PDA

View Full Version : The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Week 6. Will the real Denver Broncos please stand up?

BroncoWave
10-13-2016, 10:42 PM
It appears the clock might have stuck midnight on our magical stretch over the last season plus. The weaknesses of our team our really starting to get exposed. Are these the real Broncos, or is it the team we saw in the first 4 weeks? We have a week and a half to get ready for a weak Houston game. It's early in the year, but I would classify that one as a must-win.

The Good:

The uniforms. Seeing the D back on the helmet was sick. That's about it.

Booker was good too I guess.

The Bad:

Pretty much everything. Coaching, Siemian sucked, we couldn't block or run the ball, we couldn't stop San Diego (though I will give the D credit for a much improved second half), and our special teams were bad in every phase, save the two lucky muffs.

The Ugly:

Holding penalties. Our entire o-line can go straight to hell for that pathetic display tonight.

Our defense against passes to the RB. Basically a free 10-15 yards every time.

Not much else to say about this one.

chazoe60
10-13-2016, 10:48 PM
Von Miller was a beast tonight. He belongs in the good list.

Bronco4ever
10-13-2016, 10:49 PM
We did a good job of recovering special teams kickoffs/muffed punts/onside kicks.

BroncoWave
Von Miller was a beast tonight. He belongs in the good list.

To be honest I wrote most of this at halftime so didn't add much in the second half. I will agree though that the D stepped up big time in the second half.

NightTerror218
DT has 2 fumbles niw thus season. Bug fumbles.

Sanders is injured after geted laid out in middle if field and folded up like a chair.

Sunshine had his shot in game and fumbled.

Refs and the muffed punt miss call that stole a td recovery.

I Eat Staples
This is what I think about the O-Line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDJJZ6Iu-0Q

chazoe60
10-13-2016, 10:50 PM
DT has 2 fumbles niw thus season. Bug fumbles.

Sanders is injured after geted laid out in middle if field and folded up like a chair.

Sunshine had his shot in game and fumbled.

Put down the bottle and back away from the keyboard.

BroncoJoe
10-13-2016, 10:51 PM
The good: helmets and uniforms

The bad: the onslaught of posts from Joel.

DenBronx
10-13-2016, 10:55 PM
You guys just don't know how bad it is living in the Bay and having alot of raider friends/family. Work is going to suck tomorrow. Even though the chargers win raider fans will still yap the loudest.

CrazyHorse
10-13-2016, 11:01 PM
Good: Defense. If it wasn't for this we get blown out.
Bad: Offense.
Ugly: Lack of discipline. Turnovers and penalties.

wayninja
10-13-2016, 11:08 PM
The defense was again fine without being world beaters. They've now held the 2 top scoring offenses in the league to their all time lows (and there was a safety, that's not on them). That's about all you can reasonably hope for. Anything else is a gift. So they get credit for doing their jobs.

The offense was beyond putrid. This must be what it was like for people who didn't like watching Tebow, and I don't like it. At least with Tebow, he could lower his shoulder and make LB's cringe. Siemian was worse than a wounded duck out there. The O-line takes a ton of that blame. I mean, that was the worst O-line performance I've seen since our playoff loss to NE in 2012. Somehow it was worse than last week and that was bad!

I know Kubiak is hurt, but you would think that would fire guys up. It seemed to have the exact opposite effect. The came out like they were shaking off roofies.

All around on offense it was ugly. We need to do way more with playcalling to hid the deficiencies in our o line. I'm not sure if that means screens or trick plays or what, but we can't be vanilla with what we have, it's getting shut down in a major way.

MOtorboat
10-13-2016, 11:22 PM
Good: Not much of anything. Defense played pretty OK, I guess.

Bad: Everything else.

NightTerror218
10-13-2016, 11:24 PM
Defense kept us in game. Only gave up fgs except opening drive. For the offense with 2 fumbles, lots of 3 and outs. And basically on field entire 1st half.

They were over worked.

Joel
10-14-2016, 12:18 AM
The good: helmets and uniforms

The bad: the onslaught of posts from Joel.
What needs to be said? Our line's not just bad, it's SO bad even homers can't deny the evidence of their own eyes anymore.

Anyway, it's a work night, so I saw none of it, and had to settle for hearing about it from the Raiders fan giving me periodic updates. Yea.

dogfish
10-14-2016, 12:24 AM
Put down the bottle and back away from the keyboard.

that was high quality typing by NT's standards, camera boy!

Tned
10-14-2016, 02:11 AM
Defense was solid after their giving up their now infamous early first quarter long TD drive.

Offensive line was really bad between false starts and holding penalties, and when they didn't get called on penalties, they were allowing pressure impacting the passing game.

They have 10 days to get some things figured out and turn things around, because they need to play better if they hope to win the division (which is appearing to be a more immediate concern that getting home field).

VonDoom
10-14-2016, 06:26 AM

That wouldn't have been a TD regardless - it was a muff, SD never had possession and that can't be advanced. If called correctly on the field, we would have gotten the ball exactly where we ended up getting it.

VonDoom
10-14-2016, 06:35 AM
The good - I like the way Booker runs, with violence. He stood out among out brutal offense.

The middle - CJ Anderson's stats are terrible for this game, so I'd be tempted to put him in the bad category, but three of his best plays were called back by penalties, including that amazing TD that might have altered the course of the game. Also, the defense. For the last three quarters, they looked incredible. The first quarter and a half, they were piss poor. The offense had one stalled drive in between 17 minutes on the field. That isn't on the offense - they couldn't get off the field and once again fell behind early. Every single team has scored on either their first or second possession against us. Face it - we're just not as good as we were last year. But bouncing back from that and keeping us in it once again keeps them away from the bad column.

The bad - pretty much everything else. Siemian was awful - whether he's not 100% recovered or teams have just plain figured him out (I heard he went 1 for 9 on passes traveling 10 yards - not good enough by far), he wasn't getting it done. The fumbles. The missed FG. The bringing the ball out of the end zone and getting stopped before the 25 every single time.

The offensive line gets its own category. Absolutely awful tonight. Five guys off the street could do better than that. I assumed we'd be better with Stephenson back, but he was pretty bad out there. Okung, who generally has been good, cost us basically nine points on his own (the safety in the end zone and the holding penalty on CJ's TD).

Let's be brutally honest for a second - we're just not that great anymore. Terrible? No, but I think the magic is gone, as Wave pointed out. It will be a struggle to make the playoffs this year. The defense isn't at the all world level it was last year (though I didn't really expect it to be). And the offense is lost. Remember that for as bad as we were last year, our offense usually found a way to make a play or two to win the game (think the Ronnie Hillman run against the Vikings, the long TD to Sanders against the Browns, the tying TD drive at the Chiefs before Roby's fumble return, etc). Our 4-0 start pushed expectations way too high. The teams we've beaten (apparently) aren't that good. If you had said to me before the year that we'd be 4-2 with Siemian struggling and Lynch not ready, I probably would have taken it. But the way it's gone down has just led to sadness.

MasterShake
10-14-2016, 07:41 AM
The Good:

Special Teams for the most part
The Defense in the second half

The Bad:
The offensive line sucks. So much. Our lack of running game leads to a lack of offense overall. They also had their share of drive killing penalties including one that resulted in a safety.

Turnovers killed us once again.

This reminds me of the 2 game losing streak we had last season with Indianapolis and KC back to back (the famous eye poke and Manning benching games respectively) and the other 2 game skid we hit against the Raiders and the Steelers. This team is just not made to win with mistakes or missed opportunities.

The good news is we have 10 days to get right and get Kubiak back. If we lose to Houston then it might be time to be really concerned. Right now I'm mostly annoyed.

Lynch12
10-14-2016, 08:44 AM
Soooo is Trevor really hurt or he just can't throw far anymore?

Mike
10-14-2016, 08:47 AM
What has me most concerned is that the SD defense, like the ATL defense, were defenses that could be had. They are not good defensive teams and we couldn't get anything moving against either.

The offensive gameplan is just child-like bad. I know the o-line is really bad, but good coaching is supposed to mask deficiencies. The coaching and oline were as ugly as I have seen.

VonDoom
10-14-2016, 08:50 AM
After I calmed down, I pulled up some statistics on our offense, for the first six games this year and the first six last year. These are raw statistics so they don't tell the whole story, but considering our offense was supposed to be better this year, it's not looking like a big improvement:

2015 1st six games - 325.8 Total YPG, 240.8 passing, 85.0 rushing, 23.2 ppg, 10 INT, 2 fumbles (1 lost), 12 sacks allowed
2016 1st six games - 323.3 Total YPG, 224.8 passing, 98.5 rushing, 23.3 ppg, 4 INT, 7 fumbles (4 lost), 17 sacks allowed

EastCoastBronco
10-14-2016, 08:57 AM
The Good:

Booker and CJ both ran hard and looked good when they got into the open field.
That hit that Booker put on their safety when he lowered his shoulder reminded me of TD.

The defence played as well as they could have once they made their adjustments at halftime...which seems to be the norm.

The Bad:
The O-Line... Not sure what is going on with them because they seemed to be playing alright the first 4 games...

I was going to mention the DT fumble but upon further viewing I don't think Christ himself could have held onto that ball during that collision.

Lynch12
10-14-2016, 08:57 AM
If trevor is a rookie and lynch is a rookie then you have to go with upside and start planning on when to start lynch. Let him grow by fire, after we fire a couple offensive linemen.

Mike
10-14-2016, 09:00 AM
I said it last night and I will say it again...Dennison should be fired. He brings absolutely nothing to the table....besides maybe Elway's coffee.

Lynch12
10-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Definitely one of the worst play callers. But you have to wonder if our offensive line and Trevor bum shoulder limited alot.

BroncoWave
10-14-2016, 10:20 AM
One thing I've noticed people saying a lot is that if we don't make a few uncharacteristic mistakes, we likely win. On the flip side of that, the Chargers muffing 2 kicks led directly to 10 of our 13 points. So if not for the Chargers making those mistakes, we never even make the game close. IMO, we were lucky to lose by only 8, because it really wasn't even that close.

wayninja
10-14-2016, 10:23 AM
If trevor is a rookie and lynch is a rookie then you have to go with upside and start planning on when to start lynch. Let him grow by fire, after we fire a couple offensive linemen.

But trevor isn't a rookie.

Regardless, a healthy siemian so far has been better than a healthy lynch. The only consideration at this point should be health. Siemian clearly isn't healthy. So yeah, as long as that's true, Lynch should be in there.

Lynch12
10-14-2016, 11:25 AM
If he's hurt then why is he playing? Why risk prolonging the banged up shoulder this early in the season? The shoulder surely didnt get better by playing a game and taking more hits, with the extra time do we start lynch and truly let Trevor get healthy?

Buff
10-14-2016, 11:28 AM
I said it last night and I will say it again...Dennison should be fired. He brings absolutely nothing to the table....besides maybe Elway's coffee.

Based on what? Give us a specific critique.

I get annoyed with people playing fan police - but man, it seems like ya'll done gone crazy up in here.

underrated29
10-14-2016, 11:33 AM
One thing I've noticed people saying a lot is that if we don't make a few uncharacteristic mistakes, we likely win. On the flip side of that, the Chargers muffing 2 kicks led directly to 10 of our 13 points. So if not for the Chargers making those mistakes, we never even make the game close. IMO, we were lucky to lose by only 8, because it really wasn't even that close.

If not for the hold on Okung or the DT fumble we likely have 10-14 points....Then the game is never close as we win.

If if if if....

If you dad had tits hed be your mother.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-14-2016, 11:52 AM

True, but those are the characteristic mistakes that SD makes every game. We're just the first team that couldn't capitalize on them. That's what's so disturbing. We could've won this game. We shot ourselves in the foot more than SD stopped us. Drive killing penalties and 2 costly fumbles made all the difference.

VonDoom
10-14-2016, 11:56 AM
True, but those are the characteristic mistakes that SD makes every game. We're just the first team that couldn't capitalize on them. That's what's so disturbing. We could've won this game. We shot ourselves in the foot more than SD stopped us. Drive killing penalties and 2 costly fumbles made all the difference.

I keep going back to the holding penalty on that incredible CJ touchdown. That was the final straw in this game, IMO (combined with the DT fumble a few plays later, obviously). If they score there, it's 21-16 with 4:20 to go or so, and we have a chance to bring it within three points. Even if we miss, the defense was clamping down and we had all three timeouts. Could've really put the pressure on them.

Tned
10-14-2016, 12:06 PM
If he's hurt then why is he playing? Why risk prolonging the banged up shoulder this early in the season? The shoulder surely didnt get better by playing a game and taking more hits, with the extra time do we start lynch and truly let Trevor get healthy?

Because he still far outplayed Lynch.

BroncoWave
10-14-2016, 12:08 PM
If not for the hold on Okung or the DT fumble we likely have 10-14 points....Then the game is never close as we win.

If if if if....

If you dad had tits hed be your mother.

I'm not the one who started playing the if game. I'm just saying the Chargers had "ifs" just like we did, which at the end of the day cancel out and still leave us with the deserved result last night.

Mike
10-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Based on what? Give us a specific critique.

I get annoyed with people playing fan police - but man, it seems like ya'll done gone crazy up in here.

I admit that I am biased. Dennison has never done anything for the team going back as the coach to a shitty ST group back in the day. He has always been a part of the good ol boys and was protected by Shanahan's loyalty and then by Kubiaks.

As to the points, he is the offensive coordinator to one of the worst offenses in the league. There is no flow or rhythm to the offense. The plays are one dimensional and are easy for the defense to read and counteract. This isn't against good defenses. This is against Indy (30th ranked defense), SD (31st defense), Atlanta (26th defense), TB (21st). Granted we won two of those games, but only because the defense put us there.

The offense last night was as vanilla as it gets. No slants, 1 pitch, no rb screens, 1 wr screen (?), no quick drop passes. It looked like they were literally calling the same handful of plays every series despite it not working. We didn't get the TE involved at all until the end. The only times the oline might have been successful they were penalized. This offense doesn't have any sort of identity and doesn't look like it knows who they want to be. I lay that at the feet of the offensive coaches.

Without Wade Phillips this team would be a 4 win club.

BroncoWave
10-14-2016, 12:10 PM

I don't know, this isn't even close to the first time in the last two seasons we've committed bone headed costly penalties. It's just one of the first times it's cost us a game. We're lucky it hasn't cost us more games.

The Glue Factory
10-14-2016, 12:30 PM
The good:
Chargers and Chiefs are each 2 win teams.

The bad:
The Faiders are a 1 loss team and in command of the AFC West.
Our 15 road game win streak against division rivals is ended.

The Uuuuuugly:
Orange Footie Pajamas. Nuff said!
(Power Blue unis would have led to a win. Just sayin')

BroncoWave
10-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Thinking more about last night's game, the thing that irritates me the most (and it's been a trend this year) is throwing these little 4 and 5 yard routes on 3rd and 10. I get that Siemian is trying to be safe with the ball and not make any mistakes, but sometimes when you are in the second half of a game and trailing, you just have to take a chance and trust your WR down the field to make a play.

Buff
10-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Thinking more about last night's game, the thing that irritates me the most (and it's been a trend this year) is throwing these little 4 and 5 yard routes on 3rd and 10. I get that Siemian is trying to be safe with the ball and not make any mistakes, but sometimes when you are in the second half of a game and trailing, you just have to take a chance and trust your WR down the field to make a play.

There was one late in the 3rd quarter that especially irked me and I had the same thought. There is literally zero strategic gain to get 6 yards on 3rd and long - especially when you're trailing by 2 scores on the road. Try to force one at that point or throw a 50/50 ball up for grabs.

EastCoastBronco
10-14-2016, 01:37 PM

Most of the time last night he didn't have time to throw more than 5-6 yard passes.

#patchworkOLine

BroncoWave
10-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Most of the time last night he didn't have time to throw more than 5-6 yard passes.

#patchworkOLine

Granted he's young and this is more of a trait of veteran QBs, but he needs to get better at shifting in the pocket to buy himself that extra half second for guys to get open. I read on twitter today that he was only pressured on 13.2% of his dropbacks last night, so I think it's a bit overstated how little time he had to throw.

Valar Morghulis
10-14-2016, 01:45 PM
I really struggle with this "get lynch out there because he is the qbotf" attitude simply because of his draft position and the fact he is big, athletic and had a stong arm

Tebow had all of those things.

The other thing they both possess is a poor football iq, zero time in a professional offense, zero snaps under centre, a limited play book and a shit load of hype

Lunch has stupid facial hair also

Ride with Trevor.

BroncoWave
10-14-2016, 01:50 PM
I really struggle with this "get lynch out there because he is the qbotf" attitude simply because of his draft position and the fact he is big, athletic and had a stong arm

The other thing they both possess is a poor football iq, zero time in a professional offense, zero snaps under centre, a limited play book and a shit load of hype

Ride with Trevor.

I think most people were suggesting that if Trevor were still still hurt, which it's now being reported that he was, he shouldn't have played last night. He very obviously wasn't able to throw the ball down the field with any sort of accuracy at all. That's not to say he should lose his job altogether.

Valar Morghulis
10-14-2016, 01:52 PM
I think most people were suggesting that if Trevor were still still hurt, which it's now being reported that he was, he shouldn't have played last night. He very obviously wasn't able to throw the ball down the field with any sort of accuracy at all. That's not to say he should lose his job altogether.

Maybe they were, I maybe picked up wrong or have posted in the wrong thread

although I would still have rather went with Trevor than that pirate lookalike lay night. Injury or not

Traveler
10-14-2016, 01:52 PM
For those that remember, there was always this same issue with MS offensive lines post TD & Mike Anderson. Still continued somewhat under John Fox. Common denominator for all is the teams dismal record in drafting offensive linemen.

Although too late to make changes, Elway and company ought to be looking pretty hard at the scouts for the OL. 2nd issue, which was also one of Shanahan's problems, was believing they could "make do" with average OL talent. Why are they so reluctant to invest in blue chip OL talent? A mitigating factor could be where we selected in the draft since 2010.

This offseason, they had better use some of the many picks available and get some real help for the OL by moving up if necessary.

As for last nights game, didn't see much as I was recovering from minor back surgery. By the sound of things, I didn't miss much, but I will say this: Booker should be the starting RB by the beginning of November.

Northman
10-14-2016, 02:07 PM

Ride with Trevor.

You really dont like that kid do you? :lol:

Valar Morghulis
10-14-2016, 02:34 PM
You really dont like that kid do you? :lol:

Lol, I'm just playing with the ride with Trevor part but I am for real when I say that I don't get the hype surrounding lynch given how unprepared he was for the pros

I never liked ozweiler, for some reason I have the same gut feeling about lunch

But always remember I am still holding out for latimer to come good, so please disregard my football analysis immediately lmao

Tned
10-14-2016, 02:35 PM

#patchworkOLine

Yea. I can't believe this happened to me, but I'm more wiped by jet lag then I've ever been in my life. Fallilng asleep at a pub. We head back to the hotel and woke up a bit and since it was only 7:00, we decided one more pint in the hotel bar. I get there and they are replaying the game. Uggg.

Now, they displayed a condensed version, so some of it was missing, but in the parts they showed, more time than not, he didn't have time to hold onto the ball.

BroncoJoe
10-14-2016, 03:51 PM
For those that remember, there was always this same issue with MS offensive lines post TD & Mike Anderson. Still continued somewhat under John Fox. Common denominator for all is the teams dismal record in drafting offensive linemen.

Although too late to make changes, Elway and company ought to be looking pretty hard at the scouts for the OL. 2nd issue, which was also one of Shanahan's problems, was believing they could "make do" with average OL talent. Why are they so reluctant to invest in blue chip OL talent? A mitigating factor could be where we selected in the draft since 2010.

This offseason, they had better use some of the many picks available and get some real help for the OL by moving up if necessary.

As for last nights game, didn't see much as I was recovering from minor back surgery. By the sound of things, I didn't miss much, but I will say this: Booker should be the starting RB by the beginning of November.

Kind of difficult when you're consistently drafting in the lower 1/3 of the draft....

Tned
10-14-2016, 04:05 PM
Kind of difficult when you're consistently drafting in the lower 1/3 of the draft....

And choose to focus on building a stud defense, and then replacing the QB that bolted for Texas.

Two of their biggest free agent moves were to address the tackle positions. Maybe stop gaps, but there is only so many early draft picks and money to go around.

Now, the question, and it is valid with Traveler bringing up Mastershake's drafting (oh, or did he mean Shanahan?), is the philosophy that they can get small, athletic linemen late in drafts and make them into solid ZBS blockers. It may be that the experiment of a decade or two has shown it doesn't work.

BroncoTech
10-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Living in E Oakland I know exactly what you mean. If our team loved us they would not put us through this.

You guys just don't know how bad it is living in the Bay and having alot of raider friends/family. Work is going to suck tomorrow. Even though the chargers win raider fans will still yap the loudest.

WARHORSE
10-14-2016, 11:37 PM
Kubiak reacts to each holding call while watching the game at home......

ZDo1318fMqA

At 2:07 he reconsiders the gameplan.....

wayninja
10-15-2016, 01:10 AM
Because he still far outplayed Lynch.

Huh?

By the half he had 5 completed passes.

He didn't start really making any completions with regularity until around the 4th quarter when the chargers started playing prevent.

He couldn't even throw the ball in the end-zone on a play designed to put the ball in the end zone.

I'm fine with an argument about who sucked ass worse, but to say he "far outplayed" lynch in that game is laughable. Both games were embarrassing shit-shows.

Tned
10-15-2016, 02:36 AM
Huh?

By the half he had 5 completed passes.

He didn't start really making any completions with regularity until around the 4th quarter when the chargers started playing prevent.

He couldn't even throw the ball in the end-zone on a play designed to put the ball in the end zone.

I'm fine with an argument about who sucked ass worse, but to say he "far outplayed" lynch in that game is laughable. Both games were embarrassing shit-shows.

Didn't say Siemian was good, but he still looked like he belonged even if whole offense sucked.

Lynch was confused, scrambled in a panic, etc.

One had a bad game the other clearly showed he wasn't ready to be on NFL field.

wayninja
10-15-2016, 02:43 AM
Didn't say Siemian was good, but he still looked like he belonged even if whole offense sucked.

If both games was their complete resume, I'd be hard pressed to pick a winner or declare either of them ready for the NFL.

Watchthemiddle
10-15-2016, 02:52 AM

Yikes, agreeing with Tned.

Lynch had his chance AT HOME and couldn't get it done. The coaches and players wanted Sim against ATL, but he wasn't 100%. He wasn't 100% against SD, but Rico limited his hand until the 4th qtr. Lynch is the future, but he is not ready. Kubs didnt trust him against ATL, and that's why they came out running. In game 1, against Car, the first 6 plays were pass. Get Kubs and the rest of the team healthy and Brock and TX will be in for a world of hurt.

The good was special teams.

The bad was play calling through 3 qtrs....offense and defense

The ugly was the O-line.

Extra credit good is this semi-bye week and playing SD at home in 2 weeks.

Valar Morghulis
10-15-2016, 03:01 AM
Yikes, agreeing with Tned. Lynch had his chance AT HOME and couldn't get it done. The coaches and players wanted Sim against ATL, but he wasn't 100%. He wasn't 100% against SD, but Rico limited his hand until the 4th qtr. Lynch is the future, but he is not ready. Kubs didnt trust him against ATL, and that's why they came out running. In game 1, against Car, the first 6 plays were pass. Get Kubs and the rest of the team healthy and Brock and TX will be in for a world of hurt. The good was special teams. The bad was play calling through 3 qtrs....offense and defense The ugly was the O-line. Extra credit good is this semi-bye week and playing SD at home in 2 weeks.

This is a nice example of my point, why is lynch the future?

Not a troll post or an attempt to dis the guy, I just don't get it.

Watchthemiddle
10-15-2016, 03:05 AM
This is a nice example of my point, why is lynch the future?

Not a troll post or an attempt to dis the guy, I just don't get it.

*snarky voice * Because he was drafted in the 1st round, has an arm like Cutler, and played in a smaller school like Cutler..... *voice over

MOtorboat
10-15-2016, 03:14 AM

Siemian didn't look like he belonged at all. He was pathetic and wouldn't even attempt passes past 10 yards. He did not in any way belong on an NFL field Thursday. I hope it's because he was hurt - which presents its own problems as it is, either he was unwilling to tell the trainers and coaches he couldn't go, or they insisted, guessing it was the former. That Hail Mary attempt was about as pathetic as it gets; like Tebow pathetic. Even without it, it was a downright awful performance. Along with the rest of the offense. I saw nothing at all that was better than Lynch against Atlanta.

Valar Morghulis
10-15-2016, 03:18 AM
*snarky voice * Because he was drafted in the 1st round, has an arm like Cutler, and played in a smaller school like Cutler..... *voice over

I'm not sure whose point that supports. Unless of course the cutler reference was pure sarcasm

Blaine gabbert was drafted in the first round along with ponder, Tebow, locker and any other number of players that are no longer the future
I agree he was drafted to be the qbotf, but he was beaten out by trev, why not get behind the kid who won the job.... Regardless of draft position and stop plotting his demise

What they do in college is almost irrelevant look at Sanchez or Griffin ..... It is about what they do in the pros..... So far in the pros trev won a starting job and as a healthy starter, is 4-0, only 4-1 because he was rushed back because the qbotf was so bad

Watchthemiddle
10-15-2016, 03:23 AM
Siemian didn't look like he belonged at all. He was pathetic and wouldn't even attempt passes past 10 yards. He did not in any way belong on an NFL field Thursday. I hope it's because he was hurt - which presents its own problems as it is, either he was unwilling to tell the trainers and coaches he couldn't go, or they insisted, guessing it was the former. That Hail Mary attempt was about as pathetic as it gets; like Tebow pathetic. Even without it, it was a downright awful performance. Along with the rest of the offense. I saw nothing at all that was better than Lynch against Atlanta.

Do you understand what the SD Def was doing? DT got blasted early going across the middle. The next time he went across the middle he had alligator arms. Other than that attempt to Sanders, deep in the 1st half, nothing was open deep. He had to throw short because that's all he had. At least he recognized it and didn't turn the ball over or get sacked 6 times.

MOtorboat
10-15-2016, 03:25 AM
Do you understand what the SD Def was doing? DT got blasted early going across the middle. The next time he went across the middle he had alligator arms. Other than that attempt to Sanders, deep in the 1st half, nothing was open deep. He had to throw short because that's all he had. At least he recognized it and didn't turn the ball over or get sacked 6 times.

Quit making excuses. At some point, down two and three scores, you have to quit with the check down shit or you don't belong. No one is ever open in the NFL, but your job is to still get it to them.

You, by chance, see the pressure stat compared to Lynch against Atlanta?

Watchthemiddle
10-15-2016, 03:29 AM
I'm not sure whose point that supports. Unless of course the cutler reference was pure sarcasm

Blaine gabbert was drafted in the first round along with ponder, Tebow, locker and any other number of players that are no longer the future
I agree he was drafted to be the qbotf, but he was beaten out by trev, why not get behind the kid who won the job.... Regardless of draft position and stop plotting his demise

What they do in college is almost irrelevant look at Sanchez or Griffin ..... It is about what they do in the pros..... So far in the pros trev won a starting job and as a healthy starter, is 4-0, only 4-1 because he was rushed back because the qbotf was so bad

I'm agreeing with you, and being that you've only been around since 2014, you don know me or my way of posting. I took time off after Cutler was traded, Tebow was signed, and the Manning years. I got bored. But now there is a new qb controversy so I'm back.��

Watchthemiddle
10-15-2016, 03:33 AM
Quit making excuses. At some point, down two and three scores, you have to quit with the check down shit or you don't belong. No one is ever open in the NFL, but your job is to still get it to them.

You, by chance, see the pressure stat compared to Lynch against Atlanta?

They were down 7 before they even got on the field. Then got look at their 3 and out play calls before they punted an SD took up over 10 minutes of time. No excuses, but it's hard to get in a rythym on offense, after being out for 1 1/2 games when you run 3 plays in the first qtr

Valar Morghulis
10-15-2016, 03:36 AM
I'm agreeing with you, and being that you've only been around since 2014, you don know me or my way of posting. I took time off after Cutler was traded, Tebow was signed, and the Manning years. I got bored. But now there is a new qb controversy so I'm back.��

Ah gotcha, I couldn't tell if the snarky voice bit was a dig at me or sarcasm.

Nice to virtually meet you dude!

MOtorboat
10-15-2016, 03:37 AM
They were down 7 before they even got on the field. Then got look at their 3 and out play calls before they punted an SD took up over 10 minutes of time. No excuses, but it's hard to get in a rythym on offense, after being out for 1 1/2 games when you run 3 plays in the first qtr

Right. So the check downs and the unwillingness to even throw to the sticks was worse than normal because San Diego scored on the first possession.

I'm willing to entertain that he was hurt, even with the other logical problems that creates. What I'm not willing to do is couch his performance if he was healthy like we were led to believe. It was bad and on par with Lynch against Atlanta.

Watchthemiddle
10-15-2016, 03:48 AM
Right. So the check downs and the unwillingness to even throw to the sticks was worse than normal because San Diego scored on the first possession.

I'm willing to entertain that he was hurt, even with the other logical problems that creates. What I'm not willing to do is couch his performance if he was healthy like we were led to believe. It was bad and on par with Lynch against Atlanta.

It was bad and look at the routes he had to throw to. Phillis didn't throw deep either. Crossing and rub patterns....their D had 2 deep safeties, our D had ward covering a TE 6 inches taller than him. Phillis didn't air it out deep, he jus had better targets. SD shut off our moderate to deep game and made him throw underneath. As an offensive coaching staff, I hope they get it fixed. If not, all other teams will take away the Depp ball like ATL an SD did after watching what happens when you gI've our guys 1on1 coverage like Cincy did.

Lynch12
10-15-2016, 10:05 AM

Agreed.

wayninja
10-15-2016, 01:09 PM
I don't give a **** about draft position or who won in training camp. All I care about is winning in the regular season and I don't give a **** who does that.

Right now, neither guy looks like he can get the job done, excuses or not. Hopefully one heals up and hopefully the other learns from mistakes.

But if Siemian is hurt, and incapable of throwing like he was on Thursday, Lynch is the better option right now. That makes no guarantees about the future or condemns one to failure. We simply need a QB who can throw the ball at this point.

spikerman
10-15-2016, 01:24 PM
The team also needs to stop coaching and/or playing scared. Sometimes you have to be willing to take risks and stretch the field.

BroncoWave
10-15-2016, 01:31 PM
The team also needs to stop coaching and/or playing scared. Sometimes you have to be willing to take risks and stretch the field.

Absolutely. There is a reason teams have been letting us beat them 5 yards at a time in the 4th quarters the last two games. You can't come back from multiple scores quickly that way.

Eventually, you just have to throw it down the field and trust one of your pro bowl receivers to make a play. Maybe it'll get picked off, but you aren't going to win playing it safe when trailing late in the game.

NightTerror218
10-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Lynch may have looked a little more lost but it was hit first start ffs. How people forget this. Siemian had gitters firat game too but offensive li e played good.

Thursday line played bad and siemian looked just as bad as lynch with they running in circles.

Northman
10-15-2016, 01:51 PM
Lynch may have looked a little more lost but it was hit first start ffs. How people forget this. Siemian had gitters firat game too but offensive li e played good.

Thursday line played bad and siemian looked just as bad as lynch with they running in circles.

I agree. We have to make sure to take whatever we see with these guys with a grain of salt win or lose.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-15-2016, 03:04 PM

It's hard to take shots when qb has a separated shoulder and the other one has a hard time reading defenses.

MOtorboat
10-15-2016, 03:07 PM
It's hard to take shots when qb has a separated shoulder and the other one has a hard time reading defenses.

If one is hurt and can't throw it more than 10 yards, he should not in any way be in the game.

Tned
10-15-2016, 03:21 PM
If both games was their complete resume, I'd be hard pressed to pick a winner or declare either of them ready for the NFL.

If all you do is look at the stat line, then fine. If you watch how they actually played in the pocket; reacted to the rush; dealt with broken plays; etc, then there is no way you can claim that even from Siemian's worst game, which was SD.

Tned
10-15-2016, 03:25 PM
If one is hurt and can't throw it more than 10 yards, he should not in any way be in the game.

As the head coach says, he's take the throws that are open. I know fans like to see QBs chuck it and pray, and then bash then for throwing INTs, but apparently the NFL coaches don't actually think it's a good think when QBs throw it downfield to double and triple covered guys,just because, well "that's what NFL QBs do."

MOtorboat
10-15-2016, 03:37 PM
As the head coach says, he's take the throws that are open. I know fans like to see QBs chuck it and pray, and then bash then for throwing INTs, but apparently the NFL coaches don't actually think it's a good think when QBs throw it downfield to double and triple covered guys,just because, well "that's what NFL QBs do."

Down two scores, the five yard pass on third and 12 doesn't do anything. Might as well run a draw. Either he's not willing to even try, and I don't care about interceptions especially in that situation, or he's hurt and can't. Neither is good.

BroncoWave
10-15-2016, 03:47 PM
Down two scores, the five yard pass on third and 12 doesn't do anything. Might as well run a draw. Either he's not willing to even try, and I don't care about interceptions especially in that situation, or he's hurt and can't. Neither is good.

Yep, pretty much. When you are trailing by multiple scores in the 4th quarter, you need high variance plays to get you back in it. Throwing it down the field increases the variance. Sure you might throw picks, but it's also the only realistic way to get back into the game. Like you said, the 5 yard pass on 3rd and 12 accomplishes nothing. Each of the last two weeks teams have been happy to let us dink and dunk our way down the field in the 4th quarter and let the clock bleed out.

Tned
10-15-2016, 03:52 PM

Well, in the UK, they have my Gamepass shut off (not going to pay the UK subscription as I'm heading home tomorrow) and it's too hard to fast forward around via sling box. So, without seeing the 3rd and 12 on the all 22 view, I can't say whether checking down was a good or bad thing. Throwing it short and hoping a recevier breaks the tackle could be the best play, depending on the state of the other routes.

Can you post a screen grab of the all 22 view of that play right before he makes the 5 yard pass?

MOtorboat
10-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Well, in the UK, they have my Gamepass shut off (not going to pay the UK subscription as I'm heading home tomorrow) and it's too hard to fast forward around via sling box. So, without seeing the 3rd and 12 on the all 22 view, I can't say whether checking down was a good or bad thing. Throwing it short and hoping a recevier breaks the tackle could be the best play, depending on the state of the other routes.

Can you post a screen grab of the all 22 view of that play right before he makes the 5 yard pass?

Looking for excuses?

Tned
10-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Looking for excuses?

Seriously? Are you just trying to be nasty or something?

I'm looking to understand if it was or wasn't a bad decision. How can you call it a bad decision if you haven't broken down the play? :confused:

MOtorboat
10-15-2016, 04:02 PM
Seriously? Are you just trying to be nasty or something?

I'm looking to understand if it was or wasn't a bad decision. How can you call it a bad decision if you haven't broken down the play? :confused:

I watched the game. I know the situations. He wasn't even attempting to throw the ball down the field in any situation. I don't know what else you want said?

Tned
10-15-2016, 04:04 PM
I watched the game. I know the situations. He wasn't even attempting to throw the ball down the field in any situation. I don't know what else you want said?

I watched it as well, twice.

As to what I want. With you, nothing. When you want to have a real discussion based on facts rather than emotion, rather than being belligerent, look me up.

Valar Morghulis
10-15-2016, 04:33 PM
Well, in the UK, they have my Gamepass shut off (not going to pay the UK subscription as I'm heading home tomorrow) and it's too hard to fast forward around via sling box. So, without seeing the 3rd and 12 on the all 22 view, I can't say whether checking down was a good or bad thing. Throwing it short and hoping a recevier breaks the tackle could be the best play, depending on the state of the other routes. Can you post a screen grab of the all 22 view of that play right before he makes the 5 yard pass?

Do you want my log in?

Tned
10-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Do you want my log in?

Thanks. Earlier I would have taken you up no that, but just about to hit the sack. Have to pack and catch a car to Heathrow in the morning. If nothing blows up at work on Monday, will probably take the day off (won't get home until about 2300 tomorrow night) and rewatch the pitiful game then.

Northman
10-15-2016, 04:39 PM
Siemien stated that he felt he threw the ball too soon and that was why it fell short. Whether or not that is true is anyone's guess.

Valar Morghulis
10-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Thanks. Earlier I would have taken you up no that, but just about to hit the sack. Have to pack and catch a car to Heathrow in the morning. If nothing blows up at work on Monday, will probably take the day off (won't get home until about 2300 tomorrow night) and rewatch the pitiful game then.

Well next time you're over let me know and I will send you me details, it will be especially convenient if the Broncos are not our nationally televised game

spikerman
10-15-2016, 04:49 PM
Siemien stated that he felt he threw the ball too soon and that was why it fell short. Whether or not that is true is anyone's guess.

I don't understand what that means. Does he mean if he had waited he would have run closer to the goal line before he threw it? I don't know where the problem lies, but there is something very very wrong in the state of Denver (with the offense anyway).

MOtorboat
10-15-2016, 04:50 PM
Just some examples, there's probably more. Orange circles, not where he threw, blue circles where he threw.

2nd and 14, after the muffed punt:

Tight windows, but there are two better options than the dump off to Thomas. In this case, the receiver down to the left would even be a better dump off option because he's 1-on-1 with a defender to the endzone. Thomas is triple covered. That's a tight window at the top of the screen, but he's open.

3rd and 10, second quarter

First read is the receiver up the sideline, according to where his head goes (obviously, none of us know his progressions). He has time, stick with the route, it's one on one at this point and turns out they're playing soft zones, and...

He comes open up the sideline.

1st and 10, third quarter

Sanders is open. Throw the damn ball.

3rd and 10, third quarter

At this point the linebackers are just letting receivers go, as you can see at the top of the screen, but he is bracketed. One on one coverage at the bottom. This is third and 10, down 19-3 in the third quarter. Take the chance.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-15-2016, 04:52 PM

They must not have a lot of confidence in the back ups.

BroncoWave
10-15-2016, 05:13 PM
Great post Mo. Wonder if that will be enough for him. :lol:

wayninja
10-15-2016, 05:58 PM
If all you do is look at the stat line, then fine. If you watch how they actually played in the pocket; reacted to the rush; dealt with broken plays; etc, then there is no way you can claim that even from Siemian's worst game, which was SD.

Siemian has more experience and it showed. He also had almost 0 ability to extend plays. The thing that really stood out is the sharp contrast in accuracy from Siemian. It was horrendous this game. And that's not coming from a stat line.

I'm willing to accept that he's hurt, but I also think he should not have been playing hurt that bad. Because it really looked like he was playing hurt badly.

I did watch both games, Tned.

BroncoWave
10-15-2016, 06:33 PM
Siemian has more experience and it showed. He also had almost 0 ability to extend plays. The thing that really stood out is the sharp contrast in accuracy from Siemian. It was horrendous this game. And that's not coming from a stat line.

I'm willing to accept that he's hurt, but I also think he should not have been playing hurt that bad. Because it really looked like he was playing hurt badly.

But where is your proof of that from your extensive film study?

wayninja
10-15-2016, 06:47 PM

You got me, I lied. It's too hard to get Broncos games broadcasts here in Denver.

BroncoWave
10-15-2016, 07:04 PM
You got me, I lied. It's too hard to get Broncos games broadcasts here in Denver.

I knew it!!! :D

Northman
10-15-2016, 07:47 PM
I don't understand what that means. Does he mean if he had waited he would have run closer to the goal line before he threw it? I don't know where the problem lies, but there is something very very wrong in the state of Denver (with the offense anyway).

If i had to guess it sounds like he didnt set his feet when he threw it.

Tned
10-16-2016, 01:34 AM
Great post Mo. Wonder if that will be enough for him. :lol:

http://www.broncosforums.com/downloads/troll.jpg

Tned
10-16-2016, 01:38 AM

Agreed, accuracy wasn't good

Tned
10-16-2016, 01:39 AM

http://www.broncosforums.com/downloads/troll.jpg

Tned
10-16-2016, 03:37 AM
Gotta love a passive aggressive poster who proclaims to the world that he's putting you on ignore, only to then multiple times reply to someone else with "glad you quoted him or I wouldn't have seen his____ post" to further exclaim to the world that he has you on ignore.

Kind of seems the opposite of "ignoring" a person.

Then, a few days later when there is a post he agrees with he magically sees and quote responds to it when no one else had quoted. I guess a miracle of divine forum intervention allowed him to see a post of a poster he has on ignore.

Then said troll, err passive aggressive poster starts posting multiple flame baits to the guy he's ignoring via quoting others that have replied to the supposed ignored person.

The trolling, flame bait dance kind of reminds me of how a 10 year old girl will be mean to a boy she really likes.

Are you trying to hit on me wave? :confused: You aren't my type.

BroncoWave
10-16-2016, 10:05 AM
If i had to guess it sounds like he didnt set his feet when he threw it.

This is kind of another reason I would have liked to have had Lynch throw that pass. Even had the play broken down on him and he had to throw the ball without setting his feet, he still would have had more than enough arm strength to get it to the end zone. It seemed like Siemian would have needed perfect conditions to get it there.

Northman
10-16-2016, 10:08 AM
This is kind of another reason I would have liked to have had Lynch throw that pass. Even had the play broken down on him and he had to throw the ball without setting his feet, he still would have had more than enough arm strength to get it to the end zone. It seemed like Siemian would have needed perfect conditions to get it there.

It does kind of bother me that if Siemien was hurt that they still trotted him out there. I know Paxton didnt look fantastic against Atlanta but it was still just one game and if you are going to have a guy at 75% or whatever you might as well go with the guy who is functioning a lot healthier at that point. Even if we had lost with Lynch at the helm at least you allow more time for Siemien to heal.

VonDoom
10-16-2016, 10:39 AM
It does kind of bother me that if Siemien was hurt that they still trotted him out there. I know Paxton didnt look fantastic against Atlanta but it was still just one game and if you are going to have a guy at 75% or whatever you might as well go with the guy who is functioning a lot healthier at that point. Even if we had lost with Lynch at the helm at least you allow more time for Siemien to heal.

It didn't look like he injured himself further in this game, so with eleven days between games, hopefully he'll be good to go. I'll buy that he was injured for now but if he has another game like that, it might be that's who he is right now.

VonDoom
10-16-2016, 10:40 AM
Just some examples, there's probably more. Orange circles, not where he threw, blue circles where he threw.

2nd and 14, after the muffed punt:

Tight windows, but there are two better options than the dump off to Thomas. In this case, the receiver down to the left would even be a better dump off option because he's 1-on-1 with a defender to the endzone. Thomas is triple covered. That's a tight window at the top of the screen, but he's open.

3rd and 10, second quarter

First read is the receiver up the sideline, according to where his head goes (obviously, none of us know his progressions). He has time, stick with the route, it's one on one at this point and turns out they're playing soft zones, and...

He comes open up the sideline.

1st and 10, third quarter

Sanders is open. Throw the damn ball.

3rd and 10, third quarter

At this point the linebackers are just letting receivers go, as you can see at the top of the screen, but he is bracketed. One on one coverage at the bottom. This is third and 10, down 19-3 in the third quarter. Take the chance.

That first and ten where he passed up Sanders is especially rough

BroncoWave
10-16-2016, 10:46 AM
It didn't look like he injured himself further in this game, so with eleven days between games, hopefully he'll be good to go. I'll buy that he was injured for now but if he has another game like that, it might be that's who he is right now.

I think we are going to learn a whole lot about our team next Monday. At home, against a struggling Houston team that we should easily beat. If we can get back on track on this one, I'll be a little more willing to accept these last two games as a temporary hiccup. But if we drop this one too and the offense struggles again, then I think we'll just be facing the reality that we just aren't that good this year. And if Siemian struggles again, it will be time to start asking the question if we'd be better off just letting Lynch take his lumps now than waste this season on a QB who we probably aren't going to keep anyway. Like I said, I think this next game will tell us a whole lot.

Valar Morghulis
10-16-2016, 10:49 AM
I think we are going to learn a whole lot about our team next Monday. At home, against a struggling Houston team that we should easily beat. If we can get back on track on this one, I'll be a little more willing to accept these last two games as a temporary hiccup. But if we drop this one too and the offense struggles again, then I think we'll just be facing the reality that we just aren't that good this year. And if Siemian struggles again, it will be time to start asking the question if we'd be better off just letting Lynch take his lumps now than waste this season on a QB who we probably aren't going to keep anyway. Like I said, I think this next game will tell us a whole lot.

Trevor throws for 500 tds in an aerial power display. You then suck ma boaby

BroncoWave
10-16-2016, 10:50 AM
Trevor throws for 500 tds in an aerial power display. You then suck ma boaby

Suck your what?

BroncoJoe
10-16-2016, 10:56 AM
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-suck-my-boaby-1.png

Northman
10-16-2016, 10:59 AM

Well hard to say. If the injury is worse than what we are being told than he should just be on the bench for the time being. In the earlier games he looked fine to me so if he sucks going forward i would have to believe that the injury is more serious than reported. But if he is injured than Lynch should be starting regardless of how raw he is.

Valar Morghulis
10-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Suck your what?

http://boaby.urbanup.com/79223

BroncoWave
10-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Dave, I love it when you talk dirty English English to me.

Valar Morghulis
10-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Dave, I love it when you talk dirty English English to me.

That was colloquial Scottish, ya wee fud

MOtorboat
10-16-2016, 11:17 AM
Lol, Scottish.

Simple Jaded
10-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Only in Denver (or San Antonio) could a SB honeymoon last less than half a season.

Northman
10-16-2016, 06:06 PM
Only in Denver (or San Antonio) could a SB honeymoon last less than half a season.

I dont know what you are talking about. Im still celebrating.

spikerman
10-16-2016, 06:15 PM

This makes me laugh. Just like most of your opinions. Well done.

Simple Jaded
10-16-2016, 07:12 PM
This makes me laugh. Just like most of your opinions. Well done.

Aw, what's wrong? Kicking dirt on Kubiak's grave wearing ya down?

spikerman
10-16-2016, 07:16 PM
Aw, what's wrong? Kicking dirt on Kubiak's grave wearing ya down?

If you could show me where I've done that, or if I had any respect for you, this might affect me. Haha.

Simple Jaded
10-16-2016, 08:08 PM
... or if I had any respect for you, this might affect me. Haha.

I don't think this matters as much as you think it does.

spikerman
10-16-2016, 08:13 PM
I don't think this matters as much as you think it does.
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/604885-The-Good-the-Bad-and-the-Ugly-Week-6-Will-the-real-Denver-Broncos-please-stand-up?p=2541406#post2541406