PDA

View Full Version : Kilgo waived for a long snapper

broncofaninfla
11-25-2016, 12:12 PM
With Chad Kreiter being out this week the Broncos have opted to waive DT Darius Kilgo and have signed Thomas Gafford. Kind of telling that the Broncos kept all of their WR's and cut the only back up NT on the roster. Maybe running more 3 WR sets for the rest of the season?

spikerman
11-25-2016, 12:24 PM
I had high hopes for Kilgo. I know they'll probably bring him back if nobody signs him, but it's obvious they see him as a "bubble" guy. It really doesn't say much for him given the state of the Broncos' run defense.

broncofaninfla
11-25-2016, 12:42 PM
I would have thought newly acquired WR Marlon Jones would be the bubble guy over Kilgo. Makes me wonder if we are changing to more 3 WR sets.

weazel
11-25-2016, 12:49 PM
run defense are overrated anyway ;)

Joel
11-25-2016, 12:51 PM
I had high hopes for Kilgo. I know they'll probably bring him back if nobody signs him, but it's obvious they see him as a "bubble" guy. It really doesn't say much for him given the state of the Broncos' run defense.
No kidding; with Walker out for the year I expected Kilgo to be the primary guy rotating with Sly, because it's hard for one guy to command double teams and STILL collapse pockets for 3½ solid hours. But it hasn't worked out that way. I trust Wade and Co. know what they're doing, but it sure seems like we're back to the days when the middle of our defensive line was really soft. Pity; I've enjoyed the past few years of saying, "You tried to RUN on us? You poor dumb SOBs...."

Simple Jaded
11-25-2016, 01:11 PM
They cut a player at a position they're weakest, meh.

Potroast still available if Kilgo doesn't clear, Saints cut John Jenkins a week ago...and, scariest of all, the Broncos are high on the super awesome Bob Peko.

Edit.

Besides all that, couldn't James Ferentz have LS'ed for the time being instead of being a total waste of space?

VonDoom
11-25-2016, 01:22 PM

Potroast still available if Kilgo doesn't clear, Saints cut John Jenkins a week ago...and, scariest of all, the Broncos are high on the super awesome Bob Peko.

Edit.

Besides all that, couldn't James Ferentz have LS'ed for the time being instead of being a total waste of space?

They were using Billy Winn in practice, but I guess they didn't feel comfortable enough with him in a game situation.

As I said in the other thread, this doesn't make much sense to me. Obviously they don't care that much about Kilgo, even if he will (probably) be re-signed.

VonDoom
11-25-2016, 01:23 PM
I would have thought newly acquired WR Marlon Jones would be the bubble guy over Kilgo. Makes me wonder if we are changing to more 3 WR sets.

I think you mean Marlon Brown. They just signed that guy to a two year deal and apparently think very highly of him. No chance he was being cut, even temporarily.

broncofaninfla
11-25-2016, 01:28 PM
I did, thank you for the correction. I was surprised we kept him with a surplus at WR and arguably at shortage now at DL/DT

Denver Native (Carol)
11-25-2016, 01:50 PM
The Broncos on Friday signed veteran long snapper Thomas Gafford and waived nose tackle Darius Kilgo to clear a roster spot. First-year long snapper Casey Kreiter is week to week with a calf injury and is expected to miss Sunday’s prime-time game against the Chiefs.

Gafford, 33, has played with five different teams since signing with the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent in 2006. His longest stint (105 games) was with the Kansas City Chiefs, from 2008-14. Last season he played 11 games with the Chicago Bears before closing out the year with Oakland. The Raiders signed him last December after Jon Condo was injured in their win over the Broncos.

In addition to his snapping duties, Gafford recorded 19 special-teams tackles and recovered one fumble during his first eight seasons in the league.

He will wear No. 45 for the Broncos.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/11/25/broncos-sign-ls-thomas-gafford-waive-nt-darius-kilgo/

Joel
11-25-2016, 02:00 PM
No, I'm pretty sure an offensive lineman's what they SIGNED, not cut. Punting a dozen times a week makes a good LS more critical than ever. ;)

Potroasts continued availability suggests neither Denver nor anyone else is high on HIM. The longer he sits on a couch, the more I wonder if 32 GMs know something we don't; remember when everyone thought Evan Mathis was a steal?

Dapper Dan
11-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Yeah, but Talib is on twitter now.

NightTerror218
11-25-2016, 02:21 PM
So we have sly williams and kyke peko now at DT?

NightTerror218
11-25-2016, 02:23 PM
Peko is practice squad. So winn backup?

dogfish
11-25-2016, 03:05 PM
ugh. . . it sucks to be this thin on the D-line. . . especially when gotsis can't contribute anything. . . it's disappointing that we haven't groomed somebody well enough that they can fill in competently for one game. . . with all the extra OLs a team typically carries, you'd think at least one of them could manage an adequate long snap. . . we have to pray that sly doesn't go down. . . all our fancy edge talent isn't going to look that great if we're reduced to playing some traffic cones in the middle. . .

atwater27
11-25-2016, 06:45 PM
ugh. . . it sucks to be this thin on the D-line. . . especially when gotsis can't contribute anything. . . it's disappointing that we haven't groomed somebody well enough that they can fill in competently for one game. . . with all the extra OLs a team typically carries, you'd think at least one of them could manage an adequate long snap. . . we have to pray that sly doesn't go down. . . all our fancy edge talent isn't going to look that great if we're reduced to playing some traffic cones in the middle. . .

Right now I would gladly give up Ware, Shaq, Roby or Shane Ray or a combination of them for 1 or 2 good D lineman

slim
11-25-2016, 06:55 PM
run defense are overrated anyway ;)

The run defense was putrid with him :hi:

dogfish
11-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Right now I would gladly give up Ware, Shaq, Roby or Shane Ray or a combination of them for 1 or 2 good D lineman

i wouldn't. . . i'd happily go after a free agent next year, though-- and / or spend another high draft pick there. . . i do know what you mean, though. . . we were super lucky with our depth up front last year-- and a little unlucky to lose walker in camp. . . we'd be way better with him, no question about it. . . dude is a stud against the run. . . hopefully he can come back strong next season, and gotsis can give us something in year two. . .

slim
11-25-2016, 07:07 PM
Giving up a pass rusher would be asinine...they are like gold.

atwater27
11-25-2016, 07:13 PM
Giving up a pass rusher would be asinine...they are like gold.

Dude what good is a passrusher when teams can just run up your gut and throw to running backs with ease. They are as useless as paperweights if you cant stop the run.

Poet
11-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Dude what good is a passrusher when teams can just run up your gut and throw to running backs with ease. They are as useless as paperweights if you cant stop the run.

I feel you. I couldn't give up Ray, though.

Simple Jaded
11-25-2016, 09:36 PM
They were using Billy Winn in practice, but I guess they didn't feel comfortable enough with him in a game situation.

As I said in the other thread, this doesn't make much sense to me. Obviously they don't care that much about Kilgo, even if he will (probably) be re-signed.

Actually I like Winn better, I think (hope) this is temporary anyway.

Simple Jaded
11-25-2016, 09:43 PM
No, I'm pretty sure an offensive lineman's what they SIGNED, not cut. Punting a dozen times a week makes a good LS more critical than ever. ;)

Potroasts continued availability suggests neither Denver nor anyone else is high on HIM. The longer he sits on a couch, the more I wonder if 32 GMs know something we don't; remember when everyone thought Evan Mathis was a steal?

Yeah, I think NT is right up there with the OL, they got one dude and he seems to have been inconsistent this season. In fact, if his job is to help Todd Davis to NOT be Todd Davis he's failed miserably.

I'm not implying that there's a "steal" waiting to be had that GM's don't know about, let's keep this into perspective. But there is another "Kilgo" waiting to be had that GM's don't even care about. That's if Kilgo is even claimed.

silkamilkamonico
11-28-2016, 01:33 AM
Dlinemen are a hell of a lot easier finds than pass rushers like the ones we have. Coaches haven't had a chance to shore that up because of the transition of winning a SuperBowl.

GEM
11-28-2016, 08:24 AM
What a strange issue in Bronco land, complete opposite of what's always been true. Our oline sucks balls, but we have a dline that can really play. Something is wrong in the cosmos or something. :lol:

Joel
11-28-2016, 02:00 PM
What a strange issue in Bronco land, complete opposite of what's always been true. Our oline sucks balls, but we have a dline that can really play. Something is wrong in the cosmos or something. :lol:
Except that our offensive line has sucked balls ever since McDumbass blew it up on arrival: It was just a lot harder to blame everything on the QB with PFM under center (not that many people didn't try anyway.)

VonDoom
11-28-2016, 06:11 PM
Patriots claimed Kilgo because of course they did

Buff
11-28-2016, 06:15 PM

Patriots gonna Patriot.

Simple Jaded
11-28-2016, 06:30 PM

"When you're making a deal with the P*triots you have to wonder if you're making the right decision"-- Chris Collinsworth

I get so ****ing sick of people sucking their balls.

GEM
11-28-2016, 06:32 PM
And he'll go on to become the Patriot's next Wilfork for the next decade. :lol:

dogfish
11-28-2016, 07:25 PM

was there any doubt they would?

Simple Jaded
11-28-2016, 07:37 PM
NE defensive line is milquetoast as it gets, Malcolm Brown and bunch of meh. Trade the DE cause they hate paying anyone and They cut the only other DL they've hit on in draft after two seasons.

The fact that they're interested in Kilgo makes me question drafting him in the first place.

Buff
11-29-2016, 02:45 PM
NE defensive line is milquetoast as it gets, Malcolm Brown and bunch of meh. Trade the DE cause they hate paying anyone and They cut the only other DL they've hit on in draft after two seasons.

The fact that they're interested in Kilgo makes me question drafting him in the first place.

They may or may not ever play him - they are primarily pumping him for information from him ahead of our December 18 game I'm sure. What else are you going to do if you can't film our walk thrus or steal defensive signals?

Tned
11-29-2016, 03:06 PM
Damn, hadn't seen that NE picked Kilgo up.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-29-2016, 03:48 PM
Our d-line is ok; if they were that good they wouldn't suck against the run.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-29-2016, 03:49 PM

We play NE soon. That might be the only reason Bill B. picked him up. He seeems to do that a lot.

silkamilkamonico
11-29-2016, 09:19 PM
Dammit. Kilgo was a very good young project with a lot of ability.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-29-2016, 10:05 PM
Dammit. Kilgo was a very good young project with a lot of ability.

He couldn't get in the rotation on a team that can't stop the run. It's gotten so bad Billy Winn is now our 2nd NT.

silkamilkamonico
11-29-2016, 11:05 PM
He couldn't get in the rotation on a team that can't stop the run. It's gotten so bad Billy Winn is now our 2nd NT.

We can only hope our dline coaches aren't s inept at coaching and developing young talent as our oline coaches are. I guess we'll find out soon.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-29-2016, 11:20 PM
We can only hope our dline coaches aren't s inept at coaching and developing young talent as our oline coaches are. I guess we'll find out soon.

I'm not concerned about our D-line coaching. I think the evidence supports good coaching.

JPPT1974
11-30-2016, 12:59 AM
Yeah but the defense was very tired as really the team was out coached. And really should had punt not kicked that 62-yard Field Goal. Not a smart move on Kubiak's part.

dogfish
11-30-2016, 01:03 AM

we already know. . . kollar is a beast, and has been for years. . . it's not his fault that walker got hurt, or that gotsis is a year away. . .

Simple Jaded
12-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Hopefully they at least discussed trading Kilgo for Derby and saving the draft pick.

NightTerror218
12-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Hopefully they at least discussed trading Kilgo for Derby and saving the draft pick.

Derby is working out for us so far

Joel
12-02-2016, 08:07 PM
What kind of idiot GM would trade a draft pick for a guy when he knows the team's just going to release him anyway? :tongue: Speaking of which, it says a lot about the general league consensus on Kilgo that he made it all the way to NE* on waivers; they're what, 2nd or 3rd behind Dallas and (maybe) Oakland now?

Simple Jaded
12-02-2016, 09:22 PM
What kind of idiot GM would trade a draft pick for a guy when he knows the team's just going to release him anyway? :tongue: Speaking of which, it says a lot about the general league consensus on Kilgo that he made it all the way to NE* on waivers; they're what, 2nd or 3rd behind Dallas and (maybe) Oakland now?

How would anybody know Denver was going to cut Kilgo? Nobody I know of saw it coming.

Joel
12-02-2016, 11:57 PM
How would anybody know Denver was going to cut Kilgo? Nobody I know of saw it coming.
It was mainly a joke, because the Cheats were very likely to cut Derby once Gronk was healthy (even though he's on IR now) but Elway gave up a pick to secure him. I guess he didn't think Derby would last that long on the waiver wire.

Simple Jaded
12-03-2016, 12:15 AM
It was mainly a joke, because the Cheats were very likely to cut Derby once Gronk was healthy (even though he's on IR now) but Elway gave up a pick to secure him. I guess he didn't think Derby would last that long on the waiver wire.

I didn't know they would've cut Derby.

spikerman
12-09-2016, 06:54 AM
Looks like the Pats got what they needed from Kilgo. They waived him.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Looks like the Pats got what they needed from Kilgo. They waived him.

So we should bring him back and cut Norwood? I agree.

NightTerror218
12-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Derby had been a great pick up for us so far.

VonDoom
12-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Kilgo signed with the Patriots practice squad

Simple Jaded
12-11-2016, 12:15 AM
P*triots thought they got caught cheating again and were preparing for the lose of Alan Branch, but, Branch won his appeal so they don't need Kilgo anymore.