PDA

View Full Version : Kollar to Gotsis: Get Bigger and Stronger, or else

Hawgdriver
05-04-2017, 02:48 AM
Maybe someone already posted this...it's from February. I missed it, if so.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/us-sports/denver-broncos-warn-australian-nfl-player-adam-gotsis-to-bulk-up-for-the-new-season-20170208-gu8qw5.html

Davii
05-04-2017, 07:36 AM
Kollar seems to be a hell of a coach. Glad he's still with us.

Hopefully we see a bigger, stronger, better Gotsis. We need our lines on both sides of the ball to be much better this year.

Jsteve01
05-04-2017, 08:35 AM
there is no doubt he's an amazing 3-4 line coach. ask JJ Watt Ask Malik. Ask Wolfe. Pretty good resume

Simple Jaded
05-04-2017, 11:05 PM
Gotsis was his pick.

Cugel
05-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Gotsis was his pick.

I was going to point this out. Dude was maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick, but Kollar wanted him.

Well he was useless his rookie season and the Broncos just drafted a DT/DE in the 2nd round who figures to be a day 1 starter. Gotsis has to be a LOT better this year or he won't make the roster. And he has to stay healthy. Sounds like the dude is on thin ice. Another wasted 2nd round pick to go with Montee Ball & all the others?

DT88TheGreat
05-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Gotsis has.been.challenged, rehab is over, a year on repaired knee is over and it's time to get.bigg strong faster which is whwt.they said he looks to be when he came in a few weeks ago. It will be awesome to be deep on the DL, so offenses dont think.they can.fast pace us and then when we sub theres a drop off in domniance. Can't wait too see if he brings it.because it would make up 6 deep on the DL with all guy's who can.be disruptive

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-05-2017, 09:09 PM
I was going to point this out. Dude was maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick, but Kollar wanted him.

Well he was useless his rookie season and the Broncos just drafted a DT/DE in the 2nd round who figures to be a day 1 starter. Gotsis has to be a LOT better this year or he won't make the roster. And he has to stay healthy. Sounds like the dude is on thin ice. Another wasted 2nd round pick to go with Montee Ball & all the others?

I don't know if it's that bleak.

Gotsis was essentially an early 3rd with where we picked him. He wasn't taken that much higher than where he was projected.

His production last year was non existent in the first half of the season, but in the final few games he had some production. I expect him to crack the rotation this year. Aside from that, we need to be 4 deep at DE anyway.

Do you really expect Walker to start? I was thinking he would primarily be a pass rusher the first year or two. He needs time to add 10-15 pounds.

Timmy!
05-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Bobcats don't **** around.

Simple Jaded
05-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Gotsis was a 3rd roundish pick before his knee injury, I like the dude, but wtf is Kollar bitching about? It was his pick.

dogfish
05-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Gotsis was a 3rd roundish pick before his knee injury, I like the dude, but wtf is Kollar bitching about? It was his pick.

that doesn't mean he has to coddle the dude. . .

Cugel
05-06-2017, 06:55 PM
I don't know if it's that bleak.

Gotsis was essentially an early 3rd with where we picked him. He wasn't taken that much higher than where he was projected.

His production last year was non existent in the first half of the season, but in the final few games he had some production. I expect him to crack the rotation this year. Aside from that, we need to be 4 deep at DE anyway.

Do you really expect Walker to start? I was thinking he would primarily be a pass rusher the first year or two. He needs time to add 10-15 pounds.

I don't mean he'll be a 3 down DE starting day 1. I mean he's going to be a situational pass rusher to start. But, he's going to play. He could of course prove to be better than Jared Crick and Gotsis so he starts at RDE.

Cugel
05-06-2017, 06:57 PM

That's what bothered me too. Kollar forced that guy onto the roster, and now he's saying "you're a disappointment and you need to improve quick." I'd say stop listening to Kollar on personnel decisions. He should stick to his DL.

Simple Jaded
05-06-2017, 07:09 PM
That's what bothered me too. Kollar forced that guy onto the roster, and now he's saying "you're a disappointment and you need to improve quick." I'd say stop listening to Kollar on personnel decisions. He should stick to his DL.

They need to do that with all their coaches, scouts and personnel people have been studying the players for years, coaches have invested a few hours.

Simple Jaded
05-06-2017, 07:13 PM
that doesn't mean he has to coddle the dude. . .

No, thst would only compound the mistake that he made by wasting such a premium pick.

Cugel
05-09-2017, 11:16 AM
No, thst would only compound the mistake that he made by wasting such a premium pick.

Who knows Jaded? Just because he sucked and was hurt in his first year doesn't mean he CAN'T improve a lot. Doesn't mean he necessarily will, but he could. If he does, then fine. If not, don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out of town Gotsis!

After all, Demaryius looked pretty much a wasted pick his first couple of seasons in the NFL.

Valar Morghulis
05-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Who knows Jaded? Just because he sucked and was hurt in his first year doesn't mean he CAN'T improve a lot. Doesn't mean he necessarily will, but he could. If he does, then fine. If not, don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out of town Gotsis! After all, Demaryius looked pretty much a wasted pick his first couple of seasons in the NFL.

I know jaded

Poet
05-09-2017, 02:38 PM
I know jaded

You know only what he allows you to know.

Cugel
05-09-2017, 04:14 PM
I know jaded

You know him in the biblical sense? I would hesitate to admit that if I were you!

Once again punctuation makes all the difference and a dropped comma is cause for malicious sport on these boards. Sigh. At least I'm not a baby seal!

Hawgdriver
05-09-2017, 06:22 PM
You know him in the biblical sense? I would hesitate to admit that if I were you!

Once again punctuation makes all the difference and a dropped comma is cause for malicious sport on these boards. Sigh. At least I'm not a baby seal!
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RwbwmPC9_Do/hqdefault.jpg

Simple Jaded
05-11-2017, 12:15 AM
I like Gotsis...but not as much as Jaded. I know from experience, if ya know what I mean dude.

Poet
05-11-2017, 12:19 AM
Jaded...Cugel...

God dammit.

Cugel
05-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Jaded...Cugel...

God dammit.

You just can't keep up because we're running rings round you, logically! And yes, that is a metaphor that tangles up my brain.

Poet
05-13-2017, 02:46 PM
You just can't keep up because we're running rings round you, logically! And yes, that is a metaphor that tangles up my brain.

Jaded is logic god.

Simple Jaded
05-13-2017, 02:58 PM
Jaded is logic god.

This makes a lot of sense.

Joel
05-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Who knows Jaded? Just because he sucked and was hurt in his first year doesn't mean he CAN'T improve a lot. Doesn't mean he necessarily will, but he could.

I know jaded
I only know him online, but still disagree with Cugel: If Jaded hasn't put it together by now, he probably never will, and the Broncos can't afford tolerating a charity case in the increasingly faint hope he eventually "gets it." This team is about winning championships, not coddling fan favorites. ;)

I like Gotsis...but not as much as Jaded. I know from experience, if ya know what I mean dude.
Full marks for doing the fortune cookie thing with the ancient admonition to "Know thyself." Bonus points for not including a pic.

LTC Pain
05-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Hey, i like it! Go "Little Wolf"!!!

Andrew Mason‏Verified account
@MaseDenver

Following
More
Domata Peko says the D-linemen are calling Adam Gotsis "Little Wolfe."

DT88TheGreat
05-17-2017, 01:13 AM
Hey, i like it! Go "Little Wolf"!!!

Andrew Mason‏Verified account
@MaseDenver

Following
More
Domata Peko says the D-linemen are calling Adam Gotsis "Little Wolfe."

Another wolfe, added a demarcus walker.... OUR DL is going to be crazy dominant. Our defense might be better than the SB defense or close.

Cugel
05-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Frankly, Gotsis is already labelled by the organization as a bust. Not my opinion, theirs.

They used a 2nd round pick on Gotsis. 2nd Round picks are supposed to start in year 1 and be a solid starter in years 2-6 or so. Instead, they used another 2nd round pick to get a guy to play his same position opposite Wolfe.

Walker has more pass-rush ability too. Then there's Pecko whom they are paying a lot more money as a FA. In short, Kollar wanted this guy for some reason. He was a bust last year for a lot of reasons.

They drafted a guy with a high draft pick to replace him. And Kollar told him to get in the weight room and get stronger "or else."

If your second round pick from a year ago is already being replaced that's not a great pick. He seems to be better this year, but where's he going to play? They have Winn and Pecko and Jared Crick already and just drafted Walker.

Everybody but Kollar insists that D. Pecko is a NT pure and simple and that seems to make sense, and he's listed that way on the depth chart. But, according to Cecil Lammey, who was just reporting out at Dove Valley, Kollar is intent on sliding him out to play some DE too, so he's also in competition with Gotsis (who is NOT a NT).

So, where does Gotsis fit in? In rotation behind Walker and Jared Crick (who is listed on the depth chart as the present starter) (http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DEN)?

Maybe he starts ahead of Crick and Walker for now, but obviously Walker was a steal in the 2nd round and projects as an elite pass-rushing DE. They want Walker to be the long term starter (else why draft him in the 2nd round) and he has much more athletic ability than Gotsis has displayed at any point in his college or pro career.

Gotsis (if he's really improved) should be useful in rotation, but it doesn't look like his future is as a starter for the Denver Broncos. In short, a busted pick for a 2nd rounder.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Ideally we need 6 good linemen who can each get 25+ snaps a game. I don't think he is the odd man out. That's 7 dudes, and maybe one of them doesn't dress for games. I think we need all 7

Will Crick still be a major player? Our run D was awful last year.

Cugel
05-18-2017, 01:45 PM
Oh, I'd be amazed if Gotsis was cut. After all he was a 2nd round pick and he's pretty cheap. He will have a chance to start, but it's obvious that the Broncos didn't draft Walker to sit. He's an elite talent and the sooner he starts the better. He's the closest thing to a replacement for Malik Jackson.

Then Gotsis will be a rotational player behind Walker until his contract expires. He could upset this by playing at an amazing level that he's never reached before, either in college or the pros, but who seriously believes that will happen at this point? Or he could continue to suck.

Cecil Lammey who observed him at Dove Valley insists that Gotsis' main problem is no longer his strength or health, but that he gets involved with hand-fighting OL. He gets so absorbed in his one-on-one battle that he fails to shed his blocker and get to the ball. That would indicate a lack of instinct more than anything. Some players have all the physical tools - and this includes Gotsis, but lack elite football instincts. I don't know if that applies to Gotsis but it appears so.

As for Jared Crick, he'll only start if he does, as long as Walker isn't ready. When he is, the Broncos have a DL pass rusher who can command double teams.

Dzone
05-18-2017, 01:56 PM
Maybe Gotsis is going the way of Monte Ball, Latimer , Ozzy, and the other 2nd round Elway busts. Hope not. He's a good bloke

Simple Jaded
05-18-2017, 09:45 PM
Lynch came from a shitshow of an offense and Gotsis was coming off a December ACL, if the Broncos EXPECTED they were getting jackshit from either in their rookie season then this franchise is in deep shit.

Fans can think what they want, which is always amusing, but I sincerely hope the FO is smarter than that.

Btw, Cugel, stop taking anything Lammey says too seriously...he's a fraud.

Hawgdriver
05-18-2017, 09:57 PM

Lammey is the rat dog humping Paxton the Pirate and Swag Kelly's legs.

Simple Jaded
05-18-2017, 10:05 PM
Lammey is the rat dog humping Paxton the Pirate and Swag Kelly's legs.

Amd he wears Jorts and sunglasses at all times.

Poet
05-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Amd he wears Jorts and sunglasses at all times.

I assume he's rich and therefore doesn't have to give a ****?

Simple Jaded
05-18-2017, 10:09 PM
I assume he's rich and therefore doesn't have to give a ****?

I don't know. Personally, I assume he wears speedos with no manscaping.

Poet
05-18-2017, 10:10 PM
I don't know. Personally, I assume he wears speedos with no manscaping.

Man...that brings back memories.

Simple Jaded
05-18-2017, 10:12 PM
That's why I stopped wearing speedos...ain't nobody got time for that.

Cugel
05-18-2017, 10:27 PM
Lynch came from a shitshow of an offense and Gotsis was coming off a December ACL, if the Broncos EXPECTED they were getting jackshit from either in their rookie season then this franchise is in deep shit.

Fans can think what they want, which is always amusing, but I sincerely hope the FO is smarter than that.

He's not a fraud. He's simply another sportscaster. They're all pretty much alike, including all the former pro-athletes who act like they know everything, but are not always better informed than the other beat writers and such. To single out one over another is ridiculous.

They talk alike they sound alike they think alike, they talk to each other and there's pretty much "group think." So, these views are not terribly surprising or out there.

Fans keep making distinctions between the sportswriters they "accept" (those that spout opinions the fan agrees with) and the "stupid ones" who say things the fan doesn't like. But, I don't see much difference between any of them, former jocks or professional writers or sportscasters.

Those that follow the team on a daily basis, beat writers in short, know a shit-ton about the Broncos, and those that don't hang around the team all the time don't.

Lammey isn't any better or any worse than the others. He knows a lot about the Broncos and about the NFL draft because he spends most of his time doing that.

Simple Jaded
05-19-2017, 01:35 AM
Lammey is a draftnik/FF talk show host who passes himself off as a scout without ever calling himself a scout, he's wrong all the ******* time and he flip flops more often than John Kerry. He literally thinks he "discovered" Julius Thomas. Dude is more flaky than a leper colony.

BroncoJoe
05-19-2017, 09:45 AM
Lammey is a draftnik/FF talk show host who passes himself off as a scout without ever calling himself a scout, he's wrong all the ******* time and he flip flops more often than John Kerry. He literally thinks he "discovered" Julius Thomas. Dude is more flaky than a leper colony.

Gold star post.

Cugel
05-20-2017, 08:07 PM

This is a perfect example of the kind of nonsense I'm talking about. "Lammey sucks!" "Some other dude I like is totally awesome!" :rolleyes:

Simple Jaded
05-20-2017, 08:59 PM
This is a perfect example of the kind of nonsense I'm talking about. "Lammey sucks!" "Some other dude I like is totally awesome!" :rolleyes:

I didn't say he sucks, I said stop taking him so seriously.

I have no idea what nonsense you were talking about and, frankly, I don't give a shit.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-25-2017, 10:51 AM
Original article 2-22, updated 5-25, so it contains some current stuff

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/22/bill-kollar-served-adam-gotsis-offseason-challenge-broncos/

dogfish
05-25-2017, 12:22 PM
He has made a noticeable leap from 287 pounds to 306 pounds this offseason in an effort to better hold up against NFL offensive linemen. He trained with Georgia Tech strength-and-conditioning coach John Sisk in Atlanta with a simple plan: Lift every day and eat.

if that's 19 pounds of good muscle, he might have a chance this year. . . hopefully he or walker can put crick's sorry ass on the bench where he belongs. . .

NightTerror218
05-25-2017, 01:35 PM
if that's 19 pounds of good muscle, he might have a chance this year. . . hopefully he or walker can put crick's sorry ass on the bench where he belongs. . .

It sounds like. They have said he is much stronger and looking good.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-25-2017, 06:59 PM

He could make a huge difference against the run if his technique is developed too.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-25-2017, 06:59 PM
It sounds like. They have said he is much stronger and looking good.

Now both he and Wolfe are in the 305-310 range, which is promising

Cugel
05-26-2017, 08:18 PM
Gotsis' problems weren't simply lack of core strength, but technique as well. He can work on gaining strength and he apparently has, but he simply didn't show up at all last year. He didn't make plays. His jersey was the cleanest on the entire defense. The trainers didn't even need to wash Gotsis' jersey after games because he never worked up a sweat.

THat has got to stop and gaining strength is just the first requirement. Then he has to play with more aggressiveness, and better technique too. Finally, he has to show good football instincts of read & react. He has yet to do any of that, so we'll see how he does in year two.

WARHORSE
05-28-2017, 09:25 PM
Gotsis' problems weren't simply lack of core strength, but technique as well. He can work on gaining strength and he apparently has, but he simply didn't show up at all last year. He didn't make plays. His jersey was the cleanest on the entire defense. The trainers didn't even need to wash Gotsis' jersey after games because he never worked up a sweat.

THat has got to stop and gaining strength is just the first requirement. Then he has to play with more aggressiveness, and better technique too. Finally, he has to show good football instincts of read & react. He has yet to do any of that, so we'll see how he does in year two.

Don't forget, he has to play football.

Simple Jaded
05-29-2017, 12:51 AM
Now both he and Wolfe are in the 305-310 range, which is promising

Probably got sick of being bent in half by Oakland's OL.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-29-2017, 01:02 AM
Probably got sick of being bent in half by Oakland's OL.
Indeed