PDA

View Full Version : With C.J. Anderson and an improved front, Broncos offense plans to be “road graders, bulldozers”

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2016, 04:12 PM
Sometime between training camp and the start of the regular season, when the Broncos were searching for a starting quarterback and an offensive identity, a couple of the offensive linemen had an idea about altering their approach.

“Our attitude changed. We wanted to be road graders, bulldozers,” left guard Max Garcia said. “That’s the mind-set we try to instill across the offensive line.”

Those are only words until they are confirmed on the field. The memories of the vast criticism some of them received throughout the 2015 season were still there. They believed they were better.

So in their first regular-season game, against a stout Carolina front seven, it wasn’t surprising to the Broncos’ offensive linemen that they won the battle at the line of scrimmage on numerous occasions, opening holes for running back C.J. Anderson and fullback Andy Janovich.

“The mind-set is just to kick the crap out of the guy in front of you,” Janovich said.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/16/cj-anderson-improved-broncos-offense/

Joel
09-17-2016, 09:01 PM
rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/16/cj-anderson-improved-broncos-offense/
Great to hear, better to see evidence of with a strong performance against a top front seven. REALLY good to hear things like this (reflected in the title:)

“Our whole goal is to be consistent,” Anderson said, “not to be one-hit wonders or play Jekyll and Hyde with our offense.”

echoed in acknowledgement of this:

“It was a lot of missed assignments,” Garcia said. “As a unit, there was one person, not one particular person, but one person on a lot of plays that messed up, and that’s why the play wasn’t successful. Yeah, (the Colts) did a great job, but a lot of it last year was on us.”

We're no longer living in the upbeat denial of Foxs idiot grin, "and knowing is half the battle."

TXBRONC
09-17-2016, 09:32 PM

I was confident before the season started and even more so now the offfense is going to be better. However, I really didn't expect the offensive line to have quite as good of game against Carolina as it did.

Joel
09-17-2016, 11:03 PM
I was confident before the season started and even more so now the offfense is going to be better. However, I really didn't expect the offensive line to have quite as good of game against Carolina as it did.
The question now is that CONSISTENCY referenced by both CJ and the articles title. What Garcia referenced: Ensuring we don't revert to a different blocker missing a different assignment more often than not. That FO piece in another thread makes a good point that point-of-attack blocking minimizes that far more than "run to daylight" rushing, but the bottom "line" is that the offensive line is only as strong as its weakest link; it functions as a unit or not at all.