PDA

View Full Version : Terrance Knighton available. The one gap system and Wade Philips.

Broncoknight30
09-01-2016, 08:23 AM
He did not work out in NE for simple reason that he did not adjust well to the Belichick 2 gap system. He is only 30 and seems to still have plenty of football in his. At least according to him.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4795168/why-didnt-it-work-out-for-terrance-knighton-with-patriots
Knighton was a class act in his time with the Patriots and showed up to training camp in good enough physical shape to pass the team's conditioning test. Knighton's conditioning had been an issue at times in the past.

So his release from the Patriots is less about those factors and more about how the adjustment to the team's two-gap defensive scheme was a challenge for him.

A two-gap technique requires defensive tackles to get their hands into the breastplate of an offensive lineman and control them while playing with patience and being responsible for the gap to each side. It is a technique Knighton had not played in the first seven years of his career with the Jaguars (2009-12), Broncos (2013-14) and Redskins (2015). In signing Knighton, the Patriots were projecting that transition could be made. But similar to their 2013 trade for defensive tackle Isaac Sopoaga, it didn't work out.

ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi once passed along a simple way of highlighting the key to look for when determining if a two-gapping defensive lineman has carried out the responsibility, saying that if a TV viewer sees the numbers on the back of his jersey, it's a troubling sign because the defensive tackle has been turned and thus wasn't controlling the blocker.

Well, Philips actually plays (traditionally) the one gap system. Sort of surprised there is no interest in him for at least depth behind Sylvester. IMO, he is a perfect NT in that one gap 3-4 system.

Davii
09-01-2016, 09:18 AM
He did not work out in NE for simple reason that he did not adjust well to the Belichick 2 gap system. He is only 30 and seems to still have plenty of football in his. At least according to him.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4795168/why-didnt-it-work-out-for-terrance-knighton-with-patriots
Knighton was a class act in his time with the Patriots and showed up to training camp in good enough physical shape to pass the team's conditioning test. Knighton's conditioning had been an issue at times in the past.

So his release from the Patriots is less about those factors and more about how the adjustment to the team's two-gap defensive scheme was a challenge for him.

A two-gap technique requires defensive tackles to get their hands into the breastplate of an offensive lineman and control them while playing with patience and being responsible for the gap to each side. It is a technique Knighton had not played in the first seven years of his career with the Jaguars (2009-12), Broncos (2013-14) and Redskins (2015). In signing Knighton, the Patriots were projecting that transition could be made. But similar to their 2013 trade for defensive tackle Isaac Sopoaga, it didn't work out.

ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi once passed along a simple way of highlighting the key to look for when determining if a two-gapping defensive lineman has carried out the responsibility, saying that if a TV viewer sees the numbers on the back of his jersey, it's a troubling sign because the defensive tackle has been turned and thus wasn't controlling the blocker.

Well, Philips actually plays (traditionally) the one gap system. Sort of surprised there is no interest in him for at least depth behind Sylvester. IMO, he is a perfect NT in that one gap 3-4 system.

I wouldn't say there's no interest. I'm willing to bet people have been in contact, probably even people from the Broncos, but if his $$$$$ number is too high you will never hear anything about it. Our reps would reach out to his agent, ask for a ballpark, and then say, "thanks" and not call back if they weren't willing to pay what he wants.

TXBRONC
09-01-2016, 09:19 AM

I'm not surprised. He has a reputation of not being motivated. It's hard to say what he had left in the tank.

Broncoknight30
09-01-2016, 11:35 AM
I'm not surprised. He has a reputation of not being motivated. It's hard to say what he had left in the tank.

Yeah perhaps. I thought he was a hell of a run stuffer who could actually penetrate.

BroncoJoe
09-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Eh. This ship has sailed.

OrangeHoof
09-01-2016, 12:36 PM
He ought to try to hook up with the Bears. Isn't that where John Fox is now?

I'm afraid he wants more money than the Broncos could afford.

Broncoknight30
09-01-2016, 12:57 PM

Or with the Raiders, who is playing that system he thrived in. First with the Jags and then Broncos.

The Bears are playing that version of a 3-4 that is that same Bullough Fairbanks system that Belichick uses.

I think it is that version.

TXBRONC
09-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Yeah perhaps. I thought he was a hell of a run stuffer who could actually penetrate.

I heard he has some dysfunction when it comes to penetration. :whistle:

Broncoknight30
09-01-2016, 05:41 PM
I heard he has some dysfunction when it comes to penetration. :whistle:

I know that is something she said.

DenBronx
09-01-2016, 06:39 PM

I thought he signed for about 3 mill last year and this year I thought he took way less? If we're getting rid of Sanchez then why the hell not? At least it would keep him away from the Bears or raiders.

Simple Jaded
09-01-2016, 08:09 PM
Knighton always reminded me of Sam Adams in the sense that he's fat af but still one of the first players to move off the snap, he can fit well in this system.

Also, not sure if I buy the notion that Kinghton can't 2-gap, he 2-gapped like a Mug under Del Quito.

TXBRONC
09-01-2016, 08:25 PM
I know that is something she said.

No wonder she had such a sour look on her face.

tubby
09-01-2016, 10:23 PM
No. Guy is a malcontent dipshit

Simple Jaded
09-01-2016, 10:29 PM
No. Guy is a malcontent dipshit

Perhaps you've missed Kilgo and Gotsis getting their asses handed to them by future cell phone salesmen.

dogfish
09-02-2016, 11:38 AM

this was my opinion before last night. . . after watching our second string DL get shredded like cheddar, i'm all for making a call to roast. . . gotsis just ain't ready, and the rest of our DL depth is mostly warm bodies. . .

underrated29
09-02-2016, 11:54 AM
add in that melton went down and likely only a matter of time before he does again. Ill take the fatty back with open arms!

Slick
09-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Like I said before, whatever Wade wants, give it to him.

Davii
09-02-2016, 12:51 PM

The ship was eaten before it could return to port.

slim
09-02-2016, 01:07 PM
Like I said before, whatever Wade wants, give it to him.

He said he wants your ass hymen.

BroncoJoe
09-02-2016, 01:10 PM

Someone else already has that.

slim
09-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Someone else already has that.

Nut?

BroncoWave
09-02-2016, 01:23 PM

You're projecting again, slim.

slim
09-02-2016, 01:52 PM
You're projecting again, slim.

You want a slap in the face, don't you?

Slick
09-02-2016, 02:15 PM

If Wade was a hot chick with a strap-on I'd consider it.

BroncoJoe
09-02-2016, 02:19 PM
If Wade was a hot chick with a strap-on I'd consider it.

I think she's been in a few movies, and is descent looking. Not sure about the strap-on though. For you, I'm sure she'd be accommodating.

http://fabwags.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Tracy_Phillips_wade_phillips_daughter_pics.jpg

BronColt
09-02-2016, 02:32 PM
I thought he signed for about 3 mill last year and this year I thought he took way less? If we're getting rid of Sanchez then why the hell not? At least it would keep him away from the Bears or raiders.

He goes where Jack Del Rio goes, like a puppy dog.

CrazyHorse
09-03-2016, 10:21 PM

Love me some pot roast.