PDA

View Full Version : Siemian wins AFC Offensive Player of the Week

VonDoom
09-28-2016, 08:26 AM
DENVER -- Trevor Siemian was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week after his four-touchdown, 300-yard performance against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday.

The honor, which is the first of Siemian’s young career, was announced Wednesday morning on NFL Network’s “Good Morning Football.”

The second-year quarterback helped lead the Broncos to a 29-17 win over the Bengals on the road behind his four touchdowns, 312 yards and zero interceptions. Siemian also recorded a 132.1 quarterback rating for the game.

He became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw for four touchdowns, 300 yards and no interceptions in his first career road start, and Siemian’s performance marked only the third time a Broncos quarterback recorded that stat line. Peyton Manning did it twice in 2013 en route to an MVP award.

Siemian’s success came largely from deep completions to both Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas, who each finished the game with more than 100 receiving yards. Siemian first threw a 41-yard bomb to Sanders for the Broncos’ first touchdown. He later connected with Thomas for a 55-yard score that would put the game away.

Siemian joins Kansas City’s Marcus Peters and New England’s Ryan Allen as the AFC's Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week, respectively.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Trevor-Siemian-named-AFC-Offensive-Player-of-the-Week/de7671be-01e8-489f-9045-5440a2b1421d

Denver Native (Carol)
09-28-2016, 08:46 AM
That's great. Congrats Trevor

Bronco4ever
09-28-2016, 08:55 AM
May he win many more. :beer:

SoCalImport
09-28-2016, 08:59 AM
Well deserved.
His play has my expectations running high. When opposing defences have to honor the deep pass it makes everything else easier.

OrangeHoof
09-28-2016, 09:59 AM
How many weeks went by before Peyton Manning won his first AFC Player of the Week Award as a rookie?

Davii
09-28-2016, 10:20 AM
How many weeks went by before Peyton Manning won his first AFC Player of the Week Award as a rookie?

His first was week 11 in 1998. His stats that game (Vs. NYJ) were 26-44, 59.1%, 276 yds., 3 TDs, 2 INT, 81.2 rtg.

tripp
09-28-2016, 10:26 AM
Good job Trevor, hopefully you can build on that against Tampa this week. I hope he stays focused and doesn't try to do too much. Play within his capabilities and doesn't try to exceed his limitations.

BroncoJoe
09-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Good job Trevor, hopefully you can build on that against Tampa this week. I hope he stays focused and doesn't try to do too much. Play within his capabilities and doesn't try to exceed his limitations.

I may get bashed for this, but the kid is kind of Brady-like. Very confident, doesn't press, plays to his abilities and (it seems) very competent in the pocket.

slim
09-28-2016, 10:42 AM
I may get bashed for this, but the kid is kind of Brady-like. Very confident, doesn't press, plays to his abilities and (it seems) very competent in the pocket.

Shut your stupid effing mouth!

broncofaninfla
09-28-2016, 10:43 AM
Very happy for the kid, he was on fire the second half of the game. Denver has a chance of having two young starting caliber QB's on it's roster if Siemian continues to get better and shine and Lynch pans out. You just can't say enough about Elway, he continues to make the right moves. Congrats Siemian!

BroncoJoe
09-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Shut your stupid effing mouth!

I hate Brady as much as the next guy, but it's because he's damn good.

slim
09-28-2016, 10:51 AM
I hate Brady as much as the next guy, but it's because he's damn good.

I hate him because he is living a lie. I can't respect a guy like that.

BroncoJoe
09-28-2016, 11:04 AM
I hate him because he is living a lie. I can't respect a guy like that.

How about:

Siemian is Brady-like without the cheating?

tripp
09-28-2016, 11:15 AM

Only thing that gets me nervous about playing Tampa is the amount of hype surrounding Siemian by the media. Hope he isn't listening.

Canmore
09-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Only thing that gets me nervous about playing Tampa is the amount of hype surrounding Siemian by the media. Hope he isn't listening.

I've had the same thought cross my mind. I hope he is not reading his own press clippings.

BroncoJoe
09-28-2016, 11:21 AM

I've had the same thought cross my mind. I hope he is not reading his own press clippings.

He doesn't seem like the type.

VonDoom
09-28-2016, 11:27 AM

My thoughts exactly. There are some things to be worried about when playing the Bucs (which I'm sure we'll talk about as the game gets closer) but Siemian buying his own hype is not on that list.

Canmore
09-28-2016, 11:44 AM
My thoughts exactly. There are some things to be worried about when playing the Bucs (which I'm sure we'll talk about as the game gets closer) but Siemian buying his own hype is not on that list.

Agreed.

tripp
09-28-2016, 11:50 AM
I like to hope so too, as he is a 7th rounder, and 7th round picks don't seem to have much egos, and are generally quite humble.

TXBRONC
09-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Good job Trevor. It was well earned.

DenBronx
09-28-2016, 12:55 PM
He throws one of the tightest spirals I've seen in a long time. My only knock before game 3 was his timing with the WRs. That will all come with time and experience. Also, his composure and control of the huddle is excellent.

Going into this season many were worried about the QB position. Well, it looks to be a strength now.

Congrats to Trevor!

Canmore
09-28-2016, 02:19 PM
He throws one of the tightest spirals I've seen in a long time. My only knock before game 3 was his timing with the WRs. That will all come with time and experience. Also, his composure and control of the huddle is excellent.

Going into this season many were worried about the QB position. Well, it looks to be a strength now.

Congrats to Trevor!

He throws a beautiful ball.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-28-2016, 09:17 PM
His touchdown pass was like an echo through the space-time continuum. There is young Trevor Siemian in a deep drop near midfield, sidestepping a zone blitz, lofting up a long ball down the left side for a 51-yard score to a streaking receiver.

Siemian’s coming-of-age pass in the fourth quarter Sunday at Cincinnati to Demaryius Thomas looked remarkably similar to one he threw as a junior at Olympia High School in Orlando, Fla., in fall 2008. It’s right there on his prep-level scouting reel. The video is a little grainier and the uniforms a different shade. But it’s the same play the Broncos quarterback repeated again eight years later. Same calm demeanor. Same defensive read. Same olé play with the defensive rush. Same outcome.

“I’m not looking too far ahead or behind me, at all,” Siemian said Wednesday at Dove Valley.

But the NFL is looking. Siemian’s sudden spike, and his return “home” Sunday for the Broncos’ 2:05 p.m. kickoff against Tampa Bay at Raymond James Stadium, has a nation of football fans asking, “Where did this guy come from?” The answer will become clear this week.

AND

“When the game starts, that’s when you see how the young QBs show up,” Broncos veteran cornerback Aqib Talib said. “They throw some throws they don’t necessarily want to throw. You just don’t see that from Trev. He’s the same, exact guy from practice in a game. That tells me he’s ahead of the game.”

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/28/trevor-siemian-denver-broncos-quarterback/

Joel
09-29-2016, 03:25 AM
Well deserved.
His play has my expectations running high. When opposing defences have to honor the deep pass it makes everything else easier.
With all due respect, it's the other way around, which is what opened up the deep passes for Siemian: Forcing Cincy to stack the box left a pair of Pro Bowl WRs in single coverage, so all Siemian had to do was find them.

That's not to diminish his accomplishment in doing so; heaven knows we've had plenty of QBs incapable of that task, simple to understand but difficult to achieve. But it was consecutively solid rushing attacks against Carolina and Indy that provided him the opportunity to show his stuff. Cincy decided they wouldn't let themselves be beaten that way, and would instead challenge Siemian to beat them with his arm: So he exploited his chance to do just that.

It's easy to mistake Kubiak Ball for Martyball, but fundamental and radical differences lie behind their deceptively similar appearances. Martyball treats passing as last resort to avoid, where Kubiak (and, to be fair, many others) treat passing as an opportunity to cultivate. Stack the box on Marty and he'd STILL run Byner at you until 3rd down; do that to Kubiak and he'll throw a kill shot over your head, precisely as he should.

Three cheers for balanced offense and the "skill" players to execute it; now we just need to find 5 "unskilled" bums who can keep our QBs and RBs on their feet.

Joel
09-29-2016, 03:31 AM
One of the booth guys last week said of Booker the same thing I've been thinking for two weeks: When you fumble your first CAREER carry, you immediately become either the most sure-handed NFL RB or a FORMER NFL RB. I think it's the same deal when you're a sophomore 7th round QB who'd never had a snap in your CAREER before three weeks ago. IF Siemian blows it, it'll be because he lacks the physical tools, not brains nor maturity.

Canmore
09-29-2016, 03:32 AM
With all due respect, it's the other way around, which is what opened up the deep passes for Siemian: Forcing Cincy to stack the box left a pair of Pro Bowl WRs in single coverage, so all Siemian had to do was find them.

That's not to diminish his accomplishment in doing so; heaven knows we've had plenty of QBs incapable of that task, simple to understand but difficult to achieve. But it was consecutively solid rushing attacks against Carolina and Indy that provided him the opportunity to show his stuff. Cincy decided they wouldn't let themselves be beaten that way, and would instead challenge Siemian to beat them with his arm: So he exploited his chance to do just that.

It's easy to mistake Kubiak Ball for Martyball, but fundamental and radical differences lie behind their deceptively similar appearances. Martyball treats passing as last resort to avoid, where Kubiak (and, to be fair, many others) treat passing as an opportunity to cultivate. Stack the box on Marty and he'd STILL run Byner at you until 3rd down; do that to Kubiak and he'll throw a kill shot over your head, precisely as he should.

Three cheers for balanced offense and the "skill" players to execute it; now we just need to find 5 "unskilled" bums who can keep our QBs and RBs on their feet.

Probably third down too.

Joel
09-29-2016, 03:59 AM
Probably third down too.
Nah, that's the flip side of Martyball translating "playing the odds" into total predictability: Once they stuff you for 1-2 yds on 1st and 2nd, the stat sheet says you're FAR more likely to complete a 7 yd pass than run for 7 yds, so you "put it up for grabs." Of course, all 31 other teams have access to Elias' historical records, too, plus they've only seen you do it once or twice (or THOUSANDS of times), so come out in a dime or send a 7-man blitz.

It's like playing against a really bad AI, except the computer won't walk into his post-game presser thinking, How did they KNOW...? It's not that Marty was a "bad" coach per se, just a dogmatically unimaginative one: In a game long described as a "chess match," he was almost literally playing checkers—or maybe tic-tac-toe. The problem with treating football as "solved" is 1) it's NOT and 2) even if it were, it'd be solved for EVERYONE, not just you.

EastCoastBronco
09-29-2016, 06:10 AM
I think spending even one year behind old number 18 did him a world of good.
The only truly bad pass I saw him throw on Sunday was that one that went directly to the linebacker who was so surprised he dropped it.
Keep up the good work, kid.

Tned
09-29-2016, 06:22 AM

Congrats to Trevor!

I guess the real sad thing is that the three game vet seems to have better timing with our WRs then the last five QBs to play in Denver (Manning last year, not previous years).

Tned
09-29-2016, 06:25 AM
Can't help but believe that most of his critics aren't capable of comparing him to players with three games of experience rather than QBs with 5, 7 or 10 years of experience.
Sometime in the first quarter on Sunday, Siemian will finally have 100 CAREER passing attempts.

You guys should really pull up NFL Gamepass or simply check stats if you don't have Gamepass and check out the first three games of the last seven or eight years of number one overall QBs and first round QBs, many of which are very good today.

Trying not to come off as belligerent or condescending, but some of you guys are simply out of touch with reality in your evaluation process.

It doesn't mean that I'm saying Siemian is going to be great or the next Brady, or even just a middle tier QB, but the degree of criticism and the degree to which some of your are trying to find what he did wrong in the first 94 passes (170 or so snaps) of his career, just shows a lack of perspective.

Davii
09-29-2016, 07:42 AM

Honestly Joel, it's both. Yes, Trevor threw deep because Cinci was stacking the box and had curtailed our run game quite a bit and that's why we had the opportunity to throw deep. However, moving forward, teams might be more hesitant to sell out to stop the run knowing the kid can go long on you, and we've got two great, maybe elite, WRs to haul those bombs in. I think Trevor's day last Sunday bodes well for CJ moving forward as it will loosen the run lanes up a little bit.

Canmore
09-29-2016, 08:32 AM
Can't help but believe that most of his critics aren't capable of comparing him to players with three games of experience rather than QBs with 5, 7 or 10 years of experience.
Sometime in the first quarter on Sunday, Siemian will finally have 100 CAREER passing attempts.

You guys should really pull up NFL Gamepass or simply check stats if you don't have Gamepass and check out the first three games of the last seven or eight years of number one overall QBs and first round QBs, many of which are very good today.

Trying not to come off as belligerent or condescending, but some of you guys are simply out of touch with reality in your evaluation process.

It doesn't mean that I'm saying Siemian is going to be great or the next Brady, or even just a middle tier QB, but the degree of criticism and the degree to which some of your are trying to find what he did wrong in the first 94 passes (170 or so snaps) of his career, just shows a lack of perspective.

This^^^

Some can't wait to move on to Lynch. Careful what you wish for.

Davii
09-29-2016, 08:40 AM
This^^^

Some can't wait to move on to Lynch. Careful what you wish for.

I'm ready for whomever gives us the best chance to win and I trust that John and Gary will put that person under center. They did last season, they pulled Peyton when Brock gave us a better chance, and when Peyton was ready Brock was back to the pine. Fox wouldn't have done that, I don't think there are many coaches in the NFL who would've had the cajones to pull Peyton out and sit him down, injury or not.

Canmore
09-29-2016, 08:49 AM
I'm ready for whomever gives us the best chance to win and I trust that John and Gary will put that person under center. They did last season, they pulled Peyton when Brock gave us a better chance, and when Peyton was ready Brock was back to the pine. Fox wouldn't have done that, I don't think there are many coaches in the NFL who would've had the cajones to pull Peyton out and sit him down, injury or not.

As am I.

Right now, that looks like Trevor Siemian. As many have said, after there is a bit of tape on him, that may not be the case. Still, mark me as really impressed.

TXBRONC
09-29-2016, 10:00 AM

No that is incorrect, from the 1st quarter on they were keepinng at least eight in box. That's the classic give away that the opponent is saying your quarterback is going to have beat us over the top.

TXBRONC
09-29-2016, 10:04 AM
Honestly Joel, it's both. Yes, Trevor threw deep because Cinci was stacking the box and had curtailed our run game quite a bit and that's why we had the opportunity to throw deep. However, moving forward, teams might be more hesitant to sell out to stop the run knowing the kid can go long on you, and we've got two great, maybe elite, WRs to haul those bombs in. I think Trevor's day last Sunday bodes well for CJ moving forward as it will loosen the run lanes up a little bit.

I think we'll see other teams trying to stack the box just like Bengals. I wouldn't be surprised to see the the Buccaneers try something similar.

NightTrainLayne
09-29-2016, 10:36 AM
The next big test will be when we face a top notch defense that can stop or hinder our running game with out stacking the box. When there's an extra safety in coverage to challenge those long throws Siemian will have to look them off, etc.

One step at a time.

slim
09-29-2016, 10:37 AM
The next big test will be when we face a top notch defense that can stop or hinder our running game with out stacking the box. When there's an extra safety in coverage to challenge those long throws Siemian will have to look them off, etc.

One step at a time.

This may not happen for quite some time....not a lot of great defenses on the horizon.

BroncoJoe
09-29-2016, 12:31 PM

One step at a time.

That's exactly what he did on the DT TD.

DT TD. Has a nice ring to it...

Davii
09-29-2016, 12:49 PM

I still miss TD for a TD! :(

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-29-2016, 01:51 PM
I still miss TD for a TD! :(

We'll just have to root for Todd Davis to score 🏈

Hawgdriver
09-29-2016, 02:56 PM

He strikes me as the kind to be more upset by the few mistakes than the overwhelming success.

Besides, what the clippings would say is true. Sometimes it's fine to know that you belong where you are.

Tned
09-29-2016, 04:32 PM

Yep, locked the deep safety down by not staring at DT the whole way, even though people would have you believe he never goes past the first guy in his progression.

Also, am I the only one that's noticed that guys like Sanders are no longer being put in harm's way with really bad placed passes that lead them right into vicious hits by defenders? I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, but with Manning and Oz last year, multiple times a week you cringed at the hits the receivers took when they were hung out by bad passes. Maybe it's just been a good three weeks in that regard, and he'll start getting our receivers abused as badly has Manning/Oz did the last couple years.

Hawgdriver
09-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Yep, locked the deep safety down by not staring at DT the whole way, even though people would have you believe he never goes past the first guy in his progression.

Also, am I the only one that's noticed that guys like Sanders are no longer being put in harm's way with really bad placed passes that lead them right into vicious hits by defenders? I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, but with Manning and Oz last year, multiple times a week you cringed at the hits the receivers took when they were hung out by bad passes. Maybe it's just been a good three weeks in that regard, and he'll start getting our receivers abused as badly has Manning/Oz did the last couple years.

Yeah, you are the only one.

Joel
09-30-2016, 12:20 AM
That's the default, because long passes generate far more big plays and points than runs. Absent truly elite passers AND receivers long passes can't work without first forcing the D to pull guys out of the secondary. The only effective way to do that's running consistently well, nickel and diming them to death until they can't just shrug it off, but have no choice but to play the run, even at the risk of giving up a deep bomb.

It's been argued the West Costs high-percentage quick outs, slants, checkdowns and dump offs do the same job as well, but tell that to Manning, DT and Decker at the peak of their careers in SB XLVIII. Short passes don't give either safety any reason to stop shadowing receivers, and don't draw LBs out of zone coverage, only replace them with MORE DBs because the D stays in nickel and dime all the time. "Run to establish the pass" or "run 'em out of Cover 2;" same thing, then and now.

No that is incorrect, from the 1st quarter on they were keepinng at least eight in box. That's the classic give away that the opponent is saying your quarterback is going to have beat us over the top.
So... they didn't stack the box, they... stacked the box? Didn't dare Siemian to beat them with his arm, but... dared him to beat them with his arm?

Agreeing with statements is a weird way of "correcting" their "inaccuracy."

TXBRONC
09-30-2016, 06:58 AM
That's the default, because long passes generate far more big plays and points than runs. Absent truly elite passers AND receivers long passes can't work without first forcing the D to pull guys out of the secondary. The only effective way to do that's running consistently well, nickel and diming them to death until they can't just shrug it off, but have no choice but to play the run, even at the risk of giving up a deep bomb.

It's been argued the West Costs high-percentage quick outs, slants, checkdowns and dump offs do the same job as well, but tell that to Manning, DT and Decker at the peak of their careers in SB XLVIII. Short passes don't give either safety any reason to stop shadowing receivers, and don't draw LBs out of zone coverage, only replace them with MORE DBs because the D stays in nickel and dime all the time. "Run to establish the pass" or "run 'em out of Cover 2;" same thing, then and now.

So... they didn't stack the box, they... stacked the box? Didn't dare Siemian to beat them with his arm, but... dared him to beat them with his arm?

Agreeing with statements is a weird way of "correcting" their "inaccuracy."

. They weren't forced into it they did it automatically. So, obviously we wasn't agreeing.