PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak Retiring?

Pages : [1] 2

Shazam!
01-01-2017, 07:31 AM
Good morning Broncos Country, Happy New Year to all.

I just got an alert from ESPN via Adam Schefter's report that Kubiak is stepping down and will retire following this Season.

This somewhat contradicts earlier statements made by him regarding his future.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/denver-broncos-gary-kubiak-future-010117%3Famp%3Dtrue

VonDoom
01-01-2017, 07:37 AM
This was being talked about a lot yesterday but I didn't buy it. Now Schefter is reporting it, though, which makes me think it's happening. I'm kind of shocked to be honest.

With his family concerned about his health, Gary Kubiak likely is stepping down as the Denver Broncos head coach, multiple league sources told ESPN.

It would leave Denver searching for another head coach just two years after hiring Kubiak, who helped lead the Broncos to a Super Bowl title less than one year ago. But this year has taken a toll on the 55-year-old Kubiak and his family.

Kubiak had to take leave from the Broncos for a week in October and miss a Thursday night game in San Diego due to what the team called a "complex migraine condition." Back in 2013, when Kubiak was coaching the Houston Texans, he suffered a mini-stroke during a game and had to be rushed to the hospital.

Physically, the demands of the job have become too risky for Kubiak, according to sources.

Asked Friday about his future with the team, Kubiak was non-committal.

"I love this league," Kubiak told reporters. "I love the Broncos. I love the work, you know? You know, I'm all in on the Raiders right now. There will be time for reflection and all that stuff next week, but right now it's time to focus on what we're doing."

Kubiak's plans will be finalized next week. This move might come as a surprise to many around the league, but there have been whispers throughout the year that Kubiak's family wanted him to leave coaching and head to their retirement ranch in Texas. It now looks like a distinct possibility, with Sunday likely being his last game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18386784/denver-broncos-coach-gary-kubiak-likely-stepping-down

I can't say I blame him, though. He's had two big health scares in recent years, so is coaching worth it? Plus he got that Super Bowl - there's really not much else to accomplish.

So if true, what does this mean for our football team? The offensive staff will be gutted, which might have happened anyway. Will Wade stay on? After that talk of his contract being up, now I'm a little worried.

Who would we bring it? Rapoport is saying to keep an eye on Vance Joseph, because we wanted him two years ago. I'd try to get Kyle Shanahan, but I don't know if that would be likely with our organization.

GEM
01-01-2017, 07:38 AM
Whose Wheaties did we shit in to deserve this season and all the shit that came with it? Happy effing New Year.

sneakers
01-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Hmmmm did elway have any other back up qbs? Bubby Brister gonna be coach next?

Dzone
01-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Waking up to this news on New Years day. What the hey

Dzone
01-01-2017, 07:52 AM
Vance Joseph to get serious consideration according to NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000766650/article/gary-kubiak-considering-to-retire-after-sundays-game

MOtorboat
01-01-2017, 08:29 AM
D-Mac saying (I wouldn't say reporting) offensive coaches heads were going to roll, so there may have been some pressure to step down. I don't know, he's usually blowing smoke, but that's just about what everyone expected.

MOtorboat
I wish Kubiak well. He brought Denver a championship.

Shazam!
Kyle Shanahan?

GEM
01-01-2017, 08:30 AM
D-Mac saying (I wouldn't say reporting) offensive coaches heads were going to roll, so there may have been some pressure to step down. I don't know, he's usually blowing smoke, but that's just about what everyone expected.

Cant stand dmac. He throws so much shit at the wall hoping it sticks.

Broncoknight30
01-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Josh McDaniels

Shazam!
01-01-2017, 08:44 AM
Pressure from Elway. Has to be. Not happy with the no kicking and screaming. Again.

Freyaka
01-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Kyle Shanahan?

That's my favorite choice for the job honestly.

OrangeHoof
01-01-2017, 09:15 AM
CBS.com's angle is that Wade Phillips' contract is up for renewal and if Elway won't retain Wade, Kubiak will retire. That's probably smart because Kubes admits he doesn't do defense and the guys he had before Wade in Houston were terrible. I can't imagine Wade staying if Kubiak goes **unless** Wade is still clinging to that fantasy that he can be a great head coach. We've seen his track record as head coach and so has John.

So, guys, it's a two-fer. Either we lose Kubes and Wade or we lose neither.

Freyaka
01-01-2017, 09:16 AM
Josh McDaniels

http://ragefaces.memesoftware.com/faces/large/angry-say-what-again-l.png

OrangeHoof
01-01-2017, 09:18 AM
BTW, there's no worse New Year's for Broncos fans than the one where he lost a winnable final game to San Francisco at home that cost us a playoff berth and then woke up to the news that Darent Williams was murdered.

Nothing else comes close.

Freyaka
01-01-2017, 09:22 AM
BTW, there's no worse New Year's for Broncos fans than the one where he lost a winnable final game to San Francisco at home that cost us a playoff berth and then woke up to the news that Darent Williams was murdered.

Nothing else comes close.

10 years ago today.... :(

Rick
01-01-2017, 09:27 AM
I think Kyle would be my top pick, young, fresh ideas, see if he can replicate the Atlanta success.

It would not surprise me to see Dennison as HC and Knapp as OC though...

Broncoknight30
01-01-2017, 09:35 AM
I think Kyle would be my top pick, young, fresh ideas, see if he can replicate the Atlanta success.

Honestly, I think I would rather McDaniels and Tebow as QB than Dennison.

VonDoom
01-01-2017, 09:36 AM
That's my favorite choice for the job honestly.

That's who I would want. Not sure it happens, though.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 09:37 AM
With this defense I think the team is too Super Bowl ready for Elway to bring in a first time HC.

VonDoom
01-01-2017, 09:37 AM

Word was that coaching changes were going to be happening on the offensive side. Whether that would have been Dennison getting the axe or not, who knows? But I doubt he's in line for a promotion.

VonDoom
01-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h1 hour ago

Several Broncos assistant coaches have told me Kubiak was acting different this week. Distant, distracted. Now they know why. #9sports

Several Broncos offensive coaches were going to be dismissed. Now with Kubiak's apparent resignation, more coaches gone as well. #9sports

In dealing w/media, Kubiak always friendly/honest. Did not appear to suffer any recent health setback. Maybe needed break from job. #9sports

Under current head coach openings, have to think Broncos job listed No. 1 (except for you, Josh). 2nd most wins in Elway era. Fans. #9sports

VonDoom
01-01-2017, 09:38 AM

If Kubiak does step down, Broncos best in-house coaching candidate might be Joe DeCamillis. #9sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 10m10 minutes ago

One possible candidate to replace Kubiak may be coaching for other team today: OAK OC and Grand Junction native Bill Musgrave. #9sports

VonDoom
01-01-2017, 09:40 AM

It's a cynical view to say he is leaving because his buddies were going to be fired, but that's about what I expect from D-Mac. I never got the impression that Elway wanted Kubiak gone but he certainly wasn't going to stand pat in other areas.

Rick
01-01-2017, 09:45 AM
Elway believes in this style of offense. It didn't have success this year but this is the style he prefers and fits his young QB.

Who knows though, success trumps all, so if an offensive mind can convince him on another style who knows.

I would go all in oh Kyle though. I would think Kyle as HC and do every thing to keep Wade as DC is best moves.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Will always be thankful for Kubiak handling the QB situation in the manner he did last season and ultimately playing an important part in leading us back to another Super Bowl championship but it's time to move on for all parties involved.

Health is more important than any sport will ever be. Kubiak needs to get away from the daily grind and constant stress of a head coaching gig and enjoy the rest of his life with his loved ones. It not worth risking your well-being having to tackle the responsibilities of this profession whilst spending most of your year away from your family when you've already had a mini stroke and complex migraine issues.

It is also good for the team too. Kubiak's system simply doesn't work in today's NFL and we've seen the struggles of it over the course of the past two seasons. A fresh start on the offensive side of the ball is paramount if we want to take advantage of our all world defense and be able to compete with the Raiders and Chiefs in our own division going forward.

Chatter seems to indicate Vance Joseph is our man. We wanted him as our DC when he was DB coach with the Bengals but they wouldn't release him from his contract and we settled on Wade. That worked out wonderful for us. I would love to see us poach him from Miami as a "thank you" for Adam Gase.

Bronco Manuel
01-01-2017, 09:49 AM
I just read the most sad thing I will read all 2017 our beloved coach has decided to leave us and retire because of his health selfishly I want him here forever but I would rather have him alive and healthy he will always be a Bronco 4 Life! We should all give him a standing ovation when the game is over win or lose yell everybody you know put out a massive email or alert to every member of this meet up and we should record it and put it on all social media platforms to show our appreciation Go Broncos 4 Life !

Valar Morghulis
01-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Josh McDaniels

Lol

MOtorboat
01-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Josh McDaniels

Let's do it.

Buff
01-01-2017, 10:12 AM
Slim called this a week or two ago. The most surprising part of this to me is that I'm not all that surprised.

I love Kubiak the man - but his "aww shucks" routine and misplaced loyalties definitely revealed some chinks in his armor this year. Plus I think his offense is no longer as innovative as it once was... In short, it just doesn't feel like he's up for the job - so I'm grateful for the championship and am ready to move on if necessary.

Rick
01-01-2017, 10:17 AM
I don't really get the love affair in the media with Vance Joseph coming here.

Might happen, not saying he is a bad choice, I just don't get why he is such a popular choice.

MOtorboat
01-01-2017, 10:18 AM
I don't really get the love affair in the media with Vance Joseph coming here.

Might happen, not saying he is a bad choice, I just don't get why he is such a popular choice.

Because Elway wanted him over Phillips for DC and now people think he's ready for a head job.

Northman
01-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Im not shocked at this. I think John wants to get rid of some of the coaching staff and Kubes doesnt want to let go of them. Elway is a no nonsense kind of guy but because Kubes has had health issues this is as good a time as any to use it as a reasoning to let Kubes walk with a ring and then find another coach who can open up the offense more. The only question will be if Wade stays behind.

Rick
01-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Considering someone as a coordinator though does not automatically mean they view him as highly at HC.

Elway from what I remember only interviewed him at HC because he really wanted him at DC, not because he really was considering him at HC.

VJ at HC probably means Wade is gone since VJ would probably call defense.

Essentially at that point you are making a defensive coordinator change as well as offensive. Probably entire offense changes.

We need some changes on offense to be sure, but does an entire philosophy change need to happen? What does that mean for your young QBs?

Just makes more sense to go after Kyle and keep Wade.

Who knows though, maybe Elway does want to blow up the offense.

MOtorboat
01-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Wade probably isn't going to be here anymore if Kubiak steps down.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Isn't Miami's defense ranked pretty low? Why replace the leader of one of the top defenses the league has ever seen with the leader of a bottom dwelling defense?

UnderArmour
01-01-2017, 10:37 AM

Word is he never unpacked his car...

Rick
01-01-2017, 10:38 AM
You bring in an offensive HC that is willing to stay the hell out of Wade's way and let him do the job he is one of the best in the league at, I'm not sure why Wade would want to leave.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 10:39 AM

Word is he never unpacked his car...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

MOtorboat
01-01-2017, 10:39 AM
You bring in an offensive HC that is willing to stay the hell out of Wade's way and let him do the job he is one of the best in the league at, I'm not sure why Wade would want to leave.

The new head coach will decide the defensive coordinator.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 10:44 AM
The new head coach will decide the defensive coordinator.

Not always. There have been instances where the GM tells a coach that certain members of the staff are not going anywhere, just like he could tell him certain coaches won't be back. Elway could very well tell any new prospective HC that Wade is untouchable. At that point it would be up to he new HC to decide if he can accept that.

MOtorboat
01-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Not always. There have been instances where the GM tells a coach that certain members of the staff are not going anywhere, just like he could tell him certain coaches won't be back. Elway could very well tell any new prospective HC that Wade is untouchable. At that point it would be up to he new HC to decide if he can accept that.

Handcuffing new head coaches is a recipe for disaster.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 10:49 AM

I wouldn't want any coach who would come in and mess with this defense. Let Wade be Wade.

Broncoknight30
01-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Let's do it.

Just for the chaos it would create.

:)

Rick
01-01-2017, 10:50 AM
Off course he would, but my interview with Elway and asked what do I want to do on defense, my answer would be don't change a dang thing.

Anyone who wouldn't want continuity on the side of the ball that is one of the best in the NFL shouldn't be considered at HC.

Now VJ may very well employ a similar defense but I just feel that any change to defense to be completely unnecessary.

When interviewing I would want to hear what that guy intends to do with my first round QB and to fix the offense, and I want to hear how he isn't going to **** up the defense.

This reminds me of when Shannahan was fired.

We had a good offense and apiece of shit defense. We just needed continuity on offense and a rebuild on defense.

What do we do? Bring in a guy who did very little to improve the defense and instead if continuity on offense he blows the thing up.

MOtorboat
01-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Just for the chaos it would create.

:)

Can you imagine how good he'd make Siemian.

:coffee: :couch:

Buff
01-01-2017, 10:52 AM
Wade probably isn't going to be here anymore if Kubiak steps down.

I think it depends on who Elway brings in. For instance, if DiCamillis got promoted Wade would probably stay on - if they bring in some young defensive coach like Joseph then Wade is probably gone. Which is part of the reason Joseph doesn't make sense to me.

NightTrainLayne
01-01-2017, 10:53 AM

Meh. Handcuffing them to Wade Phillips and the personnel he's worked with for a couple years sounds like a mighty fine recipe to me.

We've handcuffed Eric Studesville to a couple different regimes already, surely Phillips is a good idea.

MOtorboat
01-01-2017, 10:54 AM
I think it depends on who Elway brings in. For instance, if DiCamillis got promoted Wade would probably stay on - if they bring in some young defensive coach like Joseph then Wade is probably gone. Which is part of the reason Joseph doesn't make sense to me.

I just think it should be up to whoever they want to bring in. If he wants to try to bring back Wade, let him do that. I just don't want them handcuffing someone and possibly creating a power struggle and a chain of command issue.

Re Vance Joseph: Aren't he and Wade buddies?

Buff
01-01-2017, 10:55 AM
I just think it should be up to whoever they want to bring in. If he wants to try to bring back Wade, let him do that. I just want them handcuffing someone and possibly creating a power struggle and a chain of command issue.

Elway is going to let his HC hire their own staff - but if he really thought Wade should stay then that's going to be reflected in his HC decision. I think Wade mentored him at some point - but I seem to recall Wade making some comments about how he didn't love how they left him hanging while they were trying to hire Joseph the last time.

NightTrainLayne
01-01-2017, 10:56 AM
I just think it should be up to whoever they want to bring in. If he wants to try to bring back Wade, let him do that. I just don't want them handcuffing someone and possibly creating a power struggle and a chain of command issue.

I would think that if Joseph were the guy, Wade would be a great fit for him. He worked under Wade, and seemed to have affection for him.

turftoad
01-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Elway is going to let his HC hire their own staff - but if he really thought Wade should stay then that's going to be reflected in his HC decision. I think Wade mentored him at some point - but I seem to recall Wade making some comments about how he didn't love how they left him hanging while they were trying to hire Joseph the last time.
Agreed. What coach in thier right mind wouldn't want to keep this defense in tact. The defense isn't broke so why try to fix it.

Northman
01-01-2017, 11:06 AM

Im not a HC but if i was i surely wouldnt want Wade to go anywhere. His track record pretty much speaks for itself and keeping him on with me as HC would be the smarter move. But maybe thats just me. :lol:

pnbronco
01-01-2017, 11:11 AM
I'm glad that Kubes is doing this for his health, but dang I'm so sad for myself. He is such a good man and every player that played for him that I've talk to just loves him and believes in him. Thank you for everything Coach.

Rick
01-01-2017, 11:25 AM
My mind set is this.

IF I already know Wade will not be here and I really feel VJ is a fantastic mind and only way I get him is at HC then fine, let's talk.

But I need to hear what is the plan on offense because let's face it, offense is the reason we are not competing for a superbowl this year, not defense.

Question is how do I KNOW this? Has Wade said he will only work for Kubiak? Is Wade going to retire?

If Wade isn't retiring, why would he want to go DC somewhere else??

Is it John doesn't want to pay him top DC money? WTF not?

If I don't know Wade wants to leave then what is the purpose of bringing in a guy who's specialty is on the defensive side of the ball?

Shazam!
01-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Mike Shanahan? A reunion?

Rick
01-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Kyle at HC, Mike Shannahan OC to help his boy get the offense fixed, Dennison OL coach, Wade DC (groom Woods to take over as DC in a few years).

Let's get this shit done.

pnbronco
01-01-2017, 11:44 AM
BTW I just read that Elway only has one year left on his contract. So who know what the future holds for Bronco Country...I'm just glad that Kubes got that Super Bowl win as a head coach and that insanely big ring.

Slick
01-01-2017, 11:47 AM
Wade will be 70 in June and I believe his contract expires this year.

We should prepare ourselves for some big changes.

Personally, I don't want the Shanahans or anyone currently on staff.

Valar Morghulis
01-01-2017, 12:04 PM
Wade will be 70 in June and I believe his contract expires this year. We should prepare ourselves for some big changes. Personally, I don't want the Shanahans or anyone currently on staff.

Agree on wade. But I have a man crush on Kyle. No interest in seeing shanny Sr though

DenBronx
01-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Josh McDaniels

404 Error Not Found

MOtorboat
01-01-2017, 12:55 PM
404 Error Not Found

Exactly. Errors not found.

Let's do this!

spikerman
01-01-2017, 12:58 PM
I could be on board with McDaniels because I have to assume that he learned a lot from his last stint and Elway would keep him in check. For instance, he would probably tell him that he needs to stay away from the defense. That being said, there's no way Elway would bring him in. Elway took quite a few well-deserved shots at him when he took over.

Timmy!
01-01-2017, 01:03 PM
Exactly. Errors not found.

Let's do this!

I will kill you until you die from it.

Mike
01-01-2017, 01:04 PM
**** no to McDaniels. You guys are nuts.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 01:04 PM

This made me :lol:

MOtorboat
01-01-2017, 01:05 PM

Wait.

Wouldn't I already be dead?

spikerman
01-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Here's a name.... Tom Coughlin.

Valar Morghulis
01-01-2017, 01:27 PM

God no

Rick
01-01-2017, 01:27 PM

You are right, it absolutely IS a name.

Since that is settled...

Any thoughts on who we should hire to be HC? :)

spikerman
01-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Ok, now explain to me why. He's a conservative coach who believes in a strong running game and good defense. That's also what Elway believes. He's also a proven winner. I'm watching Vance Joseph's defense at work against the Patriots and I'll pass.

Valar Morghulis
01-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Ok, now explain to me why. He's a conservative coach who believes in a strong running game and good defense. That's also what Elway believes. He's also a proven winner. I'm watching Vance Joseph's defense at work against the Patriots and I'll pass.

He's more out of touch than kubiak was

I don't want conservative, I want innovative.

Northman
01-01-2017, 01:33 PM

Pretty much.

Rick
01-01-2017, 01:35 PM
I think Elway believes in strong defense and a strong running game but I do not believe that Elway believes in a conservative offense.

We have played conservative out of need, if our offense was more consistent*we would have had a lot more deep passes and play action building off the run game.

The aggression wasn't there because we couldn't run and didn't have the blocking to consistently give us the time to go deep. It wasn't because we didn't want to.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 01:36 PM

Yes, but I'm talking about a coach who believes in Elway's philosophy. A good running game with great defense wins in this league,

spikerman
01-01-2017, 01:37 PM
A strong running game and an overall conservative offense is probably necessary considering the QB situation.

VonDoom
01-01-2017, 01:38 PM

He's also 70. I'd pass

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2017, 01:41 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m

Multiple coaches and players said Kubiak said nothing at team meeting Saturday. "None of us knew," a player said. "And coaches didn't know"

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 51m

Multiple players said didn't see this coming w Kubiak. But admitted was odd week. They thought was bc multiple assistant coaches on way out

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 20m

Had multiple prominent DEN asst coaches text me asking what was going on. In other words, Kubiak hasn't told staff anything is up. #9sports

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 30m

I'm told that if Kubiak does step down, it's b/c he's through with the grind of coaching. Not solely about his health.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2017, 01:42 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 14s

Kubiak not mentioning anything to players, coaches not surprising. He never wants to draw attention to himself. Focus on game. That's him.

Rick
01-01-2017, 01:42 PM
I do agree, I am seeing nothing from VJ in this game that is screaming I want this guy.
That I will agree with you on.

That said, conservative HC is not the answer.

Being conservative because you HAVE to, because your team doesn't have the consistency and overall talent to rely on offense...that is one thing.

You don't settle for that though, you work to overcome those offensive issues so you CAN be aggressive when you want.

Nomad
01-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Rumor has been..... Kubiak was going to have to fire his friends, so he'd rather step down. Also, Wade is thinking about retiring.

Poet
01-01-2017, 01:52 PM
If he steps down he steps down as a champion, a leader of men, and a true Denver guy.

Poet
01-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Mike Shanahan? A reunion?

I like winning, so no.

dogfish
01-01-2017, 01:54 PM

the rooney's forced tomlin to keep dick lebeau, and that worked okay. . . i would absolutely do the same thing-- if a candidate doesn't want wade, then he's not smart enough to run this organization. . .

if we bring in a defensive-minded coach and replace the stud we already have, i will cry like a little girl. . . as rick pointed out, we don't need some little dipshit like doogie to come in and tear down the strength of the team. . . it's obvious what needs fixed, and we need an innovative offensive mind who can grow with that side of the ball-- not as an OC who will get poached in a year or two, but as the head man. . .

come on, john. . . forget going after some small fry chump like joseph. . . go back to those stanford roots, and get the guy we weren't in position to get before. . . go get harbaugh out of michigan. . . that guy knows how to build a program that can win in the best division in football. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2017, 01:59 PM
If he goes, I wish him well and thank him for all he has done in Denver throughout the years.

Poet
01-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Didn't Harbaugh lose the locker room at the end of his career? The Niners were really bad under him at the end.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-01-2017, 02:00 PM
I actually like the idea of Harbaugh, but he has a good gig at Michigan.

Rick
01-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Miami Dolphins Defense

Total yards: 30th.
Pass yards: 13th.
Rush yards: 30th.

What exactly is the lure here?

There really isn't anything that defense excels at.

Nomad
Didn't Harbaugh lose the locker room at the end of his career? The Niners were really bad under him at the end.

The 9ers are a lost team to begin with:D

Nomad

Northman
No to Joseph.

chazoe60
01-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Not surprised and kinda happy about it. I really love and respect all that Kubes has done for the Denver Broncos but it's time to walk away.

I'd love to see us hire Kyle Shanahan and draft Deshaun Watson. I know that seems crazy because we drafted Lynch last year but I don't see Lynch panning out and I absolutely love Watson, have for two years now. I hear talk of Watson being a late first round pick, well signs me up.

Poet
01-01-2017, 02:04 PM

He motivated that glout of talent --they picked so high for so long that their talent level was through the roof-- but after some of those guys left they crashed and burned. He made the wrong call with his QB because Smith is a serviceable QB and does a lot of things correctly. He couldn't coach up a young Kaepernick so I'm perplexed at the notion he could coach up Lynch.

Valar Morghulis
01-01-2017, 02:05 PM
I want chip Kelly.

Not really

7DnBrnc53
01-01-2017, 02:06 PM
**** no to McDaniels. You guys are nuts.

I know. There are Bronco fans on another board that are talking up Patriot DC Matt Patricia for Denver HC, too. I said no way. Both of those guys are products of Belichick and Ernie Adams.

Poet
01-01-2017, 02:07 PM
I want chip Kelly.

Not really

Thank goodness! You scared me.

Valar Morghulis
01-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Thank goodness! You scared me.

Haha, yeah, I really want rex Ryan

Not really

chazoe60
01-01-2017, 02:09 PM
I bet we curb stomp the ever-loving shit out of the Raiders today.

Poet
01-01-2017, 02:10 PM

What if the line blocks like a god and we run all over those hoes?

Nomad
01-01-2017, 02:10 PM

That's the spirit.

chazoe60
01-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Im predicting we get our first shut out in ages and beat them 17-0 or something like that.

dogfish
01-01-2017, 02:11 PM

maybe? i don't remember, but it obviously went down hill at the end there. . . regardless, who's a better candidate?

I know. There are Bronco fans on another board that are talking up Patriot DC Matt Patricia for Denver HC, too. I said no way. Both of those guys are products of Belichick and Ernie Adams.

now there's a truly stupid idea. . . those people should all be kicked in the nuts, if they have any. . .

Poet
01-01-2017, 02:12 PM
maybe? i don't remember, but it obviously went down hill at the end there. . . regardless, who's a better candidate?

now there's a truly stupid idea. . . those people should all be kicked in the nuts, if they have any. . .

Kyle Shanahan.

Valar Morghulis
01-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Kyle Shanahan.

Yeah, I'm moist for him, but I'd definitely take harbaugh

Poet
01-01-2017, 02:16 PM

I understand the Haaarbaaaaaar attraction, but the end of his time at SF his team flailed like babies.

Broncoknight30
01-01-2017, 02:17 PM
McDaniels and then let's trade for cutler.

Speaking of that, remember when we thought cutler was a franchise QB?

chazoe60
01-01-2017, 02:18 PM
How about a Dabbo Swinney Deshaun Watson combo?

Nomad
01-01-2017, 02:20 PM

According to the snowflakes in SF, Harbaugh is too mean and expects too much out of his players. SF deserves Chip Kelly. :D

Nomad
01-01-2017, 02:21 PM
How about a Dabbo Swinney Deshaun Watson combo?

Watson got you all excited. Does the wife know about this? :D

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-01-2017, 02:22 PM

I don't remember that. I recall there being a rift between he and their GM.

chazoe60
Watson got you all excited. Does the wife know about this? :D

His poster is on the ceiling above our bed so I'm pretty sure she knows.

Poet
According to the snowflakes in SF, Harbaugh is too mean and expects too much out of his players. SF deserves Chip Kelly. :D

They were a hardnosed defensive team. I don't think they were snowflakes. The knock on JH was that he has one way of communicating with people. That big tough in your face type of thing. That's great at first, but it's a long term failure. Tom Coughlin was like that and he had to change his demeanor to keep his job in New York. That stuff works in college. Kelly is just a passive aggressive ********. His scheme is a NFL failure, and he's ultimately an unlikeable jerk-off.

dogfish
What if the line blocks like a god and we run all over those hoes?

then we fire the coach every week from now on!

Kyle Shanahan.

i think it's debatable, but i'd be on board with hiring shanny the younger-- especially if he'd retain wade. . .

i do think it's notable that harballs is a 3-4 guy defensively, which would potentially make for a smooth transition on that side of the ball, which is critically important right now. . . if we're going to remain in contention, we have to bring in someone who can keep up the performance on that side of the ball for the next few years-- we don't have anywhere close to the talent to become an offensive powerhouse, even with the best coaching hire. . .

dogfish
01-01-2017, 02:25 PM
I don't remember that. I recall there being a rift between he and their GM.

i definitely feel like that was part of the problem. . . of course, harbaugh is an egomaniac, so who knows how long he could co-exist with john. . . the guy has a strong proven record at this level, though, and is still energetic and in his prime. . .

Poet
01-01-2017, 02:27 PM
then we fire the coach every week from now on!

i think it's debatable, but i'd be on board with hiring shanny the younger-- especially if he'd retain wade. . .

i do think it's notable that harballs is a 3-4 guy defensively, which would potentially make for a smooth transition on that side of the ball, which is critically important right now. . . if we're going to remain in contention, we have to bring in someone who can keep up the performance on that side of the ball for the next few years-- we don't have anywhere close to the talent to become an offensive powerhouse, even with the best coaching hire. . .

First line: My brought a chuckle to my troubled soul. Thank you.

Retaining coaches is fairly rare, but it is done in some situations. You either have another young upstart coach that you want to hold onto, or a long staying godbeast. If memory serves, Tomlin could have fired LeBeau, but...I think Harrison would have thrown him throw a building and into another....building. It was strongly encouraged he keep DL. I want a DC who is going to use our talent best. If Phillips wants to stay, he's definitely that guy.

Kyle Shanahan is young and experienced. He's running a current NFL offense and from what I have seen he is a guy who makes adjustments and styles on hoes.

Hoes need styled on.

Nomad
01-01-2017, 02:27 PM
They were a hardnosed defensive team. I don't think they were snowflakes. The knock on JH was that he has one way of communicating with people. That big tough in your face type of thing. That's great at first, but it's a long term failure. Tom Coughlin was like that and he had to change his demeanor to keep his job in New York. That stuff works in college. Kelly is just a passive aggressive ********. His scheme is a NFL failure, and he's ultimately an unlikeable jerk-off.

I believe it was SF that complained their coach was too hard on them, and there was a lot of conflict.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing Harbaugh in orange and blue.

Rick
01-01-2017, 02:28 PM
I am not sure we are that far from a good offense.

We DO have an elite defense though so it needs 1-2 players to fix some issues there and then leave them the hell alone.

Offense we are elite at WR, he have a probowl caliber RB when healthy.

We need to solve the OL and get 1 of the QBs to step up.

If we can solve those with some new OL blood and a QB whisperer we can be a 12-13 win team again.

Poet
01-01-2017, 02:30 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/12323022/jim-harbaugh-says-split-san-francisco-49ers-was-not-mutual

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-49ers-got-rid-of-jim-harbaugh-2014-12

DenBronx
01-01-2017, 02:52 PM
I really don't want anyone else but Kyle Shanahan as our next HC. He knows this offense but he is more cutting edge and I think has adapted more to the speed of the game. He is experienced but young enough to have fresh ideas.

Ziggy
01-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Keep Wade and hire Kyle Shanahan. He runs a modern version of Kubiak's offense. Think of Kube's offense on steroids with innovation and imagination. The current personnel will fit his scheme once we get some offensive lineman with a lick of talent. Right now the Falcons are the #1 scoring team in the league with his system. Combine that scheme with Wade's D and the Broncos are back in the playoff hunt again.

Rick
01-01-2017, 03:14 PM
Keep Wade and hire Kyle Shanahan. He runs a modern version of Kubiak's offense. Think of Kube's offense on steroids with innovation and imagination. The current personnel will fit his scheme once we get some offensive lineman with a lick of talent. Right now the Falcons are the #1 scoring team in the league with his system. Combine that scheme with Wade's D and the Broncos are back in the SUPERBOWL hunt again.

Corrected it for you.

dogfish
01-01-2017, 03:22 PM
ugh. . . just realized that if we do lose wade, we'll most likely lose bill kollar as well. . .

eff it, my mind's made up-- john has to do whatever he can to keep this defensive staff intact. . .

Hawgdriver
01-01-2017, 03:23 PM
Agreed. What coach in thier right mind wouldn't want to keep this defense in tact. The defense isn't broke so why try to fix it.

What Wade has now is the best thing in his career, one in which he will be remembered as one of the best defensive coaches ever. I'd be disappointed if he walked from it of his own choosing, but in that case I wouldn't want him sticking around with reservations.

Rick
01-01-2017, 03:25 PM
I broke down the Miami defensive stat rankings earlier. Atlanta offensive stat rankings:

Total yards: 2nd.
Passing yards: 3rd.
Rushing yards: 7th.

Only team with above 30 ppg at 33.5 ppg.

Just seems like a no brainer to me when the biggest issue on this team is scoring.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 03:30 PM
ugh. . . just realized that if we do lose wade, we'll most likely lose bill kollar as well. . .

eff it, my mind's made up-- john has to do whatever he can to keep this defensive staff intact. . .

Hmmm if Wade walks, I'd consider Kollar as his replacement. That guy chews nails.

Valar Morghulis
01-01-2017, 03:31 PM
ugh. . . just realized that if we do lose wade, we'll most likely lose bill kollar as well. . . eff it, my mind's made up-- john has to do whatever he can to keep this defensive staff intact. . .

Is kollar a potential DC?

spikerman
01-01-2017, 03:32 PM
In case nobody has noticed... Miami's defense stinks.

Rick
01-01-2017, 03:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-360/0ap3000000766246/NFL-360-Quarterbacking-101-with-Matt-Ryan

dogfish
01-01-2017, 03:39 PM

i really have no idea how strong he is with X's and O's. . . i'd hate to see him taken away from his strength, though, which is developing linemen. . . you could always keep him with a promotion to assistant head coach / D-line, IF the new regime wants to keep him. . .

damn, i'm scared! where is fatass slim when i need him to hold me?

Poet
01-01-2017, 03:42 PM
i really have no idea how strong he is with X's and O's. . . i'd hate to see him taken away from his strength, though, which is developing linemen. . . you could always keep him with a promotion to assistant head coach / D-line, IF the new regime wants to keep him. . .

I'm no Slim, but I'm a stand-in.

Broncoknight30
More and more concerned about this wade Philips talk. Just hope someone IF a new DC comes in that they stick with the 3-4 where Von Miller thrives. Imo it was just dumb for him to be playing in a 4-3. OLBs in a 4-3 are simply used differently. 3-4 OLBs are far more versatile and Von is simply tougher for offenses to deal with.

Rick

Can Slim play OL?

Davii
01-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Is Kyle Shanahan ready to be a HC? Would Elway hire a first time HC? Would Mike come work under his son?

Nomad
01-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Who are some 'other than white' coaches you'd consider?

VonDoom
01-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Is Kyle Shanahan ready to be a HC? Would Elway hire a first time HC? Would Mike come work under his son?

He's the hottest name out there. He'll be a HC somewhere next year. It'd be nice if that place was here

Poet
01-01-2017, 04:20 PM

He's been a humble guy his entire career and never expected anything to be given to him. He's a sharp young mind with an affinity with working with others. I think Elway doesn't categorically write shit off. I hope Mike stays retired because he game has passed him on. Or, the nicer way to say it is that he's passed the game onto his son.

dogfish
01-01-2017, 04:21 PM
Can Slim play OL?

i doubt it. . .

there's only one way to know. . . i do tend to think that john would prefer an experienced coach, especially with this team, but i hope he keeps his mind open. . . i don't want to shuffle through a succession of old guys-- sometimes it's worth going through some growing pains to find that guy who can potentially be there for ten or twenty years. . .

if mike did come in with kyle, i personally suspect he'd be in some type of senior consultant role, rather than taking an official position like OC, but you never know. . . does mike still want to work in the league independently, or will he settle in permanently as a member of kyle's staff if and when he gets a top job? i haven't heard anything said on that score, but mike was interested in HC jobs as of last year, so maybe he would humble himself to work as OC for his son in hopes of generating renewed interest in himself. . .

Who are some 'other than white' coaches you'd consider?

jim bob cooter!

wait, am i doing this wrong?

Nomad
01-01-2017, 04:23 PM
i doubt it. . .

there's only one way to know. . . i do tend to think that john would prefer an experienced coach, especially with this team, but i hope he keeps his mind open. . . i don't want to shuffle through a succession of old guys-- sometimes it's worth going through some growing pains to find that guy who can potentially be there for ten or twenty years. . .

if mike did come in with kyle, i personally suspect he'd be in some type of senior consultant role, rather than taking an official position like OC, but you never know. . . does mike still want to work in the league independently, or will he settle in permanently as a member of kyle's staff if and when he gets a top job? i haven't heard anything said on that score, but mike was interested in HC jobs as of last year, so maybe he would humble himself to work as OC for his son in hopes of generating renewed interest in himself. . .

jim bob cooter!

wait, am i doing this wrong?

It was a serious question. I figured with all the knowledgeable folks here, and the rooney rule, I am curious to some names that would come up. I get everyone's fixated on Shanahan at the moment.

Rick
01-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Nice thing is that it sounds like he will retire tomorrow.

If he is leaving I would rather get on the coaching search while the top names are still available.

OrangeHoof
01-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Don't forget the Rooney Rule, folks. VJ might just be to get past that requirement.

The way I see it we're looking for an offensive mind with a track record of success. Familiarity with the way things are done with Elway and a desire to keep Wade Phillips on as d-coord would be a bonus. IMO, this leads me to one guy: Peyton Manning.

Nomad
01-01-2017, 05:36 PM
WooHoo!!

chazoe60
01-01-2017, 05:39 PM
WooHoo!!

:laugh::laugh: wrong thread me thinks.

Nomad
01-01-2017, 05:41 PM
:laugh::laugh: wrong thread me thinks.

Yes! Some reason it won't let me delete it. So now I look like an ass. :lol:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-01-2017, 05:42 PM
Yes! Some reason it won't let me delete it. So now I further look like an ass. :lol:

Fify 😉

Nomad
01-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Fify ��

Thanks, pal! :D

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Thanks, pal! :D

Haha, just jokin dude 😆

Rick
01-01-2017, 05:58 PM
35 points by Atlanta at half time.

Kyle is definitely getting hired SOMEWHERE this year, even if not by us.

dogfish
01-01-2017, 06:02 PM
It was a serious question. I figured with all the knowledgeable folks here, and the rooney rule, I am curious to some names that would come up. I get everyone's fixated on Shanahan at the moment.

we're reportedly interested in anthony lynn, which makes sense, but it sounds like buffalo will probably retain him long term. . . vance joseph makes sense, as suggested. . . maybe david shaw from stanford as a wild card? we were intested in detroit's DC teryl austin previously, but i don't know if we'd ask again after not getting an interview last time. . . or we could just interview studesville, if we just want to get it out of the way and hire somebody right away. . .

Nomad
01-01-2017, 06:15 PM
we're reportedly interested in anthony lynn, which makes sense, but it sounds like buffalo will probably retain him long term. . . vance joseph makes sense, as suggested. . . maybe david shaw from stanford as a wild card? we were intested in detroit's DC teryl austin previously, but i don't know if we'd ask again after not getting an interview last time. . . or we could just interview studesville, if we just want to get it out of the way and hire somebody right away. . .

Thanks. I know it's just going through the motions, but I'm sure Elway will bring in quality 'other than white' candidates. I don't know enough about coaches in the NFL.

Kyle could be his Dad, or he could be another Josh McDaniels.

Rick
01-01-2017, 06:19 PM
IMO there really isn't any minority coaches this year that are hot.

To me VJ is just kind of average.

When Kubiak was hired Bowles and Austin were both hot and deserving names.

CoachChaz
01-01-2017, 06:53 PM
IMO there really isn't any minority coaches this year that are hot.

To me VJ is just kind of average.

When Kubiak was hired Bowles and Austin were both hot and deserving names.

To be fair, Kubiak has never been anything more than average himself.

Rick
01-01-2017, 06:55 PM
The year we hired Kubiak though, he was OC of the Ravens that was one of the best offences in the league.

He had flamed out at Houston previous but in the what have you done lately field, he had hot success.

Poet
01-01-2017, 06:57 PM
The year we hired Kubiak though, he was OC of the Ravens that was one of the best offences in the league.

He had flamed out at Houston previous but in the what have you done lately field, he had hot success.

He had success. He did not have great success.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2017, 07:05 PM
His offenses have been among the best. Won a SB.

Scoreboard.

Be sure to shit on him on his way out though, because playcalling.

Rick
01-01-2017, 07:05 PM
The ravens were 12th in yards, 13th in passing, 8th in rushing, and 8th in scoring, and had just averaged over 30 a game in the playoffs.

While not as dominating as Kyle is doing with Atlanta, it was very good and the bonus points of running the offense John wanted.

Those stats are far better than considering the general of a team that was 30th in team defense before today.

Poet
01-01-2017, 07:08 PM
That's good success. That's not tearing up the league. He went to a team with a solid line, and a solid QB some people believe to be a top ten guy. Again, good success. He is a fine coordinator. He was overall alright in Houston. Vastly overrated there, and then when it all imploded vastly underrated.

He's a solid head coach. He's a good coordinator.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2017, 07:08 PM
Kubiak's biggest crime was being an established NFL offensive mind in an era of Madden ****ing know-it-alls.

Poet
01-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Kubiak's biggest crime was being an established NFL offensive mind in an era of Madden ****ing know-it-alls.

His biggest crime was calling what everyone but you recognizes as bland playcalling. I don't play madden.

Poet
01-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Val should be ashamed of hi-fiving that stupid post.

Val between that garbage and trolling me about Rex Ryan I am pissed at you.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 07:14 PM
I wanted him as the HC, but not as the play caller.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 07:15 PM
I guess Lynch isn't going to play.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 07:18 PM
Remember earlier when the Broncos ran a play action at the goal line on short yardage? Good times.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2017, 07:45 PM
His biggest crime was calling what everyone but you recognizes as bland playcalling. I don't play madden.

Proves my point, thanks.

Cugel
01-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Kubiak just said in his post game interview with Dave Logan when asked to address the reports he's stepping down effective today, that "I will address that tomorrow. Today's about the game." This is so far from a denial that it can only been seen as confirmation. Tommorow noon he announces his retirement.

Now I wonder whether Rick Dennison will resign. He might as well, since he's gone for sure now. But, I hope that Wade will stay. I fear he will not.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Remember earlier when the Broncos ran a play action at the goal line on short yardage? Good times.

Proves my point, thanks again.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Btw, Spike, your "We're screwed" pity party shows maybe you're not as in touch with how things will/should be as you wanna believe.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 07:49 PM

Yep, and I'm right. You aren't. I also don't play Madden but I understand football.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Btw, Spike, your "We're screwed" pity party shows maybe you're not as in touch with how things will/should be as you wanna believe.

Sounds like someone's feelings are hurt.

Poet
01-01-2017, 07:51 PM

You don't actually have a point, though. You've essentially stated for many weeks that the Broncos do everything on offense and we just magically don't see it.

You also presuppose that we would want the OC to try something once or twice and if it didn't work go back to whatever the **** else they were doing in the first place.

It's okay. I'm becoming at peace with this season. I'm sad. I wasn't before. But I am sad.

VonDoom
01-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 16m16 minutes ago

#Broncos coach Gary Kubiak has told the team he's retiring.

Nomad
01-01-2017, 08:04 PM
Rumors were right according to Florio. Elway was going to get rid of Kubiak's buddies, and Kubiak would rather step down than fire his friends.

silkamilkamonico
01-01-2017, 08:09 PM
Rumors were right according to Florio. Elway was going to get rid of Kubiak's buddies, and Kubiak would rather step down than fire his friends.

If that's true Kubiak just not the right coach. You can't hold a blind loyalty to your friends at the expense of the careers of 53 players in organization, not to mention organization itself.

I Eat Staples
01-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Getting rid of the offensive coaches is the right move, but damn I wish we didn't have to lose Kubiak. If his health is a concern I totally get it though, he has to do what's best for him going forward.

Kubiak gave me the best sports moment of my life by helping us win the Superbowl last year and I'll always love him for that. Thanks Kubes, best wishes for you and your family in whatever you do next.

ShaneFalco
01-01-2017, 08:13 PM
@RapSheet

#Broncos coach Gary Kubiak has told the team he's retiring.

Freyaka
01-01-2017, 08:14 PM
I really don't want anyone else but Kyle Shanahan as our next HC. He knows this offense but he is more cutting edge and I think has adapted more to the speed of the game. He is experienced but young enough to have fresh ideas.

That's who I want too, but apparently the FO doesn't want Mike Shanahan having any influence over the team.

silkamilkamonico
01-01-2017, 08:20 PM
I don't think mike would have any influence over kyle. He is as hard headed and ego driven as his father. I don't think he'll be here nor do I want him herethough.

silkamilkamonico
01-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Sounds like he said stepping down and not retiring.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2017, 08:25 PM
You don't actually have a point, though. You've essentially stated for many weeks that the Broncos do everything on offense and we just magically don't see it.

You also presuppose that we would want the OC to try something once or twice and if it didn't work go back to whatever the **** else they were doing in the first place.

It's okay. I'm becoming at peace with this season. I'm sad. I wasn't before. But I am sad.

I've said the Broncos do everything we say they should do (they did, without exception), the point you're missing is that fans have no ******* business critiquing playcalling and the fact that they're doing exactly what we say they should proves that.

It's over, we're not screwed anymore, yay!

Rick
01-01-2017, 08:26 PM

Anything is possible but I have a hard time believing this conversation took place before end of season exit interview.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2017, 08:28 PM
Sounds like someone's feelings are hurt.

I like Kubiak, always have.

But for you, I'm just happy it's over. Must've been excruciating. I'm also glad that so far you managed to do this with some class. It's early though.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 08:30 PM
I've said the Broncos do everything we say they should do (they did, without exception), the point you're missing is that fans have no ******* business critiquing playcalling and the fact that they're doing exactly what we say they should proves that.

It's over, we're not screwed anymore, yay!
Assuming we'll probably have to continue listening to you spout off about "Madden players" for a few more years, I'd say we're still pretty much screwed. :)

Nomad
01-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Anything is possible but I have a hard time believing this conversation took place before end of season exit interview.

Believe what you want, it's coming to fruition. Kubiak is the friend we all want, and I do admire him for being loyal to them.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 08:31 PM
I like Kubiak, always have.

But for you, I'm just happy it's over. Must've been excruciating. I'm also glad that so far you managed to do this with some class. It's early though.

I have said multiple times that I wanted Kubiak to remain as the HC, just give up the play calling. And... I'm always classy. It's just a game and a message board, not real life.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Sounds like he said stepping down and not retiring.

?????

silkamilkamonico
01-01-2017, 08:38 PM
?????

Where wil he coach next? And wil he be a head coach or assistant? I see him take a year off, and hope to see him again in the nfl.

Freyaka
01-01-2017, 08:41 PM

He's our D-line coach I believe.

Rick
01-01-2017, 08:42 PM
Believe what you want, it's coming to fruition. Kubiak is the friend we all want, and I do admire him for being loyal to them.

What is coming to fruition is retiring, not the conversation that he needed to fire his assistants.

It does not surprise me to see a coach decide to step away at the end of the year, it would surprise me to see a GM tell said coach he had to fire the assistants before the exit interview.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Where wil he coach next? And wil he be a head coach or assistant? I see him take a year off, and hope to see him again in the nfl.

I didn't understand what you were insinuating. I thought you were suggesting he was forced out.

This is the second major health scare he has had. He's coached for a long time. He needs to stay away from the NFL, imo.

He can coach pop warner if he needs a fix

MOtorboat
01-01-2017, 08:55 PM
I have this inherent feeling that this somehow fools the front office into thinking that talent isn't an issue on that offense. I don't know how you couldn't see it, but it just has me worried. The offensive line is shit, the quarterback isn't good enough, there's nothing at running back or tight end.

Hopefully, things change.

Poet
01-01-2017, 09:01 PM
I have this inherent feeling that this somehow fools the front office into thinking that talent isn't an issue on that offense. I don't know how you couldn't see it, but it just has me worried. The offensive line is shit, the quarterback isn't good enough, there's nothing at running back or tight end.

Hopefully, things change.

I disagree about RB, and I think we have some of the tight ends we need.

Broncoknight30
01-01-2017, 09:36 PM
I disagree about RB, and I think we have some of the tight ends we need.

I know they won't, but I think Dalvin Cook may very well be there when the Broncos draft. He may very well be too good to pass up. Closest thing to Marshall Faulk I have seen.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2017, 09:44 PM
... and hope to see him again in the nfl.

You've been one of his biggest critics since he's been in Denver.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2017, 09:53 PM
I have said multiple times that I wanted Kubiak to remain as the HC, just give up the play calling. And... I'm always classy. It's just a game and a message board, not real life.

Just words, right?

spikerman
01-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Just words, right?

Yep, and not important.

NightTerror218
01-01-2017, 10:01 PM
I wanted him and wade to remain. Kubiak leaves almist guarentees wade is gone unless internal promotion.

gregbroncs
01-01-2017, 10:17 PM

Hopefully, things change.I disagree. I think they have talent at RB, especially with CJ coming back. One of the QB's will be fine. At TE they have talent they just need another blocker, without Green the TE blocking sucked. I blame 80% of our offensive troubles on the line and play calling. Another 10% can go to a young QB and RB.

NightTerror218
01-01-2017, 10:27 PM
@Cecil lammey

Early buzz around #Broncos indicates that Wade Phillips has a job with the team as long as he wants it. @1043TheFan

pnbronco
01-01-2017, 10:32 PM
@Cecil lammey

Early buzz around #Broncos indicates that Wade Phillips has a job with the team as long as he wants it. @1043TheFan

Thanks for this....I'm sure Wade will wait to see what happens.

From what I've read Kubes has struggled with health this entire season. But he is not a person that tells everyone what's going on with him. As a person that struggles with migraines I know that stress increases them a lot. The man works till 10 pm often....that's what security has told me. Sleep is really important in trying to get a handle on migraines...the medicine can make you really dopey. Again I don't thing he want's to take that and not be on top of what he needs to do. I totally understand that he needs to put his health first...but there are few men that I respect more.

pnbronco
01-01-2017, 10:34 PM

Wow Chaz....you are brilliant.

spikerman
01-01-2017, 10:35 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's the first time that sentence has ever been uttered. :D

Simple Jaded
01-01-2017, 10:38 PM
@Cecil lammey

This is concerning cause Lammey doesn't know Dick.

pnbronco
01-01-2017, 10:47 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's the first time that sentence has ever been uttered. :D

could be but I give credit when credit is due.....did anyone else call this? I was at the game so I don't know what has been written.

BTW I just want everyone to know that they never lost a game this year that I was at....just saying :D

MOtorboat
01-01-2017, 10:52 PM
I disagree. I think they have talent at RB, especially with CJ coming back. One of the QB's will be fine. At TE they have talent they just need another blocker, without Green the TE blocking sucked. I blame 80% of our offensive troubles on the line and play calling. Another 10% can go to a young QB and RB.

Anderson can't stay healthy and can't be relied upon.

dogfish
01-01-2017, 11:04 PM

let's not get too crazy. . .

:D

dogfish
01-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Anderson can't stay healthy and can't be relied upon.

he can be relied on to not stay healthy. . .

i love CJ, but IMO we desperately need more talent in the backfield. . . doesn't mean that i don't want bibbs, booker and thompson back in camp-- but we need more competition in the mix. . . preferably a guy with legit field-flipping speed. . . even better if said guy can also return kicks, since none of our current backs have contributed anything there. . .

Rick
01-01-2017, 11:30 PM
A Sproles/Woodhead type would be nice. Move him around some in the passing game and get some quality carries.

This offense needs some wrinkles to it. Outside of Thomas and Sanders, it's just not dangerous.

dogfish
01-02-2017, 12:24 AM
A Sproles/Woodhead type would be nice. Move him around some in the passing game and get some quality carries.

This offense needs some wrinkles to it. Outside of Thomas and Sanders, it's just not dangerous.

exactly. . . look how that hill kid in KC murdered us this year. . . as far as that goes, i don't even care if it's a pure RB-- just get me a guy with speed, who can do damage on screens, jet sweeps, stuff like that. . . a guy who is explosive and shifty, who can line up in different spots and play some different roles. . . a mis-match guy who gives you some versatility. . . no question, i've been thinking that all year. . .

Hawgdriver
01-02-2017, 02:12 AM
exactly. . . look how that hill kid in KC murdered us this year. . . as far as that goes, i don't even care if it's a pure RB-- just get me a guy with speed, who can do damage on screens, jet sweeps, stuff like that. . . a guy who is explosive and shifty, who can line up in different spots and play some different roles. . . a mis-match guy who gives you some versatility. . . no question, i've been thinking that all year. . .

A guy who can play ST and be on the field in a wide range of personnel groupings who can contribute by catching and running.

Maybe K-Shan can bring his running backs with him.

chazoe60
01-02-2017, 02:17 AM

let's not get too crazy. . .

:D

You sons a……….

Valar Morghulis
01-02-2017, 04:13 AM
He's our D-line coach I believe.

Lol, well yeah, but I was wondering if wade left if he would be considered as a replacement for him.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2017, 04:15 AM
Lol, well yeah, but I was wondering if wade left if he would be considered as a replacement for him.

When Wade missed a game it was Reggie Herring who took over, fwiw.

Shazam!
01-02-2017, 10:49 AM
I firmly believe Elway will do all he can to keep Wade. No way he let's him walk. I would think he'd get a raise and stay as AHC.

NightTerror218
01-02-2017, 10:57 AM
I firmly believe Elway will do all he can to keep Wade. No way he let's him walk. I would think he'd get a raise and stay as AHC.

Thatbis if new coach wants him on staff or not. Most coaches want their guys.

Northman
01-02-2017, 11:17 AM

If the new HC doesnt want Wade as a DC than he is a moron. Wanting your guys is ok but simply not wanting a DC who is a damn good one is a very very stupid move for any HC.

Davii
01-02-2017, 11:18 AM

If Elway wants Wade, and Wade agrees to stay, that will be a pre-requisite for getting the gig. Wade stays or you can keep looking for a job elsewhere.

Rick
01-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Looks like press conference is at 10 am. Hadn't seen it posted.

UnderArmour
01-02-2017, 11:46 AM
If the new HC doesnt want Wade as a DC than he is a moron. Wanting your guys is ok but simply not wanting a DC who is a damn good one is a very very stupid move for any HC.

When Wade was in Houston when Kubiak left, the new HC opted to get rid of him despite a stellar job. It really just depends on if Wade and the new coach mesh philosophically. In the case of coaches and GMs from the New England coaching tree, this means only coaches who have philosophies of dishonesty, disloyalty, and secrecy can play major parts in those coaching staffs. McDaniels came in and his agent told him to get Mike Nolan as DC. Mike Nolan did the job really well, but philosophical differences led to him leaving the next year.

While I use the extreme example of the New England coaching tree, coaches simply have too big of egos for odd-couple pairings to last. Mike Tomlin is a classic example of a guy who put his ego aside and let LeBeau stay on staff doing his thing, and ideally we find an open-minded coach like Tomlin, but coaching is such a fraternity that head coaches want to be sure their guys are all-in with them on the same page. Vance Joseph would likely keep Wade, as would Kyle Shanahan having learned from his father's mistakes, but I expect a thorough interview process this time around and it is anyone's guess who is on the sideline next year.

Northman
01-02-2017, 12:11 PM
When Wade was in Houston when Kubiak left, the new HC opted to get rid of him despite a stellar job. It really just depends on if Wade and the new coach mesh philosophically. In the case of coaches and GMs from the New England coaching tree, this means only coaches who have philosophies of dishonesty, disloyalty, and secrecy can play major parts in those coaching staffs. McDaniels came in and his agent told him to get Mike Nolan as DC. Mike Nolan did the job really well, but philosophical differences led to him leaving the next year.

While I use the extreme example of the New England coaching tree, coaches simply have too big of egos for odd-couple pairings to last. Mike Tomlin is a classic example of a guy who put his ego aside and let LeBeau stay on staff doing his thing, and ideally we find an open-minded coach like Tomlin, but coaching is such a fraternity that head coaches want to be sure their guys are all-in with them on the same page. Vance Joseph would likely keep Wade, as would Kyle Shanahan having learned from his father's mistakes, but I expect a thorough interview process this time around and it is anyone's guess who is on the sideline next year.

So basically we agree that any HC wanting to get rid of Wade would be a moron right? I mean, Tomlin was smart and thats what you want. I personally dont care about what the "norm" is i want the next HC to use common sense.

UnderArmour
01-02-2017, 12:29 PM
So basically we agree that any HC wanting to get rid of Wade would be a moron right? I mean, Tomlin was smart and thats what you want. I personally dont care about what the "norm" is i want the next HC to use common sense.

If the new HC brings in a guy of Wade's reputation level or close, ie a Romeo Crennel type of a Dan Quinn, Rex Ryan(NOT his brother), or Chuck Pagano I wouldn't really knock the guy as a moron. If he brought in one of his assistant cronies to replace him, I would be upset. Wade also might just opt to retire, which would take the option off the table entirely for a new HC to replace him.

One thing that works against HC candidates is that during the interview process, they have to give their pitch of what their philosophies are and who their potential coordinators would be. Any coach interviewing is going to have guys he tells management they need to go get because he "needs" to have with him. There will be no shortage of great coordinator candidates this hiring cycle because of all of the staffs turning over across the league.

nevcraw
01-02-2017, 12:45 PM
If the new HC brings in a guy of Wade's reputation level or close, ie a Romeo Crennel type of a Dan Quinn, Rex Ryan(NOT his brother), or Chuck Pagano I wouldn't really knock the guy as a moron. If he brought in one of his assistant cronies to replace him, I would be upset. Wade also might just opt to retire, which would take the option off the table entirely for a new HC to replace him.

One thing that works against HC candidates is that during the interview process, they have to give their pitch of what their philosophies are and who their potential coordinators would be. Any coach interviewing is going to have guys he tells management they need to go get because he "needs" to have with him. There will be no shortage of great coordinator candidates this hiring cycle because of all of the staffs turning over across the league.

None of those guys you mentioned are as effective as wade and staff is Right now. New coach would be an idiot to not keep wade.

UnderArmour
01-02-2017, 12:50 PM
None of those guys you mentioned are as effective as wade and staff is Right now. New coach would be an idiot to not keep wade.

I read all of this stuff now, however when Kubiak came in nobody was arguing for him to keep Adam Gase as offensive coordinator. I hope we keep Wade too, I'm just not expecting it.

Rick
01-02-2017, 01:14 PM
We also knew we were changing offences. There is no reason to change the defense.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2017, 01:26 PM
I can't imagine many HC candidates, especially first-timers, wouldn't want Wade to stay on. He's one of the best DCs in history and has HC experience. I fear a defensive minded HC would want things done his way and that could mean he doesn't want to keep Wade onboard wanting to bring in his own guy. An offensive guru (which I hope we bring in) may decide to leave Wade in place.

Whether Wade wants to stay on is another matter entirely. He has a lot of loyalty to Kubiak and isn't exactly a spring chicken either. Losing Wade and blowing up the defensive scheme is what I fear the most out of this. I'd like to keep the one-gap 3-4 scheme we run because it requires the least amount of adjustment to personnel. If we change schemes, I think our defense will suffer greatly and we'll have to start spending more money and draft picks to revamp it. Our key guys like Von, Marshall, and the secondary can play in any scheme, but guys like Wolfe and Ray are built for the 3-4.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Just remember, you guys wanted this.

chazoe60
01-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Hey Jaded, chill the **** out man. Kubes retired because of health reasons so your tantrum makes less sense.

spikerman
01-02-2017, 01:36 PM

There may have been a few who wanted him gone completely but I think most people were like me who wanted him as the HC but new blood on the offensive side of the ball.

Poet
01-02-2017, 01:36 PM

To be honest, with Kubiak as our HC next year we should be expecting more bad offense. It's what we've had with him.

When Shanahan left many people were scared. A poster (who shall go unnamed) said that even if the next guy doesn't work out it doesn't mean that a change isn't called for. Kubiak was sort of there while Wade took the defense Elway made and beat the league in the mouth with it. He certainly did nothing this year that warrants anything special, either.

Elway had a great team and quickly found someone who was solid. He found a leader of men. He found a good man. But, to be honest, Kubiak never felt like a long term answer. John Fox was never a long term answer. This a a chance to go out there and grab someone who can be.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2017, 01:41 PM
Hey Jaded, chill the **** out man. Kubes retired because of health reasons so your tantrum makes less sense.

Sure, I'll play along, lets go with the notion that it's strictly health related...changes nothing. You guys wanted this, for a long time.

Poet
01-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Sure, I'll play along, lets go with the notion that it's strictly health related...changes nothing. You guys wanted this, for a long time.

I wanted a different playcaller. Name three posters who wanted a new HC. Name them. DO IT! DO IT NOW!

I'm just kidding, don't do it. Why are you so grumpy, Jaded?

spikerman
01-02-2017, 01:43 PM

What's your point? That the fans drove him away? Or are you using your mistaken assertion to set everybody up for an "I told you so moment?"

chazoe60
01-02-2017, 01:44 PM

So, we all wanted this? Even if we did it doesn't matter. One thing that was clear to me from the presser was that this really was a health decision and one made by Kubes himself.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2017, 01:47 PM
You guys are forgiven, I hold no ill will towards you.

#we'llbebetterforthis
#laststraw
#freyakatakesyourplaceasstylegod

Poet
01-02-2017, 01:48 PM
See, if you had used hashtags like that I might have let you stay a style god.

Jaded, it's like you just don't even care.

Rick
01-02-2017, 01:49 PM
Ya so far despite a couple random rumors on this board I haven't seen a single thing that suggests it was for anything other than health.

I have seen no real evidence that it was anything related to "get rid of your guys!", "no, ill just retire!".

It is possible it still turns up that way but haven't seen a thing yet that is indicating that to be true.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2017, 01:49 PM
What's your point? That the fans drove him away? Or are you using your mistaken assertion to set everybody up for an "I told you so moment?"

We're screwed, No, and no.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2017, 01:51 PM
See, if you had used hashtags like that I might have let you stay a style god.

Jaded, it's like you just don't even care.

If I didn't care would I be throwing a tantrum right now?

spikerman
01-02-2017, 01:51 PM
We're screwed, No, and no.

Smooch.

Poet
01-02-2017, 01:54 PM
If I didn't care would I be throwing a tantrum right now?

Quite possibly; sometimes people just see an opportunity to rage.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Smooch.

:grabsbythepvssy:

UnderArmour
Ya so far despite a couple random rumors on this board I haven't seen a single thing that suggests it was for anything other than health.

I have seen no real evidence that it was anything related to "get rid of your guys!", "no, ill just retire!".

It is possible it still turns up that way but haven't seen a thing yet that is indicating that to be true.

I'm not buying that it was because Elway told him his guys had to go. Elway probably did have those conversations with Kubiak earlier, but this retirement rumor broke weeks ago (even prior to the Titans game) that Kubiak might retire. At that point, there was still time to right the ship and for the Broncos to get into the playoffs. Kubiak just couldn't handle running the whole ship anymore with the grind from training camp to playoffs. I think he will be back coaching sooner rather than later though.

I expect him to be a candidate for Texas A&M's job next year should Sumlin come up short again, but I just don't ever see him as a pro head coach again. Possibly he comes back into the league as a coordinator as a Wade Phillips type that runs one side of the ball, but he will never run the entire operation in this league again.

spikerman
:grabsbythepvssy:

Nah, I'd never do that. You're safe. :D

Simple Jaded
01-02-2017, 02:07 PM
Nah, I'd never do that. You're safe. :D

The "I know you are but what am I" retort? Well played. :rolleyes:

spikerman
01-02-2017, 02:08 PM
The "I know you are but what am I" retort? Well played. :rolleyes:

Yes, thank you. Your posts are as classy as they are insightful.

Cugel
01-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Basically, what I was thinking. According to Broncos Insider Cecil Lammey, Wade can stay as long as he wants. What I think is that it would be hard for a new HC to win the job if he doesn't have plans to do two things:

1. Develop Paxton Lynch.

2. Keep defensive performance at the same level it was at under Wade. Maybe a guy could convince Elway that they could do that without Wade, but that's hard to believe.

Either way they only get about 2 years to prove they were the right hire. And that means showing clear signs of developing the team back towards a SB championship. Two years failing to make the playoffs and the new HC would probably be fired.

So, if you want to replace Wade Phillips, you better have a plan and not a very long range one either. Gary got replaced after 2 years, so did Fox. You can say "agreed to disagree" in Fox's case, and "health issues" in Gary's. But, what caused the "disagreement" in Fox's case, and what caused the "health issue" in Gary's case?

In both cases, clearly disagreement with Elway over player personnel development affected both decisions. In Gary's case, the stress of infighting within Dove Valley over Paxton Lynch among other players would have contributed significantly to the stress he was under.

The worst kind of fire is friendly fire. Having to watch your six is highly stressful as anybody who has had a disapproving boss can attest. Gary wanted Trevor Siemian as his QB. He made that abundantly clear when he refused to play Paxton at all in the last game after saying he would.

Then he just said "that one's on me" that it was his decision. Well, we already knew that. What that doesn't tell us is WHY he felt the need to do that. Well, he wanted to go out with a win, and felt that Trevor gave him the best chance of that. Elway meanwhile wants to see Paxton because it was a meaningless "pre-season game." Broncos weren't going anywhere and you want to see how your first round draft pick from this year - a guy they need for the future - is developing.

Just an example perhaps of a more profound disagreement. With Fox, Elway wanted his young OL developed: Max Garcia, Paradis, and Michael Schofield. With Kubiak, clearly Elway wants to clean house with regard to the Offensive coaches who have failed so spectacularly.

Kubiak has to feel that he's being asked to sacrifice his assistants in order to lighten the sleigh. And that sacrificing them when he himself bears the overall responsibility was somehow dishonorable.

Some guys will throw their assistants overboard, and some head coaches won't. Gary is clearly among the latter.

From my position as a fan, drawing a line in the sand for guys like Clancy Barone and Rick Dennison seems badly misplaced, considering the teams' offensive failures. Those guys clearly need to go! But, Kubiak clearly felt differently.

spikerman
01-02-2017, 02:20 PM
Cugel, where do you get your information? You're stating a lot of things as fact that seem contradictory to everything we're hearing from Dove Valley and Kubiak himself. In fact, some of the things you're claiming could only come from inside the building. If these are strictly your opinions, fine, but if not we'd love to know your source.

Cugel
01-02-2017, 02:21 PM
I'm not buying that it was because Elway told him his guys had to go. Elway probably did have those conversations with Kubiak earlier, but this retirement rumor broke weeks ago (even prior to the Titans game) that Kubiak might retire. At that point, there was still time to right the ship and for the Broncos to get into the playoffs. Kubiak just couldn't handle running the whole ship anymore with the grind from training camp to playoffs. I think he will be back coaching sooner rather than later though.

I expect him to be a candidate for Texas A&M's job next year should Sumlin come up short again, but I just don't ever see him as a pro head coach again. Possibly he comes back into the league as a coordinator as a Wade Phillips type that runs one side of the ball, but he will never run the entire operation in this league again.

It's clearly NOT either or. But, I'm older than Gary Kubiak and I haven't had a "cardiac incident" thank God, and I don't plan to any time in the future either. Heart disease is just that "dis-ease". The mind is in a condition of permanent turmoil and stress, and that stress is not just external (the pressure to win) but internal - disagreements within the building. Gary's body broke down under the tension. Medical issues don't just "happen" like a rabbit appearing out of nowhere in a magic trick. And it's not just the normal tension of coaching.

The mind controls the body. It is the unconscious receptacle of the mental and emotional state of the mind. If the mind is in a profound state of tension and stress, and that stress is internalized, then symptoms can only appear in the breakdown of the body. Other coaches manage for long periods of time to deal with that stress, because they find outlets, ways to channel the stress outward.

But, what doubles the tension and stress? Having an internal conflict. Having to face the enemy on a weekly basis, when there's serious disagreement within the building. And how could there not be, watching this season?

Haven't we fans been in a state of deep disagreement with each other over what to do about this disappointing season? Do we need to move to Paxton Lynch? Trevor Siemian? Bring in a veteran QB for next season in case Paxton or Trevor fail? What if this was our job and our boss had a contrary opinion and we were in a state of continual dispute with him, amid continual and escalating lack of success?

Kubiak wanted Trevor to start and he did. And the team failed to make the playoffs. Elway clearly wanted (as many fans do) to see more of Paxton under the "we need to develop our young players now that the season is shot" theory.

So, everything contributed. It wasn't just one thing. It was obviously a combination of things.

Cugel
01-02-2017, 02:25 PM
Cugel, where do you get your information? You're stating a lot of things as fact that seem contradictory to everything we're hearing from Dove Valley and Kubiak himself. In fact, some of the things you're claiming could only come from inside the building. If these are strictly your opinions, fine, but if not we'd love to know your source.

It's no conspiracy theory. It's not one thing or the other. It's clearly both.

They've been saying the same thing all over talk radio today. In fact, DMac, (who is a complete tool I admit), Big Al, Chris Johnson, Cecil Lammey, even Tyler Polumbus who was after all a part of the team last year, as well as Troy Renk the Broncos Insider. Even DMac (the tool) has been snooping around that building and talking with everybody.

Of course we don't know how to weigh everything. How much were disagreements Elway weighing down Kubiak and contributing to his stress, which in turn contributes to his medical problems? We might not know.

But, we'd be fools to think everything was just hunky dory over in Dove Valley while Elway, who has been described as the "most competitive person you ever met" by no less than Mike Shanahan, watches his defending SB champions struggle and fail to make the playoffs. Did that contribute to the stress Gary was under? You bettcha!

Buff
01-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Weird scene today. Thought there were a number of interesting "read between the lines" comments by Kubiak... I came away with the feeling that because his personal relationships were being strained by his professional obligations it ultimately put too much stress on him. There was one part in particular where he seemed to allude to having to make too many changes to his routine, and therefore it's time to give someone else a chance - it really sounded like there was a tinge of bitterness/regret tied up in that statement.

On some level I really respect him for going out on his terms and taking the high road - everyone who's ever worked with him has talked about what a first class human being he is... On the other hand, it was really weird to be hosting this tearful goodbye presser after 2 years as HC. Obviously this is the end of a long personal journey for him, and I can appreciate that - and he's obviously well respected, so I'm not sure how else it should have gone... But it still feels odd having watched that.

Nomad
01-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Weird scene today. Thought there were a number of interesting "read between the lines" comments by Kubiak... I came away with the feeling that because his personal relationships were being strained by his professional obligations it ultimately put too much stress on him. There was one part in particular where he seemed to allude to having to make too many changes to his routine, and therefore it's time to give someone else a chance - it really sounded like there was a tinge of bitterness/regret tied up in that statement.

On some level I really respect him for going out on his terms and taking the high road - everyone who's ever worked with him has talked about what a first class human being he is... On the other hand, it was really weird to be hosting this tearful goodbye presser after 2 years as HC. Obviously this is the end of a long personal journey for him, and I can appreciate that - and he's obviously well respected, so I'm not sure how else it should have gone... But it still feels odd having watched that.

There are some sensitive folks around here....tread lightly.