PDA

View Full Version : UPI gives Broncos B+ midseason grade

Tned
11-03-2016, 11:03 AM
PASSING OFFENSE B-minus -- First-time NFL starter Trevor Siemian has displayed composure under the rush and an improved deep ball that resulted in two long touchdown passes at Cincinnati in Week 3 and downfield connections against San Diego in Week 8. Siemian's yardage per attempt needs to improve; at just 6.9 yards, he ranks 28th among quarterbacks with at least 50 attempts this season. He's only thrown four interceptions and had a streak of 167 passes without an interception, the fifth longest in Broncos history. But he also had a slew of near-interceptions in that span, including three in Week 8.

RUSHING OFFENSE: C-minus

PASS DEFENSE: A-plus

RUSH DEFENSE: C-minus

SPECIAL TEAMS: B

COACHING: A-minus

OVERALL: B-plus

Most Valuable Player: Outside linebacker Von Miller.

Most Disappointing Player: Left tackle Russell Okung.

Most Surprising Rookie: Safety Will Parks.

Read the full breakdown/commentary for all the grades at: http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2016/11/03/Denver-Broncos-midseason-report-card-B-plus/2861478179967/

wayninja
11-03-2016, 12:52 PM
The title says B-, but the body says overall is B+?

I wouldn't disagree with the B+ rating. I'd probably rate our passing offense lower though, maybe a flat C or C-. We've been pretty luck to not have more turnovers and at least one of the two downfield throws mentioned against SD was not a good throw. It was just an amazing catch by Sanders that should have gotten him killed (again, fairly lucky).

Tned
11-03-2016, 01:09 PM

I wouldn't disagree with the B+ rating. I'd probably rate our passing offense lower though, maybe a flat C or C-. We've been pretty luck to not have more turnovers and at least one of the two downfield throws mentioned against SD was not a good throw. It was just an amazing catch by Sanders that should have gotten him killed (again, fairly lucky).

I see what I did. On their headline they did it as B-plus and the B- stuck in my head.

Tned
11-03-2016, 01:09 PM
If a mod sees this, could you fix the thread title to B-Plus?

Lynch12
11-03-2016, 01:27 PM
I don't know how any coaching on the offensive side deserves an A.

BroncoWave
11-03-2016, 01:50 PM

The other deep pass was also an amazing catch by DT.

wayninja
11-03-2016, 02:19 PM
If a mod sees this, could you fix the thread title to B-Plus?

You aren't a mod?

Canmore
11-03-2016, 02:29 PM
The other deep pass was also an amazing catch by DT.

Siemian was just there.

Canmore
11-03-2016, 02:31 PM
You aren't a mod?

He's the Administrator, but he has always kept that separate from the mods. He is not a mod.

BroncoJoe
11-03-2016, 03:41 PM
You aren't a mod?

He just owns the place.

Tned
11-03-2016, 03:44 PM
You aren't a mod?

Long story and you know how I'm not big on long winded posts, but needless to say my Tned account does not have mod or admin permissions, and I didn't have the password for my admin account handy.

That, or I'm just a lazy **** that wanted someone else to do my work. You choose.

elsid13
11-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Long story and you know how I'm not big on long winded posts, but needless to say my Tned account does not have mod or admin permissions, and I didn't have the password for my admin account handy.

That, or I'm just a lazy **** that wanted someone else to do my work. You choose.

I'm giving you a B - for being lazy

atwater27
11-04-2016, 12:37 PM
I'd give the passing offense a D for dink and dunk Orton class fooball, the staggering number of almost picks and almost pick sixes off of those stupid 5 yard out routes, being to afraid to throw the ball downfield.
I'd give the rushing offense a C for being inconsistent and for the ridiculous amount of holding penalties.

I'd give the secondary an A for being friggin awesome. Our passrush is an A-, the minus being everyone on the Dline not named Wolfe. Our rushing defense an D- with a guy named Wolfe the reason it is not an F.

Our inside linebackers are F's. so disappointed. The pats are going to absolutely stomp us because they throw to the running backs and tight ends better than anyone, and as Atlanta showed the NFL, we have no linebacker coverage skills whatsoever.

Our special teams a C because even though we are solid on coverage, yet again we don't have anyone who can bust a big one and a punter who more often than not shanks it.

Wade Phillips A+ for being awesome at his craft.
Rick Dennison D for being unimaginative, predictable and not learning from previous mistakes.
Gary Kubiak B for somehow being 6-2 with an atrocious offense.

BroncoWave
11-04-2016, 01:34 PM
I don't agree with you much Atwater but that was a pretty spot on assessment. The 6-2 record kinda does feel like smoke and mirrors but we'll find out for sure one way or another with our tough back half of the schedule.

Tned
11-04-2016, 01:42 PM
I don't agree with you much Atwater but that was a pretty spot on assessment. The 6-2 record kinda does feel like smoke and mirrors but we'll find out for sure one way or another with our tough back half of the schedule.

Really? I'm the opposite. Unlike last year where the good start took so many last minute, miraculous defensive scores, this season has been much more controlled and the record feels just about right. We didn't have an answer for the Falcons RBs and the first SD game was just a bit rough all around. Otherwise, the Broncos have been playing their brand of football, which is dominant defense and mostly mistake free offense.

wayninja
11-04-2016, 01:42 PM
I may just be a fan, but it's hard to be excited about exceeded expectations when the expectation was bottom of the league.

Lynch12
11-04-2016, 02:02 PM
The broncos.have played some.very tough games thus far and.came out 6-2, I doubt the team implodes but we won't make any noise in the playoffs unless we get our offense together.

BroncoWave
11-04-2016, 02:09 PM
The broncos.have played some.very tough games thus far and.came out 6-2, I doubt the team implodes but we won't make any noise in the playoffs unless we get our offense together.

Yeah I'm still thinking we can get to 10 or 11 wins but I agree we probably won't make much noise in the playoffs. Last year was a magical year where everything came together at the right time but that's hard to repeat.

atwater27
11-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Really? I'm the opposite. Unlike last year where the good start took so many last minute, miraculous defensive scores, this season has been much more controlled and the record feels just about right. We didn't have an answer for the Falcons RBs and the first SD game was just a bit rough all around. Otherwise, the Broncos have been playing their brand of football, which is dominant defense and mostly mistake free offense.
Mostly mistake free only because the opposing defenses have dropped like 5 picks, many of which would have likely gone the distance.

Tned
11-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Mostly mistake free only because the opposing defenses have dropped like 5 picks, many of which would have likely gone the distance.

Happens to every qb, every year. Just like the pick six on Sunday should have been caught by Norwood.

FanInAZ
11-04-2016, 08:34 PM
I'm giving you a B - for being lazy

I'm giving him an A because, realizing that he can devote the time to be a mod, he has assembled a mod team that has the backbone to stand up to the cyber-bullies & bring a minimal level of civility here. The down fall of Broncosfreak is that the mods would back down when they were being accused of being Nazis for trying to enforce the CoC. I give him an A+ if the mods were more strict in their enforcement, but that's why nobody here would ever want me to be a mod :D

Simple Jaded
11-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Not surprising that fans are butt hurt over something, we just don't like how this team is built.

The P*triot Envy is getting pretty ******* old.

wayninja
11-04-2016, 09:30 PM

Would you say that it's over inflated?

Simple Jaded
11-04-2016, 09:34 PM
Would you say that it's over inflated?

Si, El Guapo.

FanInAZ
11-04-2016, 09:56 PM
Not surprising that fans are butt hurt over something, we just don't like how this team is built.

Actually, I say that our fan base has higher expectations then the Cleveland Browns'. We want SB wins, but this team's O doesn't look like it has the ability to deliver. Then again, I said the same thing about last year. I'm definitely enjoying our success, but if you want my assessment of this team, I'll be comparing it to the 3 teams I cheered on to SB victories.

Simple Jaded
11-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Actually, I say that our fan base has higher expectations then the Cleveland Browns'. We want SB wins, but this team's O doesn't look like it has the ability to deliver. Then again, I said the same thing about last year. I'm definitely enjoying our success, but if you want my assessment of this team, I'll be comparing it to the 3 teams I cheered on to SB victories.

Last years team is a good comparison, but like you said, even last years edition wasn't good enough for fans.

FanInAZ
11-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Last years team is a good comparison, but like you said, even last years edition wasn't good enough for fans.

Not good enough to win the SB doesn't = not good enough for me. I still showed up in Broncos' colors to root for them in the AFCCG, that I expected them to lose, as well as the SB. I've been rooting for them this entire season, even though my pre-season expectations were such that I was hoping that we would just finish with a winning record.

BroncoWave
11-04-2016, 10:45 PM

Maybe an extremely small minority of fans. I think the overwhelming majority were pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Simple Jaded
11-06-2016, 03:09 AM
Maybe an extremely small minority of fans. I think the overwhelming majority were pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Happy with the way it turned out is a given, the journey there is what I was referring to.