PDA

View Full Version : OC McCoy

NightTerror218
01-11-2017, 11:27 PM
Not sure how accurate but say broncos set to hite McCoy

http://www.milehighreport.com/2017/1/11/14247366/report-broncos-will-hire-mike-mccoy-to-be-their-offensive-coordinator

pnbronco
01-11-2017, 11:36 PM
Oh man hide the puppies, kitties and matches from UR.....:behindsofa:

Timmy!
01-12-2017, 04:33 AM
If true, i will join Buff as the only people being ok with this.

slim
01-12-2017, 07:15 AM
Hmmmm

Dapper Dan
01-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Bubble screen to DT FTW.

MasterShake
01-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Well McCoy was able to get the "best" out of Tebow and win a playoff game with him, so I am ok with this if true. All I know is that whatever the hell Kubiak was trying to run was archaic and fooled no one. The last 2 years were a waste on offense, especially considering that we had a historic one not too long ago. Not saying Siemian and Lynch can pull off what Peyton did, but the dropoff was ridiculous. If we can get back to a Plummer level of offensive production I'd be over the moon as long as we have a great defense.

I Eat Staples
01-12-2017, 03:59 PM

I'm not NOT okay with it, although I am surprised and it doesn't exactly get me excited either.

Cugel
01-12-2017, 04:04 PM
If he's at all successful, he'll get another Head coaching opportunity next year.

Frankly, I'm not sure why fans are so bent out of shape about this. I'm much more worried about losing Wade Phillips. They can't screw up the offense, because it's already rock bottom. But, any change for the defense can only make it worse, it can't get any better from being one of the best defenses in NFL history and winning a SB.

slim
01-12-2017, 04:05 PM
I wish I had a crystal ball.

Valar Morghulis
01-12-2017, 05:39 PM
I wish I had a crystal ball.

Use your gristle balls

TXBRONC
01-12-2017, 05:43 PM
If he's at all successful, he'll get another Head coaching opportunity next year.

Frankly, I'm not sure why fans are so bent out of shape about this. I'm much more worried about losing Wade Phillips. They can't screw up the offense, because it's already rock bottom. But, any change for the defense can only make it worse, it can't get any better from being one of the best defenses in NFL history and winning a SB.

Maybe, right now I doubt it because McCoy will only be one year removed from the cluster ______ that he presided over the past five seasons. Teams are not going to be inclined to give him another bite of the apple that quickly.

slim
01-12-2017, 05:44 PM
Use your gristle balls

You use my grisly balls!

MOtorboat
01-12-2017, 07:08 PM

You're not alone.

Hawgdriver
01-12-2017, 09:02 PM
You're not alone.

Like this kind of not alone?

chazoe60
01-12-2017, 11:09 PM
I'm fine with McCoy. He has HCing experience for VJ to lean on a little if he needs to. He's a good coach. It'll be interesting to see what his playcalling is when he's not saddled with the worthless lump on a log Orton or the very limited Tebow.

Simple Jaded
01-12-2017, 11:14 PM
I'm not NOT okay with it, although I am surprised and it doesn't exactly get me excited either.

The Chargers ran shotgun formation over 90% of the time for two years in a row, not sure about last season but I imagine it's fairly similar.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-13-2017, 12:03 AM
You're not alone.

I think McCoy is a good offensive coordinator. He'll do a good job, imo.

MOtorboat
01-13-2017, 12:06 AM
The Chargers ran shotgun formation over 90% of the time for two years in a row, not sure about last season but I imagine it's fairly similar.

Sweetness!

Timmy!
01-13-2017, 12:14 AM
Sweetness!

We might wanna acquire an OL before both our qbs die on the field by week 8 if we're going full on huck it chuck it football.

Also if we dump Janovich I will burn this ****** to the ground.

dogfish
01-13-2017, 12:50 AM
Sweetness!

90%?

not enough. . . :coffee:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-13-2017, 01:04 AM
We might wanna acquire an OL before both our qbs die on the field by week 8 if we're going full on huck it chuck it football.

Also if we dump Janovich I will full this ****** to the ground.

How does one "full" something to the ground?

Timmy!
01-13-2017, 01:09 AM
How does one "full" something to the ground?

My phone hates me.

MOtorboat
01-13-2017, 01:13 AM
90%?

not enough. . . :coffee:

95% bitches. AIR RAID!

underrated29
01-13-2017, 01:21 AM
Don't say I never told you so......and no one better blame his ineptitude on the OL, qb, rb, fb, wr, punter, etc.

I'll give him a chance to show he has learned, but I bet come week 9 you'll all be on my side and I expect a homage handy from each of you.

This fvckin sucks FU McCoy

MOtorboat
01-13-2017, 01:24 AM
Don't say I never told you so......and no one better blame his ineptitude on the OL, qb, rb, fb, wr, punter, etc.

I'll give him a chance to show he has learned, but I bet come week 9 you'll all be on my side and I expect a homage handy from each of you.

This fvckin sucks FU McCoy

Well, our current stable of quarterbacks is awful, so I hope you're not expecting much unless things change.

dogfish
01-13-2017, 01:29 AM

if he sucks, i'm going to blame you for jinxing it. . . :coffee:

BeefStew25
01-13-2017, 01:33 AM
Is McCoy light skinned?

ShaneFalco
01-13-2017, 01:34 AM
I'm fine with McCoy. He has HCing experience for VJ to lean on a little if he needs to. He's a good coach. It'll be interesting to see what his playcalling is when he's not saddled with the worthless lump on a log Orton or the very limited Tebow.

lool he called like 50 run plays a game. blaming that on tebow.....

MOtorboat
01-13-2017, 01:34 AM

Well, he didn't want Tebow throwing it...

Simple Jaded
01-13-2017, 01:35 AM

Why do you do this to yourself?

Poet
01-13-2017, 01:37 AM
Why do you do this to yourself?

You're the same way with Kubiak...only with better punctuation.

Simple Jaded
01-13-2017, 01:40 AM
Sweetness!

Ironically, McCoy has mostly the same views on the shotgun as I do, how it limits your offense and running game. He just blames his ratio on shitty OL play.

Simple Jaded
01-13-2017, 01:41 AM
You're the same way with Kubiak...only with better punctuation.

So, Kubiak = Tebow?

Poet
01-13-2017, 01:43 AM
So, Kubiak = Tebow?

Tebow was a better player than Kubiak was a HC. Tebow, while awful, did it alone.

Simple Jaded
01-13-2017, 01:45 AM
Tebow was a better player than Kubiak was a HC. Tebow, while awful, did it alone.

Of course he did it alone, no one else knew where the ball was going.

Poet
01-13-2017, 01:47 AM

Exactly. Tebow was pure shit, but he did do stuff in an insanely bad awful way. But it got done. Kubiak just sort of was bad at offense and got carried by the defense. He's a nice leader. He once was good at being an OC. But at least Tebow was self-sufficient.

Simple Jaded
01-13-2017, 01:54 AM
Exactly. Tebow was pure shit, but he did do stuff in an insanely bad awful way. But it got done. Kubiak just sort of was bad at offense and got carried by the defense. He's a nice leader. He once was good at being an OC. But at least Tebow was self-sufficient.

Tebow got carried by his defense, sucked at literally everything and was a laughable leader.

Kubiak could suit up tomorrow and be a better QB, until his last stop he had top offenses everywhere he went and helped bring the Broncos 3 SB's, he's a lock for Ring of Fame. Best of all, he was never a greedy ****ing attention whore.

Poet
01-13-2017, 01:56 AM
Tebow got carried by his defense, sucked at literally everything and was a laughable leader.

Kubiak could suit up tomorrow and be a better QB, until his last stop he had top offenses everywhere he went and helped bring the Broncos 3 SB's, he's a lock for Ring of Fame. Best of all, he was never a greedy ****ing attention whore.

At least Tebow won a playoff game, ya dick.

He was once a great offensive mind. Once. He is a Ring of Famer. But you have no right to mock Falco when you're the same man. You hate what he is for you are that as well.

Simple Jaded
01-13-2017, 02:01 AM
At least Tebow won a playoff game, ya dick.

He was once a great offensive mind. Once. He is a Ring of Famer. But you have no right to mock Falco when you're the same man. You hate what he is for you are that as well.

I never mock Shane, I'm trying to help him. Guide him, for I am benevolent.

Poet
01-13-2017, 02:02 AM

;) ;)

MOtorboat
01-13-2017, 02:21 AM
Ironically, McCoy has mostly the same views on the shotgun as I do, how it limits your offense and running game. He just blames his ratio on shitty OL play.

Oh? Do go on, with sourced info, please.

ShaneFalco
01-13-2017, 05:03 AM

mccoy finally asked tebow to throw a slant and they beat the steelers.

underrated29
01-13-2017, 10:03 AM

And I asked him to do it for FOUR quarters

Rick
01-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Read something this morning, might not be accurate, that even if McCoy gets hired they may still be trying to bring in Musgrave as well in some role.

http://predominantlyorange.com/2017/01/13/mike-mccoy-bill-musgrave-joining-denver-broncos/

chazoe60
01-13-2017, 11:49 AM

Lol @ A. Your reading comprehensionand B. Your inability to admit that Tebow was limited.
I was as big a Tebow supporter as there is on this board and still like him greatly but even I can admit he was limited.

Cugel
01-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Maybe, right now I doubt it because McCoy will only be one year removed from the cluster ______ that he presided over the past five seasons. Teams are not going to be inclined to give him another bite of the apple that quickly.

You might think that, but just wait! It's normal for head coaches who fail with one team to get a second chance. They go back to being coordinators which they normally do well. Being a good coordinator is normally how you get a head coaching job in the first place. Then they spend a year or two as coordinator.

Then they talk about how much they learned from their previous experience.

Was there ever a bigger train wreck than Josh McMoron? Not only did he lose massively, he embarrassed the franchise with spy-gate. Yet, here he is a top head coach contender. He's likely to wind up in SF.

McCoy will get another chance - just watch and see!

Cugel
01-13-2017, 11:51 AM

Oh, snap! Now that was funny. :lol:

Traveler
01-13-2017, 01:40 PM
No updates yet on the signing of McCoy? Hopefully they haven't hit a snag in contract negotiations. Or maybe they are trying to finalize deals for both McCoy and Musgrave and will announce them simultaneously.

underrated29
01-13-2017, 01:48 PM
No updates yet on the signing of McCoy? Hopefully they haven't hit a snag in contract negotiations. Or maybe they are trying to finalize deals for both McCoy and Musgrave and will announce them simultaneously.

Im doing my best to run interference on the mccoy contract

Traveler
01-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Im doing my best to run interference on the mccoy contract

Switch that to Musgrave and I'm okay with the interference.

TXBRONC
01-13-2017, 04:03 PM
You might think that, but just wait! It's normal for head coaches who fail with one team to get a second chance. They go back to being coordinators which they normally do well. Being a good coordinator is normally how you get a head coaching job in the first place. Then they spend a year or two as coordinator.

Then they talk about how much they learned from their previous experience.

Was there ever a bigger train wreck than Josh McMoron? Not only did he lose massively, he embarrassed the franchise with spy-gate. Yet, here he is a top head coach contender. He's likely to wind up in SF.

McCoy will get another chance - just watch and see!

I'm not saying he won't ever get another chance to be a head coach, what I'm saying is that I think it is doubtful it will come after just one season.

VonDoom
01-13-2017, 04:16 PM
So we get McCoy AND Musgrave ...

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 51m51 minutes ago

Broncos finalizing offensive blockbuster: McCoy as OC; Bill Musgrave as QB coach. Big for Joseph/Elway to get that kind of talent. #9sports

DenBronx
01-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Meh....Kyle Shanahan has more offensive creativity in his big toe than those two moose knuckles put together

Rick
01-13-2017, 04:49 PM
I think it is a good effort.

I still have my doubts but at the very least his first 2 hires are experienced offensive guys.

dogfish
01-13-2017, 04:53 PM

he should feel right at home here, then. . .

I think it is a good effort.

I still have my doubts but at the very least his first 2 hires are experienced offensive guys.

it's a solid start. . . but speaking of shitty OL play, i'm anxious to see who we bring in to fix that mess. . .

Ziggy
01-13-2017, 05:13 PM
he should feel right at home here, then. . .

it's a solid start. . . but speaking of shitty OL play, i'm anxious to see who we bring in to fix that mess. . .

Looks like they're interviewing the Dolphins Oline coach today....

Ziggy
01-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Per USA Today's Bronco's Wire late 1/12/17:
The team has “mutually agreed” to part ways with offensive line coach Clancy Barone, according to KUSA-TV’s Mike Klis. A potential candidate to replace him is Jeremiah Washburn. Denver has already received permission from the Dolphins to interview Washburn, according to Klis.

Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison has also been relieved of his duties. He will be replaced by Mike McCoy, who is finalizing a deal with the Broncos.

According to Klis and KMGH-TV’s Troy Renck, special teams assistant Tony Coakum, offensive line assistant Jim Cregg and tight ends coach Brian Pariani are also gone.

Joe DeCamillis, the team’s special teams coordinator, has left to join the Jaguars. And Denver’s defensive coordinator, Wade Phillips, is leaving to join the Rams.

Eric Studesville, their running backs coach, is set to interview with the Jets for their vacant offensive coordinator position. Quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp has apparently been left in limbo—there have been no reports about his status with the team.

Ziggy
01-13-2017, 05:44 PM
Mike Klis Verified account 
‏@MikeKlis
Broncos will also interview Derius Swinton II for ST coordinator. Swinton was Jeff Rodgers asst ST coach with Broncos from 2013-14. #9sports

Mike Klis Verified account 
‏@MikeKlis
Broncos received permission from Dolphins to interview Marwan Maalouf for special teams coordinator. He's asst ST coach in Miami. #9sports

ST coaches being looked at.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m

#Broncos make it official. Mike McCoy is their new offensive coordinator. @DenverChannel

VonDoom
01-13-2017, 06:22 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 16m16 minutes ago

Vance Joseph on McCoy: “Mike is an experienced play-caller who can build a system around our players.”

BroncoWave
01-13-2017, 06:22 PM
Meh....Kyle Shanahan has more offensive creativity in his big toe than those two moose knuckles put together

So why is no one hiring him this offseason?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2017, 06:53 PM

I don't think Kyle can be hired until Atlanta is eliminated. Also, I don't think SF has hired a new HC yet.

Simple Jaded
01-13-2017, 09:19 PM
Oh? Do go on, with sourced info, please.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/175095/chargers-plan-to-use-fewer-shotgun-snaps-in-2015

Simple Jaded
01-13-2017, 09:24 PM

You mean McCoy finally MADE him throw a slant, Teebs was a bed wetter, he threw 3 routes consistently and only one of those routes to his right. You can go back and watch for yourself if you're ever in the mood for an epiphany.

I Eat Staples
01-13-2017, 10:03 PM
We're getting Musgrave for QB coach? That's pretty awesome, I thought he'd be more likely to get a HC position than end up basically taking a demotion, but I like that move a lot for us.

BroncoWave
01-13-2017, 10:30 PM
I don't think Kyle can be hired until Atlanta is eliminated. Also, I don't think SF has hired a new HC yet.

Yes, I'm quite aware of that. But if he were really such a can't miss candidate, teams would wait for him. Everything seems to be pointing toward SF hiring McD, but I guess we'll see.

MasterShake
01-14-2017, 12:16 AM
We're getting Musgrave for QB coach? That's pretty awesome, I thought he'd be more likely to get a HC position than end up basically taking a demotion, but I like that move a lot for us.

Sounds like Elway wants to make the QB competition fair so that means McCoy and Musgrave will be flexible with Paxton and Trevor which is cool. I also wonder if getting Musgrave in there makes it easy to slide him up to OC if he works out? I can't imagine McCoy will be here long if he still has HC aspirations.

NightTerror218
01-14-2017, 12:18 AM
McCoy makea senseas a former HC to go with vance. Help him with transition and experience. I l9ve musgrave hite. QB coach and we just snagged the raiders OC and he took demotion. Wow.

pnbronco
01-14-2017, 12:35 AM
Sounds like Elway wants to make the QB competition fair so that means McCoy and Musgrave will be flexible with Paxton and Trevor which is cool. I also wonder if getting Musgrave in there makes it easy to slide him up to OC if he works out? I can't imagine McCoy will be here long if he still has HC aspirations.

I'm thinking the same thing Shake. You get a OC that deep down wants to be a HC sooner than later. Then you have a QB coach that can take over....

MOtorboat
01-14-2017, 04:33 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/175095/chargers-plan-to-use-fewer-shotgun-snaps-in-2015

Well then. That's disappointing. He's seemed to balk at the 1960s bullshit.

Rick
01-14-2017, 05:21 AM
I like the combo signings. Neither pick is sexy, I don't find either guy to be especially aggressive, but between the 2 of them maybe we can build a sound offense. We will call it the west coast spread.

chazoe60
01-14-2017, 09:31 AM
I like the combo signings. Neither pick is sexy, I don't find either guy to be especially aggressive, but between the 2 of them maybe we can build a sound offense. We will call it the west coast spread.

The Spread Coast

VonDoom
01-14-2017, 09:43 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 8m8 minutes ago

Vance Joseph continues to assemble All Star staff. Agent source says highly respected Jeff Davidson is expected to be O-line coach. #9sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 6m6 minutes ago

Jeff Davidson a former Bronco offensive lineman (1990-93). He's about to enter 23rd season as NFL coach. Last year with Chargers. #9sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 3m3 minutes ago

Jeff Davidson coached for Broncos new OC Mike McCoy last year. Both were on John Fox's staff in Carolina, 2007-08. #9sports

TXBRONC
01-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m

#Broncos make it official. Mike McCoy is their new offensive coordinator. @DenverChannel

Does Under know? I hope someone in the Denver area can go check up on him.

Nomad
01-14-2017, 10:32 AM
Yes, I'm quite aware of that. But if he were really such a can't miss candidate, teams would wait for him. Everything seems to be pointing toward SF hiring McD, but I guess we'll see.

SF wants to hire a HC & GM combo (at the same time). Reports are a McDaniel/Riddick combo, and Steve Young endorses Riddick. Also, McDaniels will try to trade for Garopollo. Some shock jock came up with the idea of a Shanahan/Shanahan combo (Kyle HC & Mike GM), and a lot of the fan base has jumped on this bandwagon. It's not a bad gig with #2 pick and $78 million in cap space, and a HC/GM can rebuild as they wish.

Nomad
01-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Or this could be a possibility for Kyle Shanahan........ http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/13/bill-obrien-whatever-the-future-holds-it-holds/ I expect the Patriots to win convincingly.

DenBronx
01-14-2017, 04:29 PM

Honestly, I think it's bad timing. Only SF is left and I think it comes down to him and Josh McDaniels. Kyle should really consider staying in Atlanta at least another year. Maybe next year he will have a better door open for him. Let Josh McDick go to that dumpster fire in SF.

Cugel
01-17-2017, 01:44 PM
Honestly, I think it's bad timing. Only SF is left and I think it comes down to him and Josh McDaniels. Kyle should really consider staying in Atlanta at least another year. Maybe next year he will have a better door open for him. Let Josh McDick go to that dumpster fire in SF.

McMoron has ruled himself out of SF. The Patriots are going to win every year. He loses nothing by waiting for the best possible opportunity, since as long as they have Brady, their offense is going to be great, in which case he'll remain in demand as a potential Head Coach.

He just has to come up with convincing answers to questions like "why did you suck so horribly in Denver that they hate you still to this day?" or "what were you thinking ordering your assistant coaches to keep quiet about your taping opposing teams without their knowledge on pain of getting fired?" Or, "why should we think you will suck less if we bring you here and give you another chance?"

BroncoJoe
01-17-2017, 02:02 PM
I thought this thread was about McCoy?

Dapper Dan
01-17-2017, 03:59 PM
I thought this thread was about McCoy?

Who?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-17-2017, 04:14 PM
Who?

The real McCoy

Dapper Dan
01-17-2017, 04:53 PM
The real McCoy

The Neal McCoy?

The Glue Factory
01-17-2017, 04:58 PM
The Neal McCoy?

Dr. "He's dead, Jim." McCoy

ShaneFalco
09-11-2018, 11:55 PM
tebow made this dude. Cardinals O looked awful

Hawgdriver
09-11-2018, 11:57 PM
Is he an assistant out there?

ShaneFalco
09-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Is he an assistant out there?

he is the cards offensive coordinator

Hawgdriver
09-13-2018, 09:19 PM
he is the cards offensive coordinator

I guess his pitch for the job is off the charts.

underrated29
09-13-2018, 11:41 PM
He sucks so so badly. Just the worst. So glad he is gone.

FanInAZ
09-14-2018, 01:23 AM

Most of the blame for the Cards' O state of affairs falls on their FO who should've been looking for Palmer's replacement at least 2 years ago when it was clear to everyone but them that they needed to move on. So, being complete unprepared for a retirement that should've happened years ago, they bring in a veteran QB who has never experienced a winning season in the NFL as a starting QB* as a stop gap for the QBotF that they finally drafted this year.

*Being 2-0 last season because he had 1 good game & 1 game he got bailed out by Keenum doesn't count.

Poet
09-14-2018, 11:28 AM
He's not as good as I thought him to be. I still don't think he is horrid, though.

underrated29
09-14-2018, 11:51 AM
He is the worst. Saw it coming miles and years away. No one listened. We finally learned our lesson. The chargers learned theirs. The cards will soon learn theirs. People had such low opinions of tebow that they thought because we won it was mccoy calling run plays over and over was genius. Or the OT play against the steel was genuis when I was saying in the first quarter we should do that. He is bad. He is bob slowick bad......Ok, he is not as bad as Bob slowick, but he is bad. Very very bad Mr. King.

Freyaka
09-14-2018, 11:54 AM

I remember people being excited when we brought him back last year...Like, seriously? Do you not remember how bad we all hated him before he left the last time? Are your memories that short? It amazed me how no one outside of maybe you and I actually hated him coming back.

NightTerror218
09-14-2018, 11:26 PM
I remember people being excited when we brought him back last year...Like, seriously? Do you not remember how bad we all hated him before he left the last time? Are your memories that short? It amazed me how no one outside of maybe you and I actually hated him coming back.

So are you saying Tebow could have been good with a different OC? :couch:

Cugel
09-15-2018, 04:16 AM
He is the worst. Saw it coming miles and years away. No one listened. We finally learned our lesson. The chargers learned theirs. The cards will soon learn theirs. People had such low opinions of tebow that they thought because we won it was mccoy calling run plays over and over was genius. Or the OT play against the steel was genuis when I was saying in the first quarter we should do that. He is bad. He is bob slowick bad......Ok, he is not as bad as Bob slowick, but he is bad. Very very bad Mr. King.

Oh, there is no denying that! McCoy is the worst. So, verrry, verrrrrrrrry bad!

Last year they had two wildly inexperienced and incredibly shaky and marginally capable QBs. To get through a season with Trevor Siemian, and Paxton Lynch.

Then top it off with Brock Osweiler, who was so bad once he got his chance at a starting role that they hate him wildly to this day in Houston.

So, with that trio of QBs, and a shaky offensive line, the only logical thing to do would be to run the ball as well as they could, and get the ball out of Siemians' hands as quickly as possible - absolutely within 2.5 seconds, perferrably within 2 seconds at the latest.

Because that 2.0 seconds was absolutely the most time that crapp-tastic OL could block an ordinary DL. But, the Broncos played 6 divisional games against Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram, Kalil Mack and Justin Houston, so it was actually less than 2.0 seconds much of the time.

And what did Captain Genius call in that highly questionable situation? He called a series of 5 step and 7 step drops and shot-gun. He called pass plays like he still had Phillip Rivers, a 15 year veteran QB who handles pressure and gets rid of the ball vastly better than Trevor Siemian, or Osweiler.

He was auditioning for a new head coaching job is exactly what he was doing. And he knew that he could never hope to secure said head coaching job if he simply ran the kind of dink-and-dunk, and run the ball more offense his QBs were capable of.

He needed to do something more spectacular to draw NFL GM's attention. It might not work, but it was his only shot to impress other GMs.

Idiot!

He was so bad and so intransigent and refused game after game to change anything.

Elway would go to Joseph and say "what are you doing? Our QBs are getting killed out there! What the hell are you calling those 5 and 7 step drops out there for? We need to run the ball more! Take shorter drops and get the ball out of Siemians' hands faster!"

And all Joseph could do was shrug and say "this is what Mike wants to run. I'll go have a talk with him."

And Joseph would go talk with Mike and they'd hash it out and reach agreement, but then when the game-time came around, somehow nothing had changed.

It got so bad that they had to completely Fire McCoy in mid-season and Elway was so disgusted with Joseph's inability to control his own assistant coaches that he almost fired Joseph, before "sleeping on it" and re-considering his decision in the morning.

All because of Mike McCoy. That's how bad he was!

Its such a treat to have a coordinator like Bill Musgrave. He's likely to get a head coaching job after this season if his offense is as well run as it was in the first game.

ShaneFalco
09-16-2018, 07:10 PM
The Cards offense crossed midfield once today - the 2nd to last play of the game.

FanInAZ
09-16-2018, 07:50 PM
The Cards offense crossed midfield once today - the 2nd to last play of the game.

They're still better then they were during the 3 seasons between Warner & Palmer because Bradford is at least smart enough to throw it to Fitz.

Ground Control
09-16-2018, 08:10 PM
One of Elway's biggest mistakes. I heard VJ was leading the call to hire him as well, so his bad too. McCoy is a ***** that is running a system that can only succeed with Tom Brady. I'm not positive but I believe every single Bellidick HC derivative is a loser in the win-loss column. Bellidick's system gave NE it's first few seasons of success. The league would have caught up and he would be a footnote, if it weren't for Brady...and Brady's relative unselfishness regarding pay (allowing the team to keep winners over the years). McCoy may one day have the cerebral puppet he needs in Rosen but I doubt he survives as an OC in Arizona long enough to see it. He is not an offensive coordinator; An OC would coach up every player and coach under him. He is a DB that refuses to open his mind during a game, or season, to do anything but continue on his course, which he thinks is infallible. In his world, his career has been a plague of teams that fail to live up to his greatness, as apposed to a string of teams that got ****** by their GMS and hired him. Connections and ego still rule in the NFL, so he still has a job. Even leaving behind his responsibilities as THE leader of the offense, his mortally antiquated and rigid-as-a-corpse play calling sucks. Period.

Soooooo glad he is gone and we get to win against him this year. A freebee, IMO.

Freyaka
09-17-2018, 08:31 AM
So are you saying Tebow could have been good with a different OC? :couch:

I'm saying that cobbling together a college system isn't as impressive as everyone made it out to be and he was vastly, vastly overrated.

BeefStew25
09-17-2018, 08:33 AM
Tebow beat the Steelers.

Davii
09-17-2018, 09:03 AM
One of Elway's biggest mistakes. I heard VJ was leading the call to hire him as well, so his bad too. McCoy is a ***** that is running a system that can only succeed with Tom Brady. I'm not positive but I believe every single Bellidick HC derivative is a loser in the win-loss column. Bellidick's system gave NE it's first few seasons of success. The league would have caught up and he would be a footnote, if it weren't for Brady...and Brady's relative unselfishness regarding pay (allowing the team to keep winners over the years). McCoy may one day have the cerebral puppet he needs in Rosen but I doubt he survives as an OC in Arizona long enough to see it. He is not an offensive coordinator; An OC would coach up every player and coach under him. He is a DB that refuses to open his mind during a game, or season, to do anything but continue on his course, which he thinks is infallible. In his world, his career has been a plague of teams that fail to live up to his greatness, as apposed to a string of teams that got ****** by their GMS and hired him. Connections and ego still rule in the NFL, so he still has a job. Even leaving behind his responsibilities as THE leader of the offense, his mortally antiquated and rigid-as-a-corpse play calling sucks. Period.

Soooooo glad he is gone and we get to win against him this year. A freebee, IMO.

Head coaches pick their assistants, not the GM (or EVPFO as it were). So, other than Elway being the guy who hired VJ, how is McCoy Elway's fault?

Davii
09-17-2018, 09:04 AM
Tebow beat the Steelers.

DT beat the Steelers

ShaneFalco
09-17-2018, 09:10 AM
Tebow beat the Steelers.

tebow and peyton made mike mccoy

VonDoom
09-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Head coaches pick their assistants, not the GM (or EVPFO as it were). So, other than Elway being the guy who hired VJ, how is McCoy Elway's fault?

I would say that as part of the interview process, HC candidates talk about who they want as coordinators. I’m sure Elway was aware that McCoy was a guy VJ wanted

dogfish
09-17-2018, 06:09 PM
this comment resonates with some of what we heard about mccoy last year when we shitcanned him. . .

[Head coach Steve Wilks] said that the team will also be scaled back in terms of the amount of plays that they have in the mix from week to week.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/17/steve-wilks-has-total-confidence-in-mike-mccoy/#comments

Elevation inc
09-19-2018, 09:25 AM
this comment resonates with some of what we heard about mccoy last year when we shitcanned him. . .

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/17/steve-wilks-has-total-confidence-in-mike-mccoy/#comments

I have heard lots of rumblings via message boards(could just be dumb rumors) that Bradford cant handle such extensive play calling and the McCoy is losing players confidence, by not getting DJ the ball. Thats typical dink and dunk we saw here, along with avoiding the run like the plague trying to get cute after Trevor's usually 2nd int lol. I think Bradford's YPA is like 3.8 or something right now.....ouch!

dogfish
09-20-2018, 12:21 PM
It has been enough for them to pare back the playbook to focus on fewer plays when they face the Bears this Sunday. Bradford explained what the team hopes will happen as a result of this change.

“Just make sure that the plays that we have in the game plan everyone’s comfortable with versus multiple looks,” Bradford said, via the Associated Press. “Just really feel like we own the plays that are in the game that week as opposed to having so many calls on the sheet that maybe we know them but we’re not owning them the way that we should. I think the thought is just allow everyone to go out there and play faster, simplify everything a little bit and hopefully it shows up in the speed in which we play.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/20/sam-bradford-hopes-scaled-down-offense-changes-frustrating-start/

Poet
09-20-2018, 02:55 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/20/sam-bradford-hopes-scaled-down-offense-changes-frustrating-start/

Good god Bradford is an awful leader.