PDA

View Full Version : Vance Joseph outlines current priorities as head coach

Denver Native (Carol)
02-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Vance Joseph’s third priority right now is football, but that shouldn’t concern Broncos fans.

As Denver’s new head coach told KOA News Radio on Tuesday afternoon, his first and second priorities lie with the managerial responsibilities that accompany a head-coaching gig.

“My first thing is [finding] what kind of players can we acquire to help our team get better,” Joseph said. “That’s always the first priority each morning coming into work. My second priority is probably scheduling for training camp and mini camps and all those things. And my third, is football. That’s the order of business. It’s pretty standard in the NFL.”

Joseph’s list doesn’t end there. Since he was announced as head coach on Jan. 12, he’s buried himself in film study of the Broncos’ 2016-17 season.

“I’ve watched most of the offensive tape the last couple weeks,” Joseph said. “It’s been fun to watch. Defensively, I’ve kind of watched a little bit, but I’m really familiar being with [former defensive coordinator] Wade [Phillips] and watching those guys play over the years. The offensive side, that’s where I spend most of my time as far as film study.”

And while Denver finished 21st in the league with 20.8 points per game, Joseph said he’s encouraged by the signs he saw from Trevor Siemian, Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders and the rest of the Denver offense.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Vance-Joseph-outlines-current-priorities-as-head-coach/52736a68-8e23-4449-81b6-aee29ba66aa1

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-01-2017, 01:03 PM
Did you see that King? Joseph thinks Trevor will be in the pro bowl next year!!

slim
02-01-2017, 01:22 PM
I don't understand why his first priority is finding players to acquire.

Isn't that Elway's job?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-01-2017, 01:38 PM

Isn't that Elway's job?

All I can think of is if he thought that a player(s) who did not grade out well, by changing things up a little would make them a better player, or by replacing, let's say, the OL coach, would make the existing players better, then they would not need to be replaced, via free agency or the draft.

Buff
02-01-2017, 01:42 PM

Isn't that Elway's job?

To be fair, he said "what kind of players we can acquire to help our team get better." So I take that to mean that he will give input on his preferences at different positions, playing styles, overall philosophies moreso than individual player targets.

slim
02-01-2017, 01:47 PM
I see. That makes sense.

NightTerror218
02-01-2017, 02:13 PM
He is prob working with elway and his coordinators to find out where they can improve. Types of players to look for.

Its the offseason. He has no contact with players so of course thats the focus now.

Joel
02-01-2017, 05:59 PM

Isn't that Elway's job?
NO: Our coaches ALL have "input" in that process; Elway just rubber stamps whatever they tell him. If we draft a bunch of scrubs and sign a bunch of gimpy has-beens, that's the coaches' fault for hand-picking "their" guys and failing to "coach them up." It's also Josephs fault if our RB stable sucks next year, because "he" retained Studesville and even promoted him to Assistant Head Coach. Is this your first time posting here? :tongue:

MOtorboat
02-01-2017, 07:29 PM
NO: Our coaches ALL have "input" in that process; Elway just rubber stamps whatever they tell him. If we draft a bunch of scrubs and sign a bunch of gimpy has-beens, that's the coaches' fault for hand-picking "their" guys and failing to "coach them up." It's also Josephs fault if our RB stable sucks next year, because "he" retained Studesville and even promoted him to Assistant Head Coach. Is this your first time posting here? :tongue:

I know this a ******* shocker to you, but the head coach is ultimately responsible for everything on the team, not just the things that you consider good.

Joel
02-01-2017, 07:38 PM
I know this a ******* shocker to you, but the head coach is ultimately responsible for everything on the team, not just the things that you consider good.
When the HC starts signing contracts, he'll be responsible for which draft picks and FAs sign with him. There's a reason someone asked, "Isn't that Elways job"?

NightTerror218
02-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Elway has the draw to players of high regard and will target players any coach wpuld want like ware ward and talib. Juat flat out great players. But when it comes to value guys. I think the coaches will tell elway who they think is a good fit or who they thing they could coach up. And elway will go aftwr if price is right if he agrees. Elway has pro scouts that help evaluate as well.

Joel
02-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Elway has the draw to players of high regard and will target players any coach wpuld want like ware ward and talib. Juat flat out great players. But when it comes to value guys. I think the coaches will tell elway who they think is a good fit or who they thing they could coach up. And elway will go aftwr if price is right if he agrees. Elway has pro scouts that help evaluate as well.
I think that's probably fairly accurate, but also means Elways coordinating and synthesizing input from ALL our coaches. All defensive assistants have someone a preferred best fit in the 1st (not necessarily the same someone) and so do all offensive and ST assistants (DEFINITELY not the same someone.) Only ONE of them can get "their guy," and ELWAY decides which one that'll be, precisely because there's so much disagreement among the many coaches.

So I'm sure Sambrailo was ON someones list (though probably Barones or Dennisons, not Kubiaks) and Schofield too (probably Barones or Gases, not Foxs) but not near the TOP: The guys who WERE got picked by other teams while Elway picked guys our OTHER coaches wanted: A 1st round OLB and CB plus a 2nd round WR (I'm very curious which of Foxs offensive assistants wanted Latimer so badly in the 2nd that Elway was willing to settle for Schofield on the next to last 3rd round pick.)

That brings up another interesting point: The coach who's been annually lobbying Elway for each lineman class to integrate into what Elway helped him build in previous years was Barone. When McCoy left, Gase was promoted to OC, but had never been an OL coach (before coaching QBs he was our WR coach, which may explain the Latimer pick.) Barone had, and moved back there from TE coach; when Foxs staff left and Dennison came on as OC, Barone was the incumbent OL coach.

In fact, the last Broncos OC to last >2 seasons was: Mike McCoy the LAST time he replaced Dennison.

Point being, I don't dispute our head and other coaches have "input" in drafting and FA, but precisely BECAUSE they ALL do, the final call's Elways.

Simple Jaded
02-01-2017, 11:12 PM
Gotsis = Kollar's pick.

Sampro = Kubiak's pick.

Terrell Davis = Kubiak's pick.

NightTerror218
02-01-2017, 11:39 PM
I think that's probably fairly accurate, but also means Elways coordinating and synthesizing input from ALL our coaches. All defensive assistants have someone a preferred best fit in the 1st (not necessarily the same someone) and so do all offensive and ST assistants (DEFINITELY not the same someone.) Only ONE of them can get "their guy," and ELWAY decides which one that'll be, precisely because there's so much disagreement among the many coaches.

So I'm sure Sambrailo was ON someones list (though probably Barones or Dennisons, not Kubiaks) and Schofield too (probably Barones or Gases, not Foxs) but not near the TOP: The guys who WERE got picked by other teams while Elway picked guys our OTHER coaches wanted: A 1st round OLB and CB plus a 2nd round WR (I'm very curious which of Foxs offensive assistants wanted Latimer so badly in the 2nd that Elway was willing to settle for Schofield on the next to last 3rd round pick.)

That brings up another interesting point: The coach who's been annually lobbying Elway for each lineman class to integrate into what Elway helped him build in previous years was Barone. When McCoy left, Gase was promoted to OC, but had never been an OL coach (before coaching QBs he was our WR coach, which may explain the Latimer pick.) Barone had, and moved back there from TE coach; when Foxs staff left and Dennison came on as OC, Barone was the incumbent OL coach.

In fact, the last Broncos OC to last >2 seasons was: Mike McCoy the LAST time he replaced Dennison.

Point being, I don't dispute our head and other coaches have "input" in drafting and FA, but precisely BECAUSE they ALL do, the final call's Elways.

I believe elway does fa like the draft and rank players. They make a board with priority and where elway does his magic to get players.

Joel
02-02-2017, 01:57 AM
I believe elway does fa like the draft and rank players. They make a board with priority and where elway does his magic to get players.
Likely, but he probably meets with ALL the coaches and scouts to compile that board, or at least meets with the coordinators after they integrate and summarize everyone elses recommendations and rationales. I doubt it's as simple as the HC walking into Elways office and saying, "Get these guys." I mean, if MY OC were a successful former OL coach and I had ANOTHER current OL coach, I'd get OL suggestions from them and scouts, not a HC who'd NEVER directly coached ANY linemen.

Cugel
02-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Obviously they are all working together. The head coach is responsible for putting together his "board" -- basically his off-season depth chart. If the coaches are unhappy about the performance of a unit (say the OL) they get together and see "who's available in FA at RT? How much will they cost?"

Elway is not going to insist on drafting or acquiring someone Joseph doesn't want. But, sometimes Elway gets players for future development purposes in later rounds of the draft, and the coaches have not developed them. That's been a disconnect for the last 3 coaches.

Fox wanted certain guys for his OL, while Elway wanted to see more of what they had in terms of development for Michael Schofield, Matt Paradis, Max Garcia and other young players. The disagreements continued with Kubiak and perhaps became more intense as the offense struggled, and Elway pushed for Lynch to start.

But, practically everybody on that team has been someone the head coach wanted. (Some scouts and assistants might not agree with every decision of course).

HORSEPOWER 56
02-06-2017, 01:59 PM
I honestly doubt that, especially during the season, assistant coaches and coordinators are spending any time lobbying for FAs or who to draft. They're pretty damned busy coaching the guys we already have. I strongly doubt Dennison, Kollar, Barone, etc have much input at all in the FA or draft process other than maybe telling the HC that we a need a guy who can do "X". You have an entire scouting department for that.

People thinking anyone besides Elway, the HC, and the head of the scouting department (and maybe Joe Ellis has a little input, too) are deciding who we acquire is really reaching. Their job is to coach the guys they're given. Maybe, if they have first hand knowledge of a particular player (coached them before or have college contacts) they might make a recommendation to the HC who then discusses it with Elway, but the idea that Elway assembles the entire coaching staff and scouting department and it's one big "who do you want me to buy" fest is ludicrous. Assistants and coordinators don't sit around and watch tape on prospects, don't normally interview potential draftees, and aren't in the war room on draft day.

Hawgdriver
02-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Elway pushed for Lynch to start.

You assert this often as a fact rather than as speculation. Why should we believe you?

I'm not dissing you. I am simply asking for a factual basis.

Hawgdriver
02-06-2017, 02:10 PM
I honestly doubt that, especially during the season, assistant coaches and coordinators are spending any time lobbying for FAs or who to draft. They're pretty damned busy coaching the guys we already have. I strongly doubt Dennison, Kollar, Barone, etc have much input at all in the FA or draft process other than maybe telling the HC that we a need a guy who can do "X". You have an entire scouting department for that.

People thinking anyone besides Elway, the HC, and the head of the scouting department (and maybe Joe Ellis has a little input, too) are deciding who we acquire is really reaching. Their job is to coach the guys they're given. Maybe, if they have first hand knowledge of a particular player (coached them before or have college contacts) they might make a recommendation to the HC who then discusses it with Elway, but the idea that Elway assembles the entire coaching staff and scouting department and it's one big "who do you want me to buy" fest is ludicrous. Assistants and coordinators don't sit around and watch tape on prospects, don't normally interview potential draftees, and aren't in the war room on draft day.

I get what you are saying and most of it sounds reasonable, but parts of it are surprising to me.

For example, during the offseason, why wouldn't an offensive coordinator look at film or other analysis of a select group of FA or draft targets? Doesn't it make sense to involve the person responsible for deploying that asset in the acquisition of that asset? Going further down the food chain seems a bit more unlikely, but on the other hand, if I was a running backs coach, I'd watch film of the 50 or so FA and draft prospects and prepare an analysis for my superiors. Seems like I'd need something to keep me busy during the break.

Poet
02-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Did you see that King? Joseph thinks Trevor will be in the pro bowl next year!!

Lynch does nothing.

TS does what he did again.

He is the seventh alternate again.

Sweet.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-06-2017, 03:01 PM
I get what you are saying and most of it sounds reasonable, but parts of it are surprising to me.

For example, during the offseason, why wouldn't an offensive coordinator look at film or other analysis of a select group of FA or draft targets? Doesn't it make sense to involve the person responsible for deploying that asset in the acquisition of that asset? Going further down the food chain seems a bit more unlikely, but on the other hand, if I was a running backs coach, I'd watch film of the 50 or so FA and draft prospects and prepare an analysis for my superiors. Seems like I'd need something to keep me busy during the break.

Sure. Coordinators probably participate a little in the process during the off season, but it's nowhere near like Joel makes it sound where the Oline coach tells the GM who he wants and the GM just pulls the trigger. They can make recommendations, but I'm sure they go through the HC.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Lynch does nothing.

TS does what he did again.

He is the seventh alternate again.

Sweet.

Would the reaction I garnered have been more entertaining if had said "all pro"?

Poet
02-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Would the reaction I garnered have been more entertaining if had said "all pro"?

:lol:

Simple Jaded
02-06-2017, 09:33 PM
Elway specifically said the coaches help choose players, he's probably lying though. Kubiak LITERALLY picked Terrell Davis, iirc.

Joel
02-07-2017, 02:14 AM
Elway specifically said the coaches help choose players, he's probably lying though. Kubiak LITERALLY picked Terrell Davis, iirc.
I freely concede just speculating, but imagine it went something like Kubiak saying, "Rick and the offensive assistants want a, b, Sambrailo, c, x, y and z; Wade and the defensive assistants want Ray, a, b, c, x, y and z; Joe says Ray, b, c and y are good on STs," then Elway talked with the scouts and decided his priorities.

Or maybe the equivalent via a much more involved meeting where EACH position coach makes his arguments before handing the coordinators a list of half a dozen guys, to reconcile and hand to Kubiak, who then reconciles them into an overall coachs list and present to Elway.

Or maybe some other equivalent; again, I've never been an NFL draft war room and don't personally know anyone who has. Point being that in ANY case, I doubt Elway nor any other GM just rubber stamped what Kubiak nor any other HC handed him, and am CERTAIN it's not as simple as Elway relying on NO ONE but the HC to inform his decisions, because he said point blank he gets HELP from the coachES.

You know darned good and well that the guys at the top of Wades wish list weren't at the top of Dennisons (though both may have had some overlap DeCamillis'.)

MOtorboat
02-07-2017, 03:00 AM
I freely concede just speculating, but imagine it went something like Kubiak saying, "Rick and the offensive assistants want a, b, Sambrailo, c, x, y and z; Wade and the defensive assistants want Ray, a, b, c, x, y and z; Joe says Ray, b, c and y are good on STs," then Elway talked with the scouts and decided his priorities.

Or maybe the equivalent via a much more involved meeting where EACH position coach makes his arguments before handing the coordinators a list of half a dozen guys, to reconcile and hand to Kubiak, who then reconciles them into an overall coachs list and present to Elway.

Or maybe some other equivalent; again, I've never been an NFL draft war room and don't personally know anyone who has. Point being that in ANY case, I doubt Elway nor any other GM just rubber stamped what Kubiak nor any other HC handed him, and am CERTAIN it's not as simple as Elway relying on NO ONE but the HC to inform his decisions, because he said point blank he gets HELP from the coachES.

You know darned good and well that the guys at the top of Wades wish list weren't at the top of Dennisons (though both may have had some overlap DeCamillis'.)

:pound:

Simple Jaded
02-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Omfg!

Sampro is Kubiak's fault!