PDA

View Full Version : Shane Ray, more mature and seeking elite status, returns home to show how far he’s come

Denver Native (Carol)
12-25-2016, 01:18 PM
Amid a fully covered upper body of artwork, a large bold series of numbers on Shane Ray‘s right forearm screams the loudest. Each tattoo has a special meaning, Ray said, but 5600 best encapsulates who he is and where he’s going.

It represents the block he grew up on off 56th Street and College Avenue in the heart of Kansas City, Mo.’s 64130 ZIP code, an area known as the “Murder Factory.” That is Ray’s hood. He’s proud of it. It led to him wear No. 56.

There aren’t many success stories that come out of that area. Ray beat the odds, though anger and mischief defined his childhood.

“It’s what made me,” Ray said of his old neighborhood. “I wouldn’t be me without it. But I had to get out of there. I really don’t know what I would be doing if it wasn’t for football. It saved me.”

In his second season with the Broncos, his teammates and coaches say the outside linebacker’s biggest area of growth has been his maturity. He is emerging as the talented pass rushing complement to Von Miller that the Broncos envisioned when they drafted the former Missouri star in the first round in 2015. Now, he is seeking respect.

Sunday, he returns home to show the locals how far he has come as a player and a person. He was born in Kansas City, but he is being molded in Denver. He will spend the weekend home with plans to visit family, friends and others who helped get him out of the Murder Factory.

rest - much more - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/12/24/shane-ray-mature-seeking-elite-status-returns-home/

OrangeHoof
12-25-2016, 03:07 PM
So, do the Broncos let D-Ware walk and promote Ray to the OLB spot opposite Von? That savings allows us to spend more on DT and OL.

Valar Morghulis
12-25-2016, 03:31 PM
So, do the Broncos let D-Ware walk and promote Ray to the OLB spot opposite Von? That savings allows us to spend more on DT and OL.

I hope not.

We would lose more than we would save.

Poet
12-25-2016, 03:36 PM
I hope not.

We would lose more than we would save.

I would want to know who the OL would be. If it was a good player who was also a leader I would be okay with it. But, on the other hand, Ware can still play and he's money in the playoffs.

I like money.

Valar Morghulis
12-25-2016, 03:38 PM
I would want to know who the OL would be. If it was a good player who was also a leader I would be okay with it. But, on the other hand, Ware can still play and he's money in the playoffs. I like money.

And he's not earning all that much

Poet
12-25-2016, 03:56 PM
And he's not earning all that much

I thought he was getting ten a year?

Slick
12-25-2016, 04:04 PM

Yes. I think this is Ware's last season.

Valar Morghulis
12-25-2016, 04:04 PM
I thought he was getting ten a year?

Think it's 6.5 this year, with a bonus, but I thought he was a FA and would like him to stick around for one more year. He is definitely worry about 7 mil for one more year.

Poet
12-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Think it's 6.5 this year, with a bonus, but I thought he was a FA and would like him to stick around for one more year. He is definitely worry about 7 mil for one more year.

I think your assessment is correct in most scenarios. Not sure why I thought he was getting ten a year.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-25-2016, 05:26 PM
If this link has the correct figures on it, here all the Bronco players salaries:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/

Valar Morghulis
12-25-2016, 05:36 PM
I stand corrected. He is getting ten. But even ten I think is worth it. That said, no way he still commands ten mil a year.

Poet
12-25-2016, 05:37 PM
I stand corrected. He is getting ten. But even ten I think is worth it. That said, no way he still commands ten mil a year.

He's gotta take a cut. I wouldn't pay him ten.

Simple Jaded
12-26-2016, 12:33 PM
He's not signed beyond this season, it saves nothing.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/demarcus-ware-2457/

Having said that, bringing him back at a reasonable salary should be a high priority imo.