PDA

View Full Version : Mile High Stadium naming rights headed to the Denver Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2016, 10:46 AM
The naming rights contract for Mile High Stadium likely will land in the hands of the Denver Broncos.

Sports Authority plans to sell the naming-rights contract for the Denver football stadium to the reigning National Football League champions, according to filings made in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

The bankrupt sporting goods retailer — which has shuttered its stores nationwide and liquidated its assets — had enlisted Hilco Streambank to market the naming rights contract Sports Authority assumed in 2011 for Mile High Stadium in Denver.

That move was contested by the Metropolitan Football Stadium District, the public entity that owns the stadium, as well as the Denver Broncos, which had a separate sponsorship agreement with the Englewood-based Sports Authority. In recent weeks, the Denver Broncos engaged in discussions with several current sponsors as well as potential partners about the stadium naming rights opportunity.

rest - interesting - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/03/mile-high-stadium-naming-rights-headed-denver-broncos/

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2016, 11:08 AM
from article:

In recent weeks, the Denver Broncos engaged in discussions with several current sponsors as well as potential partners about the stadium naming rights opportunity.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/03/mile-high-stadium-naming-rights-headed-denver-broncos/

And there is the following article

Broncos strike up talks to help lure naming-rights sponsor
Team talks with partners, other companies about sponsorships
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/30/broncos-strike-up-talks-to-help-lure-naming-rights-sponsor/

Wonder if there is a chance that the stadium will once again be named "Mile High Stadium", and then have companies names listed.

MOtorboat
08-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Name it Mile High Stadium and leave it be!

BroncoJoe
08-03-2016, 11:26 AM
I get it - they would like to have the revenue to keep the stadium up to date and do any renovations that will be required now and in the future.

I don't like stadiums being named, but frankly, it'll always be Mile High Stadium to me.

PS - if you notice with any of the previous sponsors, it's always XXX Field at Mile High Stadium.

MOtorboat
08-03-2016, 11:27 AM
I get it - they would like to have the revenue to keep the stadium up to date and do any renovations that will be required now and in the future.

I don't like stadiums being named, but frankly, it'll always be Mile High Stadium to me.

Is the metro still taxed on it, or did that hit it's sunset?

BroncoJoe
08-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Is the metro still taxed on it, or did that hit it's sunset?

It's done. At least I think it is...

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Sports Authority Field at Mile High tax ends, stadium finally paid off

http://www.westword.com/news/sports-authority-field-at-mile-high-tax-ends-stadium-finally-paid-off-5825178

slim
08-03-2016, 12:19 PM
Pat Bowlen Field.

NightTerror218
08-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Pat Bowlen Field.

At mile high

dogfish
08-03-2016, 12:51 PM
WEED stadium!!

-sincerely, falco

OrangeHoof
08-03-2016, 01:17 PM
"American Pot Growers Association Field at Mile High Stadium"

dogfish
08-03-2016, 01:32 PM
"American Pot Growers Association Field at Mile High Stadium"

nah, bruh. . . WEED stadium sounds way cooler!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2016, 01:43 PM
latest update to the DP article

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/03/mile-high-stadium-naming-rights-headed-denver-broncos/

BroncoJoe
08-03-2016, 01:48 PM
In the past, I'd guess that the citizens of Colorado (the whole state, not just Denver) would approve a .01% tax on goods to keep the name as just Mile High Stadium.

Unfortunately, we've experienced such substantial growth, with a lot of people coming in from other states it probably wouldn't pass today.

Joel
08-04-2016, 01:26 AM
I'm a little confused how a bankrupt company can sell a license back to a creditor who never actually lost OWNERSHIP of naming rights in the first place. I recall articles saying Sports Authority maintained its licensing fees even as it failed to pay all OTHER debts (maybe priorities like that is what bankrupted the company in the first place.) But if they're giving up that license now wouldn't that be a default that automatically put it back in the stadium districts possession to do with as it pleases? At the very least, if they're simply terminating their license agreement, wouldn't naming rights just as automatically revert to the stadiums owner?

I mean, they sold (or at least leased) Sports Authority the right to put their OWN name on it, not to auction that right off to the highest bidder. And even if that weren't so, if Sports Authority's UNABLE to find a buyer, wouldn't the end of the licensing agreement make the stadium district once again free to license whomever it wishes to name the stadium? If I told my landlord I'd lost my job and couldn't make next months rent, selling his apartment back to him wouldn't be an option: I'd just be on the street and he'd retain ownership of his property—not because I "sold" it back to him, but because it never stopped being his in the first place.

MOtorboat
08-04-2016, 02:09 AM
I'm a little confused how a bankrupt company can sell a license back to a creditor who never actually lost OWNERSHIP of naming rights in the first place. I recall articles saying Sports Authority maintained its licensing fees even as it failed to pay all OTHER debts (maybe priorities like that is what bankrupted the company in the first place.) But if they're giving up that license now wouldn't that be a default that automatically put it back in the stadium districts possession to do with as it pleases? At the very least, if they're simply terminating their license agreement, wouldn't naming rights just as automatically revert to the stadiums owner?

I mean, they sold (or at least leased) Sports Authority the right to put their OWN name on it, not to auction that right off to the highest bidder. And even if that weren't so, if Sports Authority's UNABLE to find a buyer, wouldn't the end of the licensing agreement make the stadium district once again free to license whomever it wishes to name the stadium? If I told my landlord I'd lost my job and couldn't make next months rent, selling his apartment back to him wouldn't be an option: I'd just be on the street and he'd retain ownership of his property—not because I "sold" it back to him, but because it never stopped being his in the first place.

The Broncos don't own the stadium, the public does via the stadium district. The Broncos have apparently sought to buy the naming rights, however. Huge, distinct difference.

Joel
08-04-2016, 05:47 AM
The Broncos don't own the stadium, the public does via the stadium district. The Broncos have apparently sought to buy the naming rights, however. Huge, distinct difference.
Ah, that makes sense; thanks for clarifying.

sneakers
08-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Name it what ever you want, I don't think they can do worse than the KFC YUM! Center

OrangeHoof
08-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Enron Field?

DenBronx
08-04-2016, 08:19 PM
Name it what ever you want, I don't think they can do worse than the KFC YUM! Center

Please don't challenge them. It could be called Obama stadium. That would really suck!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Basketball legend Chauncey Billups will have a say as the Denver Broncos’ home venue faces some big decisions, including finding a new naming sponsor.

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock appointed Billups to the nine-member board of the Metropolitan Football Stadium District, one of several board and commission appointments Hancock announced Friday.

“He is a great appointment and will bring his expertise on sports facilities and contracts. It will be beneficial to our board,” Matt Sugar, a spokesman for the district, said of Billups.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/12/mile-high-stadium-chauncey-billups/

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2016, 11:29 AM
DENVER -- The Denver Broncos now own the naming rights to Mile High Stadium.

The judge overseeing Sports Authority's bankruptcy approved the request by the Denver Broncos to assume the naming rights.

In a corrected court order issued on Tuesday, the judge wrote: "Effective as of August 18, 2016, the Debtors (Sports Authority) are authorized to assume and assign the Naming Rights Contract to the Broncos…"

"Except to the extent otherwise agreed in writing by the [Metropolitan Football Stadium District], the Broncos shall pay to the MFSD the payment of $3,601,890 that was due to the MFSD on August 1, 2016…"

rest - http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/denver-broncos-awarded-mile-high-stadium-naming-rights-during-sports-authority-bankruptcy-case