PDA

View Full Version : Gary Kubiak addresses his Broncos future, Wade Phillips’ expiring contract; T.J. Ward, Derek Wolfe out Sunday

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2016, 05:56 PM
There may be changes coming on the Broncos coaching staff after this season, due in part to offensive struggles that led to the team’s first non-playoff season since 2010.

Head coach Gary Kubiak and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, meanwhile, both have to make decisions on whether they want to return in 2017.

“I love this league. I love the Broncos. I love this work. I’m all in on the Raiders right now,” Kubiak said Friday. “There will be time for reflection and all of that stuff next week.”

Kubiak’s future bears watching mostly because of his health. He was hospitalized overnight after the Broncos loss to Atlanta in October and was diagnosed with a complex migraine that caused extreme fatigue and body weakness. Kubiak rested for a week at home while special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis took over as interim coach.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/12/30/gary-kubiak-wade-phillips-future-with-broncos/

weazel
12-30-2016, 06:07 PM
it would suck if bumskid didn't come back

Bronco4ever
12-30-2016, 06:11 PM
It'd be hard to imagine Wade not coming back when we have a stacked defense. If he did retire, he'd have plenty of time to watch more Lady Gaga.

spikerman
12-30-2016, 07:28 PM
I never thought there was anything to rumors that Kubiak might move on, but instead of shooting down the idea, he says this, "I love this league. I love the Broncos. I love this work. I’m all in on the Raiders right now. There will be time for reflection and all of that stuff next week.”

Hmmmmmm

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-30-2016, 07:32 PM
I never thought there was anything to rumors that Kubiak might move on, but instead of shooting down the idea, he says this, "I love this league. I love the Broncos. I love this work. I’m all in on the Raiders right now. There will be time for reflection and all of that stuff next week.”

Hmmmmmm

Are you speculating there may be something to speculate about next week?

Nomad
12-30-2016, 07:43 PM

Hmmmmmm

There is a rumor that Wade may want to retire after the season, and Kubiak may follow (due to health reasons). Granted I'm reading this from other forums, and their sources are radio hosts to bloggers.

Cugel
12-30-2016, 08:07 PM
If Gary retired, then Wade would have to consider whether he wanted to work for a new Head Coach. John Elway would have to convince him that the new Coach would be someone Wade would want to work with. Wade would have an effective veto over the new hire - unless Elway was willing to let Wade go.

I'd give it an 80% - 20% chance both are back. I could see it happening that Gary's wife would convince him that he needs to retire. Who knows exactly what Gary's physicians told him and his wife after his second cardiac condition - whatever it really is right now. Because that's not public information. We know he's had problems, but how severe are they now? How much is the pressure really affecting his health? What's his view of this?

We can guess, but we really have no idea how this will play out. If it was me, I'd retire. But, then if I had 1 year of Gary's salary I'd retire immediately and live in a villa in the Virgin Islands. Or maybe Aruba. Just lie in the sun and work on my tan! ; ^ )

But he's not like a normal guy.

spikerman
12-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Are you speculating there may be something to speculate about next week?

I just expected a firm statement that he would be back next year. This doesn't strike me as that.

Cugel
12-30-2016, 09:55 PM
I just expected a firm statement that he would be back next year. This doesn't strike me as that.

I don't know. Remember that Peyton did that 4 times. He said each year that he would carefully consider whether he was coming back. Remember how he took forever to make up his mind each year, and then forever and 1/2 to decide whether to retire when he finally did?

Taking time to deliberate just means taking time to deliberate. It doesn't mean Gary won't be back. He'd be crazy not to carefully consider whether he wants more of the high stress of coaching given his current health.

spikerman
12-30-2016, 10:04 PM
I don't know. Remember that Peyton did that 4 times. He said each year that he would carefully consider whether he was coming back. Remember how he took forever to make up his mind each year, and then forever and 1/2 to decide whether to retire when he finally did?

Taking time to deliberate just means taking time to deliberate. It doesn't mean Gary won't be back. He'd be crazy not to carefully consider whether he wants more of the high stress of coaching given his current health.
I wasn't implying that he for sure wouldn't be back but it's rare for a coach to be so non-committal. There's an old saying that once you consider retirement you've already got one foot out the door. I found his response to be very interesting and while I thought there was no chance he would walk away before reading those comments, I now believe there is at least some chance that he leaves.

Rick
12-30-2016, 10:04 PM
I didn't see it coming that it may be possible Kubiak would step away...

I it did happen I could see a scenario where Kubiak works with Elway in a different role, could see Kyle brought in as HC with Kubiak working with Elway and mentoring Kyle.

I don't see Wade leaving though, he seems to still have the fire.

Simple Jaded
12-30-2016, 10:45 PM
It's the playcalling.

Dapper Dan
12-30-2016, 11:40 PM
Elway is going to clean house and do everything himself.

NightTerror218
01-01-2017, 05:13 PM
If kubiak retires a coach could be promoted and staff changes still occur but wade needs to stay

FanInAZ
01-01-2017, 06:19 PM
If Gary retired, then Wade would have to consider whether he wanted to work for a new Head Coach. John Elway would have to convince him that the new Coach would be someone Wade would want to work with. Wade would have an effective veto over the new hire - unless Elway was willing to let Wade go.

I'd give it an 80% - 20% chance both are back. I could see it happening that Gary's wife would convince him that he needs to retire. Who knows exactly what Gary's physicians told him and his wife after his second cardiac condition - whatever it really is right now. Because that's not public information. We know he's had problems, but how severe are they now? How much is the pressure really affecting his health? What's his view of this?

We can guess, but we really have no idea how this will play out. If it was me, I'd retire. But, then if I had 1 year of Gary's salary I'd retire immediately and live in a villa in the Virgin Islands. Or maybe Aruba. Just lie in the sun and work on my tan! ; ^ )

But he's not like a normal guy.

Help Wanted
HC for professional Football franchise that wants SB championships.

Requirements:
1) Willingness to let DC do his job so he can help make you look good.
2) Ability to improve the O so that they are worthy of being on the same field as the D.

Cugel
01-01-2017, 07:48 PM
Well, Kubiak just announced in his presser with Dave Logan that he will be addressing the retirement issue in tomorrow's news conference which should be held at noon. At that point it should be official.