PDA

View Full Version : John Elway pre-draft presser

VonDoom
04-24-2017, 01:13 PM
Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 26s26 seconds ago

John Elway said the #Broncos draft board is "pretty much" set. Finished last Thursday. Still room for changes though.

Cameron Wolfe‏Verified account @CameronWolfe 3m3 minutes ago

Elway won't say if Joe Mixon, or any particular prospect, is on the #Broncos draft board.

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 2m2 minutes ago

Elway, on Joe Mixon: "We're still evaluating" his off-field issues and how they impact his status. "We had a good meeting with him."

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 3m3 minutes ago

Elway: Both OL & DL "are a little bit weaker" than in past -- good year for CBs, WRs, TEs, he says.

Elway: The state of college football & how it is played has hurt O-linemen coming out for the draft.

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 1m1 minute ago

Elway: "There could possibly be" a Day 1 starter at tackle in the draft.

Elway: "We like Christian [McCaffrey] a lot ... he's a great kid."

Lindsay Jones‏Verified account @bylindsayhjones 1m1 minute ago

Elway said Broncos brought Christian McCaffrey in for a visit because he lives close. "It was free," Elway said.

VonDoom
04-24-2017, 01:14 PM
Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 56s56 seconds ago

Elway: "When we go into the draft, we want to pick the best football players," says you "fix needs" in free agency.

Elway says Ty Sambrailo is an option at LT.

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 36s36 seconds ago

Elway, on LT: "We looked at all the options, the direction we went we felt was the best at that time." Thinks Sambrailo can compete there.

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 41s42 seconds ago

Elway says he felt Sambrailo was going somewhere at LT before he got hurt two years ago.

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 19s19 seconds ago

Elway, on whether this draft is more important coming off 9-7: "No, they're all important.

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 17s18 seconds ago

Elway, on the TEs: "It's a deep 'F' class -- guys that are good route-runners & can move." Not many in-line TEs this year, he said.

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 2m2 minutes ago

Elway on #Broncos biggest need right now "A new GM." @DenverChannel

underrated29
04-24-2017, 01:17 PM
Sounds like he is targeting a LT to me...Keeps dropping how LT is not a need (fixed in FA and reiterating Tysam) but maybe he is not...oooooooooh

Freyaka
04-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 56s56 seconds ago

Elway: "When we go into the draft, we want to pick the best football players," says you "fix needs" in free agency.

And THAT is exactly why I think there is very little chance we take a first round LT right there. That's been Elway's MO since he got here, the fact that people think that's going to magically change this year and we're going to reach to draft a bad LT just because we "need" and LT is totally out of character for Elway.

None of these LT's warrant a first round draft status.

Freyaka
04-24-2017, 01:19 PM
Sounds like he is targeting a LT to me...Keeps dropping how LT is not a need (fixed in FA and reiterating Tysam) but maybe he is not...oooooooooh

I actually think just the opposite, he's basically restating what we all should have picked up on by now John Elway doesn't draft based on need, none of these players are BPA and we're going to draft whoever the best player on our board is, that may or may not be an LT, but considering how low the LT talent pool is, it's not going to be an LT, it will be an offensive or defensive playmaker.

VonDoom
04-24-2017, 01:23 PM
Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 2m2 minutes ago

Asked Elway if there have already been opportunties for Broncos to move up or down from No. 20. Just said everyone is talking at this point.

#Broncos Elway on the success of later-round QBs. "It all comes down to fit." @DenverChannel

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 44s44 seconds ago

Elway on Champ Bailey going into CO Sports HOF: "I'll just say this: It's the first of many for Champ."

#Broncos Elway repeated "We are not going backward on defense." They will look to keep bolstering the team's backbone @DenverChannel

Elway: the departure of Adam Peters led to spreading some of his responsibilities among the staff before this year's draft.

VonDoom
04-24-2017, 01:29 PM
I actually think just the opposite, he's basically restating what we all should have picked up on by now John Elway doesn't draft based on need, none of these players are BPA and we're going to draft whoever the best player on our board is, that may or may not be an LT, but considering how low the LT talent pool is, it's not going to be an LT, it will be an offensive or defensive playmaker.

Was Lynch not a "need" pick last year? Our QB depth at the time was Sanchez and Siemian. Now QB's are different, I get that, and Lynch was always a project, but if we truly went "best player available", there were certainly better players on the board when we picked.

Same for this year. I don't know what we'll end up doing, but any of the top three OT prospects are better than anyone on our roster now, despite Elway trying to pimp Sambrailo. If we pick one, so be it. I'm not going to freak out about it.

Ideally you want to not draft for need, but that's not always how it works out.

Freyaka
04-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Was Lynch not a "need" pick last year? Our QB depth at the time was Sanchez and Siemian. Now QB's are different, I get that, and Lynch was always a project, but if we truly went "best player available", there were certainly better players on the board when we picked.

Same for this year. I don't know what we'll end up doing, but any of the top three OT prospects are better than anyone on our roster now, despite Elway trying to pimp Sambrailo. If we pick one, so be it. I'm not going to freak out about it.

Ideally you want to not draft for need, but that's not always how it works out.

The difference with Lynch is Elway for whatever reason felt he was the best player. He also fit a need which was nice. Who knows if Elway was wrong regarding Lynch, but fact of the matter was we weren't the only one that wanted him (Jerry Jones was pissed) so it wasn't just us who thought he was the best QB available at that point.

Lynch was considered a first round talent. There may be some LT's that could be considered first round talent, but this is not a good draft pool at all. Guys that are going to go in the first would not go until 2nd or 3rd rounds in a typical draft pool. Anyone we grab is going to be a reach...Elway doesn't tend to reach to meet a need, if he grades them at a first round talent and it's a need he grabs them, if he doesn't, he grabs whoever is highest on our board.

Who knows, we'll see. I actually believe TySam will be the starting LT this year, but I've been wrong before. I think better coaching is going to get enough out of him to get the job done. Maybe he does value an LT in this draft as a first rounder, we'll know in a couple of days.

underrated29
04-24-2017, 02:07 PM
I disagree that the LTs in this draft would go in the 2nd/3rd in other years. There may not be as many Good LTs in this draft, but the top ones are pretty solid. They all just have a few question marks like desire to play, only 1 year, being old, surgery, etc...

Cam, bolles, Lamp imo are all players worthy of a rd 1 picks. I do not know enough of Dion Dawkings whom I think we may shoot for.
For the record I want Reuben!

Poet
04-24-2017, 03:12 PM
Ramcyzk is going to be a really good LT.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Elway previews draft, talks LT, TE and McCaffrey
John Elway addresses this year's draft prospects at tackle, tight end and running back on Monday.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Elway-previews-draft-talks-LT-TE-and-McCaffrey/3c1b8aac-36bb-454e-a90a-575f84e66959

underrated29
04-24-2017, 04:46 PM
ok, after having now watched the video, we are not going LT in the first unless we have too and if we do we definitely drop back....We want playmakers.

Our first pick will be either a RB, WR or a badass d guy- like foster..I bet its him. I want him.

slim
04-24-2017, 05:05 PM
ok, after having now watched the video, we are not going LT in the first unless we have too and if we do we definitely drop back....We want playmakers.

Our first pick will be either a RB, WR or a badass d guy- like foster..I bet its him. I want him.

Roofie?

GEM
04-24-2017, 05:10 PM
I didn't watch or listen, what did he mean by needing a new gm?

chazoe60
04-24-2017, 05:11 PM
I didn't watch or listen, what did he mean by needing a new gm?

He was just making a self effacing joke. It was quite humorous

NightTerror218
04-24-2017, 05:19 PM
I have said this before none of the top LT are shoe in LT. All have questions, franchise potential LT go in top 10. These guys imo are all solid RTs.

I think other OL needy teams will draft them ahead of us. Raven bengals and colts can easily reach. Miami could us a RT and may as well. Elway has been one of the better GM for not reaching in round one. Lynch is different because the QB position is rated more heavy and he was the #3 rated QB who elway traded up for.

slim
04-24-2017, 05:24 PM
Meh, everyone thought Travis Fredrick was a 3-4 round pick. It's an inexact science, like actuarial science.

VonDoom
04-24-2017, 05:28 PM

I still think Bolles is our guy at 20. But man, if Foster was to drop, I'd be so excited. Unless we passed on him ...

Hawgdriver
04-24-2017, 06:39 PM
Ramcyzk is going to be a really good LT.

I could care less.

Until he is a Bronco.

Then he's the next Joe Thomas, bitches..

Hawgdriver
04-24-2017, 06:40 PM
Meh, everyone thought Travis Fredrick was a 3-4 round pick. It's an inexact science, like actuarial science.

So meta.

NightTerror218
04-24-2017, 06:42 PM
Forrest lamp...t rex. He is the most spund technique and prob best OL. He was LT in college. Can he be a joe thomas? If he is athletic enough and good solid techniques i think 1/4" shorter arm then joe thomas could be ok.

Hawgdriver
04-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Forrest lamp...t rex. He is the most spund technique and prob best OL. He was LT in college. Can he be a joe thomas? If he is athletic enough and good solid techniques i think 1/4" shorter arm then joe thomas could be ok.

What are his arms?

NightTerror218
04-24-2017, 06:45 PM
What are his arms?

32 1/4"

Hawgdriver
04-24-2017, 06:47 PM
32 1/4 -- that's an obstacle. I'd let him have a go at Shane and Von, see how it works out...but that sounds like a dude on his way to playing G.

NightTerror218
04-24-2017, 06:51 PM
32 1/4 -- that's an obstacle. I'd let him have a go at Shane and Von, see how it works out...but that sounds like a dude on his way to playing G.

Typically yes. And tha is where everyone is projecting him at. But just thinking that the best OL who has sound technique and experience at LT could do it.

Simple Jaded
04-24-2017, 07:00 PM
Joe Thomas is 33 3/4", Lamp left Senior Bowl with shorter arms than Emmanuel Samders. And it's not just arm length, his wingspan is pathetic.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/player/8403/

Bottom of report in parentheses.

Simple Jaded
04-24-2017, 07:08 PM
Btw, Elway was preparing fans for the reality that Sampro could be their starting LT, which would indicate that they don't value LT any more than FB.

underrated29
04-24-2017, 07:13 PM
Btw, Elway was preparing fans for the reality that Sampro could be their starting LT, which would indicate that they don't value LT any more than FB.

That and Elway doesn't like to waste his picks. They stick around until he sure they suck, then he dumps them.

slim
04-24-2017, 07:19 PM
That and Elway doesn't like to waste his picks. They stick around until he sure they suck, then he dumps them.

Except Rahim Moore?

Simple Jaded
04-24-2017, 07:28 PM

He didn't waste that pick, that was Kubiak's pick.

Simple Jaded
04-24-2017, 07:30 PM
Make Lamp the RG and move Garcia to Paradis backup, where they have nobody.

But make Lamp prove he can't survive at LT first.

OrangeHoof
04-24-2017, 07:39 PM
This all sounds like the Texans saying they aren't sure they'll draft a quarterback.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos are still working the phones to get a LT in trade.

Freyaka
04-24-2017, 07:59 PM
Except Rahim Moore?

I think Moore would have been an excellent player. One play changed the trajectory of his entire career (that and that nasty leg injury)

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-24-2017, 09:25 PM
Elway is a master at misdirection. I find it comical anyone thinks he tipped his cards

Poet
04-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Elway is a master at misdirection. I find it comical anyone thinks he tipped his cards

He could literally just say what he wants to do and we couldn't believe it.

#metaElway

NightTerror218
04-24-2017, 11:23 PM

I prefer him over all over OL because he is the best of all lineman and can play all 5 positions. But we need bookends.

Cugel
04-26-2017, 02:37 PM
This all sounds like the Texans saying they aren't sure they'll draft a quarterback.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos are still working the phones to get a LT in trade.

I'd be amazed if they weren't. That doesn't mean Elway will work a trade. But, he'd be crazy not to try. If he had a really good LT this team might have a chance to win the division, even with Trevor Siemian as the QB!

Of course, they still need a TE who's a red zone threat, they've lacked since Julius Thomas left. But, this is perhaps the deepest TE class in NFL history. At least it's very deep which means you can find a TE in the 3rd or even 4th round who will be better than anybody they have on the roster right now.

In addition, they need a slot WR, but there are multiple ways they might fill that need too. RB is another need, but they could pick up a RB in the 3rd round and be OK. There's always Jamal Charles who is still just sitting there waiting for a team to scoop him up. If he's even 60% of the player he was, he's still better than any RB on the roster other than CJ who is oft injured.

Cugel
04-26-2017, 02:42 PM
I prefer him over all over OL because he is the best of all lineman and can play all 5 positions. But we need bookends.

He's a projected pro-bowl caliber G at the NFL level, which is fine. But, that doesn't solve the need for a T. It's like entering a Lamborghini in a dirt bike race. Not the right course where the Lamborghini can really shine.

Hawgdriver
04-26-2017, 02:43 PM

I'm with you.

NightTerror218
04-26-2017, 06:22 PM
He's a projected pro-bowl caliber G at the NFL level, which is fine. But, that doesn't solve the need for a T. It's like entering a Lamborghini in a dirt bike race. Not the right course where the Lamborghini can really shine.

You arw talking about a guy who played LT entire college career. I would let try it out and not take it off tue board as option.