PDA

View Full Version : Broncos vs Panthers NFL Season Opener and Predictions

WARHORSE
09-07-2016, 05:02 PM
The good news and the bad news.

The bad news.

Cam Newton and the Panthers have a chip on their shoulders. (a Dorito I think) Eager to get the taste of the superbowl loss out of their mouths, they will be looking to make a statement.
They have two new receivers we have to contend with. Kelvin Benjamin and Funchess. Yes, Funchess was there last year but really as a rookie, he wasnt. Both these guys are gonna be a problem in the redzone. Both these guys are tall and can win the jump ball. Add to that mix TE Greg, RB Stewart, and Cam.....thats a problem for any defense. Be njamin will be a threat wherever he lines up on every play.
Their defense is gonna come after Siemian. Welcome to the jungle kind of a song they'll be singing. Anyone look at the first few plays in the superbowl? Just imagine Siemian under center on those plays. I sure hope we run the ball well. Draw play or screen on the first play from scrimmage. All of a sudden I miss Peyton.
Our Oline hasnt played together. This is gonna show its head and I hope our young QB doesnt get his head twisted off.
This team is well coached and Im sure they plan on heading home with a W. They will be all out for this game. Means more to them I think than us......in their minds.

Edit: Oh, I sure hope they arent too hard on our new punter...... :(

The good news.

We run a new offense. Our run game will be much more for them to deal with. Our new fullback is gonna help brand the Broncos logo on their
foreheads. This offense will be the complete Kubiak/Shanahan offense, and Siemian will have a much easier time with this than with the mess we
had last year, trying to meld the two offenses.
Our Oline is better. Meaner, leaner and more geared for power running. I think we will catch them by surprise here.
Our defense is going to be better. Second year in the system, our pass rushers are the deepest in the league. Does Cam think we put pressure on him last year? Wait till he has to use a silent count. Von and company with an extra half second due to the crowd noise? Just look at what it did to Tom Brady. Cam is going to get hit ALOT. I see us with at least two INTs, and two FFs.
We have the deep ball. The difference in defending Peytons arm and Siemians is going to show itself to be very important. I see at least one long TD score in this game from Siemian. Probably DT.
If we pound the ball well in the first 15 scripted plays, it will be a long day for the Panthers.
Not having Norman is gonna prove to have a bigger impact than they think. Theres a rookie out there waiting to be baptized into the NFL.
The TEs will play a big role.

Prediction: Panthers will learn that Siemian is qualified to drive this Superbowl Monster Truck. He wont need to catch air. Wont need to. Four wheeling and car smashing will be the gameplan.

Broncos 24

Panthers 17......maybe

Pudge
09-07-2016, 05:05 PM
Hi war!!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forum Runner

WARHORSE
09-07-2016, 05:08 PM
Hi war!!

My man Pudge! Lookin forward to some Broncos!!!

Pudge
09-07-2016, 05:11 PM
My man Pudge! Lookin forward to some Broncos!!!

Me too! Are you going to make a game this year?

atwater27
09-07-2016, 06:10 PM
I think Denver will lose this game. We aren't going to beat a loaded Panthers team twice in a row without Malik Jackson, Trevathan and with a new, ungelled offensive line and an untested new young QB in his first game as a starter. Just aint gonna happen. Chalk this one up to breaking the new offense in and a learning experience for them. They will run hard at our new, 3rd string quality defensive end, they will do designed runs with Cam and hit us in our new weak spot with Greg Olsen. Their formidable defense will feast on Trevor, and I wouldn't be too hard on him, this is quite a first test. If I'm wrong and Denver wins this one, look out NFL we are primed to repeat.

Northman
09-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Meh, Cam didnt look great in preseason. Especially for a guy with as many games under his belt and playing vanilla defenses. In 3 games in the preseason he was 27/48 298 Yds, 1 TD, 2 Ints. That doesnt really scream out "dominating" to me. I like that Denver is at home, gives us the edge and we still have one if not THE best defense in the NFL. All Von and company has to do is get into Cam's head again and he will fold.

OrangeHoof
09-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Can you imagine what it will feel like for Semien to start that game? Big difference from Northwestern.

WARHORSE
09-07-2016, 09:37 PM
I think Denver will lose this game. We aren't going to beat a loaded Panthers team twice in a row without Malik Jackson, Trevathan and with a new, ungelled offensive line and an untested new young QB in his first game as a starter. Just aint gonna happen. Chalk this one up to breaking the new offense in and a learning experience for them. They will run hard at our new, 3rd string quality defensive end, they will do designed runs with Cam and hit us in our new weak spot with Greg Olsen. Their formidable defense will feast on Trevor, and I wouldn't be too hard on him, this is quite a first test. If I'm wrong and Denver wins this one, look out NFL we are primed to repeat.

Possible. But if we can score 20 points we can win imo.

Our defense will be lights out.

WARHORSE
09-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Cam is going to have flashbacks.

Magnificent Seven
09-08-2016, 01:02 AM

What are you talking about?! We got Shane Ray and Shaquil Barrett. Billy Winn and Dakota Watson! They are hungry and desired! What's more? They are going to rotate their defensive front like crazy! Believe in Orange Crush Defense!

Magnificent Seven
09-08-2016, 01:03 AM
Here are my reasons why Cam Newton CAN'T HANDLE THREE THINGS AT ONCE!

1. It will be Cam Newton's first trip to DENVER! He has no idea about Mile High Madness! Dazed & Confused!

2. Mile High Altitude! Thin Air will slow Panthers' offense down! Newton will have hard time breathing on the field and he will get Mile High Altitude Sickness!

3. Mile High Loud + Orange Crush Defense = Newton will get knocked down, dazed, and confused!

Broncos will win! Mark My Words!

Joel
09-08-2016, 02:56 AM
Our Oline is better. Meaner, leaner and more geared for power running. I think we will catch them by surprise here.
If you say so; last I heard we didn't even know who HALF OUR STARTERS are, and the game's TOMORROW.

I still hold out hope a second year of Dennison will produce a serviceable unit (rather than Okung being solid while Garcia and Paradis make a few plays here and there; that's not how a line works.) But not in <24 hours. That means we'll need one HELL of a FB for CJ or Booker to do anything, and if they can't: Well, Trev, you get your first pro start in a SB rematch for the reigning champs against a solid D that's had half a year to plot vengeance (no pressure, kid....)

Jaws
09-08-2016, 03:12 AM
T'is the season to be crazy and get up in the middle of the night to watch football :D

GO BRONCOS!!

WARHORSE
09-08-2016, 03:15 AM
If you say so; last I heard we didn't even know who HALF OUR STARTERS are, and the game's TOMORROW.

I still hold out hope a second year of Dennison will produce a serviceable unit (rather than Okung being solid while Garcia and Paradis make a few plays here and there; that's not how a line works.) But not in <24 hours. That means we'll need one HELL of a FB for CJ or Booker to do anything, and if they can't: Well, Trev, you get your first pro start in a SB rematch for the reigning champs against a solid D that's had half a year to plot vengeance (no pressure, kid....)

True and I said that. They havent played together and thats alot. However, they are a BETTER group of olinemen.

We'll find out tomorrow for sure.

Lets hope they pull it off.

Broncoknight30
09-08-2016, 06:55 AM
A few things we will be able to expect from the Panthers. Like any unproven QB coming into the NFL and first time starter and with the presumption that Kubiak is going to run the ball, the Panthers will be putting 8 or 9 men in that box. Safeties will be cheating up and challenging Siemian to beat them in the air. That is going to be their plan. Not exactly Einstein saying that.

The Panthers have unproven DBs, specifically at corner. I am hoping and anticipating Kubiak calling for a 8 or 9 route with DT early. Maybe even the first play. We know their plays are scripted, and I am hoping they establish early on that the Broncos will not be dictated to. If they go with an overly conservative predictable offense that plays right into what the Panthers will most likely be doing, it may get frustrating.

Broncos defense I am anticipating will not be as good as last year. Sorry, until they can prove that Malik Jacksons or Travathan's departure will not hurt, I have to assume they will be missed a little. The defense looked decent (back ups) in the FIRST preseason against the Bears, and then they looked like hot crap.

Hard to predict, but I am hoping behind the home crowd the defense will inevitably shut down Cam again. He is rather easy to rattle. When things are not going his way, he tends to get pouty. However, when he starts to produce and he starts getting confident, he is really dynamic.

I predict Broncos win, 27-16.

OrangeHoof
09-08-2016, 08:58 AM
Super Bowl Champions are 5-8 (2-11 against the spread) in the Week 1 opener the following year. Want some better news? Denver was a 4-1/2 point dog against Carolina in the Super Bowl. They're just a 3 point dog for this game. Subtract the 3-point home field advantage and what they are really saying is that Denver is a six-point dog were this game on a neutral field, still within a TD, and how much did we win by in the Super Bowl? Last February's results showed the Broncos were 18-1/2 points better than Vegas' expectations so, by that standard, we ought to win in the 14-21 point range.

BroncoJoe
09-08-2016, 09:21 AM
The Broncos are 12-1 in their opening game over the past 13 years. They're 36-19-1 all time, which ranks 1st in the AFC, 2nd in the NFL.

GEM
09-08-2016, 10:07 AM

Is there a positive bone in your body? Do you even enjoy the Broncos? Just wow...

shank
09-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Broncos win 23-13

spikerman
09-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Denver probably will not be able to run the ball effectively tonight because the Panthers know they want to run and that plays to their strength. The key is for Seimian to attack the rookie corners who won't have much help because they'll be stacking the box. I'm excited to see if he can make them pay.

BroncoJoe
09-08-2016, 10:28 AM
I think Kubiak will come out throwing. We'll need to pass first to open up the run game.

spikerman
09-08-2016, 10:38 AM
The crowd needs to bring the noise to give the Broncos' pass rushers a chance to get that good jump. If we (the crowd) can replicate the noise from the AFCCG it will be a huge advantage for the good guys.

WARHORSE
09-09-2016, 02:23 AM
Figured we would open with a deep pass or a run........very encouraged in the confidence shown in Siemian. He played way above what Id hoped.
I think we got something to work with!

DenBronx
09-09-2016, 03:39 AM
The good news and the bad news.

The bad news.

Cam Newton and the Panthers have a chip on their shoulders. (a Dorito I think) Eager to get the taste of the superbowl loss out of their mouths, they will be looking to make a statement.
They have two new receivers we have to contend with. Kelvin Benjamin and Funchess. Yes, Funchess was there last year but really as a rookie, he wasnt. Both these guys are gonna be a problem in the redzone. Both these guys are tall and can win the jump ball. Add to that mix TE Greg, RB Stewart, and Cam.....thats a problem for any defense. Be njamin will be a threat wherever he lines up on every play.
Their defense is gonna come after Siemian. Welcome to the jungle kind of a song they'll be singing. Anyone look at the first few plays in the superbowl? Just imagine Siemian under center on those plays. I sure hope we run the ball well. Draw play or screen on the first play from scrimmage. All of a sudden I miss Peyton.
Our Oline hasnt played together. This is gonna show its head and I hope our young QB doesnt get his head twisted off.
This team is well coached and Im sure they plan on heading home with a W. They will be all out for this game. Means more to them I think than us......in their minds.

Edit: Oh, I sure hope they arent too hard on our new punter...... :(

The good news.

We run a new offense. Our run game will be much more for them to deal with. Our new fullback is gonna help brand the Broncos logo on their
foreheads. This offense will be the complete Kubiak/Shanahan offense, and Siemian will have a much easier time with this than with the mess we
had last year, trying to meld the two offenses.
Our defense is going to be better. Second year in the system, our pass rushers are the deepest in the league. Does Cam think we put pressure on him last year? Wait till he has to use a silent count. Von and company with an extra half second due to the crowd noise? Just look at what it did to Tom Brady. Cam is going to get hit ALOT. I see us with at least two INTs, and two FFs.
We have the deep ball. The difference in defending Peytons arm and Siemians is going to show itself to be very important. I see at least one long TD score in this game from Siemian. Probably DT.
If we pound the ball well in the first 15 scripted plays, it will be a long day for the Panthers.
Not having Norman is gonna prove to have a bigger impact than they think. Theres a rookie out there waiting to be baptized into the NFL.
The TEs will play a big role.

Prediction: Panthers will learn that Siemian is qualified to drive this Superbowl Monster Truck. He wont need to catch air. Wont need to. Four wheeling and car smashing will be the gameplan.

Broncos 24

Panthers 17......maybe

Ok man, you post alot of crazy things but props on a solid prediction. :)

WARHORSE
09-10-2016, 12:30 PM
Ok man, you post alot of crazy things but props on a solid prediction. :)

Thanks. And yes I thrive in crazy.

I was off some.

Things that excite me about this win:

The defense was off, in so many ways, especially in the first half.....and we still beat a great offense.

We turned the ball over three times......and still found a way to win against a very, very good team.

We ran the ball against what in my opinion is the best front seven in football....to the tune of 5.1 ypc. CJ ran to the tune of 4.6....thats awesome against Panthers.

Our new fullback averages 28 yards and 1 touchdown per touch. MONSTAH. lol

Demarcus Ware on a snap count. Keep that man healthy, he will lead us to back to the superbowl.

Shane Ray making his presence known although not starting.

Our Oline had some miscues.......first time playing together......Im drooling.

Our punter was someone I was concerned about if we needed a punt pinned against our endzone.....the man played to his size. Big game for Dixon. A+

This is the true Broncos offense from 97, 98 and this young fullback spanked one of the best LBers in the league multiple times. SPANKED.

Our young QB played a very calm, cool game. I loved everything I saw and the two INTs dont bother me at all. He knew where to go with the ball and he made not only quick decisions, but smart ones. Oh....and hes mobile.

We will have a balanced attack on offense. Siemian will be brought along slowly but will gain confidence with this win. I imagine Kubiak will open him up a little bit which will lead to more interceptions but part of becoming a great QB in this league is about learning on the field what you can and cant do.

Im pumped.

TXBRONC
09-10-2016, 01:22 PM
Siemian did play very well but there is still a lot of football to be played to figure out what Denver actually has in him.

slim
09-10-2016, 01:32 PM
the broncos are 12-1 in their opening game over the past 13 years. They're 36-19-1 all time, which ranks 1st in the afc, 2nd in the nfl.

37-19-1 :d

atwater27
09-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Psyched about our oline, the poise of Trevor against a STOUT front 7. The linebackers did an amazing job, as did the corners against a very tall receiving corps. Von was getting held all day and Wolfe was too. My only issue is that the defense is doing the same stupid shit penalty wise they did all last year. That uncalled hit by Marshall was as idiotic as his misplaced angst towards his country. They could have gotten 3 more 15 yard penalties than they did, which would have guaranteed a loss. And I really hope Gotsis can progress quickly so we can have some interior penetration.

TXBRONC
09-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Psyched about our oline, the poise of Trevor against a STOUT front 7. The linebackers did an amazing job, as did the corners against a very tall receiving corps. Von was getting held all day and Wolfe was too. My only issue is that the defense is doing the same stupid shit penalty wise they did all last year. That uncalled hit by Marshall was as idiotic as his misplaced angst towards his country. They could have gotten 3 more 15 yard penalties than they did, which would have guaranteed a loss. And I really hope Gotsis can progress quickly so we can have some interior penetration.

I was pleasantly surprised at just how well Denver was able to run against their front seven.

Joel
09-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Is there a positive bone in your body? Do you even enjoy the Broncos? Just wow...
I'm definitely a "glass half empty" kind of guy, but yeah, I often enjoy the Broncos, especially when they exceed my expectations. As noted in the previous post, I "hope," but that doesn't require blindness to the proverbial facts on the ground.

Like TWO FULL SEASONS of practically EVERYONE associated with the NFL publicly discussing how pathetically useless our line was.

Or that multiple injuries and general lack of depth made the very NAMES (much less performance) of our Opening Day RG and RT very uncertain.

The run blocking pleasantly surprised me (too,) and that I enjoyed very much. That said (and bearing in mind that I couldn't see the game) pass protection was awful on each of Siemians Ints, as well as his near-Int and the early pass where he pump faked a guy in his face before sidearming a throw around him. I enjoyed Siemians ability to improvise far more than his frequent NEED to improvise.

MOtorboat
09-11-2016, 08:52 AM
You got one thing right, you didn't see the game.

Joel
09-11-2016, 09:07 AM
I just find it amusing that when Schlereth publicly, viciously and ACCURATELY trashed our line everyone said he was off his nut—but now that he says they're much improved he's suddenly the Voice of Blocking God. HE didn't change: Our line did (hopefully...).

MOtorboat
09-11-2016, 09:08 AM
You just got done criticizing the offensive line for its blocking on a screen pass where they are literally not supposed to block.

Um.

Joel
09-11-2016, 09:12 AM
You just got done criticizing the offensive line for its blocking on a screen pass where they are literally not supposed to block.

Um.
Fair enough, but I referenced FOUR passes: You gonna sit there pretending they were ALL screens?

MOtorboat
09-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Fair enough, but I referenced FOUR passes: You gonna sit there pretending they were ALL screens?

I stopped reading after you stupidly criticized them for a screen pass and said you didn't watch the game.

BroncoJoe
09-11-2016, 09:21 AM
and bearing in mind that i couldn't see the game)

lol.

Joel
09-11-2016, 10:38 AM
I stopped reading after you stupidly criticized them for a screen pass and said you didn't watch the game.
I comment on games I skim so you comment on posts you skim; seems fair.

Next game's Sunday, so I get to see ALL of it, not just clips someone else pre-selected.

MOtorboat
09-11-2016, 10:56 AM
I comment on games I skim so you comment on posts you skim; seems fair.

Next game's Sunday, so I get to see ALL of it, not just clips someone else pre-selected.

That's not my problem.

And I was going to read your whiny ass post, not skim it and then you admitted to not watching the game (shit, it was even on free TV!) and subsequently criticized the offensive line for the turnovers you saw on a highlights package, so I stopped reading, because why read past that? It was just stupid and it deserves any and all ridicule that follows.

spikerman
09-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Man, you two should get a room.

Joel
09-11-2016, 04:10 PM
That's not my problem.

And I was going to read your whiny ass post, not skim it and then you admitted to not watching the game (shit, it was even on free TV!) and subsequently criticized the offensive line for the turnovers you saw on a highlights package, so I stopped reading, because why read past that? It was just stupid and it deserves any and all ridicule that follows.
My employer prefers I (and pays me to) do my job rather than watch TV, free or otherwise.

TXBRONC
09-11-2016, 06:08 PM
I just find it amusing that when Schlereth publicly, viciously and ACCURATELY trashed our line everyone said he was off his nut—but now that he says they're much improved he's suddenly the Voice of Blocking God. HE didn't change: Our line did (hopefully...).

Ah no. There was wide agreement with Schlereth's assessment of the offensive line last season.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Ah no. There was wide agreement with Schlereth's assessment of offensive line last season.

This is why I was really encouraged when Schlereth said the line looked good during TC/preseason this year.

Joel
09-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Ah no. There was wide agreement with Schlereth's assessment of offensive line last season.
Not any of the many times I cited him there wasn't. NOW our 2015 line was so bad they "merited" special mention in our championship retrospective film, but THEN they could do no wrong, and anyone who said otherwise was just a Negative Nancy.

TXBRONC
09-12-2016, 06:59 AM
Not any of the many times I cited him there wasn't. NOW our 2015 line was so bad they "merited" special mention in our championship retrospective film, but THEN they could do no wrong, and anyone who said otherwise was just a Negative Nancy.

You're full of garbage.

slim
09-12-2016, 08:27 AM
Man, you two should get a room.

They should share a seat in the back of car....in closed garage and leave the car running.

TXBRONC
09-12-2016, 09:17 AM
They should share a seat in the back of car....in closed garage and leave the car running.

Ouch.

GEM
09-12-2016, 09:29 AM
I'm definitely a "glass half empty" kind of guy, but yeah, I often enjoy the Broncos, especially when they exceed my expectations. As noted in the previous post, I "hope," but that doesn't require blindness to the proverbial facts on the ground.

Like TWO FULL SEASONS of practically EVERYONE associated with the NFL publicly discussing how pathetically useless our line was.

Or that multiple injuries and general lack of depth made the very NAMES (much less performance) of our Opening Day RG and RT very uncertain.

The run blocking pleasantly surprised me (too,) and that I enjoyed very much. That said (and bearing in mind that I couldn't see the game) pass protection was awful on each of Siemians Ints, as well as his near-Int and the early pass where he pump faked a guy in his face before sidearming a throw around him. I enjoyed Siemians ability to improvise far more than his frequent NEED to improvise.

And yet they still won the Super Bowl. And you would never focus on that...here's what you say......

Joel: Yes, they won the Super Bowl, but their line was terrible.
Any other fan: Who gives a shit about the line, we won the Super Bowl.
Joel: But the line sucks
Any other fan: *slaps forehead and gives up

Northman
09-12-2016, 09:41 AM
Joel was never one to be satisfied with just 1 SB win despite the fact its the first one in almost 20 years. Denver could suck for the next 3 years and i wouldnt give a shit. Im going to enjoy this last one for quite a while.

TXBRONC
09-12-2016, 10:01 AM
Joel was never one to be satisfied with just 1 SB win despite the fact its the first one in almost 20 years. Denver could suck for the next 3 years and i wouldnt give a shit. Im going to enjoy this last one for quite a while.

It's freaking crazy Denver's wins Super Bowl but it's more important to bitch like they didn't make the playoffs let alone have a winning record.

Northman
09-12-2016, 10:23 AM
It's freaking crazy Denver's wins Super Bowl but it's more important to bitch like they didn't make the playoffs let alone have a winning record.

No matter how much Shanahan struggled we still got within one game of the SB with Jake Freeking Plummer of all people. Somehow this team was able to make the playoffs with Timmy Teebow. Point is, ive been a fan of the Broncos since 1982 and while i may question a player here or there the organization as a whole has never steered me wrong and has always delivered when it mattered. Even if Siemian or Lynch arent the answer i know that John Elway will do whatever it takes to make the right moves to get this team in the hunt for a championship. Denver may or may not have the kind of legacy the Pats do in terms of consistent SB appearances but Denver will also never have the asterisk next to their name in the process. At the end of the day things could be a lot lot worse. We could be the Cleveland Browns for goodness sake. Sometimes you just have to tolerate the growing pains and enjoy the success you do have because some clubs havent tasted that sweetness and most certainly have not had the kind of winning formula the Broncos have had for 30 plus years. Ill take that anyday and enjoy the shit out of it.