PDA

View Full Version : Aqib Talib could be facing 8-game suspension

Magnificent Seven
08-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Bradley Roby, starting cornerback for the Denver Broncos. NFL fans should get used to hearing that, because it may soon become a reality.

Aqib Talib, the cornerback above Roby on Denver’s depth chart, could face a suspension of eight games or more, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said on 104.3 The Fan on Monday afternoon.

“.@AdamSchefter tells us a knowledgable party said to him: ‘I don’t see how this is less than 8 games,’ regarding Talib suspension,” The Fan said in a tweet that has since been deleted (the text can still be read here).

Talib was shot in his right leg at (or near) a Dallas nightclub on June 10. After the shooting, Talib told police he was too intoxicated to remember who shot him. He also told friends close to him that he accidentally shot himself. Those two stories obviously do not match up, so a media member asked Talib directly if he shot himself after practice Monday.

“The situation is still under review and we have to respect that process,” Talib said. “I’m not going to talk about that right now, but I feel great. I did some one-on-ones today. I felt pretty good on the field.”

If Talib shot himself at a nightclub while intoxicated, Texas law states that he could face up to ten years in prison. But if no weapon is found and the shooter remains unknown, there may be no evidence for police to use against Talib.

Even if Talib avoids legal trouble, he could still face discipline from the NFL for “conduct detrimental” to the league. NFL spokesperson Brian McCarthy told Broncos Wire in a July email that Talib’s situation “remains under review.”

If the league does suspend Talib, it could be for eight games or more, per Schefter. Roby and Chris Harris Jr. would start in his absence.

http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/08/aqib-talib-suspension-will-denver-broncos-cornerback-be-suspended/

Poet
08-08-2016, 07:13 PM
What law did Talib break?

Magnificent Seven
08-08-2016, 07:29 PM

Shooting Under The Influence

Davii
08-08-2016, 08:19 PM

Depends. Possibly none. Possibly carrying a weapon into a place of business that serves alcohol, possibly negligent discharge, firing a gun in city limits, obstruction.

Bottom line, until police say he broke a law there's no PROOF be did, just suspicion.

dogfish
08-08-2016, 08:28 PM
what? they're going to give him eight games for getting shot? slow your roll there shefty, i don't think so! unless the dallas police charge him with something, he's getting nothing. . . at the very least, any halfway competent lawyer should be able to drag it out until next year, and that may be all we need from him. . . roby's a stud, webster's very talented, and i'm hearing good things about doss and nixon from camp. . . if we can get one more good year out of aqib, it may be enough. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2016, 08:38 PM
ENGLEWOOD—With his return to practice Monday, Aqib Talib is likely to be physically recovered from gunshot wounds to his right leg in time to play cornerback for the Denver Broncos in their regular-season opener against Carolina.

If only Talib’s physical recovery were the end of his gunshot saga.

The Dallas police confirmed Monday it is still investigating the shooting incident that occurred June 5 either at, or near, a Dallas nightclub, and left Talib with gunshot wounds to the rear of his upper right leg and right calf.

The NFL is also conducting its own investigation. There is a possibility Talib could be facing discipline if the league -- more specifically, commissioner Roger Goodell -- finds he violated its personal conduct policy. The Broncos are hopeful Talib will not be suspended.

rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/bronco-notes-talib-returns-but-shooting-investigation-still-pending/290987951

BroncoWave
08-08-2016, 08:40 PM
If we've learned anything in recent years, it's that Goodell will suspend regardless of where things are in the legal process, so I wouldn't assume he's out of the woods just because he hasn't been charged. The Brady case has now set the precedent that the NFL can more or less suspend for whatever they want, whenever they want.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-08-2016, 08:48 PM
If there is no proof Talib shot himself I don't see how the league could discipline him.

Poet
08-08-2016, 08:55 PM
If there is no proof Talib shot himself I don't see how the league could discipline him.

They still have that power; but what I expect to happen is that he appeals it and gets to play during that process.

dogfish
08-08-2016, 08:57 PM
They still have that power; but what I expect to happen is that he appeals it and gets to play during that process.

they have the power to try, certainly. . . personally, i just can't see how a suspension would hold up to an appeal-- not unless SOME type of evidence comes to light, because right now there is zilch. . . brady isn't an accurate comparison-- he actively destroyed evidence and refused to cooperate. . .

TXBRONC
08-08-2016, 09:15 PM
It seems to me that Goodell is hardest on those that are either not contrite serial offenders.

Bronco4ever
08-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Talib is certainly not the brightest bulb in the box, but unless there's a lot more information that hasn't been shared with the public, I feel like any suspension would be based almost entirely on speculation. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

NightTerror218
08-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Lately NFL has waiting until the legal stuff finishes before they concider a suspension even if they investigate it now.

Simple Jaded
08-08-2016, 10:14 PM
I actually take Goodell's side in most of these, people seem to forget how out of control players were under Tagliabue, with minimal consequences.

I love Talib, my favorite player, I'ma hate it if he's suspended

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-08-2016, 10:26 PM
I've believed from the beginning he shot himself. Nevertheless I don't see how the league could suspend a potential "victim" if there's no proof he shot himself or had a gun that night. It would be a black eye for the league.

Joel
08-09-2016, 01:21 AM
Shooting Under The Influence
CARRYING under the Influence OR Carrying at a Bar, BOTH of which are crimes.

they have the power to try, certainly. . . personally, i just can't see how a suspension would hold up to an appeal-- not unless SOME type of evidence comes to light, because right now there is zilch. . . brady isn't an accurate comparison-- he actively destroyed evidence and refused to cooperate. . .
As Wave noted, the new CBA made appeals of DISCIPLINARY rulings essentially worthless, until/unless the SCOTUS says otherwise. Don't hold your breath; even if dealing with such trivial BS weren't far beneath it, most of its important considerations (which the NFL CBA certainly wouldn't be) will conclude in 4-4 tie that sustains the lower court rulings by default, unless/until a president AND Senate majority (supermajority as long as nominations may be filibustered) agree to seat a 9th justice. Even then, Brady's already said he won't appeal his latest judgment, so Talib would have to wage a whole new series of legal battles on his own.

As for the OP, I long ago "resigned" myself to Roby taking Talibs spot, and continually fail to see how that would be a bad thing. The only real question is whether, since both Harris and Roby have proven themselves excellent both outside and in the slot, one of them should resume playing the slot while we assign #2 WRs to Webster, Doss or whoever one considers our 4th best CB.

Either way we don't have a guy >30 at a speed position who regularly misses games due to suspension and injuries caused by the streetfighter mentality that defines him both on and off the field; we certainly won't be paying $12M/yr (what's that, about $1½M/game?)

Valar Morghulis
08-09-2016, 02:09 AM
If talib lived in deadwood he would be in the clear.

The clear lesson here is to be more like deadwood. Take note.

MOtorboat
08-09-2016, 02:51 AM
Joel's dick has been stiff since the article was posted.

OrangeHoof
08-09-2016, 03:05 AM

Drunken Dumbass With Deadly Weapon or DDWDW

Despite a front-loaded schedule, this might be a blessing in disguise as the slightly-built Aqib might be less beaten down when the postseason rolls around.

sneakers
08-09-2016, 06:18 AM
just keep your mouth shut and they can't prove anything

TXBRONC
08-09-2016, 07:17 AM
Talib is certainly not the brightest bulb in the box, but unless there's a lot more information that hasn't been shared with the public, I feel like any suspension would be based almost entirely on speculation. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Goodell is more than capable of doing that. However, it seems to me that his m.o. is that if a player is contrite and it isn't serial offender Goodell is usually easier on them.

TXBRONC
08-09-2016, 07:19 AM
Drunken Dumbass With Deadly Weapon or DDWDW

Despite a front-loaded schedule, this might be a blessing in disguise as the slightly-built Aqib might be less beaten down when the postseason rolls around.

Talib is 6'1" and 205 lbs I don't think that's considered slight-built for a corner.

ShaneFalco
08-09-2016, 08:22 AM
https://66.media.tumblr.com/6f67839c633a5109cfb74bc7288cb602/tumblr_o1hki3cRvu1retk9go1_500.gif

Valar Morghulis
08-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Talib sorry

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-09-2016, 09:36 AM
Heed this bit of sage advice, "don't shoot yourself in the ass."

The Glue Factory
08-09-2016, 09:49 AM

I just can't see how that can happen unless you are actually trying to shoot yourself. It seems to me that he was shot (not by his own bad self) then later said he shot himself to avoid perceived troubles that telling the truth may have caused.

TXBRONC
08-09-2016, 09:53 AM
I just can't see how that can happen unless you are actually trying to shoot yourself. It seems to me that he was shot (not by his own bad self) then later said he shot himself to avoid perceived troubles that telling the truth may have caused.

Aren't there ways of telling if a wound was self-inflicted?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-09-2016, 10:18 AM

No one knows for sure who wasn't there, but the downward angle of the bullet going through his bicep femoris, then his calf, suggests he squeezed a round off whole trying to pull the gun out of the back of his pants.

Poet
08-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Did they not take his clothing? From what I know -I am not purporting to be an expert- they usually take the clothing of the victims in a shooting. If he shot himself his pants should have been loaded with gun powder/residue.

OrangeHoof
08-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Talib is 6'1" and 205 lbs I don't think that's considered slight-built for a corner.

Then maybe the word "fragile" would be more apt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZQU8nrtyL4

Remember, he let 5-9 Wes Welker punk his ass in the playoffs.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-09-2016, 10:45 AM
Did they not take his clothing? From what I know -I am not purporting to be an expert- they usually take the clothing of the victims in a shooting. If he shot himself his pants should have been loaded with gun powder/residue.

If he was victimized at point blank range gum powder would be there, in that instance as well. The only difference I'm aware of is if he discharged it while still in his pants, opposed to just getting it out of his pants. They could also check his hands for gun powder, but he could simply lie and say he put his hands behind him as gun went off.

Poet
08-09-2016, 10:53 AM
If he was victimized at point blank range gum powder would be there, in that instance as well. The only difference I'm aware of is if he discharged it while still in his pants, opposed to just getting it out of his pants. They could also check his hands for gun powder, but he could simply lie and say he put his hands behind him as gun went off.

I'm just saying if he shot himself with the gun in his pocket is all. I didn't make that explicitly clear.

TXBRONC
08-09-2016, 03:53 PM

I didn't know bullets were made with gum powder. :D

slim
08-09-2016, 04:06 PM
I didn't know getting shot was against the law.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-09-2016, 04:08 PM
I'm just saying if he shot himself with the gun in his pocket is all. I didn't make that explicitly clear.

You're done being explicit up in this piece Mr.

slim
08-09-2016, 04:10 PM

I prefer to take it out of my pants before I discharge.

weazel
08-09-2016, 04:19 PM
I prefer to take it out of my pants before I discharge.

:drum:

slim
08-09-2016, 04:23 PM

I will be here all week....

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-09-2016, 04:34 PM
I will be here all week....

Thanks for the warning bro!

OrangeHoof
08-09-2016, 05:25 PM
"...is that a gun in your pants or are you just happy to see me?"

TXBRONC
08-09-2016, 06:52 PM
"...is that a gun in your pants or are you just happy to see me?"

Your delivery was limp.

Poet
08-09-2016, 08:32 PM
I've believed from the beginning he shot himself. Nevertheless I don't see how the league could suspend a potential "victim" if there's no proof he shot himself or had a gun that night. It would be a black eye for the league.

Oh he definitely shot himself. But with that being said, I'm more interested in what can be proven. If the cops can't prove it the league can still suspend someone, even if it is (or is not depending on your view) crappy to do so.

Talib should never have Plaxico'd himself.

Dapper Dan
08-09-2016, 08:55 PM

I know a guy who shot off the toe that's beside his big toe, and he did it with a shotgun. We call him "nine toes".

Simple Jaded
08-09-2016, 10:05 PM
Ya gonna be the 9-toe havin-ist, limpin-est bitch in Harlem if you don't put down that knife.

JPPT1974
08-09-2016, 10:24 PM
Really what he did really was not too cool. In a bar and with a gun!

Simple Jaded
08-09-2016, 10:29 PM

That's beautiful, what poem is that from? Is that James Joyce?

Valar Morghulis
08-09-2016, 11:56 PM
I know a guy who shot off the toe that's beside his big toe, and he did it with a shotgun. We call him "nine toes".

There's a stereotype foreigners have of the American South right there

MOtorboat
08-10-2016, 12:35 AM
There's a stereotype foreigners have of the American South right there

Is it a stereotype if it's true?

Joel
08-10-2016, 03:44 AM
Then maybe the word "fragile" would be more apt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZQU8nrtyL4

Remember, he let 5-9 Wes Welker punk his ass in the playoffs.
It's not that he's "slightly built," it's that he "plays physically" (i.e. why COVER if you can just eye-gouge or deliberately try to decapitate guys by their facemask?) Yet whether his "style" on and off the field costs him games due to injury or suspension, the effect's the same: You're still paying $10M ($12M next year) for 16 or more games/season but getting LESS. Now that he's >30 at a speed position, aggression and injury will define his game even MORE as age slows both his feet and healing.

Meanwhile, the oldest of our OTHER top 4 CBs just turned 27 two months ago, and we could re-sign BOTH others through 2020 for less than Talib's costing. The reality is he's probably gone in a year or two anyway; no one wants an injury-prone slow 33-year-old CB demanding $15M/yr to play 10 games and be hurt and/or suspended for the rest. Why drag it out and our secondary down when we have two talented young CBs on rookie contracts that we must renew or end before then?

GEM
08-10-2016, 07:29 AM
It's not that he's "slightly built," it's that he "plays physically" (i.e. why COVER if you can just eye-gouge or deliberately try to decapitate guys by their facemask?) Yet whether his "style" on and off the field costs him games due to injury or suspension, the effect's the same: You're still paying $10M ($12M next year) for 16 or more games/season but getting LESS. Now that he's >30 at a speed position, aggression and injury will define his game even MORE as age slows both his feet and healing.

Meanwhile, the oldest of our OTHER top 4 CBs just turned 27 two months ago, and we could re-sign BOTH others through 2020 for less than Talib's costing. The reality is he's probably gone in a year or two anyway; no one wants an injury-prone slow 33-year-old CB demanding $15M/yr to play 10 games and be hurt and/or suspended for the rest. Why drag it out and our secondary down when we have two talented young CBs on rookie contracts that we must renew or end before then?
It's in print just about everywhere just what Talub brings to the defense besides his play. He brings the attitude and grit. It's noticeable when he's not there. His teammates say he is their energy. You may hate the guy, but he is an integral part of what makes this defense great. And his passion is not easily replaceable. Let it go.

slim
08-10-2016, 07:40 AM
Is it a stereotype if it's true?

This is bullshit.

I know a lot of people from the south and less than 60% of them have blown of their toes with a shotgun.

The Glue Factory
08-10-2016, 09:53 AM
This is bullshit.

I know a lot of people from the south and less than 60% of them have blown of their toes with a shotgun.

Does that mean over 50% of them have blown off their toes with a shotgun?

TXBRONC
08-10-2016, 10:03 AM
100% of my friends have not blown a row with a shot gun or any other type of firearm.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-10-2016, 10:13 AM
"9 Toes" sounds like a hit man from Brooklyn.

TXBRONC
08-10-2016, 10:21 AM

Louie "9 Toes" hit man for Corleone family.

Davii
08-10-2016, 10:42 AM
I know someone who shot themselves in the foot getting their gun out of the holster at the range. Needless to say, they didn't pass the course required for a concealed carry weapon. Thank God.

Slick
08-10-2016, 10:52 AM
Losing him for 8 games would suck. Roby wouldn't be much of a step down skill wise but his fiestyness would surely be missed. You can call what he did in the Superbowl bone headed but he let Carolina know they were in a street fight against a bully.

dogfish
08-10-2016, 11:07 AM
It's in print just about everywhere just what Talub brings to the defense besides his play. He brings the attitude and grit. It's noticeable when he's not there. His teammates say he is their energy. You may hate the guy, but he is an integral part of what makes this defense great. And his passion is not easily replaceable. Let it go.

lol! joel is physically incapable of letting anything go. . . it's why he's such a world champion whiner. . .

Dapper Dan
08-10-2016, 12:30 PM

Even moreso is Johnny Nine. He's missing a finger. I don't know him very well though.

BroncoJoe
08-10-2016, 05:13 PM
I'm know as Joey ninehair.

Timmy!
08-10-2016, 05:40 PM
100% of my friends have not blown a row.

So.....just an aisle then?

TXBRONC
08-10-2016, 05:40 PM

Joel doesn't let anything go. :deadhorse:

Simple Jaded
08-10-2016, 10:02 PM

LuEjEZioD4I

It's a madam from Harlem.

dogfish
08-10-2016, 10:04 PM
"By God, sir, I will not abide another toe!!"

Joel
08-11-2016, 12:14 AM
Von, Ware and Wolfe bring plenty of energy and grit suspension-free (at least since Von exitted the NFL drug protocol.) So does Ward, who seems to have found a LEGAL way to be a gritty enforcer since the eye-gouge incident. I still wish he covered better, but there's a lot to be said for a CLEAN mean hitting machine.

Let TALIB go. He's only four years younger than Champ was his last good season, but "it's not the age, it's the mileage." Even if Talib in his prime were as good as Champ in his (which he's certainly not) the WAY he plays puts far more wear and tear on his body. Throw in a 40 time 0.15 seconds slower and a $10M salary that rises to $12M next year and I'd be VERY surprised if Talib's on the 2017 roster. Not with Roby and Webster lurking.

GEM
08-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Von, Ware and Wolfe bring plenty of energy and grit suspension-free (at least since Von exitted the NFL drug protocol.) So does Ward, who seems to have found a LEGAL way to be a gritty enforcer since the eye-gouge incident. I still wish he covered better, but there's a lot to be said for a CLEAN mean hitting machine.

Let TALIB go. He's only four years younger than Champ was his last good season, but "it's not the age, it's the mileage." Even if Talib in his prime were as good as Champ in his (which he's certainly not) the WAY he plays puts far more wear and tear on his body. Throw in a 40 time 0.15 seconds slower and a $10M salary that rises to $12M next year and I'd be VERY surprised if Talib's on the 2017 roster. Not with Roby and Webster lurking.

You can say that til you are blue in the face. I am telling you what his TEAMMATES say. He is their energy, he is their attitude. Ware is a silent leader, yes, he leads but he doesn't give the defense their grit. Same with Von, with as many variables as he has, focusing the defense and picking them up energy wise is not one of them. TJ has grit, but Talib's own teammates spell it out very clearly for you, but you refuse to listen. If he's not on the field, they feel it. There is something missing. They said just the time in training camp that he wasn't there, it was felt.

He'll be a cap casualty next year most likely, so you'll get your wish...but it won't be for all the other stuff, it will be the money.

Davii
08-11-2016, 09:24 AM

When Wade Phillips agrees with you, I will. Until then I defer to their judgment and continue to maintain your anger is clouding your judgment. The coaches and front office that won the SB last year know more about this team and football in general than any of us, including you, do. I know it's weird, but it's true.

The best secondary in the NFL, and he is the leader of it. That means something. So sayeth John Elway, Gary Kubiak, and Wade Phillips.

Poet
08-11-2016, 09:39 AM
If a man isn't free to shoot himself in the ass then this isn't America.

BroncoJoe
08-11-2016, 09:41 AM

This is the best post you've had in a long, long time!

Congrats!

Davii
08-11-2016, 09:42 AM

Give me liberty to allegedly shoot myself in the ass, or give me a cheeseburger! THAT is the question. Make accidental shootings great again!

Poet
08-11-2016, 09:44 AM
Give me liberty to allegedly shoot myself in the ass, or give me a cheeseburger! THAT is the question. Make accidental shootings great again!

One day we will be great enough to get cheeseburgers WHILE shooting ourselves in an accidental fashion in our ass....allegedly.

Davii
08-11-2016, 09:48 AM
One day we will be great enough to get cheeseburgers WHILE shooting ourselves in an accidental fashion in our ass....allegedly.

Does it have to be accidental fashion? Could it just be fashion? Like, can I shoot myself in the ass while wearing skinny jeans? I'd like to shoot guys that wear skinny jeans in the ass.

Poet
08-11-2016, 09:49 AM
Does it have to be accidental fashion? Could it just be fashion? Like, can I shoot myself in the ass while wearing skinny jeans? I'd like to shoot guys that wear skinny jeans in the ass.

This raises a wonderful question! If it's my gun, jeans, ass, bullet, and cheeseburger....then god be blessed I'm going to do what I want!

BroncoJoe
08-11-2016, 09:55 AM

Buff is NOT going to like this comment.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Dave, if you shoot someone in the ass who wears skinny jeans I'll buy a cheeseburger for you!

Davii
08-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Buff is NOT going to like this comment.

Does Buff wear skinny jeans? I saw he was drinking tequila last night, so I feel it's possible he may have grown out of that phase? Well, I guess "grown out of" is poorly worded in this case since the jeans, by definition, are entirely too small already.

Davii
08-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Dave, if you shoot someone in the ass who wears skinny jeans I'll buy a cheeseburger for you!

In say, 10-15 with good behavior?

BroncoJoe
08-11-2016, 10:06 AM
In say, 10-15 with good behavior?

I think you could be acquitted, based on it being a justified homicide.

Davii
08-11-2016, 10:09 AM
I think you could be acquitted, based on it being a justified homicide.

Homicide? Well, most people who wear skinny jeans do have either their heads or a stick up their ass, so I guess it's possible...

slim
08-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Does Buff wear skinny jeans?

Exclusively.

TXBRONC
08-11-2016, 10:47 AM

Apparently you don't know how Champ played.

VonDoom
08-11-2016, 02:05 PM
I can't listen to this clip at work, but Reddit summarized. This thread began with the Schefter quote, which he says here "got twisted":

Here's the audio where Schefter touches on a multiple topics. He begins discussing the Talib comments at the 4:40 mark.

Schefter claims that when he made mention of Talib being suspended for 8 games ( which we discussed here ), he says his "words got twisted" and stressed that the speculation of an 8 game suspension was made the day after the incident and that the person who made those comments was not a league official who had studied the case, it was someone's "informed speculation" about how the league has generally handled those incidents. It was speculation made before any information was released, and there was no report that Talib is facing an 8 game suspension, it was just "one person's theory." Talking to people now, he continues to think there's "a real chance" that there will be some form of discipline, but doesn't know if it's 1 game, 2 games, a fine, or what. He emphasized that there's no information on what truly happened and added that "everyone is waiting to see how it unfolds" and that he never suggested he was facing 8 games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/4x8xz0/adam_schefter_claims_comments_speculating_an_8/

Slick
08-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Whoops!

Timmy!
08-11-2016, 02:36 PM
Ha.

slim
08-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Except if you listened to the interview, like I did, you would know that he said this 2 or 3 days ago (not when the incident first happened) and that he is now trying to cover his ass.

BroncoJoe
08-11-2016, 02:49 PM
Except if you listened to the interview, like I did, you would know that he said this 2 or 3 days ago (not when the incident first happened) and that he is now trying to cover his ass.

He should have done that before getting shot!

TXBRONC
08-11-2016, 03:13 PM
Joel should be in here soon to tell us what Schefter meant complete with graphs, charts, and statistics.

NightTerror218
08-11-2016, 05:58 PM
IMO talib will be playing his last year here. I do nit think he will have a cap hit relasing him. And i think it will be Robys time to shine.

Simple Jaded
08-11-2016, 08:43 PM

hDoGqZUHVEI

TXBRONC
08-11-2016, 10:07 PM
IMO talib will be playing his last year here. I do nit think he will have a cap hit relasing him. And i think it will be Robys time to shine.

It's very possible but it's a year away so things could change.

NightTerror218
08-16-2016, 04:58 PM
It's very possible but it's a year away so things could change.

For sure, but i do not want to risk losing roby if it came down to the two. I would rather use talib's money to lock him up long term.

Joel
08-17-2016, 01:07 AM
For sure, but i do not want to risk losing roby if it came down to the two. I would rather use talib's money to lock him up long term.
This is what I'm saying, with a healthy does of "and Webster." If I recall Spotrac correctly (and their numbers are accurate) we'd eat $2M of dead money cutting Talib at seasons end, but still save an even $10M since he's scheduled to make $12M next year. $10M is a lot of cap space; if I had to and COULD choose between keeping Talib or Emmanuel Sanders the decision wouldn't take a moments thought.

But even in terms solely of the secondary, going from Harris, Talib, Roby, Ward and Stewart to Harris, Roby, Webster, Ward and Stewart would still give us by far the best NFL secondary AND save a ton of cap space to use elsewhere. If memory serves, both Stewart and Webster are in the final years of their contract, too, so cutting Talib to re-sign both of them would make that much more sense in 2017.

NightTerror218
08-17-2016, 01:34 PM
This is what I'm saying, with a healthy does of "and Webster." If I recall Spotrac correctly (and their numbers are accurate) we'd eat $2M of dead money cutting Talib at seasons end, but still save an even $10M since he's scheduled to make $12M next year. $10M is a lot of cap space; if I had to and COULD choose between keeping Talib or Emmanuel Sanders the decision wouldn't take a moments thought.

But even in terms solely of the secondary, going from Harris, Talib, Roby, Ward and Stewart to Harris, Roby, Webster, Ward and Stewart would still give us by far the best NFL secondary AND save a ton of cap space to use elsewhere. If memory serves, both Stewart and Webster are in the final years of their contract, too, so cutting Talib to re-sign both of them would make that much more sense in 2017.

Talib could very well be a cap casualty due $12 M. But we Roby has this season and next season on rookie contract and 2018 the 5th year option. He will be around a while still. I am thinking long term and guys coming up on contract years. If talib is 100% then he could be around for another year. Roby should be a broncos for a long time though.

TXBRONC
08-17-2016, 04:35 PM

I do not see Roby being lost to free agency.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-17-2016, 04:48 PM
I do not see Roby being lost to free agency.

Roby is under contract for 3 more years, if we choose to exercise the 5th year option. It seems a little premature to worry about losing him.

TXBRONC
08-17-2016, 05:32 PM
Roby is under contract for 3 more years, if we choose to exercise the 5th year option. It seems a little premature to worry about losing him.

I was just responding to NT. Nevertheless, barring him falling off the face of earth as player he'll be in Denver for long time beyond rookie contract.

NightTerror218
08-17-2016, 10:28 PM
I was just responding to NT. Nevertheless, barring him falling off the face of earth as player he'll be in Denver for long time beyond rookie contract.

I am more qorried about not atarting him and for 2 years along with talibs 2 year remaining. Then its 5th yr option and franchise tag. Not Letting him start for 2 more years would not make him happy.

VonDoom
08-18-2016, 06:31 AM
I am more qorried about not atarting him and for 2 years along with talibs 2 year remaining. Then its 5th yr option and franchise tag. Not Letting him start for 2 more years would not make him happy.

As a nickle corner, he basically is a starter anyway.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-18-2016, 12:46 PM
Denver Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib is not expected to face discipline from the NFL for his involvement in an offseason shooting that left him wounded, sources with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

Although Talib isn't expected to face discipline, that could change if police uncover new evidence in their investigation of the shooting, Rapoport added.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000704168/article/talib-not-expected-to-face-nfl-discipline-for-shooting

MOtorboat
09-18-2016, 12:46 PM
rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000704168/article/talib-not-expected-to-face-nfl-discipline-for-shooting

Joel is so pissed right now.

Simple Jaded
09-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Worth it!

Broncoknight30
09-18-2016, 07:42 PM
I am wondering why it takes sooooo long to make a decision. They have a police report, read it, and decide. I am wondering why these things take as long as they do.

ShaneFalco
09-18-2016, 07:43 PM
i heard they dismissed the idea of suspending him

Denver Native (Carol)
10-04-2016, 08:11 PM
The Dallas police department’s four-month investigation into the June 5 shooting of Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib is complete and it has determined that Talib shot himself, according to a WFAA television report that cited sources. The report also stated that no charges would be filed against Talib.

Brian McCarthy, the NFL’s vice president of communications, said they are still reviewing the incident for any possible league discipline. Talib would be subject to possible discipline under the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

Dallas police senior corporal Tramese Andrews of the media relations department said: “I have not been made aware of any new information regarding that incident and cannot confirm any information regarding your request” in reference to confirmation of the WFAA report.

The Broncos did not have a comment on the report.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/04/dallas-police-june-shooting-broncos-aqib-talib-shot-himself/

Davii
10-05-2016, 11:50 AM
i heard they dismissed the idea of suspending him

"Pending further information". The question is, does the fact that the DPD finished their investigation without finding anything further constitute "further information"? It's up to the league. However, DPD is not charging Aqib specifically because they know they can't prove wrong doing. If they knew they could prove it I'm sure they'd be asking the DA to press charges.

VonDoom
10-05-2016, 12:12 PM
"Pending further information". The question is, does the fact that the DPD finished their investigation without finding anything further constitute "further information"? It's up to the league. However, DPD is not charging Aqib specifically because they know they can't prove wrong doing. If they knew they could prove it I'm sure they'd be asking the DA to press charges.

I thought they might wait until the police finished their investigation to at least set a baseline. But as we know, Goodell doesn't need legal action to start arbitrarily handing out suspensions, so it could still happen.

weazel
10-05-2016, 12:56 PM
4 games

NightTerror218
10-05-2016, 01:27 PM
So according to police chief, he did not confirm that report that talib shot himself was their determination.

Timmy!
10-05-2016, 01:32 PM
So according to police chief, he did not confirm that report that talib shot himself was their determination.

This^ sentence makes my head hurt.

TXBRONC
10-05-2016, 01:37 PM
I thought they might wait until the police finished their investigation to at least set a baseline. But as we know, Goodell doesn't need legal action to start arbitrarily handing out suspensions, so it could still happen.

It seem that with Goodell if player is contrite he will usually go a little easier on them.

LawDog
10-05-2016, 03:36 PM
It seem that with Goodell if player is contrite he will usually go a little easier on them.

I just looked up contrite. There was a picture of Talib.

er, maybe not.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-05-2016, 04:06 PM

er, maybe not.

Was it sketched, like the old Webster's collegiate dictionary?

TXBRONC
10-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Was it sketched, like the old Webster's collegiate dictionary?

mug shot

NightTrainLayne
10-05-2016, 06:36 PM

er, maybe not.

He sorry.

NightTerror218
10-05-2016, 06:40 PM
The police have not released a statement.....just a "source" inside police department said it. Police Chief did not comfirm what "source" said.

See what commissioner thinks of this. No evidence, no charges, basically he said she said thing.