PDA

View Full Version : Broncos interior DL. Rush defense and lack of push on pass rush.

Broncoknight30
09-09-2016, 05:10 PM
In the SB, the Broncos D pretty much shut down the Panthers rushing offense. The Panthers were having significant success on first down, especially rushing the ball last night. They were averaging 5.1 yards per attempt for most of the game.

The defense did not get consistent push in the pocket. At least not nearly as consistent as they did last year. Yes, it is only game one. However, Collinsworth pointed it out last night that the edge rushers suffer from a lack of push cause they tend to run past the QB is safe in a pocket that is not collapsing.

That is what I saw last night. Crick needs to step his game up. Opposing teams saw him getting pushed around last night. I saw him pancaked a few times. That is a weak spot and it will be exploited. Hopefully the Philips will be able to improve that somehow.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-09-2016, 05:14 PM
That's a small part of the story. The Panthers didn't respect our D with their game plan in the SB. This time around they game planned like NE or KC by utilizing quick passes and 3 and 5 step drops. Cam was getting the ball out much faster.

Poet
09-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Malick is going to be missed. Replacing him will be a work in progress. To take what Al said a step forward -- if we don't turn the ball over and just get FG's there's a point in time where the Panthers have to take longer passing plays, which would allow for VonWareWolfe more of an opportunity to spank Camolina.

Dapper Dan
09-09-2016, 05:24 PM
At some point this season, they're going to have to call a holding penalty.

TXBRONC
09-09-2016, 05:30 PM
Crick is not a pass rusher. He's a solid enough player but he's strength is defending the run. Gotsis looks like he could eventually be more in the mold of Jackson but it's going to take some time.

The Panther had Cam utilizing shorter drops but evenso Denver still got quite a bit of pressure on him.

Timmy!
09-09-2016, 05:34 PM
They did everything they could to slow down the rush. Read options, short drops, holding.....and cam still got hit 17 frigging times. We will be just fine.

Bronco4ever
09-09-2016, 05:44 PM
We likely won't face another team this season that has as dynamic of a running attack than Carolina's. They can beat you for big runs in a variety of ways. That said, the run defense was not impressive last night, but we couldn't have gotten a bigger test there week 1. Malik is definitely being missed up front, but I have no doubt our pass rush will still be pretty nasty this year.

Poet
09-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Imagine what happens to an offense that isn't as motivated and doesn't have that type of mobility from their QB?

MOtorboat
09-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Crick's play is a little concerning, but they destroyed Newton in the second half.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-09-2016, 07:19 PM
If Newton doesn't want to get lit up like a Christmas tree then he needs to stay in the pocket

atwater27
09-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Are there any decent interior passrushers on the free agent market? It would be smart to pick one up, even if they are a one trick pony. We miss Malik and Vance BADLY. The rest of the defense was great.

VonDoom
09-09-2016, 07:55 PM
Crick is certainly no Malik Jackson, but he's not really the same type of player. Davis seems fine (so far) in place of Trevathan but if there is a weak link, it'll be towards where Jackson used to be.

That being said, as I said elsewhere (and as Bronco4Ever pointed out above), Carolina has the best rushing attack in the league, mostly because of what Newton can do. It's a testament to last year's defense that we shut them down in that respect in the Super Bowl. This was an average game for them in terms of attempts and yards. If this continues to be a problem against everyone, then I'll worry. For now, consider that the Panthers are really good and we held them to three second half points while putting a lot more pressure on Cam at that point.

TXBRONC
09-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Are there any decent interior passrushers on the free agent market? It would be smart to pick one up, even if they are a one trick pony. We miss Malik and Vance BADLY. The rest of the defense was great.

We'll be fine. As Timmy pointed out Cam was hit 17 times.

dogfish
09-09-2016, 08:47 PM
i would call up antonio smith and see if he's available-- we really could use another interior rusher. . .

Dapper Dan
09-09-2016, 09:59 PM
Unless someone gets hurt, this is our team.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-09-2016, 11:01 PM
i would call up antonio smith and see if he's available-- we really could use another interior rusher. . .
He was pretty good last year.

Simple Jaded
09-10-2016, 12:44 AM
First thing I think they should do is dump Peko and bring in Potroast.

I'd be interested in kicking the tires of Quinton Coples as a 3-4 DE, hes a bust but he's definitely got the talent. Plus he's not trying to marry family members daughters, like Smith.

Joel
09-10-2016, 01:25 AM
That's a small part of the story. The Panthers didn't respect our D with their game plan in the SB. This time around they game planned like NE or KC by utilizing quick passes and 3 and 5 step drops. Cam was getting the ball out much faster.
From what I've heard, and highlights I've seen, they did a lot of max protect, too. Camolina had a GOOD line to start with: Our elite D just made it LOOK bad in SB50.

As for solutions, Antonio Smith was the next guy up after Walker last year for "swing DL" (so logged a fair amount of productive playing time when Wolfes suspension made Walker the starter the first month of the season.) Like Walker, he had extensive STARTING 4-3 DT experience even before we signed him, plus he was a starting 3-4 DE for Wade and Kubiak all but TWO games for FIVE SEASONS in Houston. But perhaps that's the rub: He turns 35 next month, so maybe he's out of gas.

dogfish
09-10-2016, 10:53 AM
Unless someone gets hurt, this is our team.

nah. . . good GMs are always looking for ways to tweak their rosters, and our GM is the best. . .

Dapper Dan
09-10-2016, 11:37 AM
nah. . . good GMs are always looking for ways to tweak their rosters, and our GM is the best. . .

Yeah. If we can just find that one guy nobody wants who can be the final piece of the puzzle. That Evan Mathis kind of guy.

Poet
09-10-2016, 07:23 PM

Yup.

NightTerror218
09-12-2016, 01:54 PM
It was the first time our DL has played together in a game. They will only improve. And crick destroyed Cam on a pass that he got passed the OG right as Cam passed. I feared for a late hit but nothing. Crick did get pressure. But Cam did not do 7 step drops like SB so when pass rush did arrive quickly he was not as deep.

Broncoknight30
09-12-2016, 02:04 PM
It was the first time our DL has played together in a game. They will only improve. And crick destroyed Cam on a pass that he got passed the OG right as Cam passed. I feared for a late hit but nothing. Crick did get pressure. But Cam did not do 7 step drops like SB so when pass rush did arrive quickly he was not as deep.

The reason he did 7 step drops is because the pocket consistently got pushed back. That was one of the key aspects of what made the defense so effective last year. I am sure the Panthers anticipated that, and he was certainly told that the pocket should be a bit cleaner. It was.

This play illustrates that.

https://usatbroncoswire.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/miller-and-ware-sack.gif?w=1000

You can see why Brady had no pocket to step into cause it was in his face. Which made the edge rushers far more effective. With a consistent push, the QB has no real choice but to take 7 step drops.

Here is what he dealt with in SB. There was no pocket. The Malik Wolfe effect was no small thing.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/5uoKYgeQ7yumUH-tj2FolbGeVjM=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6008645/camsack.0.gif