PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for the Broncos’ boring new offense. They love it.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-06-2016, 07:21 PM
C.J. Anderson wears a grin a little bigger and a little brighter sitting at the end of the row of running backs in the Broncos’ renovated locker room. He is smiling at the possibilities.

“I’m happy,” he said. “I’m definitely going to get the opportunity.”

Last season, Anderson fell in step with an inconsistent Broncos offense that was among the worst in the NFL for much of the season, due in part to Peyton Manning’s struggles throwing the ball. Coach Gary Kubiak preferred that Manning play under center. Manning preferred operating out of a pistol set. Then Manning got hurt at midseason, and Brock Osweiler took over until Manning got called upon in the last regular season game.

The Broncos seemingly stitched together their offensive identity like a raggedy rug, right up to the Super Bowl.

“We were learning. We were trying to mix two systems,” Anderson said. “There were a bunch of things we were doing last year that we’re definitely not doing this year.”

In seven short months since the Broncos won the Super Bowl, their worldview changed. When the national eye turns toward Denver on Thursday night for the season opener against Carolina, football fans will learn all they can about the Broncos’ offense, because so much is unknown.

They will find a new quarterback, Trevor Siemian, a seventh-round draft pick whose name stumps even the most hard-core fantasy-league freaks, leading an offense geared toward being effectively boring, with safe passes and an emphasis on minimizing turnovers.

Meet the new Broncos offense. They just met each other.

“Just sit back and relax and watch,” Anderson said. “It should be fun.”

rest - much more - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/06/get-ready-for-broncos-boring-new-offense-they-love-it/

Simple Jaded
09-06-2016, 10:02 PM
We're screwed!

Jaws
09-06-2016, 10:02 PM
I'm up for some "boredom" just as long as the W's keep coming in :D

DenBronx
09-06-2016, 10:37 PM
I hate our offense.

Simple Jaded
09-06-2016, 10:57 PM
I hate our offense.

I especially hate the part where they don't throw every down, it's like "C'mon! This isn't 2015 anymore".

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-07-2016, 12:36 AM
I especially hate the part where they don't throw every down, it's like "C'mon! This isn't 2015 anymore".

Fer reelz doe!

MOtorboat
09-07-2016, 12:56 AM
Do you boys like three and outs!?!

Joel
09-07-2016, 05:15 AM
More like 2015 wasn't 2013 anymore. Everyone who preferred rewriting the passing record book to the golden numerals flanking our Lombardi raise your hand. Everyone remembers Bart Starr winning the Ice Bowl with a RUN as time expired (and with no time outs at that,) but not everyone remembers how GB got to the FIRST SB when the tables were turned: Dallas facing G to Go for the lead, and Dandy Don lobs one into the end zone—for an Int (think Russell Wilson remembers?)

"Remember what Vince Lombardi said: 'If you lose, you're out of the family!'" ;)

dogfish
09-07-2016, 11:04 AM
Do you boys like three and outs!?!

we're gonna start a new campaign. . . Throw For MO!!

The Glue Factory
09-07-2016, 11:09 AM

Whenever they do throw can we call it a "Mo Thro"? :D

Mike
09-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Denver is going to need to use the pass to set up the run. Defenses will not respect Siemian and will be crowding the LOS. If Kubiak insists on run-run-run...run-run-pass...then we are going to be in trouble. The defense is only so good if they stay fresh.

BroncoJoe
09-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Whenever they do throw can we call it a "Mo Thro"? :D

I like "Throw MO" better.

The Glue Factory
09-07-2016, 11:29 AM
I like "Throw MO" better.

Throw mo, Mo Thros?

The Glue Factory
09-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Denver is going to need to use the pass to set up the run. Defenses will not respect Siemian and will be crowding the LOS. If Kubiak insists on run-run-run...run-run-pass...then we are going to be in trouble. The defense is only so good if they stay fresh.

SB50 indicates otherwise. Only 1 third down conversion for the Broncos if memory serves.

dogfish
09-07-2016, 11:38 AM

somebody call up mike martz. . . :D

TXBRONC
09-07-2016, 11:49 AM

I'm sure Kubiak is aware of this possibility. At some point Siemian will have to show that he can throw over the top with accuracy.

BroncoWave
09-07-2016, 12:12 PM
SB50 indicates otherwise. Only 1 third down conversion for the Broncos if memory serves.

That's not going to be a typical game though. If we consistently go three and out this year to the degree we did in that game, we won't consistently be bailed out by defensive TDs, turnovers inside the 5, and 61 yard punt returns like we had in that game. The offense has to be better than they were in that game if we're going to consistently win.

MOtorboat
09-07-2016, 12:16 PM

That's not sustainable. Lightning doesn't strike twice and all.

slim
09-07-2016, 12:52 PM

MO hates the running game....HATES.

It is unfortunate.....

MOtorboat
09-07-2016, 12:53 PM

It is unfortunate.....

Also incorrect.

:balloons:

Timmy!
09-07-2016, 12:55 PM
That's not sustainable. Lightning doesn't strike twice and all.

Well actually it can......but.....

slim
09-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Also incorrect.

:balloons:

Do you remember when TD ran for 2000?

Timmy!
09-07-2016, 12:59 PM

Mo was probably yelling at the TV all year. Moar passing!!

MOtorboat
09-07-2016, 01:00 PM

That was so awesome.

MOtorboat
09-07-2016, 01:04 PM
I'm so misunderstood...

LawDog
09-07-2016, 01:55 PM

It is unfortunate.....

When the running game consists of Ronnie Hillman running at the B gap over and over, we all hate the running game. Thankfully those days are over.

TXBRONC
09-07-2016, 02:12 PM
I'm so misunderstood...

I don't think so. You have made clear that you believe throwing the football 60% of the time is the best way to go.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-07-2016, 02:15 PM
1. TREVOR SIEMIAN WILL HAVE THE FREEDOM TO MAKE CALLS AT THE LINE

Nobody expects Siemian to be at Peyton Manning's level in terms of how he makes his pre-snap checks and calls.

Manning was like Leonard Bernstein at the line of scrimmage, but that was a skill at which he never stopped improving; some of his pre-snap reads in the postseason last year were among the most prescient of his career.

But Siemian has the natural intelligence and command of the offense to make a change when the situation demands it.

"We have to give him freedom. We've got to let him play," Kubiak said. "Obviously when you're talking about a Hall of Famer [like Manning will be], that package will be a little bit bigger. But Trevor's a smart kid, and one of the reasons he's gotten himself in this position is because he's able to handle a lot.

"It's going to be up to him to make sure he gets us in the right situations, and we've also got to help him, too, and keep him in the right situations."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Five-things-you-should-know-from-the-Broncos-Tuesday-work/1f099fa2-0b7e-4dbd-8409-673495bef4e9

BroncoJoe
09-07-2016, 02:53 PM
I'm so misunderstood...

Or, you don't speak clearly.

slim
09-07-2016, 03:13 PM
That was so awesome.

Now imagine if he had done that in orange pants!

The Glue Factory
09-07-2016, 03:30 PM

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Not a pretty sight.

TXBRONC
09-07-2016, 03:31 PM

FWIW, his home uniform pants had an orange stripes down each side.

MOtorboat
09-07-2016, 03:39 PM
Or, you don't speak clearly.

No. I think I'm quite clear. The most efficient way to reach first downs is passing. I don't even think that's disputable, though some have tried. One method averages 7 per play and 11 per completion and the other method averages four. So when your team is averaging 3 on the latter method, you're not going to get a lot of first downs using it.

When Terrell Davis ran for 2,000 yards he averaged 5.1 yards per carry. Now, maybe Slim can help me out with the math here, but at that rate it only takes two plays for a first down. That specific year, that method was more efficient. Right? Did I do that math right? So, if they get to 4.5-5 yards per carry, then by all means, run to your heart's content. It's still less efficient than passing, but it accomplishes the same job.

Timmy!
09-07-2016, 03:43 PM
I don't think Mo really understands how much orange pants will help the running game.

BroncoJoe
09-07-2016, 03:44 PM
No. I think I'm quite clear. The most efficient way to reach first downs is passing. I don't even think that's disputable, though some have tried. One method averages 7 per play and 11 per completion and the other method averages four. So when your team is averaging 3 on the latter method, you're not going to get a lot of first downs using it.

When Terrell Davis ran for 2,000 yards he averaged 5.1 yards per carry. Now, maybe Slim can help me out with the math here, but at that rate it only takes two plays for a first down. That specific year, that method was more efficient. Right? Did I do that math right? So, if they get to 4.5-5 yards per carry, then by all means, run to your heart's content. It's still less efficient than passing, but it accomplishes the same job.

So, we should just pass every down? There's no value to running?

Last year, the Broncos (the only team I really care about) averaged 4.1 YPC running and 6.2 NY/A. Not a huge difference.

Timmy!
09-07-2016, 03:45 PM

Obviously Joe.

#math

BroncoJoe
09-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Obviously Joe.

#math

There's zero benefit to running the ball in a football game.

None.

#MOsThinking

MOtorboat
09-07-2016, 03:49 PM

Last year, the Broncos (the only team I really care about) averaged 4.1 YPC running and 6.2 NY/A. Not a huge difference.

Good grief. Did you not read what I wrote? Because that's not at all what I said.

BroncoJoe
09-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Good grief. Did you not read what I wrote? Because that's not at all what I said.

I stopped reading your posts. You're too negative. I'm going to start calling you MOJoel.

dogfish
09-07-2016, 04:25 PM
guys, i believe i've identified the problem here. . . it's not that MOseph inherently hates the running game-- he's just gotten so caught up on ronnie hillman that he's forgotten what effective running looks like. . . no wonder he wants to pass every down!

#ThrowForMO

BroncoJoe
09-07-2016, 04:27 PM
guys, i believe i've identified the problem here. . . it's not that MOseph inherently hates the running game-- he's just gotten so caught up on ronnie hillman that he's forgotten what effective running looks like. . . no wonder he wants to pass every down!

#ThrowForMO

#ThrowForMO

Love it!

MOtorboat
09-07-2016, 04:28 PM
I stopped reading your posts. You're too negative. I'm going to start calling you MOJoel.

So you didn't read it. That makes more sense. You should read it. Good insights in there.

BroncoJoe
09-07-2016, 04:30 PM

So you didn't read it. That makes more sense. You should read it. Good insights in there.

I read it.

#ThrowForMO!
#NeverRun
#GroundGameSucks
#PassOnlyBecuaseItsBetter

BroncoWave
09-07-2016, 05:23 PM

I called him Joeltorboat once, I really like that one. :D

MOtorboat
09-07-2016, 06:06 PM
Joe whining about negativity is funny.

BroncoJoe
09-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Joe whining about negativity is funny.

You're not funny.

MOtorboat
09-08-2016, 12:11 PM
You're not funny.

You spent last year as a wet rag. Don't deny it.

BroncoJoe
09-08-2016, 12:37 PM
You spent last year as a wet rag. Don't deny it.

One year out of 54 isn't bad. It's been your hole life!

MOtorboat
09-08-2016, 12:49 PM
One year out of 54 isn't bad. It's been your hole life!

You've mistaken me with someone else. Hope you enjoy the day as much as I plan to!

slim
09-08-2016, 01:24 PM
I called him Joeltorboat once, I really like that one. :D

Good one.

Timmy!
09-08-2016, 01:42 PM
It's been in your hole!

Oh my.

dogfish
09-08-2016, 03:44 PM
It's been your hole life!

is this some kind of hobbit joke?