PDA

View Full Version : Wade Phillips joins Gil Whiteley to discuss his future in Denver

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2017, 04:50 PM
With the resignation of Gary Kubiak, the Denver Broncos are suddenly in search of a new head coach. Will they be hunting for new coordinators as well?

Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Wade Phillips joined Gil Whiteley and Whiskey Kate on Mile High Sports Radio on Monday to give his thoughts about Kubiak and his future with the Broncos. While he said that he will be given some consideration, it is far from a sure thing that he will return.

“We’ve been told is when we get a new head coach we’ll be able to interview, but I went through that at Houston,” said Phillips, “and that was about a 30-second interview.”

He was not retained in Houston. As is often the case (and could be for the Broncos), new coaches want to bring in their own guys. Such is the nature of the business.

“There’s no guarantees here, but that’s a coach’s life,” he said. “We won 24 games in two years and a Super Bowl, and [I] might not have a job.”

Such might have been the case regardless of the coaching situation. As the Broncos season ended, so did his contact. Though the Broncos failed to live up to expectations, their Phillips-led defense was still elite. While Phillips understands the fickle nature of NFL coaching staffs, he intends to continue coaching, whether it’s in Denver or not.

“That’s just the way it is,” he opined. “Hopefully my resume is good enough that I can get another one [job]. If not here, somewhere.”

Listen to the full interview with Wade Phillips, including his relationship with Kubiak and how he’s feeling after the infamous sideline hit he took earlier this season, in the podcast below…

http://milehighsports.com/wade-phillips-joins-gil-whiteley-discuss-future-denver/

WOW - to me, it would be a MAJOR mistake if Wade was not retained!!!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2017, 04:50 PM
Wade Phillips ‏@sonofbum 3m

Still hoping to be with Broncos,of course.

dogfish
01-02-2017, 04:56 PM
i will break shit if the new guy doesn't keep wade. . . there's just no excuse for that type of foolishness. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 26m

Good news for Kubiak's top-level coaches is all but Wade Phillips had 1 yr left on contracts. Several will return. All get paid. #9sports

Joel
01-02-2017, 09:57 PM

Hawgdriver
01-02-2017, 10:21 PM
Wade is mah man. I will feel a bit unanchored if he isn't back. No, not a bit...I'll be ******* ready to riot.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-02-2017, 11:22 PM
Wade is mah man. I will feel a bit unanchored if he isn't back. No, not a bit...I'll be ******* ready to riot.
It's about to get real up in this piece.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2017, 01:24 AM
Please stay Wade!

BroncoWave
01-03-2017, 01:29 AM
I obviously really hope we keep Wade, but I also kinda want to see the meltdown on here if we don't. The butthurt toward whoever the head coach is that would let him go might even near McDaniels levels!

Poet
01-03-2017, 01:56 AM
I obviously really hope we keep Wade, but I also kinda want to see the meltdown on here if we don't. The butthurt toward whoever the head coach is that would let him go might even near McDaniels levels!

Well, it has been a few years since I've dropped a legitimate King rage bomb.

CrazyHorse
01-03-2017, 02:40 AM
Wade Phillips Denver Broncos Defensive Coordinator for life.

dogfish
01-05-2017, 02:43 PM

only you would hope for the broncos to get screwed over so you can enjoy other people's misery. . . you may be in luck. . .

washington just fired their DC, and rumors are already starting that they could make a run at wade (whose son is already on their offensive staff). . . i hate this off-season. . .

BroncoWave
01-05-2017, 02:45 PM
only you would hope for the broncos to get screwed over so you can enjoy other people's misery. . . you may be in luck. . .

washington just fired their DC, and rumors are already starting that they could make a run at wade (whose son is already on their offensive staff). . . i hate this off-season. . .

Read the first line of that post again. I obviously want to keep him, but if we do lose him, the meltdown on this board would at least be entertaining.

broncofaninfla
01-05-2017, 03:38 PM
It would be nothing short of moronic for the Broncos to have anybody other than Wade for their DC in 2017.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2017, 03:50 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 49m

Washington fires defensive coordinator. You wonder how long before teams begin pursuing @sonofbum. Resume is glowing @DenverChannel

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Read the first line of that post again. I obviously want to keep him, but if we do lose him, the meltdown on this board would at least be entertaining.

Definite meltdown and mainly geared up at Elway. Wade Phillips is the one coach Elway didn't want on staff, and he's pretty much the coach responsible for Denver's SuperBowl..

Jsteve01
01-06-2017, 12:17 AM
I've said this forever. Hire bright young head coaches who will be around for life and older genius who are such good coordinators tthat every few years people have forgotten what terrible head coaches they are. Ie Wade and Norv. I was huge on the Phillips signing. His defenses have always been elite and I would think signing either Shanahan or Joseph would bode well for Wade. I just can't believe that Kyle isn't far and away the front runner. Joseph may be charismatic but man he sucked as a DC...I mean we're talking epic suckery ala Slowick.

Poet
01-06-2017, 12:18 AM
Give me Kyle Shanahan or Sean Payton. I want that offensive onslaught of ours to not be offensive...to us.

Cugel
01-06-2017, 12:28 PM
I've said this forever. Hire bright young head coaches who will be around for life and older genius who are such good coordinators tthat every few years people have forgotten what terrible head coaches they are. Ie Wade and Norv. I was huge on the Phillips signing. His defenses have always been elite and I would think signing either Shanahan or Joseph would bode well for Wade. I just can't believe that Kyle isn't far and away the front runner. Joseph may be charismatic but man he sucked as a DC...I mean we're talking epic suckery ala Slowick.

"I'll take epic suckery for $1000 Alex." "And the Answer is: 'which Broncos HC candidate wants to screw up the Defense the fastest?"

Report: Vance Joseph wouldn’t keep Wade Phillips
Posted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2017, 9:30 PM EST
920x920 Getty Images

Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph is one of a handful of candidates to replace Gary Kubiak as head coach of the Broncos. If Joseph gets the job, Kubiak won’t be the only big-name coach leaving the team.

Alex Marvez of SportingNews.com reports that Joseph would promote defensive backs coach Joe Woods to the position of defensive coordinator. This means that defensive coordinator Wade Phillips would not be returning.

Phillips already may be destined to leave; with Washington firing defensive coordinator Joe Barry, the next move could be to bring Phillips to D.C.

However it works out, the coaching carousel is spinning at multiple levels, and it’s unclear where everyone will be when the music stops.

Cugel
01-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Give me Kyle Shanahan or Sean Payton. I want that offensive onslaught of ours to not be offensive...to us.

The bizarre thing is that even fans can figure out that the 2015 SB team is a one-shot deal. Four teams: '85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucs and 2015 Broncos managed to win the SB with totally sucky offenses. Not one of them ever repeated. The Ravens did manage to win another, but that was over ten years later, and with almost totally different personnel (only Ray Lewis remained and he was just along for the ride).

So, obviously, for the Broncos to win again, they can't rely on historically great defense and no offense. They will need much more balance.

Just look at the QBs who have won SBs in recent years: Peyton Manning*, Tom Brady*, Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger*, Drew Brees*, Peyton Manning*, Ben Roethlisberger*, Tom Brady*, etc.

*Future Hall of Fame either probable or certain.

It normally takes an elite top 10 QB to win it.

John Elway has said that he's happy with Denver's current QB situation in his presser, so that means he thinks Paxton Lynch can become a top 10 QB. Maybe so. That will be up to the next HC.

Freyaka
01-06-2017, 12:39 PM

I still really see Sean Payton ending up in LA for some reason, but I could be alright with him here. He's a proven coach who has had some good seasons and a SB win for a franchise that pretty much gave up on ever having either of those happen to them.

Poet
01-06-2017, 01:19 PM
I still really see Sean Payton ending up in LA for some reason, but I could be alright with him here. He's a proven coach who has had some good seasons and a SB win for a franchise that pretty much gave up on ever having either of those happen to them.

He slowly developed Brees into the guy from SD who had talent and some years of decent production (circumstances considering) into the 5k yard a year thrusting ****-god.

AgentOrange
01-06-2017, 01:21 PM
Well, it has been a few years since I've dropped a legitimate King rage bomb.
I dunno man. Dat Raiders game and all...lol

Freyaka
01-06-2017, 01:26 PM
I dunno man. Dat Raiders game and all...lol

Lol..ya, he was raging pretty hard in the gameday thread.

Poet
01-06-2017, 01:30 PM
Lol..ya, he was raging pretty hard in the gameday thread.

You think that was rage? That was a potato chip.

My rage is a feast.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Good Grief - :eek:

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 1h

Don't overlook #Raiders as possible landing spot for Wade Phillips, whose #Broncos contract is expiring. Productivity hasn't matched talent.

Nomad
01-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Wade has lots of options.

pnbronco
01-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Wade has lots of options.

But the only team he should be with is the Broncos. Von played with Del Rio for more than a few years and we didn't see him really reach that next platform till Wade got here. Wade wants to stay in Denver. I heard that Cory Nelson was begging for Wade to stay and I'm pretty sure he wasn't the only one.

You have a young coach that has made more that one O really good. You have a young D coach that has done so, so in Miami with a lot of talent around him. I know Wade will do well where ever he goes but I want him to stay here.

Nomad
01-07-2017, 07:07 PM
But the only team he should be with is the Broncos. Von played with Del Rio for more than a few years and we didn't see him really reach that next platform till Wade got here. Wade wants to stay in Denver. I heard that Cory Nelson was begging for Wade to stay and I'm pretty sure he wasn't the only one.

You have a young coach that has made more that one O really good. You have a young D coach that has done so, so in Miami with a lot of talent around him. I know Wade will do well where ever he goes but I want him to stay here.

I have said #1 offseason move is to keep Wade. If not, there seems to be a lot of openings for his services.