PDA

View Full Version : NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Broncos CEO Joe Ellis discuss team ownership situation

Denver Native (Carol)
02-01-2017, 07:36 PM
HOUSTON — Pat Bowlen has a plan and the plan remains in place, one compliant with the NFL and operating with success.

The Broncos’ longtime owner established a trust in the late 1990s to serve as a vehicle to transfer controlling ownership of the team to one of his seven children.

In 2014, Bowlen announced he would step down from his day-to-day duties of running the team because of Alzheimer’s. In his absence, and until the team’s next owner is named, the daily decisions of running the team are being made by three trustees — team president/CEO Joe Ellis, general counsel/executive vice president Rich Slivka and Denver attorney Mary Kelly. It is also up to those three to select Bowlen’s successor.

The transition process has raised questions from outsiders about transparency and the timetable for succession. But NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday the Broncos have been compliant with ownership rules and remain under the watch of Pat Bowlen.

“They have an owner: It’s Pat Bowlen,” Goodell said. “Unfortunately he has significant health challenges right now. I worked with Pat directly so I know he set up a system that was compliant with our rules if such an unfortunate situation occurred. And Pat is someone I deeply admire and respect, so the trust has worked effectively in the short term. But it’s a decision at some point in time that the membership will have to make — the Finance Committee and the broader membership — of whether that’s compliant and whether any changes they make beyond the trust will be consistent with our policies.”

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/01/denver-broncos-team-ownership-roger-goodell/

Joel
02-01-2017, 08:01 PM
And Pat is someone I deeply admire and respect, so the trust has worked effectively in the short term.
That does not logically follow (except maybe in Goodell Land.) The effectiveness of a persons plans may raise their admiration and respect, but their admiration and respect has NO bearing on their plans effectiveness. It shouldn't even affect PERCEPTIONS of that effectiveness, but when someone's collecting an 8-figure salary but serves at the pleasure of 32 owners, it often does. Fortunately, the other owners won't do anything to Mr. Bowlen they don't want done to themselves.

FanInAZ
02-03-2017, 02:00 AM
I'm confused, I thought Elway was 2nd in command after Bowlen. What exactly is Elway in charge of & what falls to this 3 person committee?

Joel
02-03-2017, 04:58 AM
I'm confused, I thought Elway was 2nd in command after Bowlen. What exactly is Elway in charge of & what falls to this 3 person committee?
"Football Operations," remember? That covers a lot of ground, but also excludes a lot. To take a current example, Elway probably wasn't involved in the decision to maintain current ticket prices rather than raise them, and Mary Kelly probably wasn't involved in hiring Joseph or signing/releasing Sanchez. But when the Competition Committee consisting of each owner, the NFLPA rep and Goodell meets each year to decide which rules to add/remove, whom does Denver send...?

I can see where the other owners are coming from, but the situation doesn't threaten the long term interests of any of them, and the precedent of collectively intervening in one teams ownership definitely would. I suspect this is because Mr. Bowlen's been an usually quiet but very effective booster for the Broncos and the NFL as a whole, so they want some clarity on whether he'll be succeeded by someone who continues that or views the Broncos as just another huge salable asset.

BroncoJoe
02-03-2017, 11:18 AM
I believe Joe Ellis has (current) full control of the organization. There are two others, I believe, but I"m not sure who they are.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Joe Ellis is the executive financial officer and Elway is the VP of football operations

BroncoJoe
02-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Joe Ellis is the executive financial officer and Elway is the VP of football operations

Actually, Ellis is President, Chairman and CEO of the Broncos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Ellis

LawDog
02-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Actually, Ellis is President, Chairman and CEO of the Broncos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Ellis

He is also Mr. Bowlen's surrogate in ownership matters. And does so under the guidance of the trust which is the three person entity. The trust is also tasked with selecting which of Mr. Bowlen's children will take over as owner and when.

BroncoJoe
02-03-2017, 06:24 PM
He is also Mr. Bowlen's surrogate in ownership matters. And does so under the guidance of the trust which is the three person entity. The trust is also tasked with selecting which of Mr. Bowlen's children will take over as owner and when.

Do you know who the three person entity is? I think Ellis is one, but who are the other two?

Joel
02-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Do you know who the three person entity is? I think Ellis is one, but who are the other two?
Right there in the OP:

In 2014, Bowlen announced he would step down from his day-to-day duties of running the team because of Alzheimer’s. In his absence, and until the team’s next owner is named, the daily decisions of running the team are being made by three trustees — team president/CEO Joe Ellis, general counsel/executive vice president Rich Slivka and Denver attorney Mary Kelly. It is also up to those three to select Bowlen’s successor.
So relax: We are in the lawyers' capable trustworthy hands. :)

LawDog
02-03-2017, 07:21 PM

team president/CEO Joe Ellis, general counsel/executive vice president Rich Slivka and Denver attorney Mary Kelly

EDIT *** oops, thanks Joel...

Poet
02-04-2017, 04:21 PM
I want Lawdog to be the Denver attorney.