PDA

View Full Version : Will Trevor Be Healthy For Training Camp?

Cugel
02-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Latest word from Tyler Polumbus on 104.3 The FAn (http://1043thefan.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10011359&sid=1152&n=Polumbus%20and%20Cecil) (who played with most of the current Broncos and gets the latest word) is that Trevor Siemian has a 5th degree separation in his left (non throwing) shoulder, and according to medical reports, this is a 4 to 6 month recovery time after his surgery.

Normally a 5th degree separation is something doctors see with auto accident victims where the shoulder is crushed. It's a violent injury, much worse than a normal football injury -- which tend to be 1st to 3rd degree separation. Normally, a first or second degree separation doesn't require surgery.

The worst injuries, seen normally in industrial accident victims and such is a 6th degree separation. So, Trevor's injury is more severe than we knew.

It's likely now that Paxton Lynch will have to take all the first team snaps in OTS & Mini-camp starting in April (the Broncos get an extra week because the NFL gives them that due to breaking in a new coach). It's an open question how healthy Trevor will be to start training camp in July, but he should be healthy by the beginning of the next season.

This gives Paxton Lynch an opening. If he's getting the majority of 1st team snaps beginning training camp he could be the day 1 starter. Unless he just proves he's a bust of course, in which case the Broncos might very well add a veteran QB who could start in case Trevor is too hurt.

They will need at least another veteran arm for training camp. Now that need to have a reliable veteran QB grows more acute.

But, this is the opportunity Paxton has been waiting for. Trevor was always ahead of him because of being in the league an extra year. But, for now Paxton is scheduled to get all the first team reps and has an opportunity to "Wally Pip" Trevor. (Lou Gherig got his chance and never gave the Yankees job back to Wally Pip).

Northman
02-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Bottom line is its a great opportunity for Paxton to prove how much he has/hasnt improved and will make it harder for Trevor to hold onto his job because of missing valuable time. If Trevor can come back and still win the job than i think the writing would be on the wall for Lynch at that point.

Cugel
02-26-2017, 02:28 PM
The writing would be on the wall, but that wouldn't mean the Broncos would get rid of Paxton. He's earning peanuts on a 5 year rookie deal.

Even if Trevor starts, there's no guarantee he won't get hurt again. Last year he was hurt 3 separate times including having an extremely severe left shoulder injury he apparently played through and the outside world didn't know was as bad as it is.

He was hurt in college and in his first year of the NFL. He's a small guy who is injury prone. Even if he starts, there's going to be opportunity for Paxton to start this season when Trevor gets hurt again. (and he probably will).

From there on, it's up to Paxton to prove he's ready to play in this league. Last year he wasn't.

Northman
02-26-2017, 02:40 PM
The writing would be on the wall, but that wouldn't mean the Broncos would get rid of Paxton. He's earning peanuts on a 5 year rookie deal.

Even if Trevor starts, there's no guarantee he won't get hurt again. Last year he was hurt 3 separate times including having an extremely severe left shoulder injury he apparently played through and the outside world didn't know was as bad as it is.

He was hurt in college and in his first year of the NFL. He's a small guy who is injury prone. Even if he starts, there's going to be opportunity for Paxton to start this season when Trevor gets hurt again. (and he probably will).

From there on, it's up to Paxton to prove he's ready to play in this league. Last year he wasn't.

He might be earning peanuts but if he cant win the job in year two as a first round talent and out play the other guy (hypothetically) than there really isnt any point in keeping him unless he was destined to just be a backup. But the point is if Paxton cant win the job and make progress it would be quite clear that Denver would have to look elsewhere for their #1 guy.

Cugel
02-26-2017, 03:01 PM
He might be earning peanuts but if he cant win the job in year two as a first round talent and out play the other guy (hypothetically) than there really isnt any point in keeping him unless he was destined to just be a backup. But the point is if Paxton cant win the job and make progress it would be quite clear that Denver would have to look elsewhere for their #1 guy.

That's just it. Why would Denver NOT keep him as a backup?

And if he's a backup now does that mean he has to remain a backup for the last 4 years of his contract? Not necessarily.

Unless the Broncos bring in a veteran like Tony Romo to start (less likely than not at this point if only because of how much $ Tony Romo would want), Paxton Lynch is taking all the first team snaps in OTAs & training camp.

This is his chance. But, if he shows he's still not ready, John Elway is not giving up on him. He'll have yet another chance in 2018 off-season.

And let's be realistic, he's probably going to start at least 1 or 2 games in 2017, given how injury prone Siemian (and Tony Romo of course) are. Even if BOTH Romo and Siemian were ahead of Lynch, it's an even money bet both of them get hurt this season and wind up on IR. Romo has played 5 games in 3 years.

And Siemian is having at least 1 major injury per season, including college. Usually more. He had 3 separate injuries last year including ankle and shoulder. In fact, he may well have had other minor injuries he concealed because he was so afraid of losing his starting job.

Of course, this doesn't mean that Elway won't try and draft another QB in the 2018 draft if he concludes Paxton can't do the job. But, he'll still be on the roster and he'll have other chances.

Northman
02-26-2017, 03:05 PM
That's just it. Why would Denver NOT keep him as a backup?

They may or may not. But if he's not that good than even as a backup he may not be worth keeping. I can give you a list of bad QB's that were cut in the past by the Broncos because they were not even good enough to be back ups if you wish. Its not unheard of to see first round picks totally flame out and not even make the team. Siemian has shown that he has problems staying healthy so i dont think he will ultimately be the answer here so if by chance Paxton cant prove anything than im 100% sure that Elway and Denver will look elsewhere for a starter. The only way Paxton remains if he cant win the starting job is if he can be a competent backup but that remains to be seen right now.

Poet
02-26-2017, 03:08 PM
All situations are different. They might cut him because he turns into a Brockhead and pouts like a hoe. They might cut him because he turned out to be so ******* bad that he makes Joey Harrington look like a god.

Or maybe he's just hurt all the time. Or they stumble upon another QB they think has a chance to develop but only want to carry 2 QB slots.

Or maybe there's a decent trade option. Or they are so tight against the cap that it's an easy cut.

Who knows?

Who? Who? Who?

Owls.

MOtorboat
02-26-2017, 03:14 PM
Oh where art thou, dear Tony?

Cugel
02-26-2017, 03:18 PM
They may or may not. But if he's not that good than even as a backup he may not be worth keeping. I can give you a list of bad QB's that were cut in the past by the Broncos because they were not even good enough to be back ups if you wish. Its not unheard of to see first round picks totally flame out and not even make the team. Siemian has shown that he has problems staying healthy so i dont think he will ultimately be the answer here so if by chance Paxton cant prove anything than im 100% sure that Elway and Denver will look elsewhere for a starter. The only way Paxton remains if he cant win the starting job is if he can be a competent backup but that remains to be seen right now.

You're talking yourself into a position that makes no sense. Paxton Lynch was not expected to start last year. That was never the plan. He was admitted by all NFL scouts to be "very raw" and "a multi-year project" The plan was for Mark Sanchez to start, for Paxton to develop behind him, and for Trevor Siemian to be either the #3 QB or more likely get cut in training camp.

Sanchez sucked and Siemian won the starting job but he struggled staying healthy and only won 8 games while the team failed to make the playoffs.

Despite your opinion there is just zero chance Elway gives up on Lynch this season if he's still not ready. He's earning next to nothing and they would need a 3rd QB anyway since Trevor is so injury prone. (as is Romo).

If Paxton was making average QB money, he'd have to win the starting job this year or get released. But, since it's peanuts he stays. "Money talks and B.S. walks." -- My cousin always said that when we were boys and it's still true.

But, even if he's the backup in 2017 that wouldn't prevent him from suddenly turning into a quality starter in year 3. Trevor Siemian came out of nowhere last year and won the starting job. It would be possible for Lynch to do that next year. But, the longer he waits, the harder it will be to convince the coaches he's the starter.

Probably if he doesn't start in 2018 he gets released at the end of his 4th season (the Broncos decline to exercise the 5th year option for 1st round draft picks). That's how those former 1st round QB busts you see around the league (Matt Lienart come on down!) get to a new team. Their former team keeps them until they would have to pay them a lot of money -- then release them.

Poet
02-26-2017, 03:21 PM
Cugel is actually more pretentious than I am.

Well done.

Northman
02-26-2017, 03:24 PM
You're talking yourself into a position that makes no sense. Paxton Lynch was not expected to start last year. That was never the plan. He was admitted by all NFL scouts to be "very raw" and "a multi-year project" The plan was for Mark Sanchez to start, for Paxton to develop behind him, and for Trevor Siemian to be either the #3 QB or more likely get cut in training camp.

Sanchez sucked and Siemian won the starting job but he struggled staying healthy and only won 8 games while the team failed to make the playoffs.

Despite your opinion there is just zero chance Elway gives up on Lynch this season if he's still not ready. He's earning next to nothing and they would need a 3rd QB anyway since Trevor is so injury prone. (as is Romo).

If Paxton was making average QB money, he'd have to win the starting job this year or get released. But, since it's peanuts he stays. "Money talks and B.S. walks." -- My cousin always said that when we were boys and it's still true.

But, even if he's the backup in 2017 that wouldn't prevent him from suddenly turning into a quality starter in year 3. Trevor Siemian came out of nowhere last year and won the starting job. It would be possible for Lynch to do that next year. But, the longer he waits, the harder it will be to convince the coaches he's the starter.

Probably if he doesn't start in 2018 he gets released at the end of his 4th season (the Broncos decline to exercise the 5th year option for 1st round draft picks). That's how those former 1st round QB busts you see around the league (Matt Lienart come on down!) get to a new team. Their former team keeps them until they would have to pay them a lot of money -- then release them.

I suggest you go back and read what i wrote because you clearly are having some comprehension problems. Especially pay special attention to my last sentence please. Everything else you are jibbering and jabbering about has nothing to do with what im talking about and i never brought it up once that Paxton should be starting year one. If there is anyone talking out their ass or in circles it is you my friend. Go back, read what i actually wrote and then comment.

Northman
02-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Cugel is actually more pretentious than I am.

Well done.

He's always been that way but people are aware of his schtick by now. He's a blowhard to the highest degree. lmao

Valar Morghulis
02-26-2017, 03:45 PM
He's always been that way but people are aware of his schtick by now. He's a blowhard to the highest degree. lmao

Lol, a blow hard.

I've never heard that before

Hawgdriver
02-26-2017, 03:50 PM
Lol, a blow hard.

I thought you invented the blow hard.

Valar Morghulis
02-26-2017, 03:51 PM

Hold on, just going to urban dictionary know to get an exact meaning.

Valar Morghulis
02-26-2017, 03:54 PM

I think you are taking in a different context, but yes I think you are correct. If I did not invent it, I have definitely mastered it

Hawgdriver
02-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Hold on, just going to urban dictionary know to get an exact meaning.

It's more archaic than urban dictionary.

NightTerror218
02-26-2017, 04:21 PM
Lynch has his window. Siemian is injury prone. All college and now nfl career. From severity of injury even though he claims to be ready by otas. I doubt it players always say they will be ready but coaches dont take risks and doctors need to sign off. He might be ready for training camp.

Poet
02-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Add soft as baby shit to TS' long list of shitty attributes.

DenBronx
02-26-2017, 04:48 PM
Is Trevor already being labeled as "injury prone"? Really?

Poet
02-26-2017, 04:52 PM
Well he was hurt in college and gets hurt easily in the pros. He has a small frame and any damage to his body seems to reduce his already average arm to a noodle...

So...yep.

Poet
02-26-2017, 04:55 PM
And before I hear any of that shit about the line - it sucked but it was ranked 24th. So it's bad, but it's not historically bad, or so bad that 'no one could survive behind it' and we should know better.

People use the bad line as a catch all for everything.

Cugel
02-26-2017, 06:43 PM

First of all, I find it very disconcerting to argue with you. I feel like I'm getting cussed out by Emma Watson!

There's no reason for Elway to give up on the draft pick he moved up in the first round to select just because he's a slow developer. Instead Elway will do what is logical.

He will give Paxton another chance in 2018, but he will also bring in some competition for him via the draft next season - if he thinks he has to based on Paxton's performance. That way he wins either way. If Paxton finally figures out how to play in the NFL in his third season, fine. He wins the starting job and the rookie sits behind him.

BUT, if Lynch continues to struggle it's certain he doesn't get extended for his fifth year option (exercising that option would require paying him a boatload of $).

Under that scenario they would do with Paxton what the Seahawks did with Russell Okung, (a much higher 1st round pick than Paxton BTW). They let him play out his 4 year deal and then cut him loose by refusing to exercise their 5th year option).

I suspect that Elway might get rid of Paxton after the 2018 season if he just completely flames out. But, he'd have to be pretty bad not to even keep him on the roster since he's making virtually nothing by NFL standards (less than $1M).

But given Elway's investment in Lynch, and especially all the physical athleticism and talent that led Elway and his scouts to draft him in the first place, there's no way they will willingly conclude that Paxton is a bust - unless he just goes out and shows no improvement since last year - and that he's just not able to play in this league.

NightTerror218
02-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Is Trevor already being labeled as "injury prone"? Really?

He never finished a season in college

Cugel
02-26-2017, 07:47 PM
And before I hear any of that shit about the line - it sucked but it was ranked 24th. So it's bad, but it's not historically bad, or so bad that 'no one could survive behind it' and we should know better.

People use the bad line as a catch all for everything.

That's true. According to Tyler Polumbus the line isn't terrible. It wasn't great last year for sure. But, there were certainly worse OL in the NFL. IN fact Polumbus is worried that the OL will get worse this year if they don't find a T in FA to replace both Stephenson and Okung, as well as find a RG to replace Michael Schofield as a starter.

Max Garcia has been no prize either, and Matt Paradis has just had 2 hip surgeries so who knows how he will respond? But, you can't replace everybody and expect things to improve.

The Broncos look to start Paradis and Garcia and find three new starters, one of whom might possibly be Connor McGovern whom they will give a look at G. The others would be FAs since the draft is unlikely to yield OL starters. It's an historically bad draft for OL this year, maybe the worst in 20 years.

Poet
02-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Why the **** do you cling to what Polumbus says like it's gospel? If I wanted to know what that sack of shit had to say I'd just google his stupid name. I get sticking to some sources - I like PFF- because of the numbers and various people watching the games, but man, if you say Polumbus one more ******* time four thousand puppies will die.

Cugel
02-26-2017, 07:53 PM
He never finished a season in college

Between college and his first season in the NFL? Hell yes he's "injury prone." These are not accidents. He's listed at 6'3", 220 but he's lighter than that, probably around 210. He's nothing like some of the bigger QBs in the NFL like Cam Newton or Ben Roethlisberger. What do people think is going to happen when lightly built, 210lbs. dude gets hit by someone like Von Miller, Tamba Hali, Kalil Mack or Justin Houston?

5th degree shoulder separation, strained ankle ligament, etc., etc., etc. :coffee:

Some guys just know how to get hit to avoid injury. Trevor does not appear to be one of those guys.

Poet
02-26-2017, 07:54 PM
He's frail. His chest is weaker than his arms.

Cugel
02-26-2017, 07:57 PM
Why the **** do you cling to what Polumbus says like it's gospel? If I wanted to know what that sack of shit had to say I'd just google his stupid name. I get sticking to some sources - I like PFF- because of the numbers and various people watching the games, but man, if you say Polumbus one more ******* time four thousand puppies will die.

He's an 8 year pro OL who is still friends with the players in the locker room and gets text messages from them all the time. So, he counts as an expert. You don't. :coffee:

Poet
02-26-2017, 07:58 PM
He's an 8 year pro OL who is still friends with the players in the locker room and gets text messages from them all the time. So, he counts as an expert. You don't. :coffee:

It's funny because I don't think I'm an expert. But I also don't think parroting one source that you like is insightful. My god, you're a dumber version of me with an even bigger ego.

What does his dick taste like, Cugel?

Cugel
02-26-2017, 08:00 PM
He's frail. His chest is weaker than his arms.

It does appear to be that way. I keep thinking Tom Brady isn't a big guy, but he gets rid of the ball in such a hurry he rarely gets sacked. Trevor and Paxton have yet to learn that trick. Trevor did seem to get "happy feet" late in the season, and having a severely separated shoulder could be the reason why he looked that way. If you're going to hold it to the last second, or run around with the ball expect to get blasted by defenders. And if you're going to be hit you need to learn how to take the hit without having your season ended diving to the ground trying to trip up a defender running back a pick 6.

Cugel
02-26-2017, 08:01 PM
It's funny because I don't think I'm an expert. But I also don't think parroting one source that you like is insightful. My god, you're a dumber version of me with an even bigger ego.

What does his dick taste like, Cugel?

I wouldn't know, you tell me! You're the expert.

Poet
02-26-2017, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't know, you tell me! You're the expert.

Man, in twenty years I'm going to be awful.

FanInAZ
02-26-2017, 08:09 PM
Lol, a blow hard.

You've been coming to this site for how long now, & this is the 1st time you've heard the term? Have you never watched an American made movie or TV that's used this term before? Have you been paying attention to anything that any American says?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-26-2017, 10:13 PM
Man, in twenty years I'm going to be awful.

20 years? 😆

Poet
02-26-2017, 10:16 PM
20 years? ��

Right now, I am the greatest poster in the world. I'm the only one who can give intellectual, humorous, witty, insightful, playful, and serious posts at rapid fire. I have the best understanding of football and the world. I carry you pieces of shit. How dare you make a mockery of me? I'm the one who has the most irrefutable posts that cannot be refuted!

I'm an owl, you bitch!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-26-2017, 10:17 PM
Right now, I am the greatest poster in the world. I'm the only one who can give intellectual, humorous, witty, insightful, playful, and serious posts at rapid fire. I have the best understanding of football and the world. I carry you pieces of shit. How dare you make a mockery of me? I'm the one who has the most irrefutable posts that cannot be refuted!

I'm an owl, you bitch!

Your owl looks like a flying nocturnal emp. Make it leave.

Poet
02-26-2017, 10:19 PM
Your owl looks like a flying nocturnal emp. Make it leave.

Emp?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-26-2017, 10:22 PM
Emp?

Sorry, imp.

Poet
02-26-2017, 10:23 PM
Sorry, imp.

You don't hi-five enough of my posts. He stays.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-26-2017, 10:25 PM
You don't hi-five enough of my posts. He stays.

Not only have I high fived you today, but I gave you a mile high salute, which is the equivalent of a lazy hallmark card.

Poet
02-26-2017, 10:26 PM
Not only have I high fived you today, but I gave you a mile high salute, which is the equivalent of a lazy hallmark card.

I am the Sheriff of Owlingham. I have a tax rate that I impose upon thee - 45% or so- and you are only paying partial payments.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-26-2017, 10:28 PM
I am the Sheriff of Owlingham. I have a tax rate that I impose upon thee - 45% or so- and you are only paying partial payments.

I will shoot your owl by night and eat him by day because I am a freedom fighter and because I'm hungry.....and because I like to blow crap up.

Poet
02-26-2017, 10:29 PM
I will shoot your owl by night and eat him by day because I am a freedom fighter and because I'm hungry.....and because I like to blow crap up.

Drop one owl and ten rise to take his place.

We are the Dark Phoenix.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-26-2017, 10:30 PM

Drop one owl and ten rise to take his place.

We are the Dark Phoenix.

Soon to be the dead phoenix

Poet
02-26-2017, 10:31 PM
Soon to be the dead phoenix

Thank Cthulu we rise up!

Simple Jaded
02-26-2017, 10:31 PM
Remember when Whatshisface blew that bird up with a fastball? Birds blow up cool.

Poet
02-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Randy Johnson aint my buddy, my partner, and we damn sure ain't friends.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Remember when Whatshisface blew that bird up with a fastball? Birds blow up cool.

He was like a biker taking a shotgun to a window.

LawDog
02-26-2017, 11:06 PM
6'3" 220 is small framed?

Poet
02-26-2017, 11:08 PM
6'3" 220 is small framed?

He has a lithe build. He looks small on the field. I doubt he actually weights 220.

Cugel
02-28-2017, 11:13 AM

That tax rate is why no nobody will ever visit Owlingham!

Cugel
02-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Lynch has his window. Siemian is injury prone. All college and now nfl career. From severity of injury even though he claims to be ready by otas. I doubt it players always say they will be ready but coaches dont take risks and doctors need to sign off. He might be ready for training camp.

Trevor might not be fully healed by the start of Training Camp, but that won't be the whole story. Just because Paxton gets the starting job week 1 of the regular season doesn't mean: 1. he'll stay healthy the entire season or 2. that he can play well enough to keep his starting job.

Neither of these things is a given. This "QB controversy" is probably going to continue for the entire season. Same thing goes for Trevor. He could start, bomb, and then Paxton comes in and gets a chance to start. Or he gets re-injured and Paxton has to start. Whichever guy starts, fans are going to start screaming for the other guy the minute the starter throws a pick or the team loses.