PDA

View Full Version : How the Broncos kept calm and carried on in their win over the Panthers

Denver Native (Carol)
09-09-2016, 01:16 PM
DENVER -- When the Broncos jogged back to the locker room at halftime Thursday trailing Carolina 17-7, the unease among the 76,671 onlookers -- most of whom were clad in orange -- was palpable. As the 10-point deficit lingered through the third quarter thanks in part to a interception, that discomfort turned to a smattering of boos after one three-and-out.

But in the locker room at halftime and on the west sideline early in the second half, the mood was different.

The Broncos didn't fret or fidget. Fingers weren't pointed. Paint didn't peel in the locker room at halftime.

They opted to be cool, because that is their default setting. That is the tone Head Coach Gary Kubiak has set. It helped create three rallies from double-digit deficits and against playoff-bound teams last year. It worked again Thursday.

"Kubs came in, told us exactly what we needed to hear," said defensive end Jared Crick, "and we went out there and won the football game in the second half."

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/How-the-Broncos-kept-calm-and-carried-on-in-their-win-over-the-Panthers/4ef9bf13-1a81-450a-82b7-95b8cde08f5b

Denver Native (Carol)
09-09-2016, 01:18 PM
from same article:

The Broncos had met the enemy. But it wasn't the Panthers, who came into the game with 19 wins in their previous 20 regular-season contests. It was themselves -- and Siemian quickly reminded his teammates of that.

Siemian's words sounded familiar to veterans -- because they sounded like they'd come from Peyton Manning.

"It sounded like Peyton: 'Hey, man, we're moving the ball. We're just shooting ourselves in the foot.' That's something 18 would say," RB C.J. Anderson said.

And after Siemian opened the second half with another strong drive that ended in a Bene Benwikere interception, he remained unfazed, reiterating his halftime point.

"He kept saying in the huddle, 'We're moving the ball. We're moving the ball. We're just shooting ourselves. It's not like they're stopping us. We're killing ourselves,'" Anderson said. "Which was true."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/How-the-Broncos-kept-calm-and-carried-on-in-their-win-over-the-Panthers/4ef9bf13-1a81-450a-82b7-95b8cde08f5b

Davii
09-09-2016, 01:26 PM
When that small smattering of boos happened I remarked in general to anyone within earshot, "why is anyone booing? Because we didn't go flinging it on third and long backed up against the endzone?"

I won't boo smart football, ever, even if it's not sexy. Had we pushed the issue there Trevor would've faced a very determined pass rush and how bad would the boos have been if there was a turnover?

BroncoWave
09-09-2016, 01:40 PM
I want to throat punch whomever wrote that headline.

spikerman
09-09-2016, 03:05 PM
When that small smattering of boos happened I remarked in general to anyone within earshot, "why is anyone booing? Because we didn't go flinging it on third and long backed up against the endzone?"

I won't boo smart football, ever, even if it's not sexy. Had we pushed the issue there Trevor would've faced a very determined pass rush and how bad would the boos have been if there was a turnover?
The only thing I was questioning (and I questioned it last year too) is why the Broncos never seem to run play action passes on first down. I'm not opposed to booing when your team deserves it, but there was nothing "boo-worthy" last night.

BroncoJoe
09-09-2016, 03:22 PM
I only remember one part of the game where people booed. It was a rowdy, positive crowd for the most part.

spikerman
09-09-2016, 04:05 PM
I only remember one part of the game where people booed. It was a rowdy, positive crowd for the most part.

Agreed. I only remember one time.

Davii
09-09-2016, 08:13 PM

Agreed, and that one part you remember is the only time it happened. We were uber conservative and had a 3 and out.

TXBRONC
09-09-2016, 10:39 PM
Agreed, and that one part you remember is the only time it happened. We were uber conservative and had a 3 and out.

IIRC Denver was deep in their own territory when it happened.

Davii
09-10-2016, 12:07 AM
IIRC Denver was deep in their own territory when it happened.

Yep