PDA

View Full Version : Trade Siemian?

CrazyHorse
10-16-2016, 09:27 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/15/kiszla-broncos-trade-trevor-siemian-tony-romo/

As Trevor Siemian launched a Hail Mary pass that fell 6 yards short of the end zone as time expired, the truth should have hit Broncos general manager John Elway like a two-by-four: Denver doesn’t have a prayer of winning the Super Bowl with Siemian as its starting quarterback.

But will the Broncos be ready to get on with the rest of Paxton Lynch’s life before the team gets over this crazy dream of repeating as NFL champion?

When coach Gary Kubiak walks returns to his office Monday, the most pressing piece of business in the in-box will be as big as an elephant. While Broncos Country argues the merits of Siemian vs. Lynch, this issue is so complicated Kubiak must chew on it one bite at a time.

Lynch has a big game and a big frame. We know what a football hero looks like around here. Lynch has all the physical gifts in the tool box.

Siemian is working with little more than a screwdriver and an Allen wrench. After completing only one of the nine passes he attempted at least 10 yards downfield against San Diego, either Siemian’s left shoulder is hurt worse than the Broncos want us to believe or the coaches have zero faith in him to throw deep. “He showed some toughness going out there, but we wouldn’t have put him out there if we didn’t think that he was healthy enough to play,” interim coach Joe DeCamillis said.

Really? The failed Hail Mary by Siemian traveled 47 yards in the air as time expired. Even at age 56, Elway could have come down out of the stands and thrown it farther in his street clothes.

I would be all for this.

Pudge
10-16-2016, 09:39 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/15/kiszla-broncos-trade-trevor-siemian-tony-romo/

I would be all for this.

No.

BroncoWave
10-16-2016, 09:40 PM
Well, it's not as bad as your other thread about getting Cutler so I'll give you that.

FanInAZ
10-16-2016, 09:54 PM
So if we merge your 2 threads, trade Siemian for Cutler?

No Way!

Joel
10-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Siemian/Lynch isn't the problem. I know which one I'd rather see short-arming passes because his Swiss cheese line lets even BAD defenses pound the crap out of him while simultaneously failing to provide the run support that would slow those pass rushers down and avert the need to throw Hail Maries all game in the first place.

CrazyHorse
10-16-2016, 10:06 PM

No Way!

Romo.

BroncoWave
10-16-2016, 10:08 PM
Romo.

What's wrong with just developing our young QBs and building that way? We don't have to bring in a beat up veteran to try to get us to the Super Bowl every single year.

FanInAZ
10-16-2016, 10:21 PM
Romo.

He's not going to be available.

ShaneFalco
10-16-2016, 10:23 PM
Romo.

lol yea he would last all of 5 minutes behind broncos o line

Simple Jaded
10-16-2016, 10:23 PM
Romo? Behind this OL? What'd he ever do to you?

MOtorboat
10-16-2016, 10:25 PM
His trade value is almost nothing.

And what team would make the trade?

Rick
10-16-2016, 10:26 PM
Even if we wanted to, there is no way anyone would give us anything of any real value right now for Siemien.

7th round pick last year and then in his first year as a starter, the team that gave him a shot gives up on him 6 games into the season, exactly how well does that rate him to another team?

Simple Jaded
10-16-2016, 10:28 PM
Btw, I don't think Denver has the cap space for either of them.

BroncoWave
10-16-2016, 10:33 PM
Peyton Manning really spoiled some people apparently. We go 6 games without a stud QB and people panic.

UnderArmour
10-16-2016, 10:33 PM

No Way!

At least with the Cutler one, Cutler has played under Rick Dennison before. The Romo one is just puzzling. Veteran QB or not, he couldn't just slide in and play with no background in Kub's offense.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-16-2016, 10:49 PM
There's no reason to panic and start making rash decisions. The last 2 weeks, we've experienced some growing pains. We're 4-2 and we could easily be 3-3 (remember we beat Carolina on a missed FG). Our offense needs to evolve a little. Now that there's some film on our offense with Siemian at the helm and even some with Lynch, we need to adjust and get a little more creative. Hopefully Kubiak will come back soon and can "right the ship" so to speak. We don't need to trade Siemian or start Lynch right now.

Unfortunately, this offense isn't exactly creative and it's somewhat predictable. It's based more on execution than on skill. Right now, the offensive line isn't executing as well as they should be. That should be our focus more than anything else. The right side of our line is a mess. Even with Stephenson in at RT, both the run blocking and pass blocking haven't been up to snuff. This is the #1 issue that needs fixing. You can't expect Siemian or Lynch, both of whom are relatively new and inexperienced, to perform well without a running game or even average pass protection. The play calls are sometimes frustrating, but it's hard to throw downfield without a running game, and the resulting play action, and pass blocking that gives less than 2 seconds to throw on an average down.

Timmy!
10-16-2016, 11:17 PM
Lol. Oh man.

Joel
10-16-2016, 11:21 PM
You can't expect Siemian or Lynch, both of whom are relatively new and inexperienced, to perform well without a running game or even average pass protection.
This is the key, because WHO WOULD? Trading Siemian or anyone only makes since if it improves the team: Unless we traded him for a stud starting lineman, how would—how COULD—that improve anything? "The drivetrain's shot; swap out the engine and see if that fixes it." You already know it won't (I hope,) so why bother?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-16-2016, 11:53 PM
This article is not worth the price of toilet paper.

FanInAZ
10-16-2016, 11:58 PM
This article is not worth the price of toilet paper.

You actually read it? I didn't feel it necessary.

Tned
10-17-2016, 03:09 AM
What's wrong with just developing our young QBs and building that way? We don't have to bring in a beat up veteran to try to get us to the Super Bowl every single year.

Mostly because Broncos management and most fans, don't like the idea of giving up a season to develop a QB.

Considering Romo's lack of mobility and injury history, when not getting out of the way of hits, and the Broncos inability to protect the passer, I don't see it as a good fit, but it is interesting. Romo behind center for a year or two while Lynch learns how to play NFL ball could be enticing.

The three biggest issues are how much it would cost to get him, how much it would cost (cash/cap) to pay for him with about $22 million in guarantees left on his contract, and his injury history.

Northman
10-17-2016, 03:13 AM
Friends should not let friends drink and start threads.

Tned
10-17-2016, 03:16 AM

lol.

By the way, shouldn't you be asleep or something?

Dapper Dan
10-17-2016, 03:34 AM

Hey. You leave dog out of this.

Dapper Dan
10-17-2016, 03:35 AM
I'd trade him for Malik Jackson and Britton Colquitt.

Northman
10-17-2016, 03:43 AM
lol.

By the way, shouldn't you be asleep or something?

I would love to be asleep, but time to get ready for work. :tsk:

Lynch12
10-17-2016, 04:54 AM
Trevor doesn't have any trade value, I'd like to keep trevor anyway, I think he's fhe ideal back-up quarterback.

slim
10-17-2016, 11:00 AM
Peyton Manning really spoiled some people apparently. We go 6 games without a stud QB and people panic.

It's been a lot more than 6 games since we had a stud QB :hi:

turftoad
10-17-2016, 11:33 AM
I like Trevor just fine. However, he's not the long term answer. He doesn't have any wow factor in his game.
We didn't move up in the 1st round of the draft for nothing. IMO, Lynch will be the answer and I would like to keep Trevor as the backup.
Heck, if he grew a beard we could dub him as the next Clipboard Jesus!!

broncofaninfla
10-17-2016, 11:38 AM
The way I see it, Trevor is our best option for now. Lynch doesn't appear ready just yet but when he is he has far more upside than Siemian or at least it appears that way right now. With that said, it doesn't matter who we have playing QB, our offensive line and offensive play calling have been awful so far this season. Fix those an the QB play will get better.

EastCoastBronco
10-17-2016, 11:56 AM
All this trade talk is horse shit.
Once Demarcus Ware gets back we can start winning games with our defence again.
It's all good.

BroncoWave
10-17-2016, 12:12 PM
It's been a lot more than 6 games since we had a stud QB :hi:

Fair, but now that the name Manning isn't on the back of the jersey I think the panic mode has been ratcheted up.

CrazyHorse
10-17-2016, 03:40 PM
This is the key, because WHO WOULD? Trading Siemian or anyone only makes since if it improves the team: Unless we traded him for a stud starting lineman, how would—how COULD—that improve anything? "The drivetrain's shot; swap out the engine and see if that fixes it." You already know it won't (I hope,) so why bother?
Romo isn't an upgrade over Siemian?

Mostly because Broncos management and most fans, don't like the idea of giving up a season to develop a QB.

Considering Romo's lack of mobility and injury history, when not getting out of the way of hits, and the Broncos inability to protect the passer, I don't see it as a good fit, but it is interesting. Romo behind center for a year or two while Lynch learns how to play NFL ball could be enticing.

The three biggest issues are how much it would cost to get him, how much it would cost (cash/cap) to pay for him with about $22 million in guarantees left on his contract, and his injury history.

This 1000%

CrazyHorse
10-18-2016, 01:03 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-a-bold-suggestion-for-a-super-bowl-contender-trade-for-tony-romo/

Dak Prescott's white-hot start to the season coupled with questions about when 36-year-old injury-prone Tony Romo would be healthy enough to resume his quarterback duties have led us to this point.
The primary question is should Romo get his job back when he's cleared to return to the field? Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones has hedged in recent weeks though Prescott has made it clear that this is Romo's team. The other question is if Prescott is the present and the future in Dallas, should the Cowboys think about trading Romo?
Common sense says no, but desperation is a stinky cologne. Quarterback-needy teams with playoff hopes might be willing to mortgage the future for a shot at a title right now.
Which brings us to the Denver Post's Mark Kiszla, who writes that the Broncos should think about trading Trevor Siemian for Romo because "Denver doesn't have a prayer of winning the Super Bowl with Siemian as its starting quarterback."
Siemian is who we thought he was -- a 2015 seventh-round pick who is best suited as a game manager and not much else. That means he's not equipped to lead come-from-behind wins, but instead relies on Denver's defense to do the heavy lifting while he stays out of the way. You know, sort of like Peyton Manning last season, when the Broncos won a Super Bowl. Related: Manning finished the year as the second-worst passer in the league, according to Football Outsiders, ahead of only Nick Foles.
So, yes, the Broncos could stick with Siemian, or they could turn to rookie first-rounder Paxton Lynch, who doesn't appear ready for the full-time gig, or, as Kiszla puts forth, they could consider trading for Romo.

http://milehighsports.com/john-elway-needs-to-make-a-power-move/

In baseball, playoff contenders will sell the farm for a top-of-the-rotation pitcher that will set them over the edge and put them in the driver’s seat for the title. In basketball, teams on the verge will toss out first-round picks for a shooter or second-tier star — the Nuggets received two first round picks for Timofey Mozgov!

In the NFL, though, it’s status quo.

We rarely ever see an organization send away their best player at the deadline for a stash of picks or bring in an elite option to fill a gaping hole in their roster. Moves are made during the offseason, for better or worse.
But isn’t John Elway the type of guy to shatter the status quo?

Here’s the deal: The Broncos need a quarterback. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it. Yes, they won the Super Bowl last season without one, but that does not mean they’re in line to do the same this time around.

This is a championship team. They have a championship defense, championship weapons and championship coaches. That won’t last long. The window is small in the NFL, and even when it’s open, you may not be able to find it. The Broncos have been one of the best organizations in football for four decades, and they’ve come away with just three titles. Failure today, does not mean success tomorrow.

If you don’t take full advantage of your championship opportunity today, even at the cost of success tomorrow, you’re doing it wrong.

With that said, the Broncos need a quarterback, a good quarterback, more than any team needs any one player.

Fortunately, there might be a veteran available down in the Lone Star state.

Read more at http://milehighsports.com/john-elway-needs-to-make-a-power-move/#O4YTWv9EHjIHkGWM.99

Trade and restructure?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2016, 02:07 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-a-bold-suggestion-for-a-super-bowl-contender-trade-for-tony-romo/

Trade and restructure?

No thanks....

slim
10-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Romo might actually die if he had to play behind our OL....seriously.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Romo might actually die if he had to play behind our OL....seriously.

Valid point

NightTrainLayne
10-18-2016, 03:15 PM

Trade and restructure?

Good grief.

NFL QB's are not pitchers. You can trade for an MLB pitcher in the morning, and have them start that night if the team plane can get them there in time.

Neither are they outside shooters.

Those are two of the most asinine comparisons I've ever seen.

MOtorboat
10-18-2016, 05:30 PM

Trade and restructure?

No.

weazel
10-18-2016, 07:09 PM
http://truthcdm.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Sky-is-falling-news-headline.jpg

Simple Jaded
10-18-2016, 10:57 PM
Without DT, Ware or Talib this team doesn't win a SB, this guys an idiot.

Simple Jaded
10-18-2016, 11:01 PM
Who in the **** is Michael Jaycox? An elite player AND a No1?

He acts like the Broncos didn't just win a SB.

Gfy, Dude.

Joel
10-19-2016, 02:10 AM
Romo isn't an upgrade over Siemian?
Maybe 5 years ago, but not now. Romo needs a Unitasesque SB run this year, backing up Dak as an insurance policy too fragile to play the whole season himself.

For us though, it's academic, because beat up injury prone 36-year-olds don't exactly scream, "QBotF." If you think MANNING was hobbled the last few years behind our line: Spending his CAREER in that state is what reduced Romo to a shadow of his former self, which is all that yet remains.

There's (several) reasons I didn't want to immediatly throw Lynch to the lions Opening Day. He's raw and just got his playbook a few months ago, but the biggest was that I didn't want to turn him into shell-shocked egg-shell QB wildly throwing blindly on every play because he's 1) expecting to get leveled any second and 2) usually RIGHT to expect that. It wasn't too hard to foresee we'd soon end up exactly where we are now: With a designated starter too injured to play well, a line showing no sign of preventing that in future, and Lynch consequently playing just long enough for Siemian to be serviceable enough we could usher Lynch back to the safety of the bench to study the playbook.

I really feel bad for Siemian being in that situation, especially with the heart and abilities he's shown as young unheralded player in the tough situation of trying to simultaneously succeed a first ballot HoFer AND lead the Reigning Champs back to continued glory. But I'd feel bad for ANYONE in that situation; I'm just consoling myself with the knowledge it's last years 7th rounder instead of this years 1st rounder.

But no, shoving some other poor sacrificial lamb in there to absorb that punishment wouldn't solve any problems, just eat a lot of cap space if it were a career starter and Pro Bowler like Romo.

Valar Morghulis
10-19-2016, 10:13 AM
Joel longs for the past like uncle Rico

slim
10-19-2016, 10:17 AM
I long for the future, but I can never get there.

MOtorboat
10-19-2016, 10:21 AM
I long for the future, but I can never get there.

That's deep, slim.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-19-2016, 02:58 PM

You gotta problem with Uncle Rio?

Joel
10-20-2016, 01:15 AM
If you mean I wish Stephenson and Schofield/Sambrailo were Tony Jones and Brian Habib/Dan Neil, Paradis were Nalen and Garcia were Schlereth, then yes. But there was very little nostalgia in that post, just the acknowledgement ANY QB (or RB) is toast behind our CURRENT line, especially an over-the-hill porcelain doll. It costs a lot less to let Siemian be the poor SOB beat to death until we can fix that "protection" and "support" than a former Pro Bowler like Romo. That saves money to do things like pay Okung the ~$12M/yr we'll owe if we exercise our 4-year club option at the end of 2016, or a similar amount to replace him if we decline it.

"The Future Is Now." Unless your wife uses a certain racial slur so much your son later flings it at a reporter on tape: Then the future is him going from "presidential contender" to "former senator," while the opposition takes over your whole state and a national protest movement forms to make your team change its name. :tongue:

Valar Morghulis
10-20-2016, 05:39 AM
If you mean I wish Stephenson and Schofield/Sambrailo were Tony Jones and Brian Habib/Dan Neil, Paradis were Nalen and Garcia were Schlereth, then yes. But there was very little nostalgia in that post, just the acknowledgement ANY QB (or RB) is toast behind our CURRENT line, especially an over-the-hill porcelain doll. It costs a lot less to let Siemian be the poor SOB beat to death until we can fix that "protection" and "support" than a former Pro Bowler like Romo. That saves money to do things like pay Okung the ~$12M/yr we'll owe if we exercise our 4-year club option at the end of 2016, or a similar amount to replace him if we decline it. "The Future Is Now." Unless your wife uses a certain racial slur so much your son later flings it at a reporter on tape: Then the future is him going from "presidential contender" to "former senator," while the opposition takes over your whole state and a national protest movement forms to make your team change its name. :tongue:

It was more to do with your penchant for citing a qb from"the olden days" to make a point

gregbroncs
10-20-2016, 04:51 PM

I would be all for this.Not NO. HELL NO! The best thing about Romo is that he was on the Cowboys and that meant they were never going anywhere.