PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts

Pages : [1] 2

Buff
09-29-2016, 04:08 PM
I consume podcasts relentlessly - and am always looking for new good ones. Therefore we need a thread to trade recommendations.

Here are some of my favorites:

The Tim Ferris Show - Hands down the best podcast going. He interviews world-class performers and extracts all of their tips and secrets and habits, etc. It's life-changing.

Some good true crime podcasts - Sword and Scale (super graphic and disturbing, but well produced); In the Dark; Generation Why; Casefile True Crime; Thinking Sideways, Real Crime Profile

Political podcasts - Keepin it 1600, Fivethirtyeight Elections, Slate's Political Gabfest, Politico's Off Message, Radio Free GOP with Mike Murphy, The Axe Files with David Axelrod

General Content - Longform, Recode, then lots of fantasy sports pods

What are you guys listening to?

WTE
09-29-2016, 04:19 PM
David Axelrod? Are you kidding me?

BroncoJoe
09-29-2016, 04:24 PM
You turned us on to Serial - and we loved that podcast. I'm never in the car long enough to get into podcasts, but we're taking a long roadtrip this winter, so we need a couple good ones.

Buff
09-29-2016, 04:42 PM
David Axelrod? Are you kidding me?

He's kind of boring most of the time - but I love Axe. He had an awesome podcast with Jon Stewart earlier this year.

You turned us on to Serial - and we loved that podcast. I'm never in the car long enough to get into podcasts, but we're taking a long roadtrip this winter, so we need a couple good ones.

You should check out the "In the Dark" podcast about the disappearance of Jacob Wetterling. It's about halfway through the season at this point.

BroncoWave
09-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Pardon My Take is by far my favorite. They are a satire sports podcast from Barstool Sports. The famous Twitter account PFTcommenter is one of the hosts. It's one of the most hilarious things out there.

MOtorboat
09-29-2016, 05:27 PM
Subscribe. Will be back.

slim
09-29-2016, 05:49 PM
I listen to the best pod casts. Everyone says so.

BroncoJoe
09-29-2016, 06:00 PM
I listen to the best pod casts. Everyone says so.

Believe me.

MOtorboat
09-29-2016, 06:12 PM
In The Dark is fantastic. I had a very pereferral knowledge of the Wetterling case. It's a very sad, but fascinating story. The investigation was botched badly.

ESPN's Pin/Kings was excellent. Just a crazy story of two wrestling buddies who ended up on opposite sides of the cocaine war in the 80s and 90s. I think it's 17 episodes.

All Songs Considered, Tiny Desk Concerts and Rolling Stone now are the music podcasts I listen to.

The Dollop. A comedy podcast with some history.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.

I subscribe to all of The Ringer podcasts, but The Watch, NFL and Shackhouse are my 3 favorite. I do listen to Simmons stuff, too.

Favorite strictly sports:
Baseball: Effectively Wild.
Basketball: Vertical Podcast with Woj, Lowe Post.
College Football: Solid Verbal.

MOtorboat
09-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Totally forgot Rock and Roll Archaeology Project. Some good stuff there.

MasterShake
09-30-2016, 11:35 AM
Kevin Smith has some good podcasts, but my favorite is Fatman on Batman which is basically him doing movie reviews so probably not a good one for Buff. Man that guy can tell a story though. Other good stuff from him and the Smodcast network is Tell 'Em Steve Dave and Jay and Silent Bob Get Old which can get surprisingly deep sometimes.

For more traditional stuff:

History/Culture:

Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell - Neat reinterpretations of past events that give unique perspectives on a range of subjects from Wilt Chamberlain to a 98 year old pastor discussing his personal views on gay marriage in the Church.

Hardcore History with Dan Carlin - Good discussions on topics like was Alexander the Great as bad as Hitler? Carlin is not an academic but he does a great job of flipping the script on history in a fun and entertaining way. Great road trip podcast.

General:

Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! - The classic NPR quiz show that makes you feel really good or really bad about how well you know current events.

Science Vs - Takes a hard scientific look at fact vs fiction on topics like Zika, G-Spots, and Fracking. Really informational without all the messy opinions. Fact based fun for everyone!

Comedy:

Monday Morning Podcast with Bill Burr - Really funny takes on the pressing issues of the day.

WTF with Marc Maron - Smart comedy from a smart comedian. Pretty left leaning though (shocking, I know!)

Entertainment:

SMODCAST channels (see above). Otherwise when Game of Thrones comes back on I only ever really listen to The Game of Thrones Podcast from BaldMove.com. Two friends named Jim and Ron (one a book reader, one who only watches the show) break down the episodes each week from each others perspectives. A smaller podcast but they have a cult following for a reason. Really fun way to dig into the show during the season.

Those are my big ones. I find others all the time but forget what they are called. I only recently started getting into Podcasts and I'm pissed I waited so long. They really help pass the day at work or on long trips.

MasterShake
09-30-2016, 11:38 AM
In The Dark is fantastic. I had a very pereferral knowledge of the Wetterling case. It's a very sad, but fascinating story. The investigation was botched badly.

ESPN's Pin/Kings was excellent. Just a crazy story of two wrestling buddies who ended up on opposite sides of the cocaine war in the 80s and 90s. I think it's 17 episodes.

All Songs Considered, Tiny Desk Concerts and Rolling Stone now are the music podcasts I listen to.

The Dollop. A comedy podcast with some history.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.

I subscribe to all of The Ringer podcasts, but The Watch, NFL and Shackhouse are my 3 favorite. I do listen to Simmons stuff, too.

Favorite strictly sports:
Baseball: Effectively Wild.
Basketball: Vertical Podcast with Woj, Lowe Post.
College Football: Solid Verbal.

Nice! Just saw you had that too. Love that show.

MOtorboat
09-30-2016, 12:30 PM
Nice! Just saw you had that too. Love that show.

I know it was like 14 hours, but the King of Kings series was amazing.

underrated29
09-30-2016, 12:39 PM
So I am about to show my age here (90 year old man in a 30 years old body)........

What exactly is a podcast?
(Laugh it up ********) (then please answer so I can be cool and hip too)

MOtorboat
09-30-2016, 12:44 PM
:tsk:

MasterShake
09-30-2016, 12:46 PM
So I am about to show my age here (90 year old man in a 30 years old body)........

I don't know if I'm more concerned about your lack of knowing what a Podcast is or the fact that googling it would be pretty easy: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=podcast

Seriously though, a podcast is just an episodic series (usually audio based) that could be on a wide range of topics. They are basically streaming audio files to your smartphone or computer that you can subscribe to whenever new episodes pop up. Think of them as very specific Internet radio talk shows.

BroncoWave
09-30-2016, 01:03 PM

Wat

underrated29
09-30-2016, 01:33 PM
I don't know if I'm more concerned about your lack of knowing what a Podcast is or the fact that googling it would be pretty easy: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=podcast

Seriously though, a podcast is just an episodic series (usually audio based) that could be on a wide range of topics. They are basically streaming audio files to your smartphone or computer that you can subscribe to whenever new episodes pop up. Think of them as very specific Internet radio talk shows.

That essentially what I thought but why do they call it a podcast? Not a radio series, or audioshow or something. Who comes up with these names? Podcast literally has nothing to do with a series or radio...I hear podcast and i think of some sort of fishing reel.

underrated29
09-30-2016, 01:36 PM
I consume podcasts relentlessly - and am always looking for new good ones. Therefore we need a thread to trade recommendations.

Here are some of my favorites:

The Tim Ferris Show - Hands down the best podcast going. He interviews world-class performers and extracts all of their tips and secrets and habits, etc. It's life-changing.

Some good true crime podcasts - Sword and Scale (super graphic and disturbing, but well produced); In the Dark; Generation Why; Casefile True Crime; Thinking Sideways, Real Crime Profile

Political podcasts - Keepin it 1600, Fivethirtyeight Elections, Slate's Political Gabfest, Politico's Off Message, Radio Free GOP with Mike Murphy, The Axe Files with David Axelrod

General Content - Longform, Recode, then lots of fantasy sports pods

What are you guys listening to?

Now that I am hip too I would say that none of that appeals to me aside from the tips and tricks that those successful people have come to learn. Otherwise I do not see the point of a podcast. I would rather learn a new language then listen to people talk about stuff and their opinions on stuff.

Do they have language podcasts?
are podcasts a good way of advertising?

NightTrainLayne
09-30-2016, 02:21 PM
I have come to the conclusion that many of you don't do any work at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBfTrjPSShs

MasterShake
09-30-2016, 02:37 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBfTrjPSShs

I do! Really I do! :lol:

Seriously though the best part of my job is that I can write code and do graphic design in my sleep. When I'm not stuck in meetings I get to listen to Podcasts. I like them because it just makes the day go by sooo much quicker.

MasterShake
09-30-2016, 02:41 PM
Now that I am hip too I would say that none of that appeals to me aside from the tips and tricks that those successful people have come to learn. Otherwise I do not see the point of a podcast. I would rather learn a new language then listen to people talk about stuff and their opinions on stuff.

Do they have language podcasts?
are podcasts a good way of advertising?

Well to answer this and your earlier questions:

Podcast came about when the only real viable digital media player in the game was the i-Pod. When people learned that they could just record audio and have users download their broadcasts to their i-Pods, they just smooshed the words i-Pod and Broadcast together to make Podcast.

And yes, there are literally any kind of podcast you can think of including one's that help you learn langauges: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/feb/09/top-podcasts-learning-language-german-japanese

You only really hear sponsored ads at the beginning and ends of podcasts, I'm not sure how effective they are. Usually the smaller podcasts are just advertising their own merchandise stores.

NightTrainLayne
09-30-2016, 02:45 PM
I do! Really I do! :lol:

Seriously though the best part of my job is that I can write code and do graphic design in my sleep. When I'm not stuck in meetings I get to listen to Podcasts. I like them because it just makes the day go by sooo much quicker.

I am talking with customers way too much to listen to podcasts. Too much interruption.

underrated29
09-30-2016, 03:41 PM
Well to answer this and your earlier questions:

Podcast came about when the only real viable digital media player in the game was the i-Pod. When people learned that they could just record audio and have users download their broadcasts to their i-Pods, they just smooshed the words i-Pod and Broadcast together to make Podcast.

And yes, there are literally any kind of podcast you can think of including one's that help you learn langauges: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/feb/09/top-podcasts-learning-language-german-japanese

You only really hear sponsored ads at the beginning and ends of podcasts, I'm not sure how effective they are. Usually the smaller podcasts are just advertising their own merchandise stores.

Wonderful.

I meant more in terms of having ones own podcast to use for advertising/marketing purposes? I am spinning the wheels on this and i like the possibilities. I need to find out how to make my own podcast and how to distribute it. These are free, correct? I mean to listen too?

slim
09-30-2016, 04:20 PM
I am talking with customers way too much to listen to podcasts. Too much interruption.

Cha-ching!

MOtorboat
09-30-2016, 04:25 PM
Wonderful.

I meant more in terms of having ones own podcast to use for advertising/marketing purposes? I am spinning the wheels on this and i like the possibilities. I need to find out how to make my own podcast and how to distribute it. These are free, correct? I mean to listen too?

You'd be hard-pressed to get me to willingly listen to an advertisement I have to seek out and subscribe to.

underrated29
09-30-2016, 05:58 PM
You'd be hard-pressed to get me to willingly listen to an advertisement I have to seek out and subscribe to.

It wouldnt be an advertisement. This is not an audio informercial. More like an Audio blog for what I have in mind. If you listen to people debate political shit that literally does not change a single thing in this world or with you, why would you not listen to something that will teach you something, give you a few ideas about how to do things, and let you know of the important aspects within the topic.

I mean, if people can watch a tv show about people cooking, or some guy travelling the world and eating weird as food, I fail to see how a podcast blog thing would not hold interest. Especially if its about something youve always been interested in.

If you were always interested in WWII but had never known more than a few text books, video games and movies, would you not want to listen to something about it? Or cars, maybe you have always wanted a Ferrari. Would you not listen to a pod cast about a ferrari, rebuilinding them, best place to buy one, modifications you can make, best places to drive it, etc?

I think I could make it work pretty well.

MasterShake
09-30-2016, 10:40 PM
It wouldnt be an advertisement. This is not an audio informercial. More like an Audio blog for what I have in mind. If you listen to people debate political shit that literally does not change a single thing in this world or with you, why would you not listen to something that will teach you something, give you a few ideas about how to do things, and let you know of the important aspects within the topic.

I mean, if people can watch a tv show about people cooking, or some guy travelling the world and eating weird as food, I fail to see how a podcast blog thing would not hold interest. Especially if its about something youve always been interested in.

If you were always interested in WWII but had never known more than a few text books, video games and movies, would you not want to listen to something about it? Or cars, maybe you have always wanted a Ferrari. Would you not listen to a pod cast about a ferrari, rebuilinding them, best place to buy one, modifications you can make, best places to drive it, etc?

Check out some of the existing history podcasts we listed. It will give you a good idea of formatting it.

underrated29
09-30-2016, 11:04 PM
Check out some of the existing history podcasts we listed. It will give you a good idea of formatting it.

Whoa whoa whoa!
I just learned what a podcast is. Now you want me to format!!!

(IthinkIwillgoodtipsir)

MOtorboat
10-01-2016, 01:10 AM

Right. I understand how you target something for an audience. That's literally what I do.

I understand you're probably not telling me what your audience is, but it should be pretty defined.

underrated29
10-01-2016, 01:19 AM
Right. I understand how you target something for an audience. That's literally what I do.

I understand you're probably not telling me what your audience is, but it should be pretty defined.

You should know. I've offered my assistance to you a few times. Even put you in the running on fb, I think? 'Twas supposed to hit all my fb friends but somehow only like 60 got it......the whole computer technology thing. I feel like a real life demolition man sometimes. 3 little sea shells.

MOtorboat
10-01-2016, 01:21 AM
You should know. I've offered my assistance to you a few times. Even put you in the running on fb, I think? 'Twas supposed to hit all my fb friends but somehow only like 60 got it......the whole computer technology thing. I feel like a real life demolition man sometimes. 3 little sea shells.

Right, but that's what I'm saying. I have to seek podcasts out and you're selling me a product. Why would I willingly seek out an advertisement?

Now, there's probably an interest in travel podcasts, is that your thought? But, again, just like other podcasts, you're probably going to have to convince people you just don't want to sell them shit.

Timmy!
10-01-2016, 01:24 AM
Number of podcasts listened to, ever: 0

MOtorboat
10-01-2016, 01:25 AM
Number of podcasts listened to, ever: 0

Get you some music, podcasts, Timmy. Feel the hippy vibe. Might help with the Uber.

Timmy!
10-01-2016, 01:29 AM
Get you some music, podcasts, Timmy. Feel the hippy vibe. Might help with the Uber.

I have plenty of music......and the way the jacked up streets and traffic are in this town, no distactions: good

MOtorboat
10-01-2016, 01:30 AM
I have plenty of music......and the way the jacked up streets and traffic are in this town, no distactions: good

You got the elevator music on lock?

Timmy!
10-01-2016, 01:35 AM
You got the elevator music on lock?

Just my 6 radio presets.

#technology

MOtorboat
10-01-2016, 01:37 AM
Just my 6 radio presets.

#technology

#innovation

Timmy!
10-01-2016, 01:38 AM
I actually have a cd player for the 1st time in 3 years.

elsid13
10-01-2016, 07:24 AM
I like the Spy Museum Pod Cast on Espionage and TED talks on NPR

Buff
10-03-2016, 10:54 AM

Actually I think the appeal of podcasts for me is that you can work them into a busy schedule. I like to listen to them on my commute to/from work, or if I get out to take a walk in the middle of the day, or when I'm doing the dishes at night, etc.

Buff
10-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Kevin Smith has some good podcasts, but my favorite is Fatman on Batman which is basically him doing movie reviews so probably not a good one for Buff. Man that guy can tell a story though. Other good stuff from him and the Smodcast network is Tell 'Em Steve Dave and Jay and Silent Bob Get Old which can get surprisingly deep sometimes.

For more traditional stuff:

History/Culture:

Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell - Neat reinterpretations of past events that give unique perspectives on a range of subjects from Wilt Chamberlain to a 98 year old pastor discussing his personal views on gay marriage in the Church.

Hardcore History with Dan Carlin - Good discussions on topics like was Alexander the Great as bad as Hitler? Carlin is not an academic but he does a great job of flipping the script on history in a fun and entertaining way. Great road trip podcast.

General:

Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! - The classic NPR quiz show that makes you feel really good or really bad about how well you know current events.

Science Vs - Takes a hard scientific look at fact vs fiction on topics like Zika, G-Spots, and Fracking. Really informational without all the messy opinions. Fact based fun for everyone!

Comedy:

Monday Morning Podcast with Bill Burr - Really funny takes on the pressing issues of the day.

WTF with Marc Maron - Smart comedy from a smart comedian. Pretty left leaning though (shocking, I know!)

Entertainment:

SMODCAST channels (see above). Otherwise when Game of Thrones comes back on I only ever really listen to The Game of Thrones Podcast from BaldMove.com. Two friends named Jim and Ron (one a book reader, one who only watches the show) break down the episodes each week from each others perspectives. A smaller podcast but they have a cult following for a reason. Really fun way to dig into the show during the season.

Those are my big ones. I find others all the time but forget what they are called. I only recently started getting into Podcasts and I'm pissed I waited so long. They really help pass the day at work or on long trips.

I agree on the last part - they have revolutionized commuting for me. I don't even mind being stuck in the car for an hour at a time anymore. I always refresh WTF to see if he has a guest I'm interested in. I am lukewarm on Malcolm's new podcast. A couple of them were intriguing, but it also sort of felt like the content was underwhelming. That's my main gripe on many podcasts - the content can be very polished and produced but still pretty thin. E.g. Serial Season 2 was a huge letdown to me.

MOtorboat
10-03-2016, 11:07 AM
I agree on the last part - they have revolutionized commuting for me. I don't even mind being stuck in the car for an hour at a time anymore. I always refresh WTF to see if he has a guest I'm interested in. I am lukewarm on Malcolm's new podcast. A couple of them were intriguing, but it also sort of felt like the content was underwhelming. That's my main gripe on many podcasts - the content can be very polished and produced but still pretty thin. E.g. Serial Season 2 was a huge letdown to me.

I'm in the car a lot too and when I get home, TV is just reruns, so I listen to a lot of them late at night.

MOtorboat
10-28-2016, 03:34 PM
I do enjoy the Friday Rolling podcasts from Simmons.

BroncoJoe
10-28-2016, 03:59 PM
Anyone listening to "Accused"?

I hear it's a lot like Serial.

MOtorboat
10-28-2016, 04:08 PM

Yes. I've listened to the first two episodes. It's pretty intriguing.

Buff
10-28-2016, 05:28 PM
I do enjoy the Friday Rolling podcasts from Simmons.

I'm so happy Mike Lombardi is back. I'm kind of over House though. I usually only listen to the first half.

I listened to one but was kind of annoyed with the host. Maybe I'll give it another try. I finished "In the dark" this week. Highly recommended. It's nice when a true crime podcast has some real resolution and draws conclusions.

MOtorboat
10-29-2016, 12:33 AM
I'm so happy Mike Lombardi is back. I'm kind of over House though. I usually only listen to the first half.

I listened to one but was kind of annoyed with the host. Maybe I'll give it another try. I finished "In the dark" this week. Highly recommended. It's nice when a true crime podcast has some real resolution and draws conclusions.

I like Shack House.

MOtorboat
11-01-2016, 12:59 AM
Listening to Simmons' Monday podcast. He's learning of the Collins trade real time. You could hear the shock in his voice and then he tried to do the same thing WTE did. Hilarious.

Buff
11-03-2016, 10:15 AM
Roger Waters on the WTF pod this week.

MOtorboat
12-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Crimetown, the mob and Providence, Rhode Island.

MOtorboat
12-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Stuff You Missed in History Class

Just listened to an episode. Interesting story about the Palmer Raids in 1919 and 1920.

Buff
12-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Crimetown, the mob and Providence, Rhode Island.

This is on my list - letting them get a little bit deeper before I dive in.

The CBS show "48 Hours" is available on Podcast now and so I've been listening to a ton of those... I got tired of sifting through so many half ass true crime podcasts that lasted 12 episodes and led nowhere, it's nice to have something with real production value with a beginning, middle and end all in an hour long pod.

BroncoJoe
12-07-2016, 05:00 PM

The CBS show "48 Hours" is available on Podcast now and so I've been listening to a ton of those... I got tired of sifting through so many half ass true crime podcasts that lasted 12 episodes and led nowhere, it's nice to have something with real production value with a beginning, middle and end all in an hour long pod.

I didn't know this - love 48 hours.

We've got a big road trip coming up, so need to stock up on the podcasts. Although, I'm pretty sure I'll have little say in what we listen to.

I should be more like Lynch12.

MOtorboat
12-07-2016, 05:04 PM

I think Crimetown is pretty good. They are clearly heading somewhere and it's a mob story I'd never heard.

MOtorboat
12-27-2016, 11:44 AM
Buff, have you listened to Cinephile, Adnan Virk's movie podcast? He hated Star Wars. You might like it.

Buff
12-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Buff, have you listened to Cinephile, Adnan Virk's movie podcast? He hated Star Wars. You might like it.

I'll give it a listen. He was mostly too overzealous for my liking when he'd fill in for Russillo - like, just tone it down 5 notches fella.

Hawgdriver
12-27-2016, 12:08 PM
You turned us on to Serial - and we loved that podcast.

It was more like a friendly peck on the cheek for me. She was cute but she was trying too hard.

My son and I enjoy Radiolab when we drive to the mountains.

BroncoNut
12-27-2016, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure I know what a podcast is. is it a you tube video? if I've viewed them as you tube vids, I never knew they were podcasts,.// BUT one fellow I subscribe to did say his was a podcast at one time. so maybe it's one of those things where a you tube might be a podcast but not necessarily.

elsid13
12-28-2016, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure I know what a podcast is. is it a you tube video? if I've viewed them as you tube vids, I never knew they were podcasts,.// BUT one fellow I subscribe to did say his was a podcast at one time. so maybe it's one of those things where a you tube might be a podcast but not necessarily.

AGAP

It's downloadable audio program. It can be a radio show or an hour plus on certain topic.

BroncoNut
12-28-2016, 11:42 AM
AGAP

It's downloadable audio program. It can be a radio show or an hour plus on certain topic.

thanks, I watch a shit ton of you tubes videos which can be that long.

Hawgdriver
12-28-2016, 11:51 AM
thanks, I watch a shit ton of you tubes videos which can be that long.

If you have a smartphone, search for a podcast app like Podcast Republic or any of the free ones that show up toward the top. Then install it and search in the podcast app for a podcast...try radiolab. Search for the episode called Argentine Invasion, circa July 2012. Or if you <3 tru crime, try Serial. Then listen. Earbuds/headphones (or car speakers if your car has bluetooth) can be an improvement over the smartphone speaker. Consider pairing this activity with exercise, driving, or housework.

It can be hit or miss, try google for podcasts and lists of best episodes.

BroncoNut
12-28-2016, 12:05 PM
thanks hawg, sounds like something I could really get into.

MOtorboat
01-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Where's my Friday rolling podcast, Bill? I can't go to work on Friday without it!

BroncoJoe
01-06-2017, 01:44 PM
We listened to a crap-ton of Sword and Scale during our 3,900 road trip. Pretty good stuff, but some of the episodes were really gruesome, and hard to listen to. Especially the one about cannibals who like to kidnap and eat children.

MOtorboat
01-06-2017, 01:47 PM
We listened to a crap-ton of Sword and Scale during our 3,900 road trip. Pretty good stuff, but some of the episodes were really gruesome, and hard to listen to. Especially the one about cannibals who like to kidnap and eat children.

Recommended, or no?

BroncoJoe
01-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Recommended, or no?

We listened to this almost exclusively. If you like crime stories, absolutely. Each episode (with a few 2-part ones being the exception) is a different case. It's just some of the stories are a bit hard to listen to, but still very interesting.

BroncoJoe
01-06-2017, 01:55 PM
We listened to this almost exclusively. If you like crime stories, absolutely. Each episode (with a few 2-part ones being the exception) is a different case. It's just some of the stories are a bit hard to listen to, but still very interesting.

To clarify - hard to listen to = pretty graphic descriptions.

Buff
01-06-2017, 02:43 PM

I listen to a ton of Sword and Scale and think it's the best true crime podcast - but I can't really envision listening to that with my family... The shit is the darkest of the dark and takes you to some weird places.

Like the one about Luka Magnotta will scar you for the rest of your life.

BroncoJoe
01-06-2017, 02:46 PM
I listen to a ton of Sword and Scale and think it's the best true crime podcast - but I can't really envision listening to that with my family... The shit is the darkest of the dark and takes you to some weird places.

Like the one about Luka Magnotta will scar you for the rest of your life.

Right? Some of the stories are hard to stomach, but addictive. My kids (the ones in the car) are 20 and 16, and the wife like listening to them. My son felt sick after the cannibalism one, but most are pretty good. The wife and kids were sleeping through most of them as well.

Buff
01-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Right? Some of the stories are hard to stomach, but addictive. My kids (the ones in the car) are 20 and 16, and the wife like listening to them. My son felt sick after the cannibalism one, but most are pretty good. The wife and kids were sleeping through most of them as well.

I don't really like the ones where he has guests - I like the ones that focus on specific cases and pull in a lot of court or interview audio. Some of those episodes seriously stick with you though - stuff you can't unhear or forget. Like there was one about a road rage case where the husband got gunned down in front of his wife and kids while his wife is on the phone with 911 - it's some of the most gut wrenching audio I've ever heard.

BroncoJoe
01-06-2017, 02:55 PM
I don't really like the ones where he has guests - I like the ones that focus on specific cases and pull in a lot of court or interview audio. Some of those episodes seriously stick with you though - stuff you can't unhear or forget. Like there was one about a road rage case where the husband got gunned down in front of his wife and kids while his wife is on the phone with 911 - it's some of the most gut wrenching audio I've ever heard.

I'm not sure I heard that one yet. Did you listen to the cannibalism one? That was disturbing. SMILEY FACE... As was the one you mentioned about Luka. He was a sick MF'er. His picture on wiki is nothing what I pictured him to look like.

Buff
01-06-2017, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure I heard that one yet. Did you listen to the cannibalism one? That was disturbing. SMILEY FACE... As was the one you mentioned about Luka. He was a sick MF'er. His picture on wiki is nothing what I pictured him to look like.

The pedophile ventriloquist who was chatting about cannibalism? That one was super weird.

BroncoJoe
01-06-2017, 03:09 PM
The pedophile ventriloquist who was chatting about cannibalism? That one was super weird.

Yep - that's the one.

MOtorboat
01-06-2017, 03:40 PM
I'm happy to report that Friday can commence.

Buff
01-06-2017, 04:01 PM
I'm happy to report that Friday can commence.

I'm pretty much done with Simmons - I unsubscribed a while back once I realized that I only listened to every 5th podcast of his these days. It's gotten to the point where I think I kind of dislike him.

MOtorboat
01-13-2017, 04:13 AM
The Gist. Just found it. The host was a guest on Effectively Wild.

Buff
02-06-2017, 02:57 PM
"Pod Save America" with the Keeping it 1600 guys is good, but we knew that from their prior pod and you have to be a smug Obama lover to enjoy it...

But their sister podcast "Pod Save the World" is actually quite good I'd think for non-partisans. They talk to Jake Sullivan, who was a policy guy in the Clinton and Obama admins and they get into some interesting behind the scenes stuff about the Iran negotiations. I found it to be quite good.

BroncoJoe
02-13-2017, 08:50 AM

Buff - did you listen to the one about Vince Li - the guy who decapitated another dude's head on a bus then ate parts of him?

He just got released from a Canadian psychiatric hospital, no longer subject to monitoring or any conditions.

Oh, Canada...

Buff
02-13-2017, 05:03 PM
Buff - did you listen to the one about Vince Li - the guy who decapitated another dude's head on a bus then ate parts of him?

He just got released from a Canadian psychiatric hospital, no longer subject to monitoring or any conditions.

Oh, Canada...

I hope someone decapitates that guy for the victim's poor mother. I can't believe he's getting out - we've got people locked up for life in the U.S. for selling drugs.

MOtorboat
02-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Another good interview on The Gist: David Frum.

Buff
02-28-2017, 02:05 PM
"Missing Richard Simmons" - Riveting. Not kidding.

BeefStew25
02-28-2017, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty much done with Simmons - I unsubscribed a while back once I realized that I only listened to every 5th podcast of his these days. It's gotten to the point where I think I kind of dislike him.

He is so whiny.

Buff
02-28-2017, 02:16 PM
He is so whiny.

He's whiny and out of touch.

I like it when he has Jimmy Kimmel and Cousin Sal on though because those two kind of gang up on him and you see him reveal his true inner pipsqueak.

BeefStew25
02-28-2017, 02:18 PM
He's whiny and out of touch.

I like it when he has Jimmy Kimmel and Cousin Sal on though because those two kind of gang up on him and you see him reveal his true inner pipsqueak.

He had some ringer hillary stream circle jerk set up election night. Like pre recorded. prolly the highlight of my night when he slunk off.

Buff
02-28-2017, 02:21 PM
He had some ringer hillary stream circle jerk set up election night. Like pre recorded. prolly the highlight of my night when he slunk off.

The Keeping it 1600 guys were his only successful spinoff pod and they left to start a new one, plus HBO cancelled his show. His days of being relevant are numbered.

This Richard Simmons podcast though. We need to get to the bottom of this thing.

MOtorboat
02-28-2017, 02:23 PM
Buff, you are now the third person I know to say this about this pod. Why should I listen to this?

Buff
02-28-2017, 02:28 PM
Buff, you are now the third person I know to say this about this pod. Why should I listen to this?

It draws you in immediately because the story is compelling - like, why did Richard Simmons drop off the face of the earth 3 years ago?

Plus you can tell the production quality is top notch, which after listening to a million podcasts you come to underestimate how much that is a factor. I just "know" when a podcast has me nowadays and this one got its hooks in.

MOtorboat
02-28-2017, 02:31 PM
It draws you in immediately because the story is compelling - like, why did Richard Simmons drop off the face of the earth 3 years ago?

Plus you can tell the production quality is top notch, which after listening to a million podcasts you come to underestimate how much that is a factor. I just "know" when a podcast has me nowadays and this one got its hooks in.

So its actually about Richard Simmons? I did not realize it. I thought it was a comedy podcast, or something.

Buff
02-28-2017, 02:33 PM
So its actually about Richard Simmons? I did not realize it. I thought it was a comedy podcast, or something.

Richard Simmons - the flaming poofy haired workout guy - withdrew from all social contact 3 years ago and nobody knows why. The podcast is about that.

slim
02-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Richard Simmons - the flaming poofy haired workout guy - withdrew from all social contact 3 years ago and nobody knows why. The podcast is about that.

Why would you care about that?

Hawgdriver
02-28-2017, 02:36 PM

Because it's a good story?

MOtorboat
02-28-2017, 02:39 PM

OK. I'm in. The first two episodes are downloading. This is on you.

Buff
02-28-2017, 02:40 PM

I know, I had the same thought after typing it. What a weird thing to listen to. I am always looking for random podcasts and it was #1 on iTunes so I checked it out and it's oddly compelling. Now I must know more about Richard Simmons life story.

Hawgdriver
02-28-2017, 02:45 PM
OK. I'm in. The first two episodes are downloading. This is on you.

Same.

MOtorboat
02-28-2017, 02:54 PM
I know, I had the same thought after typing it. What a weird thing to listen to. I am always looking for random podcasts and it was #1 on iTunes so I checked it out and it's oddly compelling. Now I must know more about Richard Simmons life story.

Ok I'm all in.

Slick
02-28-2017, 03:03 PM
When do you listen to podcasts? When you are driving to and from work?

Buff
02-28-2017, 03:12 PM

Yes, I have a 45-60 minute drive to and from work... But I also listen to them at work, in the shower or when I'm working around the house.

MOtorboat
02-28-2017, 03:27 PM

I have a lot of time at work where I'm not talking to people. I also have to do some driving for work and I'll listen to them when I get home late at night and there's nothing on TV.

BroncoJoe
02-28-2017, 04:32 PM
I have a lot of time at work where I'm not talking to people. I also have to do some driving for work and I'll listen to them when I get home late at night and there's nothing on TV.

And you don't work Mondays.

:couch:

MOtorboat
02-28-2017, 04:35 PM
And you don't work Mondays.

:couch:

Why are you hiding? I don't.

BroncoJoe
02-28-2017, 05:01 PM
Why are you hiding? I don't.

Because you're a mean midget and I'm afraid of you.

MOtorboat
02-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Buff. All in. Strangely captivating. I'm all in on the dog theory.

BeefStew25
02-28-2017, 05:38 PM
I think Richard is tranny.

Buff
02-28-2017, 05:41 PM
Buff. All in. Strangely captivating. I'm all in on the dog theory.

I mean I understand the dogs sending you into a deep depression - but withdrawing from public life all together and not communicating with seemingly close friends at all? Weird. Of course - it's probably going to lead nowhere and we will have wasted like 4-5 hours of our lives for no reason.

BroncoJoe
02-28-2017, 05:42 PM
I think Richard is tranny.

I find him compellingly interesting.

No Homo.

MOtorboat
02-28-2017, 05:51 PM
I mean I understand the dogs sending you into a deep depression - but withdrawing from public life all together and not communicating with seemingly close friends at all? Weird. Of course - it's probably going to lead nowhere and we will have wasted like 4-5 hours of our lives for no reason.

But is there any point in which you've ever seen Richard Simmons and not thought, "that dude's pretty weird"?

BroncoJoe
02-28-2017, 05:53 PM
But is there any point in which you've ever seen Richard Simmons and thought, "that dude's pretty weird"?

Nice edit.

I was like, WTF MO?

Buff
02-28-2017, 05:54 PM
But is there any point in which you've never seen Richard Simmons and thought, "that dude's pretty weird"?

Fair, but in this instance when I say weird, I mean that it's abnormal even by his standards of behavior. I'm eager to hear about who called the cops in episode 3.

MOtorboat
02-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Nice edit.

I was like, WTF MO?

Sorry. I'm on my phone.

MOtorboat
02-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Fair, but in this instance when I say weird, I mean that it's abnormal even by his standards of behavior. I'm eager to hear about who called the cops in episode 3.

I am too. The relationship with whatever this lady actually is, is, well, weird.

Hawgdriver
02-28-2017, 06:14 PM
It's interesting but I might forget to listen to episode 3. The narrator paints his subject in overly flattering tones. He's crushing pretty hard on him. Weird and interesting but also somehow too trivial.

Buff
03-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Jimmy and Cousin Sal on Bill Simmons recapping the Oscars is pretty good, and I didn't watch the Oscars.

Also - Yuval Harari, author of Sapiens, on the Ezra Klein podcast is really good. Lots of forward looking, future of humanity stuff that is interesting coming from people much more informed than I.

MOtorboat
03-02-2017, 02:37 PM
It's interesting but I might forget to listen to episode 3. The narrator paints his subject in overly flattering tones. He's crushing pretty hard on him. Weird and interesting but also somehow too trivial.

I don't see it as a fatal flaw. He's not trying to be objective and he isn't hiding that.

BroncoNut
03-02-2017, 02:39 PM

he is being held hostage by his housekeeper I heard

BeefStew25
03-02-2017, 05:52 PM
I don't see it as a fatal flaw. He's not trying to be objective and he isn't hiding that.

So like you.

Buff
03-02-2017, 06:24 PM
he is being held hostage by his housekeeper I heard

Yes she sounds like quite the bitch.

Buff
03-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Looks like this Richard Simmons podcast is going to devolve into the typical dead-end, low content snooze fest that most aspiring multi-part podcasts do nowadays.

MOtorboat
03-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Looks like this Richard Simmons podcast is going to devolve into the typical dead-end, low content snooze fest that most aspiring multi-part podcasts do nowadays.

This episode left me wondering if they recorded and released the first two episodes without resolving the project and didn't know if there'd be a resolution.

Buff
03-08-2017, 01:27 PM
This episode left me wondering if they recorded and released the first two episodes without resolving the project and didn't know if there'd be a resolution.

Reminds me of Season 2 of Serial - just a long meandering incomplete story that led nowhere with lots of filler interviews along the way. Same with most true crime podcasts.

Hawgdriver
03-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Reminds me of Season 2 of Serial - just a long meandering incomplete story that led nowhere with lots of filler interviews along the way. Same with most true crime podcasts.

I like to wait until series are over before I begin.

Buff
03-09-2017, 11:53 AM

Same, but my voracious podcast consumption often doesn't allow for that anymore. Someone really ought to take the Netflix approach and dump a whole season out there. The weekly release cadence is so 1990s.

MOtorboat
03-13-2017, 12:26 AM
I think I've mentioned Crimetown, but in case I haven't, Buff, this is one you should like.

Buff
03-14-2017, 03:46 PM
Whoa Zach Lowe on Bill Simmons pod today. I've been waiting for this since Grantland folded. There is no way this pod can live up to my expectations.

BeefStew25
03-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Simmons sucks.

Buff
03-14-2017, 04:05 PM
Simmons sucks.

Yeah, he mostly does, but I would listen to Zach Lowe talk about anything. And Simmons kind of left him hanging at GL and I always got the impression Lowe might be a tiny bit bitter towards BS.

Buff
03-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Richard Simmons epilogue:

http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2017/03/21/520943717/missing-richard-simmons-and-the-nature-of-being-known

http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/3/21/14978658/missing-richard-simmons-controversy

MOtorboat
03-21-2017, 01:21 PM
I listened to it yesterday. I'm still not sure what to think of it all. It was interesting. I will say that.

I have a hard time saying that that podcast, which seemed to actually have a sense of humanity and general curiosity, is the general line for celebrity space invasion. In the end, he even backed off. If we want to have discussion about celebrity space invasion that conversation needs to be centered around tabloid paparazzi and TMZ-style reporting rather than someone generally wondering what happened to someone, even if a couple incidents could be seen as crossing a line.

Buff
03-21-2017, 01:58 PM
I listened to it yesterday. I'm still not sure what to think of it all. It was interesting. I will say that.

I have a hard time saying that that podcast, which seemed to actually have a sense of humanity and general curiosity, is the general line for celebrity space invasion. In the end, he even backed off. If we want to have discussion about celebrity space invasion that conversation needs to be centered around tabloid paparazzi and TMZ-style reporting rather than someone generally wondering what happened to someone, even if a couple incidents could be seen as crossing a line.

Yeah I'm kind of torn too. I think his intentions were mostly genuine. I am curious what he cut out of episode 6 - it seems he had a bit of a mea culpa. I agree with Vox's criticism that I might have liked to see him be a little more introspective about whether this was the right thing to do... I also sensed that he was genuinely a little downtrodden about how it all turned out.

It was a memorable and entertaining podcast so I don't even regret the fact that it led nowhere.

BroncoJoe
03-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Celebrity space invasion?

uh, LOL.

Buff
03-28-2017, 10:05 AM
Joe - Serial has a new pod out called S-Town.... Just dropped today - and they actually started with 7 episodes so you can binge!

MOtorboat
03-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Joe - Serial has a new pod out called S-Town.... Just dropped today - and they actually started with 7 episodes so you can binge!

I just read be description. It reads like the story is fiction.

Buff
03-28-2017, 10:58 AM
I just read be description. It reads like the story is fiction.

I didn't even read up on it. Just dove in with no expectations. Halfway through episode 1 I am intrigued.

BroncoJoe
03-29-2017, 09:22 AM

We actually listened to the first four episodes on the way back from Santa Fe yesterday. Good stuff.

Buff
03-29-2017, 09:35 AM
We actually listened to the first four episodes on the way back from Santa Fe yesterday. Good stuff.

I'm through episode 5. Not really sure what to think or where this is headed, but I'm enjoying it.

BroncoJoe
03-29-2017, 10:30 AM
I googled Woodstock, AL to see if I could find the maze!

BroncoJoe
03-30-2017, 03:42 PM

MOtorboat
05-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Jonah Keri.

His most recent is an interview with Ryan Harris.

MOtorboat
05-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Buff, have you been listening to Crimetown?

Buff
05-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Buff, have you been listening to Crimetown?

I think I'm back on Chapter 12. While I really enjoy it, I find that the key players kind of run together for me. Without having a visual - they all just sound like east coast mob dudes. And I listen just infrequently enough that I kind of forget where I'm at in the story...

But it is very good. I am endlessly fascinated by any organized crime related movies/shows/etc.

I like the theme music.

slim
05-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Did you guys ever get the scoop on Dick Simmons?

MOtorboat
05-10-2017, 04:14 PM
I think I'm back on Chapter 12. While I really enjoy it, I find that the key players kind of run together for me. Without having a visual - they all just sound like east coast mob dudes. And I listen just infrequently enough that I kind of forget where I'm at in the story...

But it is very good. I am endlessly fascinated by any organized crime related movies/shows/etc.

I like the theme music.

Agreed on all accounts, although I just listened to Chapter 18, which is the end of season one. I hope there's a season two. It was pretty good and I didn't know anything about Providence's seedy nature.

MOtorboat
05-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Did you guys ever get the scoop on Dick Simmons?

What do you mean? Are you still insisting he's a reporter?

slim
05-10-2017, 04:16 PM

What?

Buff
05-10-2017, 04:19 PM

Not William Simmons. Dick Simmons.

What?

It ended mostly without resolution. I think he just got tired of keeping up with the charade of the persona he'd established. Kind of unofficially retired from it all.

MOtorboat
05-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Oh, yeah, my bad. That pod was a giant let down.

slim
05-10-2017, 04:23 PM
A giant let down?

That is surprising.

Buff
05-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Oh, yeah, my bad. That pod was a giant let down.

The lack of resolution was disappointing - but it was a cultural phenomenon and I think there was strong entertainment value. Katie Couric had the dude who made it on her podcast a few weeks ago - that was a good listen too.

slim
05-10-2017, 04:29 PM
I remember when you guys used to be cool.

Buff
05-16-2017, 09:59 AM
I find myself liking the Ezra Klein show more and more. He had on Anna Sale who hosts the "Death , Sex + Money" podcast. So that subsequently got me into her podcast, which is pretty good.

As an aside on that - she had Dominique Foxworth on her podcast twice, but I haven't gotten to those episodes yet. I suspect they're compelling given that the rest of her content seems to be pretty good.

Hawgdriver
05-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Creepy.

MO, take a listen.

MOtorboat
05-28-2017, 07:07 PM
Creepy.

MO, take a listen.

???

Hawgdriver
05-28-2017, 07:22 PM
???

That's the name of the podcast, Creepy.

MOtorboat
05-28-2017, 07:30 PM
That's the name of the podcast, Creepy.

Ah. I will do so.

Hawgdriver
05-28-2017, 07:32 PM
It's Pontypool-esque. You'll see what I mean.

MOtorboat
05-28-2017, 07:42 PM
A teen age douche bag is yelling curse words at me. Why did you think this was my thing?

Hawgdriver
05-28-2017, 08:38 PM
A teen age douche bag is yelling curse words at me. Why did you think this was my thing?

What? Same podcast?

MOtorboat
05-28-2017, 08:47 PM
What? Same podcast?

Hahaha. No. I just clicked the first one on the list that came up by creepy. I was like, "WTF?"

Hawgdriver
05-28-2017, 08:52 PM
It's this one.

http://www.smalltownhorrorpodcast.com/creepy/

MOtorboat
05-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Yeah. I just listened to the first one. I am creeped out. I'm in.

BroncoNut
05-31-2017, 04:14 PM

I'm that way too.

Buff
06-01-2017, 01:33 PM
"On Being" with Krista Tippet - She had on Brian Greene, Columbia University Physicist. Lots of really fascinating existential stuff. Hawg is probably familiar with some of his work already. He does a good job breaking down super complex ideas.

Also have been getting more into "Death, Sex and Money" - the Alec Baldwin one is good... But I prefer the ones with non-celebrities where she's soliciting opinions from listeners.

MOtorboat
06-06-2017, 10:02 PM
GM Street, on the Ringer's NFL feed is outstanding.

Hawgdriver
06-06-2017, 11:19 PM
"On Being" with Krista Tippet - She had on Brian Greene, Columbia University Physicist. Lots of really fascinating existential stuff. Hawg is probably familiar with some of his work already. He does a good job breaking down super complex ideas.

Also have been getting more into "Death, Sex and Money" - the Alec Baldwin one is good... But I prefer the ones with non-celebrities where she's soliciting opinions from listeners.

I listened to the Greene episode. Not a huge fan of him. Something about him rubs me the wrong way, but at the same time, I like his work.

MOtorboat
06-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Not a pod (although it could be), but some true crime reading for your lunch break:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/07/nyregion/unsolved-harlem-murder.html?_r=0

MOtorboat
06-08-2017, 12:56 PM
I skipped Simmons' pod when he had Charlemagne on it because I didn't know who he was. I just listened to his conversation with Larry Wilmore. He's really fascinating.

MOtorboat
06-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Joe Buck is one of the more interesting sports commentators off the broadcast. He's on Golf Digest pod today in advance of the US Open. Interesting conversation. Only about 25 minutes.

MOtorboat
06-16-2017, 02:54 PM
GM Street talking Broncos today.

Buff
06-16-2017, 03:04 PM
GM Street talking Broncos today.

I haven't checked this show out yet, but am a Lombardi fan generally speaking, so will give this one a look.

MOtorboat
06-16-2017, 03:06 PM
He's not high on the Broncos. Quarterbacks specifically.

BeefStew25
06-17-2017, 05:23 PM
I haven't checked this show out yet, but am a Lombardi fan generally speaking, so will give this one a look.

He's a douche Pats fanboi

Buff
06-21-2017, 04:33 PM
Malcolm Gladwell launched his next season of Revisionist History and the first episode is great. His content is in another league from most. So smart.

John Grisham on the Longform podcast was pretty cool.

"Ponzi Supernova" was an interesting 6-parter because he actually speaks with Bernie Madoff in prison, but it's one of those you wish was better. A good idea poorly executed.

MOtorboat
06-23-2017, 10:29 PM
Malcolm Gladwell launched his next season of Revisionist History and the first episode is great. His content is in another league from most. So smart.

Second episode. Damn good.

aberdien
06-24-2017, 10:19 AM
I've never really been that into podcasts, but I like listening to interviews with people who I like.

The Fifth Column - This is the only podcast I listen to regularly. It an hour and a half long libertarianish take on the news of the week which I like even though i'm not that libertarian anymore. If you ever watched The Independents on Fox Business before it ended, it uses pretty much the same people. Matt Welch (editor of Reason magazine), Kmele Foster (cohosted The Independents), and Michael Moynihan (he's the one who did the VICE video about Evergreen College and free speech). These dudes have been in my sphere for probably 5 years now from seeing them on TV and twitter, so they are personalities that I like and find funny and interesting even if I may disagree with them at times. I would recommend this to people like MO, Hawg, Chazoe, Shane, perhaps NTL, and if you just like listening to people talking shit about politics for an hour. Their most recent episode they talk about Philando Castile, Otto Warmbier, and Evergreen College and it was a really interesting episode.

http://wethefifth.com/

WTF w/Marc Maron - good whenever there's somebody I like on there
Turned Out a Punk - Basically famous or semi-famous people who were influenced by punk talk about punk music for an hour. A little too niche sometimes. I've only listened to a handful of them because I don't know most of the people he interviews, but he's had Bourdain, Craig Ferguson, David Cross, and some others on.

I like to listen to political interviews but I haven't found one I like that much.

MOtorboat
06-25-2017, 12:58 PM

John Grisham on the Longform podcast was pretty cool.

"Ponzi Supernova" was an interesting 6-parter because he actually speaks with Bernie Madoff in prison, but it's one of those you wish was better. A good idea poorly executed.

I don't think Gladwell's math is correct in his first episode.

The club could be sold for $9 billion. I don't think if it was private parkland, i.e. "best use," that it would receive a $9 billion valuation.

Even if you assume it's best use is actually housing, if you managed to get 200 homes on that plot at the average valuation (google search) in Brentwood, the property valuation would be $95 million. That's nowhere near $9 billion, it's about 10 percent of it.

Meaning, they are short on taxes, but not by $8.8 million, but rather about $600,000.

MOtorboat
06-30-2017, 01:35 PM
My biggest criticism of Zach Lowe is that he goes to the Ramona Shelbourne and Kevin Arnovitz well too often. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to listen, especially to he and Arnovitz, but I'd like to see some variety.

Buff
06-30-2017, 01:46 PM
My biggest criticism of Zach Lowe is that he goes to the Ramona Shelbourne and Kevin Arnovitz well too often. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to listen, especially to he and Arnovitz, but I'd like to see some variety.

I thought the pod with Shelbourne was good. She's won me over - I thought she was trying too hard on some prior pods. I kind of agree with you but then he'll have like a Toronto beat writer on and I'm not interested and wish it was one of his regulars... Same with his player interviews.

My gripe with Lowe is that he wants to be liked by front office types and players too much. He'll never say anything too critical.

MOtorboat
06-30-2017, 01:58 PM
I thought the pod with Shelbourne was good. She's won me over - I thought she was trying too hard on some prior pods. I kind of agree with you but then he'll have like a Toronto beat writer on and I'm not interested and wish it was one of his regulars... Same with his player interviews.

My gripe with Lowe is that he wants to be liked by front office types and players too much. He'll never say anything too critical.

I would like to see him bring on Tom Haberstroh.

Buff
06-30-2017, 01:59 PM
I would like to see him bring on Tom Haberstroh.

Yeah, he's good. I think he had him on a while back, no?

MOtorboat
06-30-2017, 02:25 PM
Yeah, he's good. I think he had him on a while back, no?

Probably. I really like True Hoop (TBA now) because they go off topic and it's a fun listen. But I also like most of their voices on basketball subjects as well, and I think that's where Lowe comes in because he can focus them as the host.

MOtorboat
07-05-2017, 07:27 PM
Buff ... Pat Mayo?

Buff
07-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Buff ... Pat Mayo?

I like Mayo - he was the first golf touts I discovered as I was looking for help making rosters. I usually watch his videos about the majors because he'll have like 4-5 experts from around the DFS industry on. My only gripe is that he does his stuff so far in advance that it becomes dated quickly. Like he's probably releasing his Top 10 RBs and stuff now - so by the time the season rolls around everything has shifted a bit.

MOtorboat
07-06-2017, 10:58 AM
I like Mayo - he was the first golf touts I discovered as I was looking for help making rosters. I usually watch his videos about the majors because he'll have like 4-5 experts from around the DFS industry on. My only gripe is that he does his stuff so far in advance that it becomes dated quickly. Like he's probably releasing his Top 10 RBs and stuff now - so by the time the season rolls around everything has shifted a bit.

I listened to it for the first time yesterday and liked their golf pod. I did hear him mention trying to do the Open pod Sunday night or Monday morning and not knowing whether prices will be out yet. That seems kind of useless, but I liked it for entertainment value. I skipped his pop culture/life pod yesterday.

BroncoJoe
07-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Last Podcast On The Left: Episode 274 & 275 re: Oklahoma City.

The guys doing the podcast are a bit annoying (laughing and joking about stuff that isn't all that funny), but I learned a few things that I didn't know before.

We listened to both episodes on the way back home from the cabin yesterday.

Buff
07-06-2017, 12:15 PM
I listened to it for the first time yesterday and liked their golf pod. I did hear him mention trying to do the Open pod Sunday night or Monday morning and not knowing whether prices will be out yet. That seems kind of useless, but I liked it for entertainment value. I skipped his pop culture/life pod yesterday.

I've actually never heard his podcast - I've always just watched the YouTube videos of the Pay Mayo Hour... Not sure if they're the same in different formats or if the pod is separate. His golf content is definitely his best offering.

Last Podcast On The Left: Episode 274 & 275 re: Oklahoma City.

The guys doing the podcast are a bit annoying (laughing and joking about stuff that isn't all that funny), but I learned a few things that I didn't know before.

We listened to both episodes on the way back home from the cabin yesterday.

I've heard this one come up a few times - seems like maybe I downloaded one but didn't stick with it... What's their angle?

MOtorboat
07-06-2017, 12:43 PM
I've actually never heard his podcast - I've always just watched the YouTube videos of the Pay Mayo Hour... Not sure if they're the same in different formats or if the pod is separate. His golf content is definitely his best offering.

I think it's just the audio form of the YouTube.

BroncoJoe
07-06-2017, 01:28 PM

I've heard this one come up a few times - seems like maybe I downloaded one but didn't stick with it... What's their angle?

They talk about really interesting subjects, but I get annoyed about all the joking around and laughter regarding some sensitive subjects. My wife thinks I'm too critical, but when you joke about the woman holding onto a severed hand for comfort after the OKC bombing, it's a bit over the top for me.

In their defense, they do excellent research and have a lot of "unknown" facts.

They do discuss interesting topics though. I could do without all the clowning around.

MOtorboat
07-07-2017, 02:00 AM
Everyone should listen to Malcolm Gladwell's latest edition of Revisionist History.

DenBronx
07-07-2017, 02:25 AM
I really enjoy Joe Rogans podcast. He is a pretty interesting dude.

MOtorboat
07-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Ask and you shall receive, Haberstroh on Lowe Post.

Buff
07-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Everyone should listen to Malcolm Gladwell's latest edition of Revisionist History.

He's just so profoundly good at his job that it's staggering. Both of the last two were great.

Hawgdriver
07-07-2017, 01:28 PM
I really enjoy Joe Rogans podcast. He is a pretty interesting dude.

Same.

Buff
07-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Same.

I've only listened to a couple - and they were just a little too meandering for me. I love Joe Rogan and I love longform anything - but at some point I desire a little more structure to the conversation.

Are there any in particular that I should check out? I think the last one I listened to was Maynard.

Hawgdriver
07-07-2017, 01:36 PM
I've only listened to a couple - and they were just a little too meandering for me. I love Joe Rogan and I love longform anything - but at some point I desire a little more structure to the conversation.

Are there any in particular that I should check out? I think the last one I listened to was Maynard.

I haven't listened to many, and can't recall the guests. One was a comedian. With as many episodes as he has, there are bound to be many snoozers. Was the Maynard one any good?

DenBronx
07-07-2017, 01:49 PM
The one with Dan Bizilian is pretty good. Dude got rich off of gambling. Now he is living this baller life, slept with 1000s of women and is basically a modern day hugh heftner. But...he went through hell week trying to become a Navy Seal with a broken leg.

But I recommend listening to the highlight clips and then decide if you want to watch the whole podcast.

Joe reminds me a little bit of Howard Stern but way more diverse and interesting.

Hawgdriver
07-07-2017, 01:51 PM
The one with Dan Bizilian is pretty good. Dude got rich off of gambling. Now he is living this baller life, slept with 1000s of women and is basically a modern day hugh heftner. But...he went through hell week trying to become a Navy Seal with a broken leg.

But I recommend listening to the highlight clips and then decide if you want to watch the whole podcast.

Joe reminds me a little bit of Howard Stern but way more diverse and interesting.

I appreciate his empirical mysticism.

DenBronx
07-07-2017, 01:54 PM
The one with Iliza Schlesinger is good too. Her relationships were kind of funny. She kinda got catfished. I met her at a comedy club one night, got a hug and photo. This was right when she became famous. I was so drunk that night. Lol

Buff
07-11-2017, 06:58 PM
I haven't listened to many, and can't recall the guests. One was a comedian. With as many episodes as he has, there are bound to be many snoozers. Was the Maynard one any good?

Well it's basically the only extended Maynard interview I've ever heard. So it was interesting on many levels.

Buff
07-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Just listened to Alton Brown on "The Moment with Brian Koppelman" - really excellent. I didn't realize that Koppelman is the co-creator of Billions... I think I randomly downloaded his pod last year because he had Daniel Negreanu on.

Anyway - I never even really watched Good Eats when it was on Food Network. I remember Brown from Iron Chef, but am only vaguely familiar with him... But the pod was a great listen because they are both incisive.

Valar Morghulis
07-12-2017, 08:42 AM
Truth and iliza with Jim Jefferies.

Just discovered this podcast business!!!

Valar Morghulis
07-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Listening to Malcolm Gladwell revisionist history, season one.

Satire.

It is very interesting.

I do hate the commercial format on podcasts though, having the host read a script just sounds cheap and shit

MOtorboat
07-12-2017, 11:50 AM

Satire.

It is very interesting.

I do hate the commercial format on podcasts though, having the host read a script just sounds cheap and shit

I listen to a few podcasts that have regular radio ads and those sound even stranger. I live with the ads and scroll through many.

MOtorboat
07-12-2017, 11:54 AM
My podcast menu today appears to be a shit ton of baseball and Pod Save the World.

Buff
07-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Satire.

It is very interesting.

I almost always use my "advance 30 seconds" button to get through commercials. I have a pretty good feel for my favorite pods whether they have 30 second commercials, or 2 minute windows, etc.

Funny enough though I was listening to Malcolm's pod this season and thinking to myself that because he intro's it with a Chanel commercial (who has a british female narrating it) it does sound much less cheap than having him do some Chanel live read, which would seem hokie.

Valar Morghulis
07-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Just starting Joe Rogan with judd apatow.... So far so good

He even makes the ads funny

Buff
07-12-2017, 11:58 AM
"Masters of Scale" with Reid Hoffman is one I got turned onto by the Tim Ferris pod. Highly recommend "The Ten Commandments of Startup Success" and the one with Google's Eric Schmidt about his management philosophies for anyone with a passing interest in business.

MOtorboat
07-12-2017, 02:07 PM
The Infinite Inning from Steven Goldman. He's kind of a journeyman baseball writer, but the podcast is unique and thoughtful.

BeefStew25
07-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Corolla and Geragos is pretty good. Inside baseball on the legal system is great.

MOtorboat
07-13-2017, 04:28 PM
Gladwell did it again. That was fascinating.

MOtorboat
07-20-2017, 05:10 PM
Buff, I'm curious about your thoughts on today's Malcolm Gladwell.

Buff
07-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Buff, I'm curious about your thoughts on today's Malcolm Gladwell.

It seemed too trivial to me based on his intro - the hook about why country music is sadder than rock music felt like something I had no interest in exploring this morning, so I didn't get past the first 5 minutes. I'll get to it eventually. What did you think?

MOtorboat
07-20-2017, 06:26 PM
It seemed too trivial to me based on his intro - the hook about why country music is sadder than rock music felt like something I had no interest in exploring this morning, so I didn't get past the first 5 minutes. I'll get to it eventually. What did you think?

It was interesting in the sense that I think he's right. I think old country connects with its subject better than old rock and roll and can resonate more emotionally with an individual. What I think he leaves out of the equation is that so much early rock and roll and through the 1970s, which is kind of the eras he's examining in country music, rock and roll's emotional connection was not in its ability to make someone cry or feel strong sentimental or sad emotions, but rather for shock and exhilaration and the pure joy of being loud as shit.

Hawgdriver
07-20-2017, 06:28 PM
Now I want to listen. What's the podcast called? Gladbags and Handwells?

MOtorboat
07-20-2017, 06:30 PM
Now I want to listen. What's the podcast called? Gladbags and Handwells?

Yeah. That's it. Enter that into your search bar on the podcasts app...

Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History. I'm surprised you don't already listen to it.

Hawgdriver
07-20-2017, 06:34 PM
Yeah. That's it. Enter that into your search bar on the podcasts app...

Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History. I'm surprised you don't already listen to it.

I'm close. Your comments have swayed me. Like Mayor recommending Peaky Blinders. Turns out it's decent, worth the time.

aberdien
07-22-2017, 12:27 AM
I'm about to listen to the Malcolm Gladwell podcast about country music whatever.

I am sure I will have thoughts to post afterwards.

aberdien
07-22-2017, 01:39 AM
My thoughts after the pod:

-Country music is great
-George Jones is the go to "here's some whiskey now go be sad" music
-Country is sad in an earnest kind of way
-Gladwell's disrespect of "Like A Rolling Stone" offends me
-Music is subjective

Timmy!
07-22-2017, 01:55 AM
My thoughts after the pod:

-Country music is great
-George Jones is the go to "here's some whiskey now go be sad" music
-Country is sad in an earnest kind of way
-Gladwell's disrespect of "Like A Rolling Stone" offends me
-Music is subjective

Worst book report ever. Your 1st and last points are contradicting. C-

aberdien
07-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Worst book report ever. Your 1st and last points are contradicting. C-

Music is subjective; my opinion however is objective.

Buff
07-27-2017, 01:48 PM
I'm annoyed that the one episode of Malcolm that I have no interest in is the one that you guys decided to all listen to and post about...

Anyway - the latest one is great per the usual, but maddening/heartbreaking.

MOtorboat
07-27-2017, 01:50 PM
I'm annoyed that the one episode of Malcolm that I have no interest in is the one that you guys decided to all listen to and post about...

It's not like the podcast went away. You could listen and join the conversation!

I have the new one on the list for today.

Buff
07-27-2017, 01:53 PM
It's not like the podcast went away. You could listen and join the conversation!

I have the new one on the list for today.

It just doesn't fit with the season for me... Like all of these others are about race, power and justice - listening to one talking about why country music is sad has almost no appeal to me. But I'll probably circle back to it eventually because I'm a Malcolm fan boi.

MOtorboat
07-27-2017, 01:55 PM
It just doesn't fit with the season for me... Like all of these others are about race, power and justice - listening to one talking about why country music is sad has almost no appeal to me. But I'll probably circle back to it eventually because I'm a Malcolm fan boi.

I felt like the golf one was pretty inconsequential. Plus his facts sucked.

Buff
07-27-2017, 02:11 PM
I felt like the golf one was pretty inconsequential. Plus his facts sucked.

Yeah that one was kind of trivial too - except the tax angle would get my pretty worked up if I lived in LA.

aberdien
07-27-2017, 02:25 PM
I don't like Gladwell's voice. Or Canadian accent. And the rest of the episodes don't sound interesting to me.

Valar Morghulis
07-27-2017, 02:52 PM
I listened to the season one episode on satire.

Average.

Joe Rogan on the other hand is rocking my podcast world

MOtorboat
07-27-2017, 04:06 PM

Excellent.

MOtorboat
07-30-2017, 11:43 PM
I need some NFL podcasts. I subscribe to the Ringer's NFL feed, but that's it. Suggestions welcome.

Buff
07-31-2017, 10:08 AM
I need some NFL podcasts. I subscribe to the Ringer's NFL feed, but that's it. Suggestions welcome.

The Around the NFL Podcast is my year-round staple. But I don't always listen. Then most of the rest are fantasy football podcasts.

MOtorboat
08-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Vance Joseph is on Peter King's pod today.

Buff
08-08-2017, 11:59 AM
I am unreasonably excited to listen to Colorado Senator Michael Bennet on the latest Ezra Klein episode.

MOtorboat
08-09-2017, 01:44 PM
I like Peter King's podcast. Does he do the longform interviews all season?

Buff
08-09-2017, 01:56 PM
I like Peter King's podcast. Does he do the longform interviews all season?

Peter King wears on me with his golly-gee pollyanna approach to writing. The pod is good though? I've never listened to it.

MOtorboat
08-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Peter King wears on me with his golly-gee pollyanna approach to writing. The pod is good though? I've never listened to it.

The last two weeks (two episodes, only time I've listened) it's been two 30-minute interviews. Khalil Mack and Vance Joseph last week, Ty Montgomery and Anthony Lynn this week. A lot like Woj's pod in the NBA.

Buff
08-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Bill Barnwell's AFC West preview pod is out. He has Lindsay Jones on.

Spoiler - he predicts 7-9 for us with the defense taking a small step backward and the offense taking a small step forward.

MOtorboat
08-30-2017, 02:32 PM

I'm not huge on his TV and radio spots and I don't read his column, but the long form interviews on his podcast I really enjoy.

Adam Viniatieri, Rich McKay and Arthur Blank this week.

Buff
09-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Ray Dalio on The Tim Ferriss Show.

:ear: Hawg.

Hawgdriver
09-13-2017, 11:09 PM
Ray Dalio on The Tim Ferriss Show.

:ear: Hawg.

Was it good?

Buff
09-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Was it good?

I'm only about 1/2 way through but so far so good. I like his "pain + reflection = progress" tenet.

Buff
09-14-2017, 11:35 AM
I'm only about 1/2 way through but so far so good. I like his "pain + reflection = progress" tenet.

Update: Dense and plodding but tremendous. I think I like the 2nd half better when they get a little more technical and dive into some of his philosophies.

MOtorboat
09-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Time to delve back into Lowe Post: Kevin Arnovitz today.

Buff
09-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Time to delve back into Lowe Post: Kevin Arnovitz today.

God his off season pods have all been terrible. Now I know why he rotates the same 3-4 guests all season. Hopefully he can get back on track with Arnovitz.

The WSJ guy put me to sleep. Jackie MacMullan was a snooze fest... I thought Ian Eagle would be great because I love him but they didn't have anything to talk about.

Couple random recommendations: "Ear Hustle" - prison podcast made in San Quentin. "Stay Tuned" with Preet Bahara, former US Attorney that Trump fired.

MOtorboat
09-26-2017, 05:37 PM
God his off season pods have all been terrible. Now I know why he rotates the same 3-4 guests all season. Hopefully he can get back on track with Arnovitz.

The WSJ guy put me to sleep. Jackie MacMullan was a snooze fest... I thought Ian Eagle would be great because I love him but they didn't have anything to talk about.

Couple random recommendations: "Ear Hustle" - prison podcast made in San Quentin. "Stay Tuned" with Preet Bahara, former US Attorney that Trump fired.

Arnovitz meanders a little on society, politics and Pop, and it's great. I haven't listened to the basketball stuff in the second half yet.

I did not listen in the summer. Same with Woj's. I set the NBA aside for a few months.

MOtorboat
10-16-2017, 04:38 PM
Attn: Joe

Hanson is on Tiny Desk Concerts.

Buff
10-17-2017, 10:31 AM
"Dirty John"

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-dirty-john/

NightTrainLayne
10-17-2017, 10:52 AM
"Dirty John"

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-dirty-john/

Have you listened to the entire series?

Buff
10-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Have you listened to the entire series?

I'm on episode 4 - you?

NightTrainLayne
10-17-2017, 10:59 AM
I'm on episode 4 - you?

None. Trying to figure out if it's worth getting into. I mean, based on that write up it's obvious the guy is a con artist. There's not much of a surprise. . . it's just, how bad does it get?

I have gotten into listening to some podcasts while exercising in the evenings. This thread has been helpful. :salute:

Hawgdriver
10-17-2017, 02:40 PM
Good one.

Buff
10-17-2017, 03:05 PM
None. Trying to figure out if it's worth getting into. I mean, based on that write up it's obvious the guy is a con artist. There's not much of a surprise. . . it's just, how bad does it get?

I have gotten into listening to some podcasts while exercising in the evenings. This thread has been helpful. :salute:

I didn't read the write up at all... Just saw someone comparing it to S-town and Serial on twitter, so dove in cold with no background. I'm enjoying it so far.

What pods have you enjoyed?