PDA

View Full Version : McShay's Top 32: Christian McCaffrey rising up the board

Pages : 1 [2]

Freyaka
04-28-2017, 07:24 AM
Four LT's - three had first round grades. Two of them were drafted in the first. I don't think we took the right one. I was happy to take a LT. We upgraded over Okung, saved cap space, and there's legitimate first round talent to be had in the second round. Be happy, bitches.

Did we? This kid was the most penalized collegiate o-line player last year, he's 25 and has only one year of FBS experience. He's not overly bright and scored a whopping 9 on the wonderlic. I think we've got a tad bit of a reason to be less than thrilled with this pick Kinger.

CoachChaz
04-28-2017, 08:56 AM
When compared to an OL that starts either Sambraillo or Stephenson at LT...yeah...we're better today than we were yesterday.

underrated29
04-28-2017, 09:00 AM
He has a learning disability. He talked about it during his interview with prime

Freyaka
04-28-2017, 09:00 AM
When compared to an OL that starts either Sambraillo or Stephenson at LT...yeah...we're better today than we were yesterday.

I'm still not sold on that at all. I think even after drafting Bolles, Sampro wins the starting LT job IMO. Maybe Bolles can beat out Watson for RT. I would feel a lot less concerned about him at RT than LT.

Sambraillo has finally built up some upper body strength and may surprise people this year.

Freyaka
04-28-2017, 09:02 AM
He has a learning disability. He talked about it during his interview with prime

Yea, I got chewed out by one of my friends for saying "we drafted an o-linemen with a learning disability who committed more penalties than any other collegiate o-lineman last year"

He laid into me for being judgmental and said something to the extent of "just because he looks slow, doesn't mean he's mentally challenged or has a learning disability"

I was like "dude, he said so himself, this isn't me being mean, this is the freaking truth of the matter..."

CoachChaz
04-28-2017, 09:20 AM
I'm still not sold on that at all. I think even after drafting Bolles, Sampro wins the starting LT job IMO. Maybe Bolles can beat out Watson for RT. I would feel a lot less concerned about him at RT than LT.

Sambraillo has finally built up some upper body strength and may surprise people this year.

The next time Sambraillo wins a job in Denver will be the first time. Never gonna happen. Sorry, but I have to figure that if Elway & Co. had ANY faith that Sambraillo suddenly figured it out...we'd be discussing a completely different draft pick today.

CoachChaz
04-28-2017, 09:25 AM

Didn't you hear...if you don't test well, you can't block well. Pay attention.

Poet
04-28-2017, 10:07 AM
Did we? This kid was the most penalized collegiate o-line player last year, he's 25 and has only one year of FBS experience. He's not overly bright and scored a whopping 9 on the wonderlic. I think we've got a tad bit of a reason to be less than thrilled with this pick Kinger.

He's 25 - lineman can play well into their thirties. Also, G Money pointed out that guys are retiring sooner than before. The age issue is a non-factor I think.

I don't care that he's not the brightest guy in the world. Anyone think Walter Joness, Anthony Munoz, Jeff Saturday, T.J. Long, or Bruce Mathews were out fixing chemical spills with high end chemistry knowledge? Fitzpatrick for the Jets and twelve other teams went to Harvard...and he absolutely sucks! He's smart enough to know how to play football.

Ryan Clady was 'wonderlic dumb'. Ryan Clady was a top three LT before his body exploded.

Freyaka, I'm going to need to you get on the Bolles Bandwagon with me!

underrated29
04-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Didn't you hear...if you don't test well, you can't block well. Pay attention.

Damnit!

Freyaka
04-28-2017, 11:04 AM
He's 25 - lineman can play well into their thirties. Also, G Money pointed out that guys are retiring sooner than before. The age issue is a non-factor I think.

I don't care that he's not the brightest guy in the world. Anyone think Walter Joness, Anthony Munoz, Jeff Saturday, T.J. Long, or Bruce Mathews were out fixing chemical spills with high end chemistry knowledge? Fitzpatrick for the Jets and twelve other teams went to Harvard...and he absolutely sucks! He's smart enough to know how to play football.

Ryan Clady was 'wonderlic dumb'. Ryan Clady was a top three LT before his body exploded.

Freyaka, I'm going to need to you get on the Bolles Bandwagon with me!

I will, give me time. I'm just bitter because it's not a sexy pick... I'll start warming up to him come camp time, just let me have my moment of grumbling.

Poet
04-28-2017, 11:06 AM
I will, give me time. I'm just bitter because it's not a sexy pick... I'll start warming up to him come camp time, just let me have my moment of grumbling.

Imagine having a left side of the offensive line that's more physical than most teams right side. Imagine your boy Trevor Siemian...getting pass pro...proving me wrong. Imagine...just imagine.

CoachChaz
04-28-2017, 11:07 AM

You're from Kansas...grumbling makes sense,

Freyaka
04-28-2017, 11:32 AM
You're from Kansas...grumbling makes sense,

I might be from Texas soon, watch yourself :D

DT88TheGreat
04-28-2017, 01:49 PM
The next time Sambraillo wins a job in Denver will be the first time. Never gonna happen. Sorry, but I have to figure that if Elway & Co. had ANY faith that Sambraillo suddenly figured it out...we'd be discussing a completely different draft pick today.

Yeah yet another bust drafted by elway.... If all the picks this year don't pan out then it's time for elway to find a GM who can get the job done. The Broncos cannot keep wasting 2nd and 3rd round picks as elway has, for crying out loud Ty was just a 2nd round pick 2 drafts ago and already a bust? He better at least be a good RT I swear.

NightTerror218
04-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Just thinking of mccaffery and newton mixing in sone read option plays or boot leg plays to get defense to collapse onto newton and quick pass to mccaffery. Plus greg olson, the cpuld tear us middle if defenses.

Freyaka
04-28-2017, 01:52 PM
Yeah yet another bust drafted by elway.... If all the picks this year don't pan out then it's time for elway to find a GM who can get the job done. The Broncos cannot keep wasting 2nd and 3rd round picks as elway has, for crying out loud Ty was just a 2nd round pick 2 drafts ago and already a bust? He better at least be a good RT I swear.

I'm not ready to give up on him yet. If you are, cool. Clancy Barone was a buffoon when it came to coaching an o-line. Great at coaching receiving TE's (one of the best) but a buffoon at teaching someone how to block. He had no business being an o-line coach. Every TE the man ever coached was fantastic at being an offensive weapon, but not so great at blocking anything.

SamPro had two injuries working against him, a terrible coach and a lack of strength that couldn't be addressed properly because of previously mentioned injury.

He fixed the strength issue according to reports from camp. We've got a great o-line coach now, lets see if that fixes the rest of the issues. If not and he still can't get on the field and stay there this year, then we can start talking bust.

DT88TheGreat
04-28-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm not all the way sold on mccafrey for some reason, personally I'm glad the Broncos didn't draft him. Day 2 backs will have better careers than him.

DT88TheGreat
04-28-2017, 01:58 PM
I'm not ready to give up on him yet. If you are, cool. Clancy Barone was a buffoon when it came to coaching an o-line. Great at coaching receiving TE's (one of the best) but a buffoon at teaching someone how to block. He had no business being an o-line coach. Every TE the man ever coached was fantastic at being an offensive weapon, but not so great at blocking anything.

SamPro had two injuries working against him, a terrible coach and a lack of strength that couldn't be addressed properly because of previously mentioned injury.

He fixed the strength issue according to reports from camp. We've got a great o-line coach now, lets see if that fixes the rest of the issues. If not and he still can't get on the field and stay there this year, then we can start talking bust.

I've already said im not ready to give up on him, I was directly responding to coach saying he wouldn't be a starter again. When in fact he better be a starter at RT. Or else he will be deemed a bust or Watson is just playing out of this world at RT for TY to not take that spot. I will be watching. Elway cannot afford anymore bust high in the draft though.

Hawgdriver
04-28-2017, 01:59 PM

Denver is one of the best drafting teams in recent years, even with a few mistakes added in, witnessed by the Bronco's #1/32 "Lost to Free Agency" rate of 21.82% since 2010.

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/assessing-nfl-draft-contracts-since-2010-628/

DT88TheGreat
04-28-2017, 02:02 PM
Denver is one of the best drafting teams in recent years, even with a few mistakes added in, witnessed by the Bronco's #1/32 "Lost to Free Agency" rate of 21.82% since 2010.

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/assessing-nfl-draft-contracts-since-2010-628/

I don't know about what other teams are doing, but a member posted all of our 2nd and 3rd round picks since elway and damn near all of them were bust and no longer on the team.

Hawgdriver
04-28-2017, 02:04 PM
I don't know about what other teams are doing, but a member posted all of our 2nd and 3rd round picks since elway and damn near all of them were bust and no longer on the team.

Neat.

DT88TheGreat
04-28-2017, 02:09 PM
Yeah very neat that 12 guys drafted in rounds 2-3 the last 5 years are bust and no longer on the team. If you think that is one of the best then good luck, that is poor as hell.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/draft.htm

Deal with facts bro.... I'm as big of a elway guy as anybody but he has drafted 12 bust in round 2-3 alone, I didnt even want to include other rounds because it would be worst!

Hawgdriver
04-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Yeah very neat that 12 guys drafted in rounds 2-3 the last 5 years are bust and no longer on the team. If you think that is one of the best then good luck, that is poor as hell.

Deal with facts bro.... I'm as big of a elway guy as anybody but he has drafted 12 bust in round 2-3 alone, I didnt even want to include other rounds because it would be worst!

Facts without any logical or meaningful association. Pure coincidence. Randomness. Why discuss white noise on a TV screen? It's just noise, not shapes, no matter how much your brain wants to see shapes in the noise.

Poet
04-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Facts without any logical or meaningful association. Pure coincidence. Randomness. Why discuss white noise on a TV screen? It's just noise, not shapes, no matter how much your brain wants to see shapes in the noise.

Stop flirting with me.

ShaneFalco
04-28-2017, 02:31 PM
#BringbackYash

Freyaka
04-28-2017, 02:37 PM

Calm down Yash...The fact is this team is very well built and not long removed from a Superbowl. None of those "facts" help your argument.

Yes we struggle in round's 2-3, we're money almost everywhere else. No one hits on 100 percent of their picks, outside of those two rounds we hit more than many teams in the NFL.

It's not important that every pick pan out, it's that enough picks pan out that you are competitive and we've been very competitive since Elway got here.

DT88TheGreat
04-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Do I seem hype? Stating facts about drafting 12 bust in rounds 2-3 says calm down? I just stated I dont trust elway in the draft. I wasn't one of the ones melting down about bolles either. Im fine with bolles. I just want too hit on all 3 picks today. He has to hit.

Hawgdriver
04-28-2017, 03:06 PM
Yes we struggle in round's 2-3

False.

Fire Bronc
04-28-2017, 03:06 PM
Just curious, not stirring up anything. What are your expectations for second and third round picks? and who are the twelve you are referring to as busts?

DT88TheGreat
04-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Jeff huermann looks like a bust, hasn't contributed at all

Ty sambrello is a bust according to hapf this message board

Cody Latimer a bust

Schofueld a bust

Sylvester Williams a bust

Montee ball a bust

Kayvon webster a bust

Osweiler a bust

Ronnie Hillman gone, probably out the league by now. Bust

Nate Irving a bust

Rahim moore a bust

Orlando Franklin gone.

These are just guy's from rounds 2-3 outside of sylvester Williams. If anybody thinks striking out that many times in round 2-3 are acceptable then your standards for having a good first half of the draft are low. And I hope Gotsis turns into a stud DE for us, he was last year's 2nd round pick and many already think he's on the route to being a bust, juston Simmons looks like a keeper who he got in round 3.

I'm not really bashing elway but it's time to start drafting well in rounds 2 and 3, if you swing and miss 4-7 then oh well but you can't miss every year in 2-3 where there's talent to be had every single year like that.

DT88TheGreat
04-28-2017, 03:19 PM
My expectations for 2nd and 3rds are starters right away in some cases, but definitely quality starters after 1-3 years.

underrated29
04-28-2017, 04:28 PM
jeff huermann looks like a bust, hasn't contributed at all

ty sambrello is a bust according to hapf this message board

cody latimer a bust-----not this year

schofueld a bust

sylvester williams a bust

montee ball a bust

kayvon webster a bust---------not hardly

osweiler a bust

ronnie hillman gone, probably out the league by now. Bust-------with chargers not a bust but i hate the tank

nate irving a bust

rahim moore a bust

orlando franklin gone.

These are just guy's from rounds 2-3 outside of sylvester williams. If anybody thinks striking out that many times in round 2-3 are acceptable then your standards for having a good first half of the draft are low. And i hope gotsis turns into a stud de for us, he was last year's 2nd round pick and many already think he's on the route to being a bust, juston simmons looks like a keeper who he got in round 3.

I'm not really bashing elway but it's time to start drafting well in rounds 2 and 3, if you swing and miss 4-7 then oh well but you can't miss every year in 2-3 where there's talent to be had every single year like that.

caps

spikerman
04-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Jeff huermann looks like a bust, hasn't contributed at all

Ty sambrello is a bust according to hapf this message board

Cody Latimer a bust

Schofueld a bust

Sylvester Williams a bust

Montee ball a bust

Kayvon webster a bust

Osweiler a bust

Ronnie Hillman gone, probably out the league by now. Bust

Nate Irving a bust

Rahim moore a bust

Orlando Franklin gone.

These are just guy's from rounds 2-3 outside of sylvester Williams. If anybody thinks striking out that many times in round 2-3 are acceptable then your standards for having a good first half of the draft are low. And I hope Gotsis turns into a stud DE for us, he was last year's 2nd round pick and many already think he's on the route to being a bust, juston Simmons looks like a keeper who he got in round 3.

I think Syl Williams was a first round pick. That is all.

NightTerror218
04-28-2017, 05:52 PM
I think Syl Williams was a first round pick. That is all.

Apparently bust means not with team. Even when they are gone because they were over priced for elway. Elway tried to keep several of those players but he lets almost all test FA.

BroncoJoe
04-28-2017, 06:52 PM
I had such high hopes for DT.

Dashed.

MOtorboat
04-28-2017, 06:54 PM
I had such high hopes for DT.

Dashed.

And he just dropped the ball.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-28-2017, 08:42 PM
I need to go smack a white woman

Northman
04-28-2017, 08:46 PM
My expectations for 2nd and 3rds are starters right away in some cases, but definitely quality starters after 1-3 years.

Can you list the NFL teams that have hit on all their 2nd and 3rd round picks the last few year? Im generally curious about that.

DT88TheGreat
04-28-2017, 09:02 PM
Im not concerned with other team's, I'm sure nobody is missing 5 year's in a row like we have though.

spikerman
04-28-2017, 09:18 PM
Im not concerned with other team's, I'm sure nobody is missing 5 year's in a row like we have though.

Maybe they should hire you since you know what it takes to be a successful scout. From now on, please make the pick before the Broncos do so we can all be amazed at your prowess.

underrated29
04-28-2017, 09:23 PM
And he just dropped the ball.

He didnt dive..........OH SNAP

DT88TheGreat
04-28-2017, 09:32 PM
Maybe they should hire you since you know what it takes to be a successful scout. From now on, please make the pick before the Broncos do so we can all be amazed at your prowess.

Im not getting paid to scout and pick player's, I'm just a fan who watches and studies guys when I can. As you can see I haven't predicted any picks in the draft thread. If I was getting $ to do it and it was my job to do it then maybe I could project where guys would go, should go. The draft proves every year that things rarely go as planned as far as where players are going. I enjoy seeing others around here take a jab at it though.

Elway has nailed every pick thus far, proving he felt like he needed to redeem himself in the draft, he has free agency on lock and now he appears to be getting on track in the draft with yet another good pick @ WR just now. This is all I asked is for him to nail rounds 1-3 and he's doing it now.

spikerman
04-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Im not getting paid to scout and pick player's, I'm just a fan who watches and studies guys when I can. As you can see I haven't predicted any picks in the draft thread. If I was getting $ to do it and it was my job to do it then maybe I could project where guys would go, should go. The draft proves every year that things rarely go as planned as far as where players are going. I enjoy seeing others around here take a jab at it though.

Elway has nailed every pick thus far, proving he felt like he needed to redeem himself in the draft, he has free agency on lock and now he appears to be getting on track in the draft with yet another good pick @ WR just now. This is all I asked is for him to nail rounds 1-3 and he's doing it now.
You've been very critical about past drafts. Maybe..... just maybe, this is tougher than it looks without the benefit of hindsight.

Cugel
04-28-2017, 10:26 PM
Apparently, Bolles was #2 on their entire board after Christian McCaffrey. There was nobody, even OJ Howard, who, if they were still on the board they would have taken that guy. However, observers say that he's going to take some time to get ready. I now expect Ty Sambrailo to get a chance to start while Bolles is getting ready.

I know everybody thinks that's absurd. I won't disagree. But, Elway went out of his way to praise Sambrailo in his presser. Everybody is saying "that was just subterfuge" but I don't think so. I think Elway was being completely frank. He expects a lot out of Sambrailo now that he's healthy. I don't expect too much, but Elway really liked him before he was hurt, and now for the first time he's been able to get in the weight room and add strength, and with new OL coaches, they could think they can coach him up to be a starter.

Then why take Bolles? Because they believe his ceiling is much greater than Sambrailo's. I don't hear such great stuff, but they've studied him vastly more, so we'll see what happens. If he takes 1/2 a season or even a season to develop and then turns into a long-term starter they have a solution to the problem of LT that has been plaguing them since Ryan Clady got injured back in 2013.

And in the meantime they may really mean that Sambrailo could fill in as starter until Bolles is ready to start.

Poet
04-28-2017, 10:30 PM
Apparently, Bolles was #2 on their entire board after Christian McCaffrey. There was nobody, even OJ Howard, who, if they were still on the board they would have taken that guy. However, observers say that he's going to take some time to get ready. I now expect Ty Sambrailo to get a chance to start while Bolles is getting ready.

I know everybody thinks that's absurd. I won't disagree. But, Elway went out of his way to praise Sambrailo in his presser. Everybody is saying "that was just subterfuge" but I don't think so. I think Elway was being completely frank. He expects a lot out of Sambrailo now that he's healthy. I don't expect too much, but Elway really liked him before he was hurt, and now for the first time he's been able to get in the weight room and add strength, and with new OL coaches, they could think they can coach him up to be a starter.

Then why take Bolles? Because they believe his ceiling is much greater than Sambrailo's. I don't hear such great stuff, but they've studied him vastly more, so we'll see what happens. If he takes 1/2 a season or even a season to develop and then turns into a long-term starter they have a solution to the problem of LT that has been plaguing them since Ryan Clady got injured back in 2013.

And in the meantime they may really mean that Sambrailo could fill in as starter until Bolles is ready to start.

Bolles will end up with that job very early in the season. It was a wonderful pick. It allowed us to let Okung go and rid the roster of a horrible player; save money for future contracts; get some actual talent on the roster; it really did everything for us. The Broncos now have one of the most talented LT LG combos in the league. I told you it would be alright and it is.

spikerman
04-28-2017, 10:50 PM
I don't think John Elway is watching the same games we're watching. Maybe from his box it looks like the Broncos are getting solid TE play.

MOtorboat
04-29-2017, 12:36 AM
I don't think John Elway is watching the same games we're watching. Maybe from his box it looks like the Broncos are getting solid TE play.

Plus, he only had four picks. Apparently he thought the players he took were better than the tight ends or fit a bigger need. Personally, I think this team needs a better receiving tight end so that backs can help more in protection and our young, not really good quarterback has another outlet, but I'm not overly worried that one wasn't drafted.

Simple Jaded
04-29-2017, 01:26 AM

Sampro sucks, you've talked all offseason about how hard it is for rookie LT's to start and play well as rookies and yet you've decided that Sampro is legit after 3 1/2 (poorly played) games.

I'm not making any predictions, just pointing out that he sucks...and that apparently you like players who suck.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-29-2017, 10:02 AM
Plus, he only had four picks. Apparently he thought the players he took were better than the tight ends or fit a bigger need. Personally, I think this team needs a better receiving tight end so that backs can help more in protection and our young, not really good quarterback has another outlet, but I'm not overly worried that one wasn't drafted.

That's because he didn't play that many games at corner. Most of his college career was at wide receiver

MOtorboat
04-29-2017, 10:08 AM
That's because he didn't play that many games at corner. Most of his college career was at wide receiver

Huh?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Huh?

If we're talking about our 2nd 3rd rounder, yes. He was a WR at Georgia and after he transferred. That's why he's so raw. He hasn't played corner for that long

Freyaka
04-29-2017, 12:01 PM
I guess I'm going to have to start trolling Yash's new personality by bashing DT now...Which sucks, because I always really liked DT.

Oh well...

MOtorboat
04-29-2017, 01:39 PM
If we're talking about our 2nd 3rd rounder, yes. He was a WR at Georgia and after he transferred. That's why he's so raw. He hasn't played corner for that long

I don't think you meant to quote me.

G_Money
04-29-2017, 01:41 PM
Mo - you said "he only had 4 picks." You meant Elway. He thought you were talking about Langley the new CB. And then it all got worse from there.

MOtorboat
04-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Mo - you said "he only had 4 picks." You meant Elway. He thought you were talking about Langley the new CB. And then it all got worse from there.

Ah. Yeah, I was pretty confused. I just meant Elway only had four draft picks thus far, so something wasn't going to get addressed. Looks like tight end just got addressed though.

slim
04-29-2017, 03:18 PM
I like Butt

spikerman
04-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Ah. Yeah, I was pretty confused. I just meant Elway only had four draft picks thus far, so something wasn't going to get addressed. Looks like tight end just got addressed though.

Yeah, I think you were addressing me and I knew what you meant.

MOtorboat
04-29-2017, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I think you were addressing me and I knew what you meant.

Yeah. I was trying to agree with you and apply an addendum to the thought.

Cugel
04-29-2017, 04:01 PM
I like Butt

I like big Butt and I cannot lie. You other brothers can't deny!

Hawgdriver
04-29-2017, 11:40 PM
I like Butt

Not if you knew what just wafted from mine.

Simple Jaded
04-30-2017, 08:10 PM
I like to waft in the shower, intensifies the waft.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-30-2017, 09:26 PM
I like to waft in the shower, intensifies the waft.

Vapor pressure enhances it.

Simple Jaded
05-01-2017, 03:21 AM
Vapor pressure enhances it.

Is there any vapor pressure in deviled eggs?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-01-2017, 08:08 AM
Is there any vapor pressure in deviled eggs?

Somewhat, most of the vapor pressure is provided by the humidity from the shower