PDA

View Full Version : D.T. Injured, May Miss Time

spikerman
09-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Denver Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas, who suffered a hip injury Thursday night, underwent an MRI on Friday that now will be sent out for a second opinion, according to league sources.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17519450/demaryius-thomas-denver-broncos-miss-hip-injury

BroncoJoe
09-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Well, that totally sucks!

Dzone
09-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Oh crap! Thats some real shitty news to wake up to

Dapper Dan
09-11-2016, 10:22 AM
If only the refs would have protected him.

spikerman
09-11-2016, 10:26 AM
So, who replaces him?

Dapper Dan
09-11-2016, 10:31 AM
So, who replaces him?

I'm anxious to find out what the second opinion is. Hopefully he only missed a couple weeks at most.

Justin Hunter? :whoknows:

BroncoWave
09-11-2016, 10:48 AM
So, who replaces him?

Might be time to see what Sunshine can do.

Bronco4ever
09-11-2016, 11:01 AM
Is Fowler close to being back? WR depth was one of the strengths in training camp. Looks like we're going to have to test it very soon. Get well soon DT!

MOtorboat
09-11-2016, 11:09 AM

This.

Northman
09-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Jesus, already? Oh well, lets put Taylor in.

BroncoWave
09-11-2016, 11:34 AM

We had insanely good injury luck last year. Other than Clady, (and I guess you could say Manning?), no significant starter missed much if any time. Unfortunately, we're kinda due for the injury bug to strike this year. It's really hard to stay that healthy two years in a row.

Broncoknight30
09-11-2016, 11:52 AM
If only the refs would have protected him.

Yeah, what racists.

Broncoknight30
09-11-2016, 11:53 AM

I just like that guy. Certainly has the size. Really impressed me in preseason. Hope he gets a shot.

Broncoknight30
09-11-2016, 11:57 AM
We had insanely good injury luck last year. Other than Clady, (and I guess you could say Manning?), no significant starter missed much if any time. Unfortunately, we're kinda due for the injury bug to strike this year. It's really hard to stay that healthy two years in a row.

Well, except for basically the entire OL. Not just Clady. Did you watch that Kubiak special on NFL Channel? I suggest you watch the part where Clancy Barone goes into detail of what they needed to do. It was basically no less than a miracle that they did it in my estimation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAWnFVAu5ns

Denver Native (Carol)
09-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Article says he suffered this in the first qtr. As far as I can remember, he played the whole game, and had a great block on one of the plays.

VonDoom
09-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Is Fowler close to being back? WR depth was one of the strengths in training camp. Looks like we're going to have to test it very soon. Get well soon DT!

I think Fowler is almost ready. We better hope so if DT is out for any time

BroncoWave
09-11-2016, 12:04 PM
Well, except for basically the entire OL. Not just Clady. Did you watch that Kubiak special on NFL Channel? I suggest you watch the part where Clancy Barone goes into detail of what they needed to do. It was basically no less than a miracle that they did it in my estimation.

Even still, we had insanely good injury luck compared to most other teams. None of our star players missed significant time. 8 of our 11 starters on defense last year missed either 1 or 0 games, and the other 3 missed 4, 4, and 5 games respectively. That is very, very fortunate. And on the offensive side of the ball, our main skill players (CJ, DT, Sanders, Daniels) missed 2 games combined. And even on the o-line, all 5 starters started at least 12 games, so none of them missed significant time. Every team has guys get banged up, but to only have one projected starter (Clady) sustain a season-ending injury is very fortunate.

Rick
09-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Taylor looked good, plus when Latimer gets back he looked really solid in preseason.

Rick
09-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Forgot Latimer is back, hopefully he can step up.

Really like Taylor though.

Dapper Dan
09-11-2016, 01:43 PM
Article says he suffered this in the first qtr. As far as I can remember, he played the whole game, and had a great block on one of the plays.

#elite

tomjonesrocks
09-11-2016, 01:56 PM
I'm sure Latimer will be of exactly no help. He does it in practice though!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-11-2016, 01:58 PM
There are a couple guys who have the wide bodies to make the tough catches DT makes. They just don't have his athleticism

Rick
09-11-2016, 02:14 PM
I'm sure Latimer will be of exactly no help. He does it in practice though!

Preseason is what it is, but this preseason before he got hurt, Lattimer was the best WR not named Sanders or DT. He was very impressive.

I do have real high hopes for Taylor though.

Simple Jaded
09-11-2016, 02:44 PM
I'm anxious to find out what the second opinion is. Hopefully he only missed a couple weeks at most.

Justin Hunter? :whoknows:
Hunter got claimed by Miami, sorry homie.

Simple Jaded
09-11-2016, 02:47 PM

I'll tell what he can do, he can run that -------> way, somewhat fast...just don't ask him to turn.

Broncoknight30
09-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Even still, we had insanely good injury luck compared to most other teams. None of our star players missed significant time. 8 of our 11 starters on defense last year missed either 1 or 0 games, and the other 3 missed 4, 4, and 5 games respectively. That is very, very fortunate. And on the offensive side of the ball, our main skill players (CJ, DT, Sanders, Daniels) missed 2 games combined. And even on the o-line, all 5 starters started at least 12 games, so none of them missed significant time. Every team has guys get banged up, but to only have one projected starter (Clady) sustain a season-ending injury is very fortunate.

Don't forget Peyton Manning for a time there. Then again, he was horrible. However, most teams could not say they missed their starting QB and used an unproven QB during the crucial part of the season.

That QB in his second career start had to overcome a 14 point deficit against the Pats, who had not given up a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter in over a decade. In the driving snow no less.

Not bad.

I get your point, but the Broncos had a few problems. Most, if not ALL other SB winning teams did not need to put together a patch work OL like that, coupled with a back up QB. I mean it would have been impressive enough, given those conditions to make it over .500 let alone win the SB.

Which is why I put what the Broncos defense did last year above the Ravens or the Bears. Quick, which QBs did those all time defenses need to beat in their play off run? I think the Bears had Dieter Brock and Tony Eason in the SB. The Ravens in their run had a Gus Ferrotte and Kerry Collins in the SB? The Broncos behind one crap offense overcame Roth Brady and Cam. Two sure fire HOFers and the MVP of the league.

I went off on a tangent, cause I thought it needed to be said. :elefant:

Anyway, the Broncos had to overcome quite a bit last year. This year, will present new challenges.

Davii
09-11-2016, 04:17 PM

Ware was out for half the season, our OL had street scrubs and practice squad players as starters, Trevathan missed time, CJ missed time, there are a lot more, this is just off the top of my head.

This notion that we avoided injury last year is false. Our backups were ridiculously capable until the starters were back. We had two HOFers miss half the year. ..

Dzone
09-11-2016, 04:34 PM
If Latimer blows this opportunity then he just aint no good

BroncoWave
09-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Ware was out for half the season, our OL had street scrubs and practice squad players as starters, Trevathan missed time, CJ missed time, there are a lot more, this is just off the top of my head.

This notion that we avoided injury last year is false. Our backups were ridiculously capable until the starters were back. We had two HOFers miss half the year. ..

Ware missed 6 games, not half the season. CJ played in 15 games. Trevathan played 15 games. And our street scrubs and practice squad players on the OL were the guys we started the season with. It's not like we had multiple pro bowlers on the line who missed time. Only Clady.

As far as NFL teams go, we were EXTREMELY healthy last year. Especially once the playoffs came around. Our roster was at full strength for the entire playoff run. Manning was the healthiest he was all season and we had all 11 defensive starters on the field.

NightTrainLayne
09-11-2016, 04:41 PM
Except for the guys that were hurt last year, we were really healthy! ;)

BroncoWave
09-11-2016, 04:46 PM
Except for the guys that were hurt last year, we were really healthy! ;)

Every team in the NFL has guys get hurt every season. So if the criteria for being healthy is that no player can get injured ever, then no team in the history of the NFL has been healthy.

Like I said, AS FAR AS NFL TEAMS GO, we were extremely healthy last season. Think back to the 2013 Super Bowl team that was missing Harris, Von, and Wolfe for the playoffs. That was a banged up team.

I know that people want to glorify all the adversity we had to overcome en route to our Super Bowl run, and there certainly was plenty of adversity with the OL and QB struggles last year, but our injury situation was quite fortunate.

BigDaddyBronco
09-11-2016, 04:58 PM

In the 1st Qtr he had a play where he caught the ball and kind of stepped weird when he got tackled. They showed him on the sideline looking like he was in pain, I thought he hurt his foot again. I was relieved when he made that big catch in the 2nd half. Looks like he played hurt. Hopefully it isn't too serious.

NightTrainLayne
09-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Every team in the NFL has guys get hurt every season. So if the criteria for being healthy is that no player can get injured ever, then no team in the history of the NFL has been healthy.

Like I said, AS FAR AS NFL TEAMS GO, we were extremely healthy last season. Think back to the 2013 Super Bowl team that was missing Harris, Von, and Wolfe for the playoffs. That was a banged up team.

I know that people want to glorify all the adversity we had to overcome en route to our Super Bowl run, and there certainly was plenty of adversity with the OL and QB struggles last year, but our injury situation was quite fortunate.

Obviously nobody expects to go injury free.

That said, I think our injury situation last year was maybe slightly better than the average NFL team. We weren't especially fortunate, but not unfortunate either.

Davii
09-11-2016, 05:12 PM
Ware missed 6 games, not half the season. CJ played in 15 games. Trevathan played 15 games. And our street scrubs and practice squad players on the OL were the guys we started the season with. It's not like we had multiple pro bowlers on the line who missed time. Only Clady.

As far as NFL teams go, we were EXTREMELY healthy last year. Especially once the playoffs came around. Our roster was at full strength for the entire playoff run. Manning was the healthiest he was all season and we had all 11 defensive starters on the field.

Oh. My mistake, 6 games is way less than 8. We were missing Manning and Ware for a LOT of the season, and Clady for the whole season... good thing we didn't lose any stars according to you.

BroncoWave
09-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Obviously nobody expects to go injury free.

That said, I think our injury situation last year was maybe slightly better than the average NFL team. We weren't especially fortunate, but not unfortunate either.

If you told me before the season that 21 of 22 projected week 1 starters would start and be healthy throughout the playoffs, I'd take it every year. We were fortunate that the injuries we did have forced guys to miss regular season games and not playoff time.

Any Super Bowl run takes a little bit of luck here and there, and we were lucky to pretty much have a fully loaded roster once playoff time came around.

BroncoWave
09-11-2016, 05:17 PM
Oh. My mistake, 6 games is way less than 8. We were missing Manning and Ware for a LOT of the season, and Clady for the whole season... good thing we didn't lose any stars according to you.

Manning and Ware played throughout the playoffs, and were the healthiest/most effective they were all season during the playoffs. Clady is the only projected week 1 starter that didn't play in every playoff game. Like I said, if you could guarantee that kind of health heading in to the playoffs every year, I would take it every year.

Davii
09-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Manning and Ware played throughout the playoffs, and were the healthiest/most effective they were all season during the playoffs. Clady is the only projected week 1 starter that didn't play in every playoff game. Like I said, if you could guarantee that kind of health heading in to the playoffs every year, I would take it every year.

Oh, so now it's playoffs... I like how your arguments change to make sure you never have to say you were wrong with saying something like we didn't miss our stars or something. Good work there.

BroncoWave
09-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Oh, so now it's playoffs... I like how your arguments change to make sure you never have to say you were wrong with saying something like we didn't miss our stars or something. Good work there.

Kinda like how you claimed CJ and Trevathan (who missed one game a piece) were guys who missed a bunch of time last year then conveniently ignored my rebuttal refuting that?

And I still stand by what I said that we were healthy even during the regular season. We had the normal wear and tear of an NFL season, but to only have one guy sustain a season ending injury (and it happened so far before the season we had plenty of time to adjust) is incredible.

Magnificent Seven
09-11-2016, 07:06 PM
Jordan Taylor is our man! I am super excited to see him on the field. Head up and be super excited!

Davii
09-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Kinda like how you claimed CJ and Trevathan (who missed one game a piece) were guys who missed a bunch of time last year then conveniently ignored my rebuttal refuting that?

And I still stand by what I said that we were healthy even during the regular season. We had the normal wear and tear of an NFL season, but to only have one guy sustain a season ending injury (and it happened so far before the season we had plenty of time to adjust) is incredible.

We may have been marginally better than most, we were not since sirt of amazingly blessed team line you're trying to make it seem. We missed almost our entire OL and two HOFers for significant time and many others for a game or two here and there. We had injuries. The timing worked in our favor and we managed extremely well.

Please direct me where I claimed CJ and Trevathan missed "significant time". I mentioned they missed time, which they did. Did you not read my post?

BroncoWave
09-11-2016, 08:08 PM
We may have been marginally better than most, we were not since sirt of amazingly blessed team line you're trying to make it seem. We missed almost our entire OL and two HOFers for significant time and many others for a game or two here and there. We had injuries. The timing worked in our favor and we managed extremely well.

Please direct me where I claimed CJ and Trevathan missed "significant time". I mentioned they missed time, which they did. Did you not read my post?

I guess I'm forgetting some people on the o-line. Who did we lose beside Clady? (I'm not arguing with you here, I just legitimately can't think of what other starter missed significant time).

Davii
09-11-2016, 08:18 PM
I guess I'm forgetting some people on the o-line. Who did we lose beside Clady? (I'm not arguing with you here, I just legitimately can't think of what other starter missed significant time).

Watch that "Worth the Wait" special, our OL struggles are very well explained. I'm pretty sure Sambraillo was lost in week 3. I know we kept bringing in lineman pretty deep in the season.

BroncoWave
09-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Watch that "Worth the Wait" special, our OL struggles are very well explained. I'm pretty sure Sambraillo was lost in week 3. I know we kept bringing in lineman pretty deep in the season.

I want to watch it so bad but I don't get NFLN. I will give someone a blowie if they can find a link to it online.

Davii
09-11-2016, 08:23 PM
I want to watch it so bad but I don't get NFLN. I will give someone a blowie if they can find a link to it online.

Damn good show, I enjoyed it. It's saved on my DVR if that helps.

Dapper Dan
09-11-2016, 08:24 PM
We lost both starting tackles. Then we lost a guard. Max Garcia had to switch back and forth from LG and RG.

Poet
09-11-2016, 09:05 PM
The Panthers should be vilified!!!!!1111

NightTrainLayne
09-11-2016, 09:45 PM
We had significantly more injuries in 2015 than we did in 2014.

2014 was the year when we were abnormally blessed with a lack of injuries. But that didn't get us very far.

According to this link, 2015 was better than average, 10th best, median would be 16. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/2015-adjusted-games-lost

BroncoWave
09-11-2016, 10:03 PM
We had significantly more injuries in 2015 than we did in 2014.

2014 was the year when we were abnormally blessed with a lack of injuries. But that didn't get us very far.

According to this link, 2015 was better than average, 10th best, median would be 16. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/2015-adjusted-games-lost

I appreciate the link with data. I will concede that we perhaps were more injured during the regular season than I remembered. I will still maintain, though, that we were about as healthy as a team could hope for once the playoffs started We had all the horses but Clady back at that point.

Davii
09-11-2016, 10:24 PM
I appreciate the link with data. I will concede that we perhaps were more injured during the regular season than I remembered. I will still maintain, though, that we were about as healthy as a team could hope for once the playoffs started We had all the horses but Clady back at that point.

IIRC our opponents were in about the same shape. Didn't the Pats get all their horses back as well? I seem to remember a lot of talk about they had everyone and hadn't lose a game with Gronk, Edelman, and Amendola all playing, etc.

BroncoWave
09-11-2016, 10:30 PM
IIRC our opponents were in about the same shape. Didn't the Pats get all their horses back as well? I seem to remember a lot of talk about they had everyone and hadn't lose a game with Gronk, Edelman, and Amendola all playing, etc.

I don't remember how they were going in the trenches but yeah, they did have all their skill players available in that game. Made it all the sweeter to shut their offense down.

Pitt was the game we were really fortunate in injury-wise. You hate to see AB get a concussion the way he did against Cincy, but him playing would have made it way harder to win that game. I think CHJ had given up two TDs total the last two years and both were to AB in that one game late in the season. They were down to their third string RB as well. I think they would have been our toughest test, even moreso than NE or Carolina, if they'd had all their guys. Having said that, we were kicking their ass in that regular season game until the wheels fell off in the second half, so who knows how maybe having Manning would have changed things.

Simple Jaded
09-11-2016, 11:26 PM
I got Worth the Wait and America's Game on my DVR and gonna put it on DVD.......just as soon as I figure out how.

Joel
09-11-2016, 11:27 PM
I don't remember how they were going in the trenches but yeah, they did have all their skill players available in that game. Made it all the sweeter to shut their offense down.

Pitt was the game we were really fortunate in injury-wise. You hate to see AB get a concussion the way he did against Cincy, but him playing would have made it way harder to win that game. I think CHJ had given up two TDs total the last two years and both were to AB in that one game late in the season. They were down to their third string RB as well. I think they would have been our toughest test, even moreso than NE or Carolina, if they'd had all their guys. Having said that, we were kicking their ass in that regular season game until the wheels fell off in the second half, so who knows how maybe having Manning would have changed things.
Most likely, and Browns concussion was the only reason they (rather than Cincy) were IN that playoff game against us. They played an incredibly dirty game (as always) vs. Cincy, but only the Bengals got flagged for it (if ANY other team in ANY other game spears a runner in the head hard enough to knock him UNCONSCIOUS it's an ejection, not a turnover; that's at least a 10 pt swing.) I personally think Cincy would've been a bigger challenge (they nearly beat us in the regular season.)

I'll stop there 'cause it feels like I'm twisting a knife in Kings gut (what might've been, eh...? ;))

Poet
09-11-2016, 11:35 PM
What do you mean what might have been? The correct and beloved team won the Super Bowl.

underrated29
09-12-2016, 12:09 AM

Yup. Those fags said we played their B tea, with Brock and didn't stand a hookers chance in mother Theresa's house with them back. I hope Brady gets testicular herpes- I'm not sure there is such a thing but he should get it. Guy is a low life. I hope his idea has a penis

Poet
09-12-2016, 12:13 AM
"I hope his idea has a penis," - Socrates.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-12-2016, 12:23 AM
I got Worth the Wait and America's Game on my DVR and gonna put it on DVD.......just as soon as I figure out how.

By then dvd's will be the equivalent of 8tracks

Joel
09-12-2016, 12:51 AM
What do you mean what might have been? The correct and beloved team won the Super Bowl.
Well, yes, but in some alternate (i.e. bearded) universe a Bungles championship that pushed a conflicted Broncos fan over the edge to them. A universe where Broncos HC Marvin Lewis is 0-LOTS all-time against Bengals coach Gary Kubiak. Seriously, the next time he beats Kubiak will be the first; I'm starting to feel bad for the dude. Then I remember my childhood, Boomer, Icky, Kevin Macks steroids, The Drive and The Fumble so I'm all like "man, :censored: Ohio...."

"I hope his idea has a penis," - Socrates.
Knowing what we do of ancient Greece, that's a plausible quote; I think it was The Sacred Bands regimental motto.

MOtorboat
09-12-2016, 12:58 AM
Well, yes, but in some alternate (i.e. bearded) universe a Bungles championship that pushed a conflicted Broncos fan over the edge to them. A universe where Broncos HC Marvin Lewis is 0-LOTS all-time against Bengals coach Gary Kubiak. Seriously, the next time he beats Kubiak will be the first; I'm starting to feel bad for the dude. Then I remember my childhood, Boomer, Icky, Kevin Macks steroids, The Drive and The Fumble so I'm all like "man, :censored: Ohio...."

Knowing what we do of ancient Greece, that's a plausible quote; I think it was The Sacred Bands regimental motto.

I'm guessing you'd enjoy a world where the Broncos weren't the champions because you'd have even more to bitch about, because lord knows you've bitched even after a Super Bowl win enough.

Joel
09-12-2016, 01:21 AM
I'm guessing you'd enjoy a world where the Broncos weren't the champions because you'd have even more to bitch about, because lord knows you've bitched even after a Super Bowl win enough.
Just goes to show I'm not the only one who guessed wrong today.

Simple Jaded
09-12-2016, 03:11 AM
By then dvd's will be the equivalent of 8tracks

I've been busy.

Valar Morghulis
09-12-2016, 05:06 AM
Latimer gonna show you all....

Joel
09-12-2016, 06:44 AM
Latimer gonna put up or shut up. If DT's out and Fowler still gimpy, Latimer's gonna see lots of action: So he'll either make lots of PLAYS or officially be a bona fide bust. I get it; he's young, still developing etc. etc. If he were still in college he'd have one more season to "develop" after this before his eligibility ended. But with a week and a half till our next game I wouldn't be surprised to see Fowler take over if DT can't go. Or one or both Jordans surpass Latimer if it's down to those three.

spikerman
09-12-2016, 06:57 AM
If Fowler and Taylor wind up passing Latimer on the depth chart the Broncos should plan on cutting their losses after this season unless they can find someone else to return kick offs. If they do, then move on right away. If he can't step up now, he never will.

DenBronx
09-12-2016, 07:21 AM
Latimer gonna show you all....

I've been hearing this for years.

#bust

Jordan Taylor all day hommie!

slim
09-12-2016, 07:40 AM
If Fowler and Taylor wind up passing Latimer on the depth chart the Broncos should plan on cutting their losses after this season unless they can find someone else to return kick offs. If they do, then move on right away. If he can't step up now, he never will.

A fifth WR that is a ST demon?

I think you can live with that.

spikerman
09-12-2016, 07:50 AM
A fifth WR that is a ST demon?

I think you can live with that.

Not a second round pick coming toward the end of his contract

slim
09-12-2016, 08:14 AM

Damn you, Spiker!

#shakesfistinair

DenBronx
09-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Trade Latimer to the Chargers for a 7th. Their WR is out for the season.

Dapper Dan
09-12-2016, 08:29 AM
If Latimer sucks then he has no trade value. Make up your mind, peeps.

I'm glad we have a practice squad guy to replace one of the best WRs in the NFL. :lol:

Dzone
09-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Talkin DT on radio brought up bo jackson and rod smith. Hip problems r scary as hell. Its a huge ball and socket weight bearing joint. If the acetabulum / labrum goes bad , youre pretty much screwed. Problems can linger due to the constant stress on the joint. Wonder how Rods hip is now or if he had to get a hip replacement

BroncoWave
09-12-2016, 09:08 AM

Where he was drafted shouldn't be relevant at all when deciding whether or not to bring him back. If we like him on ST and can bring him back on the cheap, who cares where he was drafted?

TXBRONC
09-12-2016, 10:14 AM
If Thomas is that badly hurt how was able to even finish the game.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-12-2016, 10:33 AM
If Thomas is that badly hurt how was able to even finish the game.

He played most of the SB with a separated shoulder. He's a lot tougher than people give him credit for.

TXBRONC
09-12-2016, 12:02 PM
He played most of the SB with a separated shoulder. He's a lot tougher than people give him credit for.

Agreed. What I was trying to get at is that if staff believed possible hurt that bad I doubt they would have let continue to play the rest of the game.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 10m

I'm told Demaryius Thomas is participating in the Broncos' on-field work today. #9sports

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2016, 12:33 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 8m

Today isn't full practice.. Wednesday is.. if Demaryius Thomas practices then bodes well for him playing Sunday.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 8m

Troy Renck Retweeted DenverSports760

There you go. Thomas doing OK.. #Broncos. @DenverChannel

Troy Renck added,
DenverSports760 @DenverSports760
Right now @Broncos HC just told Dave Logan & @SusieWargin that @DemaryiusT is "doing pretty good...should be back on the field Wednesday."

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2016, 12:39 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 53s

#Broncos Kubiak said DT had two good days of treatment on hip.. Again, expects him to practice Wednesday. @DenverChannel

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1m

Kubiak said Thomas could have practiced today if needed.. Fowler did practice.. .. Said DT "doing pretty good" #Broncos @DenverChannel
0 retweets 0 likes

Hawgdriver
09-12-2016, 12:39 PM

I wonder if this could happen without Manning. His OMFG it's Peyton Manning factor, ability to glue them together through knowledge of defenses, ability to identify their failures as they happen, and so on. Might get overlooked that he compensated for some of the issues with the line. Am I wrong about this? Manning's arm may have sucked, idk, but I bet he had a lot to do with the championship that we haven't talked about.

Broncoknight30
09-12-2016, 01:38 PM
I wonder if this could happen without Manning. His OMFG it's Peyton Manning factor, ability to glue them together through knowledge of defenses, ability to identify their failures as they happen, and so on. Might get overlooked that he compensated for some of the issues with the line. Am I wrong about this? Manning's arm may have sucked, idk, but I bet he had a lot to do with the championship that we haven't talked about.

I really don't think so. A lot of people said he did this or that or the other thing. Manning lent a spark in the Charger game. The simple fact is as soon as Manning went out, the first two games against the Bears and Pats, the Broncos rushed for over 170 yards in both games. The stretch run was able to be run with a QB that had the ability to run bootleg keepers.

OZ went 5 and 2 as a starter. Manning, in the SB had one of the worst statistical games of any QB. Not just a winning a SB but ANY QB. The Broncos in the SB broke the record for ineptitude by going 1 for 14 on 3rd downs. It broke Craig Morton's record for ineptitude in SB XII.

That reason, coupled with the Broncos needing to overcome 3 QBs that destined for the HOF, I would say they had the most impressive defensive run of any team.

No, I do not think Manning did all that much to overcome the line. I think that stuff is overblown.

Poet
09-12-2016, 02:09 PM
DT is the man and I love him. That is all.

MOtorboat
09-12-2016, 02:18 PM
I really don't think so. A lot of people said he did this or that or the other thing. Manning lent a spark in the Charger game. The simple fact is as soon as Manning went out, the first two games against the Bears and Pats, the Broncos rushed for over 170 yards in both games. The stretch run was able to be run with a QB that had the ability to run bootleg keepers.

OZ went 5 and 2 as a starter. Manning, in the SB had one of the worst statistical games of any QB. Not just a winning a SB but ANY QB. The Broncos in the SB broke the record for ineptitude by going 1 for 14 on 3rd downs. It broke Craig Morton's record for ineptitude in SB XII.

That reason, coupled with the Broncos needing to overcome 3 QBs that destined for the HOF, I would say they had the most impressive defensive run of any team.

No, I do not think Manning did all that much to overcome the line. I think that stuff is overblown.

In 2015, Manning had less of an impact on the team's line because he had a bum foot for six games, and then Osweiler started seven and he hung onto the ball too long. But, there's really no doubt Manning's affect on the line was impressive. Second, first and first in sacks allowed in his first three seasons in Denver. 21st when he was hurt and Osweiler started almost half the season. That's not an anomaly, IMO.

Joel
09-13-2016, 04:10 AM
I personally think Manning had incalculable value as a field marshal. Not just diagnosing Ds and calling audibles (though certainly those) but because his teammates WANT to win for him. He holds them all to very high standards, but himself to the highest of all, which gets big results that earn their trust and confidence.

THAT'S how he "lent a spark" against the Chargers, and many others. Remember the FIRST time he faced the Chargers with us? The 24 pt comeback to win by 11 (the only one of the few 24 pt comebacks in NFL history won by double digits)? As well as he played, I'm not sure the rest of the team c/would've kept up for anyone else (except Elway.)

Getting the line on the right page, directing WRs, reading Ds, calling audibles; all that stuff certainly matters, but lots of QBs can do that. Very few bring that "We're down 3 TDs, but he's gonna win it; I don't know HOW, but I know he WILL" factor of Manning.