PDA

View Full Version : Practice/press conference notes - week 5 (Falcons week)

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Broncos Talib ready to face 'the best' in surging Atlanta Falcons' receiver Julio Jones

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/broncos-talib-ready-to-face-the-best-in-surging-atlanta-falcons-receiver-julio-jones

Broncos coach Kubiak says Siemian the starter, plans for him to be available Sunday

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/broncos-coach-kubiak-plans-for-trevor-siemian-to-be-there-sunday-vs-atlanta-falcons

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3h

No QB controversy. #Broncos Kubiak made clear Siemian the starter, if healthy. Lynch played well in spot duty. @DenverChannel

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3h

#Broncos Talib on facing #Falcons Ryan and Jones "You get fired up to face the best and they are the best right now" @DenverChannel

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2016, 05:45 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4h

#Broncos Players of the Week: Defense: Wolfe, Talib
Offense: Okung, Thomas
Special teams: Dekoda Watson. @DenverChannel

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4h

#Broncos Kubiak said Green and Stephenson are close to returning. Hopeful of playing Sunday. @DenverChannel

TXBRONC
10-03-2016, 06:42 PM
We could sure those two back in the starting line up, especially Stephenson.

VonDoom
10-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 13m13 minutes ago

#Falcons QB Matt Ryan against the blitz this season: 25-of-32, 402 yards, 78.1 completion %, 5 TDs, 0 INTs, 158.3 passer rating.

TXBRONC
10-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 13m13 minutes ago

#Falcons QB Matt Ryan against the blitz this season: 25-of-32, 402 yards, 78.1 completion %, 5 TDs, 0 INTs, 158.3 passer rating.

Denver doesn't do a lot of blitzing.

CoachChaz
10-04-2016, 01:34 PM

Not to mention...is anyone afraid of N.O./T.B./OAK/CAR pass rush this year?

WARHORSE
10-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Ask Brady how fast this rush is......oh...actually he doesnt know. This is a very deep group. Ray is getting up field like Von and Demarcus. Still has to work on technique and gap responsibilities....but the man is coming along even with that KC tramp stamp above his rear.

With the crowd noise, they will have to go to a silent count.........uh, oh.

Ryan doesnt respond well to getting his teeth pushed in. He'll throw you the ball.

Davii
10-04-2016, 02:30 PM

Especially not if you ask Wade!

Bronco4ever
10-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Ask Brady how fast this rush is......oh...actually he doesnt know. This is a very deep group. Ray is getting up field like Von and Demarcus. Still has to work on technique and gap responsibilities....but the man is coming along even with that KC tramp stamp above his rear.

With the crowd noise, they will have to go to a silent count.........uh, oh.

Ryan doesnt respond well to getting his teeth pushed in. He'll throw you the ball.

This guy loves contact
https://res.cloudinary.com/cmgverticals/image/upload/f_auto,q_80/h_196,w_400/v1474947102/ryan_ww6ejw.gif

tripp
10-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Sam Monson ‏@PFF_Sam 2h2 hours ago
QBs throwing at Aqib Talib in 2016 have a passer rating of 22.9, more than 15 points worse than just throwing the ball away every snap

MOtorboat
10-04-2016, 06:40 PM
QBs throwing at Aqib Talib in 2016 have a passer rating of 22.9, more than 15 points worse than just throwing the ball away every snap

Lol.

Joel
10-05-2016, 04:01 AM
This guy loves contact
https://res.cloudinary.com/cmgverticals/image/upload/f_auto,q_80/h_196,w_400/v1474947102/ryan_ww6ejw.gif
That's a little unfair: Not only was Ryan in his runners way until he moved, when the runner cut upfield the DT would've had a clear path to take the angle if Ryan hadn't flopped in his way. I don't think it's nearly as simple as "Yeah, I'll help out with a blo—HOLYF--KTHATGUY'S300LBS!!!"

Joel
10-05-2016, 04:09 AM
What Madden is to the NFL, Pro Football Focus is to NFL statistics: Throwing it away every snap is a passer rating of 2.0833....

100(20Comp+Yds+80TDs-100Ints)​+50/24
24Atts

Since completions, yds, TDs and Ints are all 0 on throwaways, that's just 0+50/24=2.0833....

VonDoom
10-05-2016, 10:32 AM
TV maps are up - similar to last week that my market gets the network with the single game (Fox, in this case) in the late window. Plus, John Lynch in the broadcast booth for this one:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2016&wk=5

LawDog
10-05-2016, 10:38 AM
That's a little unfair: Not only was Ryan in his runners way until he moved, when the runner cut upfield the DT would've had a clear path to take the angle if Ryan hadn't flopped in his way. I don't think it's nearly as simple as "Yeah, I'll help out with a blo—HOLYF--KTHATGUY'S300LBS!!!"

Looks more like he stepped into wet concrete and his momentum carried him to the ground.

LawDog
10-05-2016, 10:38 AM
TV maps are up - similar to last week that my market gets the network with the single game (Fox, in this case) in the late window. Plus, John Lynch in the broadcast booth for this one:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2016&wk=5

Yet another week where the Ticket will pay off...

MOtorboat
10-05-2016, 10:41 AM
What Madden is to the NFL, Pro Football Focus is to NFL statistics: Throwing it away every snap is a passer rating of 2.0833....

24Atts

Since completions, yds, TDs and Ints are all 0 on throwaways, that's just 0+50/24=2.0833....

Lol. It hurts, doesn't it Joel?

VonDoom
10-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 45m45 minutes ago

Siemian at practice, but not throwing during the individual period. Green and Stephenson returned to practice today. Webster not practicing.

VonDoom
10-05-2016, 02:10 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 2m2 minutes ago

Trevor Siemian (L shoulder), Kayvon Webster (hammy) did not practice. Donald Stephenson and Virgil Green limited participants.

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 1m1 minute ago

Gary Kubiak said Trevor Siemian is doing better but he did not practice today. Expected him not to practice. Will see where he's at tomorrow

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 48s48 seconds ago

Kubiak said nothing has changed re: Aqib Talib. Has not heard anything more from NFL.

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 1m1 minute ago

"Paxton has improved the way he handles the huddle" Kubiak #Broncos @1043TheFan

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4s5 seconds ago

#Broncos Kubiak said willingly to make it a game-time decision on Siemian. "He's progressing well". @DenverChannel

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 3m3 minutes ago

Kubiak said Stephenson and Green both took a step toward playing Sunday. Stephenson did a little more than Green.

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 3m3 minutes ago

Kubiak re:Siemian: "We don't ever want to put anyone out there who can't do their job."

NightTrainLayne
10-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 45m45 minutes ago

Siemian at practice, but not throwing during the individual period. Green and Stephenson returned to practice today. Webster not practicing.

Great news that Stephenson is back at practice. More worried about him playing Sunday than Trevor.

VonDoom
10-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 25m25 minutes ago

#Broncos @ESanders_10 said team prepared for any QB to play. Said doesn't believe game plan will change if Lynch starts @DenverChannel

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 23m23 minutes ago

@ESanders_10 said he talks with Lynch about having fun. Reminding him still a game #Broncos @DenverChannel

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 15m15 minutes ago

#Broncos Kubiak was upset @ESanders_10 cartwheel when originally penalized. Flag was picked up. "He owes me an apology," he joked

VonDoom
10-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 9m9 minutes ago

Trevor Siemian says he feels better than yesterday and that he could play Sunday without practicing. "I'll be ready to go if we get there."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 8m8 minutes ago

Siemian says he's taking it a day at a time but is approaching it with the expectation he will start Sunday.

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 8m8 minutes ago

#Broncos Trevor Siemian "I think coach Knapp is doing a heckuva job with him (Lynch)" @1043TheFan

Joel
10-06-2016, 02:04 AM
Lol. It hurts, doesn't it Joel?
Bad math is excruciating, yes. It's not even complex math either. But: PFF, so what do you expect?

MOtorboat
10-06-2016, 02:13 AM
Bad math is excruciating, yes. It's not even complex math either. But: PFF, so what do you expect?

Obviously, I didn't mean PFF's math. I don't really care about that. But Talib is absolutely the best player on the defense right now. It's absurd you're still trying to claim you're right. You're not. And it's funny to watch you talk in circles.

Joel
10-06-2016, 02:28 AM
Obviously, I didn't mean PFF's math. I don't really care about that. But Talib is absolutely the best player on the defense right now.
Maybe, but citing grossly inaccurate "stats" doesn't prove (nor, to be fair, disprove) that claim. Personally, I'd still vote for the SB MVP, but each to his own.

MOtorboat
10-06-2016, 02:38 AM
Maybe, but citing grossly inaccurate "stats" doesn't prove (nor, to be fair, disprove) that claim. Personally, I'd still vote for the SB MVP, but each to his own.

Lol.

Davii
10-06-2016, 07:32 AM

Even if you vote for Von Aqib is easily the second best defender on the team and his value to the defense through four weeks has been very high. Certainly you can't deny that.... Well, you could, but you'd have to talk in circles and be dead wrong and unwilling/unable to admit it.

LawDog
10-06-2016, 10:58 AM

I don't think it was "grossly inaccurate" per se. The number they cited may have been wrong, but the concept of the point they were trying to make isn't. If you've got 10 passes v. 10 passes and the first set is 10 throwaways and the second is 8 incompletions and 2 Int's, the second set should end up with a lower score because of the negative point effect of the Int's (e.g. "-100Ints" in the formula).

VonDoom
10-06-2016, 01:25 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 28m28 minutes ago

#Broncos Virgil Green and Donald Stephenson practicing during open viewing period. @DenverChannel

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 30m30 minutes ago

#Broncos Siemian going through drill work. All things considered looks good on handoffs and in light throwing @DenverChannel

Hawgdriver
10-06-2016, 01:58 PM

24Atts

it's 39.58

VonDoom
10-06-2016, 02:25 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1m1 minute ago

#Broncos Kubiak said Siemian, Green, Stephenson and DT limited in practice. @DenverChannel

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 48s48 seconds ago

Kubiak: Siemian took some 7-on-7 reps and had some individual work. "He threw ... It was a step forward." Liked what he saw from Siemian.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 51s51 seconds ago

DT had limited work because of a sore hip, Kubiak said.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 32s33 seconds ago

Kubiak: "Trevor threw the ball fine...You can tell the rotation (of the torso with a shoulder injury) is something he's got to get used to"

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 15s15 seconds ago

Kubiak: Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan "has got a new identity every year" with the offense he runs.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 2m2 minutes ago

Kubiak: Virgil Green "had a good day today." Jeff Heuerman was limited today because of a sore groin that set in during Wed. practice.

Kubiak "I'm dealing with a young QB [Paxton] and I have to give him [as many reps as possible] the work" #Broncos @1043TheFan

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1m1 minute ago

Kubiak said he has Lynch work with a 25-second play clock during practice to help him in getting the playcall & get to the line quickly.

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 2m2 minutes ago

Kubiak "I've got confidence in both of them, the team has confidence in both of them (QBs)" #Broncos @1043TheFan

Kubiak, on the running game: "We've been missing Virgil (Green) & Donald (Stephenson). That is not an excuse. We've got to do it better."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 53s54 seconds ago

Kukiak: "@Derek_Wolfe95 has been the same player since I got here. He's really become a pro. ... Guys look up to him. Really proud of him."

VonDoom
10-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 3m3 minutes ago

OC Rick Dennison: Siemian "looked fine" ... He "only had a few throws" today.

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 3m3 minutes ago

Dennison "Paxton did a good job with urgency, in and out of the huddle" #Broncos @1043TheFan

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 3m3 minutes ago

Dennison said that Lynch "obviously" studied the playbook & how to get the play call conveyed faster during June/July time off.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos OC Dennison on run game issues: "It's technique. Hat placement. Footwork. We did a good job first week and have slipped a bit"

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 27s28 seconds ago

Joe DeCamillis said Riley Dixon has shown "steady improvement" ... Last week at TB was his most effective game, DeCamillis said.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 2m2 minutes ago

DeCamillis: It will be a "collective effort" to replace @kayvonwebster if the hamstring injury keeps him out on Sunday.

Dekoda Watson played probably his best game Sunday, DeCamillis said.

VonDoom
10-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m3 minutes ago

#Broncos Stephenson practiced but unlikely he plays. Part of issue with he and Green is that they want them available for #Chargers

Hawgdriver
10-06-2016, 03:14 PM

Sigworthy, if not so pedantic, because you are the one with bad math.

VonDoom
10-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 19m19 minutes ago

#Broncos DC Wade Phillips on #Falcons: "We've played a lot of good offenses, but I think this might be the best one we've played."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 18m18 minutes ago

@Broncos @sonofbum on how guard Julio Jones "Triple him every play." He was joking.. I think.. @DenverChannel

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 14m14 minutes ago

#Broncos Wade Phillips said they count on their guys to win one on one battles. Said DBs played "tremendous" vs. #Buccaneers @DenverChannel

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 14m14 minutes ago

Wade Phillips: ATL RB Freeman "is outstanding ... He makes something out of nothing sometimes."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 13m13 minutes ago

#Broncos Phillips encouraged by improvement with run defense "2.8 yards per rush is where we want to be." @DenverChannel

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 12m12 minutes ago

Wade Phillips on Broncos' defense: "They're not only talented, but they're smart players and (Aqib) Talib is one of the best out there."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 12m12 minutes ago

#Broncos Phillips said secondary full of "smart players.. ..They study so much. They know the receivers, know the tendencies" @DenverChannel

NightTrainLayne
10-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m3 minutes ago

#Broncos Stephenson practiced but unlikely he plays. Part of issue with he and Green is that they want them available for #Chargers

Damn it!

TXBRONC
10-06-2016, 05:55 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 12m12 minutes ago

Wade Phillips on Broncos' defense: "They're not only talented, but they're smart players and (Aqib) Talib is one of the best out there."

Interesting.

Joel
10-07-2016, 01:02 AM
Interesting.
Wade HAS to say that: Talib knows where he lives.... :eek:

Simple Jaded
10-07-2016, 01:35 AM

24Atts

Aqib Talib > Football Outsiders.

Simple Jaded
10-07-2016, 02:05 AM
Heuerman injured again, lmao.

VonDoom
10-07-2016, 06:42 AM
Heuerman injured again, lmao.

I saw that too. Jeff IRman indeed.

tripp
10-07-2016, 09:35 AM
No Stephenson, no run game basically?

Can't believe Tevin Coleman is playing in Denver considering he has sickle cell. Game is dangerous enough, don't risk it, not even saying that either because he is an explosive RB for the Falcons.

VonDoom
10-07-2016, 12:15 PM
Falcons rookie linebacker Deion Jones had an eventful first four games in the NFL.

The New Orleans native returned an interception for a touchdown at the Superdome in a Monday night win over the Saints, was honored as the NFL’s top defensive rookie for September and delivered the hit that left Panthers quarterback Cam Newton with a concussion last Sunday. Newton may miss Week Five as a result, something he would have in common with Jones.

Jones has been ruled out for Sunday’s game against the Broncos due to an ankle injury. Jones’ backup at middle linebacker Paul Worrilow has also been ruled out, which leaves LaRoy Reynolds to both start at middle linebacker and wear the radio helmet for the Atlanta defense.

De’Vondre Campbell rounds out the Falcons’ trio of linebackers who won’t play this Sunday. It’s the fourth straight game that Campbell will miss with an ankle injury. The Falcons also lost Sean Weatherspoon to a torn Achilles last weekend and added veteran A.J. Hawk to the linebacker mix this week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/07/falcons-rule-out-three-linebackers-for-sunday/

VonDoom
10-07-2016, 12:18 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 17m17 minutes ago

#Broncos Siemian throwing again today. Good sign @DenverChannel

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 9m9 minutes ago

Siemian looks better today. Not favoring left arm as much. #Broncos. Can he protect himself when hit again? That is factor @DenverChannel

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 5m5 minutes ago

Jeff Heuerman was back on the practice field today. #Broncos TEs should thrive vs ATL D - expect Virgil Green back & starting @1043TheFan

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 2m2 minutes ago

Demaryius Thomas made it look easy at practice this morning. I'm not concerned about his hip. #Broncos @1043TheFan

I feel like the screen game should work well vs ATL. #Broncos RB and TE will be able to take advantage of banged up LB corps. @1043TheFan

BroncoWave
10-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Klis tweeted it still looks like Siemian is favoring his left shoulder a bit. At this point, it might be best to start Lynch, but have Siemian active if you need him. Maybe activate Davis too. With a Thursday game coming next week, it might be better to give Siemian that extra half week to heal then start him.

VonDoom
10-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Klis tweeted it still looks like Siemian is favoring his left shoulder a bit. At this point, it might be best to start Lynch, but have Siemian active if you need him. Maybe activate Davis too. With a Thursday game coming next week, it might be better to give Siemian that extra half week to heal then start him.

My gut feeling is that Lynch starts but Siemian is active, and then Siemian starts the Thursday game. A lot still up in the air, though.

BroncoJoe
10-07-2016, 01:33 PM

I forgot about that, and agree. Even if it's 80%, he should probably sit. Although the Falcons might be tougher than the Chargers (for starting Lynch for the first time).

Either way, I CAN'T WAIT to see our Thursday night uniforms.

#suckitMO
#allorangeforever

VonDoom
10-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 22m22 minutes ago

#Broncos list Trevor Siemian, Donald Stephenson, Virgil Green, Keo as questionable Sunday v. #Falcons. DeMarcus Ware, Kayvon Webster OUT.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 19m19 minutes ago

Kubiak said they'll see how Siemian looks tomorrow in walkthrough before deciding if he'll start.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 18m18 minutes ago Dove Valley, CO

Lorenzo Doss will play in place of Kayvon Webster #9sports

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 17m17 minutes ago

Kubiak said Stephenson and Green are in same boat as Siemian. Both in position to play, will be decision to make.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 2m2 minutes ago

Virgil Green wasn't sure if he'd be able to play on that calf Saturday. It's where his power comes from. Doesn't wanna make it worse.

slim
10-07-2016, 01:42 PM
If he can't play on Sunday, I doubt he will be ready on Thursday.

He probably doesn't want to give Lynch 2 starts though....that would be a bad career move.

tripp
10-07-2016, 02:12 PM

He probably doesn't want to give Lynch 2 starts though....that would be a bad career move.

I made a point similar to this in another thread. For the sake of the team, I don't want him playing if he is hurting. I can see why he wants to play, but 1 player is not above the rest of the team. I think/hope coaches will be monitoring him during the course of the game and make the right decision if they need to. Kubes needs to give him reassurance his starting role will not be in jeopardy if he sits this one out.

VonDoom
10-07-2016, 02:12 PM

I don't know, I think all three of those guys (Siemian, Green and Stephenson) are all close to being able to play. How close is the question. Like, if they don't play in two days, they could rest and rehab and then play in six days. I don't think it's out of the question.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-08-2016, 03:21 AM
One thing is for sure, I want Green back out there ASAP. Our running game has suffered without him.

Valar Morghulis
10-08-2016, 04:15 AM
One thing is for sure, I want Green back out there ASAP. Our running game has suffered without him.

It was the same in 2014.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-08-2016, 12:25 PM

Stephenson makes a huge difference too.

VonDoom
10-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Klis reports Lynch to start tomorrow

NightTrainLayne
10-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Stephenson makes a huge difference too.

Green and Stephenson are both important. But if I had to pick, Stephenson is more important to the run game.

TXBRONC
10-08-2016, 05:32 PM
Klis reports Lynch to start tomorrow

Here's a report on that entitled that Lynch will make his first start but from the article it was still up air with article was written.

Paxton Lynch earns first start for Broncos vs. Falcons

By Jeremy Bergman NFL.com
Published: Oct. 8, 2016 at 05:51 p.m. Updated: Oct. 8, 2016 at 06:16 p.m.

Dealing with an AC joint sprain in his left shoulder, Siemian was limited in practice Friday and was initially listed as questionable to play against the visiting Falcons. Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said on Friday that Siemian would take more snaps on Saturday to test out the injured shoulder, and would then evaluate the starting quarterback's availability for Sunday.

If he gets to start, wow.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000717247/article/paxton-lynch-earns-first-start-for-broncos-vs-falcons

VonDoom
10-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Here's a report on that entitled that Lynch will make his first start but from the article it was still up air with article was written.

It's been confirmed by Schefter and others. Siemian likely inactive, so Davis as backup

TXBRONC
10-08-2016, 09:46 PM
It's been confirmed by Schefter and others. Siemian likely inactive, so Davis as backup

I hope he does well.