PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else extremely concerned about that Falcons offense?

Broncoknight30
10-02-2016, 08:09 PM
So far so good this year, but man they are banging on all cylinders. Anticipating Shanahan, I am guessing they will try establish that run. The Broncos run defense, has not been all that to say the least.

I mean they boat raced, what was considered a pretty good defense in Carolina.

Quite a test. A little concerned about it.

VonDoom
10-02-2016, 08:11 PM
"Extremely"? No. I did point out that they're better than expected and it will be a fascinating match up next week. I'd be more concerned if it was in Atlanta. No Fly Zone better figure out a plan for Julio Jones for sure.

Broncoknight30
10-02-2016, 08:14 PM
"Extremely"? No. I did point out that they're better than expected and it will be a fascinating match up next week. I'd be more concerned if it was in Atlanta. No Fly Zone better figure out a plan for Julio Jones for sure.

Yeah, that is concerning. I am more confident in Talib with TJ over the top. He is freaking good though. I am concerned if they start gashing them with the run and then the play action will start working. The Broncos defense has not been consistent against the run, and it looks like the Falcons are pretty dynamic with their rushing attack.

Simple Jaded
10-02-2016, 08:16 PM
If only the Broncos had three or ten coaches on their staff with intimate knowledge of the Falcons system, they might have a chance. But where are they gonna find that many coaches with the knowledge they seek?

VonDoom
10-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Yeah, that is concerning. I am more confident in Talib with TJ over the top. He is freaking good though. I am concerned if they start gashing them with the run and then the play action will start working. The Broncos have defense have not been consistent against the run, and it looks like the Falcons are pretty dynamic with their rushing attack.

Run defense stepped up today. Let's hope that continues.

BroncoWave
10-02-2016, 08:19 PM
This will be a very tough game. Could see us dropping it, but I think it will be close either way.

I Eat Staples
10-02-2016, 08:21 PM
I'm pretty concerned. Our nightmare matchup is Pittsburgh because we are physically incapable of covering Antonio Brown, and I fear Julio could give us the same problem.

It's worth nothing though, that Carolina's secondary is complete trash.

BORDERLINE
10-02-2016, 08:24 PM
This will be a very tough game. Could see us dropping it, but I think it will be close either way.

At the beginning of the year this is one I chalked up as A W. right now Julio is on fire and we shut him down we shut them down. #noflyzone got this. Plus he's coming to that mile high altitude

Simple Jaded
10-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Run defense stepped up today. Let's hope that continues.

They could still pick up Potroast and alleviate the concern a bit. I'd just love to see Potroast in this defense, he's got Sam Adams ability in spurts and he'd fit this D better than Del Rio, imo.

Magnificent Seven
10-02-2016, 08:50 PM
It will be all about Broncos Defense vs. Falcons Offense.

Nomad
10-02-2016, 08:52 PM
I like the matchup....gonna be a tough game. I like the BRONCOS.

BroncoWave
10-02-2016, 08:52 PM
At the beginning of the year this is one I chalked up as A W. right now Julio is on fire and we shut him down we shut them down. #noflyzone got this. Plus he's coming to that mile high altitude

I'm just having flashbacks to what AB did to us last year and fear that Jones could do the same. He will be our toughest test of the year for sure.

underrated29
10-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Not worrsure at all. I had Ryan and Julio last year in FF and I watched a ton of falcons n games. All we have to do is hit Ryan a couple times early and he will fold. And fold fast.

My concern is freeman running all over us. If we shut down their run game we win easily!

MasterShake
10-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Their biggest strength is not as strong as our biggest strength, so not really. Not until somebody proves they can light up our secondary. The Bucs put up 2 30+ (including game 1 against the Falcons) this year so its not like they were not a good test.

Personally I think its great that we have to find reasons to be worried about teams instead of actually having them. Any given Sunday and all that but I think the Broncos are in great shape.

Slick
10-02-2016, 10:10 PM
Julio ain't catching no 300 yards against the no fly zone. We ain't watch nothing the Panthers did. Carolina ain't help us do nothing. They sorry!

dogfish
10-02-2016, 10:48 PM
Julio ain't catching no 300 yards against the no fly zone. We ain't watch nothing the Panthers did. Carolina ain't help us do nothing. They sorry!

my man! you know that's what i'm talkin' about. . . somebody might be concerned about hotlanta. . . not here, though. . .

#NoFlyZone
#WorldChampsZone
#F*ckYourOffenseZone

:defense:

MOtorboat
10-02-2016, 11:27 PM
To a point. They're good, but so is Denver's defense. This is a big early-season matchup.

TXBRONC
10-02-2016, 11:39 PM
So far so good this year, but man they are banging on all cylinders. Anticipating Shanahan, I am guessing they will try establish that run. The Broncos run defense, has not been all that to say the least.

I mean they boat raced, what was considered a pretty good defense in Carolina.

Quite a test. A little concerned about it.

They scored 152 points and given up 124. So yeah they can score points but they also give them away just quickly.

GEM
10-02-2016, 11:40 PM
Not worrsure at all. I had Ryan and Julio last year in FF and I watched a ton of falcons n games. All we have to do is hit Ryan a couple times early and he will fold. And fold fast.

My concern is freeman running all over us. If we shut down their run game we win easily!

What in the Sam's hill is a worrsure? Is that like a Minnesoaaaatan saying washer?

CrazyHorse
10-03-2016, 12:42 AM
They scored 152 points and given up 124. So yeah they can score points but they also give them away just quickly.

So they're currently on pace to break the single season points record. Can't let them do that. I think Matt Ryan might be MVP this year though.

FanInAZ
10-03-2016, 02:45 AM
The league rankings of the 4 teams the Falcons have faced by points against: http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=league&season=2016-REG&split=Overall&sort=OVERALL_PTS_AGAINST&order=desc&colSel=7

Buccaneers, 2nd worst
Raiders, 10th worst
Saints, worst
Panthers, 5th worst

In a side note, the Falcons D is 4th worst. So they’re a team with one of the leagues’ worst D that played half of the games against Ds that are even worst, and the other half against those that aren’t much better.

Summation: We could probably win this game with our 3rd string QB starting.

TXBRONC
10-03-2016, 06:49 AM
The league rankings of the 4 teams the Falcons have faced by points against: http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=league&season=2016-REG&split=Overall&sort=OVERALL_PTS_AGAINST&order=desc&colSel=7

Buccaneers, 2nd worst
Raiders, 10th worst
Saints, worst
Panthers, 5th worst

In a side note, the Falcons D is 4th worst. So they’re a team with one of the leagues’ worst D that played half of the games against Ds that are even worst, and the other half against those that aren’t much better.

Summation: We could probably win this game with our 3rd string QB starting.

Every team in the NFC South has given up well over 100 points through the first quarter of the season.

BroncoNut
10-03-2016, 08:04 AM
sounds like this might be a game worth tuning into

FanInAZ
10-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Every team in the NFC South has given up well over 100 points through the first quarter of the season.

They all given up over 115 points, 3 well over 120 points.

TXBRONC
10-03-2016, 08:24 AM
They all given up over 115 points, 3 well over 120 points.

It's ugly. The Panthers have given up the least amount of points with 118 and Falcons have given up the secomd least amount with 124. :shocked:

VonDoom
10-03-2016, 08:44 AM

The Saints defense is trash and they scored 45 against them. The Panthers, for whatever reason, are not firing this year and their secondary is brutal. Even the Raiders, whom they scored 35 against ... I'm just not sure that their defense is any good yet. They've given up a lot of points as well. The Falcons only loss was to the very Bucs team we just stomped out. They let up 31 points to that team and only scored 24 against a not great defense.

As I said, I'm worried, yes. But I bet our guys are looking at film already and figuring out what to do. If every drive looks like the drive in which the Bucs scored their TD yesterday, we'll be in trouble. I'd bet on our defense, though.

TXBRONC
10-03-2016, 08:50 AM
The Saints defense is trash and they scored 45 against them. The Panthers, for whatever reason, are not firing this year and their secondary is brutal. Even the Raiders, whom they scored 35 against ... I'm just not sure that their defense is any good yet. They've given up a lot of points as well. The Falcons only loss was to the very Bucs team we just stomped out. They let up 31 points to that team and only scored 24 against a not great defense.

As I said, I'm worried, yes. But I bet our guys are looking at film already and figuring out what to do. If every drive looks like the drive in which the Bucs scored their TD yesterday, we'll be in trouble. I'd bet on our defense, though.

The Panthers banked on the front seven being able cover up for any shortcomings of the secondary.

Bronco4ever
10-03-2016, 08:54 AM
I think Atlanta's offense should be extremely concerned about our defense.

weazel
10-03-2016, 09:12 AM
I aint worried 'bout shit.

Northman
10-03-2016, 09:20 AM
I aint worried 'bout shit.

Agreed.

Our defense is still very good and the Falcons have yet to face a defense like the Broncos. We are also at home which gives us a an advantage.

underrated29
10-03-2016, 11:07 AM
What in the Sam's hill is a worrsure? Is that like a Minnesoaaaatan saying washer?

I dont know. My phone is insane and likes to auto correct worry to worrsure and other stupid stuff. It is literally possessed.

TXBRONC
10-03-2016, 11:52 AM
I dont know. My phone is insane and likes to auto correct worry to worrsure and other stupid stuff. It is literally possessed.

I think problem is the person typing not autocorrect. :wave:

J/K :D

WARHORSE
10-03-2016, 11:58 AM
Its going to be frustrating for Fatlanta to not be able to score on us like they have been with everyone else.

Ryan threw for over 300 against Tampa, but they could not run the ball against them at all and that was with Doug Hamster in the backfield.

They will not throw alot against us or Ryan will get killed.

Denver has to stop the run though. Atlanta only had about 40 yards rushing against Tampa but then followed with 140 and almost 200 with Raiders and Saints.

Against Carolina they only had 76 yds total.

I think Fatlanta is in for a rude awakening especially if Siemian goes.

G_Money
10-03-2016, 12:00 PM
I don't expect our defense to run around like a bunch of second graders playing kickball like the Panthers did. What the hell is this?

http://a.espncdn.com/magazine/Barnwell31003.jpg
http://a.espncdn.com/magazine/Barnwell41003.jpg

That ain't gonna be us. We'll have to score in the 20s to win this game, but we've been doing that and the Falcons' D isn't exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread. Until one of our QBs has a turnover-fest it'll be pretty hard to knock us out of any game. We're gonna throw punches for 60 minutes and if you're still standing, more power to you.

I suggest to the Falcons that they'd better put up a chunk of points by halftime, though. This D adjusts like a muther after the break.

TXBRONC
10-03-2016, 12:07 PM
I don't expect our defense to run around like a bunch of second graders playing kickball like the Panthers did. What the hell is this?

http://a.espncdn.com/magazine/Barnwell31003.jpg

That ain't gonna be us. We'll have to score in the 20s to win this game, but we've been doing that and the Falcons' D isn't exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread. Until one of our QBs has a turnover-fest it'll be pretty hard to knock us out of any game. We're gonna throw punches for 60 minutes and if you're still standing, more power to you.

I suggest to the Falcons that they'd better put up a chunk of points by halftime, though. This D adjusts like a muther after the break.

Thanks for giving the opposition good advice.:tsk:

NightTerror218
10-03-2016, 12:46 PM
The key will be getting to Ryan and make him rush passes. They will run a lot to make us not pin back ears but if we can stop the run and force passing this will help us out a lot.

LawDog
10-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Denver's D leads the league in yds per pass attempt at 5.6. No one else is under 6.0. On the other hand, the Falcons' previous opponents are bunched at the bottom (literally 3rd-6th worst) between 8.2 and 8.6 with only Green Bay (8.9) and the Jets (9.7) being worse. The No Fly Zone will bring Matty Ice and Julio Jones right back down to earth where they belong.

slim
10-03-2016, 01:21 PM
I hope they try to throw it 50 times.

Hawgdriver
10-03-2016, 01:42 PM
Yes, the Broncos defense is extremely concerned about the Falcons offense, so we can all sleep at night. We want them on that wall, we need them on that wall.

TXBRONC
10-03-2016, 02:04 PM
I hope they try to throw it 50 times.

I understand where you're coming from but I hope Ryan doesn't get the opportunity.

BroncoJoe
10-03-2016, 02:07 PM
I'm no more concerned than any other week.

FanInAZ
10-03-2016, 05:56 PM

Well, at least a ref is in perfect position to defend the pass :lol:

tripp
10-03-2016, 08:37 PM
I'm looking at the teams Atlanta has faced, and every single team they had played has awful defenses. Oakland isn't as good as they were last year (Khalil Mack is M.I.A.), New Orleans is garbage as usual, Panthers aren't the same team as they were last year (1-3) also Cam Newton left that game with a concussion, and Tampa.. they lost to them 31 - 24. The team we just beat 27 - 7 in Tampa.

Atlanta's defense is so bad, only way we can lose to them is if we get into a shoot out. They would have to put up 30+ points to beat us. It's not impossible, but Matt Ryan would have to play out of mind to beat us with our defense in Denver.

I don't think it will be a blow out, but I don't think they will be putting up Madden-like numbers on us. Their running game concerns me a little bit, as they have two very versatile RB's, much like Cinci's duo.

Tned
10-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Mason posted some interesting stats.

@MaseDenver Through 4 gms., @Broncos have held opposing QBs to passer ratings an avg. of 29.4 points below what those QBs have v. other foes last 2 yrs.

This he retweeted from @fbgchase Football Perspective

Broncos 98.6 rating / 61.3 opponent rating / 37.3 (2nd) differential
Atlanta 126.3 rating / 104.8 opponent rating / 21.5 (5th) differential

So, while they are both top five in differential, they are doing it differently.

Broncos have the best (lowest) opponent passer rating, while being tied for 8th best passer rating themselves.

Atlanta has the 4th worst opponent passer rating, while having the best (by 12 points) passer rating themselves.

So, I summarize that by saying the Falcons are winning shootouts, because they can't stop other offenses, but are unstoppable themselves, where as the Broncos have been getting some of the best QB performance in the league, while shutting down opposing QBs more than any other team in the league.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-03-2016, 10:20 PM
I'd be more nervous if we were playing them in the dome on carpet. We've got them at home where Jones and Freeman won't be as quick. If we can rattle Ryan early, the wheels will come off. Ryan is actually pretty subpar when pressured.

Magnificent Seven
10-03-2016, 10:21 PM
Broncos open Week 5 as favorites over Falcons.

Vegas doesn't foresee the Denver Broncos losing anytime soon.

In their early lines for Week 5, gambling website Odds Shark lists the Broncos as 6.5-point favorites over the Atlanta Falcons.

Denver pushed their undefeated record to 4-0 with a resounding 27-7 victory over the Buccaneers.

Meanwhile, the Falcons (3-1) are coming off a win in which Matt Ryan amassed 500 passing yards and Julio Jones notched 300 receiving yards -- both new team records.

The Broncos return home for a showdown with the Atlanta Falcons! Don’t miss out on any news, take a second to sign up for our FREE Broncos newsletter!

This will be the first interconference meeting of the teams since 2012, and the first time the Broncos have played host to the Falcons since 2004.

Kickoff from Sports Authority Field is slated for 2:05 p.m. MT next Sunday.

http://den.247sports.com/Bolt/Broncos-open-Week-5-as-favorites-over-Falcons-47975887

Krugan
10-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Not extremely worried, but i think this will be a home loss.

Just looks like a bad matchup.

EastCoastBronco
10-04-2016, 11:10 AM
I stopped doubting Wade Philips and this defence after we ****** up Brady and Newton in the playoffs last year.
I say we win by 7.

iLands
10-04-2016, 11:19 AM
No.

I hope we murder them. Four years ago, I watched the Falcons/Broncos game and had the worst experience I've ever had with the Falcons fans. I had popcorn and such thrown at my date and me. Losing the game was even worse.

I've been waiting for four years for this game. Broncos have been averaging multiple quarterback kills over the last few seasons. I have a feeling Matty Ice goes out early and there will be a lot of controversy. The Falcons also seem dumb enough to play Tevin Coleman against us according to reports.

I know Von remembers that game. He'll be looking for blood.

CoachChaz
10-04-2016, 11:33 AM
The four teams we've played so far are in the top 10 in sacks allowed, with 3 of them being in the top 3. Tampa is #10, but we literally doubled their total in one week. Atlanta has allowed 9 in 4 games against inferior defenses ranking no higher than #15 in total defense and all four have a combined total of 25 sacks...only 8 more than us. So, I expect us to get to Ryan pretty often.

Conversely, Atlanta has a total of 4 sacks themselves.

Mike
10-04-2016, 12:05 PM
QBs aren't the same after we play them. I love watching this defense play and can't wait for them to go up against the Falcons.

Tned
10-04-2016, 12:19 PM
QBs aren't the same after we play them. I love watching this defense play and can't wait for them to go up against the Falcons.

Yea, a buddy commented yesterday on how Cam hasn't been the same since the Broncos broke him in the SB.

Magnificent Seven
10-04-2016, 02:40 PM
No.

I hope we murder them. Four years ago, I watched the Falcons/Broncos game and had the worst experience I've ever had with the Falcons fans. I had popcorn and such thrown at my date and me. Losing the game was even worse.

I've been waiting for four years for this game. Broncos have been averaging multiple quarterback kills over the last few seasons. I have a feeling Matty Ice goes out early and there will be a lot of controversy. The Falcons also seem dumb enough to play Tevin Coleman against us according to reports.

I know Von remembers that game. He'll be looking for blood.

That time... NFL had referee lockout and we had shitty referees. They missed too many calls. Broncos should have won over Falcons.

Davii
10-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Yes, the Broncos defense is extremely concerned about the Falcons offense, so we can all sleep at night. We want them on that wall, we need them on that wall.

Von Miller ordered the Code Red

Davii
10-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Not extremely worried, but i think this will be a home loss.

Just looks like a bad matchup.

Didn't you pick against us this past week as well?

Not inferring anything, merely asking.

Krugan
10-04-2016, 04:11 PM
Its possible, its that florida thing, seems there are alot of let downs there.

This week is a different 'feeling'. Just feels like its time for a wtf game, and i think Atlanta has the right combo to make it tough for us.

(I have picked us to win in pickem though, I rarely dont pick us in things like that not wanting to ever fully accept a loss)

Mike
10-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Its possible, its that florida thing, seems there are alot of let downs there.

This week is a different 'feeling'. Just feels like its time for a wtf game, and i think Atlanta has the right combo to make it tough for us.

(I have picked us to win in pickem though, I rarely dont pick us in things like that not wanting to ever fully accept a loss)

Them playing so well and having such an offensive output plays in to Denver's favor, IMO. They are flying high and cocky and Denver can take them serious.

I expect the defense to be ready for them and the offense to be opportunistic just like the rest of the games so far.

NightTrainLayne
10-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Yea, a buddy commented yesterday on how Cam hasn't been the same since the Broncos broke him in the SB.

I think the combined effect of the SB, and the week one loss. Devastating.

dogfish
10-04-2016, 08:56 PM

i posted a similar comment in the "well, boys" thread a few days ago. . . we did break him. . . though in fairness, they've been using him as a battering ram for a while now, so it was bound to catch up to him sooner or later. . . we just accelerated the process a bit by pummeling him repeatedly. . .

i think we beat atlanta, but it's their run game that worries me the most. . . as good as our guys are, you almost have to have at least some help against julio, the way he's playing. . . they should get some looks at seven man fronts on early downs, and our run D hasn't been nearly as strong as last year's so far. . . maybe wade and kollar can get more out of the group up front as the year goes on, but right now we are vulnerable. . . the tevin coleman situation obvously warrants some attention-- their backfield committee has been kicking ass, they're weakened if they only have one of them available. . . both guys can catch out of the backfield effectively, which is one of the few ways teams can consistently do some damage against us. . . some quick hitting stuff to the RB also helps keep their QB alive. . . talib will mug jones on the field before he lets the guy go for two bills, let alone three, though-- so that, i'm not sweatin'. . . he'll probably make some plays here and there-- i don't think we're shutting them out or anything. . . but he's not going to be just running buck wild, wide effin' open right down the middle of our secondary. . . nope. . . he's going to get bumped, jammed and bracketed all day, he's gonna have to work for everything he gets. . .

and i think our offense will get theirs, whether it's siemian or lynch at QB. . . atlanta's defense sucks, and we're starting to find some rhythm. . . i like our chances of getting it done at home. . .

#NoFlyZone
#F**kYourOffenseZone

TXBRONC
10-04-2016, 09:00 PM

You're damn right he did!

Hawgdriver
10-04-2016, 09:42 PM
#F**kYourOffenseZone

has a ring to it :heh:

FanInAZ
10-04-2016, 09:53 PM

You're damn right he did!

I want the truth!

Matt Ryan can't handle the truth!

dogfish
10-04-2016, 10:00 PM
has a ring to it :heh:

oh yea it does!

Broncoknight30
10-10-2016, 08:40 AM
Well, at the least the Broncos defense did not get lit up by Julio. We can always point to that bright side. I guess.

iLands
10-10-2016, 08:48 AM
We didn't get lit up period. We allowed one touchdown until Paxton's pick. We shut down their pass and kept Ryan below 100 rating. All this while the defense couldn't get off the field to catch their breath.

We couldn't get them out of run mode because we couldn't score points. Our best drives were against costly Falcon penalties until they went prevent late.

Broncoknight30
10-10-2016, 09:01 AM
We didn't get lit up period. We allowed one touchdown until Paxton's pick. We shut down their pass and kept Ryan below 100 rating. All this while the defense couldn't get off the field to catch their breath.

We couldn't get them out of run mode because we couldn't score points. Our best drives were against costly Falcon penalties until they went prevent late.

True enough, but the Falcons did execute their game plan. It was not that bad for the Broncos defense. However, the Falcons did expose a weakness. The Pats did that last year, even though the Broncos won that game in the snow. Remember when the Pats used their backs as receivers last year?

The Falcons obviously did that. They were also pretty aware that Matt Ryan had to get rid of that ball quickly. Mainly 3 step drops.

I actually put more of the loss on the Broncos OL than Lynch. It was his first start as a pro. The Broncos OL and their run blocking sucks. It is embarrassingly bad. They get shoved backwards. They were in 3rd and long all day.

Lynch obviously needs to understand his check downs and hot routes. That should come in time. The OL to me is the greatest concern.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-10-2016, 09:01 AM
The run defense hasn't been good all year, but at the end of the day we only gave up 23 points.

Broncoknight30
10-10-2016, 09:21 AM
The run defense hasn't been good all year, but at the end of the day we only gave up 23 points.

That is too much imo. I remember Tom Jackson a few years ago said the magic number is 17 points. That is the goal of every defense.

Not horrible, but not great either. Especially at home.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-10-2016, 09:32 AM
That is too much imo. I remember Tom Jackson a few years ago said the magic number is 17 points. That is the goal of every defense.

Not horrible, but not great either. Especially at home.
I don't think they were great, but I think it would have been good enough to win if our offense wasn't so banged up.