PDA

View Full Version : Semifinalists announced for '17 Hall of Fame Class

Denver Native (Carol)
11-16-2016, 10:47 PM
A field of 94 nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2017 was condensed to 26 candidates on Wednesday during NFL Network's Gold Jacket Semifinalists special.

The 26 semifinalists will be trimmed to 15 finalists in early January. The current group includes 15 offensive stars, eight defensive stalwarts, two coaches and one kicker.

Among the first-year eligibles, former San Diego Chargers running back (and current NFL Network analyst) LaDainian Tomlinson is the headliner.

The 2006 NFL Most Valuable Player, Tomlinson was a five-time Pro Bowl selection and six-time All-Pro across 11 seasons with the Chargers and New York Jets. He ranks fifth in career rushing yards (13,684), seventh in all-purpose yards (18,456) and third in touchdowns (162).

Other first-year eligibles include safety Brian Dawkins, defensive end Jason Taylor and wide receiver Hines Ward.

Those players will be joined by 2016 finalists such as Kurt Warner, Terrell Davis, Terrell Owens, John Lynch and Don Coryell.

Davis, the former Denver Broncos running back, has made the semifinalist list 11 times, the most of any nominee this year.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000741028/article/semifinalists-announced-for-17-hall-of-fame-class

Davii
11-16-2016, 10:57 PM
This is TD's year.

BroncoWave
11-17-2016, 12:12 AM
This is TD's year.

Gotta be. Other than LT, this is a pretty "meh" first year class. No excuse for leaving the him out anymore.

Freyaka
11-17-2016, 10:00 AM
Gotta be. Other than LT, this is a pretty "meh" first year class. No excuse for leaving the him out anymore.

I mean, there's B-dawk and Lynch too. Ideally I'd like to see both Lynch and TD make it this year and then Dawkins make it in the future.

BroncoWave
11-17-2016, 10:34 AM
I mean, there's B-dawk and Lynch too. Ideally I'd like to see both Lynch and TD make it this year and then Dawkins make it in the future.

Safeties typically don't get in first ballot, as we saw with Lynch. So I don't think B-Dawk gets in this year either. I think TO absolutely should get in too though, and it baffles me that he wasn't first ballot.

Northman
11-17-2016, 11:08 AM
They will find a way to jip TD out of it this year. Just watch.

Freyaka
11-17-2016, 11:18 AM

Well there is no Jerome Bettis this year...so hopefully not.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-17-2016, 11:30 AM
A slew of former Broncos made the cut to 26 semifinalists for induction into the 2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame class.

Four Ring of Famers -- safeties Steve Atwater and John Lynch, running back Terrell Davis and linebacker Karl Mecklenburg -- made the first cut, announced Wednesday night by the Hall of Fame.

Two other former Broncos -- safety Brian Dawkins (2009-11) and cornerback Ty Law (2009), are also on the list.

Lynch is a three-time finalist. Davis is a two-time finalist. Atwater was selected as a finalist for the first time last January.

The list will be pared to 15 finalists in January. Atwater, Davis and Lynch were all finalists last year. Dawkins, a two-time Pro Bowler with the Broncos, is in his first year of eligibility.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Four-Broncos-Ring-of-Famers-among-semifinalists-for-2017-Hall-of-Fame-class/ba5a00a0-90f0-4451-bbf8-a4dbd12d7b2e

IMO, Steve, TD, and Karl should already be in. With that said, based on previous years, it will be a miracle if one of them gets in this year.

Northman
11-17-2016, 12:28 PM
God..if you are out there please allow Steve Atwater and Terrell Davis to get into the HOF before i die. Ok?

Poet
11-17-2016, 12:38 PM
God..if you are out there please allow Steve Atwater and Terrell Davis to get into the HOF before i die. Ok?

I will oblige this request.

Northman
11-17-2016, 12:52 PM
I will oblige this request.

Thanks Dog!

NightTerror218
11-17-2016, 01:31 PM
Broncos are one of the beat frqnchises that is the least represented in the HOF. Its sad really.

CoachChaz
11-17-2016, 01:45 PM
I'll continue to protest until Rod Smith gets in. Numbers every bit as good as Michael Irvin, but done quietly and with class.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-17-2016, 01:51 PM
Some things from article:

The Hall of Fame contributor committee made the absurd nomination of active Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones instead of Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen – a decision widely criticized and ridiculed by fans and media alike.

More recently, the Hall of Fame doubled-down on its stance to not allow family members of players inducted posthumously to receive the prestigious mementos of the Gold Jacket and ring.

Perhaps, the Hall can begin to recover from its public relations nightmare by finally bronzing the bust of Broncos’ running back Terrell Davis.

Broncos who were among the 94 Hall of Fame nominations back in September but were snubbed from the top 26 semifinalist list: Receiver Rod Smith, center Tom Nalen, safety Dennis Smith and coach Dan Reeves.

Davis – a former NFL MVP and the best postseason running back in league history -- has been a top 25 or 26 semifinalist all 11 years that he’s been eligible for Hall consideration. He reached the 15-man finalist group each of the past two years.

An argument can be made that given their team’s success in the past 40 years, the Broncos are the most underrepresented franchise in the Hall of Fame. There are just four players with strong Broncos’ playing resumes who are enshrined in Canton’s hallowed halls: John Elway, Floyd Little, Shannon Sharpe and Gary Zimmerman.

Compare that to the Buffalo Bills, who have 10 representatives in the Hall of Fame; Kansas City Chiefs (11), Detroit Lions (15), and Cleveland Browns (16). The Lions and Browns have never played in a Super Bowl. The Bills have never won one. The Chiefs haven’t appeared in a Super Bowl since the 1970 merger.

The Broncos have played in eight Super Bowls since 1977, winning three.

full article - http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/broncos-hall-of-fame-semifinalists-davis-lynch-atwater-mecklenburg-dawkins/353385771

Freyaka
11-17-2016, 01:57 PM
I'll continue to protest until Rod Smith gets in. Numbers every bit as good as Michael Irvin, but done quietly and with class.

One of the best UDFA of all time. That has got to count for something right?

VonDoom
11-17-2016, 02:55 PM

This is my fear as well. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, because they get crushed every time around.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-17-2016, 03:48 PM
The Pro Football Hall of Fame's selection process for the Class of 2017 has officially begun. The 48-person committee compiled an initial list of 94 modern-era nominees from which these 26 semi-finalists were selected. This list will be further reduced to the 15 finalists, who will be unveiled in January.

We now invite you to evaluate the careers and legacies of these all-time greats and select who you think should advance to the next round of consideration for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2017.

http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/halloffame/2017

It says select 15 players. I would assume if you only pick the 4 Bronco players, your vote will not count. I have no idea if they even take the fan vote into consideration.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-17-2016, 06:06 PM
I'm a big fan of both Lynch and Dawkins, but neither should be in before Steve Atwater.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Well there is no Jerome Bettis this year...so hopefully not.

No, instead you have LT who absolutely should be a first ballot HOFer. I don't think they'll put in 2 RBs. They might, but I doubt it.

Freyaka
11-17-2016, 09:40 PM
No, instead you have LT who absolutely should be a first ballot HOFer. I don't think they'll put in 2 RBs. They might, but I doubt it.

But at least with LT I won't feel like they screwed him over...No way does Bettis deserve in over TD

Northman
11-18-2016, 04:42 AM

I dont mind if LT goes in after Davis. Im cool with that.

capt. Jack
11-18-2016, 08:24 AM
#77 really should be in the hall!

Freyaka
11-18-2016, 09:19 AM
I dont mind if LT goes in after Davis. Im cool with that.

LT deserves to be there as much as TD does. What did urk me is Bettis getting in there first, but if TD has to wait another year because of LT, so be it, but he better get in there within the next 2-3 years at longest.

BroncoJoe
11-18-2016, 10:51 AM
LT deserves to be there as much as TD does. What did urk me is Bettis getting in there first, but if TD has to wait another year because of LT, so be it, but he better get in there within the next 2-3 years at longest.

We've already been saying that for ten years.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-18-2016, 12:03 PM
We've already been saying that for ten years.

Exactly -

Davis – a former NFL MVP and the best postseason running back in league history -- has been a top 25 or 26 semifinalist all 11 years that he’s been eligible for Hall consideration. He reached the 15-man finalist group each of the past two years.

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/broncos-hall-of-fame-semifinalists-davis-lynch-atwater-mecklenburg-dawkins/353385771

Freyaka
11-18-2016, 01:34 PM
Exactly -

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/broncos-hall-of-fame-semifinalists-davis-lynch-atwater-mecklenburg-dawkins/353385771

I think the big thing we need to keep in mind, even if we have said that for 10 years, the last two years he's gotten to the 15-man finalist group because of his affiliation with NFL Network. They have been lobbying for him to get in. That is why I say it should happen in the next 2-3 years. Unlike earlier in his eligibility he has someone fighting for him.

The HOF is a popularity contest, he's popular now because of his analyst position.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-18-2016, 01:46 PM
I think the big thing we need to keep in mind, even if we have said that for 10 years, the last two years he's gotten to the 15-man finalist group because of his affiliation with NFL Network. They have been lobbying for him to get in. That is why I say it should happen in the next 2-3 years. Unlike earlier in his eligibility he has someone fighting for him.

The HOF is a popularity contest, he's popular now because of his analyst position.

If the HOF has truly turned into nothing more than a popularity contest, that is total disrespect for those players who deserve to be there, but never will, because they are NOT in the public eye. Never was that way - John went in the first year he was eligible, based TOTALLY on what he achieved on the field. Also, I thought the selection committee was suppose to vote on what players achieved during their career. Might as well throw out the selection committee if it is based on popularity now.

Freyaka
11-18-2016, 01:49 PM
If the HOF has truly turned into nothing more than a popularity contest, that is total disrespect for those players who deserve to be there, but never will, because they are NOT in the public eye. Never was that way - John went in the first year he was eligible, based TOTALLY on what he achieved on the field. Also, I thought the selection committee was suppose to vote on what players achieved. Might as well throw out the selection committee if it is based on popularity now.

Ideally, that's the way it should be. But I ask you, did Jerome Bettis do anything HoF worthy? If you look at the HoF it is filled with players from teams that are media favorites like the Cowboys, Giants, pats, ect... There are hardly any Broncos on there despite being the 2nd winningest franchise in ALL of American sports in the last 30 years. We've got 3 Superbowl rings to boot. We are a small market team and so our players get overlooked unless they have backing from media outlets to push them through like TD does now.

The HoF sadly is and has been for some time a joke of a popularity contest.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Once again, TD made the finalists; however so did LaDainian Tomlinson.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000769131/article/pro-football-hall-of-fame-class-of-2017-finalists

And there is this, which has LaDainian Tomlinson as the only Lock, according to the person writing the article.

The other top candidates

Terrell Davis, running back: Forget the short-career argument -- Davis' candidacy is picking up steam. Davis has waited a decade to hear his name called, but this could be the year for the best running back of the late-'90s. His 2,000-yard campaign, Super Bowl MVP and league MVP haven't been enough to merit inclusion ... yet. That said, the telltale sign that 2017 could be the year is the emergence of Tony Boselli in the finalist discussion -- as well as Kenny Easley being the Seniors nominee. Both, like Davis, only played seven years in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story/0ap3000000769126/article/hall-of-fame-finalists-ladainian-tomlinson-closest-to-lock-status

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Terrell Davis ‏@Terrell_Davis 36m

Humbled and honored to be selected as a Pro Football HOF finalist. #HOF2017

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 58m

TD's problem: LaDainian Tomlinson joined ballot this yr. LT is a finalist. Is he a first-ballot Hall of Famer? Postseason says no. #9sports

Poet
01-03-2017, 10:40 PM
LT is a first ballot RB. Judging RB's on postseason success is silly. LT wasn't the reason they kept losing to the Patriots, or underachieved in the regular season. I don't know who Klis is, but if he's a Denver media guy he comes across as a huge homer.

LT was the best back of his generation who was a beast blocking, running, and receiving. He has the record for most TD's in a season. They should both get in, but denigrating another legend is absurd.

Freyaka
01-03-2017, 10:45 PM
LT is a first ballot RB. Judging RB's on postseason success is silly. LT wasn't the reason they kept losing to the Patriots, or underachieved in the regular season. I don't know who Klis is, but if he's a Denver media guy he comes across as a huge homer.

LT was the best back of his generation who was a beast blocking, running, and receiving. He has the record for most TD's in a season. They should both get in, but denigrating another legend is absurd.

Klis is about the biggest hack in denver outside of of course Kizla...

spikerman
01-03-2017, 11:05 PM
Curtis Martin making it in before Davis bugs me as much as Bettis.

Poet
01-03-2017, 11:10 PM
Curtis Martin making it in before Davis bugs me as much as Bettis.

He was top ten in rushing all time. RB is the sport that historically has the most abridged careers. Long term production at the top of the league should be cherished. As the fans of someone with an abridged career I think we can value that, too.

Northman
01-03-2017, 11:12 PM

While i agree on the surface with everything you said i will only say that for me any time a Bronco has a chance to get in i will always put them first in my hopes. LT was great but i really dont give a shit about that right now because the man who i want in is TD because he also accomplished a lot in a short span. Just my thoughts on that.

Poet
01-03-2017, 11:16 PM
While i agree on the surface with everything you said i will only say that for me any time a Bronco has a chance to get in i will always put them first in my hopes. LT was great but i really dont give a shit about that right now because the man who i want in is TD because he also accomplished a lot in a short span. Just my thoughts on that.

This is probably me being involved in law and a bunch of other shit that runs on a system, so let me start by saying that I feel you. If a system is going to **** over me, or mine, whether it's an athlete I like or a friend, I'd prefer not to get ****** upon. I think Abe Lincoln said some shit like that.

I just want a fair system. Ideally they would both get in because they both deserve it.

If that ideal, or logical conclusion, isn't going to be reached, LT can kick rocks.

dogfish
01-03-2017, 11:55 PM

#MetalAF

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2017, 10:37 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — When Terrell Davis got news from his agent three years ago that he'd been named a Hall of Fame finalist for the first time, the former Broncos' great almost crashed his car.

This year's finalist nod didn't come with quite the same degree of shock — but it was just as much of an honor for a player whose case for Hall of Fame candidacy is no secret. Fifteen years after his retirement, there is still no other player to match Davis with an NFL MVP award, Super Bowl MVP award and 2,000-yard rushing season.

“There’s no guarantee that they’re going to call your name every year,” Davis said. “My excitement for this year was just as much as my excitement the first year I heard my name called as a finalist. I don’t take it for granted. Certainly, you’re always thinking about the possibility of it happening. And once this moment happens, you’re just one step closer to it being a reality.”

Davis, who looks to break into the Hall of Fame after years of being on the doorstep, said he himself only recently recognized the significance of his accomplishments.

“What’s interesting is that I never thought about it while I was playing,” Davis told DenverBroncos.com. “You just play. You try to hold yourself accountable to your teammates and your coaches, at least I did. I wanted to try to make the people around me feel like I had their back and that you could count on me. … I was never thinking about numbers or MVPs — I just wanted to play as hard as I could for the guy next to me, in front of me, behind me.

“Looking back on it, yeah, that was a difficult feat. It was tough to show up in moments like that, when you talk about playoffs and throughout an entire season. It showed consistency, and I’m proud of that.”

rest - much more - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Terrell-Davis-sees-ground-swell-of-support-for-HOF-case/881c8b0d-e056-44c2-aca7-e14365bd4fbb

Nomad
01-08-2017, 06:22 PM
LT was fun to watch when not playing the BRONCOS, and TD was awesome. Too bad they both can't get in this year, but my bias vote goes to TD. I wish it mattered. :lol: