PDA

View Full Version : Five years in, John Elway reflects on his tenure as Broncos GM so far

BroncoJoe
08-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Pretty good read - part one of two, with the second coming Monday.

In five years, Elway has built a legacy in office much the way he did on the field. His knowledge and experience is complemented by an unquenchable thirst to beat everyone in everything.

And then find a way to do it all over again.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/07/john-elway-tenure-broncos-gm/

Denver Native (Carol)
08-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Editor’s note: This begins a two-part series featuring Broncos general manager John Elway. Here we share his reflections on his first five years running the team.

Coming Monday: Elway discusses the 2016 team and his expectations.

John Elway is running out of room. His office suite on the top floor of Broncos headquarters at Dove Valley is brimming with memories of his playing years and executive years and the few years that fell between them.

Broncos and Stanford helmets are strewn throughout, adorning a conference table and a coffee table and the large cherry bookshelf that extends from his desk and consumes the entire back wall. There is Frank Tripucka’s brown 18 helmet from the Broncos of the early 1960s. There is Elway’s blue helmet with the orange D and huffing Bronco. And there is the shiniest of the bunch, an all-gold Super Bowl 50 helmet he received only six months ago.

Framed Sports Illustrated covers and snapshots from his Super Bowl victories as a quarterback hang above, along with photos of him and longtime Broncos owner Pat Bowlen. Stacked on the shelves below are binders of 2010 end-of-season player evaluations, 2011 coaching-search notes and 2016 draft evaluations, carefully grouped between and behind family photos. The most recent notebooks, of course, rest on his desk, ready for review — again.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/07/john-elway-tenure-broncos-gm/

Poet
08-07-2016, 01:22 PM
I read this article three times. I liked it. It was a good article. I enjoy the fact that Elway has crafted a competitive team through multiple contexts.

tomjonesrocks
08-07-2016, 01:44 PM
This is ridiculous - "— Only GM in past five years to acquire future Pro Bowlers through the draft, street free agency, unrestricted free agency and college free agency."

The note about only Mike Adams making the Pro Bowl after leaving is interesting too.

TXBRONC
08-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Intrestingly Elway and Kubiak have been with Broncos 28 of the last 33 years. The team has only one losing season Elway and Kubiak both on the team.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-07-2016, 06:41 PM
Editor’s note: Second of a two-part series featuring Broncos general manager John Elway. Today Elway discusses the team and his expectations. Sunday, we shared his reflections on his first five years in the front office.

Elway: “When people are doubting you, it adds that incentive”

John Elway has always had this habit of trying to make the impossible possible. Five years into his tenure as the head of Broncos football operations, little has changed.

Most mornings, about an hour into his team’s training camp practices, he saunters over to the sideline, clad in his usual navy Broncos shorts and aviator sunglasses, and quietly finds a spot at the 30-yard-line. He folds his arms, crosses his legs and sets in to watch drills, occasionally welcoming small talk with assistant coaches and even hosting a few guests, all while keeping his eyes fixated on the 90 men in front of him.

Elway is trying to blend in, an all-but-impossible feat for the face of a franchise.

“Just to be around them, because I don’t get them in meeting rooms,” he says. “I just try to hang, and you get a feel for guys and personalities and how they fit.”

AND

“I can understand that he didn’t want to sit down and have Peyton come back in that San Diego game, but it wasn’t the fact that Brock was playing bad,” Elway said. “We needed a change of something. So I was a little surprised just how he seemed to be a little bent out of shape about that. But he had an opportunity to make a tremendous amount of money in Houston, and for us, it just didn’t fit.”

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/07/john-elway-denver-broncos-2016-expectations/

BroncoWave
08-07-2016, 07:02 PM
“I can understand that he didn’t want to sit down and have Peyton come back in that San Diego game, but it wasn’t the fact that Brock was playing bad,” Elway said. “We needed a change of something. So I was a little surprised just how he seemed to be a little bent out of shape about that. But he had an opportunity to make a tremendous amount of money in Houston, and for us, it just didn’t fit.”

#shade
#styledon
#hesorry

TXBRONC
08-07-2016, 07:08 PM
#shade
#styledon
#hesorry

#notworththatkindofcash

BroncoJoe
08-07-2016, 07:09 PM
:(

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/604226-Five-years-in-John-Elway-reflects-on-his-tenure-as-Broncos-GM-so-far?p=2515564#post2515564

FanInAZ
08-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Resume as GM so far
68-22 Regular Season Record
6-4 Post Season Record
5 Post Season Appearances
4 Division Titles
2 AFC Titles
1 Super Bowl Title

I’ll give him a passing grade :nod:

FanInAZ
08-07-2016, 07:26 PM
:(

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/604226-Five-years-in-John-Elway-reflects-on-his-tenure-as-Broncos-GM-so-far?p=2515564#post2515564

We all like Carol better :whoknows:

BroncoWave
08-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Resume as GM so far
68-22 Regular Season Record
6-4 Post Season Record
5 Post Season Appearances
4 Division Titles
2 AFC Titles
1 Super Bowl Title

I’ll give him a passing grade :nod:

Yeah he's done ok I guess.

Simple Jaded
08-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Intrestingly Elway and Kubiak have been with Broncos 28 of the last 33 years. The team has only one losing season Elway and Kubiak both on the team.

And the 5 years without one of them the Broncos missed the playoffs 5 times.

TXBRONC
08-08-2016, 07:30 AM
And the 5 years without one of them the Broncos missed the playoffs 5 times.

It's pretty amazing.

VonDoom
08-08-2016, 08:30 AM
Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Sanchez here, but it's basically what we've all been saying anyway:

“To be able to get Mark and then have Trevor that we drafted last year who’s having a good camp and a guy that we believe can be the future in Paxton — it’s just a matter of him coming along and continuing to improve,” Elway said. “It may not look as good from the outside as people want it to look. But we feel pretty good about how it looks from the inside. We feel good about that spot in the years to come and of what Mark can do. We think he’s got the ability, if we get him in the right situation, to be a very sufficient and adequate quarterback.”

TXBRONC
08-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Sanchez here, but it's basically what we've all been saying anyway:

That goes along with camp analysis of Boyer, Milani, and Mason. Every time they speak about the quarterback competition they about how tight the competition and no has shown themself clearly above the others. While, I suppose one could make the argument that's not great news for Siemian and Lynch imo it's more detrimental to Sanchez.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Elway: “We were very lucky to have him for those four years”

Hanging outside John Elway’s office is a large, custom painting made from a pair of photographs. In the background is Elway, in his orange No. 7 Broncos jersey, scanning the field as he drops back to pass. In the foreground is Peyton Manning, in his orange No. 18, already in mid-throw.

From 1983-99, Elway was the face and the leader of the Broncos’ offense that appeared in five Super Bowls and won two. From 2012-16, after a whirlwind free agency and recovery from four neck surgeries, Manning led the charge, supplanting fan-favorite Tim Tebow to guide the Broncos to two more Super Bowl appearances and a third title.

The quarterbacks will be forever linked and stand together in one of the many keepsakes scattered throughout the team’s UCHealth Training Center.

Elway sat down with The Denver Post last week to reflect on his time in the front office and his hopes for his current team. He also opened up about those few weeks in March 2012, when Manning’s free-agency tour ended with a $96 million deal with the Broncos.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/08/john-elway-on-signing-peyton-manning-denver-broncos/

The Glue Factory
08-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Manning led the charge, supplanting fan-favorite Tim Tebow

No. There were Denver Broncos fans and Tebow fans. The two should most definitely NOT be confused with each other.

BroncoWave
08-08-2016, 01:28 PM
No. There were Denver Broncos fans and Tebow fans. The two should most definitely NOT be confused with each other.

There were quite a few Broncos fans who were also big Tebow supporters. I was one of them at the time. Yeah the most obnoxious ones were just Tebow fanboys, but he was still very popular among actual Broncos fans.

BroncoJoe
08-08-2016, 01:30 PM

I support anyone and everyone that wears the Orange and Blue.

TXBRONC
08-08-2016, 01:43 PM
I don't think TGF means that all Denver didn't support Tebow. There was a small segment that follow Tebow purely because they were Florida fans first and foremost. It probably safe to say that isn't happening with our current group of quarterbacks.

The Glue Factory
08-08-2016, 02:15 PM
I don't think TGF means that all Denver didn't support Tebow. There was a small segment that follow Tebow purely because they were Florida fans first and foremost. It probably safe to say that isn't happening with our current group of quarterbacks.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

The two are not mutually exclusive. I cheered for Tebow while he was a Bronco, but my loyalty was to Denver first. I would say that much (the vast majority, in fact) of Tebow's popularity was from the fan boys.

Simple Jaded
08-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Yall remember Tebowmania differently than I do.

I remember Elway getting shit on, Stink getting booed, fancard police, excuses galore, delusions of grandeur, radical and obscenely stupid ideas of how the offense should run, scapegoating out the ass, hyperbole UP THE ASS.

All from Broncos fans.

Elway had to sign Peyton ******* Manning to justify moving on from the single worst passer of the modern passing era, and that's not hyperbole, all because of Broncos fans. Not Gator/religious fans.

You watch, if Lynch doesn't improve significantly he will never start for the Denver Broncos, and he's light years ahead of Tebow. I say this because Tebow should have never been the "starter" to begin with.

TXBRONC
08-09-2016, 07:46 AM
Yall remember Tebowmania differently than I do.

I remember Elway getting shit on, Stink getting booed, fancard police, excuses galore, delusions of grandeur, radical and obscenely stupid ideas of how the offense should run, scapegoating out the ass, hyperbole UP THE ASS.

All from Broncos fans.

Elway had to sign Peyton ******* Manning to justify moving on from the single worst passer of the modern passing era, and that's not hyperbole, all because of Broncos fans. Not Gator/religious fans.

You watch, if Lynch doesn't improve significantly he will never start for the Denver Broncos, and he's light years ahead of Tebow. I say this because Tebow should have never been the "starter" to begin with.

All I said there was a segment that was here purely here for Tebow because he went to Florida and they left when Tebow was traded. That said, I don't deny there were some Bronco fans that were hardline Tebow fans. I remember very well the crap Elway took. The one that sticks out in my mind was the crap he took after the Broncos beat the Jets in a Thursday Night game because he didn't cheer hard enough when Tebow scored the winning touchdown. I remember one fan called into the Brandon Spano show screamed how he expected Elway to be jumping up and down pumping his fist when his quarterback score the winning touchdown in game.