PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Shanahan

Pages : [1] 2

Shazam!
01-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Broncos request permission from ATL to interview Kyle Shanahan!

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/02/denver-broncos-head-coaching-search-begins/

vettesplus
01-02-2017, 07:10 PM
elway and shanahan, not a good mix!!!

chazoe60
01-02-2017, 08:09 PM
elway and shanahan, not a good mix!!!

yeah, all those two names ever did was win back-to-back SBs.

GEM
01-02-2017, 08:48 PM
yes!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 45m

#Broncos expected to interview Kyle Shanahan on Friday or Saturday. He's interviewing with 4 teams so far. @DenverChannel

Hawgdriver
01-02-2017, 10:25 PM
No..wait. Is he any good? I get the hype, but someone make it obvious for me.

Nomad
01-02-2017, 10:44 PM
No..wait. Is he any good? I get the hype, but someone make it obvious for me.

He has the potential being his success as an OC, but no one knows how successful he can/will be at HC. It sounds like Mike will tag along.

Hawgdriver
01-02-2017, 10:54 PM
He has the potential being his success as an OC, but no one knows how successful he can/will be at HC. It sounds like Mike will tag along.

Wut? Dad will tag along? Fuq that.

Why is this Shanahan guy any good? I get he has a great QB in Matt Ryan and some great offensive talent, but someone explain why he's worth being a HC.

Poet
01-02-2017, 11:42 PM

Why is this Shanahan guy any good? I get he has a great QB in Matt Ryan and some great offensive talent, but someone explain why he's worth being a HC.

Well, Matt Ryan has been on the decline for many years. Still playing well, but regressing. The Falcs have one of the best talents in the game at WR, and some nice backs, but they were putting forth subpar seasons with those guys, and types of guys, for quite some time as well. What should make us happy is that under him his team has improved and played up to their talent. He also has schemed around his players. He's done this while his youngish o-line has developed. So, in that sense, he offers us what we've been lacking in a tailored scheme and development in players.

He has, as far as anyone can tell, as sharp a tactical mind in the league as any of his young peers. While he is the son of a future HoF coach, he's worked his way up the ranks. So he hasn't been handed anything outside of MAYBE a first shot, but once he took that shot he's been dunking on people.

The fact that he can make schemes for his players also speaks to me about his ability to judge talent and identify it.

As of right now he gets four out of a possible five style points.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2017, 11:44 PM
He's the OC for the highest scoring offense in the league and runs a version of his dad's WCO, which makes the transition ideal.

CrazyHorse
01-03-2017, 02:33 AM
It almost seems too obvious that he would be the perfect fit. His father was a good offensive coach he just wasn't a good GM and couldn't succeed without a good defensive coordinator.

WARHORSE
01-03-2017, 04:43 AM
Well, Matt Ryan has been on the decline for many years. Still playing well, but regressing. The Falcs have one of the best talents in the game at WR, and some nice backs, but they were putting forth subpar seasons with those guys, and types of guys, for quite some time as well. What should make us happy is that under him his team has improved and played up to their talent. He also has schemed around his players. He's done this while his youngish o-line has developed. So, in that sense, he offers us what we've been lacking in a tailored scheme and development in players.

He has, as far as anyone can tell, as sharp a tactical mind in the league as any of his young peers. While he is the son of a future HoF coach, he's worked his way up the ranks. So he hasn't been handed anything outside of MAYBE a first shot, but once he took that shot he's been dunking on people.

The fact that he can make schemes for his players also speaks to me about his ability to judge talent and identify it.

As of right now he gets four out of a possible five style points.

Like McDaniels, the challenge will be managing the personalities, emotions, needs, desires and challenges of 53 plus grown men whos life situations are varied from 22 and single with little money, 35, married, 5 kids and megastar millionaire NFL stud, and everything in between.

Oh....can we mention the handling of the media, the scrutiny and responsibility buck, the 12th man and the front office?

Oh.....can we mention your own family demands?

Kyle is a brilliant hungry mind....and we know he comes from solid stock.....but it will be a growing experience.

So patience will be a must with him.

Broncoknight30
01-03-2017, 04:52 AM

Well, most places he has been, he has found significant offensive success. Except for the Browns, but hey. He had one season there.

In 2008 and 2009 in Houston he had top 5 offenses both years. The Redskins offense improved significantly under Shanahan. From 18th in 2010 to top 5 in 2012. They were still top 10 even with that crap with RGIII in 2013.

The Falcons improved from 16th in 2015 to 2nd this year.

Hope that helps.

tripp
01-03-2017, 10:19 AM
It seems like the obvious fit would be Kyle Shanahan as HC, and you leave Wade Phillips at DC. I really don't like the idea of messing around with our defense.

Shazam!
01-03-2017, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't mind if Daddy came back too as a consultant or as an advisor.

It would be something I'd like to see.

Hawgdriver
01-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Well, most places he has been, he has found significant offensive success. Except for the Browns, but hey. He had one season there.

In 2008 and 2009 in Houston he had top 5 offenses both years. The Redskins offense improved significantly under Shanahan. From 18th in 2010 to top 5 in 2012. They were still top 10 even with that crap with RGIII in 2013.

The Falcons improved from 16th in 2015 to 2nd this year.

Hope that helps.

Exactly what I needed, thanks! Sounds like he does with offenses what Wade does with defenses--turns a 31 into a 1 (ranking wise).

broncofaninfla
01-03-2017, 11:28 AM
The McDaniels debacle makes me fear having another young coach but I'm impressed with Kyle to date with his work as a OC and figure Elway and company probably already have a pretty good grasp on him as a person and his personality.

broncofaninfla
01-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Whoever gets the gig I hope they keep Wade.

Slick
01-03-2017, 12:01 PM
I don't want another Shanahan coaching this team.

Valar Morghulis
01-03-2017, 12:22 PM
I don't want another Shanahan coaching this team.

Why not dude?

Rick
01-03-2017, 12:31 PM
There was never a problem with Shanahan the coach except loyalty to sucky defensive coordinators.

There was a big problem with Shanahan the GM.

Kyle Shanahan would only be Shanahan the coach.*To be determined if this Shanahan the coach has loyalty to sucky defensive coordinators.

Traveler
01-03-2017, 12:37 PM
One of my concerns about a new HC is this. Which available candidate can come in and get the most out of the QB's currently on the roster? Denver has a unique opportunity in that they aren't spending huge sums of the salary cap at the QB position, thus giving them the opportunity to address teams needs elsewhere. Siemian and Lynch are both talented young QB's with marginal to huge upsides, respectively.

I'd like the new HC to implement an offense familiar to both them. They already spent a year learning the terminology of the WCO. Why waste that year of learning?

NightTerror218
01-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Question is always how players respect new coach. How will he earn trust. We have a lot of very strong personalities on this team more so on defense. Which with Kyle as head coach keeping wade makes most sense.

Nomad
01-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Exactly what I needed, thanks! Sounds like he does with offenses what Wade does with defenses--turns a 31 into a 1 (ranking wise).

Wade knows how to coach a defense, but wasn't very good as a head coach. Just saying.

Hawgdriver
01-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Wade knows how to coach a defense, but wasn't very good as a head coach. Just saying.

That would be my concern with K-Shan-he's good with an offense and a QB-but is he a good head coach? Does he have the right personality for that part of the job?

Broncoknight30
01-03-2017, 01:40 PM
Question is always how players respect new coach. How will he earn trust. We have a lot of very strong personalities on this team more so on defense. Which with Kyle as head coach keeping wade makes most sense.

I think with the Broncos, Elway sets the credibility. There is automatic respect, considering the success and the Lombardis.

Those things carry a lot of power. My concern is getting a guy that is not going to want to change the defense.

Hence the reason I am so confused about the notion of Vance Joseph. He is a defensive guy. That is all he knows and he is not a 3-4 guy. Which means he would not be a Philips guy. Not to mention his only stint as DC has NOT been a good one.

Nomad
01-03-2017, 01:46 PM
That would be my concern with K-Shan-he's good with an offense and a QB-but is he a good head coach? Does he have the right personality for that part of the job?

As I said before, I'll trust Elway's ability to choose the best HC. If some of the articles (opinion pieces) are correct, I could see the Shanahan's with the Rams or 9ers. I believe they want their own fingerprints on a team, and I don't see that with the BRONCOS. BRONCOS need a HC to run the team, a great OC/QB whisperer, and keep Wade.

Nomad
01-03-2017, 01:49 PM
I think with the Broncos, Elway sets the credibility. There is automatic respect, considering the success and the Lombardis.

Those things carry a lot of power. My concern is getting a guy that is not going to want to change the defense.

Hence the reason I am so confused about the notion of Vance Joseph. He is a defensive guy. That is all he knows and he is not a 3-4 guy. Which means he would not be a Philips guy. Not to mention his only stint as DC has NOT been a good one.

Joseph branches from the Kubiak/Wade tree. He coached with them in Houston.

Slick
01-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Why not dude?

I'd like to see them go in a different direction. His Dad's last few years weren't good. His teams were soft. They routinely got bullied by the better teams in the league.

I know Kyle isn't Mike but that's just how I feel.

Dapper Dan
01-03-2017, 04:27 PM
I'd like to see them go in a different direction. His Dad's last few years weren't good. His teams were soft. They routinely got bullied by the better teams in the league.

I know Kyle isn't Mike but that's just how I feel.

If Kyle legally changes his last name will you be ok then?

Slick
01-03-2017, 04:49 PM
If Kyle legally changes his last name will you be ok then?

No. I won't bitch about it if John hires him though. I didn't really want Kubiak either so what do I know.

CrazyHorse
01-03-2017, 06:33 PM
There was never a problem with Shanahan the coach except loyalty to sucky defensive coordinators.

There was a big problem with Shanahan the GM.

Kyle Shanahan would only be Shanahan the coach.*To be determined if this Shanahan the coach has loyalty to sucky defensive coordinators.

Exactly. If he's anything like his dad that would be great. I would hope we keep Phillips as the defensive coordinator and Elway as GM. The offensive philosophy would be similar enough to Kubiak's but likely more innovative.

Freyaka
01-03-2017, 06:35 PM
The McDaniels debacle makes me fear having another young coach but I'm impressed with Kyle to date with his work as a OC and figure Elway and company probably already have a pretty good grasp on him as a person and his personality.

We all blow up how much we hated McDaniels, but lets be honest. I think you take away his control over player decisions and leave that to a true GM and I don't think he would be a bad coach. I liked his fire and passion, he was just too New England for us. I think he'll make an excellent coach for someone given a little more time to mature first (just not us)

Simple Jaded
01-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Josh McDaniels coaching was worse than his personnel decisions, that's really saying something.

Freyaka
01-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Josh McDaniels coaching was worse than his personnel decisions, that's really saying something.

I don't think his coaching was all that bad, it's just that he assembled a terrible team and staff. If he comes in and all he has to do is coach I think he'd be alright. Granted I never want to see him here again, but I don't think his coaching was really the issue.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2017, 09:46 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 41m

Was told #Broncos will interview Kyle Shanahan on Saturday He has interviews w four teams #49ers, #Jaguars #Rams over weekend @DenverChannel

Simple Jaded
01-03-2017, 11:46 PM
I don't think his coaching was all that bad, it's just that he assembled a terrible team and staff. If he comes in and all he has to do is coach I think he'd be alright. Granted I never want to see him here again, but I don't think his coaching was really the issue.

His first defensive staff was excellent, iirc. The 2009 team started fast off the strength of his defense, so what'd he do then? Drove the DC out.

His offense from beginning to end...nothing special. Got caught cheating in a game they lost anyway.

Went to St Louis and was one-and-done.

His players and coaches hated him.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2017, 12:07 AM
In Shanahan's last season didn't we have like 7 RBs get hurt?

underrated29
01-04-2017, 12:13 AM
In Shanahan's last season didn't we have like 7 RBs get hurt?

Yep, and Calvin Lowry at safety.

NightTerror218
01-04-2017, 12:16 AM
His first defensive staff was excellent, iirc. The 2009 team started fast off the strength of his defense, so what'd he do then? Drove the DC out.

His offense from beginning to end...nothing special. Got caught cheating in a game they lost anyway.

Went to St Louis and was one-and-done.

His players and coaches hated him.

Nolan was DC. Went to miami after.

Got cheating in london game against san fran.

He gutted team of talent and brought in crap. Drafted decent offensive players. He had too much if an ego to mesh with players and just removed them if in his way

The Glue Factory
01-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Nolan was DC. Went to miami after.

Got cheating in london game against san fran.

He gutted team of talent and brought in crap. Drafted decent offensive players. He had too much if an ego to mesh with players and just removed them if in his way

Not to forget that he ochestrated Denver's first sub 5 win season, bringing the Broncos into the fold with ALL other NFL teams to post a 4 win season. Josh is Mr. McDoucheBagExtraordinaire!

Freyaka
01-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Not to forget that he ochestrated Denver's first sub 5 win season, bringing the Broncos into the fold with ALL other NFL teams to post a 4 win season. Josh is Mr. McDoucheBagExtraordinaire!

So you are mad that his master plan netted us Von Miller?

Traveler
01-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Read that McDaniels is the 49ers top candidate. Wish they could quickly hire him and have one less opening for Shanahan & Joseph to consider.

Slick
01-04-2017, 03:01 PM
I don't think Kyle ends up in Denver. Dad's shadow and all that.

Valar Morghulis
01-04-2017, 03:03 PM

If he does, you can suck me off. Deal?

Freyaka
01-04-2017, 03:04 PM

This is the most prestigious job on the market though. It's going to boil down to "does elway want him". If the answer is yes, elway always gets his man.

Slick
01-04-2017, 03:04 PM
If he does, you can suck me off. Deal?

As long as you tickle my bum during.

Valar Morghulis
01-04-2017, 03:05 PM
As long as you tickle my bum during.

Obvs

Slick
01-04-2017, 03:11 PM
This is the most prestigious job on the market though. It's going to boil down to "does elway want him". If the answer is yes, elway always gets his man.

Joseph was Elway's plan B if he didn't get Kubiak. That's why I lean towards him but you could be right. If San Fran hires McDaniels I think Kyle has a shot.

Freyaka
01-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Joseph was Elway's plan B if he didn't get Kubiak. That's why I lean towards him but you could be right. If San Fran hires McDaniels I think Kyle has a shot.

You could be right on Joseph. Neither of us are really in Elway's head, but if I were Elway, my logic would be, you already have Wade (or at least the assumption is Wade isn't going anywhere) the defense is set. It would be better to bring someone with a clear offensive vision in to right the offensive ship.

I think McD goes to San Fran, I've heard talk of Sean Peyton to the Rams, that leaves Shanny's options Jacksonville, New Orleans and Denver, if he doesn't end up here I see him in Jacksonville.

The other thing that could end up happening, Elway could have a strong OC candidate in mind to bring in and run his offense and then in that case Joseph being of Wade's coaching tree makes sense as he might be the only defensive minded coach who could come in and not step on Wade's toes too much.

Slick
01-04-2017, 03:58 PM
You could be right on Joseph. Neither of us are really in Elway's head, but if I were Elway, my logic would be, you already have Wade (or at least the assumption is Wade isn't going anywhere) the defense is set. It would be better to bring someone with a clear offensive vision in to right the offensive ship.

I think McD goes to San Fran, I've heard talk of Sean Peyton to the Rams, that leaves Shanny's options Jacksonville, New Orleans and Denver, if he doesn't end up here I see him in Jacksonville.

The other thing that could end up happening, Elway could have a strong OC candidate in mind to bring in and run his offense and then in that case Joseph being of Wade's coaching tree makes sense as he might be the only defensive minded coach who could come in and not step on Wade's toes too much.

I don't know if your head coach needs to be the guy to fix the offense. Let the head coach manage the team and let the coordinators do their jobs. I think that's the best recipe for success.

Whether it's Joseph or Shanahan I think they both keep Wade. Wade's job is secure in my opinion.

I think Elway is looking for a head coach who can lead and manage and not necessarily a guy who specializes on one side of the ball.

Northman
01-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Everything ive been hearing says that Joseph is the leading candidate and basically his job to lose. Not sure how accurate that all is but seems to be the thinking going on right now.

Freyaka
01-04-2017, 04:06 PM
Everything ive been hearing says that Joseph is the leading candidate and basically his job to lose. Not sure how accurate that all is but seems to be the thinking going on right now.

Several fans are listening to 104.3 the fan right now and saying that it's already done, that we are moving forward with hiring Joseph as the HC and bringing back Mike McCoy as the OC.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-04-2017, 04:14 PM
Several fans are listening to 104.3 the fan right now and saying that it's already done, that we are moving forward with hiring Joseph as the HC and bringing back Mike McCoy as the OC.

The fan is now a viable source of information? Why would Dove Valley give those tools any inside info?

Northman
01-04-2017, 04:24 PM
The fan is now a viable source of information? Why would Dove Valley give those tools any inside info?

Its anyone's guess how much of it is accurate but generally when there is this much smoke there is generally fire.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Its anyone's guess how much of it is accurate but generally when there is this much smoke there is generally fire.

As long as that smoke isn't coming from D-Mac's ass

Freyaka
01-04-2017, 05:04 PM
As long as that smoke isn't coming from D-Mac's ass

Dmac wasn't involved with this one (though Dmac too is swearing that Vance is the pick) I believe this was on Stokley's show.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2017, 07:11 PM
After overseeing an Atlanta Falcons attack that shattered franchise records for points and yards, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan will have his pick of head coaching opportunities this January.

Although Shanahan is also set to meet with the Rams, Jaguars and 49ers, the Broncos have emerged as the frontrunner for his services.

Appearing on Wednesday's edition of Up to the Minute Live, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported that Kyle favors following in Mike Shanahan's footsteps with Denver.

"The word around the league right now," Garafolo said, "the word with people involved in coaching searches and gathering all of this information is that that's the job Shanahan has his eyes on -- going to Denver where his father coached."

In that case, Shanahan is undaunted by the manifold shadows cast in Denver.

rest - plus video - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000769719/article/falcons-oc-kyle-shanahan-eyeing-broncos-opening

Poet
01-04-2017, 07:27 PM
This makes me happy.

Freyaka
01-04-2017, 07:48 PM
This makes me happy.

Your boat is afloat?

elsid13
01-04-2017, 07:52 PM
I think that Elway really wants this team to run some version of the shannahan/kubiak offense. I think he wants a strong running game, PA and ability to ATTACK other team strength. Plus I really think he want a ensure that new system isn't so much of a change that it will retard Paxton/Seiman's growth.

NightTerror218
01-04-2017, 11:28 PM
Defense and control the game tempo with ground game and keep defense fresh. Could be elway way.

Simple Jaded
01-05-2017, 12:13 AM
Kule isn't a scared of shadows.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-05-2017, 12:31 AM
Kule isn't a scared of shadows.

I like the accent. It's more intriguing than Dave's

Dzone
01-05-2017, 12:34 AM
So whats with this alleged Elway-Mike Shanahan rift? Did someone just make that shit up or is it real? Doesnt make sense unless maybe one of them is an *******

Simple Jaded
01-05-2017, 12:55 AM
I like the accent. It's more intriguing than Dave's

Chicks dig it.

Simple Jaded
01-05-2017, 12:55 AM
So whats with this alleged Elway-Mike Shanahan rift? Did someone just make that shit up or is it real? Doesnt make sense unless maybe one of them is an *******

I'm pretty sure they're both ********.

pnbronco
01-05-2017, 02:44 AM
Polumbus: My experience playing for Kyle Shanahan

I thought this was really interesting and I give more credit to someone that has actually worked with the guy.... I hope this is a good place to put this:

With the Denver Broncos head coaching position open, the name of a well-known local has been called upon to take the reins: Kyle Shanahan.

Kyle, the son of Broncos legend Mike Shanahan, grew up inside of NFL coaching offices.

I had the opportunity to play for Kyle in Washington and Atlanta, so I thought I would share my firsthand experience.

I signed with Mike my rookie year and watched the way he coached our team first hand. Our offensive coordinator, Jeremy Bates, certainly had plenty of authority (and for a few years was a hot name in the industry) but make no mistakes about it, Mike was very hands on with our offense.

I didn't want to post the entire article here but this is that part that made me go wow.....

To be completely honest, I wasn’t entirely sure what to think. I went to the same high school as Kyle, and we had many mutual relationships, but I didn’t really know if Kyle could truly coach football. Did he just have the job because of his dad?

Well, let me tell you, it took no more than a month for me to be blown away by Kyle’s football acumen. Our offense was different than it was in Denver. Not in terminology, that was all the same, but the running game and our landmarks were drastically different.

Kyle had evolved his own dad’s offense. He had taken it to the next level.

Think about that. Son, coaching for dad, was smart enough to convince a legend to evolve his running game.

the rest of the article is here:

http://1043thefan.com/153277/polumbus-experience-kyle-shanahan/

Davii
01-05-2017, 08:58 AM

I thought this was really interesting and I give more credit to someone that has actually worked with the guy.... I hope this is a good place to put this:

Good article Pola, thank you for the read! I think Tyler has a great perspective having played for both Shanahans. I think I'm excited for our future whether we pick Shanahan or Vance Joseph, either one. I do, however, lean towards Kyle. Not only because of the pedigree, but because I feel our offense is what needs the most help, that we can just let Wade keep the Defense on auto-pilot, Kyle can focus on the offense, and frankly I don't see the type of production from Joseph's defense that I have from Kyle's offense.

Either way, I trust John will pick the guy that excites him the most and we'll move forward and figure it out. If we get 10+ years out of our next head coach I'm certain there will be a couple more trophies in there.

The Glue Factory
01-05-2017, 10:52 AM
So you are mad that his master plan netted us Von Miller?

Von Miller was not the goal of an atrocious 4 win season. McNumbnuts would not have selected Von with the #2 pick. He would have traded that #2 pick to gather three first round picks to select 3rd round talent.

TXBRONC
01-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Von Miller was not the goal of an atrocious 4 win season. McNumbnuts would not have selected Von with the #2 pick. He would have traded that #2 pick to gather three first round picks to select 3rd round talent.

Got that right he would have selected a blocking tight end or slowest and least talented cornerback in the draft. Then again, he might have traded the pick for a journeyman quarterback suffering from "fainting goat disease."

NightTerror218
01-05-2017, 12:08 PM
I think elway will want an offensive mi ded head coach with wade and company running the defense.

Keeps the defensive continuity. Vance will want his style of defense ran with a new DC who knows it. He may let wade stat but just me thinking out load. A defensive coach, coachs a certain style and would like to main that style on new team since he is yse to that. Kyle want his style of offense ran and pick oc who has that style.

Freyaka
01-05-2017, 12:14 PM
I think elway will want an offensive mi ded head coach with wade and company running the defense.

Keeps the defensive continuity. Vance will want his style of defense ran with a new DC who knows it. He may let wade stat but just me thinking out load. A defensive coach, coachs a certain style and would like to main that style on new team since he is yse to that. Kyle want his style of offense ran and pick oc who has that style.

Do you realize that Vance is of Wade's tree and runs pretty much the same system? My favorite pick is Shanahan as well, but Vance makes sense even if we are going for defensive continuity.

Even if Wade were to heaven forbid leave, Vance's defense isn't night and day from what we've already been running. He's running a 4-3 in Miami, but that is not his normal defense, he adjusted his scheme to fit the personnel already in place rather than dismantling the talent that was already there, frankly that makes me think even higher of the guy for being willing to do that. It shows he's very versatile and willing to think outside of the box.

The thing I don't like is that his defense this year frankly wasn't very good aside from stopping the run and getting turnovers. They gave up a lot of points and weren't good against the pass.

underrated29
01-05-2017, 12:20 PM
I dont care who we bring in as long as Mike Mccoy is allowed no where near the OC job. Ever.

Freyaka
01-05-2017, 12:23 PM
I dont care who we bring in as long as Mike Mccoy is allowed no where near the OC job. Ever.

I've sadly heard a lot of rumors that this is the direction we are wanting to take, however, no one has been hired yet and I don't know of many teams who will say "we'll hire you as head coach, but you need to hire Mike McCoy" and seeing as no one has been even interviewed yet, anything we hear should really be taken with a grain of salt.

NightTerror218
01-05-2017, 12:24 PM
Do you realize that Vance is of Wade's tree and runs pretty much the same system? My favorite pick is Shanahan as well, but Vance makes sense even if we are going for defensive continuity.

Even if Wade were to heaven forbid leave, Vance's defense isn't night and day from what we've already been running. He's running a 4-3 in Miami, but that is not his normal defense, he adjusted his scheme to fit the personnel already in place rather than dismantling the talent that was already there, frankly that makes me think even higher of the guy for being willing to do that. It shows he's very versatile and willing to think outside of the box.

The thing I don't like is that his defense this year frankly wasn't very good aside from stopping the run and getting turnovers. They gave up a lot of points and weren't good against the pass.

I know he defense was nkt good in miami. And just because he runs a 3-4 doesnt mean he is in same tree. That is just same base. But if he is in same teee then i take your word for it. And that could help his chances. The other down side would be what would his offense look like. Who would he target for OC. This would be the biggest question mark. Because we need a damn good OC and a damn good offseason for elway to fix this.

Freyaka
01-05-2017, 12:31 PM
I know he defense was nkt good in miami. And just because he runs a 3-4 doesnt mean he is in same tree. That is just same base. But if he is in same teee then i take your word for it. And that could help his chances. The other down side would be what would his offense look like. Who would he target for OC. This would be the biggest question mark. Because we need a damn good OC and a damn good offseason for elway to fix this.

I guess tree might not be the right word in this instance as he was a DB coach before wade, but he's learned under wade and they have worked together. He was the defensive backs coach in Houston from 2011-2013 and learned under Wade. before spending 2 seasons as the Bengals d-backs coach. He's stated that he is more of a 3-4 guy.

And I do agree about the defense not being good, I did mention that. I'm not entirely sold on Joseph, but could be convinced IF he kept wade and had a strong OC.

Broncoknight30
01-05-2017, 12:38 PM

They ranked 30th against the run.

Freyaka
01-05-2017, 03:34 PM
They ranked 30th against the run.

You are correct...NFL.com loaded it backwards...

So ya, they sucked across the board aside from generating turnovers.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2017, 03:53 PM

NightTerror218
01-05-2017, 04:38 PM
I guess tree might not be the right word in this instance as he was a DB coach before wade, but he's learned under wade and they have worked together. He was the defensive backs coach in Houston from 2011-2013 and learned under Wade. before spending 2 seasons as the Bengals d-backs coach. He's stated that he is more of a 3-4 guy.

And I do agree about the defense not being good, I did mention that. I'm not entirely sold on Joseph, but could be convinced IF he kept wade and had a strong OC.

Well that could help him keep wade if he worked under wade. But his big hurdle will be to convince elway he can fix offense as a defensive minded coach. He better have an ace up his sleeve and not keep current staff.

Kyle could always keep wade and bring his old offensive team from ATL and promote one of them to OC.

I am intrigued how this will play out.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2017, 05:00 PM
My preference is that the Broncos hire Kyle, as my thinking is he only has experience coaching offense, so hopefully he would keep Wade. Not so sure Vance would do that. Even though Vance played QB and RB at CU, his coaching experience is on the defensive side of the ball. If Vance is the one hired, I hope I am wrong, and he does keep Wade.

slim
01-05-2017, 05:07 PM

Maybe we should pump the brakes until they actually interview someone?

slim
01-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Kyle set RGIII up to succeed. We need someone to do that with our young QBs.

Dapper Dan
01-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Rumors swirling that RG3 is our new QB.

slim
01-05-2017, 06:40 PM

Shut it.

DenBronx
01-05-2017, 06:48 PM

Die rumor! Die a miserable death!

Freyaka
01-05-2017, 07:08 PM

Rumors swirling that I'm about to give Dapper Dan a swirly for even mentioning such a thing.

Freyaka
01-05-2017, 07:12 PM
If there is such a rumor, I'm guessing it's just D-Mac pulling something out of his ass because Shanahan coached him once and claiming it as fact.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Shanahan Talks HC Interview Process
Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan discussed the process of interviewing for a potential head coaching job while preparing for the Divisional round of the playoffs

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-lounge/videos/Shanahan-Talks-HC-Interview-Process/bb3d8d09-35be-4ce7-854e-8719f4e342e7

HORSEPOWER 56
01-05-2017, 07:56 PM

Yep �� pretty much agree with everything Polumbus said there. Hire Kyle. Keep Wade. Dominate.

dogfish
01-05-2017, 09:02 PM

:lol:

Cugel
01-06-2017, 12:43 PM

Step 1: SF hires McDaniels.
Step 2: Earthquake that levels the city centered on Levi Stadium.
Step 3: Broncos fans chortle.
Step 4: Broncos hire Kyle Shanahan.
Step 5: Broncos fans live happily ever after?

Cugel
01-06-2017, 12:45 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post

I heard an equally valid rumor that Bigfoot is going to be our new HC!

Dapper Dan
01-06-2017, 10:50 PM
I heard an equally valid rumor that Bigfoot is going to be our new HC!

I've not heard anything about Rex Ryan.

Freyaka
01-07-2017, 10:00 AM
I've not heard anything about Rex Ryan.

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4f6a314069bedd621d000038/rex-ryan-throws-headset-gif.gif

Nomad
01-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Quote from Elway on the Shanahan interview......

John Elway ‏@johnelway
We spent the morning with Kyle Shanahan in Atlanta. He's a very bright coach who's had a tremendous year and has a great future.

Northman
01-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Quote from Elway on the Shanahan interview......

John Elway ‏@johnelway
We spent the morning with Kyle Shanahan in Atlanta. He's a very bright coach who's had a tremendous year and has a great future.

Positive comments on Kyle but for some reason i dont get much of an impression that he is Elway's choice. Just kind of comes across as a standard "yea, he is smart and will do well going forward" type of comment to me. I dont get the feeling he is seriously in the running.

Nomad
01-07-2017, 02:12 PM
Positive comments on Kyle but for some reason i dont get much of an impression that he is Elway's choice. Just kind of comes across as a standard "yea, he is smart and will do well going forward" type of comment to me. I dont get the feeling he is seriously in the running.

Ive never been good at poker, so I'm not sure what to think of this comment.

Freyaka
01-07-2017, 02:31 PM

It sounded better than his response post-Taub interview. That poor guy...Elway's post about him was an obvious "not even a little interested"

Hawgdriver
01-07-2017, 02:32 PM

What could he say that doesn't mean "no" but doesn't mean "this guy!"?

It's way too lukewarm a comment ("had a great year"--lucky?) to make you think JFE has found his guy, but it doesn't outright dismiss him. Look at us reading tea leaves, it's cute.

Hawgdriver
01-07-2017, 02:32 PM
It sounded better than his response post-Taub interview. That poor guy...Elway's post about him was an obvious "not even a little interested"

Watch, Taub's the guy.

Poet
01-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Alright NFL/C Aficionados, how do we get Sean Payton? I know it's not going to happen, but I'd love it.

Nomad
01-07-2017, 02:35 PM
What could he say that doesn't mean "no" but doesn't mean "this guy!"?

It's way too lukewarm a comment ("had a great year"--lucky?) to make you think JFE has found his guy, but it doesn't outright dismiss him. Look at us reading tea leaves, it's cute.

"A great future" could mean he'll be the HC of the best team in the NFL, the Denver BRONCOS, in which means he has a great future. :D

Like I said before, I'm not for or against Shanahan, but trust Elway's decision making. He brought the BRONCOS back from being bottom dwellers to SB champions.

It is fun reading tea leaves. :D

Hawgdriver
01-07-2017, 02:39 PM
"A great future" could mean he'll be the HC of the best team in the NFL, the Denver BRONCOS, in which means he has a great future. :D

Like I said before, I'm not for or against Shanahan, but trust Elway's decision making. He brought the BRONCOS back from being bottom dwellers to SB champions.

I'm trusty/neutralish. He's done great with the HoF type FA signings, and other FA acquisitions. Bringing in Kubes was a solid hire, dismissing Fox was also solid. I wonder what the selection process is--is it all gut, or are there analytics involved?

Freyaka
01-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Watch, Taub's the guy.

Oddly, I'd be down with that. Special teams coaches have to interact with offense and defense. They often tend to be great HC's

Poet
01-07-2017, 02:42 PM
Oddly, I'd be down with that. Special teams coaches have to interact with offense and defense. They often tend to be great HC's

That Baltimore Harbaugh guy is pretty solid.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-07-2017, 02:47 PM
That Baltimore Harbaugh guy is pretty solid.

He was a special team'a coach?

Poet
01-07-2017, 02:48 PM

Yeah. At the time people laughed at the Ravens for the hiring. Pundits mocked them.

Simple Jaded
01-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Alright NFL/C Aficionados, how do we get Sean Payton? I know it's not going to happen, but I'd love it.

It'd have to be a trade but no HC is worth a high draft pick, imo.

Poet
01-07-2017, 03:09 PM
It'd have to be a trade but no HC is worth a high draft pick, imo.

This would never happen but....

I would give a first rounder or two for Belichick.

TXBRONC
01-07-2017, 04:00 PM

No wonder you only play strip poker. :D

Simple Jaded
01-07-2017, 06:34 PM
This would never happen but....

I would give a first rounder or two for Belichick.

I'd take years to replace all the talent he'd get rid of.

Poet
01-07-2017, 06:36 PM
I'd take years to replace all the talent he'd get rid of.

And we'd probably pick up a few SB's.

Freyaka
01-07-2017, 06:42 PM

Yes, same with Bill Belicheck.

Simple Jaded
01-07-2017, 06:54 PM
And we'd probably pick up a few SB's.

We'll pick up sa few SB's on our own, Kinger, in style.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Yes, same with Bill Belicheck.

He may have started on STs but Bellichick was a DC for several years under Parcells before he got the Cleveland Browns HC job.

Poet
01-07-2017, 08:53 PM
We'll pick up sa few SB's on our own, Kinger, in style.

I'm not saying we won't. Sigh.

silkamilkamonico
01-07-2017, 11:07 PM

Elway's mind is made up. Joseph was all but officially the guy the minute Kube's stepped down. I don't think they are even going through the process of hiring others with an open mind.

Traveler
01-08-2017, 05:45 AM

That's how it comes across to me too.

pnbronco
01-08-2017, 01:04 PM
That's how it comes across to me too.

Dang it guys.....I trust your opinions. How can they not want to hot young Coach that is making O's better every place he goes?

Traveler I see that you are from Atlanta, what have you heard about Kyle as in his temperament and how get get along with the players?

Traveler
01-08-2017, 01:16 PM
Dang it guys.....I trust your opinions. How can they not want to hot young Coach that is making O's better every place he goes?

Traveler I see that you are from Atlanta, what have you heard about Kyle as in his temperament and how get get along with the players?

Last season was rocky. There was tension towards KS because of the Roddy White situation. Long story short, White felt KS was limiting him within the offense and focused more on Julio. Whatever happened this past offseason worked. KS revamped his scheme to fit better what Matt Ryan does best and did the same for his RB's. The signing of Mack at the Center position help stabilize the OL and thus allowed the offense to "take off."

As to his temperament, I really haven't heard much from my Falcon friends. They love him. Guess winning will do that.

pnbronco
01-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Yeah winning does do that....:laugh: thanks Traveler. If anything I like the fact that things were not good so he found a way to work with everyone and get that winning feeling back.

slim
01-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Kyle is a better C than Joseph

Valar Morghulis
01-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Kyle is a better C than Joseph

I like paradis

slim
01-08-2017, 03:17 PM
I like paradis

Redhead that is always presenting?

Rick
01-08-2017, 03:22 PM
I have a feeling Joseph might make a better C than Kyle, but I think Kyle will be a better coach :)

Cugel
01-09-2017, 11:59 AM
We'll see what happens. Right now, the "Dream Team" is assembling with Vance Joseph, head coach, Mike McCoy as OC, and Joe Woods as DC, and Wade Phillips moving to the Redskins to become their DC. I predict the Redskins win their division next year. They already have a really good offense, and with Wade they are bound to take a big step up with their Defense.

Meanwhile McCoy will be judged by how he develops Lynch.

Of course, if the Broncos wait beyond Wednesday to announce Joseph as Head Coach, McCoy might have another job. He's the top OC candidate in the league right now.

You know how some years just suck for QBs in the draft? Well this is a coaching bad year. None of the candidates are great. Probably the hottest prospect of them all is McMoron. He will probably have several coaching offers. It will be interesting to see if he's learned anything from his cluster-fu** in Denver.

NightTerror218
01-09-2017, 02:34 PM
We'll see what happens. Right now, the "Dream Team" is assembling with Vance Joseph, head coach, Mike McCoy as OC, and Joe Woods as DC, and Wade Phillips moving to the Redskins to become their DC. I predict the Redskins win their division next year. They already have a really good offense, and with Wade they are bound to take a big step up with their Defense.

Meanwhile McCoy will be judged by how he develops Lynch.

Of course, if the Broncos wait beyond Wednesday to announce Joseph as Head Coach, McCoy might have another job. He's the top OC candidate in the league right now.

You know how some years just suck for QBs in the draft? Well this is a coaching bad year. None of the candidates are great. Probably the hottest prospect of them all is McMoron. He will probably have several coaching offers. It will be interesting to see if he's learned anything from his cluster-fu** in Denver.

Problem. Raiders are eyeing wade. McCoy sucked. He could only coach half a game.

pnbronco
01-09-2017, 05:26 PM
I've listen to the Fan today and I'm feeling better for a lot of different reasons. Sandy was saying that things have changed with the HC position and you need a man that can be a leader and bring everyone together to work for the same thing. That this is the strength of Vance J. That knowing X's and O's are the job of the coordinators in this day and age. I get what they are saying and can live with that choice, if it's him. They also said that Wade wants a raise and that we may not be able to give him what some other team offers him. I understand business, so I adore that man but I understand he needs to follow the money if that's what if comes down to.

Anyway then I listened to Stokley and Polumbus and got really hopeful. Brandon heard that Elway and Co went to see Kyle with it being on the check list of interviewing the hot prospect. That they were blown away with his presentation. He had a plan and a really clear outline of what he would do to make our O better. How to keep the D strong and how to make the Broncos a powerhouse in general. Kyle has made it clear that Denver is his # 1 choice.

Both Stokley and Polumbus are fine with Vance J and say he is a very respected person and would be a good coach. But there energy was completely different in talking about Kyle vs Vance. Polumbus said that the best RG3 ever played was under Kyle. So I'm hopeful that Elway will want to give his young prospect the best chance to succeed and IMO that would be Kyle. However if it's Vance and Wade gets a better paying job no melt down.... I will be super bummed if Kyle goes to another team and makes things special there....

CoachChaz
01-09-2017, 06:06 PM
Getting what he got out of Hoyer in Cleveland might have been more impressive than RGIII.

Traveler
01-09-2017, 06:55 PM
From the article:

Schefter then stated that he "knows for a fact" and emphasized "for a fact" that the Broncos decision-makers came away highly impressed with Atlanta Falcons Offensive Coordinator Kyle Shanahan after his interview this past Saturday. Schefter didn't state that Kyle was the front runner, but seemed to throw some water on the Vance Joseph fire, and spark the Kyle Shanahan talk.

ESPN's Jeff Legwold was a bit more direct when he told KOA's Andy Lindahl that Kyle Shanahan is the top candidate AND the current leading candidate for the Denver Broncos Head Coaching job.

These are the first reports about Kyle Shanahan actually being the front-runner for the job, and it is coming from two of the best when it comes to covering the Broncos.

Now, the Broncos do have Vance Joseph coming in for an official interview tomorrow and everything could change after that too, so we shall see.

If you are like me and want to see Kyle Shanahan being the next Denver Broncos Head Coach, you should be at least a little excited about Schefter's and Legwold's reports. "

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?text=Schefter%3A+Broncos+were+highly+im pressed+with+Kyle&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.milehighreport.com%2F2017%2F1%2 F9%2F14219380%2Fadam-schefter-says-the-broncos-were-highly-impressed-with-kyle

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Getting what he got out of Hoyer in Cleveland might have been more impressive than RGIII.

I think I'd be happy with either hire

pnbronco
01-09-2017, 11:16 PM
I was looking at Kyle's Wiki page and saw this:

“I studied every potential Xs and Os play and issue possible. I spent my whole life working on that. My goal was that any question a player could have about anything on the field, I'd be able to answer it. ”
— Kyle Shanahan

TXBRONC
01-09-2017, 11:21 PM
Elway's mind is made up. Joseph was all but officially the guy the minute Kube's stepped down. I don't think they are even going through the process of hiring others with an open mind.

I don't think Elway is into wasting time like that. Joseph might be the leading candidate but if Elway were already sold on him as head coach Shanahan and Toub wouldn't have been interviewed.

Cugel
01-11-2017, 05:39 PM
I don't think Elway is into wasting time like that. Joseph might be the leading candidate but if Elway were already sold on him as head coach Shanahan and Toub wouldn't have been interviewed.

Well, so much for that theory. :coffee:

dogfish
01-11-2017, 05:56 PM
we better hope kyle wants to go to san fran. . . it could suck for us if he goes to san diego, and gets the kind of production out of rivers and melvin gordon that he got out of matt ryan and the ATL backs. . .

Hawgdriver
01-11-2017, 06:47 PM
we better hope kyle wants to go to san fran. . . it could suck for us if he goes to san diego, and gets the kind of production out of rivers and melvin gordon that he got out of matt ryan and the ATL backs. . .

What do you mean? Don't we want him to go there so he can showcase his lack of leader of men ability? :rolleyes:

pnbronco
01-11-2017, 10:05 PM

Where would you go? To SF with that mess, insane cost of living, a FO that seems to micro manage. Or San Diego with great weather, Rivers that still has talent and they were so close this year to winning a lot of games. They just had a lot injuries and the ball not bouncing their way. Plus the management seems to be pretty patience.

Now his Dad went to SF and maybe Kyle feels like it was a good path....but who the heck knows.... :banghead:

We could end up with Kyle in SD working with Rivers and Wade in Oak working with Khalil Mack with all our defects in his head...:rain:

Nomad
01-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Where would you go? To SF with that mess, insane cost of living, a FO that seems to micro manage. Or San Diego with great weather, Rivers that still has talent and they were so close this year to winning a lot of games. They just had a lot injuries and the ball not bouncing their way. Plus the management seems to be pretty patience.

Now his Dad went to SF and maybe Kyle feels like it was a good path....but who the heck knows.... :banghead:

We could end up with Kyle in SD working with Rivers and Wade in Oak working with Khalil Mack with all our defects in his head...:rain:

I read it's a go for the Chargers moving to LA.

pnbronco
01-11-2017, 10:21 PM
I read it's a go for the Chargers moving to LA.

So is that good or bad? Are sharing the Stadium with the Rams?

Nomad
01-11-2017, 10:26 PM
So is that good or bad? Are sharing the Stadium with the Rams?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18455802/chargers-expected-announce-move-san-diego-los-angeles

Schefter reporting.

Nomad
01-11-2017, 10:45 PM
pn.....it wouldn't shock me if Kyle just stays in ATL, unless the Texans job comes open. ;)

pnbronco
01-11-2017, 11:16 PM
pn.....it wouldn't shock me if Kyle just stays in ATL, unless the Texans job comes open. ;)

I could see that, but dang it will suck if this bites us in the butt sooner than later.

NightTerror218
01-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Not all good coordinators are good coaches. Mcdaniels and wade are two i can think of.

pnbronco
01-11-2017, 11:28 PM
Not all good coordinators are good coaches. Mcdaniels and wade are two i can think of.

McD was given way, way too much power. By what's happened in the past he could be good now with a really strong GM in place. He was horrible with us but so was Belichick in his first HC job. Wade just never worked out as a HC and seems to have made peace with that. Heck Shany was fired from his first HC job because he wasn't considered good.

It's a crap shot any way you look at it.

At the Raiders game I just saw something that gave me hope that we could get back to where we were the SB year. Now just not feeling that way anymore. I hope VJ is everything that Elway thinks he is.

Cugel
01-12-2017, 04:36 PM

The 49ers job is considered by NFL insiders to be the BEST available head coaching job in the NFL this year. They've got close to $100M free space under the cap, they've got a boatload of high draft picks, and what's more they've just cleaned house, and the new coach might have a chance to bring in his own GM as well.

For instance, Josh McMoron is considered the most likely candidate in SF and he'd probably be able to bring one of his friends as GM (according to reports). He's going to get 3 years to turn things around. First year, they'll be satisfied if the 49ers are respectable. 9-7 would be great! 8-8 fine. 7-9, a sign of improvement.

If VJ doesn't manage to make the playoffs next year and he's on the hot seat for getting fired. Fail to get to the AFC Championship game by 2018 at the latest and he will be fired. Now that's some pressure!

And it could all be hopeless if Paxton and Siemian fail to develop into an elite QB. Nobody wins consistently in the NFL without a top tier QB. And VJ doesn't get to choose a new QB, he has to coach up Lynch. Maybe that works and maybe it doesn't.

No, I'd much rather be the SF coach. True, their team has a lot less talent, but he's got much more control, and much less is demanded from him there. Make the playoffs in 2018 and he's getting a 4th year.

No way VJ stays the Denver coach for his 4th year unless he at LEAST gets to the AFC Championship.

Poet
01-13-2017, 12:33 AM
Most NFL people had us at number one. Cugel, I can only assume you read the worst sources ever, man.

BroncoWave
01-13-2017, 12:35 AM
So SF is the only job left open and it looks like McD is in line for that one, so Shanahan could get shut out this year. I have to say I did not see that coming.

Poet
01-13-2017, 12:45 AM
So SF is the only job left open and it looks like McD is in line for that one, so Shanahan could get shut out this year. I have to say I did not see that coming.

He just got Mc****** on.

BroncoWave
01-13-2017, 12:51 AM
He just got Mc****** on.

Josh swinging that McDick in his face!

pnbronco
01-13-2017, 01:00 AM
I guess all the teams wanted to get moving right away. I'm really surprised too about Kyle.

Hmmmm McD to SF...if he can pick his own GM, that could really be bad. I guess we will just have to wait and see if he learned anything from his time here in Denver...

pnbronco
01-14-2017, 07:49 PM
Kyle had a great game in Atl....I've been impressed hearing what Lynch was saying what he did to improve the O. He seems like he has a really bright future.

I know Denver has made their decision and that just because Atl improved doesn't mean that it would transfer to here. But you have to wonder what if.... I would have been over the moon if I had watched this game and knew he was coming here....and that's what makes it tough.

Simple Jaded
01-14-2017, 10:51 PM
I guess all the teams wanted to get moving right away. I'm really surprised too about Kyle.

Hmmmm McD to SF...if he can pick his own GM, that could really be bad. I guess we will just have to wait and see if he learned anything from his time here in Denver...

I want Doogie to wait and go to Indy so Denver can get Andrew Luck.

Rick
01-14-2017, 10:53 PM
I want Doogie to wait and go to Indy so Denver can get "The Player".

Fixed it for you.

Nomad
01-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Sounds like McDaniels is staying in New England, and Shanahan has the 9er job.....if he wants it.

WTE
01-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Sounds like McDaniels is staying in New England, and Shanahan has the 9er job.....if he wants it.

Wise move by Josh. Why would he go to a place in which the owner fired the previous 2 coaches after just one season. Plus, I don't think Josh is HC material.

Nomad
01-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Wise move by Josh. Why would he go to a place in which the owner fired the previous 2 coaches after just one season. Plus, I don't think Josh is HC material.

It might be a wise move on Kyle's part to pass on the job as well.

WTE
01-16-2017, 12:38 PM
It might be a wise move on Kyle's part to pass on the job as well.

I would assume he spoke to Chip Kelly who likely did not have anything positive to say about the place.

WTE
01-16-2017, 12:39 PM
Oh wait, I am in BT. I had promised to stay away from this forum. Therefore, disregard my posts.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-16-2017, 12:39 PM

I agree. I understand the desire to become a HC, but the 49ers are a dumpster fire from top to bottom. It's like taking a "promotion" as a VP of a Fortune 500 company to be the CEO of a landfill and be expected to turn it into an art museum. Even if there's a pay raise involved it still feels like a step down.

chazoe60
01-16-2017, 12:56 PM
disregard my posts.

Always do.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2017, 12:57 PM
The Atlanta Falcons remain alive on the Road to Houston, but their talented offensive coordinator might wind up somewhere else.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Kyle Shanahan has emerged as the favorite for San Francisco's head coaching job, per sources informed of the team's thinking.

The 49ers have made that known privately, per Rapoport, but now must wait until Shanahan's season is over before offering him the job. If anyone understands this sequence of events, it's Falcons coach Dan Quinn, the former Seahawks defensive coordinator who wasn't hired by Atlanta until after Seattle's loss to New England in Super Bowl XLIX.

In a related development, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels on Monday took his name out of the running, telling reporters: "At this time, it's best for my family and myself to remain here."

Rapoport reported that Shanahan and McDaniels were considered "co-favorites" for the Niners job heading into this week, with Seahawks assistant Tom Cable also hanging around as a potential candidate.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000775180/article/falcons-oc-kyle-shanahan-the-favorite-for-49ers-job

Simple Jaded
01-16-2017, 01:25 PM
I hope Shanahan pulls his name out of consideration.

Simple Jaded
01-16-2017, 01:27 PM
I would assume he spoke to Chip Kelly who likely did not have anything positive to say about the place.

Who cares what Kelly has to say?

Simple Jaded
01-16-2017, 01:30 PM
Most NFL people had us at number one. Cugel, I can only assume you read the worst sources ever, man.

Cugel's source is obviously Cugel.

Cugel
01-16-2017, 06:43 PM

All the reporters on 104.3 the Fan and the former coaches they were interviewing were saying that SF was the #1 coaching vacancy for obvious reasons. Whoever takes that job will have much more power than Vance Joseph will under Elway. And they are in rebuilding mode, so there are no expectations. If you win 7 games its all good.

If Vance Joseph wins 8 games next year, he's likely to be fired, or at least on the hot seat.

And yet BOTH coaches fate will probably depend on factors out of their control, particularly whether they can find a franchise QB. Right now, neither coach has a proven Franchise QB (and no Blaine Gabbert does not count).

Honestly, whoever takes the SF job might very well last longer in that job. True, you might get Denver back to the AFC Championship game. But, if not, you could be fired in a hurry. Like 2 years tops.

Cugel
01-16-2017, 06:45 PM
Cugel's source is obviously Cugel.

What is the point of saying something so obviously stupid? My sources are NEVER me. Just because you don't know what other commentators are saying publicly doesn't mean I'm equally mentally challenged.

Poet
01-16-2017, 06:48 PM
All the reporters on 104.3 the Fan and the former coaches they were interviewing were saying that SF was the #1 coaching vacancy for obvious reasons. Whoever takes that job will have much more power than Vance Joseph will under Elway. And they are in rebuilding mode, so there are no expectations. If you win 7 games its all good.

If Vance Joseph wins 8 games next year, he's likely to be fired, or at least on the hot seat.

And yet BOTH coaches fate will probably depend on factors out of their control, particularly whether they can find a franchise QB. Right now, neither coach has a proven Franchise QB (and no Blaine Gabbert does not count).

Honestly, whoever takes the SF job might very well last longer in that job. True, you might get Denver back to the AFC Championship game. But, if not, you could be fired in a hurry. Like 2 years tops.

I'm talking national media guys. I can understand the take if you just want to coast by as a coach, but these guys are competitive. No one just wants to coast.

Rick
01-16-2017, 07:14 PM
SF will actually be a good place for Kyle.

Tons of cap and high pick.

I think Kyle might actually find a way to use kap.

NightTerror218
01-16-2017, 11:48 PM
NFL and ESPN had broncos as #1 spot. Amazing ownership. Good team management. And d3fensive talent.

Joel
01-17-2017, 03:39 AM
This feels like a reverse McDumbass: Instead of a great offense in need of a total defensive rebuild hiring an offensive maven with no HC experience who burns down the GOOD half of the team, a great D in need of a total offensive rebuild hires a defensive maven with no HC experience who burns down the good half of the team.

Fingers crossed, but passing on Shanahan when he runs precisely the offense we're trying to install, and refusing Wade a raise because we didn't want to lose one of his assistants, has me feeling like we'll be kicking ourselves in a few years for not staying with Wades D and letting Shanahan develop Lynch, a run game and a LINE.

Poet
01-17-2017, 04:22 AM
This feels like a reverse McDumbass: Instead of a great offense in need of a total defensive rebuild hiring an offensive maven with no HC experience who burns down the GOOD half of the team, a great D in need of a total offensive rebuild hires a defensive maven with no HC experience who burns down the good half of the team.

Fingers crossed, but passing on Shanahan when he runs precisely the offense we're trying to install, and refusing Wade a raise because we didn't want to lose one of his assistants, has me feeling like we'll be kicking ourselves in a few years for not staying with Wades D and letting Shanahan develop Lynch, a run game and a LINE.

You routinely said Kubiak was not responsible for the line. This was after you championed hiring Kubiak to because he could help with the line. Just thought you should know.

TXBRONC
01-17-2017, 09:49 AM

It's universal that if team is going to hire a new head coach they want to do that as quickly as possible because they want the staff in place before the draft.

I'll give McDaniels the benefit of doubt that he learned something but that doesn't mean it will make him a better head coach the second time. There are plenty of coordinators who are great at their job and are smart but that doesn't mean they will be worth a plug nickle as head coach.

TXBRONC
01-17-2017, 09:59 AM

I don't know that reporters on 104.3 seeing beause most don't see it that way. Yeah whoever takes the job in San Francisco could be their long time but currect history shows that it's not a great job. Denver is seen as the better landing spot for several reasons. They had a losing record in six years, are only one year removed from a Super Bowl win, have core very good players to build around, and GM who believes strongly in keeping the team well stocked with young talent.

I Eat Staples
01-17-2017, 11:56 AM
SF is a HORRIBLE spot for a coach. They fired their coach and GM after 1 season with the worst roster in the NFL. That's after firing a position coach who should have never been promoted after just 1 season, and THAT'S after running a fantastic coach out of town.

No talent and one of the worst owners in sports. Why would anyone want that?

Cugel
01-17-2017, 12:38 PM
I'm talking national media guys. I can understand the take if you just want to coast by as a coach, but these guys are competitive. No one just wants to coast.

Personally, I'd agree. But, why then do coaches take hopeless jobs like the Cleveland Browns head coach for instance, where you KNOW that the team will NEVER win, because they have a disfunctional front office; maybe an owner like Jerry Jones or Rick Snyder who loves to interfere in personnel decisions "because it's my team?" The answer seems to be the obvious one: "it's a job in the NFL, and they're paying me a boat-load of cash."

An example that CJ made on the radio the other day was from Hard Knocks where the owner is sitting there in a team coaches meeting in the off-season and they're saying "we need a new TE." And the owner comes back and says "well we can convert so-and-so from DE to offensive TE." And the coaches don't dare say out loud "that's just the stupidest idea I've heard in a long time", so what they say instead is "but he's never played TE and we don't even know if he can catch the ball." And the owner just plows over that objection saying "well, OK, we'll have to coach him up on his pass catching skills. So, that problem's solved." And nobody in the room can contradict him.

Personally, I would 100 times rather have the Denver job, but lots of coaches disagree. They think they can turn things around if they are given enough time to do it and in Denver the one thing you don't get is a lot of time. They expect instant results here. And that can be a negative factor for a lot of coaches.

Cugel
01-17-2017, 12:45 PM
SF is a HORRIBLE spot for a coach. They fired their coach and GM after 1 season with the worst roster in the NFL. That's after firing a position coach who should have never been promoted after just 1 season, and THAT'S after running a fantastic coach out of town.

You guys are Denver fans, of course you're going to say that. Then explain why a guy like Kyle Shanahan would take the job? Answer: they're getting a clean slate and unlimited power, and 3 or more likely 4 years to get things turned around. And lots of people would rather come in with a clean slate and start completely fresh, rather than step into a job where the previous guy won the SB and you're expected to do the same, right away.

And most guys who are head coaches think they can turn things around if they get that time.

You're forcing me to explain a position I don't really agree with, yet it's blindingly obvious that most NFL coaches do NOT agree that it's better to come to Denver and be expected to win a SB, largely with the personnel already on the roster, and to have to do whatever John Elway says, because he's in charge.

Lots of guys DON'T want that situation. Lots want the freedom to do what THEY think is right and have the owner step back and let them run it their way. And they'll have nearly $100 M under the cap to accomplish the task.

It's a "better to be the king in my own hovel, than a beggar living in a palace" attitude.

As for Chip Kelly, he was a total disaster, which is why he got fired. If you showed up to your job not wearing any pants, you might get fired too. And that's basically what Chip Kelly does everywhere he goes.

NightTerror218
01-17-2017, 12:50 PM
You guys are Denver fans, of course you're going to say that. Then explain why a guy like Kyle Shanahan would take the job? Answer: they're getting a clean slate and unlimited power, and 3 or more likely 4 years to get things turned around. And lots of people would rather come in with a clean slate and start completely fresh, rather than step into a job where the previous guy won the SB and you're expected to do the same, right away.

And most guys who are head coaches think they can turn things around if they get that time.

You're forcing me to explain a position I don't really agree with, yet it's blindingly obvious that most NFL coaches do NOT agree that it's better to come to Denver and be expected to win a SB, largely with the personnel already on the roster, and to have to do whatever John Elway says, because he's in charge.

Lots of guys DON'T want that situation. Lots want the freedom to do what THEY think is right and have the owner step back and let them run it their way. And they'll have nearly $100 M under the cap to accomplish the task.

It's a "better to be the king in my own hovel, than a beggar living in a palace" attitude.

As for Chip Kelly, he was a total disaster, which is why he got fired. If you showed up to your job not wearing any pants, you might get fired too. And that's basically what Chip Kelly does everywhere he goes.

That is an assumption that HC do not want to be in that position. But you dont really. Was there a poll?

edit:
I just googled and every ranking done after kubiak retired has broncos as best HC opening. CBS, NFL and ESPN all had rankings.

I Eat Staples
01-17-2017, 01:02 PM

If you think Kelly is a bad coach, fine. But if they thought that, they wouldn't have hired him in the first place. What did he do to change their opinion of him this season? Did they honestly expect to win more games with that horrible, horrible roster?

Cugel
01-17-2017, 01:11 PM
If you think Kelly is a bad coach, fine. But if they thought that, they wouldn't have hired him in the first place. What did he do to change their opinion of him this season? Did they honestly expect to win more games with that horrible, horrible roster?

You have asked one of the imponderable questions of life that have no logical explanation. Why did they hire Chip Kelly in the first place when it was obvious to the world after his stint in Philly that he can't coach in the NFL.

Here's a real stumper: "Why is Jacksonville interviewing him for an Offensive Coordinator job after he flamed out everywhere else he's gone and proven his system doesn't work in the NFL?" If you can answer that Q you win a cookie.

I Eat Staples
01-17-2017, 01:58 PM
You have asked one of the imponderable questions of life that have no logical explanation. Why did they hire Chip Kelly in the first place when it was obvious to the world after his stint in Philly that he can't coach in the NFL.

Here's a real stumper: "Why is Jacksonville interviewing him for an Offensive Coordinator job after he flamed out everywhere else he's gone and proven his system doesn't work in the NFL?" If you can answer that Q you win a cookie.

He won the division in his first year in Philly. They had one of the top offenses in the NFL. Not sure how that equates to "proven his system doesn't work in the NFL."

His problems in Philly came when he was given GM responsibilities.

Simple Jaded
01-17-2017, 02:09 PM
What is the point of saying something so obviously stupid? My sources are NEVER me. Just because you don't know what other commentators are saying publicly doesn't mean I'm equally mentally challenged.

I couldn't help it, Cugel, you have a way of posting like your opinion is fact.

Joel
01-17-2017, 02:51 PM
You routinely said Kubiak was not responsible for the line. This was after you championed hiring Kubiak to because he could help with the line. Just thought you should know.
I NEVER said KUBIAK would help the line: I explicitly and consistently said I wanted him in large part because he'd bring DENNISON and THAT would help with the line. I didn't expect Clancy Barone to stay on board despite all that though, and that was too much for anyone to overcome; the one silver lining for me in this cloud is that, after SEVEN years of coaching Denver TEs, then linemen, then TEs again, then linemen again, all to CONSISTENT AND TOTAL FUTILITY, Barone's finally gone.

Link a SINGLE post where I said KUBIAK would fix the line, rather than bring along Dennison to do so. Kubiak's a former RB coach and former QB coach, and his lengthy resume of Pro Bowl QBs and RBs speaks for itself, but he's NEVER been responsible for offensive line coaching. Dennison HAS, and all his previous units were similarly successful in Baltimore, Houston and Denver. Yet Barones lines and TEs have been awful annually since McDumbass brought him to Denver in '09; throw in the rejects and bargain bin "starters" Elway allowed them to sign and it was always hopeless.

Poet
01-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Joel, yes you did. It wasn't Kubiak's job but it would be Shanahan's. /done. I'm not going to go digging through your posts to 'prove' something you posted for damn near four months.

Joel
01-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Joel, yes you did. It wasn't Kubiak's job but it would be Shanahan's. /done. I'm not going to go digging through your posts to 'prove' something you posted for damn near four months.
You can't be bothered to cite ANY evidence for statements that are a (supposedly copious) matter of record? You should skip litigation and go straight to politics. ;)

Poet
01-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Just for you Joel - I will cut taxes by raising taxes and raise taxes by cutting taxes.

FanInAZ
01-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Heck Shany was fired from his first HC job because he wasn't considered good.

It was my understanding at the time that he wanted the players to start acting like professionals, including not allowing them to sit on their helmets when they were on the sideline.

Nomad
01-18-2017, 12:11 AM

Says a lot that even Tom Cable backed out.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Says a lot that even Tom Cable backed out.

I think it will be hilarious if Shanahan changes his mind, too.

DenBronx
01-22-2017, 05:16 PM
****!

Rick
01-22-2017, 05:19 PM
Sure am glad we didn't go for the architect of THAT shitty offense.

Nomad
01-22-2017, 05:23 PM
Yeah, Kyle has the same results here because the BRONCOS have the same players.

Rick
01-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Didn't say he would but I do have a ton of faith he would have made it work.

He has had success with QBs not named Ryan, we have 2 all pro wrs and an all pro RB so not like the cupboard is bare.

Nomad
01-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Didn't say he would but I do have a ton of faith he would have made it work.

He has had success with QBs not named Ryan, we have 2 all pro wrs and an all pro RB so not like the cupboard is bare.

I do agree that Kyle is an excellent OC. Too many hedge their opinions he'll be the same as a HC, but he would have a mountain to climb at Dove Valley to have an offense like the Dirty Birds.

Rick
01-22-2017, 05:38 PM
I do have some faith in the combo of McCoy and Musgrave that they will figure something out with the offense and figure how to get some points.

I just can't help wondering what Kyle's offense would have done here.

To be fair, the simplified verbiage of our new offences may be better for our QBs.

Nomad
01-22-2017, 05:40 PM
I do have some faith in the combo of McCoy and Musgrave that they will figure something out with the offense and figure how to get some points.

I just can't help wondering what Kyle's offense would have done here.

To be fair, the simplified verbiage of our new offences may be better for our QBs.

I do agree, Rick. I guess I'm such an Elway homer because of what he has done to this team since the McDaniel's debacle, that I trust his judgement on this team.

slim
01-22-2017, 05:42 PM
:mad:

Nomad
01-22-2017, 05:43 PM
:mad:

What are you mad about?

slim
01-22-2017, 06:11 PM
What are you mad about?

We should have hired Shanny.

Nomad
01-22-2017, 06:13 PM
We should have hired Shanny.

Trust in Elway.

slim
01-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Trust in Elway.

This was so unbelievably obvious; I am having a hard time doing that.

Poet
01-22-2017, 06:16 PM

I was sad. But VJ is a solid candidate.

slim
01-22-2017, 06:17 PM

I don't have anything against VJ. I hope he does well.

Nomad
01-22-2017, 06:20 PM

Well, we'll see, because going to SF, Kyle will be able to prove himself.

Right now, Kyle proves he can take great players to succeed.

Poet
01-22-2017, 06:25 PM
I don't have anything against VJ. I hope he does well.

He was a beast when he coached Cincinnati. They blocked him from interviewing with other teams as a DC for one year. That's pretty rare.

I would have preferred Shanahan. But he's going to get Mc****** in SF.

slim
01-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Well, we'll see, because going to SF, Kyle will be able to prove himself.

Right now, Kyle proves he can take great players to succeed.

What has VJ proven?

dogfish
01-22-2017, 06:40 PM
What has VJ proven?

he interviews well-- and people like him, damn it!

slim
01-22-2017, 06:41 PM
he interviews well-- and people like him, damn it!

Awesome!

Poet
01-22-2017, 06:42 PM
What has VJ proven?

That he's a good X's and O's coach and that his players find him to be a leader of men.

Nomad
01-22-2017, 06:42 PM
What has VJ proven?

Ask Elway?

So my friend, you're smarter than Elway?

MOtorboat
01-22-2017, 06:46 PM
Shanahan wasn't bringing Ryan, Jones and Freeman to Denver so who gives a shit if they didn't hire him? I don't want a glorified offensive coordinator anyway. I want a head coach.

Hawgdriver
01-22-2017, 06:47 PM
Please tag your posts, ty.

#leaderofmen

PR_oGP4az3k

ShaneFalco
01-22-2017, 06:47 PM
What has VJ proven?

he lays his penis on unsuspecting women

Poet
01-22-2017, 06:56 PM
he lays his penis on unsuspecting women

It is possible to not dismiss allegations while not blindly believing them, either.

ShaneFalco
01-22-2017, 06:57 PM
and king lays his penis on unsuspecting tigers

Poet
01-22-2017, 06:59 PM
and king lays his penis on unsuspecting tigers

Chug cum, smokeboy.

ShaneFalco
01-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Jungle Love!

Broncoknight30
01-22-2017, 07:32 PM
Shanahan wasn't bringing Ryan, Jones and Freeman to Denver so who gives a shit if they didn't hire him? I don't want a glorified offensive coordinator anyway. I want a head coach.

He made a very good offense with Matt Schaub, made RGIII rookie of the year and Matt Ryan never had this kind of success until shanahan.

MOtorboat
01-22-2017, 07:34 PM
He made a very good offense with Matt Schaub, made RGIII rookie of the year and Matt Ryan never had this kind of success until shanahan.

OK.

Poet
01-22-2017, 07:44 PM

Schaub was a good player and had a lot of good seasons. RG3 stopped being good when he tore his ACL. That was more about his raw ability than coaching. Papa Shanahan was awful without a healthy RG3. Matt Ryan has been a top ten QB for almost his entire career.

Shanahan is a fine candidate and the one I wanted. BUt we are acting like he's this legendary prospect and he's not.

Broncoknight30
01-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Schaub was a good player and had a lot of good seasons. RG3 stopped being good when he tore his ACL. That was more about his raw ability than coaching. Papa Shanahan was awful without a healthy RG3. Matt Ryan has been a top ten QB for almost his entire career.

Shanahan is a fine candidate and the one I wanted. BUt we are acting like he's this legendary prospect and he's not.

Kyle Shanahan made an offense and convinced his father to take advantage of RGIIIs skills. That was Kyles offense. Schaub was ok, but come on.

Kyle Shanahan is a brilliant offensive mind.

Poet
01-22-2017, 07:55 PM
Kyle Shanahan made an offense and convinced his father to take advantage of RGIIIs skills. That was Kyles offense. Schaub was ok, but come on.

He made an offense? Really? No. He didn't concoct an offense.

Big Shan was known for lobyying Cousins as the QBOTF. Not RG3.

Schaub led the league in passing yards. He consistently had good numbers on an offense not designed to throw the ball a ton. He was a good QB.

I don't dispute his talent. I dispute the notion that he is so good and VJ is so bad that we should be in preemptive football mourning. I'm also a guy who prefers Shanahan. Sheesh.

MOtorboat
01-22-2017, 07:56 PM

That doesn't make him a brilliant head coach.

Broncoknight30
01-22-2017, 08:10 PM
He made an offense? Really? No. He didn't concoct an offense.

Big Shan was known for lobyying Cousins as the QBOTF. Not RG3.

Schaub led the league in passing yards. He consistently had good numbers on an offense not designed to throw the ball a ton. He was a good QB.

I don't dispute his talent. I dispute the notion that he is so good and VJ is so bad that we should be in preemptive football mourning. I'm also a guy who prefers Shanahan. Sheesh.

This thread is about shanahan not VJ. I said he made very good offenses with some QBs that have been rather average. Right now he is the hottest OC in the NFL.

I have read where Kyle had more say in formulating that offense with RGIII and Mike went along with it. It was dynamic that year and really took advantage of his skills. That was when the "spread option" was pretty popular in the NFL.

Anyway, I don't know if he was will be a good coach. Hard to say. Impossible to say.

Now off topic a bit. I like some of the things VJ is doing. I do like the Mccoy hire.

I just hope Woods stays with the 3-4. I really do. It is the perfect fit for Von Miller.

Poet
01-22-2017, 08:20 PM
This thread is about shanahan not VJ. I said he made very good offenses with some QBs that have been rather average. Right now he is the hottest OC in the NFL.

I have read where Kyle had more say in formulating that offense with RGIII and Mike went along with it. It was dynamic that year and really took advantage of his skills. That was when the "spread option" was pretty popular in the NFL.

Anyway, I don't know if he was will be a good coach. Hard to say. Impossible to say.

Now off topic a bit. I like some of the things VJ is doing. I do like the Mccoy hire.

I just hope Woods stays with the 3-4. I really do. It is the perfect fit for Von Miller.

The conversation went to Shanahan vs. VJ/we should be sad to have VJ not have KS.

Schaub had multiple 4k yard seasons without KS. He still didn't convince Shanahan to draft RG3 when RG3 wasn't wanted by MS.

Broncoknight30
01-22-2017, 08:31 PM
The conversation went to Shanahan vs. VJ/we should be sad to have VJ not have KS.

Schaub had multiple 4k yard seasons without KS. He still didn't convince Shanahan to draft RG3 when RG3 wasn't wanted by MS.
I think he RGIII was forced on Mike by the GM or owner. I think.

Anyway, Schaub had some decent seasons. I still would not consider him above average.

I would have been interested to see if as a head coach could make something out of Lynch.

I am hoping he makes a big move in the ofseason.

Poet
01-22-2017, 08:46 PM
I think he RGIII was forced on Mike by the GM or owner. I think.

Anyway, Schaub had some decent seasons. I still would not consider him above average.

I would have been interested to see if as a head coach could make something out of Lynch.

I am hoping he makes a big move in the ofseason.

He was forced on MS. So I don't understand why you said that KS convinced MS to draft him? RG3 won the job outright, undeniably so, irrc.

If you review Schaub's career, you are going to see many good seasons. Objectively good seasons.

KS with Lynch is what I wanted. I want our talented pirate to develop into a big time QB.

silkamilkamonico
01-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Shanahan is working with a Pro Bowl QB. Denver has 2 clowns at QB. This is probably why VJ is going to fail in Denver, just like Shanahan would have.

DenBronx
01-22-2017, 10:17 PM

Yeah but....just....oh forget it. Damn it all to hell.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-22-2017, 10:20 PM
Shanahan farts thunder

Simple Jaded
01-22-2017, 10:33 PM
Shanahan is working with a Pro Bowl QB. Denver has 2 clowns at QB. This is probably why VJ is going to fail in Denver, just like Shanahan would have.

I remember when you were funny.

Poet
01-22-2017, 11:31 PM
Yeah but....just....oh forget it. Damn it all to hell.

Change your damn avatar!

Broncoknight30
01-23-2017, 12:51 AM
He was forced on MS. So I don't understand why you said that KS convinced MS to draft him? RG3 won the job outright, undeniably so, irrc.

If you review Schaub's career, you are going to see many good seasons. Objectively good seasons.

KS with Lynch is what I wanted. I want our talented pirate to develop into a big time QB.

I did not kyle forced mike to draft him. I said mike gave kyle more say in forming the offense for RGIII.

Poet
01-23-2017, 12:57 AM
I did not kyle forced mike to draft him. I said mike gave kyle more say in forming the offense for RGIII.

I misread what you wrote in a haste. My bad, bro.

pnbronco
01-23-2017, 03:22 AM
That doesn't make him a brilliant head coach.

I understand this. In fact McD is a really, really good OC and was a horrible HC, which may of been what hurt Kyle, since no one knows what kind of of HC he will be since he's never done that job.

But it's tough to see what a great year Matt Ryan is having working with Kyle for 2 years. Knowing that Matt has always been good but not MVP good like he is this year. Hearing that Kyle had a DB coach be the WR coach to give the WR's that different perspectives and it looks like it's working. Polumbus said that Matt is super clear with his QB's in you need to take 2 steps or something like that and do that over and over till they only take the steps he wants them to take. He is very good at creating muscle memory. So I will always wonder what he could of done with Lynch who has raw talent but lacks the NFL language and formations. Since Kyle started with his Dad and so did Kubes I have to wonder if the language was similar so our current players could of built on what they already know.

I know we were not hiring a OC Coach or a QB coach but a head coach that sounds like more of a CEO in today's NFL. It's also tough knowing that Atlanta waited for Quinn to be done and is now going to SB in his second year with some darn good position Coaches. I'm never going to stop supporting my Broncos, but watching these playoff games I can't help but wonder "what if".

pnbronco
01-23-2017, 04:05 AM
That he's a good X's and O's coach and that his players find him to be a leader of men.

I will admit I'm still grumpy about the hire.... but isn't the statement "leader of men" kind of a oxymoron? If the players were acting like men, grown ups, would really they need such a strong leader?

I just wish they would say something like he's great with all types of personalities and understands that it takes the cooperation lot of people to make a team great. I know not as catchy but I could stop rolling my eyes... :rolleyes:

Poet
01-23-2017, 04:17 AM
I will admit I'm still grumpy about the hire.... but isn't the statement "leader of men" kind of a oxymoron? If the players were acting like men, grown ups, would really they need such a strong leader?

I just wish they would say something like he's great with all types of personalities and understands that it takes the cooperation lot of people to make a team great. I know not as catchy but I could stop rolling my eyes... :rolleyes:

Men are lazy, selfish, directionless, volatile, etc. To lead them is to combat those things while getting the most out of their better qualities -toughness, dedicated, strong in body and mind, savvy, caring- towards a goal/s.

slim
01-23-2017, 08:28 AM
Ask Elway?

So my friend, you're smarter than Elway?

Obviously.

Traveler
01-23-2017, 09:56 AM
IIRC, Belichick's team have trouble defending the WCO/ZBS when it can be run correctly. ATL seems to be running on all cylinders at the moment. Will be interesting to see what type of game plan KS can come up with to expose NE's linebackers.

Freyaka
01-23-2017, 10:05 AM
What has VJ proven?

At a HC level, what has Shanny proven? Just to play devils advocate...

slim
01-23-2017, 10:47 AM
At a HC level, what has Shanny proven? Just to play devils advocate...

Nothing. But we were taking about what was proven at the coordinator level.

Freyaka
01-23-2017, 11:16 AM
Nothing. But we were taking about what was proven at the coordinator level.

Nothing "proven" at a coordinator level is an indicator of success at a head coach level, it just means they are a good coordinator. You can be a good head coach and a bad coordinator, you can also be a great coordinator and a terrible head coach (see Wade Phillips, Norv Turner, ect...) At this point, as much as I would have also rather had Shanny, neither have proven a thing as a head coach, both are on even footing. Shanny is just as likely to succeed as Vance is so since Vance, not shanny is our coach, I personally choose not to continue dwelling on something that cannot be changed and give the guy the benefit of the doubt until he gives me reason to do otherwise.

NightTrainLayne
01-23-2017, 11:18 AM
IIRC, Belichick's team have trouble defending the WCO/ZBS when it can be run correctly. ATL seems to be running on all cylinders at the moment. Will be interesting to see what type of game plan KS can come up with to expose NE's linebackers.

You better believe Mike Shanahan will be giving Kyle pointers. If Mike knows one thing, it's how to beat Belichick.

Northman
01-23-2017, 11:43 AM

This is only speculation on my part but perhaps the reason why VJ was chosen over a guy like Shanahan (lets not forget Elway did talk to him) is that the problem with the Broncos last year had more to do with personalities and ownership of the players to do their jobs correctly. Maybe John feels like the talent is there but the right attitude isnt and maybe he felt like Kyle didnt have the moxy as a HC to bring them together in that manner. Its easy to get enamored with fancy OC's but as you pointed out McDaniels when hired by Denver had also come from some great play calling as a OC but then crashed and burned as a leader of men. I have no idea how VJ is going to do but the guy should be given a chance by fans to see if he can do the job, he may not be fancy but its quite possible he is the right guy for the job. What is really interesting about the Falcons/Shanahan thing is that people are quick to give credit to Kyle and not the actual HC of the Falcons. The reality could simply be that the chemistry was just right for Kyle and the Falcons and had he come to Denver as a HC it may not have turned out nearly as well.

Nomad
01-23-2017, 12:08 PM
Obviously.

At least you admit it. No one else will. :D

slim
01-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Nothing "proven" at a coordinator level is an indicator of success at a head coach level, it just means they are a good coordinator. You can be a good head coach and a bad coordinator, you can also be a great coordinator and a terrible head coach (see Wade Phillips, Norv Turner, ect...) At this point, as much as I would have also rather had Shanny, neither have proven a thing as a head coach, both are on even footing. Shanny is just as likely to succeed as Vance is so since Vance, not shanny is our coach, I personally choose not to continue dwelling on something that cannot be changed and give the guy the benefit of the doubt until he gives me reason to do otherwise.

I understand.

Freyaka
01-23-2017, 12:37 PM
I understand.

I do get where you are coming from on this one Slim, but I dunno...it is what it is. I'm still not sold on Vance, but I want to be sold on him because obviously him being successful means the team is successful, so we'll just see what happens from here I guess.

Broncoknight30
01-23-2017, 12:43 PM
This is only speculation on my part but perhaps the reason why VJ was chosen over a guy like Shanahan (lets not forget Elway did talk to him) is that the problem with the Broncos last year had more to do with personalities and ownership of the players to do their jobs correctly. Maybe John feels like the talent is there but the right attitude isnt and maybe he felt like Kyle didnt have the moxy as a HC to bring them together in that manner. Its easy to get enamored with fancy OC's but as you pointed out McDaniels when hired by Denver had also come from some great play calling as a OC but then crashed and burned as a leader of men. I have no idea how VJ is going to do but the guy should be given a chance by fans to see if he can do the job, he may not be fancy but its quite possible he is the right guy for the job. What is really interesting about the Falcons/Shanahan thing is that people are quick to give credit to Kyle and not the actual HC of the Falcons. The reality could simply be that the chemistry was just right for Kyle and the Falcons and had he come to Denver as a HC it may not have turned out nearly as well.

I am guessing kyle will be a lot different than Mcdick. I think Kyle has been around the game in such a way that has given him a unique perspective.

I know Mcdick was brought up in NE, but that was truly ONE perspective. Let me put it this way. When I saw Mcdick dressing in a Hoodia and twirling the whistle EXACTLY like Belichick does (watch Belichick while coaching practice, it is just something he does) I just shook my head. Mcdaniels father is this "legendary" coach in HIGH SCHOOL in Ohio. I just don't think he had or has any real clue on how to deal with people.

I personally think Kyle Shanahan will have far more humility in dealing with personnel. From coaches to players. That might very well be my biased perspective or opinion.

Northman
01-23-2017, 12:46 PM
I am guessing kyle will be a lot different than Mcdick. I think Kyle has been around the game in such a way that has given him a unique perspective.

I know Mcdick was brought up in NE, but that was truly ONE perspective. Let me put it this way. When I saw Mcdick dressing in a Hoodia and twirling the whistle EXACTLY like Belichick does (watch Belichick while coaching practice, it is just something he does) I just shook my head. Mcdaniels father is this "legendary" coach in HIGH SCHOOL in Ohio. I just don't think he had or has any real clue on how to deal with people.

I personally think Kyle Shanahan will have far more humility in dealing with personnel. From coaches to players. That might very well be my biased perspective or opinion.

Possible, and it helps that his dad was a former coach as well. But at the same time nothing is really ever guaranteed. Same can be said for VJ.