PDA

View Full Version : How soon until the broncos start bringing in punters for workouts?

sneakers
09-08-2016, 11:43 PM
hmmm?

Dzone
09-09-2016, 12:41 AM
Is kicking in the NFL that different than college? wtf?

BroncoWave
09-09-2016, 12:42 AM
Bring Hillman back while we're at it. :D

sneakers
09-09-2016, 12:46 AM
Is kicking in the NFL that different than college? wtf?

Maybe the longsnapper throws the ball back to you a little harder?

dogfish
09-09-2016, 12:58 AM
he's got about two more weeks to start getting it right. . . a couple more brutal shanks will probably result in some punter tryouts at dove valley. . . kid better get his shit together quick, this train don't wait on freakin' punters. . .

MOtorboat
09-09-2016, 01:00 AM
Bring Hillman back while we're at it. :D

Booker and Bibbs were both very unimpressive in their first shots.

BroncoWave
09-09-2016, 01:04 AM
Booker and Bibbs were both very unimpressive in their first shots.

Did Bibbs even get on the field? I don't remember seeing him out there.

Simple Jaded
09-09-2016, 01:05 AM
Bibbs caught a nice swing pass.

MOtorboat
09-09-2016, 01:05 AM
Did Bibbs even get on the field? I don't remember seeing him out there.

Yes, shoe-string tackled with a wide open 15 yards in front of him.

BroncoWave
09-09-2016, 01:07 AM

Huh, guess I was zoned out during that play. Don't remember it at all. But yeah, if we don't get some sort of production out of Booker or Bibbs soon, Hillman might not be out of work long.

GEM
09-09-2016, 01:09 AM
Bibbs caught a nice swing pass.

And took out a couple guys on his way down.

underrated29
09-09-2016, 01:15 AM
Don't kid yourself.

Hillman would have been tackled for a loss, bibbs dragged the guy for 2 yards,

Actually Hillman would not have caught the pass in the first place. Hillman sucks and will be out of a job for a loooooong time

underrated29
09-09-2016, 01:16 AM

Huh, guess I was zoned out during that play. Don't remember it at all. But yeah, if we don't get some sort of production out of Booker or Bibbs soon, Hillman might not be out of work long.

It was an 8-10 yard gain...

MOtorboat
09-09-2016, 01:18 AM
And took out a couple guys on his way down.

?

It was a one on one play and he failed to beat the man.

It was an 8-10 yard gain...

UR would have roasted Hillman for the play.

Simple Jaded
09-09-2016, 01:23 AM
Nice swing pass though, I know that's not saying much but Elway struggled with that for years, he looked like Shaquille O'Neal shooting free throws.

underrated29
09-09-2016, 01:26 AM
?

It was a one on one play and he failed to beat the man.

UR would have roasted Hillman for the play.

Hillman would have dropped it. If he held on he would have been knocked back 6 yards, fumbled and then out his hand up because if unnecessary contact by the defense.

You know it's true!

underrated29
09-09-2016, 01:27 AM
Ps- more than Hillman has probably ever caught on a non screen pass in his life....probably even a screen too

BroncoWave
09-09-2016, 01:29 AM
Hillman would have dropped it. If he held on he would have been knocked back 6 yards, fumbled and then out his hand up because if unnecessary contact by the defense.

You know it's true!

Wake me when Bibbs accomplishes one tenth of what Hillman has in his career.

underrated29
09-09-2016, 01:31 AM
Wake me when Bibbs accomplishes one tenth of what Hillman has in his career.

Watch this season Johnny Appleseed. If not, I'll be sure to remind you.

BroncoWave
09-09-2016, 01:33 AM
Watch this season Johnny Appleseed. If not, I'll be sure to remind you.

Our rookie RB fumbled on his first ever carry and still got back on the field before Bibbs. Like I said, Bibbs 100% made the team because of special teams. Not because he can play a lick of running back. He sorry.

BroncoWave
09-09-2016, 01:42 AM

You know it's true!

He caught a wide open swing pass and went down to the first guy who touched him. You or I could have done that.

underrated29
09-09-2016, 01:46 AM
We could have.
Hillman wouldn't have.

Fumble or knocked back 6 yards.....or put his hands up and watched the other team take the free ball to the 1.

VonDoom
09-09-2016, 08:39 AM
Is this thread still about punters? Just playing Devil's advocate here, but Dixon's net average on three punts was 42.7 yards. That would have tied for sixth in the NFL last year. Let's not jump out the window yet. Lee kicking one out of the stadium made our punter look worse as well.

BroncoJoe
09-09-2016, 11:03 AM
3 punts, 140 yards with one that went 54.

Funny we'll give Siemian a break being a rookie (which he's not...), but not the punter.

slim
09-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Yeah, it wasn't that bad.

You guys crack me up.

slim
09-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Is this thread still about punters? Just playing Devil's advocate here, but Dixon's net average on three punts was 42.7 yards. That would have tied for sixth in the NFL last year. Let's not jump out the window yet. Lee kicking one out of the stadium made our punter look worse as well.

Colquitts net avg last year was 39.7 :noidea:

BroncoWave
09-09-2016, 12:03 PM
I guess his issue was that his worst punt came at the worst time for it. We really needed to pin them back in that situation.

Cugel
09-09-2016, 12:18 PM
I think Booker's fumble was a "welcome to the NFL rook" moment. He learns that in live NFL games they hit harder than they did in college or in the pre-season, and there are some unbelievably strong men trying to rip the ball out on every play.

He'll learn quick. I think he'll be fine. If he continues to cough up the ball of course he'll sit. That's the one thing Kubiak won't forgive easily. But, you can bet ball security will be on his mind for the rest of this season, probably the rest of his career. Not the best way to start your NFL career.

But, I think he'll be OK.

Cugel
09-09-2016, 12:20 PM
I guess his issue was that his worst punt came at the worst time for it. We really needed to pin them back in that situation.

I'm afraid we may have to put up with inferior punting this season. They got rid of an elite punter. This kid isn't elite.

Cugel
09-09-2016, 12:22 PM

You know it's true!

Yes, yes, we do know it's true. It's exactly true as he proved over and over last season. That's why he's not here, and why thank God he's not coming back. I'd bring back Juwan Thompson before bringing back Hillman.

slim
09-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Elite punters lol

Tned
09-09-2016, 03:04 PM
3 punts, 140 yards with one that went 54.

Funny we'll give Siemian a break being a rookie (which he's not...), but not the punter.

I don't get it. He average 43.6 net or something like that, and the "shank" was 42 yards (net), but granted without much hang time.

What am I missing here?

Tned
09-09-2016, 03:06 PM

Wasn't Siemean's sack inside the 20, on the 18 or something, which means Dixon was standing on the 5 yard line or something like that when he took the snap. What exactly were you hoping for, a 60 or 70 yard punt to pin them back?

I'm struggling to see what the problem was and what the expectation was in that case.

Buff
09-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Wasn't Siemean's sack inside the 20, on the 18 or something, which means Dixon was standing on the 5 yard line or something like that when he took the snap. What exactly were you hoping for, a 60 or 70 yard punt to pin them back?

I'm struggling to see what the problem was and what the expectation was in that case.

Yes, that's precisely what I wanted. Carolina's punter jacked a 76 yarder - and an NFL punter at altitude should have that kind of a bomb in their repertoire. Obviously that's on the extreme end - but I'm with Wave that his most important punt of the night was a dud.

TXBRONC
09-09-2016, 03:11 PM
hmmm?

Why? He actually punted pretty well.

BroncoJoe
09-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Yes, that's precisely what I wanted. Carolina's punter jacked a 76 yarder - and an NFL punter at altitude should have that kind of a bomb in their repertoire. Obviously that's on the extreme end - but I'm with Wave that his most important punt of the night was a dud.

That punt was 42 yards. It's not like he shanked it.

TXBRONC
09-09-2016, 03:16 PM

Then you had unrealistic expectation.

Buff
09-09-2016, 03:18 PM
That punt was 42 yards. It's not like he shanked it.

Correct - but it did allow Carolina to get into FG range more easily than I would have liked.

Then you had unrealistic expectation.

Yes, I realize it's unrealistic to expect a 75 yarder. But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect better than 42 yards in that particular situation.

BroncoJoe
09-09-2016, 03:31 PM
Correct - but it did allow Carolina to get into FG range more easily than I would have liked.

Yes, I realize it's unrealistic to expect a 75 yarder. But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect better than 42 yards in that particular situation.

1st point: our defense allowed them to get into FG range. Where the punt ended up was not in FG range. An extra 5-10 yards would have made little difference.

2nd point: agreed.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-09-2016, 04:41 PM
You know, I think I'll go to the interwebz and whine about a punt that netted 40 yards

TXBRONC
09-09-2016, 04:50 PM
You know, I think I'll go to the interwebz and whine about a punt that netted 40 yards

It's sounds like you've been hanging out with Joel. :D

Dapper Dan
09-09-2016, 05:25 PM
When you cut a veteran player for a cheap rookie, there will be rookie mistakes. On the plus side, rookies can get better. This guy is our punter for better or worse. He just needs time. Just like Booker.

Poet
09-09-2016, 05:51 PM
I love you, Dan.

Buff
09-09-2016, 06:48 PM

It's a good thing we've got a band of heroes who is up to the task of sniffing out these whiners and then whining about them.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-09-2016, 07:22 PM
It's a good thing we've got a band of heroes who is up to the task of sniffing out these whiners and then whining about them.

It's a vicious cycle. Where does it end?

CrazyHorse
09-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Elite punters lol

I'd gladly pay a premium for a guy that can hit coffin corner kicks out of bounds inside 10 yards consistently. Even better if he kicks field goals.

Tned
09-10-2016, 01:22 AM
When you cut a veteran player for a cheap rookie, there will be rookie mistakes. On the plus side, rookies can get better. This guy is our punter for better or worse. He just needs time. Just like Booker.

People forget that prior to the last 5 games of last season that Colquitt had struggled badly last year and some the year before.

Many were calling for him to be cut.

Ziggy
09-10-2016, 08:53 AM
3 punts for a 46.7 yard average and no touch backs in his first NFL game and the pitchforks are out already. This should be fun.

slim
09-10-2016, 09:20 AM
I'd gladly pay a premium for a guy that can hit coffin corner kicks out of bounds inside 10 yards consistently. Even better if he kicks field goals.

Well, let's maybe see if Dixon is capable of that before we lynch him.

TXBRONC
09-10-2016, 09:30 AM
3 punts for a 46.7 yard average and no touch backs in his first NFL game and the pitchforks are out already. This should be fun.

It was pointed out that a 46.7 yard average would have put Dixon 3rd overall in the League last season.

dogfish
09-10-2016, 11:08 AM
man, look at you all defending the punter like he's actually a person. . . :lol::lol:

Simple Jaded
09-11-2016, 12:45 AM
They're all just keeping the seat warm for when the Broncos draft JK Scott anyway.

Dapper Dan
09-11-2016, 01:20 AM
They're all just keeping the seat warm for when the Broncos draft JK Scott anyway.

Is that a real name?

TXBRONC
09-11-2016, 07:31 AM
Is that a real name?

Isn't he a punter from Tennessee?

Dapper Dan
09-11-2016, 08:58 AM

Idk. We don't need to punt anymore.

Dapper Dan
09-11-2016, 08:59 AM

You son of a beach. I looked him up. He plays for Alabama. How dare you.

Tned
09-11-2016, 09:03 AM
man, look at you all defending the punter like he's actually a person. . . :lol::lol:

Just think it's ironic considering the multiple cut Colquit threads in '14 and '15.

It's like how Knighton became a hero with a good playoff run. Short memories.

BroncoWave
09-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Just think it's ironic considering the multiple cut Colquit threads in '14 and '15.

It's like how Knighton became a hero with a good playoff run. Short memories.

I don't see very many people clamoring to bring Colquitt back. I, for one, still agree with the decision to get rid of him, it just would have been nice to see Dixon do better on the punt at the end of the game. I will admit after looking at his stats I might have been a bit harsh on him, but at altitude one might expect at least a slightly better performance.

Tned
09-11-2016, 10:27 AM
I don't see very many people clamoring to bring Colquitt back. I, for one, still agree with the decision to get rid of him, it just would have been nice to see Dixon do better on the punt at the end of the game. I will admit after looking at his stats I might have been a bit harsh on him, but at altitude one might expect at least a slightly better performance.

It looked bad, and Collinsworth immediately started with the "oh, that's not good. That's not what they wanted there" but that was at least partially due to the fact that the returner was lined up deep, because Dixon's previous punt was 50 something yards. I agree, I would have preferred a little more hang time, and a 5 or so more yards, but I would rather him kick it to the 40 when he's standing on the 5 yard line when he gets the punt, then have him kick it has far as he can, way out kick the coverage and massively increase the chance of a big return.

There is a fine line between a long, high punt that can be covered, and a low, long punt that out kicks the coverage and can result in a big return and low net (or worse a TD).

Simple Jaded
09-11-2016, 02:51 PM

Yeah but he's a Colorado kid who can punt like a big dog.

#bamadeadtome

TXBRONC
09-11-2016, 10:19 PM

It was just a question.

VonDoom
12-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Patrick Smyth Verified account
‏@psmyth12

Drafted by @johnelway in 7th rd, #Broncos' @RileyTDixon92 currently has the highest net punting average (41.4) by any rookie in NFL history.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 13m13 minutes ago

If you think Riley Dixon hasn't been an upgrade over a punter who was 24th, 28th & 19th in net avg. from 2013-15, you don't know football.

Mason then responded to someone who said Dixon was a downgrade from Colquitt:

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 21m21 minutes ago

Andrew Mason Retweeted Jonny

I know you're wrong. Dixon's net average is 1.7 yards better than Colquitt last year. Colquitt was 19th in net in 2015; Dixon 8th this year.

Tned
12-06-2016, 02:48 PM
Patrick Smyth Verified account
‏@psmyth12

Drafted by @johnelway in 7th rd, #Broncos' @RileyTDixon92 currently has the highest net punting average (41.4) by any rookie in NFL history.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 13m13 minutes ago

If you think Riley Dixon hasn't been an upgrade over a punter who was 24th, 28th & 19th in net avg. from 2013-15, you don't know football.

Mason then responded to someone who said Dixon was a downgrade from Colquitt:

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 21m21 minutes ago

Andrew Mason Retweeted Jonny

I know you're wrong. Dixon's net average is 1.7 yards better than Colquitt last year. Colquitt was 19th in net in 2015; Dixon 8th this year.

Goes along with the nonsense about "shanks" in the game day threads.

Us fans have short and clouded memories. People remember the four or five good games that Colquitt had in the playoffs and to end the year, not the horrible last couple years where people were regularly calling for him to be cut.

BroncoWave
12-06-2016, 02:59 PM
Someone hide Danny's eyes!

NightTerror218
12-06-2016, 06:32 PM
And i dont think many of his kicks get returned far on average.

Tned
12-06-2016, 06:35 PM
And i dont think many of his kicks get returned far on average.

He rarely outkicks his coverage, and most of the returns seem to be due to missed tackles.

NightTerror218
12-06-2016, 07:01 PM
He rarely outkicks his coverage, and most of the returns seem to be due to missed tackles.

I miss when games use to have the hangtime clock on punts.

Tned
12-06-2016, 07:16 PM
I miss when games use to have the hangtime clock on punts.

Agreed. I also get the feeling that his punts don't have as much hang time as they should, but based on the results of returns (or lack there of) when there isn't a missed tackle, it seems like it's enough hang time. Maybe like others, his big, gangly kicking style just makes it look wrong and tricks my brain.

Lynch12
12-07-2016, 01:22 PM
Is Dixon that bad?

Tned
12-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Is Dixon that bad?

No, he's very good for a "young" rookie punter.

Lynch12
12-07-2016, 01:51 PM
I haven't noticed him being as bad as some make it seem.

Tned
12-07-2016, 01:57 PM
I haven't noticed him being as bad as some make it seem.

Nope, like most of the Trevor criticism, it's emotional meltdowns in the middle of a game, and not fact based criticism.