PDA

View Full Version : Lmmfao

weazel
12-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Bryce Harper told the Nationals he deserves a 10 year contract worth 400 million! I can't stop laughing.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/12/05/nationals-bryce-harper-contract-2018-free-agent/94999440/

MOtorboat
12-05-2016, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't laugh. He's going to get close to it.

weazel
12-05-2016, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't laugh. He's going to get close to it.

oh I don't doubt it Mo, that's why I'm laughing. The contracts are getting absurd, there is no way he could produce enough to make that much.

MOtorboat
12-05-2016, 05:25 PM
oh I don't doubt it Mo, that's why I'm laughing. The contracts are getting absurd, there is no way he could produce enough to make that much.

I guess I disagree. He's worth what they're willing to pay and what the parties agree on. Is it fair that the Nationals will make many times that over for him being on the team in that span?

weazel
12-05-2016, 05:30 PM
I guess I disagree. He's worth what they're willing to pay and what the parties agree on. Is it fair that the Nationals will make many times that over for him being on the team in that span?

I was reading a good article on one of the sports sites a couple weeks ago about production per dollar. The whole thing was based on only a few stats but WAR was the main one. According to their calculation, no position player making over a certain amount (20 million I think) was worth it. I understand anyone can make any calculation to prove their argument but at some point the money paid could not be made up for in production. You can get 4 good players for what he is asking for.

MOtorboat
12-05-2016, 05:33 PM
I was reading a good article on one of the sports sites a couple weeks ago about production per dollar. The whole thing was based on only a few stats but WAR was the main one. According to their calculation, no position player making over a certain amount (20 million I think) was worth it. I understand anyone can make any calculation to prove their argument but at some point the money paid could not be made up for in production. You can get 4 good players for what he is asking for.

I think that's fair from a baseball perspective, but from a labor perspective, you're looking at a company that has almost tripled in value since the owners bought the team in 2006 and has an annual revenue of $293 million. How much of that do the players deserve to receive vs. company profit?

http://www.forbes.com/teams/washington-nationals/

OrangeHoof
12-05-2016, 06:46 PM
I find it hysterical that Bud Selig was voted into the Hall of Fame. As if the HOF couldn't get any more absurd.

chazoe60
12-05-2016, 07:34 PM
I find it hysterical that Bud Selig was voted into the Hall of Fame. As if the HOF couldn't get any more absurd.

In what ways exactly is the MLB HOF absurd?

OrangeHoof
12-05-2016, 08:56 PM
In what ways exactly is the MLB HOF absurd?

We currently have a Hall of Fame where the all-time hits leader is not in. The all-time home run leader is not in. The three top single-season home run producers are not in. The winningest pitcher since WWII and seven-time Cy Young winner is not in. A player with over 3000 hits and 500 HRs is not in. It is ridiculous to see a Hall of Fame that excludes the best of the best.

Hawgdriver
12-05-2016, 11:30 PM

It's a gap between what a club manager values and what a team owner values.