PDA

View Full Version : Broncos owner Pat Bowlen among 10 finalists for Hall of Fame’s contributor selection

Denver Native (Carol)
08-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Pat Bowlen is one step closer to entering the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Monday, the Hall’s seniors committee, a sub-group of its 46-member selection committee, will meet in Canton, Ohio, to select one nominee from a list of 10 finalists for the Class of 2017. On Tuesday, the contributors committee will meet to select two from the list.

The cases for the three will be presented to the full selection committee and need an 80-percent vote for enshrinement.

Bowlen, the owner fastest to reach 300 wins and the only one to make seven Super Bowl appearances, is among the finalists.

Bowlen is up against formidable competition in Bobby Beathard, Gil Brandt, Bucko Kilroy, Art McNally, Jerry Jones, Steve Sabol, Paul Tagliabue, George Young and John Wooten.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/15/pat-bowlen-hall-fame-finalist-denver-broncos/

VonDoom
08-16-2016, 02:03 PM
So Bowlen was NOT elected but Jerry Jones was. What a joke.

Buff
08-16-2016, 03:48 PM
So Bowlen was NOT elected but Jerry Jones was. What a joke.

Shameful - nominate the self promoter over the guy who has done more for the league, had a more successful franchise, and has been around longer.

Just for the sake of it, some comments from Al Michaels on Bowlen's contributions to the league:

Does this game mean more to you personally since you’ve known Pat Bowlen for many years?

“I’m very happy that we’ll have the opportunity to be there to see him honored. I think he’s been a huge figure for the National Football League for a lot of years. I think he’s done a lot of really terrific things, not only for his franchise, which I’ve always felt was a top-notch franchise — the Broncos always have been in contention — but Pat has done a lot for the league as a whole. And I’ve always felt that the really great and iconic owners are the owners who have not only built great franchises individually, but have worked really hard to make the NFL a better product. That’s why I would put Pat into that category, because Pat was involved in so many things on the league level. The fact that Sunday night is now the biggest night — that goes back to Pat. That goes back to him working with Dick Ebersol, who ran NBC Sports at the time. And Dick will be in Denver, as well, with us this week. Pat invited Dick to come and Dick gladly accepted, so he’ll be there.

“Sunday Night has about a 50 percent larger audience than Monday Night does, and you can attribute that to Pat’s vision and the fact that he figured, ‘Hey, you know what, if we can make our big game Sunday night with a flexible schedule and all of that, that would be the best way to maximize the value of the NFL on TV.”

http://www.denverpost.com/2015/10/29/al-michaels-talks-broncos-pat-bowlen-peyton-manning-more/

NightTrainLayne
08-16-2016, 03:57 PM
Unreal. When I saw he was on the short list, I thought it was a slam dunk to put him in.

Jerry Jones. What an unbelievable joke.

GEM
08-16-2016, 04:32 PM
Just saw their stats next to each other. ..Pat has him beat in everything but losing seasons. What a damn joke. Bowlen has done more tho improve the NFL than Jones had ever thought about doing. Out of sight, out of mind...completely disrespectful!

Poet
08-16-2016, 04:42 PM
It's better to be a self-promoter than selfless - stupid people who vote.

Spiritguy
08-16-2016, 05:07 PM
Got to agree GEM. For those that haven't seen it. It's darn right shameful that the committee has their heads so far up their collective asses that they made this choice. :tsk::tsk::tsk: And that info doesn't include the ways Pat made the NFL what it is today as discussed earlier.

https://twitter.com/MaseDenver/status/765624423919398912

Denver Native (Carol)
08-16-2016, 05:36 PM
from article:

“When you look at what he’s been able to accomplish since he bought the team, you’d have to be either shortsighted or mean-spirited not to think that this guy deserves that,” said Dave Logan, a Broncos receiver in Bowlen’s first year as owner who is now the voice of the team on KOA radio. “This franchise has been one of the top four or five in all of football since 1984. That’s a pretty good stretch of excellence.”

Since he purchased the team from Edgar Kaiser in 1984, Bowlen has guided the Broncos to an NFL-best .614 winning-percentage (313-197-1), with more Super Bowl appearances (seven) than losing seasons (five). The Broncos 13 divisional titles rank second in the NFL, while their 329 nationally televised games are tops.

Bowlen’s contributions go well beyond Dove Valley, however. He served on nine NFL committees and helped broker an $18 billion TV rights contract in 1998, a record in sports broadcasting at the time. And he has donated more than $25 million to charities in the Denver area as chairman of the board of the Broncos.

“It goes unnoticed to a lot of fans, but it doesn’t go unnoticed — at least, I hope it doesn’t — by other owners in the NFL,” Logan said. “He was a vital part of that broadcast committee and, as much as anybody I can think of, he has helped grow the NFL from a TV standpoint, and a revenue standpoint, too.”

But Bowlen and the Broncos will have to wait at least another year for his contributions to be recognized in Canton.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/16/pat-bowlen-not-selected-hall-of-fame/

Just totally terrible and ridiculous that Mr. B did not get in :tsk::tsk::tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-16-2016, 06:39 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h1 hour ago

One question for HOF subcommittee: What is argument for Jones over Bowlen? (Team success/league contribution?) #9sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h1 hour ago

I interviewed Jerry Jones in '14 about Bowlen/HOF: Jones: “I do distinguish an owner that did change the course. Pat changed the course.”

Mike Klis Retweeted
Gary Myers ‏@garymyersNYDN 2h2 hours ago

One more thing: I would also put Pat Bowlen in the HOF before Jerry Jones.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h2 hours ago

Even Jerry Jones and Paul Tagliabue thought Pat Bowlen was Hall of Famer: http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/hall-of-fame-committee-bypasses-bowlen-for-tagliabue-jones/299827134 …
via @@9NEWS #9sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 3h3 hours ago Dove Valley, CO

Playoff wins last 19 seasons: Broncos 14, Cowboys 2. Unbelievable HOF decision #9sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 4h4 hours ago

Broncos 5 losing seasons in 32 seasons since Bowlen became owner in 1984. Cowboys 9 losing seasons since Jones took over in 1989. #9sports

Cowboys last NFC championship game appearance: 1995 season. Broncos 5 AFC championship games since then, winning 4. #9sports

Before Bowlen took control of TV committee in early 90s, previous chair Art Modell claimed NFL losing money from TV package. Look at it now.

Jerry Jones has been influential owner, no doubt. But he's not done messing up, yet. It was not his turn. It was Pat Bowlen's turn. #9sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 5h5 hours ago Dove Valley, CO

It's Outrageous contributor committee put in Jerry Jones, an active owner, ahead of Pat Bowlen. #9sports

tomjonesrocks
08-16-2016, 08:15 PM
They blew it big time. Now he will probably go in after he passes. Hooray.

He's every bit as deserving as Jerry and Jerry has more time. Just dogshit.

I doubt even Jerry is that pleased to go in now considering the Pat Bowlen situation.

chazoe60
08-16-2016, 08:36 PM
**** the HOF. I have a very tiny inclination, and this is the only possible way of justifying this, that maybe the Bowen family asked the HOF committee to wait because of Pat's health. Pat and the Bowen family have been very private since the news broke of his health and maybe just maybe they don't want the spotlight on them in anyway until Pat passes.

I'm not saying I believe this theory, it is just that it happens to be the only one I can come up with other than the HOF is a big ******* joke and deserves to be burnt to the ground.

TXBRONC
08-16-2016, 08:36 PM
It pisses me off because b.s. line that was used to Ralph Wilson in. We have to get him because he's meant so much League. He was joke of an owner as is the franchised he owned.

tomjonesrocks
08-16-2016, 08:47 PM
I'm not the founder of this, but it says plenty.

Simple Jaded
08-16-2016, 08:49 PM
Dude **** Jerry Jones.

DenBronx
08-16-2016, 10:20 PM
Un-****ing-real!!

MOtorboat
08-16-2016, 10:38 PM
Just not surprised by this anymore. I'm pissed off, but not surprised.

dogfish
08-16-2016, 11:01 PM
"Well I guess there's only one thing left to do. . . win the whole f**kin' thing."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-hDl6OALv4

seriously, eff the hall of sham (i'd say shame, but they clearly have none). . . hopefully elway can fly the league and the media a huge bird next february, when he says "this one's for pat, too". . .

:first:

in the meanwhile, those losers should just enshrine the entire cowboys and steelers organizations, and just have done with. . .

Timmy!
08-17-2016, 02:46 AM
Idiots.

Although with the state of the world, highly appropriate.

Northman
08-17-2016, 03:28 AM
Bowlen should be a shoe in.

Dapper Dan
08-21-2016, 12:51 AM
This is the first time in a while that I think we can all agree on something. This is ****** up. Jerry ******* Jones. :tsk:

BroncoWave
08-21-2016, 12:54 AM
This is the first time in a while that I think we can all agree on something. This is ****** up. Jerry ******* Jones. :tsk:

I don't know, I think we all agreed that winning the Super Bowl was pretty cool. :D

Dapper Dan
08-21-2016, 01:15 AM
I don't know, I think we all agreed that winning the Super Bowl was pretty cool. :D

Idk. What's Joel think?

TXBRONC
08-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Idk. What's Joel think?

He's rather sour about it. He thinks Denver should give the title to Carolina because Talib committed two personal fouls back to back.

Simple Jaded
08-21-2016, 09:36 PM
He's rather sour about it. He thinks Denver shouls give the title to Carolina because Talib committed two personal fouls back to back.

The whole WORLD was watching, TX, the WHOLE damn WORLD.......was WATCHING.

Poet
08-21-2016, 09:40 PM
There has never been a dominating historical defense that was without a guy like Talib.

dogfish
08-22-2016, 04:02 AM
There has never been a dominating historical defense that was without a guy like Talib.

mel blount approves of this post. . . and talib's facemask in the super bowl. . .

dogfish
08-22-2016, 04:03 AM

and they can suck it, amirite?

VonDoom
08-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Back on topic, Peter King, who has taken a lot of criticism for not nominating Bowlen this year, weighs in at the end of his latest column:

• It wasn’t “Jerry Jones over Pat Bowlen,” at least to me. We judged not owner versus owner or GM versus GM; we judged candidate versus candidate. After our meeting, when it came time to vote, I felt Jones had the strongest case of the candidates—he’s been the biggest agent of change in the league in the past quarter-century. He fought and improved marketing and sponsorship revenue, opposed givebacks to TV partners in 1994 that actually led to network riches by adding FOX, upped the stadium game by building his monolithic new place, helped make the draft a TV show by installing a War Room Cam in his draft room, oversaw three Super Bowl wins in 27 years. He has holes in his game, of course, not the least of which is the Cowboys’ continuing mediocrity this century. My view though, is that it’s about a body of work, and the fact that his three Super Bowls came in his first six years doesn’t mean they should count less than if they’d come in the past six years.

• To me, it came down more to Tagliabue versus Bowlen for the second spot. I thought seriously of Bowlen here, on the strength of his building a franchise with the best winning percentage in the 32 years since he bought the team, and his work with the TV committee, most notably having a crucial role in the establishment of Sunday Night Football on NBC. Tagliabue got the edge, for me, because of his key roles in the salary cap, 17 years without a work stoppage, establishment of the Rooney Rule, keeping the Saints in New Orleans post-Katrina and leading the NFL in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. But his candidacy will have to overcome failure in the Los Angeles market and some missteps early in the NFL’s evolving struggle against head trauma and concussions.

• We can’t take into account the health of any candidates, or the fact that it might be someone’s turn via his perceived place in line, because that candidate has been in the game longer. Tagliabue and Jones are healthy. Bowlen has been in ill health with Alzheimer’s disease. I can’t speak for anyone else on our committee. I just know that, for me, it’s not something I take into account.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/22/nfl-preseason-denver-broncos-qbs-la-rams-fans-training-camps

Dapper Dan
08-22-2016, 08:49 AM
**** him

TXBRONC
08-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Back on topic, Peter King, who has taken a lot of criticism for not nominating Bowlen this year, weighs in at the end of his latest column:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/22/nfl-preseason-denver-broncos-qbs-la-rams-fans-training-camps

King is a liar. There was huge push to get Wilson into the Hall because he was old and who knew how many more years he had left in him.

GEM
08-22-2016, 09:51 AM

Unfortunately, according to Schefter and others, he's wrong on which owner has been more instrumental to changes for the league.

TXBRONC
08-22-2016, 11:42 AM

Embarrssing enough to forfeit the championship. :sad:

Poet
08-22-2016, 12:00 PM
King just said it wasn't Jones vs. Bowlen but candidate vs. candidate... Of course the two candidates were Bowlen and Jones...So that line was a bunch of trash meant to be symbolic. Pssh.

In regards to the stadium game argument -- what? That game has been going on for years and the lack of a sexy stadium is often the calling card for a team leaving its area...That's a filler argument and if King wants to use it he better had ******* augment with substance.

In regards to the making the draft a show -- what? At best that's a 'minor achievement' because FFS the biggest pushers for that increased viewership has been the actual league. That's ******* ancillary at best.

In regards to winning, Bowlen has him beat hands down. In fact, he's done it in different eras, too. In fact, Bowlen's ability to steer a winning franchise seems to be that which leads the NFL. Since he purchased the team from Edgar Kaiser ‘84, Bowlen has guided the Broncos to an NFL-high .614 winning-percentage (313-197-1), with more Super Bowl appearances (seven) than losing seasons (five). The Broncos 13 divisional titles rank second in the NFL, while their 329 nationally televised games are tops.

And if we are going to talk about brokering monetary deals, how about we deal with things that are less speculative and more ******* factual:
"Bowlen’s contributions go well beyond Dove Valley, however. He served on nine NFL committees and helped broker an $18 billion TV rights contract in 1998, a record in sports broadcasting at the time. was a proponent of international expansion, and his Broncos played in London, Tokyo, Berlin, Barcelona, Sydney and Mexico City. And locally, he’s donated more than $25 million to charities in the Denver-metro area as chairman of the board of the Broncos."

Jones has had one brief albeit brilliant flash of success. That's it. He's just a bunch of pomp and pretense. He's not a winner, he drove off his head coach who actually made his team a winner, and all he's done is throw his money around and put his face everywhere. People buy into the spectacle all too often.

My sources are as follows: http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/16/pat-bowlen-not-selected-hall-of-fame/

NightTrainLayne
08-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Jerry Jones and Donald Trump are from the same mold.

Some folks fall for the "show". Peter King and the other HOF voters have the same defect as millions of others. Pat Bowlen isn't a shameless self-promoter, or at least not as shameless as Jerry Jones by an order of magnitude, and so he dims in the eyes of many compared to Jones.

That's the story in a nutshell.

And that's okay with me. Those that really count know the content of Bowlen's character, and his contributions.

Poet
08-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Jerry Jones and Donald Trump are from the same mold.

Some folks fall for the "show". Peter King and the other HOF voters have the same defect as millions of others. Pat Bowlen isn't a shameless self-promoter, or at least not as shameless as Jerry Jones by an order of magnitude, and so he dims in the eyes of many compared to Jones.

That's the story in a nutshell.

And that's okay with me. Those that really count know the content of Bowlen's character, and his contributions.

I was going to avoid that line of commentary, but yeah, they are the same guy. The problem is that the voters are supposed to be researchers and knowledgeable. It took five minutes of typing and googling for me to bend the Bad King over my knee and dismantle his argument.

But I don't go into work until two and I'm bored as **** so I'll let it continue -- Taglibue vs Bowlen is not much better. Taglibue is going to be the fall guy for the concussion issue and he literally didn't care about player conduct off the field. That is costing the league billions of dollars now and the NFL will have to deal with a shrinking talent base that is already starting to show up in regards to lower levels of play via participation.

If you're a rehabilitation fan and like that players are often directed to rehab facilities and mental health professionals, that should bother you. If you are a law and order type of person that should REALLY bother you. If you don't care then sure. Whatevs, I guess.

So you have a perennial loser and huckster who gets clowned by Bowlen. Then you have a guy who is probably best described as a wanton or negligent commissioner.

Or a wonderful winner whose success spans decades, was vital to the growth of the league in a way that is tangible and not abstract...

Peter King is the bad King.

Dapper Dan
08-22-2016, 01:32 PM
King just said it wasn't Jones vs. Bowlen but candidate vs. candidate... Of course the two candidates were Bowlen and Jones...So that line was a bunch of trash meant to be symbolic. Pssh.

In regards to the stadium game argument -- what? That game has been going on for years and the lack of a sexy stadium is often the calling card for a team leaving its area...That's a filler argument and if King wants to use it he better had ******* augment with substance.

In regards to the making the draft a show -- what? At best that's a 'minor achievement' because FFS the biggest pushers for that increased viewership has been the actual league. That's ******* ancillary at best.

In regards to winning, Bowlen has him beat hands down. In fact, he's done it in different eras, too. In fact, Bowlen's ability to steer a winning franchise seems to be that which leads the NFL. Since he purchased the team from Edgar Kaiser ‘84, Bowlen has guided the Broncos to an NFL-high .614 winning-percentage (313-197-1), with more Super Bowl appearances (seven) than losing seasons (five). The Broncos 13 divisional titles rank second in the NFL, while their 329 nationally televised games are tops.

And if we are going to talk about brokering monetary deals, how about we deal with things that are less speculative and more ******* factual:
"Bowlen’s contributions go well beyond Dove Valley, however. He served on nine NFL committees and helped broker an $18 billion TV rights contract in 1998, a record in sports broadcasting at the time. was a proponent of international expansion, and his Broncos played in London, Tokyo, Berlin, Barcelona, Sydney and Mexico City. And locally, he’s donated more than $25 million to charities in the Denver-metro area as chairman of the board of the Broncos."

Jones has had one brief albeit brilliant flash of success. That's it. He's just a bunch of pomp and pretense. He's not a winner, he drove off his head coach who actually made his team a winner, and all he's done is throw his money around and put his face everywhere. People buy into the spectacle all too often.

My sources are as follows: http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/16/pat-bowlen-not-selected-hall-of-fame/

You da real king.

MOtorboat
08-22-2016, 06:14 PM
Lol, the war room cam and a stupid ass stadium.

**** you Peter King.

Simple Jaded
08-22-2016, 09:00 PM
and they can suck it, amirite?

Suck it WORLD!

Simple Jaded
08-22-2016, 09:07 PM
I think King actually wanted brownie points for addressing the snub.

Dapper Dan
08-22-2016, 09:26 PM
I think King actually wanted brownie points for addressing the snub.

It was mighty white of him.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-22-2016, 09:35 PM
Karl Mecklenburg, the Broncos’ Ring of Fame linebacker and six-time Pro Bowler, took to Facebook to voice his displeasure over the Hall’s selections.

“I’m upset that Pat Bowlen was not selected as a Pro Football Hall of Fame contributor today. Jerry Jones and Paul Tagliabue were selected instead,” Mecklenburg wrote. “Every year when so many deserving Bronco greats are passed over I tell myself not to get upset, but Mr B is unquestionably the best owner in pro football. Under his leadership the Denver Broncos are and have been consistent contenders with an unbelievable record of success. He established an amazing front office whose culture of winning has continued without him. He has been a voice of reason, and a forward thinking driver for NFL owners during labor strife, television contract negotiations, and stadium rebuilds. I know he will get in eventually, but the greatest Bronco of all just got passed over by the HOF selection committee and I’m upset.”

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/16/pat-bowlen-not-selected-hall-of-fame/

Denver Native (Carol)
08-23-2016, 06:27 PM
The Denver Outlaws won its second MLL championship in three years, adding to the winning culture developed by Owner Pat Bowlen.

video - http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Means-the-world-to-Outlaws-to-win-for-Mr-B/6329db2c-0679-4a91-80c6-1f8cd47870d1

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2016, 07:43 PM
John Beake on Pat Bowlen's international influence
Former Broncos general manager John Beake talks with Broncos TV about owner Pat Bowlen and his contributions to the international expansion of the NFL.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/John-Beake-on-Pat-Bowlens-international-influence/2f8d1672-579d-4946-b82a-7b6fcf15c649