PDA

View Full Version : Kelly tough: Jim Kelly beats cancer, believes new Bronco Chad Kelly will beat odds

Denver Native (Carol)
05-06-2017, 01:51 PM
KUSA - Jim Kelly got a second chance at life. Maybe even a third chance and he’s going to fulfill it by making not about himself, but for others.

The Hall of Fame quarterback for Buffalo Bills during the John Elway quarterback era, Kelly was in Denver on Friday to make cancer victims aware of his all-encompassing Your Cancer Game Plan organization.

His trip in was well-timed as six days earlier, the Denver Broncos selected his nephew, Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly, with the No. 253 and final pick of the NFL Draft.

“If he comes back healthy, watch out,’’ Jim Kelly said. “Because he’s a heckuva quarterback.’’

As prospects go, Chad Kelly for the longest time was like an untamed colt who took a while to break. There were off-field skirmishes, including one that landed him briefly in jail. Elway, who is now the Broncos’ general manager, called his former colleague and fellow 1983 draft pick to ask about his nephew before drafting him.

“Bottom line is, those things happened three years ago,’’ Kelly said in an interview with 9NEWS. “People keep bringing that up and as an uncle and he’s my godson, it irritates me because he’s a good kid.

“And, yeah, he made stupid mistakes. But that was three years ago and they keep bringing it up. Most of those things happened when he was not even at Ole Miss and people keep bringing it up.

rest - plus video
http://www.9news.com/sports/kelly-tough-jim-kelly-beats-cancer-believes-new-bronco-chad-kelly-will-beat-odds/437116597

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-06-2017, 01:52 PM
He's probably the most athletic of the four.

Nomad
05-06-2017, 01:55 PM

I know I'm somewhat negative of Chad, due to his attitude. When he's on his game, he is a damn good QB & football player.

Az Snake
05-06-2017, 03:13 PM

Not sure about that but if he has the moxy the coaches will see it.

I know I'm somewhat negative of Chad, due to his attitude. When he's on his game, he is a damn good QB & football player.

A couple of good ol' Denver Bronco NFL style head slaps should straighten out his attitude.
If so, good, hope the kid gets healthy and competes.
If not and can't turn his attitude around like Johnny Football can't, it's just a last 7th round pick down the drain.
I'm sure Uncle Jim is going to put the pressure on the kid.
If the Bronco staff and team leaders can't get this guy pointed in the right direction, no one can.

It will be interesting watching the kid develop and I wish him the best.
Turn the page Chad and see the future !!!

Nomad
05-06-2017, 03:58 PM

A couple of good ol' Denver Bronco NFL style head slaps should straighten out his attitude.
If so, good, hope the kid gets healthy and competes.
If not and can't turn his attitude around like Johnny Football can't, it's just a last 7th round pick down the drain.
If the Bronco staff and team leaders can't get this guy pointed in the right direction, no one can.

It will be interesting watching the kid develop and I wish him the best.
Turn the page Chad and see the future !!!

Yep, AZ, we want what's best for our BRONCOS, and if Chad Kelly is the one, then looking forward to many Ws with him behind center.

BroncoWave
05-06-2017, 04:02 PM
"Years ago", like the fight he got into with someone at his brother's high school football game this past fall?

Cugel
05-06-2017, 04:38 PM
I'd say this kid has very little chance, especially as he's recovering from injury right now and won't be ready to play for a while. But, he's an intriguing physical prospect.

But, as we've seen with Trevor versus Paxton, when it comes to playing the mental is to the physical as three is to one. Peyton Manning wasn't a very athletic QB. He had an average arm, and no speed or elusiveness at all. All mental. QBs who rely on physical gifts are a short-term story in the NFL even if they succeed (Ex A: RG III).

Why do both coaching staffs, Kubiak and VJ love Trevor? Because he's Captain Checkdown. That is not an epithet to NFL coaches.

In the NFL coaches are risk averse. Their mantra isn't "throw it into a tight window and make something happen with your arm strength ala Jay Cutler." It's "Dont' turn the ball over for God's Sake!" And that's especially true with this defense. The defense will keep the Broncos in every football game. So long as the Offense doesn't turn the ball over.

That's why Trevor has a better chance to start this year than Paxton. And Chad Kelly has no chance at all this season.

MOtorboat
05-06-2017, 04:42 PM
"Years ago", like the fight he got into with someone at his brother's high school football game this past fall?

*the brawl which he ran onto the field to join...

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-06-2017, 04:47 PM

I know it's debatable; I'm just impressed with his running ability against SEC competition. I don't know if the other 3 could do that. They all have pretty lively arms, especially Lynch, Kelly and the kid from Northern Colorado

Cugel
05-06-2017, 04:49 PM
This is the past that had so many NFL teams take Kelly completely off their boards. They wonder (legitimately) if the kid really gets it or whether he's all talk and will get in off-filed trouble again because he's a hot-head. I don't profess to know the answer to that, but the record is not encouraging:

Chad Kelly Timeline
Fall 2008 Suspended for seven games during freshman season at Red Lion H.S.
8/2009 Dismissed from Red Lion High School football team
11/2009 Enrolls at St. Joseph's Collegiate Institute
Fall 2010 St. Joe's wins Monsignor Martin Association AA title, Kelly MVP of title game
6/2011 Commits to Clemson. Makes the Elite 11 finals
Fall 2011 Leads St. Joe's to another title game
4/13/2013 After redshirting, suffers ACL tear during Clemson spring game
4/12/2014 Gets in argument with coaches during Clemson spring game
4/14/2014 Dismissed from Clemson. A few days later is at East Mississippi C.C.
12/6/2014 Helps lead EMCC to undefeated season and third national title in four years
12/10/2014 Commits to Ole Miss, signs scholarship a week later
12/21/2014 Arrested after late-night incident in Buffalo, numerous charges filed [that's the weapons charge where he threatened to go back to a club where he got in a fight and "spray the place".]
1/2015 Hugh Freeze announces that they are "going to give it a go," Kelly enrolls
3/2015 Settles legal issues, participates in mission trip to Haiti

Who knows? Maybe he's put all that behind him and is ready to study hard.

Nomad
05-06-2017, 04:49 PM
Also, good to hear Jim beat cancer, and has a second chance at life. Though, I've always been a BRONCO fan since the late 80s, I did root for the Bills in all those SBs.

spikerman
05-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Has he previously been supervised by a leader of men?

BroncoWave
05-06-2017, 05:02 PM
*the brawl which he ran onto the field to join...

Regardless, it still shows his judgement can still be lacking. I hope he has grown up, but he still has to prove it.

DT88TheGreat
05-06-2017, 05:57 PM
I am rooting for Chad kelly, because if Paxton doesn't work out we have another franchise quarterback prospect.

DT88TheGreat
05-06-2017, 06:04 PM
All I know is.Kelly is Vance Joseph pick, Vance wants a chance to reel him in the way he connects with player's. If he can get to him then fine, if not he rrolled the dice on a 7th rounder.

Cugel
05-06-2017, 06:51 PM
I am rooting for Chad kelly, because if Paxton doesn't work out we have another franchise quarterback prospect.

If Paxton flames out, Elway will go back into the 2018 draft and get a QB in the first or second round. And Chad will be a backup to that guy if he makes the roster.

Simple Jaded
05-06-2017, 07:23 PM
The Broncos have a sweet QB depth chart, and taking a look at the level of play around the NFL I don't see how fans/coaches/teammates have the balls to choose sides. Odds are against any of the 4 will pan out and you need to be pulling for every chance they get.

DT88TheGreat
05-06-2017, 09:07 PM
If Paxton flames out, Elway will go back into the 2018 draft and get a QB in the first or second round. And Chad will be a backup to that guy if he makes the roster.

I.don't think elway will give up on Paxton after one year of starting, if kelly is healthy and his mind right they won't give up on him either and they'll just keep developing lynch, kelly and sloter. All 3 have the tools. If our staff can't make a franchise quarterback out of one of these guy's then well need to be picking top 2 in the draft and take one.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-06-2017, 09:15 PM
The Broncos have a sweet QB depth chart, and taking a look at the level of play around the NFL I don't see how fans/coaches/teammates have the balls to choose sides. Odds are against any of the 4 will pan out and you need to be pulling for every chance they get.

I'm excited with the youth and upside we have at the position. I just don't see how you develop all four, although McCoy is a brilliant coordinator. Hopefully he can provide some oversight to developing these guys.

My dream scenario is one of them gets parlayed for a 1st round pick in the future and another leads us to to the trophy.

This is going to sound crazy, but I think Kelly is the toughest competitor of them all, so....

DT88TheGreat
05-06-2017, 10:16 PM
I'm excited with the youth and upside we have at the position. I just don't see how you develop all four, although McCoy is a brilliant coordinator. Hopefully he can provide some oversight to developing these guys.

My dream scenario is one of them gets parlayed for a 1st round pick in the future and another leads us to to the trophy.

This is going to sound crazy, but I think Kelly is the toughest competitor of them all, so....

Kelly does have that I just want to shit on your defense personality and let you know about it too!

Simple Jaded
05-06-2017, 11:01 PM

I'd hire another assistant QB coach strictly for developmental purposes.

My dream scenario? Siemian leads Denver to SB win this year, Denver trades him for multiple picks.

Then Lynch leads to back-to-back SB wins, Denver trades him for multiple draft picks.

Then Kelly.

Then Sloter.

The entire time investing picks in Defense and OL to keep/get them dominant and another QB or two.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I've come around to this kind of model recently, much rather have a dominant D with an ok QB on rookie contract than an ok team surrounding an ok QB making $25-$30 M.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-06-2017, 11:47 PM
Kelly does have that I just want to shit on your defense personality and let you know about it too!

My defense personality needs a good dose of fecal matter?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-06-2017, 11:48 PM

My dream scenario? Siemian leads Denver to SB win this year, Denver trades him for multiple picks.

Then Lynch leads to back-to-back SB wins, Denver trades him for multiple draft picks.

Then Kelly.

Then Sloter.

The entire time investing picks in Defense and OL to keep/get them dominant and another QB or two.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I've come around to this kind of model recently, much rather have a dominant D with an ok QB on rookie contract than an ok team surrounding an ok QB making $25-$30 M.

I really enjoy watching them win with defense. Sometimes it's more enjoyable than what it was to watch them win with the west coast offense.

BroncoWave
05-06-2017, 11:49 PM

Then Kelly.

Then Sloter.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Ah yes, the ol win the super bowl every year model. Why has no one thought of that one yet? :D

ShaneFalco
05-07-2017, 12:03 AM
i saw the hit put on that kid that caused him to run out on the field. Was way outta bounds and hit the kid into a fence.

MOtorboat
05-07-2017, 12:05 AM
i saw the hit put on that kid that caused him to run out on the field. Was way outta bounds and hit the kid into a fence.

Well then, totally justified.

:rolleyes:

Simple Jaded
05-07-2017, 01:59 AM
Ah yes, the ol win the super bowl every year model. Why has no one thought of that one yet? :D

No this is legit. Would I lie to you?

ShaneFalco
05-07-2017, 04:53 AM

shut your mouth before i go get my ak and spray you.

https://media.giphy.com/media/TlK63EQrZfUqgO6SKEE/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/yoJC2IphWo6aZt3IA0/giphy.gif

Hawgdriver
05-07-2017, 01:12 PM
That second one looks kinda fake, like someone photostored it. First one's total legit tho. Good find, we need more strong rebuplics on the team, gun-rights activisms.

Poet
05-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Wtfbbqsauce

DT88TheGreat
05-08-2017, 03:41 AM
My defense personality needs a good dose of fecal matter?

What do you mean?

DT88TheGreat
05-08-2017, 03:43 AM
That second one looks kinda fake, like someone photostored it. First one's total legit tho. Good find, we need more strong rebuplics on the team, gun-rights activisms.

Hey man guns are just tool's. Nothing like some good old plinking and stuff.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-08-2017, 08:01 AM
What do you mean?

Read your post I quoted

ShaneFalco
05-11-2017, 07:45 PM

"He wasn't involved in no brawl," Jim Kelly said Thursday. "But people have to put that as a headline, 'Chad Kelly involved in a brawl.' He goes, 'Uncle Jim, I saw my little brother getting kicked. What do you want me to do, stand there and watch?' He said, 'I wasn't doing anything wrong. I was just trying to get him off the bottom of the pile at a high school football game.'"

Pretty much what happened

Cugel
05-12-2017, 08:30 AM

That's true. Paxton hasn't shown anything so far, and Trevor wasn't a 7th round pick because he has tremendous potential. Most teams didn't bother to seriously scout him at all (according to some NFL GMs who have spoken on 104.3 the Fan).

Well, Trevor exceeded expectations, but so what? He still sucked last year and the offense stunk, and the defending SB champions failed to make the playoffs. So, no. Trevor doesn't have the job locked down.

Are either or both of these guys going to become a top 10 QB in the NFL - equal to Phillip Rivers or Derek Carr?

Because if not, Elway will draft another QB, since having a top 10 QB is pretty much necessary to winning the SB.

Cugel
05-12-2017, 08:35 AM
"He wasn't involved in no brawl," Jim Kelly said Thursday. "But people have to put that as a headline, 'Chad Kelly involved in a brawl.' He goes, 'Uncle Jim, I saw my little brother getting kicked. What do you want me to do, stand there and watch?' He said, 'I wasn't doing anything wrong. I was just trying to get him off the bottom of the pile at a high school football game.'"

Child please! If that was the only off-field incident, no problem. You know it wasn't. He was involved in a whole string of stupid. Not just one thing. Or two things. . . .

Only 1 team in the NFL would even consider drafting him, and he has what scouts agree is 2nd round athletic talent. That means he probably has more athletic ability than several of the QBs taken in the first round.

But, he's pretty much a world class bone-head, so that talent is wasted. Do I expect him to suddenly understand what it means to be a starting NFL QB and what you have to do and how you have to act? Not really. :coffee:

He can talk all he wants, but unless we see a totally different attitude and humility that doesn't include coming into town and comparing himself publicly to John Elway or Brett Favre as a QB - no. Just no. He's always gotten by on his athletic talent. But this is the NFL and as we see with Paxton, raw athleticism and arm strength are the least of the things you need to be QB in this league.

BroncoJoe
05-12-2017, 09:13 AM
Child please! If that was the only off-field incident, no problem. You know it wasn't. He was involved in a whole string of stupid. Not just one thing. Or two things. . . .

Only 1 team in the NFL would even consider drafting him, and he has what scouts agree is 2nd round athletic talent. That means he probably has more athletic ability than several of the QBs taken in the first round.

But, he's pretty much a world class bone-head, so that talent is wasted. Do I expect him to suddenly understand what it means to be a starting NFL QB and what you have to do and how you have to act? Not really. :coffee:

He can talk all he wants, but unless we see a totally different attitude and humility that doesn't include coming into town and comparing himself publicly to John Elway or Brett Favre as a QB - no. Just no. He's always gotten by on his athletic talent. But this is the NFL and as we see with Paxton, raw athleticism and arm strength are the least of the things you need to be QB in this league.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe he did that.

BroncoJoe
05-12-2017, 09:21 AM

OK - I see where he did say that:

http://1043thefan.com/156984/chad-kelly-the-drive-5117/

at the 3:00 mark.

I know he was asked something similar at a press conference and he deferred. Big Al was impressed with his answer - I'd figure you would be all in with a Big Al endorsement.

Rick
05-12-2017, 09:49 AM
That's true. Paxton hasn't shown anything so far, and Trevor wasn't a 7th round pick because he has tremendous potential. Most teams didn't bother to seriously scout him at all (according to some NFL GMs who have spoken on 104.3 the Fan).

Well, Trevor exceeded expectations, but so what? He still sucked last year and the offense stunk, and the defending SB champions failed to make the playoffs. So, no. Trevor doesn't have the job locked down.

Are either or both of these guys going to become a top 10 QB in the NFL - equal to Phillip Rivers or Derek Carr?

Because if not, Elway will draft another QB, since having a top 10 QB is pretty much necessary to winning the SB.

I don't think the future will be Trevor and I feel he will always be a journeyman but I really don't think it is fair to say he sucked.

DT88TheGreat
05-12-2017, 01:15 PM

If my little brother or whoever my loved one is is getting stomped I am knocking guys out on top of the pile as well.

Cugel
05-12-2017, 03:14 PM

He was interviewed by DMAC & Big Al on 104.3 The Fan and asked who in the NFL he compared his abilities to and he answered "John Elway and Brett Favre." Now, I think he probably misspoke, but it came off like he's very arrogant and doesn't understand just how far he has to go.

This is not his team. He's not even going to be on the field with his injury. He has talent, but mentally he's been a complete bone-head. His uncle apologist talks about his getting into a fight at the high school football game, but that was only one of a long string of incidents that included all kinds of outrageous stuff. He was thrown off his team for fighting with the coaches for instance.

Well, NFL scouts & GMs looked at that and 31 of them said "pass" he wasn't even on their draft boards. The Broncos were willing to use a compensatory pick that was the last pick of the entire draft on this guy. He's a developmental guy who might be of some use in the future.

But it's very long-term at best and probably never going to happen at all. How many former 7th round QBs are starting in the NFL today? I think none. Brady was 6th round, but finding a Hall of Famer in the 6th round is not more likely than a giant asteroid hitting the earth and wiping out the dinosaurs. I mean it can happen, but don't hold your breath!

So, the kid has a chance if he gets his mind right. But, as President Kennedy said "10% never get the word."

Personally, I think he's one of that 10% that just never get it and don't last long in the NFL. Well, we'll see. . . . .

BroncoJoe
05-12-2017, 03:16 PM
He was interviewed by DMAC & Big Al on 104.3 The Fan and asked who in the NFL he compared his abilities to and he answered "John Elway and Brett Favre." Now, I think he probably misspoke, but it came off like he's very arrogant and doesn't understand just how far he has to go.

This is not his team. He's not even going to be on the field with his injury. He has talent, but mentally he's been a complete bone-head. His uncle apologist talks about his getting into a fight at the high school football game, but that was only one of a long string of incidents that included all kinds of outrageous stuff. He was thrown off his team for fighting with the coaches for instance.

Well, NFL scouts & GMs looked at that and 31 of them said "pass" he wasn't even on their draft boards. The Broncos were willing to use a compensatory pick that was the last pick of the entire draft on this guy. He's a developmental guy who might be of some use in the future.

But it's very long-term at best and probably never going to happen at all. How many former 7th round QBs are starting in the NFL today? I think none. Brady was 6th round, but finding a Hall of Famer in the 6th round is not more likely than a giant asteroid hitting the earth and wiping out the dinosaurs. I mean it can happen, but don't hold your breath!

When you're being forced to answer a question, you have to come up with something. His game does resemble Elway and Favre. He didn't say he was better, just that if forced to answer, his style of play is similar.

Listening isn't one of your strong traits. Plus, read further down in the thread before blindly responding.

Cugel
05-12-2017, 03:20 PM
I don't think the future will be Trevor and I feel he will always be a journeyman but I really don't think it is fair to say he sucked.

I don't think it's fair to say "he sucks now," because who knows how he will perform in his second year starting, with a new offensive system and new coaching staff, but he was, I believe, the 24th rated starting QB in the NFL and by a number of statistical measures.

That plus the fact that the offense did absolutely nothing in many games = "pretty much sucky." Cecil Lammey for instance, who is a strong Paxton partisan, has a yard long list of all the statistical measures by which Trevor demonstrated his suck-atude.

We might have a different view after this season of course. I certainly hope that is right since I like Trevor (why would anybody dislike him?)

Cugel
05-12-2017, 03:25 PM
When you're being forced to answer a question, you have to come up with something. His game does resemble Elway and Favre. He didn't say he was better, just that if forced to answer, his style of play is similar.

Listening isn't one of your strong traits. Plus, read further down in the thread before blindly responding.

If you think he's going to be something good, fine. You could be right.

But, the odds are you're wrong. Certainly 31 NFL teams don't think so.

I don't think he's got the right attitude after listening to him talk. Your opinion may vary and nobody really knows at this point.

BroncoJoe
05-12-2017, 03:26 PM
I don't think it's fair to say "he sucks now," because who knows how he will perform in his second year starting, with a new offensive system and new coaching staff, but he was, I believe, the 24th rated starting QB in the NFL and by a number of statistical measures.

That plus the fact that the offense did absolutely nothing in many games = "pretty much sucky." Cecil Lammey for instance, who is a strong Paxton partisan, has a yard long list of all the statistical measures by which Trevor demonstrated his suck-atude.

We might have a different view after this season of course. I certainly hope that is right since I like Trevor (why would anybody dislike him?)

I find it hilarious you constantly quote Cecil Lammey. He's been wrong about nearly everything he comments on.

Actually, now that I think about it, it makes sense.

BroncoJoe
05-12-2017, 03:28 PM
If you think he's going to be something good, fine. You could be right.

But, the odds are you're wrong. Certainly 31 NFL teams don't think so.

I don't think he's got the right attitude after listening to him talk. Your opinion may vary and nobody really knows at this point.

Odds are nearly EVERYONE is wrong when it comes to drafting players.

Cugel
05-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Odds are nearly EVERYONE is wrong when it comes to drafting players.

OK. It's Friday afternoon and I could use a beer right about now. I have several more people to call for business and I'm putting off drafting an opinion letter due to laziness, and I don't really know what point you are leading to here.

Is it uncertain what Chad will do in the NFL? OK.

BroncoJoe
05-12-2017, 03:42 PM
OK. It's Friday afternoon and I could use a beer right about now. I have several more people to call for business and I'm putting off drafting an opinion letter due to laziness, and I don't really know what point you are leading to here.

Is it uncertain what Chad will do in the NFL? OK.

Your apology is accepted.

I'm having a beer already.

Joel
05-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Uncle Jim already tried, a lot, before giving it up as a bad job, at least according to Wikipedia (less reliable than a local beat reporter wearing team-colored glasses, but usually less biased; in all seriousness, Wikipedias citation IS a Buffalo beat reporter, so if people trust such stuff, here ya go (http://buffalonews.com/2015/12/19/chad-kelly-rises-from-the-depths-to-college-footballs-pinnacle/).) THAT is the problem with Elway-Kelly comparisons: Elway grew up with a quality football coach as his dad and LISTENED TO HIM. Swag Kelly won't take direction.

Sloters hard luck story makes the "people think being Jim Kellys nephew made Chads life easier, but that actually made it much harder" even more nauseating.

If Sloter had pulled half what Kelly has he'd be lucky Kellys dad even hired him to bag groceries ("Remember: Do NOT punch and/or shoot customers!") If Kelly had Sloters work ethic and team mentality he'd have started for the #1 ranked team in the "National" "Championship" game. Instead, his "bad luck" (i.e. a HoF mentor from birth, squandered as a wannaG) has "reduced" him to merely starting A bowl game for a top tier school, after lunch with Archie and Eli Manning.

Roll with Siemian and Lynch, stash Sloter on the PS squad to season/monitor. Kelly will exceed my expectations if he completes camp without capping a cheerleader.

BroncoWave
05-12-2017, 05:54 PM

Oh ok cool so we get his uncle's side of the story. I'm sure that's a totally unbiased account of what happened.

Cugel
05-13-2017, 11:19 AM
Uncle Jim already tried, a lot, before giving it up as a bad job, at least according to Wikipedia (less reliable than a local beat reporter wearing team-colored glasses, but usually less biased; in all seriousness, Wikipedias citation IS a Buffalo beat reporter, so if people trust such stuff, here ya go (http://buffalonews.com/2015/12/19/chad-kelly-rises-from-the-depths-to-college-footballs-pinnacle/).) THAT is the problem with Elway-Kelly comparisons: Elway grew up with a quality football coach as his dad and LISTENED TO HIM. Swag Kelly won't take direction.

Sloters hard luck story makes the "people think being Jim Kellys nephew made Chads life easier, but that actually made it much harder" even more nauseating.

If Sloter had pulled half what Kelly has he'd be lucky Kellys dad even hired him to bag groceries ("Remember: Do NOT punch and/or shoot customers!") If Kelly had Sloters work ethic and team mentality he'd have started for the #1 ranked team in the "National" "Championship" game. Instead, his "bad luck" (i.e. a HoF mentor from birth, squandered as a wannaG) has "reduced" him to merely starting A bowl game for a top tier school, after lunch with Archie and Eli Manning.

Roll with Siemian and Lynch, stash Sloter on the PS squad to season/monitor. Kelly will exceed my expectations if he completes camp without capping a cheerleader.

Capping a cheerleader? :laugh:

I'd give him a little longer before he's shooting people associated with the team than just training camp.

I think his problem is not that he'll get in off-field trouble. This is just my opinion, but listening to him he doesn't seem to know what a long shot he is. He is NOT going to get an equal chance to win the starting job.

In fact, due to his injury, he won't be available until September.

All his career he's relied upon his great natural arm strength and athleticism. Only, you can't do that in the NFL. Everybody is good, everybody is talented. He's got to prove himself in practice - only he's not going to get very many reps, and none with the starters.

Have you guys ever been buried on the depth chart on a team? You feel like you could make tremendous plays and nobody is watching. The coach is off watching the first team, and an assistant is in charge of the backups and he's not really paying that much attention. That's how I felt on my team in high school. I wasn't all that good to be honest, but once the coach got the idea "this guy is not my starter" I kinda got buried without another thought. I never got another chance. That can happen.

In fact, I think that's kind of what happened to Paxton last year. Your chances to impress the coaching staff are not very many. They are busy and once an idea about a guy gets imprinted in their minds, it's incredibly hard to change it by playing better. You really have to be a LOT better to get them to even notice.

Joel
05-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Capping a cheerleader? :laugh:

I'd give him a little longer before he's shooting people associated with the team than just training camp.

I think his problem is not that he'll get in off-field trouble. This is just my opinion, but listening to him he doesn't seem to know what a long shot he is. He is NOT going to get an equal chance to win the starting job.
That's a product of the same mindset that led to "Swag Kelly" before he was even out of HS (and I thought St. Tebow showed huge balls running political SB ads before he was even out of college!) and fights with bouncers and HS players. However much his parents deny it, he likely thinks his uncle gave him a leg up on his competition and a spotlight even when buried on the depth chart (when it even allowed such burial, which was seldom.)

That thought would likely be ACCURATE whether he's had it or not, but no one in the NFL is impressed by a relatives accomplishments long past. It's more like when Archie and Eli Manning took him to lunch at an Ole Miss restaurant named for their respective numbers: They were there to give him a wake up call, not find out "what's Jim Kelly really like?1</fanboy>" Elway doesn't NEED to ask what Jim Kelly's like (answer: Usually not good enough to beat him.)

I was being illustratively hyperbolic with the cheerleader line, but if Chad Kelly does better than Brian Gries he WILL exceed my expectations.

Cugel
05-13-2017, 02:38 PM
As for Kelly, there's nothing wrong with being confident. It's hard to succeed if you're not confident. But, is he really ready to do what it takes to become a starter? He's never shown that kind of humility or dedication.

If he had, he would have kept his nose clean prior to the draft and he'd have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick right now, instead of Mr. Irrelevant. Because that's how high his talent level is. It's one thing to SAY you understand, but it's quite another to demonstrate it on the field and off the field.

Joel
05-13-2017, 04:32 PM
Yup, this isn't about confidence, but OVER-confidence, sense of entitlement and consequent irresponsibility. The NFL couldn't care less about those except that they translate into awful onfield performance. "Just win, baby," but with the Simpson-Lombardi Corrolary: "If you lose, you're out of the family."

Denver Native (Carol)
05-19-2017, 09:09 PM
Uncle Jim has no problem vouching for Chad Kelly

Jim Kelly tells Hannah Storm that he is confident that his nephew Chad is past his off-field issues and will be an asset to the Broncos.
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19360166

Cugel
05-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Uncle Jim has no problem vouching for Chad Kelly

Jim Kelly tells Hannah Storm that he is confident that his nephew Chad is past his off-field issues and will be an asset to the Broncos.
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19360166

And we should listen to the uncle talk "totally objectively" about his nephy-poo because?

"I have every confidence in the world that my wastrel ne'er-do-well nephew has totally turned a new leaf and will now suddenly make good!"

ShaneFalco
05-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Oh ok cool so we get his uncle's side of the story. I'm sure that's a totally unbiased account of what happened.

Me and Kelly dont leave other accounts up for debate.

we spray the club with our aks.

Leave No witnesses.

Simple Jaded
05-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Me and Kelly dont leave other accounts up for debate.

we spray the club with our aks.

Leave No witnesses.
Here's one, Slick.

Slick
05-20-2017, 10:19 PM
Here's one, Slick.

Yes. Falco is loco for Tebow. No doubt.

sneakers
05-22-2017, 01:23 AM
Chad Kelly has cancer too???????

FanInAZ
05-22-2017, 04:44 AM

Actually, years ago is a relative term. Yes, a year is 365.25 days here on earth, but its only 87.969 earth days on Mercury.

https://www.universetoday.com/13943/mercury/

So from the standpoint of Mercurians, this incident happened 2 1/2 years ago :D

Simple Jaded
05-23-2017, 12:17 AM
I wonder what the legal drinking age is on Mercury.

FanInAZ
05-23-2017, 12:29 AM

Considering that it’s recommended that humans not drink alcohol in hot weather because it actually dehydrates us, we might be forbidden to drink it on Mercury. However, Mercurians may have an entirely different biological makeup. Therefore, they may not get drunk drinking alcohol, they may party hard with water.

Simple Jaded
05-23-2017, 11:04 PM
Considering that it’s recommended that humans not drink alcohol in hot weather because it actually dehydrates us, we might be forbidden to drink it on Mercury. However, Mercurians may have an entirely different biological makeup. Therefore, they may not get drunk drinking alcohol, they may party hard with water.

Did they legalize marijuana?

FanInAZ
05-24-2017, 12:10 AM
Did they legalize marijuana?

They've banned the importation of non-indigenous drugs.

Cugel
05-26-2017, 08:12 PM

Well, since there's no atmosphere on Mercury, if somebody tried to tell you you wouldn't be able to hear them!

BTW: If you go to Mercury remember to bring your thermal underwear because on the dark side of Mercury the temperature -280 degrees F. On the other hand, if you feel chilly you can go over to the sunny side, where the temperature reaches 800 degrees and will roast you to a nice crispy golden brown like a well done Turkey in about 15 minutes.

MOtorboat
05-26-2017, 08:15 PM
OHHHH!

Nerd Burn!