PDA

View Full Version : Wolfe told Rivers he would eat his kids

GEM
10-30-2016, 09:45 PM
http://http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/30/derek-wolfe-told-philip-rivers-he-would-eat-his-kids/

Derek Wolfe may actually be an animal, not a defender in the NFL.

After the Broncos defeated the Chargers 27-19 on Sunday, Wolfe told Altitude Sports host Vic Lombardi that his relationship with San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers hasn’t been the same since he told the signal-caller that he was going to eat his kids.

:laugh:

sneakers
10-30-2016, 10:59 PM
literally a wolf

Northman
10-31-2016, 03:52 AM
Yesterday all the things i remembered Rivers being in terms of whiny and being a huge puzzy surfaced. It was enjoyable to watch TJ and the gang give him fits.

DenBronx
10-31-2016, 05:26 AM
As much as Rivers can be a whiney doosh sometimes, you all have to admit, he is a tough sum bitch. Right now, I wish he was our QB. Dude probably could have already won a SB on another team. He can march an offense of scrubs down a field like nothing.

Joel
10-31-2016, 06:28 AM
As much as Rivers can be a whiney doosh sometimes, you all have to admit, he is a tough sum bitch. Right now, I wish he was our QB. Dude probably could have already won a SB on another team. He can march an offense of scrubs down a field like nothing.
Dude's got heart and talent, and a healthy rivals respect, even affection, for Denver fans, and doesn't toot his own horn a lot. In todays league, those are rare and valuable qualities to be appreciated, and I'm pretty sure most of us would do just that if he hadn't been carrying a bitter division rival for the only decade they've really QUALIFIED as rivals. Sure, he whines a lot, but that's because he's a competitor, and a passionate one; again, nothing to fault in that.

He's destined to go down as another one of those elite QBs forced and unable to win championships on his own. When SD had a D and LT, they were a force to be reckoned with (until Norv screwed them in the playoffs,) but since they've been reduced to Rivers, Gates and NOTHING it's just gotten sad.

GEM
10-31-2016, 06:54 AM
He's one of those guys that makes it easy to dislike him, but you'd love him if he was on your team.

Tned
10-31-2016, 07:54 AM
He's one of those guys that makes it easy to dislike him, but you'd love him if he was on your team.

Yep. It was either last week or the week before I was in the car listening to Sirius NFL and they were having a fairly lengthy discussion about whether or not he's a HOF QB. They were saying that by the time he retires he will likely be top five in most QB categories, and they only real knock on him will likely be that he didn't win a ring.

Dapper Dan
10-31-2016, 08:28 AM
I think Wolfe said this to Rivers in the past. Ward (or whoever it was) was probably wrong when he said Wolfe said this to Brady.

GEM
10-31-2016, 08:38 AM
I think Wolfe said this to Rivers in the past. Ward (or whoever it was) was probably wrong when he said Wolfe said this to Brady.

Yea, he said it was in another game and Rivers has never talked to him since.

Dapper Dan
10-31-2016, 08:49 AM
Yea, he said it was in another game and Rivers has never talked to him since.

I figured it would take more to get Rivers to not talk.

Northman
10-31-2016, 09:09 AM

He also knows how to turn the ball over quite a bit.

BroncoWave
10-31-2016, 09:36 AM

Apparently Wolfe is the same way. I was reading a thread on Reddit about this quote and it seems like basically every non-Broncos fan hates him.

tomjonesrocks
10-31-2016, 09:53 AM
Did he say "Praise be to Allah" after?

Dapper Dan
10-31-2016, 09:53 AM
Apparently Wolfe is the same way. I was reading a thread on Reddit about this quote and it seems like basically every non-Broncos fan hates him.

Until this, I thought she was talking about Wolfe.

BroncoWave
10-31-2016, 09:55 AM
Until this, I thought she was talking about Wolfe.

I read it as her talking about Rivers.

Dapper Dan
10-31-2016, 09:57 AM
I read it as her talking about Rivers.

Obviously.

The only way to clear things up is for her to get in here and show some boobage.

Hawgdriver
10-31-2016, 09:58 AM
Yep. It was either last week or the week before I was in the car listening to Sirius NFL and they were having a fairly lengthy discussion about whether or not he's a HOF QB. They were saying that by the time he retires he will likely be top five in most QB categories, and they only real knock on him will likely be that he didn't win a ring.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think he deserves a fair shot at HOF. . . without any rings. Unless he somehow ends up as starting QB for the Broncos.

BroncoWave
10-31-2016, 10:01 AM
I think Rivers will have a tough case. Marino is an example of a HOFer not to win a ring, but he set all the passing records when he played and was a no-doubt top-5 QB of his generation, and did make it to the SB once. Kelly is another, but he at least made it there 4 times.

Rivers has never made a SB and you really can't even say he's for sure a top 5 guy of his generation with guys like Manning, Brady, Brees, Rogers, and maybe Big Ben he's behind.

I think he is an extremely borderline guy.

Hawgdriver
10-31-2016, 10:05 AM
I think Rivers will have a tough case. Marino is an example of a HOFer not to win a ring, but he set all the passing records when he played and was a no-doubt top-5 QB of his generation, and did make it to the SB once. Kelly is another, but he at least made it there 4 times.

Rivers has never made a SB and you really can't even say he's for sure a top 5 guy of his generation with guys like Manning, Brady, Brees, Rogers, and maybe Big Ben he's behind.

I agree those 5 get in first.

Northman
10-31-2016, 10:08 AM

Im with you there. I never saw Rivers as more than a middle of the pack QB in the same vein as Romo, Testeverde, etc.

wayninja
10-31-2016, 10:37 AM

His whining would really annoy me. I don't think there is a player who whines more (at least ON the field) in the entire league.

I do respect his skills though. The dude can sling it, that's for sure. Other than one pick happy season, he's constantly in the mix of the top rated QBs.

weazel
10-31-2016, 12:16 PM
to be fair, you would be whining if you had to play for the Chargers as well. He's a good QB and won't get a sniff at a superbowl

BroncoWave
10-31-2016, 12:20 PM
Im with you there. I never saw Rivers as more than a middle of the pack QB in the same vein as Romo, Testeverde, etc.

I wouldn't quite say he's "middle of the pack" he's always been one of the top 7-8 QBs in the league, he'd be a lock for the Hall of Very Good, but I think he falls just short of the HOF. If he is does ever get in it will take him a while.

wayninja
10-31-2016, 12:36 PM
Derek Wolfe is awesome. I used to get my haircut at the same place he did. So... that's an anecdote.

I like players who threaten to eat opposing players babies. It's just good, clean, family fun.

Poet
10-31-2016, 12:58 PM
Rivers has had a handful of top five QB seasons under his belt. FWIW he's a much better player than Eli, but Eli got to play with that pass rushing unit. Then again, a young Rivers had one helluva defensive unit to play with as well, and at one point his offense had Vincent Jackson, LT, Gates, and one of the better lines in all of football. IIRC he played a playoff game with a partially torn ACL, as well. He might be a borderline guy, but he deserves a look when the time comes.

Hawgdriver
10-31-2016, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't quite say he's "middle of the pack" he's always been one of the top 7-8 QBs in the league, he'd be a lock for the Hall of Very Good, but I think he falls just short of the HOF. If he is does ever get in it will take him a while.

Pretty much. How many QBs make it in?

slim
10-31-2016, 01:07 PM
Rivers has had a handful of top five QB seasons under his belt. FWIW he's a much better player than Eli, but Eli got to play with that pass rushing unit. Then again, a young Rivers had one helluva defensive unit to play with as well, and at one point his offense had Vincent Jackson, LT, Gates, and one of the better lines in all of football. IIRC he played a playoff game with a partially torn ACL, as well. He might be a borderline guy, but he deserves a look when the time comes.

Agree. He is a far better QB than Eli, which makes this entire conversation silly....winning a SB should have no bearing on the discussion.

The Glue Factory
10-31-2016, 01:09 PM

I don't think he gets much more than a glance. Lack of post-season play (let alone SB appearances) makes him a lock in missing the HOF in my mind. Elway managed to get to the SB with significantly less talent than Phyllis has had. HOF QB's can take teams to the playoffs, Rivers has a hard time doing even that.

BroncoWave
10-31-2016, 01:09 PM
Pretty much. How many QBs make it in?

It varies I'd say, but I would be surprised if any more than 5-6 guys from any particular era usually make it in.

wayninja
10-31-2016, 01:14 PM
It varies I'd say, but I would be surprised if any more than 5-6 guys from any particular era usually make it in.

How do you define an era? I'm not trying to nitpick you, just trying to understand the rate of HOF QB entries.

Poet
10-31-2016, 01:15 PM

It sucks because they are so many compelling guys out there. I watched McNabb do a lot with flat out bad WR's. Todd Pinkston went to another team and became their third WR. James Thrash was trash. and I can't even remember the third guy's name. He had TO for a brief stint and then Westbrook. McNabb probably won't get in, maybe he shouldn't, but he deserves a look.

Then look at Kurt Warner. You can make a pretty solid case for him.

In support of Rivers, I think he has a couple of records that people forget about. IIRC, he set a completion percentage record two years ago? I also think he's going to retire highly ranked in a lot of the categories. IDK. i don't like him at all, but I do respect him.

dogfish
10-31-2016, 01:29 PM
i'm not feelin' you guys on this one. . . if winning doesn't count, then it's nothing more than the Hall of Stats. . .

also, FTR, wolfe better pack his barbecue sauce-- doesn't rivers have like a dozen fat kids?

The Glue Factory
10-31-2016, 01:38 PM

Even THAT might be high. Only 25 QBs from the modern era are in the HOF.

The Glue Factory
10-31-2016, 01:39 PM
i'm not feelin' you guys on this one. . . if winning doesn't count, then it's nothing more than the Hall of Stats. . .

If it's just winning then there's a crap-ton of players that rightfully belong in the hall that aren't and some that are in that shouldn't (Floyd Little anyone?)

Poet
10-31-2016, 01:40 PM

also, FTR, wolfe better pack his barbecue sauce-- doesn't rivers have like a dozen fat kids?

Terry Bradshaw is a HoF QB and was less than average for a good part of his career. Joe Montana was a limited QB who thrived in a perfect situation for him. Big Ben needed damn near seven years before he became a top flight passing QB. Tom Brady needed quite a few years to become an elite passing QB.

Wildly different scenarios, but in each one a guy was overrated due to being a winner. It's part of the equation, but it's wildly overrated for how an individual player is in terms of their worth.

Nomad
10-31-2016, 01:59 PM
I wonder whose ear Wolfe will bite off. :D

MOtorboat
10-31-2016, 02:01 PM

In fairness, I don't think they're fat.

slim
10-31-2016, 02:02 PM
I can confirm they are not fat.

GEM
10-31-2016, 03:09 PM

You're low...he has 8. :shocked:

capt. Jack
10-31-2016, 03:11 PM
I bet they wouldn't taste any good, anyway!!!

:)

DenBronx
10-31-2016, 04:08 PM
Derek Wolfe is awesome. I used to get my haircut at the same place he did. So... that's an anecdote.

I like players who threaten to eat opposing players babies. It's just good, clean, family fun.

Have you seen his horrible haircut lately? Lol

:lol:

wayninja
10-31-2016, 04:09 PM

Yeah, explains why I haven't seen him.

DenBronx
10-31-2016, 04:11 PM
He also knows how to turn the ball over quite a bit.

That he does.

Az Snake
11-01-2016, 08:18 PM

https://twitter.com/RGreene5280/status/792913018485088260

I like his hairdoo !!!

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/1687/eXmA79.jpg]

Jaws
11-02-2016, 02:42 AM
literally a wolf

With Sharkish tendencies I like to think.

Jaws
11-02-2016, 02:52 AM
I bet they wouldn't taste any good, anyway!!!

:)

From my experience of eating Raiders I find the "don't swallow" approach works best.
Chew 'em up and spit 'em out!

Joel
11-03-2016, 02:56 AM

Even THAT might be high. Only 25 QBs from the modern era are in the HOF.
Define "modern era;" that's even worse than just "an era." But if it even means "were still playing after the merger," Wikipedias list (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pro_Football_Hall_of_Fame_inductees) (which it claims to be current through this year) says even 25 is too high: I count 20. Alphabetically, they are:

Aikman,
Blanda,
Bradshaw,
Dawson,
Elway,
Favre,
Fouts,
Griese,
Jurgensen,
Kelly,
Marino,
Montana,
Moon,
Namath,
Stabler,
Starr,
Staubach,
Tarkenton,
Unitas,
Young

The ones who never won a SB are limited to just Blanda, Fouts, Jurgensen, Kelly, Marino, Moon and Tarkenton. And Blanda and Jurgensen are in the Hall for what they achieved before rather than after the merger (though Blanda kicked until '75, and his '61 Oilers offense posted impressive stats even by modern standards, the year of the inaugural SB was also Blandas last either an Oiler or starting QB: He only played a SINGLE game at QB the rest of his career.)

Among non-champions, it's just Fouts, Kelly, Marino, Moon and Tarkenton, all but two of whom at least REACHED a SB. The sole unassailable ones are Tarkenton and Marino, who lost all their SBs, but set every career passing record in the book carrying bad teams to their SBs (Marinos Dolphins had NO D; Tarkenton had the Purple People Eaters, but awful skill players, and no decent linemen except Tinglehoff and Yary.)

Fouts is probably the weakest of the bunch, because, like Moon and Kelly, there's a good argument he was just an artifact of a great offense, and one that consistently came up short against solid pre-cap playoff teams who couldn't just be bombed into submission. Moon mitigates that with his longevity and CFL dynasties, Kelly with his unprecedented and unequaled 4 straight SB berths, but Fouts is just "look what Air Coryells West Coast Offense can (almost) do!"

So I guess the good news for Rivers is that the ONLY SB Era QB to make Canton without 1) reaching a SB and/or 2) doing something NEVER done before or since just happens to be a San Diego Charger. Whether that Bolt can strike twice in the same place remains to be seen though. Championships shouldn't matter as much as they do, but they STILL DO; that's been true far longer than the SB Era.

The Glue Factory
11-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Define "modern era;" that's even worse than just "an era." But if it even means "were still playing after the merger," Wikipedias list (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pro_Football_Hall_of_Fame_inductees) (which it claims to be current through this year) says even 25 is too high: I count 20.

According to the NFL HOF website (I think slightly more accurate than Wikipedia) there's 25 in the "modern era" (see here: http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/positions/)

What constitutes the modern era? Well, that was a hunt through the HOF Media guide. *YEESH* Here is the definition of modern era vs. pre-modern era:

Pre-Modern Era is defined as the majority of an enshrinees’ career occurred prior to 1946. Modern Era is defined as a majority of an enshrinees’ career occurred after 1946.

As for the discussion about Phyllis being HOF caliber? No. His body of work just isn't good enough in my mind. Then again Jerry Jones is in and Pat Bowlen isn't (along with other travesties like Gradishar) but I suppose Jones' membership on the HOF board of trustees matters more than actual contributions to the game itself. But that's a different discussion.

BroncoNut
11-03-2016, 01:23 PM
not a wise thing for Wolfe to say even if he didn't mean it. Imagine the Rivers children do get eaten, who do you think the cops would consider the primary suspect?

capt. Jack
11-03-2016, 01:30 PM
not a wise thing for Wolfe to say even if he didn't mean it. Imagine the Rivers children do get eaten, who do you think the cops would consider the primary suspect?

This made me laugh!

BroncoNut
11-03-2016, 01:47 PM
This made me laugh!

Thanks Captain Jack!

wayninja
11-03-2016, 05:33 PM

Wolfe.

Or A wolf.

FanInAZ
11-03-2016, 06:32 PM
According to the NFL HOF website (I think slightly more accurate than Wikipedia) there's 25 in the "modern era" (see here: http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/positions/)

What constitutes the modern era? Well, that was a hunt through the HOF Media guide. *YEESH* Here is the definition of modern era vs. pre-modern era:

As for the discussion about Phyllis being HOF caliber? No. His body of work just isn't good enough in my mind. Then again Jerry Jones is in and Pat Bowlen isn't (along with other travesties like Gradishar) but I suppose Jones' membership on the HOF board of trustees matters more than actual contributions to the game itself. But that's a different discussion.

Well, let’s analyses the data:

The last “Pre-Modern Era” QB
Sammy Baugh (QB) 1937-1952

The 1st “Modern Era” QBs
Otto Graham 1946-1955
Bobby Layne 1948-1962
Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964
Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960
Bob Waterfield 1945-1952

The pivotal years seems to be 1950, the year that they started allowing unlimited substitutions. So the “Pre-Modern Era” players played both offense & defense, while the “Modern Era” players (with very few exceptions) play one or the other.