PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Insider Mike Klis Dishes the Inside Scoop On Calais Campbell & Russell Okung

Cugel
03-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Interview with Broncos Insider Mike Klis provided this interesting inside story on the Broncos FA negotiations:

Klis: "You know, in 2014, when the Broncos had Peyton Manning at QB, and they were able to get DeMarcus Ware, and Aquib Talib, and TJ Ward, and Emmanuel Sanders, that was a heck of a FA class that the Broncos reeled in. They haven't been able to get that kind of a class since then. And Yesterday they lost big time I thought on Calais Campbell.

And they got in a little late. I was always under the understanding when I was trying to follow what those guys were doing upstairs at their headquarters, that Calais Campbell was their #1 wish, their #1 target. They got in a little late, they had that negotiating window Tuesday and Wednesday, the Broncos didn't make the call on Campbell until Wed. night, thinking that the strategy is the earlier you get in the more the price gets driven up and that is probably true.

But, here's what the Broncos have heading into free agency. They have a team that didn't make the playoffs, and so is not necessarily the best team out there competing. You're not necessarily going to a team that's super bowl ready. That's #1.

Number #2 there's uncertainty at QB if you're Calais Campbell.

And #3 you've got a first year head coach.

With those factors you can't be $2M under the market and get guys. And that's what they had with with Calais Campbell. They wanted him at $13 M and Jacksonville got him at $15M.

Maybe the Broncos of two years ago with Peyton Manning could have gotten Calais Campbell for $2M less. But, this is not necessarily an attractive destination where the Broncos sit now. I think the Broncos have to be a million $ more to get the guys they want, not $2M less.

Q: "Did the Broncos mis-read the market once again on Russell Okung?"

Mike Klis: "Yes. Probably. I think Russell Okung was one of those guys, they wanted him. He did not have a good year last year, and I'm not sure. You know he's a player rep., and he's real smart, and sometimes management is not sure they want that guy around down in the locker-room.

So, I'm not sure. The Broncos wanted him back because they needed a LT, but I'm not sure they were all that excited about him. I think what they offered him was quite a bit less than what he got from San Diego ($13.3M a year).

Now they need a LT, and they're kinda poking around on a RT too [Menelik Watson] and now they need a 5 technique DT too. That's what they hoped for coming out of FA. But, now as we stand here today, I would bet on an OT with the #20 pick of the first round of the draft and not Christian McCaffrey."

So, instead of best player available, a real impact player with the #20 pick of the draft , insteadof Christian McCaffrey, we get a desperate reach for a LT who maybe has a late first round or maybe a second round grade, and probably won't provide an immediate starter for 2017.

Poet
03-11-2017, 02:55 PM
Klis is not an insider. He is far too stupid to be an actual insider. Stop listening to a bunch of half-assed media guys.

Northman
03-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Its an opinion piece, not fact. Klis has no idea who Denver will draft at #20. I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Poet
03-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Its an opinion piece, not fact. Klis has no idea who Denver will draft at #20. I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Klis argued we didn't need a RT.

Because he's an idiot.

No one but like five guys are insiders.

Poet
03-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Also, everyone is jerking off to McCaffery. He's probably not going to be there at 20. It's going to be pretty funny when most of the holes are filled and people still whine about one important position not being filled.

Worst thread ever. Delete it and apologize. You ******* monster!

Simple Jaded
03-11-2017, 03:05 PM
My sources tell me the Broncos are working on a deal to send Sunshine to the Cheats for Nate The Hate Solder. Stay tuned as I will be updating this on the 10's.

Now, here's a word from our sponsors.

Poet
03-11-2017, 03:06 PM
My sources tell me Von Kinger is about to order an extra large pizza.

Northman
03-11-2017, 03:09 PM

Sweet,

send it to my house.

Cugel
03-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Also, everyone is jerking off to McCaffery. He's probably not going to be there at 20. It's going to be pretty funny when most of the holes are filled and people still whine about one important position not being filled.

Worst thread ever. Delete it and apologize. You ******* monster!

No.

Simple Jaded
03-11-2017, 03:13 PM

What kind of pizza? It can't be the wrong kind of pizza, only the right kind of pizza is acceptable.

Nomad
03-11-2017, 03:17 PM
What kind of pizza? It can't be the wrong kind of pizza, only the right kind of pizza is acceptable.

In Eagle River, Pizza Man's all meat pizza is the best.

BTW....who is the reliable BRONCOS insider?

Simple Jaded
03-11-2017, 03:21 PM
In Eagle River, Pizza Man's all meat pizza is the best.

Word! Regardless of who makes the pizza it has to start with the Big Four; Pep, Sausage, Meatballs and pig.

Poet
03-11-2017, 03:22 PM

Sources say he might audible to BDubs.

Simple Jaded
03-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Sources say he might audible to BDubs.

Bold strategy. I like NTN Trivia.

Poet
03-11-2017, 03:25 PM
Bold strategy. I like NTN Trivia.

Breaking news - Von Kinger might get both pizza and bdubs. He is powering up to take his anger out on the toilet he nicknamed 'New England'.

Oh god...another report...he's driving to Dallas to whip Jerry Jones' ass.

Nomad
03-11-2017, 03:26 PM
No.

I'm a little slow, so please explain this to me.....I don't get it.

Poet
03-11-2017, 03:27 PM
No.

That is a stylin' post.

Valar Morghulis
03-11-2017, 03:43 PM
My sources tell me the Broncos are working on a deal to send Sunshine to the Cheats for Nate The Hate Solder. Stay tuned as I will be updating this on the 10's. Now, here's a word from our sponsors.

You are making a race related joke here aren't you!?

Simple Jaded
03-11-2017, 04:11 PM
You are making a race related joke here aren't you!?

Si. Cause the P*triots like slow, white stiffs...get it?

Valar Morghulis
03-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Si. Cause the P*triots like slow, white stiffs...get it?

I got it alright!!!

Now, when are me and thee gonna scuttle some hooker?

Poet
03-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Jaded has aids. And he's a powerbottom.

Simple Jaded
03-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Breaking news - Von Kinger might get both pizza and bdubs. He is powering up to take his anger out on the toilet he nicknamed 'New England'.

Oh god...another report...he's driving to Dallas to whip Jerry Jones' ass.
Ok now we're talking, pizza AND wings, this is what the P*triots would do.

#wwt*d?

Simple Jaded
03-11-2017, 04:55 PM
I got it alright!!!

Now, when are me and thee gonna scuttle some hooker?

Whenever you're up to it, you know of any good pimps?

Simple Jaded
03-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Jaded has aids. And he's a powerbottom.

Imma powerbabyarm.

Valar Morghulis
03-11-2017, 05:13 PM
Whenever you're up to it, you know of any good pimps?

The places I frequent mean that I know a few. Hell, my last motel had a dead pimp in my room when I arrived.

Valar Morghulis
03-11-2017, 05:13 PM
The places I frequent mean that I know a few. Hell, my last motel had a dead pimp in my room when I arrived.

It was everything I could have hoped for, and more