PDA

View Full Version : Chris Harris: John Elway will make offseason splashes

Magnificent Seven
01-29-2017, 07:11 PM
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Apparently, Broncos general manager John Elway has conditioned his players to get excited about free agency.

Speaking to reporters this week, Broncos cornerback Chris Harris was answering a question about his transition into the offseason when he added this about Elway: "After the season hopefully everything starts to get rolling. Once free agency comes you know Elway is going to make some splashes. I'm excited to see who he brings as a part of the team."

When asked if he almost had to expect Elway to do something big by now, Harris laughed.

"Oh yeah, automatic splash," he said. "For sure."

While last offseason was relatively quiet by Elway standards, he still re-signed the team's best player, Von Miller, to a six-year, $114.5 million deal. The Broncos let Brock Osweiler, Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan walk but did manage to sign one of the top-20 free agents on the board: former Seahawks offensive tackle Russell Okung.

This will be an interesting offseason for the Broncos, who have been linked to Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, even though NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport poured some cold water on that storyline a few weeks ago. As is often the case this time of year, the list of potential free agents reads like a Pro Bowl squad, though many will be re-signed.

Denver will have a healthy amount of space given their relatively low salary-cap number spent on quarterbacks ($2,781,902 between Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch), which allows new head coach Vance Joseph some room to bring in players familiar with his system. Will that include another quarterback for offensive coordinator Mike McCoy? That would certainly constitute a splash.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000780434/article/chris-harris-john-elway-will-make-offseason-splashes

Magnificent Seven
01-29-2017, 07:12 PM
Can't wait!

Joel
01-30-2017, 12:41 AM
It feels like a weird thing to look forward to, but we have relatively few big holes, and reportedly have a lot of cap space to fill them. We can't really know our draft priorities before knowing how well that succeeds. Of course, we could create more holes in the interest of creating more cap space, and can't know which big names will be re-signed before they hit the open market, but all that also directly bears on everyone ELSES draft priorities (and thus what'll be available at our picks.)

*shrugs* It's the end of January: If you're not playing, you're planning. But for all the doom, gloom and blame-laying this year, we're still in pretty good shape.

Valar Morghulis
01-30-2017, 12:44 AM
But for all the doom, gloom and blame-laying this year, we're still in pretty good shape.

First positive comment I have ever read from you regarding the Broncos

MOtorboat
01-30-2017, 12:49 AM
Tony-Romo :clap:clap: :clap:clap:clap:

Simple Jaded
01-30-2017, 12:54 AM
I absolutely hate it when new HC's have to bring "their players", I rarely works out well for the Broncos.

Vance Joseph doesn't have a system for players to be "familiar" with. He's just supposed to be the "Leader of Men", if it ain't broke don't break it.

MOtorboat
01-30-2017, 12:55 AM
Vance Joseph doesn't have a system for players to be "familiar" with. He's just supposed to be the "Leader of Men", if it ain't broke don't break it.

I thought you wanted a defensive tackle :whoknows:

Simple Jaded
01-30-2017, 12:58 AM
I thought you wanted a defensive tackle :whoknows:

I actually didn't read the article, I'm just bitchy.

dogfish
01-30-2017, 01:33 AM

lol. . . i'm starting to think it might happen, if the cowballs can't trade him. . . and they probably can't, sooo. . .

i'm all for rolling those dice again, if the contract is right. . . you gotta be realistic about the guy's durability, though. . .

MOtorboat
01-30-2017, 01:44 AM
lol. . . i'm starting to think it might happen, if the cowballs can't trade him. . . and they probably can't, sooo. . .

i'm all for rolling those dice again, if the contract is right. . . you gotta be realistic about the guy's durability, though. . .

He will be cut.

Poet
01-30-2017, 01:48 AM
If Romo is available we should get him. He's still a really good player at this game. If we pick one TR, one good OL, patch up the OL, we're a top three team going into the season.

Joel
01-30-2017, 02:31 AM
I absolutely hate it when new HC's have to bring "their players (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/guard/)", I rarely works out well for the Broncos.

What about when assistants do it (they have "input," remember?)

PLAYER (22)
POS.
TO
2016 AAV
STATUS
MARKET VALUE

Luke Joeckel (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/12282/)
G
JAC
TBD
$5,300,400
UFA
Market Value (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/12282/market-value/false/)

T.J. Lang (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/5669/)
G
GB
TBD
$5,200,000
UFA
Market Value (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/5669/market-value/false/)

Chance Warmack (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/12290/)
G
TEN
TBD
$3,041,663
UFA
-

Ron Leary (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/10312/)
G
DAL
TBD
$2,553,000
UFA
Market Value (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/10312/market-value/false/)

Chris Chester (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/1079/)
G
ATL
TBD
$2,350,000
UFA
-

Kevin Zeitler (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/9837/)
G
CIN
TBD
$1,886,050
UFA
Market Value (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/9837/market-value/false/)

Austin Pasztor (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/10483/)
G
CLE
TBD
$1,671,000
UFA
-

Tim Lelito (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/12605/)
G
NO
TBD
$1,671,000
UFA
-

Ted Larsen (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/6713/)
G
CHI
TBD
$1,650,000
UFA
-

Jermon Bushrod (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/4511/)
G
MIA
TBD
$1,500,000
UFA
-

Joel
01-30-2017, 02:39 AM

Cutting him would only save them ~$5M (I realize that's a lot of money to normal people, but the point is they eat nearly $20M of dead money even if they DO cut him.) Fact is, they were budgeted for that from the get go; it's only become an issue because 1) he got hurt again and 2) Dak looks like the real deal. But pretend they didn't have Dak: Would they still start Romo at $25M next year? You bet your butt they would, and if Dak gets hurt, they will.

They can't trade him unless they do some kind of sign 'n trade; his current 2017 salary is huge AND they'll want enough trade value to offset the $19½M of dead money they'll have for the money they guaranteed but haven't charged to their cap yet. No one's going to give up $35M worth of cap space, players and picks for a 37-year-old piñata with a long unbroken history of choking. ESPECIALLY not Elway.

Freyaka
01-30-2017, 10:16 AM

I still don't think it will because the only way it happens is if Jones cuts him. Jones is going to want to get something out of him and if there is even ONE team desperate enough for a QB to offer something, they'll get him.

I don't see us taking on his contract as is, it's absurdly bad. So the only way it works is if he gets cut and then we can sign him on our own terms.

Freyaka
01-30-2017, 10:21 AM
Cutting him would only save them ~$5M (I realize that's a lot of money to normal people, but the point is they eat nearly $20M of dead money even if they DO cut him.) Fact is, they were budgeted for that from the get go; it's only become an issue because 1) he got hurt again and 2) Dak looks like the real deal. But pretend they didn't have Dak: Would they still start Romo at $25M next year? You bet your butt they would, and if Dak gets hurt, they will.

They can't trade him unless they do some kind of sign 'n trade; his current 2017 salary is huge AND they'll want enough trade value to offset the $19½M of dead money they'll have for the money they guaranteed but haven't charged to their cap yet. No one's going to give up $35M worth of cap space, players and picks for a 37-year-old piñata with a long unbroken history of choking. ESPECIALLY not Elway.

As dirty as it makes me feel to admit I agree with you, I do...There is zero reason for Jones to cut Romo. He either trades him or sits on him. It is not beneficial to the cowboys to cut him and we aren't going to eat that much cap space for another rental.

Cowboys will either find a good trade partner or have a very expensive backup for next season. The Romo situation is very similar to the DT situation...Fans around here really want to see him cut or traded, but no one is going to take on that contract and it doesn't offer enough cap savings to make it worth while to cut the player...

Cugel
01-30-2017, 11:00 AM

Dallas failed again to advance to the SB, although for the last 2 years they have believed they had a championship team. Last year, it wasn't so painful to them because Carolina was 15-1, and obviously the best team in the NFC. This year Dallas found Dak Prescott and got on a roll early so the pain was greater.

Clearly, they need to improve. How can they do it? By following the Seahawks model. The Seahawks were able to dump any QB salary because they had drafted Russell Wilson and were paying him less than $1M, freeing up $60M in cap space (3 years salary) they could use to sign other players. Not until after his SB victory did they re-negotiate his contract.

If they can unload Romo's salary, Dallas will be in the same shape as Seattle and Denver, who followed similar models. The Broncos cut Manning's salary by $5M, using the money to re-sign D.T.

This year, free of Manning's $15M contract, and not having to pay Brock Osweiler, they managed to re-sign Von Miller to his $100M+ deal.

Dallas will be a very formidable team in the next few years if they don't have to pay their QB and can spend all the money on other FAs and re-signing their own best players. Seattle has managed to keep virtually the entire Legion of Boom under contract.

Thus, job #1 for Dallas to take advantage of this bonanza, made possible by having a rookie QB they are certain is their franchise QB on a 5 year contract, is to dump Romo's salary.

If they can find a team to take on the salary (which should be possible) they can trade him for a low pick or even a conditional pick. The pick isn't so important. The money is what is important, freeing them to make other moves to strengthen their lineup and fill any holes via FA.

I don't think they cut him because for them that's the worst possible outcome. The only mitigating factor would be if they cut him after the June 1 deadline, so that the cap hit gets pro-rated into 2 portions (this year and next). They might do that if nobody offers to take on Romo's contract.

Northman
01-30-2017, 11:03 AM
I absolutely hate it when new HC's have to bring "their players", I rarely works out well for the Broncos.

Agree 100%

Northman
01-30-2017, 11:04 AM

You heard it here first, if Romo comes to Denver he wont last the season without being hurt. lol

Joel
01-30-2017, 11:23 AM
Dallas always planned to ride with Romo despite a huge cost until they could draft and develop his successor: All that's changed is that they're (seemingly) way ahead of schedule on that last part. But if it was economical before, it still is, and Maddens old "if you have two QBs, you don't have any" adage is no longer true. Ask the 2014 Cards or 2016 Raiders what happens to a dominant team that loses its franchise QB; Hell, ask Dallas on the many occasions Romo went on IR at the end of the season and the playoffs hopes that looked bright all year were instantly snuffed out like a candle. Where would NE* be without Garropolo, or us without Oz last year?

If Dak has a sophomore slump and/or extended injury, it'll be a total role reversal from this year, with Jerry ignoring the fans' angry demands he bench his pet starter for Dak again. The sole reason it's being discussed is that 1) Dallas is primed for a title run but 2) lacks both the D to win a playoff game and 3) the cap space to get one. If Jerry thinks he can secure a quick fix by selling out on D in the draft, he can still ride with Romo AND Dak.

It's a one-year problem, after all; the dead money for cutting Romo in 2018 would be painful, but not crippling (and he might even find a desperate trade partner.)

Joel
01-30-2017, 11:31 AM
Dallas failed again to advance to the SB, although for the last 2 years they have believed they had a championship team. Last year, it wasn't so painful to them because Carolina was 15-1, and obviously the best team in the NFC. This year Dallas found Dak Prescott and got on a roll early so the pain was greater.

Clearly, they need to improve. How can they do it? By following the Seahawks model. The Seahawks were able to dump any QB salary because they had drafted Russell Wilson and were paying him less than $1M, freeing up $60M in cap space (3 years salary) they could use to sign other players. Not until after his SB victory did they re-negotiate his contract.

If they can unload Romo's salary, Dallas will be in the same shape as Seattle and Denver, who followed similar models. The Broncos cut Manning's salary by $5M, using the money to re-sign D.T.

This year, free of Manning's $15M contract, and not having to pay Brock Osweiler, they managed to re-sign Von Miller to his $100M+ deal.

Dallas will be a very formidable team in the next few years if they don't have to pay their QB and can spend all the money on other FAs and re-signing their own best players. Seattle has managed to keep virtually the entire Legion of Boom under contract.

Thus, job #1 for Dallas to take advantage of this bonanza, made possible by having a rookie QB they are certain is their franchise QB on a 5 year contract, is to dump Romo's salary.

If they can find a team to take on the salary (which should be possible) they can trade him for a low pick or even a conditional pick. The pick isn't so important. The money is what is important, freeing them to make other moves to strengthen their lineup and fill any holes via FA.

I don't think they cut him because for them that's the worst possible outcome. The only mitigating factor would be if they cut him after the June 1 deadline, so that the cap hit gets pro-rated into 2 portions (this year and next). They might do that if nobody offers to take on Romo's contract.
1) The Seahawks model was as much about rolling the dice and getting lucky with a 3rd round QB as anything else, and it's a short term solution since even a 1st round QBs contract ends after the 5th year option. "Draft stars and win a bunch of SBs before their rookie contracts expire" isn't a novel idea, but it's rarely a tenable one, and never a long term solution: Even the best scouts in the world can't get that lucky that often (especially when they start drafting with 10+ wins.)

2) Dallas can't really unload Romos contract anyway: He's into them for at least $20M of cap NO MATTER WHAT. We're just debating whether it's $5M more, but $5M to have a solid insurance policy against an injury or slump aborting a run to or during the playoffs is worth it.

I gotta say, this Seahawks Way thing is really getting old, man. It was hardly a novel idea, not even the part about building a great team and then plugging in a great rookie QB on the cheap (which, incidentally, is pretty much what I've been saying for years: It's a lot easier to get a high draft pick or trade up for ONE great player than half a dozen, especially when "offense [i.e. QBs] win games, but defense wins championships.") That's what the '9ers did when Smiths rookie deal was up and it looked like they had as good or better a cheap young QB in Kaepernick. But they kinda sorta IMPLODED almost immediately after that, a cautionary tale of its own.

Also, Dallas in particular is in no position to follow that "blueprint," because they don't HAVE a D: They have Sean Lee, a couple decent roleplayers, and a bunch of JAGs. They'll probably lose Brandon Carr right now because of Romos contract, and must ALSO re-sign his likely successor (i.e. Morris Claiborne.) Along with Barry Church (probably their third best defender after Lee and Carr.)

Good news: They don't HAVE anyone to demand Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman money—bad news: They don't have ANYONE to demand Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman money. They'll be lucky to keep Ron Leary (a key part of their elite line,) Terrance Williams (their #2 WR) and Gavin Escobar (Wittens heir apparent.)

Davii
01-30-2017, 11:37 AM
Romo wants out, Dallas wants him gone... anyone think he might rework his contract to make it more palatable for Dallas to cut him or another team to trade for him?

Joel
01-30-2017, 11:50 AM
Romo wants out, Dallas wants him gone... anyone think he might rework his contract to make it more palatable for Dallas to cut him or another team to trade for him?Maybe, and that's the only way I can see it happening. The uncharged guarantees Dallas gave him are just KILLER; even if they trade him, their dead money alone is more than the cap hit for most starters. Spotrac has his dead money at $19½M (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo-2447/); if I'm reading that right (which I concede I may not be) that's in addition to any 2017 salary. It'd take a steep pay cut for any team to to offer anything equivalent to BOTH. And it would have to be a team far more desperate for a QB than we.

"Paging Sashi Brown...." ;)

Cugel
01-30-2017, 01:46 PM
1) The Seahawks model was as much about rolling the dice and getting lucky with a 3rd round QB as anything else, and it's a short term solution since even a 1st round QBs contract ends after the 5th year option. "Draft stars and win a bunch of SBs before their rookie contracts expire" isn't a novel idea, but it's rarely a tenable one, and never a long term solution: Even the best scouts in the world can't get that lucky that often (especially when they start drafting with 10+ wins.)

I doubt you thought this through Joel, because it doesn't make sense.

Obviously, the Seattle model is damnably difficult to do. It requires drafting a QB, having him turn out to be a top 10 talent, and paying him rookie contract money for 4 seasons, then using the money to pay other players. Obviously it's not a new idea. Nothing in the NFL is actually new. It's the most reactionary business I've ever seen. Practically no really new ideas in the last 25 years.

The hard part is obviously drafting the right QB. But Dallas has got that part. They are not moving away from Dak Prescott, sophomore slump or no. He's their franchise QB. If he struggles they'll work with him to get him fixed. Only if his struggles continue over several seasons would they THINK of replacing him. There's just no point going back to Romo since that would only hurt his development.

The difficulty with the Seattle model does NOT mean it's not a viable strategy. Of course it is. Is it a long term solution? Define "long term." The Patriots have been doing it for more than 15 years now, and it's certainly worked for them. But, just as obviously, it works because they have Tom Brady, perhaps the best QB in NFL history and certainly top 3. Nobody is going out in the draft and finding another Tom Brady.

The Seahawks defenders will get old and need to be replaced and they will have difficulty managing the cap because now they are paying Russell Wilson what he's worth (this year $19M + incentives).

Well, welcome to life in the NFL! If you can't do this you will be beaten by some other team like the Broncos, the Patriots (Tom Brady is only earning $14M in 2017) or Seahawks or someone else who can do it.

But successfully managing the cap in this respect DOES give a team a window of opportunity.

And in the NFL you are either inside a window of opportunity for a championship, or else building up towards that window.

2) Dallas can't really unload Romos contract anyway: He's into them for at least $20M of cap NO MATTER WHAT. We're just debating whether it's $5M more, but $5M to have a solid insurance policy against an injury or slump aborting a run to or during the playoffs is worth it.

Obviously, Jerry Jones can keep Romo and will if nobody will take on his contract. They're not giving him away. But, Jerry loves Tony like a son, and won't keep him sitting on the bench for what could be the rest of his career.

I gotta say, this Seahawks Way thing is really getting old, man. It was hardly a novel idea, not even the part about building a great team and then plugging in a great rookie QB on the cheap (which, incidentally, is pretty much what I've been saying for years: It's a lot easier to get a high draft pick or trade up for ONE great player than half a dozen, especially when "offense [i.e. QBs] win games, but defense wins championships.") That's what the '9ers did when Smiths rookie deal was up and it looked like they had as good or better a cheap young QB in Kaepernick. But they kinda sorta IMPLODED almost immediately after that, a cautionary tale of its own.

Also, Dallas in particular is in no position to follow that "blueprint," because they don't HAVE a D: They have Sean Lee, a couple decent roleplayers, and a bunch of JAGs. They'll probably lose Brandon Carr right now because of Romos contract, and must ALSO re-sign his likely successor (i.e. Morris Claiborne.) Along with Barry Church (probably their third best defender after Lee and Carr.)

Good news: They don't HAVE anyone to demand Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman money—bad news: They don't have ANYONE to demand Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman money. They'll be lucky to keep Ron Leary (a key part of their elite line,) Terrance Williams (their #2 WR) and Gavin Escobar (Wittens heir apparent.)

You just fragged your own argument. The fact that Dallas has NOT got a championship D is the entire point! They can easily get one - IF they have enough money and make smart choices in FA, like Denver did.

Denver cut Peyton's salary in 2014, and started signing veteran FAs:

TJ Ward, Aquib Talib, Darien Stewart, DeMarcus Ware, Emmanuel Sanders, among others. Within 2 seasons they went from having a good but not great defense to having one of the best 4 defenses in NFL history: fully equal to the '85 Bears, the 2000 Ravens or the 2003 Bucs. And it won a SB.

There's really no reason why Dallas couldn't get some defensive FAs who would make an immediate impact, if they cut $20M out of their payroll for 2017. And they could do that if some team agreed to take the cap hit in assuming Romo's contract. Or at least part of it.

Cugel
01-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Maybe, and that's the only way I can see it happening. The uncharged guarantees Dallas gave him are just KILLER; even if they trade him, their dead money alone is more than the cap hit for most starters. Spotrac has his dead money at $19½M (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo-2447/); if I'm reading that right (which I concede I may not be) that's in addition to any 2017 salary. It'd take a steep pay cut for any team to to offer anything equivalent to BOTH. And it would have to be a team far more desperate for a QB than we.

"Paging Sashi Brown...." ;)

For one thing, if they released or traded him after the June 1 deadline, the cap hit should be pro-rated over 2 years instead of one, I believe.

The reason I don't think Romo is coming here is that they could get some other team desperate enough to take on his contract and take the cap hit. Lots of stupid teams in this league, lots of GMs & coaches who will be FIRED if they don't win, and Romo would probably save their jobs.

Northman
01-30-2017, 01:58 PM
Niners for example.

Freyaka
01-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Niners for example.

I would hope John Lynch is a smarter man than that...

Magnificent Seven
01-30-2017, 02:49 PM
I hope they will bring some big names to replace offensive linemen, too.

Defensive end Chandler Jones is a free agent this offseason, and getting him signed will be great. He can replace Mailk Jackson and Crick. Broncos can improve on run defense.

Eric Berry is a free agent, too. I am not sure if Elway wants to keep S TJ Ward around.

Dontari Poe would be a great fit for Broncos defense.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-30-2017, 02:51 PM
I hope they will bring some big names to replace offensive linemen, too.

Defensive end Chandler Jones is a free agent this offseason, and getting him signed will be great. He can replace Mailk Jackson and Crick. Broncos can improve on run defense.

Eric Berry is a free agent, too. I am not sure if Elway wants to keep S TJ Ward around.

Dontari Poe would be a great fit for Broncos defense.

Chandler Jones is an edge rusher. He's too small to play DE

Northman
01-30-2017, 03:54 PM
Whats wrong with Ward? I think he has done a great job in Denver.

Magnificent Seven
01-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Whats wrong with Ward? I think he has done a great job in Denver.

Good Question. Nothing wrong with Ward. Eric Berry just popped up in my mind.

Magnificent Seven
01-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Chandler Jones is an edge rusher. He's too small to play DE

He could play OLB?

dogfish
01-30-2017, 05:08 PM
He could play OLB?

no need. . . we already have shane ray, shaq barrett, and dekoda watson. . . we need help at inside 'backer, not outside. . . if you want to raid the cardinals, calais campbell is your guy. . .

dogfish
01-30-2017, 05:17 PM
He will be cut.

i think so too. . . if it were any team but dallas, you could just go ahead and put it in the books. . . jerruh is a wild card who does what he wants rather than what makes sense, but i can't see even him paying $24 million for a backup. . . it's great for people to say they'll want to get something for him, but that means nothing-- i want to win the powerball and buy into an NFL team, too. . . want means jack shit. . . joel sez cutting him is "only" a five million dollar savings? even in NFL monopoly money terms, that's a lot of cap space-- five million is a quality starter. . . i'll be quite surprised if tony's on the cowballs roster next season. . . i'd put the odds of him being here much, much higher. . .

Poet
01-30-2017, 05:22 PM
Man I ******* love Tony Romo. If he played here I would be so happy. Actual joy.

dogfish
01-30-2017, 05:42 PM
Man I ******* love Tony Romo. If he played here I would be so happy. Actual joy.

it would be nice to have a quality starting QB again. . . i'm pretty concerned that he can no longer survive NFL hits, though. . .

You heard it here first, if Romo comes to Denver he wont last the season without being hurt. lol

i've heard hundreds of people say that already, but good effort. . . :heh:

Poet
01-30-2017, 05:56 PM
it would be nice to have a quality starting QB again. . . i'm pretty concerned that he can no longer survive NFL hits, though. . .

i've heard hundreds of people say that already, but good effort. . . :heh:

What we'll do is that we will trade Romo back to the Cowboys when Dak starts to struggle.

#Elway
#styletrade
#oooooohbooooy

BroncoJoe
01-30-2017, 05:57 PM
I was one of the few that wasn't thrilled about Manning coming here. Was proven wrong.

I'm not thrilled about Romo coming here, even though I think he's a really good QB. If he does, I hope I'm proven wrong again.

Buff
01-30-2017, 06:30 PM
I was over the moon about Manning, watching the breathless live helicopter shots of his SUV making free agent visits.

I don't want Romo. He's a mediocre party boi who always comes up small on the biggest stage.

If we were going to sign him we needed to do it while he was banging Jessica Simpson.

BroncoJoe
01-30-2017, 06:49 PM
I was over the moon about Manning, watching the breathless live helicopter shots of his SUV making free agent visits.

I don't want Romo. He's a mediocre party boi who always comes up small on the biggest stage.

If we were going to sign him we needed to do it while he was banging Jessica Simpson.

She's still beautiful.

dogfish
01-30-2017, 07:50 PM

wait, romo's a party guy? you sure you don't have him confused with jonathon football?

Simple Jaded
01-30-2017, 09:04 PM
What about when assistants do it (they have "input," remember?)]
A, assistants do have input.

B, I'm the telling 24 months ago that John Benton should be the Broncos OL coach, and here he is.

C, I'm right, you're wrong.

D, Suck it WORLD!

Simple Jaded
01-30-2017, 09:12 PM
For one thing, if they released or traded him after the June 1 deadline, the cap hit should be pro-rated over 2 years instead of one, I believe.

The reason I don't think Romo is coming here is that they could get some other team desperate enough to take on his contract and take the cap hit. Lots of stupid teams in this league, lots of GMs & coaches who will be FIRED if they don't win, and Romo would probably save their jobs.

PSA, folks the Cowballs don't have to wait til June 1st to make this cap hit spread over this year and next. I don't know why Cugel and Joel insist on ignoring this fact but I'm just saying...again.

They can cut Romo the first day of the new league year and "Designate" Romo as a June 1st cap casualty.

Simple Jaded
01-30-2017, 09:16 PM
no need. . . we already have shane ray, shaq barrett, and dekoda watson. . . we need help at inside 'backer, not outside. . . if you want to raid the cardinals, calais campbell is your guy. . .

And he plays DE.

Poet
01-30-2017, 09:17 PM
Jaded, if you could have two new OL of solid quality or a ILB and a DT of solid quality, which pairing would you take?

Don't style on me with one liners, for once please.

Simple Jaded
01-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Jaded, if you could have two new OL of solid quality or a ILB and a DT of solid quality, which pairing would you take?

Don't style on me with one liners, for once please.

I can't have both?

Simple Jaded
01-30-2017, 09:20 PM
I'd take Poe and Zach Brown and then devote aa much draft capital on the OL as possible.

Poet
01-30-2017, 09:22 PM
I'd take Poe and Zach Brown and then devote aa much draft capital on the OL as possible.

If they did a mix and match with one OL and one defensive player, would you be mad?

Simple Jaded
01-30-2017, 09:29 PM
If they did a mix and match with one OL and one defensive player, would you be mad?

Nope. I say sign them all.

dogfish
01-30-2017, 11:50 PM
Nope. I say sign them all.

and make mexico pay for it!

Freyaka
01-31-2017, 09:42 AM
and make mexico pay for it!

Mexico said they weren't paying for our o-line (dubbed "the wall") How are we going to make them pay for it if they don't want to pay for it?

Joel
01-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Mexico said they weren't paying for our o-line (dubbed "the wall") How are we going to make them pay for it if they don't want to pay for it?
20% tax on all tickets to NFL games at Estadio Azteca. Which, come to think of it, may actually happen....

Simple Jaded
01-31-2017, 09:27 PM

"Because I said so"