PDA

View Full Version : The Young Pope

ShaneFalco
02-10-2017, 08:31 AM
So decided this show needs its own thread. Basically a new pope is voted in by the "breath of god" and he decides to use a different approach then the Church uses now and shakes the Roman Church to its core.

Here is intro to the show,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2btMNaFmYZk

Here is a speech he gives in Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbb-mita0Hs

weazel
02-10-2017, 10:30 AM
I tried watching it and was bored out of my mind.

Hawgdriver
02-10-2017, 10:32 AM
*than

Northman
02-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Missy and i watched the first 4 episodes but i can kind of admit with Weazel that its a bit boring. Has some very good acting in it and has the foundation to grow into something better but right now its just a bit slow and hard to get into.

ShaneFalco
02-10-2017, 11:13 AM
i was like that at first too, but it grew on me

Keep going the episodes get better every new one.

ShaneFalco
02-10-2017, 11:14 AM
I think he has some type of divine ability, and every episode it kind of hints at it more and more.

Slick
02-10-2017, 11:47 AM
I heard it was really good. I'll have to check it out. What channel is it on?

ShaneFalco
02-10-2017, 11:47 AM
i heard it was really good. I'll have to check it out. What channel is it on?
hbo

Slick
02-10-2017, 11:51 AM
hbo

Thanks. HBO's series are usually excellent. I will definitely check this out.

NightTrainLayne
02-10-2017, 11:56 AM
I haven't watched it, but have thought about it.

Generally, the media do a terrible job with portraying how the Catholic Church really works, and it gets very frustrating to watch something when every time you turn around you see something portrayed that is just wrong. So I usually don't get too excited to watch stuff like this because it is just frustrating vs. good.

I'll have to try and watch a couple episodes. If they get it right, it might be good, but based on just the basic premise I'm aware of, that's not likely.

ShaneFalco
02-10-2017, 11:57 AM
the sets they use are incredible.

ShaneFalco
02-10-2017, 11:58 AM

Generally, the media do a terrible job with portraying how the Catholic Church really works, and it gets very frustrating to watch something when every time you turn around you see something portrayed that is just wrong. So I usually don't get too excited to watch stuff like this because it is just frustrating vs. good.

I'll have to try and watch a couple episodes. If they get it right, it might be good, but based on just the basic premise I'm aware of, that's not likely.

In the beginning you might view it as a negative portrayal, but by episode 7 or 8 , you may think it views the church /god favorably.

It is a very interesting story they tell.

The Pope is a total dick at first, but there is a method to his madness.

ShaneFalco
02-10-2017, 12:16 PM
Also i believe i read that the church helped them with aspects of the film.

Poet
02-10-2017, 03:30 PM

How do you view the Exorcist? Or some of the movies that deal with the 'mystic' side of things? I have Catholic friends who don't mind it because they view those sorts of content as just using the church as a starting place for fiction in a show. Others think it can be done well, but it is difficult. I had one friend who was totally opposed to it.

NightTrainLayne
02-10-2017, 10:20 PM
How do you view the Exorcist? Or some of the movies that deal with the 'mystic' side of things? I have Catholic friends who don't mind it because they view those sorts of content as just using the church as a starting place for fiction in a show. Others think it can be done well, but it is difficult. I had one friend who was totally opposed to it.

Some do a good job. I haven't seen the Exorcist since I was a kid, but it was actually written by a practicing Catholic. More recently I saw the Exorcism of Emily Rose. That film did a pretty good job I thought.

Northman
02-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Some do a good job. I haven't seen the Exorcist since I was a kid, but it was actually written by a practicing Catholic. More recently I saw the Exorcism of Emily Rose. That film did a pretty good job I thought.

Both are great films regardless of religious accuracy for me. :)

JayTango
12-11-2018, 09:06 AM
The Young Pope is interesting and has a great acting in it, but it's also very slow-paced. I would recommend it for meditative mood only.