PDA

View Full Version : Cody Latimer admits Peyton Manning made him nervous; says he’s more confident in Year 3

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2016, 04:53 PM
The signs were there early in training camp this summer. Cody Latimer, the Broncos’ second-round pick in the 2014 draft, was beginning to look like the wide receiver many hoped he would blossom into during his first two years in the NFL. He made over-the-shoulder catches. He ran crisp routes. He sped past and around defenders. He appeared comfortable in the system and confident in his ability to run it.

Sometime in the past six months, after the Broncos capped a trying season offensively with a victory in Super Bowl 50y, a switch flipped in Latimer.

“Just very confident. Legs feel good,” he said. “Been doing a good job of taking care of my body this offseason, so I feel good out there.”

He credits rest during the offseason. He credits his conditioning and weight loss. He credits the year of experience being able to learn coach Gary Kubiak’s playbook.

“I was very hesitant,” he said of his first two NFL seasons. “Was worried about what everybody thought — was Peyton (Manning) going to be mad, was Coach going to be mad. I was very nervous out there. Going out here now, especially in my third year, I’m confident in myself. I know what I can do. I just go out there and make plays.”

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/14/cody-latimer-denver-broncos-year-3/

slim
08-14-2016, 05:03 PM
He made me nervous last year too!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-14-2016, 05:22 PM

Haha, right? !

TXBRONC
08-14-2016, 05:54 PM

I have a hard time imaging you being nevous.

Northman
08-14-2016, 06:15 PM
Another guy afraid of Shadows.

TXBRONC
08-14-2016, 07:28 PM

I don't think this is quite same as Brock's whinefest.

OrangeHoof
08-14-2016, 07:55 PM
Whatever, if he's an upgrade over last year, we'll take it.

olathebroncofan
08-14-2016, 08:48 PM
I would live to see what he can do. He had better take this opportunity while fowler is nicked up. Even with the QB situation we have, if DT can get rid of his drop-itis, and sanders can play at the level he did last year, our offense should be pretty good.

I know I know if if if, but if cody can show up, and fowler can heal up, our offense will tear stuff up. So excited.

Simple Jaded
08-14-2016, 09:05 PM
From what I understand Latimer wasn't scared enough, often tuning Manning out while Manning tried to work on the side with him and other receivers. I don't think Latimer could keep up with Manning's offense and Manning froze him out.

TXBRONC
08-14-2016, 09:09 PM
From what I understand Latimer wasn't scared enough, often tuning Manning out while Manning tried to work on the side with him and other receivers. I don't think Latimer could keep up with Manning's offense and Manning froze him out.

It was rumored that he had somewhat of attitude but I not convinced that it's accurate.

Simple Jaded
08-14-2016, 09:12 PM
It was rumored that he had somewhat of attitude but I not convinced that it's accurate.

Yeah nothing serious, he was just texting while Manning was going over gameplan in a team flight.

TXBRONC
08-14-2016, 09:14 PM
Yeah nothing serious, he was just texting while Manning was going over gameplan in a team flight.

Is it fact or is it a rumor?

Simple Jaded
08-14-2016, 09:20 PM
Is it fact or is it a rumor?

This one was Mike Klis story, iirc.

silkamilkamonico
08-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Latimer just needs a dumbed down offense, Manning's was too sophisticated for him. Just tell him what route to run and he will run it.

TXBRONC
08-14-2016, 10:24 PM
Latimer just needs a dumbed down offense, Manning's was too sophisticated for him. Just tell him what route to run and he will run it.

Denver doesn't run Manning's sophisticated offense.

Simple Jaded
08-15-2016, 12:55 AM
Considering the garbage college offense these players come from it's not hard to see why pro offenses would be difficult for most.

underrated29
08-15-2016, 11:06 AM
Denver doesn't run Manning's sophisticated offense.

i THINK THAT WAs silkamilkalilkamonicas point

Spiritguy
08-16-2016, 01:48 PM
Tyler Polumbus wrote an interesting article talking about Cody's struggles in the past few years.

One of the blessings in disguise of coming to a team after opening day is that you haven’t heard any outside opinions of yourself or your teammates. I joined the Broncos in Week 3 last year and came in with absolutely zero preconceived notions about the team or my teammates. I didn’t know who was drafted where nor did I know who the media had anointed the stars of the team or the busts of previous drafts.

It was honestly not until I joined the media circles that I learned of the outside frustrations of my teammate Cody Latimer. To me, he was just a hard working young wide receiver with plenty to learn and loads of very obvious potential. Now that I am removed and entertaining the stock up/stock down type discussions of Broncos players during training camp, I know the full background on Cody.

I can understand the frustrations from a fan’s perspective when a player that is drafted high, like Cody in the second round, does not produce at a high level. With high draft picks, and high salaries (i.e. Von Miller), come high expectations. The rest is here: http://1043thefan.com/148065/polumbus-broncos-latimer/

Buff
08-16-2016, 02:31 PM
There it is! The annual Cody Latimer puff piece that we've all been waiting for. I'v compiled a brief oral history of Cody Latimer puff pieces for anyone new here:

In 2014 he didn't get it, said he wasn't doing his job, and was getting cussed out too much, but was confident he was going to pick it up with the support of his teammates! http://www.denverpost.com/2014/10/03/broncos-rookie-receiver-cody-latimer-waits-turn-to-catch-a-break/ -- 2 Receptions, 23 yards

Then in 2015, he was ready for a breakout season! Studying more! Easier to catch on to Kubiak's offense! Ditching his boneheaded rookie ways! http://www.denverpost.com/2015/06/23/cody-latimer-expects-a-breakout-season-in-second-year-with-broncos/ - 6 Receptions, 59 Yards

(2015 offseason - calls the cops on his GF for slapping him)

2016 - Gee golly that Peyton Manning sure did make it tough on WRs! Good thing I no longer have a HOF QB to worry about. Ready for a breakout!

NightTrainLayne
08-16-2016, 02:46 PM
There it is! The annual Cody Latimer puff piece that we've all been waiting for. I'v compiled a brief oral history of Cody Latimer puff pieces for anyone new here:

In 2014 he didn't get it, said he wasn't doing his job, and was getting cussed out too much, but was confident he was going to pick it up with the support of his teammates! http://www.denverpost.com/2014/10/03/broncos-rookie-receiver-cody-latimer-waits-turn-to-catch-a-break/ -- 2 Receptions, 23 yards

Then in 2015, he was ready for a breakout season! Studying more! Easier to catch on to Kubiak's offense! Ditching his boneheaded rookie ways! http://www.denverpost.com/2015/06/23/cody-latimer-expects-a-breakout-season-in-second-year-with-broncos/ - 6 Receptions, 59 Yards

(2015 offseason - calls the cops on his GF for slapping him)

2016 - Gee golly that Peyton Manning sure did make it tough on WRs! Good thing I no longer have a HOF QB to worry about. Ready for a breakout!

I'm going to start calling you Debbie Downer. Wah, Wah, Waahhhhhh.

Valar Morghulis
08-16-2016, 03:06 PM
Cody for canton

Buff
08-16-2016, 03:20 PM
I'm going to start calling you Debbie Downer. Wah, Wah, Waahhhhhh.

I admittedly have an irrational dislike of Latimer in particular. I just remember reading that camp piece about him last year, which was full of excuses, and thinking "this guy is so full of shit, I can tell just by what he's saying."

Since then, he's called the cops on his GF for slapping him, and whined about the HOF QB making it too hard on him during his first 2 years.

The next time this guy does something impressive will be the first.

slim
08-16-2016, 03:27 PM
I admittedly have an irrational dislike of Latimer in particular. I just remember reading that camp piece about him last year, which was full of excuses, and thinking "this guy is so full of shit, I can tell just by what he's saying."

Since then, he's called the cops on his GF for slapping him, and whined about the HOF QB making it too hard on him during his first 2 years.

The next time this guy does something impressive will be the first.

He is a damn good special teams player...that's gotta count for something.

underrated29
08-16-2016, 03:29 PM
Hes the leading wr for us in preseason I think. Not that that is special or impressive, but it is better than not leading the team.

Joel
08-18-2016, 03:12 AM
If Latimer's MORE confident and LESS nervous with Butt Fumble than with PFM, that's strong evidence those who question his game are right to do so. Sanchez can't "throw him open," find you (and the DBs) or thread the needle any better than a first ballot HoFer who's the ONLY player EVER to win SBs with DIFFERENT teams.

It just got (a lot) harder, not easier. If he's looking for QBs and DBs at a skill level more commensurate with his own, there's always Canada.... ;)

I'm sorry, I don't mean to pile on the guy, but "I was drafted into historys most prolific passing offense" is the historys worst EXCUSE for going MIA for two years. Especially when that record-shattering passing game lost its #2 AND #3 WR his rookie year, then its best receiving TE: There were opportunities aplenty—he just got outplayed by Sanders and pretty much every UDFA receiver on our roster. He may be great on STs, but for a 2nd round WR that's a bust.

Simple Jaded
08-18-2016, 03:00 PM
You completely missed the point, Joel, Latimer is more comfortable in this offense. If Manning could run this offense he'd be just as comfortable with him as with Sanchez.

He's not worried about making mistakes that will get him buried in the cooler anymore, he's just playing football.

Maybe if Latimer didn't come into the Greatest Offense of All Time as green as grass he'd been just fine.

TXBRONC
08-18-2016, 03:05 PM
If Latimer's MORE confident and LESS nervous with Butt Fumble than with PFM, that's strong evidence those who question his game are right to do so. Sanchez can't "throw him open," find you (and the DBs) or thread the needle any better than a first ballot HoFer who's the ONLY player EVER to win SBs with DIFFERENT teams.

It just got (a lot) harder, not easier. If he's looking for QBs and DBs at a skill level more commensurate with his own, there's always Canada.... ;)

I'm sorry, I don't mean to pile on the guy, but "I was drafted into historys most prolific passing offense" is the historys worst EXCUSE for going MIA for two years. Especially when that record-shattering passing game lost its #2 AND #3 WR his rookie year, then its best receiving TE: There were opportunities aplenty—he just got outplayed by Sanders and pretty much every UDFA receiver on our roster. He may be great on STs, but for a 2nd round WR that's a bust.

Never confuse missing the point with frustrated candor. :coffee:

Simple Jaded
08-18-2016, 03:17 PM
What's classic is that Webster is also still buried on the depth chart after three seasons but he's supposedly going to make the Denver Broncos forget all about the 3rd or 4th best player on their defense because he "plays a speed position".

Latimer just made as much impact in that single preseason game as Kayvon Webster has in three seasons.

BroncoJoe
08-18-2016, 04:17 PM
You completely missed the point, Joel, Latimer is more comfortable in this offense. If Manning could run this offense he'd be just as comfortable with him as with Sanchez.

He's not worried about making mistakes that will get him buried in the cooler anymore, he's just playing football.

Maybe if Latimer didn't come into the Greatest Offense of All Time as green as grass he'd been just fine.

What's classic is that Webster is also still buried on the depth chart after three seasons but he's supposedly going to make the Denver Broncos forget all about the 3rd or 4th best player on their defense because he "plays a speed position".

Latimer just made as much impact in that single preseason game as Kayvon Webster has in three seasons.

Wait - are you being positive?

:confused:

TXBRONC
08-18-2016, 05:59 PM

He doesn't feel well today.

Just kidding Jaded. :D

TXBRONC
08-18-2016, 06:01 PM

Last season both Latimer and Webster were very good on special teams.

OrangeHoof
08-18-2016, 06:08 PM
So, he tripled his production in his second year! What's to complain about?

Simple Jaded
08-18-2016, 07:44 PM

It's a phase. I tell myself, it's just a phase.

It'll pass.

It'll pass.

TXBRONC
08-18-2016, 07:58 PM

It'll pass.

It'll pass.

You would probably have easier time passing a kidney stone.

Joel
08-19-2016, 03:42 AM
I didn't miss the point: He didn't say he was intimidated by Manning running Kubiaks offense (which he hardly did last year, and CERTAINLY didn't in Latimers rookie year under FOX AND GASE.) He was just scared of Manning, period; too much pressure playing with a HoFer, but the performance demands will surely be much less now that he must compensate for a mediocre journeyman QB instead of rely on arguably the GoAT to make plays FOR him.

In his place, I'd worry MORE: His margin for error's much less with Sanchez than as a rookie with Manning. He's about out of third chances.

Well, not everyone could benefit from the many year of experience DT, Decker and Orange Julius had in 2012.

It'll pass.

It'll pass.
And Latimer will drop it, Latimer will drop it. :tongue:

Latimer isn't waiting in line behind a pair of Pro Bowlers AND an incredibly talented 1st round pick: He's riding pine behind Sanders, an inconsistent DT and a bunch of UDFAs. It's like saying, "Well, people bash Schofield, but he played more last year than Shane Ray, and no one says HE sucks." Yeah, because our LB corps is infinitely better than our offensive line depth; it's apples and grapefruit.

Poet
08-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Pierre Garcon, Anthony Gonzalez, Reggie Wayne, and numerous other rookies walked onto the field as rookies with Manning and performed. It's not a good indictment on Lattimer that he couldn't do that.

With that being said, he's still got some time to turn it around. Like, this season....

TXBRONC
08-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Pierre Garcon, Anthony Gonzalez, Reggie Wayne, and numerous other rookies walked onto the field as rookies with Manning and performed. It's not a good indictment on Lattimer that he couldn't do that.

With that being said, he's still got some time to turn it around. Like, this season....

I don't think it is because not everyone is the same.

Poet
08-19-2016, 12:38 PM
I don't think it is because not everyone is the same.

That is true. He might be the type to be scared of Manning but not care about a safety coming over the middle. I don't know, it's just a strange, strange, strange, scenario.

TXBRONC
08-19-2016, 01:01 PM
That is true. He might be the type to be scared of Manning but not care about a safety coming over the middle. I don't know, it's just a strange, strange, strange, scenario.

There a lots of things that are strange. You're strange but people like you.

Poet
08-19-2016, 01:08 PM
There a lots of things that are strange. You're strange but people like you.

I'm a Broncos fan from Cincinnati. I am quite strange.

TXBRONC
08-21-2016, 08:25 AM
I'm a Broncos fan from Cincinnati. I am quite strange.

I don't know if that is any stranger than being a Broncos fan from New York or Minnesota.

Simple Jaded
08-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Latimer is playing behind an Elite WR (DT) and the heart and soul of the offense (Sanders), and one of the reasons Latimer isn't playing behind a high draft choice is apparently because he's actually given the Broncos a reason not to invest heavily in making sure he's not a starter (unlike Kayvon Webster).

You saying Denver DT and Sanders aren't up to the caliber of Talib and Harris makes me even more comfortable in my opinions. The fact that you're saying Latimer isn't up to replacing Sanders (who has a better chance of not being in Denver than Talib) actually eases my concerns in the department.

Your opinions are usually a useful barometer.

BroncoWave
08-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Latimer is playing behind an Elite WR (DT) and the heart and soul of the offense (Sanders), and one of the reasons Latimer isn't playing behind a high draft choice is apparently because he's actually given the Broncos a reason not to invest heavily in making sure he's not a starter (unlike Kayvon Webster).

I don't understand what you're saying here.

Simple Jaded
08-21-2016, 01:10 PM
I don't understand what you're saying here.

Joel said Webster is stuck behind a #1 pick, I'm saying Latimer isn't stuck behind a #1 pick because apparently he has given the Broncos enough reason to not bury him on the depth chart behind a #1 pick.

The fact is, since Webster showed so much promise his rookie year the Broncos have drafted several CB's, since drafting Latimer the Broncos have drafted zero WR's.

BroncoWave
08-21-2016, 01:11 PM
Joel said Webster is stuck behind a #1 pick, I'm saying Latimer isn't stuck behind a #1 pick because apparently he has given the Broncos enough reason to not bury him on the depth chart behind a #1 pick.

The fact is, since Webster showed so much promise his rookie year the Broncos have drafted several CB's, since drafting Latimer the Broncos have drafted zero WR's.

Got it. The double negative in that sentenced confused me a bit. I see where you're going now though! :D

Simple Jaded
08-21-2016, 01:18 PM
Got it. The double negative in that sentenced confused me a bit. I see where you're going now though! :D

I'm just trying to put it in terms Joel can understand, confusing terms.

Valar Morghulis
08-21-2016, 01:20 PM
Not watched the San Francisco game yet.... How did my Cody play?

Simple Jaded
08-21-2016, 01:37 PM
Not watched the San Francisco game yet.... How did my Cody play?

He had a drop on 3rd that he'll want back, did fine.

BroncoWave
08-21-2016, 01:47 PM

And that was kind of a poor throw that likely wouldn't have been a first down regardless, so not the worst drop in the world to have.

TXBRONC
08-21-2016, 01:55 PM

Webster and Latimer both are highly thought of. Neither one of them has been the victim of a game inactive that I recall because the both can play special teams. True, the the Broncos have brought in several corners but I don't think it has to do with them wanting to replacing him it has to do with the fact they're base defense at best 50% of the time. Some people see what they want see not what is actually happening. The fact is, Denver likes both players and if they didn't they would both be game day inactives on frequent basis.

TXBRONC
08-21-2016, 02:01 PM

I sure he does, at the same time it was poorly thrown pass.

Simple Jaded
08-21-2016, 02:01 PM
I like Webster and I know why they keep drafting CB's, but Websters play is one of those reasons, since his rookie season they've signed a starter, extended another starter, drafted a starter in 1st round. Me sees a pattern developing.

And from what I'm hearing it's Doss that's got the Broncos excited.

TXBRONC
08-21-2016, 02:05 PM
I like Webster and I know why they keep drafting CB's, but Websters play is one of those reasons, since his rookie season they've signed a starter, extended another starter, drafted a starter in 1st round. Me sees a pattern developing.

Doss has had a terrific camp but so has Webster. This year they drafted safties not corner.

Simple Jaded
08-21-2016, 02:43 PM
They drafted S's because they had only one S under contract beyond this season and their Top 4 CB's are under contract through 2018, iirc.

I haven't heard anything about Webster performance this TC, Doss returns an Int for six on a daily basis.

NightTerror218
08-21-2016, 11:14 PM

I think that was the siemien pass that was thrown behind him and he came back for and he could have caught.

Joel
08-21-2016, 11:29 PM

Webster's stuck behind a #1 pick AND a PAIR of Pro Bowlers; whom would we pay top dollar to warm the bench while we start a 4th CB, however good he is? He's not "buried" on the depth chart; he's still first man up when any of THREE stud CBs can't play (e.g. during Talibs suspension last year, and his suspension(s) this year.) It's just that all STARTING spots are taken because we spent a 1st round pick on a 3rd star CB simply because he "dropped" to us; sound familiar?

It's kinda like how Ray dropped to us last year so we snatched him up while I vocally wondered "so do we bench Ware, Miller or Barrett to get our new star on the field?" Turns out the answer was "neither," but fortunately we had a 2nd round pick to spend on Sambrailo, who's so far been to our 2015 draft what Latimer was to our 2013 draft. Latimer actually IS buried on the depth chart, behind another pair of Pro Bowlers and a BUNCH of "#UDFA picks" like Fowler, Taylor and Norwood.

When Webster loses playing time to Doss (who was at least DRAFTED) et al. as Latimer's consistently lost playing time to guys like Norwood, they'll be comparable. Till then it's still apples and oranges: We have the NFLs top CB trio, but no one's claimed we have "the NFLs best starting WR corps" since Latimer was a rookie.

Joel
08-21-2016, 11:31 PM

I hear Doss getting lots of FANS excited, same as Bibbs and a host of others. I see whom the COACHES give the most gameday snaps, too; if Webster's "buried" behind ONLY starters, what's Doss behind Webster?

sneakers
08-22-2016, 06:05 AM

I still sleep with a night light