PDA

View Full Version : Watch John Elway's Third NFL Start...

OrangeHoof
05-11-2017, 09:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJWnxFHyAdA

Watch John Elway's third NFL start and keep in mind that Paxton Lynch will be making his third NFL start whenever it happens this season. Far from the polished QB we remember today, Elway's play doesn't resemble an overall #1 draft choice. He does all the things young QBs do - miss receivers, hang onto the ball too long, let the clock run long causing time outs, takes off when the first receiver isn't open, telegraphs his passes, etc.

My point is that if Lynch doesn't look like an All-Pro his next time out, don't discard him. He's going to be outstanding if we just give him time to gain confidence and let the game come to him.

CoryWinget81
05-11-2017, 09:57 AM
If you want your QB to succeed, you've gotta get him on the field and let him make mistakes. Mental reps are great, and classroom study is paramount, but real game-speed experiences will dictate the career path of Paxton Lynch.

I don't think the Broncos have the want or patience to allow this to happen, since the defense is still in a rapidly slamming closed SB window.

Cugel
05-11-2017, 10:12 AM

Watch John Elway's third NFL start and keep in mind that Paxton Lynch will be making his third NFL start whenever it happens this season. Far from the polished QB we remember today, Elway's play doesn't resemble an overall #1 draft choice. He does all the things young QBs do - miss receivers, hang onto the ball too long, let the clock run long causing time outs, takes off when the first receiver isn't open, telegraphs his passes, etc.

My point is that if Lynch doesn't look like an All-Pro his next time out, don't discard him. He's going to be outstanding if we just give him time to gain confidence and let the game come to him.

Maybe he will. I don't think they are going to discard him regardless of whether he wins the starting job this year.

Fans want to leap wildly all over the place. I hear some idiots insisting that Chad Kelly is going to be the Broncos starter in 2018 and become a great NFL QB. OK, maybe, but he's about 1 billion miles away from that right now. Dude was a 7th round pick for a reason.

Trevor looks good in training camp, he's the next great QB. Paxton has a few veterans publicly comment about how much better he knows the play book this season, and suddenly he's destined for glory.

REALITY 101: If Trevor wins the starting job he won't keep it long unless the team wins. And the schedule is absolutely brutal. It's the worst schedule in the NFL. The bye week is too early and for some damn reason they play virtually every top team in the NFL.

So, unless the team comes storming out of the gates they are going to struggle against this schedule. And if the team struggles, and if Paxton looks to be CLOSE to Trevor in terms of performance, just CLOSE mind you, how long do they stick with Trevor?

Not long at all. He could lose his starting job after the bye week. He could lose his starting job by week 5 if the team goes 2-2.

And the same goes for Paxton. Will they just watch Paxton struggle out there while they have Trevor on the bench? Not if the team is losing.

Remember what happened week 17 against the Chargers in 2015? Brock Osweiler didn't play badly, his WRs dropped passes, and the team was listless. So, they went to Peyton in the 3rd Quarter.

He came in, the crowd went wild, the team suddenly picked it up and started playing great. They won that game and they named Peyton as starter in the playoffs and the rest is history.

Same thing could easily happen here. I could see Trevor playing reasonably well, but if the team isn't winning, he won't keep his job.

OrangeHoof
05-11-2017, 10:40 AM
Except this isn't Brock vs. Peyton. This is Trevor vs Paxton with Chad playing the role of Bernie Sanders. I realize the pressure to keep the defense performing at SB quality (heck, look at the Orange Crush in this video and the ways they kept the game close) but you've made the investment in a 1st-rounder and whether it is Shane Ray or Garret Bolles, you * have* to play them and let them adjust in real-game situations. Same with Lynch.

Northman
05-11-2017, 11:23 AM
I said this all last year when people were complaining about Trevor.

Slick
05-11-2017, 11:29 AM
If you want your QB to succeed, you've gotta get him on the field and let him make mistakes. Mental reps are great, and classroom study is paramount, but real game-speed experiences will dictate the career path of Paxton Lynch.

I don't think the Broncos have the want or patience to allow this to happen, since the defense is still in a rapidly slamming closed SB window.

Worked well for them last year.

Poet
05-11-2017, 12:11 PM
I said this all last year when people were complaining about Trevor.

Yeah, but the frustration was that we were letting a guy with little talent and upside go out and learn instead of our talented QB. Looking back on hindsight, last year was a waste.

OrangeHoof
05-11-2017, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but the frustration was that we were letting a guy with little talent and upside go out and learn instead of our talented QB. Looking back on hindsight, last year was a waste.

I think it would have cemented Kubiak's reputation if he turned a 7th-rounder into a winning QB. Turning a 1st-rounder into a winning QB is considered no big deal.

Poet
05-11-2017, 12:35 PM
There are so many busts at QB that getting a Qb to play well is a big deal. I get your point, though. I don't think Kubiak started TS out of hubris - but I think we all know that TS isn't the guy. Investing that time in him...was a bust.

BroncoJoe
05-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Paxton is no Elway.

/thread

Poet
05-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Paxton is no Elway.

/thread

This comment provides nothing - he doesn't have to be Elway for us to glean the point of the thread, which does have some merit.

You are a conversation killing monster!

BroncoJoe
05-11-2017, 12:40 PM
This comment provides nothing - he doesn't have to be Elway for us to glean the point of the thread, which does have some merit.

You are a conversation killing monster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhjprz1TNjI

Poet
05-11-2017, 12:43 PM
That has nothing to do with the notion that young QB's often suck ass. Sigh. you just love being difficult! You just love to argue!

BroncoJoe
05-11-2017, 12:45 PM
That has nothing to do with the notion that young QB's often suck ass. Sigh. you just love being difficult! You just love to argue!

I'm rubber you're glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you!

https://m.popkey.co/7b40ad/za5ge_s-200x150.gif

Poet
05-11-2017, 12:51 PM
I was unprepared. I...yield.

BroncoJoe
05-11-2017, 12:55 PM
I was unprepared. I...yield.

My point is, it's dumb to compare anyone in their 3rd game to an all time great player at any position.

Ryan Leaf struggled in his 3rd game. Is he now comparable to Elway too?

It's just dumb.

Poet
05-11-2017, 01:01 PM
My point is, it's dumb to compare anyone in their 3rd game to an all time great player at any position.

It's just dumb.

The comparison is just that even an all-time great looked rough in his third start, so if a guy who has talent looks rough at the third start it's not the end of the world.

It's not exactly an unfair statement - the comparison is between situation and not so much as player to player.

BroncoJoe
05-11-2017, 01:02 PM
The comparison is just that even an all-time great looked rough in his third start, so if a guy who has talent looks rough at the third start it's not the end of the world.

It's not exactly an unfair statement - the comparison is between situation and not so much as player to player.

It's dumb, King. Just give up like I thought you already did.

underrated29
05-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Just give up like I thought you already did.

King,

Joe is clearly hitting on you

BroncoJoe
05-11-2017, 01:07 PM
King,

Joe is clearly hitting on you

I love him.

slim
05-11-2017, 01:11 PM

You're dumb because you don't understand what is being compared.

Poet
05-11-2017, 01:12 PM

It's not actually dumb, though. Open your mind to a new possibility of thinking, Joe. You're saying, essentially, that Elway is a god, so how can you compare someone else to him, no? Well, if even a god is shaky in their third start, even someone less godly, like Lynch, shouldn't be dismissed because he was shaky in the third start. The thinking actually affirms your stance.

Just hold me, you savage. Just tell me it'll be alright.

Joel
05-11-2017, 01:39 PM

If you want even the most physically gifted smartest QB to FAIL, shove him on the field when he's raw and running for his life because he's the only offense you've got. Lynch needed to sit last year whether he's our franchise guy or not: He was raw even by rookie standards, didn't know the playbook nor pro game, and we hadn't managed to keep a QB healthy enough to play past Halloween since 2013 (arguably 2012; Manning played the last two months of 2013 with BOTH ankles taped.)

IF and when Lynch takes the reins, I'll be pulling for him just as hard as for Siemian: It's in the teams best interest that the best man win, regardless of whose pinup pic is on which fans wall. It's a BIT premature to start making Elway comparisons though; nearly every starting QB in NFL history looked bad by their third start, but only a handful of those were ever on par with Elway.

Valar Morghulis
05-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Any idea how elway looked in his 14th game?

slim
05-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Any idea how elway looked in his 14th game?

No, but he was pretty bad his rookie year. 47% comp % with 7 TD and 14 Ints.

Yikes!

BroncoJoe
05-11-2017, 01:49 PM
You're dumb because you don't understand what is being compared.

YOU'RE DUMB!

What's dumb, is Paxton has never (to my knowledge) been compared to Elway in any way, shape or form. So, to throw up the 3rd start of Elway's career and compare it to Paxton, is stupid.

Tebow struggled in his 3rd start as well. Should they have given him more time? I mean, he was one of the best college players ever. Paxton was rated the third best quarterback in the 2016 draft by NFLDraftScout.com while Elway was the consensus #1 overall pick. People also expected Elway to start immediately, while Paxton was considered a project and take one or two years to "adjust" to the NFL.

It's just an excuse to excuse Paxton if he sucks in his next start.

Do you like how I used excuse with two different definitions? :)

BroncoJoe
05-11-2017, 01:52 PM
It's not actually dumb, though. Open your mind to a new possibility of thinking, Joe. You're saying, essentially, that Elway is a god, so how can you compare someone else to him, no? Well, if even a god is shaky in their third start, even someone less godly, like Lynch, shouldn't be dismissed because he was shaky in the third start. The thinking actually affirms your stance.

Just hold me, you savage. Just tell me it'll be alright.

Look - nothing would pleasure me more (other than you... :) ) than Paxton being the next franchise QB for the Broncos. I'd also be thrilled if Siemian became that guy, or anyone else for that matter.

I'm a Broncos fan first and foremost. I honor those who wore the Orange and Blue and became great. I'm not much into speculating about any young players future, especially based on two games and making excuses for them if they suck in their 3rd game BEFORE IT EVEN HAPPENS!

slim
05-11-2017, 01:53 PM
YOU'RE DUMB!

What's dumb, is Paxton has never (to my knowledge) been compared to Elway in any way, shape or form. So, to throw up the 3rd start of Elway's career and compare it to Paxton, is stupid.

Tebow struggled in his 3rd start as well. Should they have given him more time? I mean, he was one of the best college players ever. Paxton was rated the third best quarterback in the 2016 draft by NFLDraftScout.com while Elway was the consensus #1 overall pick. People also expected Elway to start immediately, while Paxton was considered a project and take one or two years to "adjust" to the NFL.

It's just an excuse to excuse Paxton if he sucks in his next start.

Do you like how I used excuse with two different definitions? :)

I don't think it's an excuse, but it does serve as a reminder that sometimes young players struggle and a fair amount of patience is required.

Tebow got plenty of chances to show what he can do, not just 3 starts.

BroncoJoe
05-11-2017, 01:56 PM
I don't think it's an excuse, but it does serve as a reminder that sometimes young players struggle and a fair amount of patience is required.

Tebow got plenty of chances to show what he can do, not just 3 starts.

True, but any comparison of the two is dumb. Obviously, this is my opinion.

Tebow got us in the playoffs, and won a game. Maybe he could have developed into a better QB with patience?

* this is not an endorsement of Tebow, even though I like the guy as a person and college player

CoryWinget81
05-11-2017, 02:08 PM
If you want even the most physically gifted smartest QB to FAIL, shove him on the field when he's raw and running for his life because he's the only offense you've got. Lynch needed to sit last year whether he's our franchise guy or not: He was raw even by rookie standards, didn't know the playbook nor pro game, and we hadn't managed to keep a QB healthy enough to play past Halloween since 2013 (arguably 2012; Manning played the last two months of 2013 with BOTH ankles taped.)

IF and when Lynch takes the reins, I'll be pulling for him just as hard as for Siemian: It's in the teams best interest that the best man win, regardless of whose pinup pic is on which fans wall. It's a BIT premature to start making Elway comparisons though; nearly every starting QB in NFL history looked bad by their third start, but only a handful of those were ever on par with Elway.

I don't disagree with you on the comparisons. People that were posting graphics about tebow through 12 starts vs elway through 12 starts made me roll my eyes so hard I pulled an ocular muscle.

That being said, anyone can look good in 3 or 7 step drops in shells in the bubble. He needs real game speed to get better, though. Hiding QBs on the bench, and for the love of God please don't say Aaron Rodgers, rarely equates to better play down the road. The kind of physical player he is, with how he was successful in playing collegiate ball, he needs to see the game first hand and try and figure it out. He's not smart enough to figure it out on the whiteboard.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-11-2017, 02:28 PM

Yikes!
He was a little better his second year. He had average stats but they won a lot of games due to good defense and a decent running game, with a little Elway superhumanism sprinkled in.

He had no business playing his rookie year and said so himself

FanInAZ
05-12-2017, 02:36 AM

Elway's 3rd start was his 1st complete game. He was such a trainwreck in his 1st 2 starts that he got benched at halftime of both.

OrangeHoof
05-12-2017, 11:52 AM
We've been spoiled with all the great Elway years and then the fluky Tebow season then an over-ripe Peyton Manning, I think too many have unrealistic expectations of what a rookie QB should play like. We can't be afraid Lynch won't be perfect. He needs reps and confidence.

WARHORSE
05-12-2017, 12:38 PM
Probably just a rumor but I heard Beefstew and Brock were doing the cha-cha now.

Beef is the man.

:beer:

WARHORSE
05-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Ho hum.

slim
05-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Probably just a rumor but I heard Beefstew and Brock were doing the cha-cha now.

Beef is the man.

:beer:

Or the woman, depending on his mood.

Joel
05-12-2017, 03:26 PM
I don't disagree with you on the comparisons. People that were posting graphics about tebow through 12 starts vs elway through 12 starts made me roll my eyes so hard I pulled an ocular muscle.

That being said, anyone can look good in 3 or 7 step drops in shells in the bubble. He needs real game speed to get better, though. Hiding QBs on the bench, and for the love of God please don't say Aaron Rodgers, rarely equates to better play down the road. The kind of physical player he is, with how he was successful in playing collegiate ball, he needs to see the game first hand and try and figure it out. He's not smart enough to figure it out on the whiteboard.
I in turn agree that even the best young QBs need real experience to season them (in every sense.) My reservations (especially last year) were not about whether Lynch, Siemian or [this space for hire] was the franchises future. My concern was and is whether we had or have the protection and run support to actually allow WHOEVER our franchise QB is to develop rather than devolve into an injury-prone spaz who spends the rest of his career throwing the ball away after a 0-step drop even when he has great protection, because he EXPECTS none.

Could/can we give ANY QB time to drop back, read moving defenses, go through progressions, look off safeties, let receivers get open deep, find check downs or even just pump fake? Sure, ALL great QBs need but NONE can develop all those critical abilities without opportunities. But real "opportunity" is more than just tossing a rookie in front of a stampede of pass rushers before he's even learned the playbook, expecting THAT experience "eventually" hones his skills til he's a great leader.

I want Peyton Manning or Derek Carr, not Archie Manning or David Carr. I mean, if we want to talk about innate and inherent talent and skill that simply can't be coached, those are great comparisons, because it's literally the same DNA (or at least 50% of it) with VASTLY different results. And if, as Broncos fans, we MUST use the Elway Metric, the best "development" of his rookie season and CAREER happened before he even arrived at his first training camp:

Refusing to play for a team so hopelessly bereft of a supporting cast it "earned" the #1 overall pick. Oliver Lucks son should've talked with BOTH HoF Denver QBs. ;)

Canmore
05-13-2017, 12:58 AM

This is what I am afraid of.

Northman
05-13-2017, 05:35 AM

Lynch wasnt ready and it showed in the limited action he had.

Northman
05-13-2017, 05:40 AM

Only in hindsight. The point is valid, no QB is made or broken after 3 games regardless of how their career turned out. One guy even had a 3-16 record in Tampa Bay before going to San Fran and becoming a HOF'r. I think the overall point is it takes more than a handful of games to determine if a QB is a bust or not.

Northman
05-13-2017, 05:40 AM

Yikes!

Clearly bust material.

Simple Jaded
05-13-2017, 03:26 PM
rAV3bOJaQuY

Babalu!

Poet
05-13-2017, 03:28 PM
Clearly bust material.

Unrelated note - I think any player can be a bust. So much of it is coaching, right scheme, injury luck, etc.

Nomad
05-13-2017, 03:35 PM

It's just dumb.

I do agree and love Elway( like we all do), but at the same time, Joe, we shouldn't give up after the 3rd game either.

Valar Morghulis
05-13-2017, 03:35 PM
Unrelated note - I think any player can be a bust. So much of it is coaching, right scheme, injury luck, etc.

Yeah totally, David Carr and that dude from Cleveland are great examples of wrong place wrong time

Poet
05-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Yeah totally, David Carr and that dude from Cleveland are great examples of wrong place wrong time

Tim Couch?

Valar Morghulis
05-13-2017, 03:49 PM
Tim Couch? yeah lol. I'm drunk and couldn't remember

Nomad
05-13-2017, 03:51 PM
yeah lol. I'm drunk and couldn't remember

What time is it there, and whatcha havin? Are you still in Germany?

Valar Morghulis
05-13-2017, 03:57 PM
What time is it there, and whatcha havin? Are you still in Germany?

It's nearly eleven.

Drinking German weizen bier, about to pour a whisky.

Still in the fatherland, loving life!

Poet
05-13-2017, 03:58 PM
I wish I got to grow up watching John Elway.

Nomad
05-13-2017, 04:01 PM

You probably hated John because you were a Boomer fan.

Valar Morghulis
05-13-2017, 04:04 PM

Even in Scotland, it was pretty glorious. Although I am sure he regrets the mullet

Poet
05-13-2017, 04:05 PM

No - when I was younger I enjoyed football in general. I saw a lot of Favre, Aikman, Montana/Young because they were always on the television. The Bengals sucked ass so they were never on.

The Broncos and Elway were not on t.v. as much as they should have been in Central Illinois - we moved to Illinois when I was like four.

I've watched a shit ton of highlights and a few complete games of/on the Elway led Broncos.

Nomad
05-13-2017, 04:07 PM
No - when I was younger I enjoyed football in general. I saw a lot of Favre, Aikman, Montana/Young because they were always on the television. The Bengals sucked ass so they were never on.

The Broncos and Elway were not on t.v. as much as they should have been in Central Illinois - we moved to Illinois when I was like four.

I've watched a shit ton of highlights and a few complete games of/on the Elway led Broncos.

I forget you're a lot younger, so my apologies for false accusations. Please forgive me.

Valar Morghulis
05-13-2017, 04:09 PM
No - when I was younger I enjoyed football in general. I saw a lot of Favre, Aikman, Montana/Young because they were always on the television. The Bengals sucked ass so they were never on. The Broncos and Elway were not on t.v. as much as they should have been in Central Illinois - we moved to Illinois when I was like four. I've watched a shit ton of highlights and a few complete games of/on the Elway led Broncos.

How old are you?

Nomad
It's nearly eleven.

Drinking German weizen bier, about to pour a whisky.

Still in the fatherland, loving life!

My bucket list is to visit Germany one day. Do they make good whiskey?

Poet
I forget you're a lot younger, so my apologies for false accusations. Please forgive me.

We're all friends here, Nomad. Between the years I spent on this site, the Peyton Manning signing of the Broncos, and Elway as the GM, it was inevitable for the black and orange to be dropped for the blue and orange.

Simple Jaded
05-13-2017, 04:10 PM

They make good everything.

Poet
05-13-2017, 04:11 PM
How old are you?

Old enough to know that women in their 40's give better head, but young enough to know that firm tits and a tight grip make the world go round.

Valar Morghulis
05-13-2017, 04:12 PM

Germany makes everything better. I mean that. If you can visit, do so

But whisky, no, the Scottish still lead the world on that one!

Simple Jaded
05-13-2017, 04:14 PM
No such thing as a bad blowjob, go with the firm tits.

Poet
05-13-2017, 04:17 PM
No such thing as a bad blowjob, go with the firm tits.

When they're older they've mastered the fine arts. Plus they're not as reluctant to swallow.

Simple Jaded
05-13-2017, 04:19 PM
When they're older they've mastered the fine arts. Plus they're not as reluctant to swallow.

Maybe it's just me.

My wife has mastered the fine art of not swallowing.

Poet
05-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Oh so naive, young Kinger.

My wife has mastered the fine art of not swallowing.

I am not married. Jaded, if they aren't at least 33 they're not for me. If she ain't forty she ain't for me. I'm guessing this is because you're married.

Simple Jaded
05-13-2017, 04:23 PM
I am not married. Jaded, if they aren't at least 33 they're not for me. If she ain't forty she ain't for me. I'm guessing this is because you're married.

True, "once they say 'I do' it means I don't do that anymore"

Simple Jaded
05-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Still, I stand by my original point. Firm tits > finer points.

Poet
05-13-2017, 04:27 PM
Still, I stand by my original point. Firm tits > finer points.

Eh. I take what I can get. I seem to get more from the 30-40 crowd.

Simple Jaded
05-13-2017, 04:42 PM
Eh. I take what I can get.

Now you sound married.

Valar Morghulis
05-13-2017, 04:49 PM
Maybe it's just me. My wife has mastered the fine art of not swallowing.

I wish I was your wife

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-13-2017, 05:31 PM

He was crapping his pants when Elway was in his prime. The only thing he hated then was vegetables.

Poet
05-13-2017, 05:42 PM
He was crapping his pants when Elway was in his prime. The only thing he hated then was vegetables.

After a long night of drinking sometimes I still crap my pants.

Poet
05-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Now you sound married.

You can't have low standards if you don't have any standards.

OrangeHoof
05-13-2017, 05:54 PM

There was joke once that said
"Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the
mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the
Swiss. Hell is where the chefs are British, the mechanics French, the
lover's Swiss, the police German and it's all organised by the Italians."

gregbroncs
05-13-2017, 08:04 PM
There are so many busts at QB that getting a Qb to play well is a big deal. I get your point, though. I don't think Kubiak started TS out of hubris - but I think we all know that TS isn't the guy. Investing that time in him...was a bust.I think we are a long way from all of us knowing that TS isn't the guy.

Poet
05-13-2017, 08:04 PM
I think we are a long way from all of us knowing that TS isn't the guy.

We're not, though.

gregbroncs
05-13-2017, 08:12 PM
We're not, though.Oh boy am I going to love your reaction when he's the starting QB to begin the year.

Poet
05-13-2017, 08:23 PM
Oh boy am I going to love your reaction when he's the starting QB to begin the year.

I expect him to be the starter - doesn't mean he's the guy. The guy wins SB's, puts up monster numbers, carries a team, makes people around him better. The guy is an elite player. Undeniably superb when he hits his prime.

TS doesn't have the talent to do any of that. FFS, he's not even a great decision maker, either. He has no stand out trait. Nothing that makes him special.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-13-2017, 09:02 PM
After a long night of drinking sometimes I still crap my pants.

You amateur, it's been at least a month since I crapped my pants

Northman
05-14-2017, 08:01 AM

He was awesome to watch. Highlight reals really dont do him any justice in my opinion.

BroncoJoe
05-14-2017, 11:20 AM
I do agree and love Elway( like we all do), but at the same time, Joe, we shouldn't give up after the 3rd game either.

That's not my point, and hasn't been. There are a lot of QB's who had a crap showing for their 3rd game. Some made it, most didn't. That's my point. Everyone on earth knew Elway could/would be special. Paxton? Not so much.

Poet
05-14-2017, 12:47 PM
That's not my point, and hasn't been. There are a lot of QB's who had a crap showing for their 3rd game. Some made it, most didn't. That's my point. Everyone on earth knew Elway could/would be special. Paxton? Not so much.

I have read plenty of doubts about a young Elway. And we all know that Lynch could be great as he has insane talent. I think you are just arguing to argue! You stubborn monster!

BroncoJoe
05-15-2017, 01:15 PM
I have read plenty of doubts about a young Elway. And we all know that Lynch could be great as he has insane talent. I think you are just arguing to argue! You stubborn monster!

Well, of course you read those reports. It was by people upset that he was banking what was at the time the largest contract in NFL history.

Anyone that actually watched him play knew. It really wasn't a question. He took a shit team to the playoffs in his 2nd year. Basically carried the team with little to no help.

Poet
05-15-2017, 01:21 PM
Well, of course you read those reports. It was by people upset that he was banking what was at the time the largest contract in NFL history.

Anyone that actually watched him play knew. It really wasn't a question. He took a shit team to the playoffs in his 2nd year. Basically carried the team with little to no help.

How do you know whom it was by? Every article was about him with doubts was written by some jaded guy? Really?

And if he was poor his rookie year, but great the next year, it shows how someone can be struggling early on and then do well. And there are all kinds of rookies who struggle and then turn it around.

You're arguing against yourself, Joe.

BroncoJoe
05-15-2017, 01:29 PM
How do you know whom it was by? Every article was about him with doubts was written by some jaded guy? Really?

And if he was poor his rookie year, but great the next year, it shows how someone can be struggling early on and then do well. And there are all kinds of rookies who struggle and then turn it around.

You're arguing against yourself, Joe.

Because I have lived here virtually my whole life and have been a Broncos fan since birth? Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Even during his struggles EVERYONE knew he was special. The media needed to sell stories and papers. Controversy does exactly that, and it didn't help that he refused to play for the Colts - something that hadn't really been done before. He was considered spoiled and entitled. Hell - there was even a story in the papers criticizing him for the type of candy he handed out for Halloween! I remember the calls for Kubiak to start. It was stupid, and even Kubiak said as much at one point.

Comparing Paxton Lynch to John Elway is stupid. Paxton has basically zero comparison to Elway other than a strong arm. I'll maintain that point whether or not you agree with it.

Poet
05-15-2017, 01:32 PM
You are the must stubborn person on this board, hands down. The comparison is to a situation - where one could use just about other QB who struggled greatly early on and turned it around. No one is saying Lynch = Elway. At no point did you refute that, but you somehow know about the intent of every writer who ever wrote about Elway early on. Good grief.

BroncoJoe
05-15-2017, 01:33 PM
You are the must stubborn person on this board, hands down.

LOL. Once again: Look in the mirror, Mr. King.

Poet
05-15-2017, 01:35 PM
LOL. Once again: Look in the mirror, Mr. King.

You're actually worse than I am, but not cognizant of it. At least I know I'm a stubborn ass.

underrated29
05-15-2017, 01:43 PM

Germany is the one place I would consider living, if colorado didnt exist

BroncoJoe
05-15-2017, 01:44 PM
You're actually worse than I am, but not cognizant of it. At least I know I'm a stubborn ass.

All I can say is I choose my arguments carefully, and am usually correct - or at minimum not "wrong" most of the time. You, on the other hand, will argue something even after someone has proven you wrong. I'm fully aware of my stubbornness, but have at least admitted my mistakes when they happen. In fact, once I thought I was wrong, so I admitted I was actually right. :)

You argue as if you're practicing defending a known criminal. making absurd statements that aren't based in fact or experience - only a predisposed opinion.

I'm all in on Paxton if he turns out to be that FQB. If not, no biggie. I'd also be all in on Trevor. I don't think you would be.

Poet
05-15-2017, 01:50 PM
All I can say is I choose my arguments carefully, and am usually correct - or at minimum not "wrong" most of the time. You, on the other hand, will argue something even after someone has proven you wrong. I'm fully aware of my stubbornness, but have at least admitted my mistakes when they happen. In fact, once I thought I was wrong, so I admitted I was actually right. :)

You argue as if you're practicing defending a known criminal. making absurd statements that aren't based in fact or experience - only a predisposed opinion.

I'm all in on Paxton if he turns out to be that FQB. If not, no biggie. I'd also be all in on Trevor. I don't think you would be.

I'm going to avoid the majority of your post so as not to get personal.

I would be thrilled if TS turned into a beastly QB.

BroncoJoe
05-15-2017, 01:52 PM
I'm going to avoid the majority of your post so as not to get personal.

Probably a good idea.

Poet
05-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Probably a good idea.

I have a ton of them - greatness is a habit, Joe.

BroncoJoe
05-15-2017, 01:54 PM
greatness is a habit, Joe.

I'm fully aware.

:)

BroncoJoe
05-15-2017, 03:24 PM
King? Did you give up?

I win!

CoryWinget81
05-15-2017, 03:57 PM
greatness is a habit, Joe.

So is stuntin, if you ask David Banner...

Poet
05-15-2017, 04:14 PM
King? Did you give up?

I win!

This is what happens when I go eat a small lunch of twelve tacos.

BroncoJoe
05-15-2017, 04:22 PM
This is what happens when I go eat a small lunch of twelve tacos.

That's a 12 minute task for you. Not 50 minutes...

:heh:

Poet
05-15-2017, 04:48 PM
That's a 12 minute task for you. Not 50 minutes...

:heh:

They were big!

sneakers
05-22-2017, 01:24 AM
love the tv graphics

Shazam!
05-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Chad Kelly is going to push Lynch, either to elevate his play or bump him on the depth chart.

OrangeHoof
05-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Broncos have had five first-round QBs in my lifetime:

1) Elway. Could not have asked for anything more out of him.
2) Tommy Maddox. Drafted too soon in more ways than one and was never going to start over Elway. Generally a bust Partly the victim of being drafted into the wrong situation.
3) Jay Cutler. Undone by his ego and bad offensive lines. No one questioned his talent.
4) Tim Tebow. Should never have been a first-round QB. On talent, a third-day pick.
5) Paxton Lynch. Less talent than Elway. More talent than the others. Need to see how well he develops and if he puts in the time and gets the opportunity to be "the guy" in Denver. Otherwise, he'll be another Tommy Maddox.

7DnBrnc53
05-22-2017, 12:33 PM
1) Elway. Could not have asked for anything more out of him.

Amen, although a lot of crack smokers on different message boards claim that he is overrated (lol). These morons dwell too much on his stats under Dan Reeves, which is a mistake.

2) Tommy Maddox. Drafted too soon in more ways than one and was never going to start over Elway. Generally a bust Partly the victim of being drafted into the wrong situation.

That was when Dan Reeves was being the Offensive Talent Nazi (no Pickens for you!). Bowlen should have gotten rid of him after that pick (or chewed his posterior out big time), but it all worked out at the end of the year when Reeves' contract wasn't renewed.

3) Jay Cutler. Undone by his ego and bad offensive lines. No one questioned his talent.

The beginning of the end for him was Shanny's firing and McDiaper's hiring. However, I wonder how much he really loved the game.

4) Tim Tebow. Should never have been a first-round QB. On talent, a third-day pick.

I like Tim, but I agree. It would have been best for him to go to the Steelers or Packers and sit behind an established guy for a few years (while working on his game with Tom House in the off-season). Also, I want to say this: It's too bad that Bill Walsh passed away right before Tim started his NFL career. I wonder what Bill could have done with him. Dan Fouts gave Bill credit for making him a better QB, saying that Walsh re-built his game from the ground up.

5) Paxton Lynch. Less talent than Elway. More talent than the others. Need to see how well he develops and if he puts in the time and gets the opportunity to be "the guy" in Denver. Otherwise, he'll be another Tommy Maddox.

We will know more about him by September. Hopefully, he will be the #1 guy by then, but I am not sure that he will.

Poet
05-22-2017, 12:45 PM
I don't think anybody should actually want Carl Pickens, if that's the Pickens you are referring to.

DT88TheGreat
05-22-2017, 07:21 PM

I agree, Lynch will be fine. Chad Kelly will be flipped for a first round pick in two year's and Trevor will have his back up role unless sloter takes it.

DT88TheGreat
05-22-2017, 07:30 PM

It's just dumb.

Your reaching so hard that I wouldn't be suprised if you pulled something in your shoulder. Watching this young elway in the video you would just say he's the typical rookie who is going to suck, and you hope he learns from the mistakes and shows flashes. You are looking at this video knowing what elway became instead of focusing on the point of the thread. Elway didn't look like a franchise quarterback in his 3rd start.

Valar Morghulis
05-22-2017, 11:44 PM
He is not reaching.

He is saying you can't determine anyone's career path after their performance in their third game, regardless of draft position, hype or the standard of play in game three

FanInAZ
05-22-2017, 11:55 PM
He is not reaching.

He is saying you can't determine anyone's career path after their performance in their third game, regardless of draft position, hype or the standard of play in game three

I will... ,

...once I've finished my time machine prototype :D

DT88TheGreat
05-22-2017, 11:58 PM
He is not reaching.

That is the point. Nobody knows if he'll be good or bad. The OP was saying that people shouldn't get down on Paxton if he has a bad game.

DT88TheGreat
05-22-2017, 11:59 PM
And then you have him saying dont compare him to elway.

Poet
05-23-2017, 12:03 AM
Joe primarily argued that everyone knew Elway was god and we don't know that about Lynch.

That part is/was a reach.

DT88TheGreat
05-23-2017, 01:16 AM
Right, he is looking at elway after the fact because we all know how legendary elway became, but if you simply look at how he looked early in his career then you'd be banking on him BECOMING great based on his physical ability to sling that ball. We've seen Trevor in what 14 game's? And nothing truly says he will ever be elite, he just isn't gifted physically. Paxton on the other hand is physically gifted, Chad Kelly is physically gifted, that gives you hope that if one can put it together mentally and technique wise you have something special in the making which was the case with Elway. He was so gifted physically you just knew if he got it mentally he would be elite and that's what happened.

Poet
05-23-2017, 01:20 AM
It's confirmation bias - Joe simply has too much love in his eyes.