PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to sign G Ronald Leary

VonDoom
03-09-2017, 12:31 PM
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 1m1 minute ago

Cowboys G Ron Leary plans to sign with the Denver Broncos assuming no last-minute negotiating snags, per sources.

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo 1m1 minute ago

Broncos to sign G Ronald Leary to a four-year deal worth $35m with $20m gtd, source says. Big money for a guy once lost in the shuffle.

VonDoom
03-09-2017, 12:34 PM
If I recall correctly, Leary is more of a LG. If Garcia starts next year, he'd probably move to RG, which is where he was better two years ago. Solid start.

CoachChaz
03-09-2017, 12:38 PM
Definite improvement for the run game.

slim
03-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Didn't he lose his job to a rookie?

G_Money
03-09-2017, 12:43 PM
He's a good pickup. We'll see how he does playing next to lesser linemen, and you never know about those pesky degenerative knee conditions, but he's far better than any guard options on the Denver roster last year. Doesn't solve Denver's tackle problem, and the draft will likely garner more of an OT in training than a Day 1 stud, but there are ways around that.

There aren't a lot of ways around getting destroyed up the middle on every play, so Leary will help there. Might provide our FB with an actual hole to charge through, too.

CoachChaz
03-09-2017, 12:44 PM

Yes, but it was injury related and the rookie was pretty damn good. He had a groin injury and that allowed La'el Collins to step in. But then Collins went down this year and Leary was pretty damn good.

G_Money
03-09-2017, 12:46 PM

He was better than that rookie/2nd year when he got his job back. He's a good player. Denver gave him his asking price, which Dallas could not. They figure not to lose much with Collins re-taking the starting job for about 8 million cheaper, but Denver doesn't have that kind of OL depth. He should help Paradis as well by not falling all over himself the second there's any bull rush, which will be a new feeling for Paradis. Watching the pocket collapse like cheap papier mache under even the briefest of pressures can't have been fun.

One thing at a time.

VonDoom
03-09-2017, 12:50 PM
https://twitter.com/MileHighReport/status/839895212134539264

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Broncos agreed to terms with LG Ronald Leary, formerly of the Cowboys, on a four-year, $35-million contract.
NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the deal includes $20 million in guaranteed money and makes Leary the fourth-highest paid guard in the league, although Kevin Zeitler and perhaps T.J. Land will jump him in the coming hours. Leary is coming off a quality season in Dallas, but the Cowboys were never going to pay him at the top of the guard market with La'el Collins set to return from injury. Leary should be an immediate upgrade on 2016 LG Max Garcia, who the Broncos will likely try to move to the right side. Despite adding Leary, Denver has more work to do along the offensive line, specifically at tackle. Mar 9 - 12:32 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7804/ronald-leary

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis 18m

Ronald Leary has played left guard but either he or Max Garcia will switch to RG. Broncos still in play for at least 1 starting OT. #9sports

Simple Jaded
03-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Sign DJ Fluker to play RG and let Garcia backup Paradis.

NightTerror218
03-09-2017, 01:01 PM
How is stephenson still on roster.

Biggest thing about beefing the middle of line. Allows a QB to step up in pocket. Neithe of our QBs could do that last year.

GEM
03-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Well after reading Carol's last post, if this guy plays G and Garcia plays G, does that push Schofield out to T? :puke:

Poet
03-09-2017, 01:02 PM

They put Collins out there because he's a huge talent. Last year Dallas had people offering them picks for Leary after they drafted Collins. They wanted him on the roster in case Collins didn't take at the new position. So yes and no.

CoachChaz
03-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Well after reading Carol's last post, if this guy plays G and Garcia plays G, does that push Schofield out to T? :puke:

Schofield was decent at times at guard last year and I think his versatility keeps him around as a backup. I'd be fine with that if dump Sambrailo and Stephenson

Poet
03-09-2017, 01:03 PM
anything is possssssssssssible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawgdriver
03-09-2017, 01:04 PM

Yes. Skeptical.

VonDoom
03-09-2017, 01:08 PM

Biggest thing about beefing the middle of line. Allows a QB to step up in pocket. Neithe of our QBs could do that last year.

Until we actually have viable tackles on this team, Stephenson will still be here. On our current roster, these are basically the only guys who "can" play tackle right now - Stephenson, Schofield, Sambrailo. Not an inspiring list.

GEM
03-09-2017, 01:12 PM
Schofield was decent at times at guard last year and I think his versatility keeps him around as a backup. I'd be fine with that if dump Sambrailo and Stephenson

He's much improved at G, he sucks monkey balls at T.

Poet
03-09-2017, 01:13 PM
He's much improved at G, he sucks monkey balls at T.

Is he, at guard, average?

GEM
03-09-2017, 01:14 PM

He wasn't getting pushed back into the QB like he was on skates like he was at T. I'd say average is a good description. Won't light it up, but does his job.

Poet
03-09-2017, 01:15 PM
He wasn't getting pushed back into the QB like he was on skates like he was at T. I'd say average is a good description. Won't light it up, but does his job.

We have hope.

G_Money
03-09-2017, 01:25 PM

If Denver can get its backups to a) PLAY AT THEIR BEST POSITION and b) be average at that position, it will be a massive improvement. Schofield is not and should never be a tackle in this league. Let him be a G backup and emergency TE or something.

Poet
03-09-2017, 01:26 PM
If Denver can get its backups to a) PLAY AT THEIR BEST POSITION and b) be average at that position, it will be a massive improvement. Schofield is not and should never be a tackle in this league. Let him be a G backup and emergency TE or something.

Where have you been?

G_Money
03-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Where have you been?

Couldn't take the Paxton/Lynch nonsense. I come back every year, like a swallow to Capistrano. Been spending most of the year writing about the Nuggets on Denver Stiffs, making sure I can pay rent (not with that job because hahahahaha no) and working out whether I can buy a house. Just life stuff, man. :) It's still been very good to me.

I see you survived another year... *pays up on bet* How goes?

Poet
03-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Couldn't take the Paxton/Lynch nonsense. I come back every year, like a swallow to Capistrano. Been spending most of the year writing about the Nuggets on Denver Stiffs, making sure I can pay rent (not with that job because hahahahaha no) and working out whether I can buy a house. Just life stuff, man. :) It's still been very good to me.

I feel like I might be a poster who makes you hate the board via QB talk. If that is the case I'm sorry.

I'm going to law school and John Elway delivered me into Broncodom. It's not bad.

Slick
03-09-2017, 02:33 PM

Hope you're doing well G. We miss your takes around here.

Joel
03-09-2017, 02:59 PM
He is, at G, backup, because Garcia's likely better (if only because of run blocking) and Leary LIGHT-YEARS better. Watch me eat my words in a years time, but:

This is easily Elways best offensive lineman signing EVER. Not a cheap broken down out of shape former All Pro no one (else) wants, signed2 weeks before Opening Day (i.e. like Evan Mathis.) Not a cheap has-been playing (badly) on a "4-year club option" we were NEVER going to take. A good pass protector AND run blocker we're paying what he's worth. One guy can't fill 4-5 holes (that's the problem with the line) but our line just improved a LOT.

If Paradis' 100% after his DOUBLE-scoping (admittedly a big "if") and Garcia stops chasing his tail on each and every misdirection rush he faces, our interior line should be SOLID; as long as defenses send their best pass rushers up the gut instead of off the edge we have nothing to fear. :tongue: In all seriousness though, we should face far more 3rd and 3s and fewer 3rd and 12s now, which will help Siemian/Lynch in itself, and CJ might even play a full season.

dogfish
03-09-2017, 03:05 PM
He should help Paradis as well by not falling all over himself the second there's any bull rush, which will be a new feeling for Paradis. Watching the pocket collapse like cheap papier mache under even the briefest of pressures can't have been fun.

he's also an experienced pro who can actually identify a stunt, rather than waving at the guy on his way past. . .

Joel
03-09-2017, 03:15 PM
he's also an experienced pro who can actually identify a stunt, rather than waving at the guy on his way past. . .
Maybe he can teach that to Paradis, but I fear Garcia's a lost cause: Just point him straight ahead at a DT and say, "can that guy," because that's all he does well. That's actually the best argument for this:

Sign DJ Fluker to play RG and let Garcia backup Paradis.
I mean, neither Garcia NOR Paradis can handle ANY kind of stunt, but at least Garcia's strong enough to knock over someone. Also, out of idle curiosity:

Spotrac had Joeckel rated as one of the top FA Gs, too, but I've heard next to nothing about anyone talking to him: Might we actually consider signing him and moving him back to OT? He wasn't great there (hence he's a G now) but couldn't be as bad as Stephenson, Sambrailo or Schofield—and they're ALL WE'VE GOT NOW. :eek:

VonDoom
03-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Official:

https://twitter.com/Broncos/status/839953854850609153

VonDoom
03-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Cameron Wolfe‏Verified account @CameronWolfe 31s32 seconds ago

John Elway on Ronald Leary: “Ronald is a big, physical and athletic guard who plays with an attitude."

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 10s10 seconds ago

.@johnelway on Leary: "Upgrading the offensive line was a priority for us this offseason, and we’re excited to add Ronald to our team.”

Cameron Wolfe‏Verified account @CameronWolfe 34s35 seconds ago

Vance Joseph on Leary signing: "He played on one of the best offensive lines in football in Dallas and adds toughness to our line.”

weazel
03-09-2017, 05:26 PM
was a rotational guy in Dallas, no?

G_Money
03-09-2017, 05:40 PM
was a rotational guy in Dallas, no?

Got injured and was replaced by a rookie that should have been a first rounder if not for the drugs/falling through a 2nd-story glass door thing. Then the young player got injured and Leary played better than Collins had been. It was a weird situation.

Cugel
03-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Yes, but it was injury related and the rookie was pretty damn good. He had a groin injury and that allowed La'el Collins to step in. But then Collins went down this year and Leary was pretty damn good.

La'el Collins just fell into their laps because of off-field issues. Since he is an insane stud, that made Leary expendable.

atwater27
03-09-2017, 09:31 PM

An average guard is a huge upgrade for our offensive line.

goodforubud
03-09-2017, 11:48 PM
An average guard is a huge upgrade for our offensive line.

That average guard is already on the roster - Stephenson.

BeefStew25
03-10-2017, 01:33 AM
Dude had dirt knuckles. And a motor.

sneakers
03-10-2017, 05:53 AM
Pretty good I guess

Ziggy
03-10-2017, 08:27 AM
He's big, he didn't allow a sack last season, and he always plays with a chip on his shoulder. He was the enforcer of the Cowboys line. He brings the right size, attitude, and he's a very good starting NFL lineman. Last year we had one of those. Now we have two. The line is improved with this signing. There's a ways to go, but this is a good step.

slim
03-10-2017, 09:20 AM
From I can tell, he has a nice bubble.

BeefStew25
03-10-2017, 09:35 AM
His hips aren't tight. That's a good thing.

Freyaka
03-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Depth...even if it's poor depth, he's here for depth for now.

Simple Jaded
03-10-2017, 12:01 PM
His hips aren't tight. That's a good thing.

Hard to knuckles in the grass if hips are tight.

VonDoom
03-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Barnwell's take on the Leary signing:

Leary lost his job in Dallas in 2015 through no fault of his own, when he went down early in the season with a groin injury and the Cowboys handed his spot to La'el Collins. Leary reversed the feat in 2016, taking over for Collins after the second-year player went down with a turf toe injury in September. Leary had played well as a starter in 2014 and kept it up last year, but the Cowboys were always going to go with the far cheaper Collins and allow Leary to leave.

The Broncos are likely happy they signed Leary early in the free-agent period. Given that Kevin Zeitler reset the guard market shortly thereafter at five years and $60 million with $31.5 million guaranteed, the Broncos got a good deal when they gave Leary $20 million guaranteed as part of a four-year, $35 million deal. They naturally have to be concerned that Leary's play will dip now that he's playing along a middling offensive line instead of between Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick, but given how awful the Broncos looked up front last year, it's a risk they have to take.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx2017FAgrades/bill-barnwell-grades-big-2017-free-agent-deals-nfl

Nomad
03-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Hopefully he continues to play great here, considering our QBs aren't as elusive as Prescott was. If he doesn't allow a sack here, that'll be impressive.

BigDaddyBronco
03-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Depth...even if it's poor depth, he's here for depth for now.

If I see him or Sambralio starting at RT this year, I'm going to lose my shit. Maybe they were hurt last year. :fart:

Poet
03-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Menelik Watson is the answer.

BigDaddyBronco
03-10-2017, 02:43 PM

Yes he is. Then we draft a LT.

Freyaka
03-10-2017, 03:07 PM
If I see him or Sambralio starting at RT this year, I'm going to lose my shit. Maybe they were hurt last year. :fart:

Players do grow and improve. Ron Leary was easily the weakest link on the Cowboys line. He was crap at first but he developed into a really good lineman. It's unlikely, but not impossible that those two will improve.

Poet
03-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Players do grow and improve. Ron Leary was easily the weakest link on the Cowboys line. He was crap at first but he developed into a really good lineman. It's unlikely, but not impossible that those two will improve.

Coaching matters, too. We can agree that the coaching last year for the o-line wasn't the hottest.

And we can also be honest and recognize that it's impossible to field a team with no weaknesses. A LT is important...but it's not a team.

VonDoom
03-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Leary introductory presser:

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 1m1 minute ago

Elway, on Ronald Leary: "We're absolutely thrilled ... he's the type of player we're looking for," praises tough attitude/demeanor.

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 3m3 minutes ago

Ron Leary: "It just kind of came down to where I felt comfortable. ... (Denver) just feels like a great place to be. I'm happy to be here."

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 2m2 minutes ago

Leary, on whether he'll be used at LG or RG: "I'm open to playing left or right." Said he talked w/ Garcia & Paradis today.

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 2m2 minutes ago

Ron Leary asked if he'll actively recruit Tony Romo: "Nah, I'm definitely not a recruiter." ... Said he enjoyed playing with Romo though.

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 2m2 minutes ago

Leary, on how he handled being benched in DAL: "I didn't want to be one of those guys where, when your number was called, you weren't ready"

Cameron Wolfe‏Verified account @CameronWolfe 2m2 minutes ago

Leary: "I take more enjoyment blocking for the run. Run blocking is all about attitude."

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 55s55 seconds ago

Leary: Being physical up front "is going to be a big thing for us."

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 29s30 seconds ago

Ron Leary: "This is a championship organization. That's the goal every year. ... I'm just glad I could be a part of it."

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 28s29 seconds ago

Leary: "I couldn't ask for a better situation -- great team, great teammates, great organization."

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 23s23 seconds ago

Leary said the Cowboys made an attempt to keep him, but "at the end of the day, I felt Denver was the right spot."

VonDoom
03-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Contract details for Leary - like most contracts, it's basically a two year deal and then we'll see:

http://in-thinair.com/2017/03/10/ronald-leary-contract-details/

Rick
03-10-2017, 04:52 PM
That is the nice thing about Elway.

Sure, some of these other guys would be fantastic to sign, but Elway's mantra is get a guy in in a way that won't kill us down the road.

Cugel
03-10-2017, 07:40 PM

If he's the answer, what's the question? How much money can you get paid while on IR? :laugh:

MOtorboat
03-10-2017, 07:44 PM
If he's the answer, what's the question? How much money can you get paid while on IR? :laugh:

I heard a rumor that Denver isn't going to field a LT. It's a revolutionary new theory.

Poet
03-10-2017, 07:44 PM
The Raiders had one of the best lines in football last year. They wanted their right tackle back. It's a great signing - I'm not going to worry about injuries - that's luck more than anything else.

Cugel
03-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Meanwhile, back on the Death Star, Darth Belichick smirks a little bit:

"TRADE! The Patriots have traded their #32 & 3rd #103 pick to the Saints for wide receiver Brandin Cooks & their 4th #118 pick per sources"

Cooks had 78 catches, 8 TDs, 1178 yards. This is discouraging. The Patriots are quietly getting better on offense. And they're not done yet.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-10-2017, 08:09 PM
I heard a rumor that Denver isn't going to field a LT. It's a revolutionary new theory.

We'll line up two of those new millennium TE's instead!

MOtorboat
03-10-2017, 08:13 PM
We'll line up two of those new millennium TE's instead!

The A-11 offense, I heard.

dogfish
03-10-2017, 08:16 PM

well, they really have no choice in the matter-- there aren't any left!

dogfish
03-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Meanwhile, back on the Death Star, Darth Belichick smirks a little bit:

"TRADE! The Patriots have traded their #32 & 3rd #103 pick to the Saints for wide receiver Brandin Cooks & their 4th #118 pick per sources"

Cooks had 78 catches, 8 TDs, 1178 yards. This is discouraging. The Patriots are quietly getting better on offense. And they're not done yet.

oh well. . . it's a lot to give up for a vertical threat when you're a horizontal offense, but i guess he can use his speed running after the catch on all those crossing routes and shit. . . i hope he's built to withstand hits. . .

Hawgdriver
03-10-2017, 11:18 PM
oh well. . . it's a lot to give up for a vertical threat when you're a horizontal offense, but i guess he can use his speed running after the catch on all those crossing routes and shit. . . i hope he's built to withstand hits. . .

Right? Brady's downfield accuracy, for all his winning ways, is not a reliable weapon. Pairing him with Cooks is like letting Grams go ham with a Top Fuel dragster.

Simple Jaded
03-10-2017, 11:37 PM
Oh muh fvckin gerd! The P*triots made a trade! I wish we made a trade, that's the only way to go.

Cugel
03-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Oh muh fvckin gerd! The P*triots made a trade! I wish we made a trade, that's the only way to go.

It isn't like the Patriots made a deal for a young Gronkowski here, but it's disheartening to see them making all these moves while the Broncos sit pat with a bunch of holes on the OL & DL that didn't get fixed.

Instead, they lost their starting LT, their starting NT, failed to sign a DE, failed to sign a DT, failed to sign a LT, and signed a RT who's career resume so far reads: "mostly injured." And their returning starting RT is expected by Troy Renk to be released on Monday leaving them with yet another gaping hole (not that I'll mind seeing Donald Stephenson go, but they just don't have a LT at all).

Oh, and they probably lost their only other Hall of Fame player in Demarcus Ware. Plus, Matt Paradis, their only good OL is coming of surgery on both hips and could be not be available until August.

Poet
03-11-2017, 02:17 PM
It isn't like the Patriots mad ea deal for a young Gronkowski here, but it's disheartening to see them making all these moves while the Broncos sit pat with a bunch of holes on the OL & DL that didn't get fixed.

Instead, they lost their starting LT, their starting NT, failed to sign a DE, failed to sign a DT, failed to sign a LT, and signed a RT who's career resume so far reads: "mostly injured."

They lost their starting LT who is subpar, overpaid, and is going to be a drain on a division rival for years to come. They lost their DT who hasn't been good when he wasn't surrounded by great players.

They signed a RT who has been good while healthy, and who has played left tackle. They also signed a very good guard.

There are other players out there who can come and start for us. If the worst thing that happens is that we end up drafting a LT who isn't any good, well at least he'll be cheaper than Okung, who was in the bottom 70th percentile of production. OMFG THE BRONCOS MIGHT HAVE A WEAKNESS!

What trade is out there that you want for Denver? Don't talk hypothetical, give me a specific answer.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-11-2017, 02:43 PM
They lost their starting LT who is subpar, overpaid, and is going to be a drain on a division rival for years to come. They lost their DT who hasn't been good when he wasn't surrounded by great players.

They signed a RT who has been good while healthy, and who has played left tackle. They also signed a very good guard.

There are other players out there who can come and start for us. If the worst thing that happens is that we end up drafting a LT who isn't any good, well at least he'll be cheaper than Okung, who was in the bottom 70th percentile of production. OMFG THE BRONCOS MIGHT HAVE A WEAKNESS!

What trade is out there that you want for Denver? Don't talk hypothetical, give me a specific answer.

We actually have 3 quality starters on the offensive line now.

Poet
03-11-2017, 02:47 PM
We actually have 3 quality starters on the offensive line now.

I know, right. But we weren't able to talk Campbell into taking like 5 million less a year because of state taxes...so we suck.

Simple Jaded
03-11-2017, 11:51 PM

The Rams are down on Greg Robinson, I would package a Garcia to account for Robinson and Tood Davis/Jared Crick to appeal to the new Wade Phillips system. Two starters and a role player for a 1st rnd bust LT that's moving to G.

Then, I call and work out a trade for Romo but only if the trade involved DE David Irving.

THEN, I'd trade Siemian to Jets for Sheldon Richardson.

THEEEEEEEN, I'd trade whatever it takes to get a TE and two OL in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft. Preferably Njoku, Dorian Johnson and Dion Dawkins.

Jsteve01
03-12-2017, 01:16 AM
this draft is soo deep at TE that I'm cool with seeing who slides to the third. We have a ton of assets there. I want McCaffery in the 1st and not just because I'm being a homer. Dude can add so much to this offense.

Cugel
03-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Do you suppose I'm talking with NFL GMs or that they are talking publicly about their plans? :laugh:

Elway can call around to teams that have needs on defense and have an extra OT. See if anybody would be made available. If he's willing to part with a draft pick or two and perhaps a backup on defense who could be a starter on some other team like Shaqil Barrett, he could shake something loose.

Maybe he can't find a trade, but I'd be surprised if he didn't at least try hard.

Cugel
03-12-2017, 01:21 PM
this draft is soo deep at TE that I'm cool with seeing who slides to the third. We have a ton of assets there. I want McCaffery in the 1st and not just because I'm being a homer. Dude can add so much to this offense.

I agree they need to find preferably two weapons in this draft: RB and TE and it doesn't matter much which order they get them, except there's no other Christian McCaffrey in this draft, while there are a lot of good TEs, DEs, DTs. There are other RBs though. And slot WRs. So, they don't need to draft McCaffrey. They just need to get the job done in some way.

Cugel
03-12-2017, 01:24 PM
The Rams are down on Greg Robinson, I would package a Garcia to account for Robinson and Tood Davis/Jared Crick to appeal to the new Wade Phillips system. Two starters and a role player for a 1st rnd bust LT that's moving to G.

Then, I call and work out a trade for Romo but only if the trade involved DE David Irving.

THEN, I'd trade Siemian to Jets for Sheldon Richardson.

THEEEEEEEN, I'd trade whatever it takes to get a TE and two OL in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft. Preferably Njoku, Dorian Johnson and Dion Dawkins.

Sounds like the Cowboys want to start David Irving:

The Dallas Cowboys have tendered defensive end/defensive tackle David Irving an exclusive rights contract for 2017 for $615,000.

Irving would have been a free agent if the Cowboys hadn’t tendered him a contract. Because they did, he has been locked up for next year as the team held exclusive negotiating rights.

It’s a small signing, but it’s an important for the Cowboys as Irving ended the season as the team’s most impactful defensive lineman.

“I think his ceiling is high,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “A lot is going to depend on him, how he wants to continue to work at it, which I think he does, continue to improve and get better.”

Irving finished the season with four sacks, five tackles for loss, 26 quarterback hurries, five pass deflections and four forced fumbles.

Irving started at left end in the NFC divisional playoff loss to the Green Bay Packers and not Tyrone Crawford, who is scheduled to make $7.25 million next season.

Simple Jaded
03-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Told y'all David Irving was da shit.

Freyaka
03-13-2017, 09:17 AM
Coaching matters, too. We can agree that the coaching last year for the o-line wasn't the hottest.

Oh jeeze, now you've done it...Joel's going to type us a book.

http://blog.lib.uiowa.edu/preservation/files/2011/01/IMG_8338.jpg

Rick
03-13-2017, 09:28 AM
He should make the book available for download, but offer up the cliff notes.

Freyaka
03-13-2017, 09:44 AM
He should make the book available for download, but offer up the cliff notes.

The cliff notes of a Joel post are still 20 pages...

Joel
03-13-2017, 10:12 AM
*shrugs* We've been down this road. I look forward to McCoy and Davidson coaching up our line to the stellar level they achieved in SD—but don't expect much improvement from coaching itself. The big improvements are that Leary's a stud starting G and Watson's a stud starting OT (when healthy.) So all Davidson, McCoy and Joseph need do (our new OC and HC are no less responsible for our line than the old ones were) is produce a single decent LT.

Should be no problem: I'm reliably informed the ONLY reason the 9th OT drafted in 2015 and 11th drafted in 2014 aren't ALREADY Pro Bowlers is because last years coaches sucked. Now that they're gone, those guys have a straight shot to the HoF—right...?

Oh, and before anyone says it's unfair to hold Joseph accountable for the offensive line's performance since he's never coached an offensive line: Neither has his predecessor, but that didn't let HIM off the hook. ;)

Poet
03-13-2017, 02:16 PM
Silly Joel - if Joseph doesn't get someone to coach up the line -the same failing as Kubiak- then please believe we'll be coming for his head.

Rick
03-13-2017, 02:22 PM
*shrugs* We've been down this road. I look forward to McCoy and Davidson coaching up our line to the stellar level they achieved in SD—but don't expect much improvement from coaching itself. The big improvements are that Leary's a stud starting G and Watson's a stud starting OT (when healthy.) So all Davidson, McCoy and Joseph need do (our new OC and HC are no less responsible for our line than the old ones were) is produce a single decent LT.

Should be no problem: I'm reliably informed the ONLY reason the 9th OT drafted in 2015 and 11th drafted in 2014 aren't ALREADY Pro Bowlers is because last years coaches sucked. Now that they're gone, those guys have a straight shot to the HoF—right...?

Oh, and before anyone says it's unfair to hold Joseph accountable for the offensive line's performance since he's never coached an offensive line: Neither has his predecessor, but that didn't let HIM off the hook. ;)

It wasn't Kubiaks specific job to coach up the lineman, but it certainly was his job to mange the guys that do, and if his guys are failing at their jobs...replace them with some one who can.

If you fail to get the right guys in place to coach them up, then the blame has to fall on you because you let inadequacy stand.

Joel
03-14-2017, 05:07 AM
It wasn't Kubiaks specific job to coach up the lineman, but it certainly was his job to mange the guys that do, and if his guys are failing at their jobs...replace them with some one who can.

If you fail to get the right guys in place to coach them up, then the blame has to fall on you because you let inadequacy stand.
The problem with that logic is that Elway kept Barone in place under no less than THREE different HCs. It's hard to blame that on the last of those three.

NightTerror218
03-14-2017, 10:32 AM
The problem with that logic is that Elway kept Barone in place under no less than THREE different HCs. It's hard to blame that on the last of those three.

I believe only 2 HC have been under elway with barone. The 3rd HC did not retain.

Joel
03-14-2017, 10:37 AM
I believe only 2 HC have been under elway with barone. The 3rd HC did not retain.
If we don't count McDumbass hiring Barone, but firing McDumbass was part of bringing in Elway. Presumably he WANTED to fire Barone, but Fox overruled him? ;)

Rick
03-14-2017, 11:06 AM
Pretty sure the HC decides who to keep on his staff.

The last 3 HC's all wanted him, why are you blaming Elway on that?

Elway hires the HC, and might suggest the HC make a change if something isn't getting done, but the HC determines assistants.

Freyaka
03-14-2017, 11:28 AM

Elway hires the HC, and might suggest the HC make a change if something isn't getting done, but the HC determines assistants.

Because, Elway is the devil and Kubiak can do no wrong. Haven't you been keeping up with the church of Joel and their doctrine lately?

Cugel
03-31-2017, 06:25 PM

One theory is that the Broncos haven't given up on Ty Sambrailo developing into their starting LT. He has been hurt and unable to work out in the weight room, so he's severely under-stength for an NFL LT. He's now healthy, and could possibly wind up the starting LT.

Maybe.

Possibly. Personally, I'm not holding out hope there. But, faced with Sambrailo, a rookie or Donald Stephenson at LT, Sambrailo suddenly looks a lot more appealing. I don't know what to make of this.

Elway told Mike Klis that they "will get it solved" - finding a starting LT. Possibly in the draft although there are very few LT prospects in this draft and none of them are likely to start in 2017.

No starting LT FAs are left, so the cupboard is bare there. (Except King Dunlap who got released by the Chargers. Only McCoy knows this guy better than anybody, yet the Broncos haven't made a move to get him - which they could have done). So, probably not Dunlap.

Elway may be hoping that some team will cut an aging over-priced veteran in training camp, and the Broncos could bring him in as a 1 year rental - basically the way they did with Evan Mathis in 2015. I don't know about this either.

Possibly a trade, but what would you have to give up to get a starting LT? Probably a TON. Teams would know you were desperate and would try and bilk you in the trade. Maybe Elway has his eye on some team they could cut a deal with, but I'm sceptical anything comes of this trade talk. And NO, Joe Thomas is NOT being traded by Cleveland. Not unless some team is just willing to shower Cleveland with draft picks - something like the Hershel Walker trade.

And nobody is doing that. They rejected a first round pick plus a 3rd rounder in 2015 and the price is only going up due to the lack of premier LTs available. He's by far their best player, and is a Hall of Famer, which they have sorely lacked since the 1960s. The fans love him for his loyalty to Cleveland. They're not trading him.

So, I can't even imagine how this gets solved, but we'll see what Elway has in mind.

Cugel
03-31-2017, 06:31 PM

The reporting from Broncos beat reporters this off-season is that Elway wanted to fire all the assistant coaches who ultimately did get fired, but Kubiak resisted this. He preferred to retire rather than argue this out with Elway. Certainly, Elway's (deserved) determination to get rid of all the dead wood on this offensive coaching staff played some role in Kubiak's retirement. There are even some rumours that Kubiak might even consider coming back to coach in the NFL in the future. Don't know if that's true, (I doubt it) but if true, it would prove that health issues weren't the only reasons for his retirement.

All this stuff is speculation, but it all makes sense and probably some of it is true. The team didn't make the playoffs the year after winning the SB. Elway was not happy about that, (why would he be?) and certainly wanted some changes made.

dogfish
03-31-2017, 06:53 PM
Should be no problem: I'm reliably informed the ONLY reason the 9th OT drafted in 2015 and 11th drafted in 2014 aren't ALREADY Pro Bowlers is because last years coaches sucked. Now that they're gone, those guys have a straight shot to the HoF[COLOR=#FFFFFF]—right...?

joel, your sarcasm goes over about as well as a fart in church. . .

NightTerror218
04-01-2017, 04:23 PM
The reporting from Broncos beat reporters this off-season is that Elway wanted to fire all the assistant coaches who ultimately did get fired, but Kubiak resisted this. He preferred to retire rather than argue this out with Elway. Certainly, Elway's (deserved) determination to get rid of all the dead wood on this offensive coaching staff played some role in Kubiak's retirement. There are even some rumours that Kubiak might even consider coming back to coach in the NFL in the future. Don't know if that's true, (I doubt it) but if true, it would prove that health issues weren't the only reasons for his retirement.

All this stuff is speculation, but it all makes sense and probably some of it is true. The team didn't make the playoffs the year after winning the SB. Elway was not happy about that, (why would he be?) and certainly wanted some changes made.

Ohhhh the rurmors with no evidence.

Cugel
04-04-2017, 10:45 PM

The evidence is that they fired all the offensive assistant coaches almost immediately after Kubiak left, before they even hired a new head coach, and didn't fire any of the defensive ones. In fact they promoted them. And Gary Kubiak was widely known to be loyal to his assistant coaches and didn't want to fire them. He felt with some justification that as head coach, if anybody was to blame it should be him. But, Elway didn't want to fire Kubiak.

That left Kubiak in a predicament. He'd either have to fire his assistants or leave. He chose to leave. Then they fired everybody on the offensive side thus proving the point.

Poet
04-04-2017, 10:47 PM

And if a trade does happen he'll claim that this clearly validates the source. You figured out the game. You're a wizard!