PDA

View Full Version : Vance Joseph / John Elway combine pressers

VonDoom
03-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Joseph is speaking now - Elway will talk much later in the day (2:00 local time).

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 6m6 minutes ago

Joseph says Siemian is "on track" to return for OTAs.

Cecil Lammey‏ @CecilLammey 5m5 minutes ago

Vance Joseph says Trevor Siemian shoulder injury does not change plan at QB. #Broncos @1043TheFan

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 6m6 minutes ago

Joseph, on QBs (Siemian/Lynch): "We're fine with those two kids."

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 4m4 minutes ago

Vance Joseph said he's talked to DeMarcus Ware "4 or 5 times." ... "He's obviously a free agent. ... It's a work in progress."

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 3m3 minutes ago

Joseph says from watching film, the offense is better than he initially expected. It's "close," but needs to finish better in red zone.

Joseph, on the OL: "We need some help there."

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 2m2 minutes ago

Joseph reiterates what McCoy and Davidson said 3 weeks ago, that the blocking will incorporate both zone and gap concepts.

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 1m1 minute ago

Joseph: "The problem with Paxton and Trevor, they're so different." Have to find an offense that allows them to "compete equally."

Biggest thing that Joseph wants to see from Paxton Lynch is "consistency."

Lindsay Jones‏Verified account @bylindsayhjones 32s32 seconds ago

Vance Joseph on Paxton Lynch: "Is he ready? I'm not sure. But obviously he's got great skills."

Better run defense isn't just about line upgrades, but using different coverage packages in the secondary, Joseph says.

Mike Tanier ��‏Verified account @MikeTanier 35s35 seconds ago

Vance Joseph said "process " at least 20 times. He is ready for NFL head coaching. #Broncos

Cugel
03-01-2017, 09:37 AM
Wow. That's a serious tonnage of lies for this early in the season. I.e. that's one barge-load of "coach speak." Notice what he did NOT say: "the news reports that Trevor Siemian had a degree 5 separated left shoulder are not accurate. His injury is not as severe as that."

Now if they said THAT, I'd say "OK, Siemian is fine and will be ready to go start of OTAs."

Instead we get this roll-off full of argle-bargle: "On track to return for OTAs." Which means what? That he'll be able to get up in front of the grease board and chart plays? That he can do walk throughs?

Let's just watch and see who gets the starting snaps in OTAs. If Siemian is fully participating in mini-camp then we can dismiss all the medical reports. That means he's taking his full share of first team reps in practice.

The smart money is on "no."

Mark Schlereth explained why: "if the Broncos told the truth and said 'Siemian is recovering from a high-impact tear that you normally only see in car accidents, not on the football field and he won't be fully healthy until the start of August' other teams would conclude that the Broncos are going to have to sign a veteran FA QB just to have another QB on the roster if Siemian can't really go. And they will try and force them to pay a draft pick for Tony Romo or some other Veteran FA QB they might otherwise release.

We are only beginning March. The month of liars in the NFL is normally April, when as Cecil Lammey points out you can't believe anything at all put out by teams, but lots of teams get a head start before free agency starts. The Broncos are one of them.

Cugel
03-01-2017, 09:43 AM
I'll try my hand at translating. This is like deciphering hieroglyphs -- some coach speak has no exact translation in English, so you can come up with your own interpretations:

"Vance Joseph said he's talked to DeMarcus Ware "4 or 5 times." ... "He's obviously a free agent. ... It's a work in progress."

Well, that doesn't answer the question does it? "He's a FA"? Uh, yeah, we kinda knew that. But, are you re-signing him or not? "A work in progress"? Sounds like they would like to re-sign him, but want him to take a pay-cut and don't expect him to accept it. But, it could mean "we like what the guy has done but we're not re-signing him."

You can come up with your own interpretations and you will have a chance to be right. The only way you will go wrong is if you take Coach Speak at face value.

Cugel
03-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Let's try this one: "Joseph: "The problem with Paxton and Trevor, they're so different." Have to find an offense that allows them to "compete equally."

Equally how? If they are different, no system is going to be "neutral" between them and you can't run two systems. They have to find something that will let Trevor compete because they are not at all sure about whether Lynch can even play which is what that comment about "potential" means.

I'd say the translation to that is "I haven't seen anything that shows Lynch can be a top tier QB but he has great skills." "He needs to be more consistent." means "he needs to stop sucking on alternate plays." Well, obviously. So that didn't tell us much either.

slim
03-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Good morning, Cugal.

VonDoom
03-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 32m32 minutes ago

#Broncos Joseph likes tackles Bolles, Ramzcyk.Called Ramzcyk "serious serious prospect" but admitted "free agency first" @DenverChannel

Lindsay Jones‏Verified account @bylindsayhjones 21m21 minutes ago

More Vance Joseph on QB situation: "We're set at the moment. ... Right now we have players we believe in."

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 21m21 minutes ago

Joseph said he's meeting with John Elway on Tuesday and Donald Stephenson will be brought up.

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 19m19 minutes ago

Joseph on Christian McCaffrey: "This kid's a really good football player. You watch this kid and he's pro's pro." Will interview him 2morrow

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 18m18 minutes ago

Joseph on if he thinks his current QBs can lead them to a title: "Right now I do. ... Ask me in the fall."

Cameron Wolfe‏Verified account @CameronWolfe 17m17 minutes ago

VJ said they want a true left tackle. Said Russell Okung was a $$ decision, but may still try to get him back.

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 16m16 minutes ago

Joseph says Mike McCoy has about 60 percent of the offensive scheme put together already.

Lindsay Jones‏Verified account @bylindsayhjones 21m21 minutes ago

Could Broncos add a veteran QB? "No one is available that we can talk about," Joseph said.

Cugel
03-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Hmmmn. Let's try this. Feel free to add your own translations. Just remember to read between the lines:

"More Vance Joseph on QB situation: "We're set at the moment. ... Right now we have players we believe in."

Translation: "We need a veteran QB, at least as a backup and we don't want other teams to try and hold onto veterans they might otherwise release, so we'll say we're set."

Could Broncos add a veteran QB? "No one is available that we can talk about," Joseph said.

Translation: "Tony Romo is still under contract to the Dallas Cowboys and it's against league rules for us to comment on his situation and whether he'd be a good fit here."

Cugel
03-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Joseph said he's meeting with John Elway on Tuesday and Donald Stephenson will be brought up.

Potential Translation: "We're not sure if we're keeping this guy or taking the $2M cap hit it would cost us to release him, so we're going to talk it over."

#Broncos Joseph likes tackles Bolles, Ramzcyk.Called Ramzcyk "serious serious prospect" but admitted "free agency first" @DenverChannel

Hmmn. That's a tough one. They admit that they like Ramzcyk. Now, if that's true they are trying to fool people into thinking they are only saying they like Ramzcyk and that they are not really thinking about drafting a T in the first round.

But, if they really aren't thinking about drafting a T in the first round then talking like this could be designed to fool people into thinking they ARE thinking about drafting a T in the first round so other teams won't target the players they are REALLY hoping to draft.

VonDoom
03-01-2017, 10:23 AM
It seems like you don't like Joseph, which is your prerogative. But all coaches use "coach speak" in these pressers. Watch anyone else who speaks at the combine today. Try to dissect a Belichick press conference. Joseph hasn't cornered the market on non-answer answers.

Cugel
03-01-2017, 10:30 AM
VJ said they want a true left tackle. Said Russell Okung was a $$ decision, but may still try to get him back.

Possible Translation: "We'd like him to take a pay cut, but aren't sure he'd consider that."

"We want a true left tackle" -

Translation: "Russell Okung isn't a true LT or we wouldn't have cut him." Since Russell Okung was a pretty good run blocker, but not as good a pass-blocker, that would indicate they want a better pass-protector, and are hoping to find that guy in FA, rather than the draft. Admitting that costs them little since every NFL team knows there are no day 1 starting LTs in this draft.

Cugel
03-01-2017, 10:33 AM
It seems like you don't like Joseph, which is your prerogative. But all coaches use "coach speak" in these pressers. Watch anyone else who speaks at the combine today. Try to dissect a Belichick press conference. Joseph hasn't cornered the market on non-answer answers.

What makes you think I "don't like Joesph" or that I expect honesty from NFL press conferences? I don't. Like most people I find it amusing. That's how NFL coaches talk. Virtually all of them. Why would I criticize it? It's like complaining that the "sun is too hot." Well, the sun is the sun and that's not going to change. Get a hat!

Kubiak was actually a rare exception. He often said what he meant which confused a lot of people who were trying to figure out what he really meant.

Like virtually all NFL coaches, when Joseph speaks you have to read between the lines if you want to figure out what he's actually saying, because he's trying to answer the question without giving anything away. Of course!

VonDoom
03-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Cameron Wolfe‏Verified account @CameronWolfe 17m17 minutes ago

Vance Joseph said Todd Davis is a physical, downhill mike LB who fits VJ's ideal mold. Davis is a restricted FA who #Broncos want back.

Cameron Wolfe‏Verified account @CameronWolfe 16m16 minutes ago

Expect #Broncos to tender Davis at the very least. The question is at what value. 2nd round or right of 1st refusal, ~ 1M in difference.

Timmy!
03-01-2017, 12:04 PM
Moar Cugel posts!!!!

chazoe60
03-01-2017, 12:47 PM
Can we change the title of this thread to Cugel's brain vomit?

slim
03-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Can we change the title of this thread to Cugel's brain vomit?

Translation: "I want to bang Cugel"

LawDog
03-01-2017, 01:07 PM
I have started reading Cugel's posts using Vizzini's voice in my head.

NightTerror218
03-01-2017, 01:15 PM
So far inlike the names of prospects he is looking at. Ramczyk and McCaffery.

Cugal its a damn presser. You have no idea what they question was for their responses.

Hawgdriver
03-01-2017, 01:32 PM
So far inlike the names of prospects he is looking at. Ramczyk and McCaffery.

Cugal its a damn presser. You have no idea what they question was for their responses.

Hard to tell from here--were those names introduced by reporters, or by VJ?

dogfish
03-01-2017, 01:55 PM
I have started reading Cugel's posts using Vizzini's voice in my head.

inconceivably brilliant!! this is some of your finest work here. . . :lol::lol:

NightTrainLayne
03-01-2017, 02:06 PM
I'll try my hand at translating. This is like deciphering hieroglyphs -- some coach speak has no exact translation in English, so you can come up with your own interpretations:

"Vance Joseph said he's talked to DeMarcus Ware "4 or 5 times." ... "He's obviously a free agent. ... It's a work in progress."

Well, that doesn't answer the question does it? "He's a FA"? Uh, yeah, we kinda knew that. But, are you re-signing him or not? "A work in progress"? Sounds like they would like to re-sign him, but want him to take a pay-cut and don't expect him to accept it. But, it could mean "we like what the guy has done but we're not re-signing him."

You can come up with your own interpretations and you will have a chance to be right. The only way you will go wrong is if you take Coach Speak at face value.

Good grief. What do you expect him to say?

NightTrainLayne
03-01-2017, 02:19 PM
inconceivably brilliant!! this is some of your finest work here. . . :lol::lol:

Did you know that once Timmy! killed a deer?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Did you know that once Timmy! killed a deer?

Surely it was with a motorized vehicle.

Davii
03-01-2017, 04:07 PM

Tire iron.

PatriotsGuy
03-01-2017, 04:10 PM
Tire iron.

Mercy kill

VonDoom
03-01-2017, 04:18 PM

John Elway and Jason Garrett were standing together, and the smartphone cameras were clicking like crazy.

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 58s58 seconds ago

Elway: There is not a "ready-made," "sure-fire" QB prospect in this draft.

Lindsay Jones‏Verified account @bylindsayhjones 44s44 seconds ago

John Elway on prospect of adding a veteran QB: "We're open to anything."

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 52s53 seconds ago

Elway: "We've got two young (QBs) that we're happy with."

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 19s19 seconds ago

Elway on his own contract situation: "It's going fine. It's moving ahead. I don't anticipate any problems."

Andrew Mason‏Verified account @MaseDenver 44s44 seconds ago

Elway: "High expectations" for @cjandersonb22 coming back, he expects Anderson to have a good year.

Cameron Wolfe‏Verified account @CameronWolfe 24s24 seconds ago

Elway said he hasn't necessarily moved on from Russell Okung. He just declined the option at that number. Will still talk to Okung.

Timmy!
03-01-2017, 04:19 PM

Actually no.

I'm surprised Dave doesn't hate me for that....he probably has never seen the thread.

VonDoom
03-01-2017, 04:19 PM

Elway: D-line "is a priority."

Cameron Wolfe‏Verified account @CameronWolfe 59s60 seconds ago

Elway said he hasn't talked to DeMarcus Ware yet. Will do that when they get back to Denver.

Elway, on Sylvester Williams: "We have interest in getting Sylvester back ... but it sounds like he wants to hit the market."

Elway: "I don't want to back up on defense ... what we've got to do is get better on the offensive side."

Cecil Lammey‏ @CecilLammey 2m2 minutes ago

Elway "I don't like to go into the draft with big needs. It makes you reach." #Broncos #NFLCombine @1043TheFan

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2017, 04:25 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — Another McCaffrey is high on the Broncos’ list.

Christian McCaffrey, the Stanford running back and son of former Broncos receiver Ed McCaffrey, is at the NFL scouting combine this week and will be interviewed by the Broncos on Thursday night, coach Vance Joseph said.

“This kid is a really good football player,” Joseph said Wednesday. “If you watch the tape, he’s a pro’s pro. I’m excited to watch him this weekend and interview him.”

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/01/christian-mccaffrey-interview-with-broncos-vance-joseph-praises-todd-davis/

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 5m

#Broncos Elway said feels more comfortable addressing needs through free agency. Doesn't want to have obvious needs going into draft

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 13m

#Broncos Elway said team has interest in keeping Ware and Sly Williams.Has talked to Sly's agent but he wants to test market @DenverChannel

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 14m

#Broncos Elway said team would still consider re-signing Okung. Just didn't want him at that option @DenverChannel

VonDoom
03-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Lindsay Jones‏Verified account @bylindsayhjones 8m8 minutes ago

Elway on possibility of adding a veteran QB: "Once they become available we're going to look at all the options."

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 5m5 minutes ago

John Elway said his feelings on players missing bowl games changed. Used to have a "salty old guy" view. Now understands why they do it.

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 4m4 minutes ago

Elway frustrations with OL: "Yeah I would have hoped that we would have been a little more solid. ... That's an area of concern for us."

Cameron Wolfe‏Verified account @CameronWolfe 1m1 minute ago

John Elway said it's a concern on how bringing a veteran QB would affect or possibly impede the growth of Lynch/Siemian.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 27m

#Broncos Elway said a contract extension for @BossWard43 is something team could look at.. Team had success with extensions for core players

Northman
03-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 27m

#Broncos Elway said a contract extension for @BossWard43 is something team could look at.. Team had success with extensions for core players

Im down with keeping TJ. Love that dude.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Since this is coming from the combine, thought I would post it here.

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NFL hopes to relax anti-celebration rules that have vexed players and fans in recent years, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed Wednesday.

League officials began discussing the issue during the 2016 season, amid heavy criticism for punishment of a series of relatively minor infractions such as pretending to shoot a basketball jump shot after a touchdown.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said at Super Bowl LI that he wanted to find a better way to balance sportsmanship and "trying to allow players the ability to express themselves in an exuberant way." Competition committee members took up the discussion this week at the NFL scouting combine.

rest - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18796464/nfl-hopes-relax-anti-celebration-rules

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2017, 06:31 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — There are few jobs like the NFL, where being unemployed means a person is in great position to cash out.

The NFL set its 2017 salary cap at $167 million per team on Wednesday. That’s good news for the Broncos, the other 31 teams and the players. For the fourth consecutive season, the NFL salary cap increased by at least $10 million from the previous season ($12 million from 2016 to 2017).

The Broncos’ individual salary cap is $174,243,248, per the NFLPA, with an extra $7,243,248 carried over from unused 2016 cap space. Denver currently has more than $40 million in cap space. Overthecap.com currently has the Broncos at a shade over $42 million in cap space, which would place the Broncos 10th in the NFL.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/01/nfl-salary-cap-2017/

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2017, 09:08 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- The Broncos obviously have two quarterbacks on their roster: returning starter Trevor Siemian and 2016 first-round pick Paxton Lynch, who are expected to be in an "open competition" this summer.

There could be more, but that is to be determined by how the market changes in the next few days and weeks -- and whether the situation is right for the team.

"I'll say this: We're going to look at all the options," Executive Vice President/General Manager John Elway said. "Once they become available, we're going to look at all the options if it's best for the Denver Broncos and it's best for this team, because it's not only about winning next year, it's also what it does in the future, too.

"All of those things come into discussion. Once we get to that point where we know where we are, we'll kick the tires on everything and do our homework on everything and then make the best decision for what's right for the Broncos."

If the Broncos add a veteran quarterback, that doesn't mean that Siemian and Lynch would both not return -- although there would likely be less repetitions for at least one of them, if not both.

"I'm not going to say that's not a possibility," Elway said. "But at this point in time, everything is a possibility."

There is also the message that adding a veteran would send, a scenario of which Elway is mindful.

"Well, that's a concern. Does it stunt their growth? Where does it put those guys? How do they handle it?" Elway said.

"All those types of questions come in the discussion if we were to go down that road, is how does it affect those young guys and how does it affect their reps, and are they still going to continue to get better, or [will it] impede their growth if we were to do that?

"Those are all things that go into consideration, to think about whether we bring in a veteran guy."

rest - plus videos - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/John-Elway-not-closing-the-door-on-any-quarterback-possibilities/7d6c5f58-33f9-4211-b9d1-8da884e74925

dogfish
03-01-2017, 09:38 PM
Im down with keeping TJ. Love that dude.

TJ and talib are the guys who will make me not sweat it if we don't end up re-signing Dware. . .

BroncoWave
03-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Since this is coming from the combine, thought I would post it here.

rest - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18796464/nfl-hopes-relax-anti-celebration-rules

Please God let this happen. I understood them trying to put a nix on things like players using props on the field or taunting other players to their face, but they went WAY too far. Let the guys have fun with their damn teammates after they score.

Davii
03-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Please God let this happen. I understood them trying to put a nix on things like players using props on the field or taunting other players to their face, but they went WAY too far. Let the guys have fun with their damn teammates after they score.

Agreed. Let them celebrate, but keep the taunting penalties. In fact, make them stricter, enforcing it on kickoff is ridiculous, if you're going to do that tack on the yards after the runback or something, or enforce it on the PAT.

slim
03-01-2017, 10:41 PM
They will half ass it like they did with the OT rules.

Cugel
03-06-2017, 06:29 PM
My theory about that is "If you don't want opposing players dancing on your star at center field, then don't let them score a TD." You gave up the TD. If you don't like it, how about you play some defense and stop somebody. Or get more determined to sack their QB on the next possession. Nobody really dances at mid-field after they fail to score a TD and kick a FG.

Don't get mad, get even!