PDA

View Full Version : Practice / press conference notes - week 9 (Raiders week)

VonDoom
11-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Perhaps you've heard that there's a pretty big game coming up on Sunday night?

In any case, here's some quick practice squad news to kick it off this week:

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 8m8 minutes ago

Broncos signed RB Terrell Watson to the practice squad. Will be at practice today.

VonDoom
11-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Interesting read on Derek Carr. Some stuff to watch for on Sunday:

After throwing for four touchdowns and 513 yards in last week’s overtime win against the Bucs, Carr’s name is being floated in MVP discussions. But that’s only because people feel they’re supposed to do that whenever a QB on a winning team has big numbers. The Raiders are tied for first, and Carr has 17 touchdowns and just three interceptions this season.

The coronation seems natural, but the film tells a different story. What’s been apparent almost every week (except last Sunday) is that Carr’s accuracy is improving but still isn’t always commensurate with his considerable arm talent. Uneven drop-back footwork is often to blame. Carr can sometimes get away with it because he is a fluid, athletic thrower who can sling fastballs or float touch passes. But too often he misses on many routine throws.

Let’s be clear before the Twitter rampages ensue: all of this analysis falls under the banner of The Higher Standard that Carr should be held to. He’s gifted enough to one day become a top-tier QB, but he’s not there yet. He must sharpen his play.

Also apparent on film: there are snaps almost every week when Carr doesn’t read the field clearly or patiently. The pace with which he makes his reads can be erratic. At times Carr goes too fast, abandoning good reads before open receivers materialize. Other times he stays on bad reads too long, which leads to other open receivers being missed. These are critical mistakes that cannot be captured by any statistical metric, no matter how “advanced.” And they’re the types of mistakes that you almost never see from a Tom Brady, a Drew Brees or a Ben Roethlisberger.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/02/nfl-derek-carr-oakland-raiders

Denver Native (Carol)
11-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Terrell Watson

@terrellwatson33

God is good and always faithful! #blessed
6:42 PM - 1 Nov 2016

VonDoom
11-02-2016, 01:02 PM
This is a weird quirk:

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 4m4 minutes ago

Forecast temperature for Sunday's Broncos-Raiders game is 64 degrees. Will be the Broncos' first sub-70 degree game since the AFC title game

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-02-2016, 01:13 PM
This is a weird quirk:

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 4m4 minutes ago

Forecast temperature for Sunday's Broncos-Raiders game is 64 degrees. Will be the Broncos' first sub-70 degree game since the AFC title game

That will probably be a good thing considering potential humidity levels.

Davii
11-02-2016, 01:15 PM
That will probably be a good thing considering potential humidity levels.

Yeah, Derek Carr's free-flowing tears might add to the humidity levels when Ware and Von meet in the middle.

VonDoom
11-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 10m10 minutes ago

Not practicing: Talib, Stewart, Ward, Harris, Webster, Paradis. Entire starting No-Fly Zone out today. Ward & Harris out here watching.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 15m15 minutes ago

Devontae Booker (shoulder) is practicing in #Broncos viewing period.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 9m9 minutes ago

Brandon Marshall is practicing #9sports

VonDoom
11-02-2016, 01:47 PM
James Palmer Verified account
‏@JamesPalmerTV

Last time both Broncos & Raiders were 6-2 or better after 8 games was 1998. Elway won 2nd Super Bowl. Raiders had Jon Gruden as their HC

James Palmer ‏@JamesPalmerTV 11m11 minutes ago

The Broncos defense has 75 QB hits, 19 more than the next-closest team & more through 8 games than any team since 2000.

VonDoom
11-02-2016, 02:33 PM
Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 2m2 minutes ago

Devontae Booker limited today per Kubiak #Broncos @1043TheFan

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 1m1 minute ago

#Broncos added 3 captains for 2nd half of season: Trevor Siemian (offense), T.J. Ward (defense), Dekoda Watson (special teams).

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1m1 minute ago

Says a lot that #Broncos players elected Siemian as offensive captain for second half @DenverChannel

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 46s46 seconds ago

Entire starting secondary + Kayvon Webster didn't practice. Harris, Ward, Stewart were rest days. Talib's back is still bothering him.

VonDoom
11-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 5m5 minutes ago

#Broncos Kubiak @1043TheFan "the key to balance is ball movement. You've got to have balance and stay aggressive"

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m4 minutes ago

#Broncos Kubiak on Carr "he's throwing more than anyone and turning it over less. That's what this league is about" @DenverChannel

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 4m4 minutes ago

#Broncos Kubiak @1043TheFan "it's still Raiders week. A tough test for us"

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m3 minutes ago

#Broncos Marshall ahead of Talib in recovery. Kubiak Expects both back but not certain yet @DenverChannel

VonDoom
11-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 1m1 minute ago

Siemian on being captain: "It means a lot to me to be a part of this locker room. Then to be thought of in that light -- it's a huge honor."

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos Trevor Siemian "I wasn't seeing things right...just a little too inconsistent from where I want to be" @1043TheFan

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos Siemian on his pick six "I deserved that (based on other bad throws). I have to be more consistent" @DenverChannel

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 58s58 seconds ago

Siemian on penalties: "I still don't know what a holding call is. ... Truthfully I'd rather they hold than me get hit."

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 24s25 seconds ago

#Broncos Trevor Siemian "AJ Derby is making up a lot of ground. Hope we can get him in there soon" @1043TheFan

NightTrainLayne
11-02-2016, 02:55 PM
It says a lot that the team voted Siemian a Captain for the 2nd half of the season.

Barring some unforeseen disaster, we aren't seeing Lynch again this season imo. The players are behind Siemian.

VonDoom
11-02-2016, 03:44 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 22m22 minutes ago

T.J. Ward: "We never liked the Raiders. We just don't like them. You ever not like someone and you don't know why? We just don't like them."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 18m18 minutes ago

#Broncos TJ Ward told me of Crabtree and Cooper "I feel they have 2 good receivers. They don't have 2 elite receivers" @DenverChannel

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 18m18 minutes ago

Chris Harris on Derek Carr's 500-yard game: "That's Bucs secondary makes it hard to watch."

underrated29
11-02-2016, 04:05 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 22m22 minutes ago

T.J. Ward: "We never liked the Raiders. We just don't like them. You ever not like someone and you don't know why? We just don't like them."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 18m18 minutes ago

#Broncos TJ Ward told me of Crabtree and Cooper "I feel they have 2 good receivers. They don't have 2 elite receivers" @DenverChannel

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 18m18 minutes ago

Chris Harris on Derek Carr's 500-yard game: "That's Bucs secondary makes it hard to watch."

Throwing some serious shade at the fade. I love it

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-02-2016, 05:11 PM
The no fly boys know how to throw some serious smack 😂

Hawgdriver
11-02-2016, 11:05 PM
The Broncos defense has 75 QB hits, 19 more than the next-closest team & more through 8 games than any team since 2000.

This is a championship level defense.

Hawgdriver
11-02-2016, 11:06 PM

Did he? . . .

my man.

make 'em salty, junior

Joel
11-03-2016, 03:32 AM
Did he? . . .

my man.

make 'em salty, junior
Well, I mean, this is a Bucs D OUR offense beat 27-7 ON THE ROAD, with Lynch playing the whole second half. Naturally Carr and Oakland beat them, too—in OT. ;)

Maybe riding the SB MVP and No Fly Zone to a chapionship against the NFL MVP and #1 offense has me overconfident, but I'm far less worried about what they'll do to our D than what THEIR D will do to an offense that's made even bad Ds look good all the way back to the 2014 playoffs. A year ago we gave Khalil Mack a coming out party; a month ago we did the same for Vic Beasley. And if we lose I get to hear about it all week at work. :(

Lynch12
11-03-2016, 01:18 PM
It says a lot that the team voted Siemian a Captain for the 2nd half of the season.

Barring some unforeseen disaster, we aren't seeing Lynch again this season imo. The players are behind Siemian.

You mean like the ultimate peyton manning captain being benched last year? Whoops. And thn the TEAM getting right behind brock? Who ended up being a bitch a burning the team? The TEAM will get behind whoever is back there because that's the kind of locker room we have.

Lynch12
11-03-2016, 01:21 PM
The no fly boys know how to throw some serious smack 😂

You like the smack?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-03-2016, 01:25 PM
You like the smack?

I don't do drugs

VonDoom
11-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 14m14 minutes ago

Aqib Talib not practicing. Harris, Ward and Stewart are practicing #9news

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 12m12 minutes ago

Russell Okung and Matt Paradis watching practice, not participating. #Broncos

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 11m11 minutes ago

#Broncos Kayvon Webster working with trainer on side @DenverChannel

James Palmer Verified account
‏@JamesPalmerTV

Aqib Talib (back) not here at practice. I'm told he might play Sunday. Right now most likely come down to a game time decision source says.

Lynch12
11-03-2016, 01:31 PM
With the way doss and company played talib can chill out again this week and really get healthy.

NightTrainLayne
11-03-2016, 02:28 PM
You mean like the ultimate peyton manning captain being benched last year? Whoops. And thn the TEAM getting right behind brock? Who ended up being a bitch a burning the team? The TEAM will get behind whoever is back there because that's the kind of locker room we have.

If Siemian is unable to play due to injury, then yes, he will be benched just like Manning. This fits under the "unforeseen disaster" clause of my post.

Canmore
11-03-2016, 02:33 PM
With the way doss and company played talib can chill out again this week and really get healthy.

Carr and company are hoping.

Lynch12
11-03-2016, 02:35 PM
If Siemian is unable to play due to injury, then yes, he will be benched just like Manning. This fits under the "unforeseen disaster" clause of my post.

Is Trevor healthy now? Many around here are blaming his poor play the last 3 games on some injury, so what's really going on?

Also one of your quarterbacks should be a captain, it's weird to not have the guy whose starting at quarterback not be one of the captains. I dont think it means much that he's a captain, I just hope he starts playing well because if he doesn't you will see your captain quarterback benched.

Lynch12
11-03-2016, 02:37 PM

I don't think Card is all that great yet, I mean if your throwing it 60 times you should put up some numbers in 5 quarters vs the bucs of all teams.

VonDoom
11-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 7m7 minutes ago

#Broncos Talib in California to get second opinion on his back. It's day to day. @DenverChannel

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 7m7 minutes ago

Kubiak said they got good vibes from trainers on Talib's back injury. Hasn't been ruled out for Sunday yet.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 3m3 minutes ago

Kubiak said Brandon Marshall's chances of playing Sunday are better after practicing 2 straight days. Kayvon Webster showing good progress.

VonDoom
11-03-2016, 02:47 PM

That's what I was thinking. Not saying we can't win without him, as last week proved, but we are a better team with him on the field.

Canmore
11-03-2016, 02:47 PM
I don't think Card is all that great yet, I mean if your throwing it 60 times you should put up some numbers in 5 quarters vs the bucs of all teams.

Carr isn't elite...yet, but he is working on it. Time will tell. Additionally, 500 yards is a ton no matter the circumstances.

Lynch12
11-03-2016, 03:05 PM
That's what I was thinking. Not saying we can't win without him, as last week proved, but we are a better team with him on the field.

Of course having 3 elite corners is better than 2, but the raiders are not 3-4 deep at wideout so I think we could be fine with talib missing one more game, especially if our front 7 steps up and showpro out like they're accustomed to doing. Carr should be in for a nightmare.

Lynch12
11-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Carr isn't elite...yet, but he is working on it. Time will tell. Additionally, 500 yards is a ton no matter the circumstances.

I think he's a good young quarterback who hasn't faced good competition at all this year, so hell be in for a rude awakening.

VonDoom
11-03-2016, 03:35 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m3 minutes ago

#Broncos Wade Phillips "I got shot up for practice" for pain. "If I was going to go out, I'd want it to be on a pick six" @DenverChannel

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 3m3 minutes ago

Wade Phillips got jokes. "They did a CAT scan on my head and they didn't find anything."

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos DC Wade Phillips said he's thinking about coaching from the box Sunday because he's still in some pain.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 45s46 seconds ago

#Broncos Wade Phillips said feels comfortable if Roby starts and Doss gets more playing time. @DenverChannel

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 19s20 seconds ago

Phillips said he's glad that he only suffered fractured rib. Could've been worse since he hit his head pretty hard.

BroncoJoe
11-03-2016, 03:38 PM
Wade is Boss.

Lynch12 isn't.

Lynch12
11-04-2016, 12:15 AM
Umm okay? Must have took alot to come up with that.

Canmore
11-04-2016, 12:17 AM
Umm okay? Must have took alot to come up with that.

Not really.

Lynch12
11-04-2016, 12:38 AM
Nobody was talking to you?

Davii
11-04-2016, 07:35 AM
Nobody was talking to you?

BroncoJoe was?

underrated29
11-04-2016, 11:06 AM
BroncoJoe was?

I'm Ron Burgandy?

capt. Jack
11-04-2016, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure how much I'm liking the Raiders all of a sudden, the last year or so, being good again. With that being said it would be fantastic to get the win on Sunday night. But I think we have to play our best football.

dogfish
11-04-2016, 12:38 PM
well f**k me. . . talib's out again this weekend. . . no bueno. . .

VonDoom
11-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 10m10 minutes ago

Aqib Talib has been ruled out.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 9m9 minutes ago

#Broncos Talib will receive pain injection."We feel good about him going forward. He's in great spirits. But smart thing is giving him rest"

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 6m6 minutes ago

Kubiak expects Brandon Marshall, Matt Paradis and Kayvon Webster to play Sun v. #Raiders. All listed as questionable.

Lynch12
11-04-2016, 02:05 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 10m10 minutes ago

Aqib Talib has been ruled out.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 9m9 minutes ago

#Broncos Talib will receive pain injection."We feel good about him going forward. He's in great spirits. But smart thing is giving him rest"

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 6m6 minutes ago

Kubiak expects Brandon Marshall, Matt Paradis and Kayvon Webster to play Sun v. #Raiders. All listed as questionable.

This is good news, aqib talib needs to be 100% going down the stretch.

Timmy!
11-04-2016, 03:19 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/72902803.jpg

Ummm....our #1 corner and possibly 2nd best player on the entire team being out in a huge game because his back is apparently screwed up is not "good news."

dogfish
11-04-2016, 03:30 PM
Ummm....our #1 corner and possibly 2nd best player on the entire team being out in a huge game because his back is apparently screwed up is not "good news."

yep. . . it's now being reported that he needed a cortisone shot. . . good news would have been hearing that they got the issue remediated, and it's not expected to be a problem going forward. . . just have to cross our fingers that the new course of treatment will help, and that it won't affect him all year. . . yes, we can be thankful to have good depth there-- it still doesn't mean you want to test it more than you have to. . . talib brings a lot of this defense's swagger and playmaking ability. . .

underrated29
11-04-2016, 05:06 PM
yep. . . it's now being reported that he needed a cortisone shot. . . good news would have been hearing that they got the issue remediated, and it's not expected to be a problem going forward. . . just have to cross our fingers that the new course of treatment will help, and that it won't affect him all year. . . yes, we can be thankful to have good depth there-- it still doesn't mean you want to test it more than you have to. . . talib brings a lot of this defense's swagger and playmaking ability. . .

And talib shuts down crabtree like sherman. Now its up to Roby. I still want Harris on Coops

Magnificent Seven
11-04-2016, 05:41 PM
And talib shuts down crabtree like sherman. Now its up to Roby. I still want Harris on Coops

FYI: Amari Cooper is still listed as questionable for this game.

dogfish
11-04-2016, 06:19 PM

we aren't moving corners to get matchups this year. . . heard an interview with chris harris where he talked about it. . . they just line up on their same side and play. . .

VonDoom
11-04-2016, 06:58 PM
FYI: Amari Cooper is still listed as questionable for this game.

I'm going to assume anyone listed as questionable will play unless we hear otherwise. That includes Cooper and Sean Smith on the other side of the ball.

VonDoom
11-04-2016, 06:59 PM

You want to try Roby with a sorry receiver like Crabtree? (A pick six) is the result you gon' get

Lynch12
11-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Roby can shut down any wideout, dude has mega talent, there's no drop off with talib out, especially when doss and Webster step up the way they did. It's amazing hiw deep we are at corner, we have 3 of the best cornere,

underrated29
11-04-2016, 09:36 PM
we aren't moving corners to get matchups this year. . . heard an interview with chris harris where he talked about it. . . they just line up on their same side and play. . .

Yep, which is why Talib shuts down crabs. Talib and crabs both line up on same side (yes I know crab will switch to other side occasionally but like DT and heman it's a right and left thing

underrated29
11-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Roby can shut down any wideout, dude has mega talent, there's no drop off with talib out, especially when doss and Webster step up the way they did. It's amazing hiw deep we are at corner, we have 3 of the best cornere,

There is def a drop off. Roby is good but he is not Talib good. Not yet

Simple Jaded
11-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Cortisone is shit, I thought they had better shit than that.

Lynch12
11-04-2016, 10:49 PM
There is def a drop off. Roby is good but he is not Talib good. Not yet

I didn't notice a drop off, I didnt notice them magically attacked roby as they wouldn't do with talib, talib has more brain game than roby for sure, you can tell he's seasoned. Roby isn't to far behind though, the guy takes his craft serious. Apparently doss and webster does as well.

spikerman
11-05-2016, 08:17 AM
I get these shots in my back. If it's a continuing issue he'll probably need them about every 3 months. They really do help though.

Nomad
11-05-2016, 08:48 AM
I just like watching Talib play the game. I have no doubt the next man up will do a fine job. Same for CJ.

VonDoom
11-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Broncos promote Taurean Nixon, release John Phillips per Klis

Tned
11-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Broncos promote Taurean Nixon, release John Phillips per Klis

Yea and with Webster ruled out, Nixon is the dime QB with Doss being the nickel.

underrated29
11-06-2016, 01:03 AM
I didn't notice a drop off, I didnt notice them magically attacked roby as they wouldn't do with talib, talib has more brain game than roby for sure, you can tell he's seasoned. Roby isn't to far behind though, the guy takes his craft serious. Apparently doss and webster does as well.

It's big. Talib is a top 5 CB. Maybe top 3...... Roby is top 15 I'd say but he is not close to Talib yet.

Chj
Talib
Peterson
Vontae
Revis
Sherm
Norman
Hayden
Claiborne (this year anyway)
What's his face on the Chiefs
Jason verrett
Rhodes

Off the top of my head .....Roby still has plenty of time to get ahead of these guys but he is not yet there

Simple Jaded
11-06-2016, 02:56 AM
U my Mom is a better CB than Revis at this point.

underrated29
11-06-2016, 04:33 AM
U my Mom is a better CB than Revis at this point.

I wanted to reply with a good one liner. I'm sure there is one in there somewhere. But I couldn't. So,

Fair enough

dogfish
11-06-2016, 12:34 PM
I wanted to reply with a good one liner. I'm sure there is one in there somewhere. But I couldn't. So,

Fair enough

he's right. . . revis isn't even trying anymore. . . he's lost his deep speed, and guys are just running past him. . .

underrated29
11-06-2016, 02:47 PM
Yes so top 14

Simple Jaded
11-06-2016, 10:20 PM

Fair enough

Ms Mantooth is a Saint, you hear?