BeefStew25
04-28-2017, 07:53 AM
He is so meathead. And I love it.

Ziggy
04-28-2017, 07:58 AM
watch?v=FoL6ijofwpE

Ziggy
04-28-2017, 08:38 AM
Fun fact of the day- Russell Okung is making more this season than Garett Bolles will over the next 4 seasons.

slim
04-28-2017, 08:39 AM
Beat some ass, Garrett.

BeefStew25
04-28-2017, 08:40 AM
Fun fact of the day- Russell Okung is making more this season than Garett Bolles will over the next 5 seasons.

And Bolles will be better, salary adjusted.

slim
04-28-2017, 08:44 AM
He is so meathead. And I love it.

Total meathead. Reminds of Gronk.

Dzone
04-28-2017, 08:51 AM
Baddest mutha ****a available. No doubt about it. Great pick up! This guys gonna be a legend

BeefStew25
04-28-2017, 08:55 AM
9 on the wonderlic. hey you. don't let that guy touch that other guy.

Nomad
04-28-2017, 08:55 AM
Total meathead. Reminds of Gronk.

We're not asking him to be a NASA engineer, just to beat some ass (as long as no penalties). :D

Also, being he's a Mormon, we know he won't go out and get drunk. ;)

BeefStew25
04-28-2017, 09:01 AM
We're not asking him to be a NASA engineer, just to beat some ass (as long as no penalties). :D

Hardest drinkers I've ever seen are Mormons.

slim
04-28-2017, 09:09 AM

If you need someone to beat some ass, a meathead is the way to go.

Plus, he has a cute kid. I liked that moment last night. It was cool.

Hawgdriver
04-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the Broncos, Meatfasa.

weazel
04-28-2017, 09:41 AM

his kid is the best thing that's ever happened to him in the last 4 months.

This has fail all over it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-28-2017, 09:45 AM
9 on the wonderlic. hey you. don't let that guy touch that other guy.

I have heard he has a learning disability, but can't find anything documented .

Buff
04-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Seems like the offensive version of Derek Wolfe - which is fantastic. Aside from the obvious racial comparison - they are similar size, similar chip on their shoulders, similar tough up-bringings... Probably not totally mentally stable when it comes right down to it. I love the pick. Brings that nasty edge we've been missing at the position.

chazoe60
04-28-2017, 09:46 AM
What's the over/under on number of practices before he and Wolf get in a fight?

Nomad
04-28-2017, 09:48 AM

I had to google and find what the hype is about his kid, I like the spiked up mohawk. It was a cool moment. I admire a good family man.

I'm anxious to see Bolles and Wolfe go at it.

Nomad
04-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Seems like the offensive version of Derek Wolfe - which is fantastic. Aside from the obvious racial comparison - they are similar size, similar chip on their shoulders, similar tough up-bringings... Probably not totally mentally stable when it comes right down to it. I love the pick. Brings that nasty edge we've been missing at the position.

LoL. My thoughts as well.

Ziggy
04-28-2017, 10:06 AM

One

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-28-2017, 10:07 AM

Elway said there were some giggles in the war room at the idea of the two of them squaring off in practice.

slim
04-28-2017, 10:09 AM
his kid is the best thing that's ever happened to him in the last 4 months.

This has fail all over it.

This diet coke is the best thing that's ever happened to me in the last hour.

Poet
04-28-2017, 10:13 AM

Same thing for mine. Slim, I love you.

Regardless of that moment...I think this pick is good. That is all.

Nomad
04-28-2017, 10:14 AM

Diet drinks are bad for you, slim.

CoachChaz
04-28-2017, 10:14 AM
Cancer in a can

slim
04-28-2017, 10:15 AM
Diet drinks are bad for you, slim.

I believe that is a true statement.

Buff
04-28-2017, 10:18 AM

Oh man I didn't take you for a soda in the morning type.

ShaneFalco
04-28-2017, 10:23 AM
http://pictures.boxxspring.net/pictures/2483081

So after my depression faded from Carolina taking Mccaffrey.

This guy really started to grow on me, the more i read up on him.

Did alot of mission work in CO springs, and wanted to go to Denver more then any other team.

The guy is mean. And kind of crazy. Which is great, because you kind of need to be a little crazy to go against Khalil Mack.

I am pumped for this guy now. He has the streets and crazy in him. Only major issue was penalties.

But we got a local kid who played for close school, Utah. I am excited today about the pick.

Go broncos!

CoachChaz
04-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Technique and hand usage were the main cause for the penalties. I have faith that Davidson will fix that.

BeefStew25
04-28-2017, 10:44 AM
He has that look. Huge body etc.

G_Money
04-28-2017, 10:45 AM
Technique and hand usage were the main cause for the penalties. I have faith that Davidson will fix that.

He pulls like Beadles (which is the only time referring to Beadles is a compliment). Unlike Zane, he goes forward instead of backward when run-blocking, so that'll be nice. Like you said, his tech can be improved but the raw parts are there. I'm reasonably optimistic on Bolles. I hated Sambrailo when we drafted him, and unfortunately that's played out. Of course, I liked McGovern and nothing has happened with that guy. Maybe he can flourish under the new regime/blocking direction too.

That'd be nice. Getting ANYTHING extra out of our young linemen would be great.

CoachChaz
04-28-2017, 11:00 AM
He pulls like Beadles (which is the only time referring to Beadles is a compliment). Unlike Zane, he goes forward instead of backward when run-blocking, so that'll be nice. Like you said, his tech can be improved but the raw parts are there. I'm reasonably optimistic on Bolles. I hated Sambrailo when we drafted him, and unfortunately that's played out. Of course, I liked McGovern and nothing has happened with that guy. Maybe he can flourish under the new regime/blocking direction too.

That'd be nice. Getting ANYTHING extra out of our young linemen would be great.

McGovern...proof (so far) that being extremely strong doesnt mean shit.

slim
04-28-2017, 11:06 AM

How long are his arms?

CoachChaz
04-28-2017, 11:09 AM
How long are his arms?

33" Still longer than Forrest Lamp

NightTerror218
04-28-2017, 11:11 AM
I think OL coaching was crap the last few years. With all our 2nd and 3rs rounders being busts and FA flaming out. I am hoping nrw coaching can help all them. I like McGovern and hope he can be a OG for us.

Mike
04-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Bolles quote from the combine: "When I’m on the field, I want to put people in the dirt. And that’s what I’m here for. As an offensive lineman, you want to be the nasty ***** that you can be. And whoever’s in front of me, I want to drive them and put them in the dirt. So I’m just going to try to be that every single day. And when I’m off the field, I love my family."

Love the attitude

ShaneFalco
04-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Bolles quote from the combine: "When I’m on the field, I want to put people in the dirt. And that’s what I’m here for. As an offensive lineman, you want to be the nasty ***** that you can be. And whoever’s in front of me, I want to drive them and put them in the dirt. So I’m just going to try to be that every single day. And when I’m off the field, I love my family."

Love the attitude

Mufasa.

G_Money
04-28-2017, 11:19 AM

Oh I dunno, I mean Man-Ram was really strong and he... oh, right. Yeah there are other factors that have to work out for sure.

Freyaka
04-28-2017, 11:36 AM

The penalties are the part I worry about...He led all o-line collegiate players last year in them...

Poet
04-28-2017, 11:38 AM
The penalties are the part I worry about...He led all o-line collegiate players last year in them...

Sometimes you gotta whip someone's ass!

BroncoJoe
04-28-2017, 11:42 AM

You've posted this like 5,000 times more than the number of penalties he had.

Love the kid. Oh, and the bitching about him being 25 instead of 22 or 23 is just stupid.

Freyaka
04-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Sometimes you gotta whip someone's ass!

Sometimes you do, but you also have to have enough discipline to not hurt your team. Okung hurt the team a lot last year with stupid costly penalties...Bolles needs to get that crap under control yesterday and make sure that he doesn't cost this team games with stupid freaking penalties on the line.

Freyaka
04-28-2017, 11:43 AM
You've posted this like 5,000 times more than the number of penalties he had.

Love the kid. Oh, and the bitching about him being 25 instead of 22 or 23 is just stupid.

Oh look, it's joe...:throwrock:

BroncoJoe
04-28-2017, 11:45 AM
Oh look, it's joe...:throwrock:

Is that a welcome back?

Been busy, and I don't watch college football at all, so I don't have any input (nor do I care) about analyzing the draft. I'm only interested in who the Broncos take.

G_Money
04-28-2017, 11:45 AM

Yeah, but you'd rather have to teach a guy a little patience and technique than watch him wilt like a daisy when the big boys on the other side of the line come at him. You can tune down aggression - hard to tune it up.

NightTerror218
04-28-2017, 11:47 AM
Sometimes you do, but you also have to have enough discipline to not hurt your team. Okung hurt the team a lot last year with stupid costly penalties...Bolles needs to get that crap under control yesterday and make sure that he doesn't cost this team games with stupid freaking penalties on the line.

Most of his penalties were the start of the year....hus first year in division I college football. He settled down as the year went on.

Poet
04-28-2017, 11:47 AM

Imagine a LT who gets penalties for whipping someone's ass and who can block. Then imagine Okung...existing.

Mike
04-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Malik Jackson took stupid penalties. He also set the tone and the defense was noticeably less nasty without him last year. I wouldn't mind that kind of nasty and attitude on the oline....as long as it is controlled. Our offense has had no identity for years.

NightTerror218
04-28-2017, 11:56 AM
I saw in bolles what i wanted from a top OT prospect. Pancaking lesser players. Blowing up defenders. I did not see this from other tackles. Reason this guy was a fast riser for only 1 year in D1 ball.

Poet
04-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Let's trade up in the second and take Cam Robinson, too.

NightTerror218
04-28-2017, 12:01 PM

Much rather have lamp

VonDoom
04-28-2017, 12:13 PM
I love his attitude. Seems like a guy who's been through a lot and turned his life around. I don't know if he's going to be great, but I think he'll be at least good, which is more than I can say for most of our o-line. The nastiness will help bring some swagger to everyone around him.

honz
04-28-2017, 12:40 PM

That and a few late hit penalties because he is a badass mother******...

NightTerror218
04-28-2017, 12:48 PM
I coyld nit find it but did he ever get a penality for unnecessary roughness or anything like that? Or keep temperment in check?

G_Money
04-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Interestingly, Jeff Legwold says that as of about a week ago Ramczyk was the highest-rated tackle on their board. "They wanted to take someone they knew for sure would be ready for training camp." Bolles is healthier and more athletic, and Elway says Bolles also has the higher ceiling (which is probably true). I wouldn't want all my OL to have injury issues, and late in the draft process those injury concerns come to bear.

I'm good with it. Let Bolles try to be an under-control athletic monster and then refine him as we go.

G_Money
04-28-2017, 12:52 PM
I coyld nit find it but did he ever get a penality for unnecessary roughness or anything like that? Or keep temperment in check?

Most of his early penalties were offsides. He got some "block in the back" stuff, and he will lay a dude out with a crackback block if he can get away with it, but having watched Denver's "dirty" OL that won titles, I'm not unhappy with a guy who purposefully wants to go right up to the line.

DT88TheGreat
04-28-2017, 01:32 PM

That would be awesome having two bookends at the tackle spots, however I'm looking for a tight end or RB in round 2.

Poet
04-28-2017, 01:34 PM
That would be awesome having two bookends at the tackle spots, however I'm looking for a tight end or RB in round 2.

**** it - let's be a younger and less expensive version of the Cowboys.

Freyaka
04-28-2017, 01:35 PM

We haven't had luck with RB's in the second anyway (or really anyone in the second...) I'd rather we grab someone like lamp and continue bolstering our line. Screw it, like Kinger said...Let's be come the dollar store version of the Cowboys o-line and start some domination up in here!

Poet
04-28-2017, 01:36 PM
We haven't had luck with RB's in the second anyway (or really anyone in the second...) I'd rather we grab someone like lamp and continue bolstering our line. Screw it, like Kinger said...Let's be come the dollar store version of the Cowboys o-line and start some domination up in here!

I think we're only allowed to agree four times a year....this is getting dangerous!

NightTerror218
04-28-2017, 01:41 PM
Another 1st round pick high praise for bolles
http://www.milehighreport.com/2017/4/28/15474974/atlanta-falcons-first-round-pick-takkarist-mckinley-calls-garett

Freyaka
04-28-2017, 01:42 PM
I think we're only allowed to agree four times a year....this is getting dangerous!

It's ok, I think contractually, if we agree more than that, we just have to have a big feud mid-season to balance the scales. Unless you suddenly take a liking to Ts, I think we'll be ok on that front :D

weazel
04-28-2017, 01:42 PM

This... so much of this.

Poet
04-28-2017, 01:43 PM
It's ok, I think contractually, if we agree more than that, we just have to have a big feud mid-season to balance the scales. Unless you suddenly take a liking to Ts, I think we'll be ok on that front :D

Confession time - sometimes I play up how bad I think TS is just so I can have something to talk about. And because I think sometimes there are deficits in the conversation that need to not exist.

Buff
04-28-2017, 01:45 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2017/4/28/15474974/atlanta-falcons-first-round-pick-takkarist-mckinley-calls-garett

Now I really love this guy.

McKinley calls Bolles "Strong, athletic, and physical" and called him a "*****". He goes on to say that's what offensive lineman are supposed to do and that Bolles gets under your skin some and that's exactly what you want those guys to do the defensive players.

weazel
Much rather have lamp

https://camo.githubusercontent.com/6a66e38fa0084d6c641aec15d5a2edb8bfa2fd5f/68747470733a2f2f7261772e6769746875622e636f6d2f726f 626d637665792f692d6c6f76652d6c616d702f6d6173746572 2f6c616d702e706e67

Freyaka
And besides Kinger, bolstering the line just makes sense no matter which horse you are picking in the QB race. It's not rocket science to see that our o-line had a massive impact on our entire offensive production last year (QB included) a strong line is beneficial to either QB and helps ensure no matter which one of them gets the nod, they will be successful.

It's not so much that I hated that we took o-line at 20, it's just that I'm not a fan of that o-line being Bolles.

Freyaka
04-28-2017, 01:47 PM
Confession time - sometimes I play up how bad I think TS is just so I can have something to talk about. And because I think sometimes there are deficits in the conversation that need to not exist.

Sometimes I bash Lynch just go get a rise out of people, you and I are a lot more alike than either care to admit, we just pick on opposite ends of the spectrum :D

It gets so boring around this place without things to talk about. If I go over the top and say "Lynch is basically Tebow 2.0" I get a lot more discussion in than if I say "I'm not impressed with Lynch yet, but it's very possible I could be later"

Poet
04-28-2017, 01:55 PM
Sometimes I bash Lynch just go get a rise out of people, you and I are a lot more alike than either care to admit, we just pick on opposite ends of the spectrum :D

It gets so boring around this place without things to talk about. If I go over the top and say "Lynch is basically Tebow 2.0" I get a lot more discussion in than if I say "I'm not impressed with Lynch yet, but it's very possible I could be later"

Yeah, man. I feel you. Welcome to the style brothers. You made it to the top, baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Timmy!
04-28-2017, 03:30 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTcRFGslzFH/

WARHORSE
04-28-2017, 03:36 PM
OK....saw Bolles interview on the Broncos website and I love the dude. Mentally, hes EXACTLY what you want....capable of CRAZY at any given moment on the field.

Love the dude and if he doesnt pan out it would be a shame. But if he does we will become one of our favorites for sure......I will buy his jersey TODAY.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2017, 03:54 PM
BTV Live: Garett Bolles press conference
Watch BTV Live: Garett Bolles is introduced to the media after being selected by the Broncos in the first round, pick 20.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/BTV-Live-Garett-Bolles-press-conference/f8394a8f-da59-42a5-bfc2-206a5b8e6aa1

Has not started yet

Looks like it's ready to start

DT88TheGreat
04-28-2017, 04:02 PM
https://youtu.be/CZeNVkmyjLQ

Bolles gave McKinney from ucla the work's during this game. He couldn't do anything vs bolles. Very impressive that the top two tackles both shut down two of the best pass rushers..... It's got to mean something.

I am looking forward to seeing Bolles play day 1 and quickly earn his respect as one of the best LT in the league.

Dzone
04-28-2017, 04:09 PM
This is one of the best draft picks in Broncos history. This is the missing link. A 9 on the wonderlick just proves what a stupid test it is

FanInAZ
04-28-2017, 04:11 PM
So which of you is going to show the guy the town?

G_Money
04-28-2017, 04:31 PM
I don't see how you could watch him talk about the pure joy he has in being drafted and about how serious he is about his team and his family... and not want great things for him.

He wants to be great, so I certainly hope he is. Welcome to Denver (again). :salute:

NightTerror218
04-28-2017, 04:36 PM
Just listened to this guy and i like him more.

BeefStew25
04-28-2017, 04:49 PM
I get the sense he has some frayed wires. Goddam he is nimble too.

slim
04-28-2017, 05:10 PM
So which of you is going to show the guy the town?

Me, Sinnamon and Saphire will.

FanInAZ
04-28-2017, 05:15 PM
Me, Sinnamon and Saphire will.

Great, your going to get him busted by Vice before he shows up to rookie camp :tsk:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-29-2017, 10:22 AM

Man, I forgot how good Joe Williams is. Why hasn't that guy been drafted yet?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-29-2017, 10:23 AM
I get the sense he has some frayed wires. Goddam he is nimble too.

He's got some sweet feet.

BeefStew25
04-29-2017, 10:27 AM
I'm going to start being an ******* to my son. Give him an edge like Bolles.

Jsteve01
04-29-2017, 10:38 AM
I'm going to start being an ******* to my son. Give him an edge like Bolles. hey could be a cross between Derek Wolfe and Garett Bolles. You could also make millions on the movie rights. This is parenting at its finest beef I like the way you think.

Freyaka
04-29-2017, 12:33 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTcRFGslzFH/

If the nickname Mufasa sticks, I might even end up liking this guy :D

NightTerror218
04-29-2017, 06:47 PM
Dude has a solid head on shoulders and keavea the nastiness on field. Sounds like he will be a hard worker.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2017, 10:00 AM
In August 2011, Greg Freeman was in his company truck in Lehi, Utah, about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City.

The owner of a garage door installation and service company who dabbled as a high school lacrosse coach, Freeman spotted a teenager he had known for years, first coaching him in lacrosse as far back as seventh grade; and then as his own children and wife, Emily, helped tutor the kid through high school.

Garett Bolles, who had just turned 19 and had graduated from Westlake High School two months earlier, was at the side of the road near his family home, carrying garbage sacks and duffel bags full of his belongings.

Garett’s father, Grove, fed up with his son’s propensity to get into trouble at the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong people, and with the wrong things, had kicked him out, saying that for the good of all, Garett needed to find somewhere else to live.

Freeman pulled over. He spoke with Garret and got the story. He called Emily. He explained the situation and asked his wife: “What do you want me to do?”

rest - long article - but good
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/28/garett-bolles-family-that-gave-him-a-second-chance/

Simple Jaded
04-30-2017, 11:17 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000740790/article/coach-would-rather-face-deshaun-watson-than-lamar-jackson

The blurb at the bottom was the first I remember reading/hearing about Bolles, I hate Utah offense though so I didn't make much of it.

Then you get to reading more about him and I liked what I was hearing and reading. But comments like these; "His body control and ability to sustain are 1st round caliber" are what stick out to me because the biggest problem OL have coming out of the spread is being able to block more than a second or two. They're just not used to it because of all the chickeshit screens and 5 yard passes.

College offenses do nothing to prepare players for the NFL, especially offensive lineman.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-30-2017, 10:14 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000740790/article/coach-would-rather-face-deshaun-watson-than-lamar-jackson

The blurb at the bottom was the first I remember reading/hearing about Bolles, I hate Utah offense though so I didn't make much of it.

Then you get to reading more about him and I liked what I was hearing and reading. But comments like these; "His body control and ability to sustain are 1st round caliber" are what stick out to me because the biggest problem OL have coming out of the spread is being able to block more than a second or two. They're just not used to it because of all the chickeshit screens and 5 yard passes.

College offenses do nothing to prepare players for the NFL, especially offensive lineman.

Watching tape of him you will frequently see defenders get frustrated with his propensity for blocking through the play, right up to the whistle.

Hawgdriver
04-30-2017, 10:36 PM
Watching tape of him you will frequently see defenders get frustrated with his propensity for blocking through the play, right up to the whistle.

He's not in it for the friendships made with opponents.

chazoe60
04-30-2017, 10:51 PM
I really hope he's a monster and gets his name in the ROF but I'm not going to lie and say the fact that 19 other teams passed on him with no other OL taken before him doesn't scare me.

I've never seen a draft, and I've been watching them for as long as I can remember them being televised, where no OL was taken before 20. I just hope we didn't take a guy based purely on need and he turns out not to be better than what we already have.

Simple Jaded
05-01-2017, 02:21 AM
They said something like that's the lowest an OL has been drafted since they started the draft, or since the 1930's, whichever came first.

Get used to it, OL are just going to keep getting worse and worse.

Notre Dame will have two next year, McGlinchey and Nelson, this is a team that will continue to churn them out based on their recruiting and OL Coach. Most teams churn out nothing but patty cakers.

Cugel
05-01-2017, 12:05 PM
I really hope he's a monster and gets his name in the ROF but I'm not going to lie and say the fact that 19 other teams passed on him with no other OL taken before him doesn't scare me.

I've never seen a draft, and I've been watching them for as long as I can remember them being televised, where no OL was taken before 20. I just hope we didn't take a guy based purely on need and he turns out not to be better than what we already have.

You don't remember it happening, because it hasn't happened since 1967, apparently.

So, Bolles was NOT regarded as a really good prospect, and none of the Ts in this class were given a top 15 grade. Thus, lots of teams that desperately need a starting LT improvment, passed on all the available picks, because of how bad the class was.

But, that has a good as well as a weak side. If Bolles were really regarded as a top prospect who was plug-and-play ready the Broncos would never have been able to draft him. He would have been drafted in the top 10 and probably top 5 picks, like Ronnie Staley and Jack Conklin and Jeremy Tunsil - all of who were taken in the top 15 picks in 2016 (and Tunsil only fell that far due to the video of him smoking a gas mask bong that surfaced right before the draft).

Bolles does not compare favourably with any of those players. But, he was available at #20. And the Broncos like his personality and think he'll work hard to succeed. Take some raw talent, add a serious determination to succeed and you can get a good starting player. That's what the Broncos are counting on. I'd say they have a good chance of success.

Buff
05-01-2017, 12:17 PM

I think it's reasonable to have concerns about the pick - but your reasoning I find odd... How often would we ever have our choice of any OT in the draft sitting at #20 with a gaping need at the position? If he was the 3rd tackle in a deeper draft would you feel more comfortable?

I don't mind popping the OT cherry this year - as I've said elsewhere, I think I'd rather get the guy who we love than the value pick who we have concerns about but feel like we need to select based on perceived value. I'll take the conviction selection over the value selection.

Cugel
05-01-2017, 12:43 PM
I think it's reasonable to have concerns about the pick - but your reasoning I find odd... How often would we ever have our choice of any OT in the draft sitting at #20 with a gaping need at the position? If he was the 3rd tackle in a deeper draft would you feel more comfortable?

I don't mind popping the OT cherry this year - as I've said elsewhere, I think I'd rather get the guy who we love than the value pick who we have concerns about but feel like we need to select based on perceived value. I'll take the conviction selection over the value selection.

Well, Coach Chaz's concern is warranted. This guy was NOT regarded as a Top LT prospect compared with previous years where the top LT was taken inside the top 5. But, if he had been such a good can't miss prospect the Broncos would never have had a chance to draft him.

You saw what the Bears gave up to move up 1 spot from #3 to #2 - two #1 picks, and a 3rd rounder and a fourth rounder. That was anal raping, but it gives you an idea what that kind of move into the top 5 costs.

So, if Bolles had been a better prospect, the Broncos could not have drafted him. He was just bad enough amid a bad T class that discouraged other teams from taking any of them, to fall to #20, where the Broncos didn't have to trade up to get him.

So, we are stuck noting the short-comings (lack of elite strength and bad pass-protection technique). But, those short-comings can be overcome with time and coaching and effort. Then you're left with a decent player at a position of absolute need. Hopefully.

Simple Jaded
05-01-2017, 01:00 PM

My theory is the weak class may have been a blessing in disguise, had this class had more than 3 Day One starters the Broncos probably would have waited til the 2nd-3rd rounds to get a Sampro or Schopro. This class forced the Broncos to put the position higher on the list of priorities than they have in the past.

G_Money
05-01-2017, 01:11 PM

Yeah, this was definitely NOT a strong OT draft in terms of on-paper evaluations. The one guy who came out of a community college and spent 1 year at a major program is the guy we picked. Ramczyk came out of an OL factory school (Wisconsin) and Cam Robinson played with a ton of talent and the best coaching in college football. If neither of them could beat out the raw toolsy guy then that says enough. It's an upside bet.

In the last couple of drafts I sure don't think Bolles goes any higher - but I'm not sure how much lower he goes either. Maybe he's rated as the 4th-best tackle in those drafts, but are you taking Cedric Ogbuehi or Taylor Decker over him based on what you knew at draft time? Decker had a lot of similar questions about his game. Hell, Erick Flowers went top-10 but that's not looking great, and it's not like we traded up for Bolles and reached in to the top-10 or 15. I guess it depends on whether you think the 20s were still a reach for him, and I don't.

Also: 4 of the 10 teams drafting between picks 10 and 20 already took a top-20 OT in the last 2 drafts. It wasn't on their needs. The Bucs could have used an OL but they took TE OJ Howard when he fell into their laps. It was just a weird draft for OTs and that benefitted the Broncos by giving them their choice at the position. Fingers crossed it was the right one, but it makes sense to me.

Bolles didn't have hype, but he does have obvious athletic gifts and a great mean streak that's necessary for being a great OL. Will that make him better than George Foster? We can only hope, but I don't worry about taking him because he was "only" rated in the 20s as a talent. Several really good players have been, and it's a strong draft - just not at offensive tackle. There's no shame in being downgraded in a deep draft and still being the best at your position. If he was the 4th-best OT, taken at the same spot in a strong OT draft, would you feel better about him? If so, it's a problem in perception.

If he can be Duane Brown I'll be stoked. I sure hope Bolles learns fast though.

Poet
05-01-2017, 01:17 PM
That is the most valid point - even if there were a bunch of talented LT's, we wouldn't have had them. However, we still got an on par talent even if the class was better. That's why I was pulling out my hair when people were talking about how bad the class was/is - who gives a **** it means nothing to us as a team. If Anthony Munoz, Walter Jones, Joe Thomas, Jonathan Ogden, Bolles, Robinson, and Ramcyzk were in one class we would have ended up with....Bolles.

If it was the class from two classes ago, maybe we would have had Tunsil fall to us. Bolles' ability is on par with where he was selected.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Bolles was a top 30 prospect on Jeremiahs big board. He wasn't overdrafted

DT88TheGreat
05-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Like king said if there were 2 other elite LTs making bolles the 3rd ranked LT with a first round grade then the.Broncos wouldn't have had a chance at those top 10 LTs and bolles would have been there for us at 20 so I don't get why a guy who has a.first round grade should be receiving flack.A 1st round grade is a 1st round grade and means he has all pro ability and that is just what we are looking for...... An all pro LT, we got one now and im happy about it, I haven't been this optimistic about our OL in year's.

Cugel
05-01-2017, 11:31 PM
That is the most valid point - even if there were a bunch of talented LT's, we wouldn't have had them. However, we still got an on par talent even if the class was better. That's why I was pulling out my hair when people were talking about how bad the class was/is - who gives a **** it means nothing to us as a team. If Anthony Munoz, Walter Jones, Joe Thomas, Jonathan Ogden, Bolles, Robinson, and Ramcyzk were in one class we would have ended up with....Bolles.

If it was the class from two classes ago, maybe we would have had Tunsil fall to us. Bolles' ability is on par with where he was selected.

If Tunsil hadn't had the bong gas mask video surface right before the draft, he would have been a top 10 and probably top 5 pick. No chance he would fall to #20. Really, teams questioned his intelligence allowing himself to be filmed doing a bong rip.

But, your point is accurate. If 4 really elite T's were in the draft, Denver would have had to give up at least 2 #1 picks and other picks just to move up high enough to get one of them. Joe Thomas for instance went at #3 and would again be a top 3 pick in this draft. Probably #2 overall because Cleveland already has Joe Thomas! :laugh:

Without giving up just an enormous amount of draft capital you're just not getting an elite T prospect. It was a fluke that Ryan Clady was there at #12 to be drafted by the Broncos. If he were in the 2017 draft he'd be a top 3 pick as well.

So, realistically, Bolles is about as good a T prospect as Denver is ever going to be able to draft - unless the Broncos start losing a lot more games and get a top 10 pick. But, Elway's teams are too talented to go 6-10 or something. I'd be shocked if Denver had a top 10 pick next year. That would indicate a total disaster, with multiple injuries to key players - something like 1999.

JPPT1974
05-01-2017, 11:35 PM
Welcome indeed to the Broncos Garrett!

Poet
05-01-2017, 11:37 PM
If Tunsil hadn't had the bong gas mask video surface right before the draft, he would have been a top 10 and probably top 5 pick. No chance he would fall to #20. Really, teams questioned his intelligence allowing himself to be filmed doing a bong rip.

But, your point is accurate. If 4 really elite T's were in the draft, Denver would have had to give up at least 2 #1 picks and other picks just to move up high enough to get one of them. Joe Thomas for instance went at #3 and would again be a top 3 pick in this draft. Probably #2 overall because Cleveland already has Joe Thomas! :laugh:

Without giving up just an enormous amount of draft capital you're just not getting an elite T prospect. It was a fluke that Ryan Clady was there at #12 to be drafted by the Broncos. If he were in the 2017 draft he'd be a top 3 pick as well.

So, realistically, Bolles is about as good a T prospect as Denver is ever going to be able to draft - unless the Broncos start losing a lot more games and get a top 10 pick. But, Elway's teams are too talented to go 6-10 or something. I'd be shocked if Denver had a top 10 pick next year. That would indicate a total disaster, with multiple injuries to key players - something like 1999.

I just listed arguably the top five greatest LT's ever....and you don't think Tunsil would fall in that scenario? Da faq.

A lot of teams hated Clady and thought he was an undersized idiot. It wasn't a fluke that he fell - in a league where QB's, CB's, DE/OLB pass rushers and LT's are all premium positions (arguably WR's are now, too) people will fall. FFS, Hooker was thought to be a top seven prospect and he fell to the Colts. Realistically speaking, Denver got Bolles where a guy like him would typically be - Bolles is a first round talent.

As soon as you come to grips with that and stop judging his abilities based on the rest of the LT class the better.

Cugel
05-01-2017, 11:40 PM
Like king said if there were 2 other elite LTs making bolles the 3rd ranked LT with a first round grade then the.Broncos wouldn't have had a chance at those top 10 LTs and bolles would have been there for us at 20 so I don't get why a guy who has a.first round grade should be receiving flack.A 1st round grade is a 1st round grade and means he has all pro ability and that is just what we are looking for...... An all pro LT, we got one now and im happy about it, I haven't been this optimistic about our OL in year's.

He received flack because he was taken with the #20 pick and there were other better regarded players on the board around that pick: OJ Howard who went at #19 and Reuben Foster, the Alabama impact LB. There were also some mocks that had Ryan Ramczyk or Lamp as better OL and they think the Broncos should have drafted one of them. Alfred Williams for instance was big on Ramczyk rather than Bolles.

If you concede that the Broncos flunked previous OL draft attempts, failed to land a LT in FA and failed to get a trade for one, and therefore had NO CHOICE but to draft a T at #20 then it's a good pick. All those who preferred other OL must concede they just have OPINIONS and the Broncos aren't wrong because they preferred different players.

If we go solely by the draft grade, Bolles, Ramcyzk, and Lamp are likely to all be successful players, and none of them is likely to be a top 10 guy. But, who knows what will happen?

The criticism comes from all the failures that forced their hand, not because Bolles is likely to be a bad pick. The Broncos were in a bad spot because of previous personnel failures. Bad ones. They failed utterly to develop any of the previously drafted OL.

Now you can argue that's because they sucked. But, in that case why were they drafted? That's a failure, or the lack of development is a failure.

The Broncos SHOULD have been in a position to draft the Best Player Available - and not "we HAVE to get a LT because we haven't got one."

But, Bolles deserves NO criticism for Elway's previous failures.

Poet
05-01-2017, 11:46 PM
Elway could have either signed a bad LT to a massive contract, killing FA next year and making the roster weaker than it had to be. Or, he could break from BPA, take a slight dip, have more more in FA next year, make the roster younger, more talented, and pay off the stupid loan he took out (I still don't understand that).

Elway went with the move that made the roster better now and in the future. When it comes down to it, drafting Foster would have been nice, but it probably would have meant less for us overall.

Cugel
05-01-2017, 11:49 PM
I just listed arguably the top five greatest LT's ever....and you don't think Tunsil would fall in that scenario? Da faq.

A lot of teams hated Clady and thought he was an undersized idiot. It wasn't a fluke that he fell - in a league where QB's, CB's, DE/OLB pass rushers and LT's are all premium positions (arguably WR's are now, too) people will fall. FFS, Hooker was thought to be a top seven prospect and he fell to the Colts. Realistically speaking, Denver got Bolles where a guy like him would typically be - Bolles is a first round talent.

As soon as you come to grips with that and stop judging his abilities based on the rest of the LT class the better.

The Chiefs at #13 desperately wanted Clady and drafted a T immediately after at #13. And there were other teams that could have taken Clady in the top 10.

But, I'm granting teams the advantage of hindsight, otherwise it makes no sense, because not everybody believed in any of these players.

I picked Clady, rather than Joe Thomas or other Hall of Fame LTs because Clady was NOT HOF worthy. He's a better example than Joe Thomas of an elite LT, but not an historically great one.

My point is that probably 10 teams in the first round would draft a Ryan Clady if he were available in 2017's draft. And you can see that not a lot of teams wanted Bolles in the first round. Maybe some other team would have taken him in the 20's, but in that case maybe Ramcyzk would fall out.

Cugel
05-01-2017, 11:55 PM
Elway could have either signed a bad LT to a massive contract, killing FA next year and making the roster weaker than it had to be. Or, he could break from BPA, take a slight dip, have more more in FA next year, make the roster younger, more talented, and pay off the stupid loan he took out (I still don't understand that).

Elway went with the move that made the roster better now and in the future. When it comes down to it, drafting Foster would have been nice, but it probably would have meant less for us overall.

$11M isn't a "massive FA Killing contract." That's just B.S. Teams can always afford whatever players they want. And the salary cap is just a smoke screen to protect them from fan criticism when they decide they don't want to do it. Teams can free up room under the cap in so many ways that it's pointless to discuss them. You'll notice the Patriots this off-season decided to get veterans in FA and signed them all to pretty big contracts, but they have plenty of cap room. That is always possible, although it requires contract creativity.

Whether a veteran LT is "worth" it is another discussion. But, they wouldn't have been in a position where they desperately needed to draft a LT in the first round. Perhaps instead they would have moved up 2 spots to grab OJ Howard.

Is that a good move? Well, that rather depends on whether OJ Howard or Reuben Foster winds up being a perennial pro-bowler and on how Bolles develops. It might actually be a bad move.

But, it would be nice if the Broncos were in a position where their hand wasn't forced. Drafting the best player available really is a better draft strategy than "we need a player at this position, and this guy is the best available at this position." That thinking leads to bad reaches in the draft.

I'm not saying Bolles is that reach. We don't know and I don't think so. But, it is possible that 3 years from now Bolles will be a mediocre LT while Foster or Howard is an ALL-Pro and fans are going to be reminding Elway that he screwed the pooch on this one.

Poet
05-02-2017, 12:04 AM
The Chiefs at #13 desperately wanted Clady and drafted a T immediately after at #13. And there were other teams that could have taken Clady in the top 10.

But, I'm granting teams the advantage of hindsight, otherwise it makes no sense, because not everybody believed in any of these players.

I picked Clady, rather than Joe Thomas or other Hall of Fame LTs because Clady was NOT HOF worthy. He's a better example than Joe Thomas of an elite LT, but not an historically great one.

My point is that probably 10 teams in the first round would draft a Ryan Clady if he were available in 2017's draft.

So ten teams take Clady - Bolles still has a first round grade on him. Can you at least acknowledge the fact that Bolles was a legitimate first round pick on ability and talent? Can you meet me in the damn, Cugel? Ground control to major Cugel!

Hawgdriver
05-02-2017, 12:10 AM
So ten teams take Clady - Bolles still has a first round grade on him. Can you at least acknowledge the fact that Bolles was a legitimate first round pick on ability and talent? Can you meet me in the damn, Cugel? Ground control to major Cugel!

iYYRH4apXDo

DT88TheGreat
05-02-2017, 12:27 AM
He received flack because he was taken with the #20 pick and there were other better regarded players on the board around that pick: OJ Howard who went at #19 and Reuben Foster, the Alabama impact LB. There were also some mocks that had Ryan Ramczyk or Lamp as better OL and they think the Broncos should have drafted one of them. Alfred Williams for instance was big on Ramczyk rather than Bolles.

If you concede that the Broncos flunked previous OL draft attempts, failed to land a LT in FA and failed to get a trade for one, and therefore had NO CHOICE but to draft a T at #20 then it's a good pick. All those who preferred other OL must concede they just have OPINIONS and the Broncos aren't wrong because they preferred different players.

If we go solely by the draft grade, Bolles, Ramcyzk, and Lamp are likely to all be successful players, and none of them is likely to be a top 10 guy. But, who knows what will happen?

The criticism comes from all the failures that forced their hand, not because Bolles is likely to be a bad pick. The Broncos were in a bad spot because of previous personnel failures. Bad ones. They failed utterly to develop any of the previously drafted OL.

Now you can argue that's because they sucked. But, in that case why were they drafted? That's a failure, or the lack of development is a failure.

The Broncos SHOULD have been in a position to draft the Best Player Available - and not "we HAVE to get a LT because we haven't got one."

But, Bolles deserves NO criticism for Elway's previous failures.

You do realize bolles will be a pro bowl LT just like Howard and foster likely. Bolles was the BPA at a position that's 3rd in most important behind QB, pass rushers and then its LT. We would be fools to not hVe taken a LT who will soon be all pro.

DT88TheGreat
05-02-2017, 12:30 AM
You dont make a bad financial decision by designing an bum like okung just because you don't want to draft one of.the top LT in the draft..... Bolles will be better as a rookie than okung was as a veteran last year. Book it cugel.

DT88TheGreat
05-02-2017, 12:32 AM
$11M isn't a "massive FA Killing contract." That's just B.S. Teams can always afford whatever players they want. And the salary cap is just a smoke screen to protect them from fan criticism when they decide they don't want to do it. Teams can free up room under the cap in so many ways that it's pointless to discuss them. You'll notice the Patriots this off-season decided to get veterans in FA and signed them all to pretty big contracts, but they have plenty of cap room. That is always possible, although it requires contract creativity.

Whether a veteran LT is "worth" it is another discussion. But, they wouldn't have been in a position where they desperately needed to draft a LT in the first round. Perhaps instead they would have moved up 2 spots to grab OJ Howard.

Is that a good move? Well, that rather depends on whether OJ Howard or Reuben Foster winds up being a perennial pro-bowler and on how Bolles develops. It might actually be a bad move.

But, it would be nice if the Broncos were in a position where their hand wasn't forced. Drafting the best player available really is a better draft strategy than "we need a player at this position, and this guy is the best available at this position." That thinking leads to bad reaches in the draft.

I'm not saying Bolles is that reach. We don't know and I don't think so. But, it is possible that 3 years from now Bolles will be a mediocre LT while Foster or Howard is an ALL-Pro and fans are going to be reminding Elway that he screwed the pooch on this one.

11 million is alot for a bum! We now have a better replacement for about 3 million per year.

Poet
05-02-2017, 01:29 AM
Cugel, Okung got a huge dollar amount. Look at our cap and look what contracts are coming up.

I'll accept your apology.

underrated29
05-02-2017, 11:03 AM
I had a dream last night that I was playing hockey and Bolles was playing too. He took a slapshot off the lower ankle and his bone inside his leg exploded from the impact and left a giant hole in his left leg. I was bummed because he was going to be on IR for 22 years.

I just thought you all wanted to know this.

Valar Morghulis
05-02-2017, 11:04 AM
I had a dream last night that I was playing hockey and Bolles was playing too. He took a slapshot off the lower ankle and his bone inside his leg exploded from the impact and left a giant hole in his left leg. I was bummed because he was going to be on IR for 22 years. I just thought you all wanted to know this.

I wish you could win something for the quality of this post

underrated29
05-02-2017, 11:06 AM
I wish you could win something for the quality of this post

You curled up and naked in a basket on my porch?

Buff
05-02-2017, 11:08 AM
I had a dream last night that I was playing hockey and Bolles was playing too. He took a slapshot off the lower ankle and his bone inside his leg exploded from the impact and left a giant hole in his left leg. I was bummed because he was going to be on IR for 22 years.

I just thought you all wanted to know this.

How did you arrive at the 22 year estimate?

MOtorboat
05-02-2017, 11:21 AM
If he gets hurt I'm blaming UR.

Freyaka
05-02-2017, 11:21 AM

I mean even if he doesn't, still going to blame UR. It's just the prudent thing to do.

Poet
05-02-2017, 11:22 AM
UR is overrated.

LTC Pain
05-02-2017, 11:26 AM
I'm going to buy a Bolles' jersey and change the name to "Put'em in the Dirt"!

Freyaka
05-02-2017, 11:33 AM
UR is overrated.

He's like the Paxton Lynch of posters...

Poet
05-02-2017, 11:35 AM
He's like the Paxton Lynch of posters...

No - he's not talented. FWIW, Lynch was on par with TS.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-02-2017, 11:38 AM
No - he's not talented. FWIW, Lynch was on par with TS.

What does Tom Sizemore have to do with this thread?

Poet
05-02-2017, 11:40 AM
What does Tom Sizemore have to do with this thread?

I was talking about Tom Seaver you buffoon! IMBECILE!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-02-2017, 11:45 AM
I was talking about Tom Seaver you buffoon! IMBECILE!

I confuse those two all the time; my apologies!!

Poet
05-02-2017, 11:46 AM
I confuse those two all the time; my apologies!!

I shouldn't have yelled!

Freyaka
05-02-2017, 11:51 AM
#LOUDNOISES!!!
#whatwerewetalkingaboutagain

underrated29
05-02-2017, 11:58 AM
How did you arrive at the 22 year estimate?

Who knows. Why was he in my dream and playing hockey. Why would his bone explode and put a giant hole in his leg.

UR is overrated.

#Wearenotfriendsanymore

underrated29
05-02-2017, 11:59 AM

I just reversed Mojo'd this biotch. Hes all good now!

slim
05-02-2017, 01:07 PM
iYYRH4apXDo

09T8AUspQN0

Freyaka
05-02-2017, 07:00 PM
09T8AUspQN0

I forgot about that gem!

Chillez
05-02-2017, 07:13 PM
I sure hope it turns out well I have some serious questions passing on Foster and not trading up few spots to draft either Howard or Allen time will tell if it was the correct decision.

Hawgdriver
05-02-2017, 07:14 PM
I sure hope it turns out well I have some serious questions passing on Foster and no trading up few spots to draft either Howard or Allen time will tell if it works out.

Yep.

Simple Jaded
05-02-2017, 08:14 PM
The Broncos apparently tried to trade up and couldn't, several times, so what say y'all that we stop pretending that there's nothing TO IT but to DO IT?

DT88TheGreat
05-02-2017, 08:47 PM
The Broncos apparently tried to trade up and couldn't, several times, so what say y'all that we stop pretending that there's nothing TO IT but to DO IT?

In madden there is no resistance, in the real world you need a trading partner willing to go backwards in the draft. If the other team doesn't want fair value for the pick then there is nothing elway could do other than give up a massive amount of picks that the team just cant refuse which would have been silly.

Yes Howard will be a good one, but is he so good that we ignore the rest of the holes and needs on the team? We literally addressed so many needs and made our offense more explosive than it's ever been. I wouldn't give those 6 players up for just Howard. Grabbing bolles right at 20 wasn't the sexy pick, offensive linemen picks are never sexy but they are very necessary. If we hadn't got bolles our OL would not be completed the way it is now.

I cannot wait to see Leary and bolles opening up massive holes on that left side. It's going to be fun guy's.

Jsteve01
05-03-2017, 01:18 AM

In madden there is no resistance, in the real world you need a trading partner willing to go backwards in the draft. If the other team doesn't want fair value for the pick then there is nothing elway could do other than give up a massive amount of picks that the team just cant refuse which would have been silly.

Yes Howard will be a good one, but is he so good that we ignore the rest of the holes and needs on the team? We literally addressed so many needs and made our offense more explosive than it's ever been. I wouldn't give those 6 players up for just Howard. Grabbing bolles right at 20 wasn't the sexy pick, offensive linemen picks are never sexy but they are very necessary. If we hadn't got bolles our OL would not be completed the way it is now.

I cannot wait to see Leary and bolles opening up massive holes on that left side. It's going to be fun guy's. that I can agree with most of this but saying prior to training camp or any live action that this is the most explosive offense we've ever had?

DT88TheGreat
05-03-2017, 03:07 PM
that I can agree with most of this but saying prior to training camp or any live action that this is the most explosive offense we've ever had?

Well of course you know I mean on paper, and im confident in McCoy ability to do what His guy's do best, speed guys are going to have plays designed to get them the ball in space or over the top. It has to play out on the field of course though. I just think it will.

weazel
05-03-2017, 03:11 PM
Dude has a solid head on shoulders and keavea the nastiness on field. Sounds like he will be a hard worker.

I think he's also a member of MENSA