PDA

View Full Version : Justin Simmons named AFC Special Teams player of the week

VonDoom
11-16-2016, 09:51 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Rookie safety Justin Simmons' week in the spotlight continued Wednesday when he was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.

Simmons was instrumental in the Bronocos' 25-23 comeback win over the New Orleans Saints with an extra point block that came after he leapt over the line of scrimmage.

The Broncos' reserve free safety hurdled over the snapper, jumped again and deflected Saints kicker Will Lutz's kick. The ball bounced right to fellow rookie safety Will Parks, who returned the ball all the way to the Saints end zone for two points and a 25-23 win.

The play was just the third of its kind since the rule was implented before the 2015 season. A team had never before won a game on a similar-type play.

Simmons, a rookie out of Boston College, has seen extensive time on defense this season in a nickel and reserve safety role. Though Simmons missed time with a hand injury, the third-round pick has proven to be a valuable asset for both Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips and Special Teams Coordinator Joe DeCamillis.

This award marks the 26th time that a Broncos player has earned the token since it was created in 1993. Kicker Matt Prater (Dec. 8, 2013) was the last player to win the award. Simmons joins former defensive end Shane Dronett as the last Broncos player to win the award after blocking the kick.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Justin-Simmons-named-AFC-Special-Teams-Player-of-the-Week/f21e2103-4611-4980-af53-84a33befb89d

capt. Jack
11-16-2016, 10:02 AM
That was alot of fun to watch, very entertaining!!

I just was kinda memorized, kinda like the "Mile High Miracle" ending.
I wasn't sure of the rules, but I was thinking we scored a point or two or three to take the lead.

LOTSA FUN!!!

:)

NightTerror218
11-16-2016, 10:45 AM
Awesome. I see his name pop up more and more as he makes plays. Finally some depth at safety.

VonDoom
11-16-2016, 11:16 AM
I know Eric Berry had a big game on Sunday, but I have no idea how Stewart didn't win defensive player of the week. Two INT and a fumble recovery? What more does he need to do?

Freyaka
11-16-2016, 02:40 PM
I know Eric Berry had a big game on Sunday, but I have no idea how Stewart didn't win defensive player of the week. Two INT and a fumble recovery? What more does he need to do?

Not be on the Broncos apparently...

NightTerror218
11-16-2016, 04:20 PM

Score a TD

Lynch12
11-16-2016, 07:10 PM
We have two young stud safeties for the future. I think both are going to be play makers. Learning from two of the best right now as well.

Lynch12
11-16-2016, 07:14 PM

Eric berry won them the game, he scored in crunch time.

VonDoom
11-16-2016, 10:58 PM
Eric berry won them the game, he scored in crunch time.

As I said, he had a great game. I think Stewart did more. Peters really won them that game, too