PDA

View Full Version : Presuming Okung does not sign, is a left taco the priority?

Broncoknight30
03-03-2017, 09:15 AM
I have read on enough sites that Okung is gone, although I guess there is still a chance he resigns.

So, if he does not, the cupboard will be really bare with OL. If I were Romo, I would not be coming here. That is for damn sure. Not with a division of pass rushers, the weather he could get in Houston.

Plus, the Texans division is weaaaaak to say the least. No first round QB that the crowd wants to see sitting there.

So, if Okung does not sign, that would mean this team will DESPERATELY need a left TACO and a right TACO.

Not looking good to me.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Left taco is our #1 priority this year.

🌮

Davii
03-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Left taco is our #1 priority this year.

��

I would prefer bookend tacos, left and right. In fact, I'll even take interior tacos, 5 tacos in all. Maybe I should wait until Tuesday when I can get a better deal on all these tacos.

The Glue Factory
03-03-2017, 10:39 AM
We need SPICY tacos! No limp, wilted lettuce that gets beat like a Shumei Taiko drum.

Broncoknight30
03-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Is there a possibility that this line could be worse than last years? That may be impossible, but it sure seems that way as of now. Relying on ROOKIES to play left TACO or right TACO is risky. Both though?

Along with a NEW offense and still an UNPROVEN QB. Siemian is not that good guys. He is serviceable. A solid backup which is a very valuable commodity. He is no starter. It is clear he is not durable for a 16 game season in the NFL.

So, what is everyone hearing? Now that we need to look forward to the distinct possibility that this team may need to rely on two rookie TACOS.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-03-2017, 11:02 AM
They need let's of beef and spice

NightTerror218
03-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Need to get a FA LT and draft a top prospect for RT. And then slide RT over if good enough.

Like Whitwort and Ramczyk at tackles for 2 years. Then move ramczyk to LT.

Buff
03-03-2017, 11:16 AM
You can never have too many quality tacos.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-03-2017, 11:22 AM
You can never have too many quality tacos.

Sage wisdom right here folks. ^^

turftoad
03-03-2017, 11:45 AM
We don't want any soft Tacos.

Spiritguy
03-03-2017, 12:01 PM
I would prefer bookend tacos, left and right. In fact, I'll even take interior tacos, 5 tacos in all. Maybe I should wait until Tuesday when I can get a better deal on all these tacos. Maybe we should get a 10 piece taco box so we have some good backup on hand too.

Mike
03-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Now I am hungry...dammit

Poet
03-03-2017, 12:56 PM
You have to spend a lot of guacamole on a left tackle, though.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-03-2017, 12:57 PM
You have to spend a lot of guacamole on a left tackle, though.

It's got to be the good guacamole

Poet
03-03-2017, 12:58 PM
It's got to be the good guacamole

A good left taco needs some serious cheese.

Hawgdriver
03-03-2017, 01:11 PM
I wish the Broncos would quit going to Taco Bell and just learn their own taco recipes.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-03-2017, 03:16 PM
I wish the Broncos would quit going to Taco Bell and just learn their own taco recipes.

They need to make authentic tacos.

Broncoknight30
03-03-2017, 03:19 PM
They need to make authentic tacos.

Well, I would say either seasoned or fresh. Rookies, are fresh but they are unknown. Seasoned tacos, well they are veterans and they may very well be better than a fresh unseasoned taco at 20.

Meanwhile, I am starting to like what I am seeing out of McCaffrey. I knew he was fast, but I did not realize he that break away speed.

Timmy!
03-03-2017, 03:22 PM
Big fat chicken tacos!!!!

Northman
03-03-2017, 03:33 PM
I prefer the right Taco personally.

Mike
03-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Big fat chicken tacos!!!!

Grab her by the taco

Poet
03-03-2017, 08:21 PM
Don't grab her by the taco - the Russians will just take our tacos.

Simple Jaded
03-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Ok, now I get Hawgs "taco" reference.

Well played, top notch.

BroncoWave
03-05-2017, 01:24 PM
This thread is my favorite thread. It's the best thread.

Poet
03-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Don't grab her by the taco - the Russians will just take our tacos.

This post deserves much more love.

BroncoWave
03-05-2017, 01:27 PM
I don't know what I love more about this thread, the fact that everyone is making taco jokes, or the fact that BK30 doesn't realize that everyone is making fun of him and is still trying to discuss football. :lol:

Simple Jaded
03-05-2017, 01:32 PM
Can you trade for Tacos, is that a thing?

Poet
03-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Can you trade for Tacos, is that a thing?

Stephenson would net us negative twelve tacos.

)=

Valar Morghulis
03-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Stephenson would net us negative twelve tacos. )=

He is an infected taco

Simple Jaded
03-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Stephenson would net us negative twelve tacos.

)=

Can you cut Tacos?

Poet
03-05-2017, 01:35 PM
Can you cut Tacos?

Technically yes, but you have the shell!

Simple Jaded
03-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Technically yes, but you have the shell!

Stephenson is a soft Taco if I've ever seen one.

BroncoWave
03-05-2017, 01:41 PM

Soft tacos are definitely much easier to cut than hard tacos.

Poet
03-05-2017, 01:42 PM

This reminds me of a post a long time ago from another board.

During the dark days of Bengaldom...before John Elway delivered me...

There was a Ravens' fan who was in love with some random shitty corner Baltimore had just picked up. The guy was a speedster corner, but was not a great college player and had no technique. Man...

There was two weeks worth of shit talking from this fan about the corner. He was the next Mel Blount and Rod Woodson combined. Baltimore put him on Chad 'I have not gone insane quite yet' Johnson and he gets burned for a TD. A long one. It was bad. Then they moved the corner to T.J. Houshmanzadadadaedhadaydedededadooo and the corner is getting smoked by a 4.6 WR. Then they put him on Chris Henry...who goes deep on that ass.

That night the gifs were out. The Ravens fan, to his credit, comes back to his thread and says 'this guy sucks, Chad hotsauced his ankles.'

I laughed so ******* hard. It became a phrase on the board for awhile. Stephenson gets his ankles hotsauced a lot. He's a taco, so it makes sense.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2017, 05:53 PM

There were times last year Sampo was a soft chicken taco.

Poet
03-05-2017, 05:56 PM
I need good tacos.

OOoOOoOOoOOoOOoOOOOooOOoOOOOOoOooOOOH YOU KNOW I DOoOoOOOOOoOOOOOOOO!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2017, 05:57 PM
Mice tacos?

OrangeHoof
03-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Not this Taco...

http://artimg.songfacts.com/85b010e5c560121c7bf3a974e7109396-lg.png

Cugel
03-06-2017, 01:10 PM
I have read on enough sites that Okung is gone, although I guess there is still a chance he resigns.

So, if he does not, the cupboard will be really bare with OL. If I were Romo, I would not be coming here. That is for damn sure. Not with a division of pass rushers, the weather he could get in Houston.

Plus, the Texans division is weaaaaak to say the least. No first round QB that the crowd wants to see sitting there.

So, if Okung does not sign, that would mean this team will DESPERATELY need a left TACO and a right TACO.

Not looking good to me.

Now fans are waking up to why I kept going on about how it would be a BAD idea to let Russell Okung go in FA. You're very unlikely to get anybody better, and whoever you get in FA will be expensive, perhaps prohibitively so for what might amount to a mediocre LT who is a short term fix.

Here's the grim lineup of potential LT replacements and OL fixes in general.

First, the draft is horrible at T. There are only a couple of guys given any kind of 1st round grade, and none of them is a sure fire year 1 starter. Probably all are projects. FA is pretty slim pickings as well.

Starting with Russell Okung, the Broncos haven't totally given up on re-signing him, but they want to pay him around $8M instead of $11M a year. Good luck with that! The Giants are reportedly interested in picking up the same contract the Broncos rejected with all his guaranteed $. If that happens, he's gone.

If you need help on the offensive line, this isn’t the best year to find it. (https://www.yahoo.com/news/nfl-free-agency-preview-a-couple-of-guards-lead-a-thin-offensive-line-group-145348939.html)

The draft has remarkably few can’t-miss offensive line prospects. And it’s not a great free-agent class for offensive linemen either, especially if you need a left tackle. There are some solid options, but it will feel like a game of musical chairs, because there aren’t that many and there are more than a few teams that need help.

The top 12 available offensive linemen are sure to get plenty of interest:

1. Green Bay Packers G T.J. Lang

Lang is a Pro Bowl player, and just 29. He’d help just about any team’s guard situation. Hip surgery complicates things a little, but he’s the surest thing among the offensive linemen in free agency.

Top G in FA will reportedly get close to $12M a year, which is elite T money. Pass.

2. Cincinnati Bengals G Kevin Zeitler

Zeitler is another good player and his age (he turned 27 on Wednesday, Lang is two-and-a-half years older) will likely be the difference in him getting the biggest contract among all offensive linemen. He is a former first-round pick and has been a starter in Cincinnati from his rookie year on.

Another G who is out of the Broncos price range. They would like to pick up a RG, but they need to spend the Big $ on a LT and a RT. Pass.

3. Cincinnati Bengals OT Andrew Whitworth

Whitworth is a solid option who has missed just two games since 2008. He will turn 36 next season, but teams wouldn’t look at him as a long-term solution. But as a one- or two-year fix? He’s a fine option.

First of all, he's going to get a lot of money. Second of all, how long will he last? Perhaps on a two year deal for maybe $22M? But, we're not sure he can even last 2 seasons. How may 38 year old LTs are there in the NFL? According to Polumbus, this guy can barely get out of his stance. He proved last year he can still play.

If the Broncos were to draft a replacement LT in the draft, then maybe he makes sense as a stop-gap FA LT. But, a lot of other teams are thinking the same thing. And most of them have more money to spend in FA than the Broncos. Probability he lands here: less than 50%. It could happen, but probably not.

4. New York Jets C Nick Mangold

The Jets moved on from Mangold, mostly due to salary-cap reasons but also because Mangold dealt with ankle injuries last season and he just turned 33. He has been the NFL’s best center over the past decade, and he should be able to help his second team.

The ONE thing the Broncos have on their OL is an elite quality C. Matt Paradis was #1 in the NFL last year according to Football Outsiders, but he's coming off 2 hip surgeries. Will he be the same player? Who knows? But, given the Broncos other needs they're not bringing in a veteran C who expects to start. Pass.

5. Baltimore Ravens OT Ricky Wagner

Wagner is a good right tackle, and he’s sure to be overpaid because teams have money to spend, Wagner is just 27 and there just aren’t many good tackles on the market.

"Overpaid LTs, who are decent, but not great, but will get paid like elite LTs because they managed to hit FA." Put him in that category alongside Russell Okung. The Seahawks could re-sign him, but if not, expect to back up the Brinks Truck to sign this guy. The Broncos should kick the tires and see what it would cost, but I don't expect them to win a bidding war. And he comes from Seattle and is only 27 so he's going to want to get PAID! As in MAX $. I doubt that's Denver.

6. Detroit Lions G Larry Warford

Warford, a third-round pick four years ago, has been a solid starter for the Lions since entering the league. Like a few others on this list, his price tag will be high because he’s young and there aren’t many great options.

Warford would be a significant upgrade for the Broncos, but at what price? Again. They could probably scrape by at G with what they have. The same cannot be said at either T position.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars OT Kelvin Beachum

Beachum spent four seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, then one with the Jaguars. He is a capable starter at left tackle, so there should be interest in him.

Once again we sense the same theme. Guy does OK at LT, but his team doesn't think he deserves elite LT money. They let him hit FA with a view to replacing him with someone already on the team. Some desperate team with a ton of $ steps in and gets themselves an OK LT at rock-star prices.

I expect the Broncos to look to sign him, if the price does not escalate out of their range. But, it just takes one team. Ex: The Jaguars paid $6M a year to sign G Zane Beadles. Was he worth it? NO. But, he did get it. The Texans paid $37M guaranteed to Osweiler. Desperate teams overpay. And there are a lot of them.

8. Detroit Lions OT Riley Reiff

Reiff had an up-and-down first five seasons with the Lions. He was a 2012 first-round pick, spent some time at left tackle, then was moved to right tackle last season. Reiff might want a chance to play left tackle again.

The Lions were enough unhappy with Reiff that they went out and drafted Taylor Decker at LT at
#16 in the 1st round, and moved Reiff to RT. So, he's not exactly elite. He's due around $8 M and possibly the Lions would trade him. But, he's under contract for the next 3 seasons, so unless someone makes them a really GREAT offer, they could just keep him. If they want him, the Broncos would have to make a pretty significant offer of a 3rd round pick or something. They might just do this if they felt he would be a significant upgrade.

But, just based on his history, he's not great or he wouldn't have lost his starting job.

If they could get him for a 6th round pick or something, then I'd say "go ahead" cause you need somebody, and nobody great is just waiting to sign here.

Cugel
03-06-2017, 01:23 PM

That's one guy I'm not sure about. He played like a guy who got a big contract and decided to retire, but just not tell anybody. I don't know if they can get him to play or not. But, they could conceivably bring him back since he's due some guaranteed money. He played so badly he doesn't deserve any.

But, if the Broncos don't find an affordable RG in FA, he could conceivably be back for one more year. I wouldn't like it, but it could happen. They could also go with a combination of Michael Schofield and Connor McGovern. Either could also start at LT if Max Garcia doesn't impress the new coaches (he's very inconsistent which has gotten out QB flattened on more than 1 occasion).

NOTE: Before you start arguing with me, I don't like this guy and want him gone. I could just foresee the team keeping him around for 1 more year.

Joseph and Elway will meet Tuesday to discuss right tackle Donald Stephenson. Stephenson’s 2017 salary is guaranteed on March 13, but the Broncos can add $3 million to their $42 million in cap space if he’s released. Stephenson’s struggles make it unlikely he’ll return as a starter, but he’s still under contract right now.

I think the Broncos can land a better G in FA, so I'm hoping he gets cut this week. Even Michael Schofield would be better and cheaper.

Cugel
03-06-2017, 01:31 PM
As for the Draft, that's not looking great either at LT:

Joseph named Wisconsin’s Ryan Ramczyk and Utah’s Garett Bolles when asked about the top offensive tackles in this draft class (http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/01/vance-joseph-broncos-scouting-reports-nfl-draft/). NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock gave both players first-round grades and listed them as the top offensive tackles in a weak class.

Even if Denver nabs Ramczyk, Bolles or another rookie tackle, it might be futile to ease them into action as a right tackle or off the bench because of the growing difficult transition between college and NFL for tackles.

“Their game is so much different. That’s why they’re not as ready to play when they come out of college,” Elway said. “They need a lot of training. We just have to be ready to do that and coach them up.”

Bolles and Ramczyk are expected to interview with the Broncos this week, although Joseph isn’t optimistic that either will be available when the team drafts at 20. He does like both players, particularly Ramczyk.

“He plays like a NFL guy. He’s got long arms. He’s got great feet. He’s tough and smart,” Joseph said. “He’s definitely a guy most teams are looking at. It’s going to be tough to acquire a guy like that at 20, probably.”

Ramczyk is also coming off hip surgery and will (maybe) be ready starting in July for training camp. Neither guy is a year one starter anyway. Maybe one falls to 20, but let's be real. In last year's draft both guys would be considered 2nd round talent (according to experts like Mayock - I don't know). If that's true, taking him at 20 would be a reach.

But, desperate teams will probably gamble on both in the first round. Perhaps Denver will be that team, if they can't find a long term answer in FA.

Hawgdriver
03-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Cugs, Okung is not the answer. I get the reality of the situation, but I am fine with Elway et. al. not abiding his level of play for that $$. As a matter of principle.

Cugel
03-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Cugs, Okung is not the answer. I get the reality of the situation, but I am fine with Elway et. al. not abiding his level of play for that $$. As a matter of principle.

Principle? Someone has to start at LT this season. "Principle" can't block Tamba Hali, Joey Bosa, or Justin Houston!

Do I think Russell Okung had a good season? Not really. But, he wasn't horrible either. I just don't see a better option out there.

The big mistake fans make is assuming there is some level of "worth" that a team should not exceed. But, worth is based solely on how difficult it will be to replace you. If you're pretty average but nobody better is available, then you should keep your job until someone cheaper or better comes along.

"We refuse to overpay" is the Rockies motto every single season. How's that working out for them? Been in the playoffs recently? Any real chance of it this year? No. :coffee:

BTW: I'm just trying to provide some real info on what FA LTs are out there and what the prospects are that the Broncos sign one of them. Over all, I'd say the odds are good they get somebody. And that somebody will probably be better at Pass-blocking than Okung, and probably worse at run-blocking because Okung is good at that. If nobody offers him a big FA K to play LT he could return at RT for a reasonable salary.

It's not like the Broncos are refusing to re-sign Von Miller or something. This is a pretty average guy we're talking about. He's not worse than average no matter what the fans think (according to NFL experts anyway). He might be overpaid, but compared to what?

ursak
03-06-2017, 03:52 PM
Why not try a trade for a big left taco? like JOE the taco THOMAS ??
Send our second + barrett like they ask a few years ago...even Trevor against J.Thomas???

Valar Morghulis
03-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Why not try a trade for a big left taco? like JOE the taco THOMAS ?? Send our second + barrett like they ask a few years ago...even Trevor against J.Thomas???

Quality username

Cugel
03-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Why not try a trade for a big left taco? like JOE the taco THOMAS ??
Send our second + barrett like they ask a few years ago...even Trevor against J.Thomas???

Frankly, I would LOVE it if Joe Thomas came to Denver. I was all for the deal two years ago when there was all the buzz about it.

But, right now, everybody says there's zero chance the Browns will trade Thomas to Denver. He's their best player for one thing and the fans love him because he wants to stay in Cleveland (go figure). Trading him would say to the fan base "we've sucked for 15 years and don't have a QB and now we're going to suck some more because we're giving up about the only really good player we have."

Their fans would riot, long suffering as they are. What other Hall of Fame player have they ever had in Cleveland since Jim Brown?

Supposedly the new Cleveland management has absolutely no interest in trading Joe Thomas. So, for Denver to get him they'd have to give up multiple first round picks or something, and even then the Browns don't WANT to trade him, so they have NO incentive to be reasonable. And Elway isn't going to throw multiple first round picks or something for a 33 year old T, no matter how good he is.

If I have something you want, and I don't want to give it up, I might part with it, IF you offer me the moon and stars, but I'm certainly NOT going to be "reasonable" and part with it for a low offer. You called me after all. I wasn't the one interested in a trade. Blow me away with your ridiculous offer and maybe I might listen to you. Otherwise don't waste my time.

That is unfortunately the attitude of Browns management. Same thing is true of SF LT Joe Staley.

Now, you or I might reason that the Browns are going to suck regardless and might as well start over with a YOUNG LT via the 20th pick of the draft, plus add a player who will be an instant starter and upgrade to their crappy defense - like Shaqil Barrett. But, according to Vick Lombardi, the NFL expert, there is no hint that the Browns might be interested in trading Thomas, and certainly not for anything reasonable that the Broncos might be expected to pay. So, I don't expect it to happen. Be great if it did though!