PDA

View Full Version : In Broncos' loss to Chargers, another slow start set the course

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2016, 11:03 AM
SAN DIEGO -- In a prime-time game played under the lights of Qualcomm Stadium, the Broncos nearly took themselves out of the game against the Chargers before the sun set over the nearby Pacific Ocean.

They pressed on and rallied and had a chance to come back, but for the second time in five days, they left too much to do and too little time to do it.

Once again, they fell behind 10-0. Once again, they trailed by three scores early in the fourth quarter. Once again, they marched downfield to scores that put them within an on-side kickoff of a last-gasp chance to tie the game.

Once again, the rally was ...

"Too little, too late," said quarterback Trevor Siemian after the 21-13 loss. "Too much to overcome."

AND

With such a chasm separating their performance at the game's outset to the rest of it, it's fair to ask the question: Why are the Broncos so slow out of the blocks, especially on defense?

rest, which includes comments from Brandon Marshall and TJ Ward, regarding the defense

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/In-Broncos-loss-to-Chargers-another-slow-start-set-the-course/66a278ac-96cc-4c94-9799-36d03e84714f

Broncoknight30
10-16-2016, 07:02 AM
I just looked at the team stats, just to glance at it. I was a bit surprised.

The chargers did not have 300 yards of offense, they were 3 for 13 on 3rd downs. I mean it sure seemed to me that the chargers were really moving the ball. Also, they only had 6 more minutes of TOP. Which means the Broncos really shut them down in the second half.

Of course, the 12 penalties to 3 (10 in the second half) is the story. That is it.

FINAL NFL: DEN 13 vs SD 21 http://www.espn.com/nfl/recap/_/gameId/400874693/ex_cid/espnapi_internal
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

It would be one thing if they were young and inexperienced. They are not. They are veterans. The loss is virtually ALL on them. Especially Okung.

Joel
10-19-2016, 02:28 AM
Yeah, the box score looks loopy on that one: We outgained them by nearly 40 yds but were never in it. They got HALF their rushing on a SINGLE PLAY, but needed 28 carries to gain just 51 yds on the rest, so averaged a pitiful 3.4/att, while we averaged an impressive 5.3 even with none going over 17. Siemian even hit 60% of his passes, with no Ints.

The problems were that none of those passes went very far (we actually averaged half a yard LESS per attempt PASSING than running,) our run game didn't actually do much apart from a handful of nice gainers by Booker, and the score, field position and penalties all combined to force a lot more of that unproductive short passing in long yardage than attempts to keep their D honest with Anderson/Booker runs.

*shrugs* When your front line commits end zone penalties and gets TDs called back, there's not much even the best highly-paid high profile "skill" players can do.

LawDog
10-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Yeah, the box score looks loopy on that one: We outgained them by nearly 40 yds but were never in it. They got HALF their rushing on a SINGLE PLAY, but needed 28 carries to gain just 51 yds on the rest, so averaged a pitiful 3.4/att, while we averaged an impressive 5.3 even with none going over 17. Siemian even hit 60% of his passes, with no Ints.

The problems were that none of those passes went very far (we actually averaged half a yard LESS per attempt PASSING than running,) our run game didn't actually do much apart from a handful of nice gainers by Booker, and the score, field position and penalties all combined to force a lot more of that unproductive short passing in long yardage than attempts to keep their D honest with Anderson/Booker runs.

*shrugs* When your front line commits end zone penalties and gets TDs called back, there's not much even the best highly-paid high profile "skill" players can do.

Actually, Joel, it was only the penalties. The other things could have been better, but the penalties absolutely killed them.

slim
10-19-2016, 10:56 AM
I just looked at the team stats, just to glance at it. I was a bit surprised.

The chargers did not have 300 yards of offense, they were 3 for 13 on 3rd downs. I mean it sure seemed to me that the chargers were really moving the ball. Also, they only had 6 more minutes of TOP. Which means the Broncos really shut them down in the second half.

Of course, the 12 penalties to 3 (10 in the second half) is the story. That is it.

FINAL NFL: DEN 13 vs SD 21 http://www.espn.com/nfl/recap/_/gameId/400874693/ex_cid/espnapi_internal
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

It would be one thing if they were young and inexperienced. They are not. They are veterans. The loss is virtually ALL on them. Especially Okung.

Based on the stat sheet, Denver out played them. I noticed that too.

The penalties and turnovers killed Denver. They each seemed to happen at the worst possible moment.

slim
10-19-2016, 10:57 AM
Actually, Joel, it was only the penalties. The other things could have been better, but the penalties absolutely killed them.

That fumble by DT was brutal....worst possible time.

LawDog
10-19-2016, 11:27 AM
That fumble by DT was brutal....worst possible time.

Agreed. But a penalty actually took 6 points off the board.

NightTrainLayne
10-19-2016, 01:02 PM
We get 'em again in two weeks. Kubiak will coach the guys up.