PDA

View Full Version : The reality of the hard cap.

Broncoknight30
03-11-2017, 12:56 PM
I am not sure how well this franchise would do without a hard cap, but the reality is it makes the draft less valuable to me.

Say a team drafts well and hits on 5 productive players, it would be lucky to keep 2 of them when it is time to pay them.

I know I am not exactly saying anything new, but the sobering reality takes away from the anticipation of the draft for me.

The Pats have been very fortunate for a variety of reasons and perhaps the best reason is Tom Brady being the 12th highest paid QB. The fact that he is basically the MVP of the league every year and his salary not counting all that much, what an advantage. To have player like that who is more interested in fulfilling a legacy than needing to be the highest paid player.

I know, sounds like I am whining. However, Elway's concerns about avoiding overpaying is just as important or even more so than any other aspect of the team.

I personally wish (won't ever happen) there would be some sort of Larry Bird rule. I think that is a rule anyway. Where a players salary does not count against the cap number if they were drafted by that team. Some kind of variation of that rule. I know basketball franchises have 9 players on the roster compared to 53.

It just frustrates me to think if the Broncos do draft well, that it really causes other problems.

Simple Jaded
03-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Moar P*triot Envy.

BroncoWave
03-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Drafting well and having to decide which good players to pay is, like, the best problem you can possibly have. Horrible point is horrible.

Broncoknight30
03-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Drafting well and having to decide which good players to pay is, like, the best problem you can possibly have. Horrible point is horrible.

Yeah, great that the franchise could not pay Trevathan and Malik. Got it. The fact is if they draft well, they will only be able to keep a mere fraction of the players.

Something frustrating about that to me.

Of course there is Pats envy. 7 SBs and 5 titles with a QB whose salary hardly counts against their cap?

Not envious of that? Of course not.

BroncoWave
03-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Yeah, great that the franchise could not pay Trevathan and Malik. Got it. The fact is if they draft well, they will only be able to keep a mere fraction of the players.

Something frustrating about that to me.

Of course there is Pats envy. 7 SBs and 5 titles with a QB whose salary hardly counts against their cap?

Not envious of that? Of course not.

So you'd rather we just draft poorly so we don't have that problem?

Rick
03-11-2017, 01:19 PM
NFL has a fanastic cap for the most part.

I would hate the MLB or NBA cap system.

Northman
03-11-2017, 01:20 PM
The days of building dynasties have long been over. The Pats success relies on finding (which they have) the HOF QB. After that the team relies on good coaching and taking and building good players through the draft, make smart FA signings (not overpay), and maneuver themselves on the draft board to reload. If Denver got 5 quality starters in the draft, they would not be able to keep them all. This is true. But, it would give players a certain value in not only for attracting other players or but if they are traded. The one constant though is for the teams that are the most successful they have one anchor and that is the QB. Right now for the Broncos they need to find that long term guy, using guys like Manning are fine but its only a band aid and not a long term fix. There is nothing wrong wanting to use the Patriot blueprint but you still need to find the one guy who is going to lead your team for 10 or so years.

BroncoWave
03-11-2017, 01:28 PM
NFL has a fanastic cap for the most part.

I would hate the MLB or NBA cap system.

Agreed. Yeah it makes it hard to build a great team, but it should be hard. The NFL is the one pro sport where it truly feels like any team can have a chance to win any given year. You can't just buy superteams like the Warriors or Yankees.

Bronco4ever
03-11-2017, 02:33 PM
I'd rather draft studs like Trav and Jackson and only have them for 4 years (multiple Super Bowl runs) than never have them at all. You can't keep everyone in today's NFL and I'm ok with that.

MOtorboat
03-11-2017, 06:43 PM
The free agency meltdown has been pretty solid. B+

Nomad
03-11-2017, 07:24 PM
The free agency meltdown has been pretty solid. B+

What needs to be done to make it an A+? :D

Valar Morghulis
03-11-2017, 07:25 PM
What needs to be done to make it an A+? :D
We need to sign kaepernick

Nomad
03-11-2017, 07:30 PM
We need to sign kaepernick

Yep! That would definitely do it

Poet
03-11-2017, 07:32 PM
He'd be our best QB on the roster.

Timmy!
03-11-2017, 07:41 PM
we need to sign cutler or oz

fifa.

Davii
03-11-2017, 07:55 PM
44 posts I just had to delete....

Guys, this is "Broncos Talk". This is not the lounge. Personal attacks, circumventing the text filter, going COMPLETELY off topic to discuss who is/isn't a style god, discussing gay sex or bbq'ing hookers, etcetera is not allowed in this area.

Take it to the lounge please and let those who come here to enjoy football discussions enjoy themselves as well.

Nomad
03-11-2017, 08:12 PM
My apologies.

Poet
03-11-2017, 08:17 PM
One of the best parts about the board is that we have a lot of friends and a lot of personalities with running jokes. Even with all of that stuff, there was football posts with the gags. It is what it is. Message board snitching...two thumbs the **** down. And I'm not mad at you Davii as you have a job to do. I get it.

The hard cap makes it so teams have to operate on a somewhat even playing field. While revenue and the like does matter to some teams in competitiveness -coaching staffs and front offices aren't against the cap- by and large it forces GM's to draft well and try to sign players a year or two before they blow up and get a huge contract. Some players actually earn their deal -Von Miller, Rodgers, Brady, Watt- and others are just there to cash in because of a big cap jump/scarcity of the position/both/other factors -Okung is the primary offender this year- and it's a lot to manage.

Northman
03-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Take it to the lounge please and let those who come here to enjoy football discussions enjoy themselves as well.

Wait?

Are you saying im not amusing you? Do i not amuse you????

Joel
03-11-2017, 08:25 PM
32 teamsX48 roster spots=1536 positions, counting everyone down to the backups' backups
32 teamsX7 draft rounds (not counting supplemental picks)=224 players

It doesn't take a math doctorate to figure out that if everyone drafted were good enough to even be a fourth string player few NFL players would last beyond 27, let alone into their mid-thirties. The reality is that after the middle of round 3 you're lucky to EVEN get backup quality players, and every draft pick after round 5 is just taking a flyer with nothing but upside simply because the cost (i.e. a low 5th or worse pick) is so minimal.

Backups aren't busting anyones cap, so if you get even a couple high-salary players out of a draft you're doing great, especially since you'll have them for peanuts the first four years and won't have to worry about paying them their worth until/unless it becomes evident and you're older stars have begun a decline that either makes them far more cap-friendly or forces them into outright retirement because the CBA guarantees 10+ year vets $1M just to ride pine.

The draft's an invaluable way to build teams; the cap and FA have only reinforced rather than weakened that, since it's no longer possible to make rookies indentured servants throughout their careers. You just have to 1) take the long view, 2) scout well and 3) anticipate holes (i.e. take the long view.)

GEM
03-11-2017, 08:29 PM
So, who's the snitch, King? It wasn't reported by anyone in this thread who is not a mod. It broke rules, stepped over a lot of boundaries and bullying a poster because some of you don't value their posts. ..it's childish bs that I really thought members of this board were above.

If you didn't or don't see what was wrong with the posts that were deleted, then that's probably a large part of the problem.

Poet
03-11-2017, 08:48 PM
So, who's the snitch, King? It wasn't reported by anyone in this thread who is not a mod. It broke rules, stepped over a lot of boundaries and bullying a poster because some of you don't value their posts. ..it's childish bs that I really thought members of this board were above.

If you didn't or don't see what was wrong with the posts that were deleted, then that's probably a large part of the problem.

Whoever reported it is the one who is the snitch. Threads go off-topic. And I don't mean to be rude, or blunt, or anything negative, but I've not been able to think of any poster here who has been here awhile who hasn't done it.

Timmy!
03-11-2017, 08:58 PM
I demand my minions gif be reinstated.

BroncoWave
03-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Just my two cents, but I think this thread would have been better off being moved to the lounge than having basically all of it deleted.

Davii
03-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Or, alternatively, we can keep lounge talk in the lounge in the first place.

GEM
03-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Whoever reported it is the one who is the snitch. Threads go off-topic. And I don't mean to be rude, or blunt, or anything negative, but I've not been able to think of any poster here who has been here awhile who hasn't done it.

A mod read through and saw rules broken. I'm sure had the original poster wanted this in the lounge, that's where they would have started it.

GEM
03-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Why would this be started in the lounge? It's Broncos, Patriots, rules and football related. And threads shouldn't have to be moved because of a couple posters decided to derail it as a bully tactic. If you don't have constructive shit to say and add to a thread, post the lounge talk in the lounge.

Northman
03-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Its pretty off topic now. Thanks mods..... :)

Hawgdriver
03-11-2017, 09:32 PM
I support law enforcement. :mhs:

Sorry Davii, I'll leave your pic to North.

slim
03-11-2017, 11:22 PM
Davii bringing the pain and King whining about it. Some things never change.

Simple Jaded
03-11-2017, 11:31 PM
I was gonna give this thread 5 Stars.

slim
03-11-2017, 11:33 PM
I was gonna give this thread 5 Stars.

It is really more of a 3 star thread.

Hawgdriver
03-11-2017, 11:35 PM
It is really more of a 3 star thread.

It was 4 star until you and Jaded posted.

Simple Jaded
03-11-2017, 11:38 PM
I deserve that, I have that effect on threads.

Valar Morghulis
03-12-2017, 12:57 AM
Apologies to all for my part.

In real life I am quite inappropriate and have no filter, sometimes I just forget where I am.

Jsteve01
03-12-2017, 01:01 AM
wtf is going on in here....this is like a classic from the lounge

Poet
03-12-2017, 01:08 AM
Davii bringing the pain and King whining about it. Some things never change.

You're so ******* stupid.

slim
03-12-2017, 08:54 AM
You're so ******* stupid.

I'm rubber and you're glue.

Simple Jaded
03-12-2017, 12:17 PM
wtf is going on in here....this is like a classic from the lounge

It was.

PatriotsGuy
03-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Did somebody say Patriots?