PDA

View Full Version : In Joseph, Broncos went for best locker room leader, not coordinator

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2017, 02:41 PM
ENGLEWOOD - It’s obvious to all the Denver Broncos did not pick their new head coach on coordinator proficiency alone.

The NFL playoffs have reinforced Kyle Shanahan is a much better offensive coordinator than Vance Joseph was as a defensive coordinator.

Yet, Aqib Talib was a reason why the Broncos picked Joseph instead of Shanahan to be their next head coach. Not just Talib, but Derek Wolfe, Emmanuel Sanders, Shane Ray, T.J. Ward, Virgil Green, C.J. Anderson, Brandon Marshall and Chris Harris Jr.

The Broncos’ locker room is filled with characters. Strong, one-of-a-kind personalities. Emotional, competitive players who speak their mind first, dismiss the consequences later.

The locker room of these personalities appeared to become unglued near season’s end.

“I don’t think it was ungluing,’’ Broncos’ general manager John Elway said in a sit down interview with 9News this week. “Here’s what I think it was: I think it was frustration. Everybody wanted to get back to the playoffs and everybody wanted to win. There was a frustration level there that we weren’t playing as well offensively as we wanted to. And it wasn’t because of lack of effort or anything like that. Anytime you have a championship team and we struggle and we went through some weeks like we went through you’re going to have frustration.

“So people want to say it was offense against defense. No, it was a frustration level and the fact that we weren’t playing as well as we needed to play offensively. The defense was holding up their end and we weren’t playing as well offensively so that creates frustration. That’s normal in a locker room especially when have strong personalities like we do.

“But to be able to win, and win championships, you’ve got to have those strong personalities. The thing is that frustration level shows you how much they want to win. That’s why we have such a great locker room.’’

rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/in-joseph-broncos-went-for-best-locker-room-leader-not-coordinator/386225214

Northman
01-15-2017, 02:57 PM
As long as he wins i dont care what he does in the lockerroom. Im not even sure if that is supposed to reflect badly on Kubes or not. Was there a greater problem in the lockerroom than what we heard? Either way, best of luck to Joseph, i expect to be at least back in the playoffs next year.

turftoad
01-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Kinda think that's why Wade wasn't resigned. Heard rumblings that he was sticking up for the "D" players and not the team as a whole.

tripp
01-15-2017, 11:28 PM
Liked our game plan. Need to get back that leadership that I think was missing from this year. I think Manning held the entire team together, and once he retired, the defense started pointing the finger at the offense. No one on offense has the credibility that Manning.

Bottom line is, Joseph will be the game manager. Important to get the Coordinators you want as well.. I think it's absolutely massive we got McCoy back, more big of a deal than signing Joseph IMO.

broncofaninfla
01-16-2017, 01:24 PM
The guys didn't go down kicking and screaming this year. Hopefully Vance changes that.

Northman
01-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Apparently for whatever reason the Denver Post or some publication is starting to bring up the alleged sexual assault that happened in 2003. Even though Joseph wasnt charged i dont understand why this is now being brought up.

Nomad
01-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Apparently for whatever reason the Denver Post or some publication is starting to bring up the alleged sexual assault that happened in 2003. Even though Joseph wasnt charged i dont understand why this is now being brought up.

It's the media, so I'm not surprised.

Hawgdriver
01-16-2017, 01:32 PM

Have you seen circulation numbers?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-16-2017, 01:33 PM

Exactly; click bait-

Northman
01-16-2017, 01:33 PM

No, but its all over FB at the moment.

Freyaka
01-16-2017, 01:39 PM

Oh you mean like Manning's assault that got brought up way after the fact? Granted I'm amazed it's the post bringing it up and not Boston Media...

UnderArmour
01-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Kinda think that's why Wade wasn't resigned. Heard rumblings that he was sticking up for the "D" players and not the team as a whole.

If he was, that was his job to do that. Coordinators are supposed to stick up for their side of the ball and keep them rolling on all cylinders. Until Wade got here, this was entirely Manning's team and Manning was holding his side of the ball accountable sticking up for them. Once Manning left, it was CJ's offense, but then CJ got hurt so the offense just had no heart. Talib can shout down Okungs all day, but if PFM or CJ opens their mouth nobody can say anything because there is no doubt they are all-in players.

Joel
01-17-2017, 03:52 AM
Success is the ultimate leadership metric, and Vance Joseph's had precious little playoff success (the only kind that matters in Denver.) He's 2-5 in 5 postseasons, both wins coming in Houston under Kubiak and Wade—both of whom are gone now. At least McDumbass had a lot of coordinator experience when we hired him: This is Josephs FIRST season at even that level, but now he's in charge of the whole TEAM.

I'm nearly as pessimistic now as I was optimistic this time two years ago. The biggest things we need are someone to 1) rebuild our line and 2) develop our QBs (who have a combined six seasons experience between the three of them) while 3) retaining our defensive strength. That seemed to make hiring Kyle Shanahan and giving Wade a raise (it's not like there's a salary cap for coaches) a no brainer. Guess we'll see....

Freyaka
01-17-2017, 08:49 AM
Success is the ultimate leadership metric, and Vance Joseph's had precious little playoff success (the only kind that matters in Denver.) He's 2-5 in 5 postseasons, both wins coming in Houston under Kubiak and Wade—both of whom are gone now. At least McDumbass had a lot of coordinator experience when we hired him: This is Josephs FIRST season at even that level, but now he's in charge of the whole TEAM.

I'm nearly as pessimistic now as I was optimistic this time two years ago. The biggest things we need are someone to 1) rebuild our line and 2) develop our QBs (who have a combined six seasons experience between the three of them) while 3) retaining our defensive strength. That seemed to make hiring Kyle Shanahan and giving Wade a raise (it's not like there's a salary cap for coaches) a no brainer. Guess we'll see....

Well...As the article stated, he was hired not to coordinate, but to lead. Honestly, with the coordinator staff he has, he's in a good position to succeed. I don't like Mike McCoy, no secret there, but landing Bill Musgrave as QB's coach is huge. Joe Woods will do a very good job with the defensive side of the ball so really he doesn't need to coordinate anything, he just needs to lead. And by all accounts he's a people person and a hell of a leader so if that's all we need out of him and he lets his coordinators do their job we're fine.

NightTerror218
01-17-2017, 12:49 PM
You dont need a great x and o guy to be a great HC. You hite coordinators for a reason.

Cugel
01-17-2017, 01:45 PM
The guys didn't go down kicking and screaming this year. Hopefully Vance changes that.

The team won their last game against the Raiders, even though it was meaningless. That shows they ain't dead yet.

Cugel
01-17-2017, 01:51 PM

Basically, this is my attitude. But, in defense of Elway, Kyle Shanahan wouldn't be able to bring Matt Ryan or Julio Jones or that Atlanta OL with him. His success in Atlanta may simply be proof of the NFL truism, that as long as you have a top 5 QB you can win SBs. You can say he saved Matt Ryan's career, but Ryan was drafted #3 overall, so it's expected that he would develop into a top QB.

The same cannot be said of either Trevor Siemian or Paxton Lynch, neither of who were considered top prospects (Wentz and Goff were the top QBs drafted ahead of Lynch and Siemian was so poor a prospect some scouting departments didn't even bother to scout him at all).

Joel
01-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Well...As the article stated, he was hired not to coordinate, but to lead.
Hence my first line:
Success is the ultimate leadership metric, and Vance Joseph's had precious little playoff success.

Honestly, with the coordinator staff he has, he's in a good position to succeed. I don't like Mike McCoy, no secret there, but landing Bill Musgrave as QB's coach is huge. Joe Woods will do a very good job with the defensive side of the ball so really he doesn't need to coordinate anything, he just needs to lead. And by all accounts he's a people person and a hell of a leader so if that's all we need out of him and he lets his coordinators do their job we're fine.
We already HAD a guy who was just a cheerleader while his coordinators did all the work of actually RUNNING the team; have we forgotten how well that DIDN'T work? That we brought in Kubiak because we tired of bulldozing a dozen regular season games but losing to every GOOD team we played, then getting sent home in our very first playoff game because our opponent had a coach and we had a "people person"?

This idea great chief executives don't do anything but scout the best subordinates to whom they can delegate the organizations day-to-day functions just isn't supported by the historical record. What's more, there's NO evidence Vance Joseph could do that even if it WERE a chief executives job: Not only does he have no head coaching experience, he didn't even have COORDINATOR experience before this year. He always looks like the smartest guy in a room full of twenty-year-olds who didn't finish college, but so does every other college grad in his forties.

Sure, head coaches need to find good subordinates, because most of them are much stronger in some areas than others, they can't be everywhere at once, and trying ends up in a hospital room or emotional retirement speech. But the last head "coach" who won a championship by simply hiring HoF coordinators and staying out of their way was probably Jim Lee Howell.

Simple Jaded
01-17-2017, 02:37 PM
I think John Elway wants the HC that lets his coordinators run their side of the ball, Joel.

And yes, it did work.

Joel
01-17-2017, 02:43 PM
Basically, this is my attitude. But, in defense of Elway, Kyle Shanahan wouldn't be able to bring Matt Ryan or Julio Jones or that Atlanta OL with him. His success in Atlanta may simply be proof of the NFL truism, that as long as you have a top 5 QB you can win SBs. You can say he saved Matt Ryan's career, but Ryan was drafted #3 overall, so it's expected that he would develop into a top QB.
Yet he never did, and now he's a leading NFL MVP candidate in his second year under Shanahan: That's an even better argument that even the best NFL QB isn't much without a line to protect him and provide the run support that prevents him living in 3rd and long. That didn't start with Shanahan, no; Atlanta spent a 1st round pick on one of Bruce Matthews' sons to play LT before Shanahan even arrived, but he was there when they brought in BOTH starting Gs last year plus Alex Mack at C this year, and the difference between the 6-10 2014 Falcons vs. the 11-5 squad hosting next weeks NFCCG is striking.

The same cannot be said of either Trevor Siemian or Paxton Lynch, neither of who were considered top prospects (Wentz and Goff were the top QBs drafted ahead of Lynch and Siemian was so poor a prospect some scouting departments didn't even bother to scout him at all).
The proof's in the pudding; at least around here, people were talking at least as much about Lynch as Wentz and Goff going into the last draft, and right now both he AND Siemian look like better prospects than Goff.

No, Shanahan couldn't bring Ryan or Julio Jones, but I doubt he'd need (or possibly even WANT) the former, and we already have DT and Emmanuel Sanders locked up for the foreseeable future. Just as importantly, Shanahan, like his father before him, has past successful experience as both a WR and then a QB coach, so could develop both, and we desperately need a coach who can develop SOMEONE into a franchise QB right now. We just as desperately need someone who can build a line like Kubiak and Shanahans Texans or Quinn and Shanahans Falcons have.

Vance Joseph doesn't look like that guy, and I'm just as concerned that having all of Wades former assistant coaches (Joseph foremost among them) is a poor substitute for The Man Himself.

Joel
01-17-2017, 02:44 PM
I think John Elway wants the HC that lets his coordinators run their side of the ball, Joel.

And yes, it did work.
Then why did Elway fire him? Or "mutually decide to end their association" (yeah, right.)

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Being a leader of men is much more than just being a cheerleader Joel.

Joel
01-17-2017, 03:37 PM
Being a leader of men is much more than just being a cheerleader Joel.
Precisely my point.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-17-2017, 03:44 PM
Precisely my point.

Very well then.

Hawgdriver
01-17-2017, 06:12 PM
Then why did Elway fire him? Or "mutually decide to end their association" (yeah, right.)

Wait, who did Elway fire? My understanding is that at most, he fired Dennison.

NightTerror218
01-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Wow joel hates a guy he does know anything about.

This is a poor example but our former DC allen was a coordinator for a ye or two beofre was a hc for raiders.

Fox was a laid back unengaging coach. He briahed everything off. When you have #1 offense and #1 defense in league and you are one and done. Then another year have the beat offense in league and get plowed in SB because its just another game. Joel i doibt vance and fox are alike in anyway.

Being a leader of men does not mean being a likeable coach who cant coach. This locker road could very well eat shanahan alive if he was not a loclerroom type of coach. Talib harris wolfe would eat a weak coach alive.

Joel
01-17-2017, 07:14 PM
Wait, who did Elway fire? My understanding is that at most, he fired Dennison.
Fox, and no, HE didn't work out: Never has and still hasn't.

Wow joel hates a guy he does know anything about.
I know this is his third one-and-done season, with his only playoffs wins coming under Kubiak and Wade, he's never been a HC and had never even been a coordinator until now. Which is why those things are all ANYONE knows about him yet apart from the "leader of men" line that sounds great but says NOTHING.

I hope he makes me a believer; there's little tangible evidence either way. But what little record exists isn't encouraging.

Broncoknight30
01-18-2017, 08:27 AM

Yeah, but Kyle Shanahan worked wonders with RGIII and had a top 10 offense even with all of the crap that went on in Washington in 2013. He also made Matt Schaub look good. He had a top 5 offense in Houston with him.

Matt Ryan has been a solid B QB in the NFL. I do not think he was at the Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady status at any time in his career. Now, all of a sudden he is a legit MVP candidate under Shanahan.

Basically, everywhere Kyle Shanahan has been, the offense has been dynamic. Regardless of who the QB was.

Cugel
01-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Yeah, but Kyle Shanahan worked wonders with RGIII and had a top 10 offense even with all of the crap that went on in Washington in 2013. He also made Matt Schaub look good. He had a top 5 offense in Houston with him.

Matt Ryan has been a solid B QB in the NFL. I do not think he was at the Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady status at any time in his career. Now, all of a sudden he is a legit MVP candidate under Shanahan.

Basically, everywhere Kyle Shanahan has been, the offense has been dynamic. Regardless of who the QB was.

Yes. Kyle Shanahan was the top coordinator in the NFL right now. But, the point is he wouldn't be a coordinator here, but head coach. You're not getting Kyle Shanahan to serve as OC for Kyle Shanahan the head coach. It doesn't necessarily translate. That's why Wade Philips is such a great DC, but terrible head coach.

We'll see what happens. But, I'd be surprised if SF suddenly became an offensive juggernaut because Kyle Shanahan went there, unless somehow he resurrects Colin Kaepernick's career, 'cause Blaine Gabbert certainly isn't the answer.

Broncoknight30
01-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Yes. Kyle Shanahan was the top coordinator in the NFL right now. But, the point is he wouldn't be a coordinator here, but head coach. You're not getting Kyle Shanahan to serve as OC for Kyle Shanahan the head coach. It doesn't necessarily translate. That's why Wade Philips is such a great DC, but terrible head coach.

We'll see what happens. But, I'd be surprised if SF suddenly became an offensive juggernaut because Kyle Shanahan went there, unless somehow he resurrects Colin Kaepernick's career, 'cause Blaine Gabbert certainly isn't the answer.

Yeah true. It is not a guarantee that Kyle Shanahan would be a good head coach. We don't know. With wade Philips it took a few jobs to figure it out. Btw, not for nothing, but Philips was not as bad of a head coach as we think. He made the play offs and his teams were never that bad. 1994 season not withstanding. I think his big mistake with the Broncos was a DC Charlie Waters who did not run what wade Philips runs. Which actually makes your point.

Yeah, we do not know what kind of HC shanahan will be. I am guessing he would hire an OC that fits his philosophy and I am betting he will have a lot of say in it. He may even call plays.

Never know.

Joel
01-18-2017, 07:01 PM

That's a great example of why giving Wade a well-earned raise was a no-brainer. No, great coordinators aren't always great head coaches (more often just the opposite,) because coordinators almost invariably grasp one phase of the game FAR better than the other three, which is why they need OTHER great coordinators to be successful head coaches. Running with Wades career: How many teams had a bad defense while he was their head coach?

I'll go out on a limb and say Kyle Shanahan recognizes his fathers fatal flaw: Total incompetence to either run a DEFENSE or even find coordinators who can. He could well become the latest in a long line of great OCs who become HCs that average 30 PF/gm while allowing 35 PA. But after a front row seat watching defensive failure reduce his father from "repeat champion" to "retired" and Wade transform the Texans from "great offense" to "legit contender" I think he's learned that harsh lesson.

I just hope he can restrain his ambition long enough to avoid the dumpster fire that is SF. I've had more than enough of ambitious youngsters in doomed chief executive positions for which they're woefully unprepared (though that's still better than senile elderly people doing the same.)

MOtorboat
01-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Joel mad.

slim
01-18-2017, 07:11 PM
The new coaching staff is a little confusing. I wonder what they are planning to run?

I guess maybe a move to the spread/shotgun would mean they are all in on Lynch?

MOtorboat
01-18-2017, 07:13 PM
The new coaching staff is a little confusing. I wonder what they are planning to run?

I guess maybe a move to the spread would mean they are all in on Lynch?

McCoy has been known to run just about anything, but it's definitely likely to be a power run scheme (generally) and a vertical passing game based on levels and seams (generally). Plus bubble screens! Just for UR.

Joel
01-18-2017, 07:20 PM

I guess maybe a move to the spread/shotgun would mean they are all in on Lynch?
Dear, God, no gimmicky college offenses. I don't think much of McCoy, but a lot more than THAT.

MOtorboat
01-18-2017, 07:23 PM
Dear, God, no gimmicky college offenses. I don't think much of McCoy, but a lot more than THAT.

Because the Patriots' spread scheme sure looks like a gimmick.

:rolleyes:

Simple Jaded
01-18-2017, 07:27 PM
**** the P*triots!

You peoples P*triot envy is getting old.

Joel
01-18-2017, 07:36 PM
Because the Patriots' spread scheme sure looks like a gimmick.

:rolleyes:
It's the ULTIMATE gimmick, and we already tried it under McDumbass: All it got us was a 4-12 record and a $50,000 fine for cheating (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Denver_Broncos_season#Videotaping_scandal). Name three other places a spread offense has "won" an NFL championship—Hell, name ONE. Guess Belicheat's just the ONLY one who knows how to run it; he's a god among mortals.... :rolleyes:

MOtorboat
01-18-2017, 07:40 PM
I love how any mention of a spread just pisses people off. Well, McCoy is likely to use some of its principles, so you should just probably sit back and relax.

Poet
01-18-2017, 07:44 PM
Isn't the spread offense when you send out so many threats to the edges that the defense has far fewer guys on the LOS and guys directly behind them?

Joel
01-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Isn't the spread offense when you send out so many threats to the edges that the defense has far fewer guys on the LOS and guys directly behind them?You're thinking of the Run 'n Shoot: The spread is the ******* child of that and Wishbone. Which apparently makes the Cheats' inability to run a "spread" offense (I guess if you squint Tom Bradys 20 yd TD runs look like Cam Newtons.)

Broncoknight30
01-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Yes the spread offense is not a Pats thing. It was actually what Urban Meyer ran at Utah and used a version of it at UF and yes took advantage of Tebows running ability. Belichick actually took his entire staff (offensive) to Gainsville to learn the principles. Joe Tiller also ran a version of the "basketball on grass" at Purdue with Brees and Orton. Although it was always more of a power running game than what Tiller ran. In fact Meyer took many aspects and philosophies from what Scott Linehan ran.

The Pats have been a bit more committed to a power running game in their offense. They were 7th in the league in running this year.

Fact is that is the school of Mccoy. Hopefully Lynch will be that guy.

MOtorboat
01-18-2017, 09:00 PM
There's a reason Belicheck has been inviting Chip Kelly and Urban Meyer to his facility.

Joel
01-18-2017, 09:55 PM
There's a reason Belicheck has been inviting Chip Kelly and Urban Meyer to his facility.
If there's one thing the Run 'n Shoot, Option and ESPECIALLY Chip Kelly prove, it's that what works in the SECAA translates seamlessly to the NFL.

Poet
01-18-2017, 10:08 PM
If there's one thing the Run 'n Shoot, Option and ESPECIALLY Chip Kelly prove, it's that what works in the SECAA translates seamlessly to the NFL.

It's going to be more about specific principles and nuances and not an entire system.

dogfish
01-18-2017, 10:23 PM

mccoy comes from an erhardt-perkins background. . .

Mike McCoy and Ken Whisenhunt are cut from the same coaching cloth. Both are disciples of the Ron Erhardt-Ray Perkins school, which is the same coaching lineage that drives some of the NFL's most successful offenses including the Saints and Patriots. At the heart of the offense is concept-based play-calling, which greatly simplifies the calls and allows the quarterback to get plays distributed with incredible efficiency. Rather than calling out a string of alpha-numeric code words, the offense uses one and two word designations.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=woodcoachingphilosophychanges1 3

http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

end of the day, we'll have passes and runs-- mostly the same ones everyone else is running. . . i don't think the system matters much-- either lynch can play, or he can't. . .

Joel
01-18-2017, 10:59 PM
It's going to be more about specific principles and nuances and not an entire system.
Nuance is for godless communists. :tsk:

Hawgdriver
01-18-2017, 11:00 PM
Joel mad.

Joel, study this post. In seriousness.

Poet
01-18-2017, 11:01 PM
Nuance is for godless communists. :tsk:

I like John Rawls. Is that the same thing?

Hawgdriver
01-18-2017, 11:03 PM
mccoy comes from an erhardt-perkins background. . .

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=woodcoachingphilosophychanges1 3

http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

end of the day, we'll have passes and runs-- mostly the same ones everyone else is running. . . i don't think the system matters much-- either lynch can play, or he can't. . .

Dear baby Jesus I hope he's a baller. Maybe we need to float Siemian and just see what he brings. Totally not a championship move, but... Then again, maybe Siemian takes a big step. I'm fine either way. Elway though, I wonder what he's thinking.

Hawgdriver
01-18-2017, 11:04 PM

I want to vacation for a week with Ernie. That would be so dope.

Joel
01-18-2017, 11:19 PM
Joel, study this post. In seriousness.
What's to study: It's two words. Says I'm angry, nuts or both. I don't deny displeasure at our postseason coaching decisions, but that's because I thought a World Championship a good start to a Kubiak-Phillips Era I didn't want aborted, and didn't think 9-7 in a tough division with a sophomore 7th round first time starter the end of the world. Bringing in Joseph and back McCoy feels like a bad combination of McDumbass+Fox (which you have to admit would be a bad combo.)

*shrugs* Is what it is; my dream team's gone, but it's out of my control and always was.

Hawgdriver
01-18-2017, 11:20 PM
What's to study: It's two words. Says I'm angry, nuts or both. I don't deny displeasure at our postseason coaching decisions, but that's because I thought a World Championship a good start to a Kubiak-Phillips Era I didn't want aborted, and didn't think 9-7 in a tough division with a sophomore 7th round first time starter the end of the world. Bringing in Joseph and back McCoy feels like a bad combination of McDumbass+Fox (which you have to admit would be a bad combo.)

*shrugs* Is what it is; my dream team's gone, but it's out of my control and always was.

What is to study? Brevity, wit, and effectiveness on the medium for the intended audience.

Joel
01-18-2017, 11:54 PM
What is to study? Brevity, wit, and effectiveness on the medium for the intended audience.
Recycling memes (http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/31854-u-mad) isn't witty, however brief and medium appropriate.

Hawgdriver
01-18-2017, 11:57 PM
Recycling memes (http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/31854-u-mad) isn't witty, however brief and medium appropriate.

Dispute at your own peril. I elected otherwise. This isn't BroncosEssays. Not that your content isn't worthy, it's just a medium thing.

Ok, maybe sometimes my talker gets juiced up and I have to jaw on about a thing...but in general...

<3

Joel
01-19-2017, 12:05 AM
Dispute at your own peril. I elected otherwise. This isn't BroncosEssays. Not that your content isn't worthy, it's just a medium thing.

Ok, maybe sometimes my talker gets juiced up and I have to jaw on about a thing...but in general...

<3
Hey, the medium was literally created SOLELY to transmit huge amounts of detailed data in text format. I'm just old school, know what I'm sayin? ;)

Simple Jaded
01-19-2017, 01:49 AM
I love how any mention of a spread just pisses people off. Well, McCoy is likely to use some of its principles, so you should just probably sit back and relax.

I've been sitting back and relaxing for years, youve heard next nothing from me...at least not like the whining about Kubiak's system for for two years.

I'm well aware of the principles McCoy is bringing with him, I just don't have a hardon for everything New England P*triots.

Edit, btw, Broncos have been using principles of the spread for decades.

Joel
01-19-2017, 02:08 AM
ALL coaches uses PRINCIPLES of MANY systems. Having QBs obscure handoffs with their backs to the line instead of facing it was a KEY principle of T-QBs (especially since they still ran a lot themselves, so it was an open question which player had the ball when the QB turned to face the line again.)

No one runs that 76-year-old SYSTEM now though. There's a world of difference between using QB mobility, throwing lots of short passes, running lots of 4/5-WR sets and throwing to RBs a lot vs. a full scale spread offense. Either that, or the '49ers ran a "spread offense" with Young and GB ran one with Favre (and Rodgers.)

Joel
01-19-2017, 02:49 AM
I like John Rawls. Is that the same thing?
Needs more moral and cultural relativism. And cowbell; always cowbell.